*** The 2024 NBA Finals -- Boston vs Dallas -- Discussion ***

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
The NBA Finals start next Thursday, June 6th.

The format will be a 2-2-1-1-1 with the Celtics holding the HCA.

These teams met twice in the regular season...

January 22 @ Dallas

March 1st @ Boston

Please feel free to review those recaps and box scores on your own.

A few notes...

• Luke triple-doubles in both.
  • Celtics 21 three's in the 2nd meeting at home.
  • No KP in the Dallas home game.
  • Rebounds were won by a handful by each home team (48-44 and 47-42).

Series Price:

• Boston -205
  • Dallas +175

Game 1:

• Boston -6 and 214

Fire away!

Porzingis back should help Boston a lot if he is healthy.
Dallas has best two players on the floor, but huge gap after that.
Wonder if Jrue will be on Kyrie or Luca

Porzingis back should help Boston a lot if he is healthy.
Dallas has best two players on the floor, but huge gap after that.
Wonder if Jrue will be on Kyrie or Luca
How huge is the gap between Lively and Porzingis?

I can flat out say I'd rather have a healthy Lively than Tatum. If Boston wins the trophy it will be because of Jrue and White and I will have to admit that they are the worst team in my lifetime to win it all.

Jrue too small for Luka I’d think
If Jrue isn't on Kyrie they've already lost the series imo

A statue can guard Luka, he's going to score 30 most nights regardless of the defender. You want to beat Dallas, you make Kyrie a non-factor.

Jrue too small for Luka I’d think

I think a pesky ball defender will do fine because his ball handling isn't elite - hard to be as he's so tall. Jrue is so strong that he will hold up being backed down on. I'm not sure WTF the Wolves were doing letting Luka back into the paint in slow motion, and why they NEVER pressured the ball coming up the court. That offense is a lot easier to guard if Luka has the ball with 12 seconds left on the shot clock as he gets to the top of the key.

Also, White will do very well against him as he is the best shot-blocking guard in the league. Luka will have to adjust his shot—something he's done well this playoffs though.

To me, the Clippers and Thunder both got whatever they wanted from the Mavs defense. If Zinger is a go - this is an all time great team by the metrics and Lively playing 30 feet from the basket will open everything up and expose that slow Mavs backcourt. Mavs made up for their defense vs. Thunder by getting tons of gifted missed wide open shots from their opponent and outrebounding pathetic 4 RPG Chet.

Celtics defense I feel like is built to key on iso ball handlers. Off the ball movement like Pacers, and Warriors a couple of years ago, gave them problems.

I have both Jrue and White as better players than Kyrie. Celtics could have 5 of the 6 best players on the court and perhaps 8/10.

I think a pesky ball defender will do fine because his ball handling isn't elite - hard to be as he's so tall. Jrue is so strong that he will hold up being backed down on. I'm not sure WTF the Wolves were doing letting Luka back into the paint in slow motion, and why they NEVER pressured the ball coming up the court. That offense is a lot easier to guard if Luka has the ball with 12 seconds left on the shot clock as he gets to the top of the key.

Also, White will do very well against him as he is the best shot-blocking guard in the league. Luka will have to adjust his shot—something he's done well this playoffs though.

To me, the Clippers and Thunder both got whatever they wanted from the Mavs defense. If Zinger is a go - this is an all time great team by the metrics and Lively playing 30 feet from the basket will open everything up and expose that slow Mavs backcourt. Mavs made up for their defense vs. Thunder by getting tons of gifted missed wide open shots from their opponent and outrebounding pathetic 4 RPG Chet.

Celtics defense I feel like is built to key on iso ball handlers. Off the ball movement like Pacers, and Warriors a couple of years ago, gave them problems.

I have both Jrue and White as better players than Kyrie. Celtics could have 5 of the 6 best players on the court and perhaps 8/10.
All time great team?

We are watching two different NBAs. This is a random team that was gifted a shot at the finals. If they win it they will be the worst to do so in my 49 years on this flat Earth.

Dallas defense should win this in 5 but I'm ok with it going 6

Also geographically a fun series as Boston is in my top three cities to live in and Dallas is dead last, worse than some bumpkin place in West Virginia like that city Marshall is in

All time great team?

We are watching two different NBAs. This is a random team that was gifted a shot at the finals. If they win it they will be the worst to do so in my 49 years on this flat Earth.

By the metrics.

Tatum taking crap fadaways in crunch time isn't all-time. But metrics was the key statement.

But Mavs defense won't stop this all-time offense (by the #s, it's the best ever) from getting what they want.

I'm sort of burning money though going against the Mavs too often. I said winner of Clippers and Mavs would win it all. Clippers with a healthy Klaw would sweep the C's. It's just a league of matchups...

By the metrics.

Tatum taking crap fadaways in crunch time isn't all-time. But metrics was the key statement.

But Mavs defense won't stop this all-time offense (by the #s, it's the best ever) from getting what they want.
Brown will actually have a defender this go round. Tatum is his own defender.

Key for me if on Boston will be White....hehe, Boston and White. But if he's on, they win that game. Can he be on 4 times? My money says no.

I still not sure my take on the series, but I do think both teams have flaws and are far from a dynasty type of teams.
I do think that Luca is historic player that will be one of the greatest to play the game and that Kyrie has so much talent that we see way less than we should.
Both teams have good chemistry and both should make adjustments as the series go.
Rooting for Dallas for sure, but still no opinion who better and favorite for the series

My book offering mavs+1.5 games at -120
Thoughts?
Am leaning celtics-1.5 for plus money lol
I think any Boston victory will be an upset. Obviously you/spek and I see two completely different series which is a ok with me. I have enough on Dallas to win it and have some left to jump on if they lose game 1. I think this Boston team is the worst finals team since the AI Sixers but they at least had Iverson, Boston does not. I also think if they played in the West they would have been a 6/7/8 seed and bounced in the first round by any of the top 5 seeds. Paper tigers.

That said if you really think Boston wins why not bet on Colby White for MVP? If Tatum is their best player I think they might get swept. If it's Brown I'd be shocked, Dallas perimeter defense is a complete 180 from Indiana's. Jrue will solely be a defender...so it will be White having the series of his life if they win imo.

Fun to break it down that way, but simply categorizing the 4 units in play, I have 1. Dallas defense 2. Boston offense 2a. Dallas offense 4. Boston defense. And no way in hell coaching needs to be broken down.

I think any Boston victory will be an upset. Obviously you/spek and I see two completely different series which is a ok with me. I have enough on Dallas to win it and have some left to jump on if they lose game 1. I think this Boston team is the worst finals team since the AI Sixers but they at least had Iverson, Boston does not. I also think if they played in the West they would have been a 6/7/8 seed and bounced in the first round by any of the top 5 seeds. Paper tigers.

That said if you really think Boston wins why not bet on Colby White for MVP? If Tatum is their best player I think they might get swept. If it's Brown I'd be shocked, Dallas perimeter defense is a complete 180 from Indiana's. Jrue will solely be a defender...so it will be White having the series of his life if they win imo.

Fun to break it down that way, but simply categorizing the 4 units in play, I have 1. Dallas defense 2. Boston offense 2a. Dallas offense 4. Boston defense. And no way in hell coaching needs to be broken down.
U think Boston could get swept?

U think Boston could get swept?
Not sure but if Dallas wins the first two games it's a real possibility

I'm not betting on how exact the series goes. Honestly kinda hope Boston wins game 1 so I can get some real plus money on Dallas.

Not sure but if Dallas wins the first two games it's a real possibility

I'm not betting on how exact the series goes. Honestly kinda hope Boston wins game 1 so I can get some real plus money on Dallas.
maybe i should wait

Boston wins hands down as far as weekend getaways. It's top 5 in cities on my list and Dallas is basically the bottom. Below Fargo. Which is strange because the weather is generally nice and it's a somewhat clean city, and Austin and San Antonio are top 15. I just don't like Dallas. And I love and have genetic history with Boston.

That's as far as I can go with the Boston love tho. I think it's an extremely ordinary team with a terrible coach.

Boston wins hands down as far as weekend getaways. It's top 5 in cities on my list and Dallas is basically the bottom. Below Fargo. Which is strange because the weather is generally nice and it's a somewhat clean city, and Austin and San Antonio are top 15. I just don't like Dallas. And I love and have genetic history with Boston.

That's as far as I can go with the Boston love tho. I think it's an extremely ordinary team with a terrible coach.
Thats very complex for a simpleton as myself

Why would u be biased
Because Boston is a bazillion times better than Dallas as a destination and a bunch of family went to college there. Crazy they ended up in Iowa...before my time.

Because Boston is a bazillion times better than Dallas as a destination and a bunch of family went to college there. Crazy they ended up in Iowa...before my time.
lol thats a lot. don't know how that helps me making a large dallas bet

If Dallas is to lose game 1 what do think the series price would to up to my friend?

If Dallas is to lose game 1 what do think the series price would to up to my friend?
Just using DK for pricing, don't feel like looking all over but Dallas are currently +175 there

Lose g1 and it's likely +330ish? Not sure, my brain doesn't work like that but I will put 2.5 units on anything over +300, one of my local outlets shades to favorites big time and I'm hoping they could get to +390 or even +400

Just using DK for pricing, don't feel like looking all over but Dallas are currently +175 there

Lose g1 and it's likely +330ish? Not sure, my brain doesn't work like that but I will put 2.5 units on anything over +300, one of my local outlets shades to favorites big time and I'm hoping they could get to +390 or even +400
Interesting. Appreciate your thoughts chief

Reactions: KJ
How do up guys think that D. White fits into this series?

His points and PRA for game #1 are both down a few points.

How do up guys think that D. White fits into this series?

His points and PRA for game #1 are both down a few points.
For me if you like Boston in g1 you like White props

Not playing much of anything but gonna pounce on Dallas if they lose

Maybe Lively props but not a fan of doing that off the injury

Checking the last 5 games of Mavs. They shooting close or above 50% from the field. Except for game 4. When does the magic stop? Is it sustainable?

Yeah celtics to win just too damn expensive. Luka will get his points no matter what. It's just a question of how celtics defend kyrie.

1. Luka
2. Tatum
3. Brown/Kyrie
4. Porzi/Jrue/white
5. Lively/Gafford

Coaching advantage Kidd

That's how I rank them. I see Celtics in 5 or 6 depends on Kyrie's performance and how well the celtics can hit those 3s.

Reactions: KJ
Yeah celtics to win just too damn expensive. Luka will get his points no matter what. It's just a question of how celtics defend kyrie.

1. Luka
2. Tatum
3. Brown/Kyrie
4. Porzi/Jrue/white
5. Lively/Gafford

Coaching advantage Kidd

That's how I rank them. I see Celtics in 5 or 6 depends on Kyrie's performance and how well the celtics can hit those 3s.
Prolly where we differ the most is I'd flip #4 and #2

I also think in this particular matchup Kyrie is #1, Luka #3 and after the 2/4 flip Tatum and Brown can fit nicely at #3. Since we're slotting I put Lively in the same slot as (injured) Luka

Kyrie is the key to this series me thinks

Back