Texas vs. TCU Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday's Best Bets: Add This College Football Week 5 Parlay

Texas Longhorns vs. TCU Horned Frogs
Saturday, October 2, 2021 at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas

History

This will be a game where a lot of bettors look at the most recent results and, driven by recency bias, bet on Texas and the "over." They will be wrong on both counts.

A 70-35 win over another Big 12 opponent no doubt looks attractive. But in recent years, Texas has been marked by inconsistency on a week-to-week basis, such that one almost automatically has to expect a let-down from this team after a big game.

Last year, for example, the Longhorns beat Texas Tech 63-56 a week before scoring 32 fewer points and losing straight-up, as 10.5-point favorites, to TCU.

But this is more about TCU than it is about Texas. Since joining the Big 12, Gary Patterson's Horned Frogs are 7-2 straight-up and ATS against Texas.

Just as it's deceptively easy to count on Texas to win because of its last game, it is foolishly easy to discount the Horned Frogs because of their last game.

History shows, though, that the week before Texas doesn't matter for TCU.

While losing, as nine-point favorites, by eight points to SMU may seem disturbing, TCU is consistent with respect to how it plays the week before facing Texas.

In fact, the Horned Frogs are 0-6 SU in their last six years against the team that precedes the Longhorns on their schedule.

Diagnosing The SMU Loss

What is completely consistent with my point is the way that TCU lost last week.

The Horned Frogs did not lose to SMU because they lacked athletic talent or because they were qualitatively inferior.

They lost because they were disinterested -- and they were disinterested because they knew they had Texas on deck.

Against SMU, TCU committed nine penalties for 61 yards with the offensive line killing drives with preventable holds and false starts.

Defensively, blown coverages and miscommunication were rampant. The tackling betrayed a total lack of effort that was embarrassing to behold.

Nevertheless, it was still extra reassuring for next week to see the versatile TJ Carter join the cornerback group and play well, individually, in coverage.

Ground Game

The Horned Frogs will cover and the "under" will hit largely because TCU plays ball control with its ground game.

Their offensive line really is better than what it showed last week. Based on the returning snaps from last year, plus the addition of a former multi-year starter at Memphis, Obinna Eze, this is an experienced group. With all upperclassmen, it's also a veteran one.

TCU's offensive line is arguably strongest in the middle where Steve Avila, an All-Big 12 honoree last year, and Wes Harris have returned.

The middle is also where the Longhorn front seven was gashed repeatedly in Arkansas.

Texas' only loss this season came to a Razorback squad that generated 333 rushing yards on 47 carries. While Arkansas is a very good squad this year, this rushing total was nearly 71 yards higher than its average.

A strong ground game is evidently important and doable against the Longhorns.

Max Duggan

TCU has the advantage, that Arkansas lacked, of having a pass-first quarterback to give its offense a more reliable second dimension.

Duggan epitomizes the Horned Frog mentality in that he plays poorly, with a low completion rate, the week before facing Texas, but then bounces back.

After working on his deep ball and strongly increasing his YAC, Duggan benefits from a loaded receiving crew that returned its top four guys from last year and that will face a Longhorn secondary lacking the same kind of returning depth.

There are speedsters like JD Spielman, who regularly amassed over 800 yards a season when at Nebraska, and other big-play talents like 2020 All-Big 12 honoree Quentin Johnston, whose yard-after-catch totals attest to the difficulty that defenses have in bringing him down.

Total

In addition to TCU running the ball 50+ times to control the clock like it did last year, the weather may play a role in the total. It is expected to rain heavily.

This will also be a good opportunity for Frog pass rushers to produce more measurable stats. Ochaun Mathis, for example, accrued nine sacks last year and can find success against a continually problematic Longhorn offensive line that ranks 80th in rate of sacks allowed.

Best Bet: Parlay Horned Frogs +5 at -110 & Under 66.5 at -110 at +264 odds with Bovada

I dunno if they be wrong backing Texas? I get the history not good (or is good if you tcu) but those were different coaching staffs for horns. There no way I could back tcu here, their defense is freakin awful imo. I can give them a pass for Smu even if I disagree with why they lost, more damning was what Cal offense did to them! Garbers threw for 300 yards on 16 completions!!

I think we disagree on Duggan, Imo he better with his legs than throwing the ball. He had a very low completion percentage vs a cal d I think very beatable, he was able to make plays tho, largely cause cal let him get running around. So we only have 2 games to judge him off (think we can agree whatever he did vs Duquesne irrelevant), we saying the Smu game meaningless cause of spot but his completion percentage was actually better in that game as was his ability to hit deep shots! If you can make him a pure pocket passer I don’t think he very good. I’m not sure texas will have the a ability to do that or not?

Tough for me to compare this to the arky game just cause i think hogs ground game is better. That said I do think Duggan has similarities to Jefferson even if the styles of doing it differ. Hogs wernt able to hit many big plays in the passing game vs horns so be interesting to see if tcu can? To me the biggest difference is hogs defense dominated that game in a way I don’t think tcu is capable. I don’t think I have a very good feel for horns yet so can’t say anything would surprise me here, what I do feel strongly about is saying tcu defense is bad!!

I dunno if they be wrong backing Texas? I get the history not good (or is good if you tcu) but those were different coaching staffs for horns. There no way I could back tcu here, their defense is freakin awful imo. I can give them a pass for Smu even if I disagree with why they lost, more damning was what Cal offense did to them! Garbers threw for 300 yards on 16 completions!!

I think we disagree on Duggan, Imo he better with his legs than throwing the ball. He had a very low completion percentage vs a cal d I think very beatable, he was able to make plays tho, largely cause cal let him get running around. So we only have 2 games to judge him off (think we can agree whatever he did vs Duquesne irrelevant), we saying the Smu game meaningless cause of spot but his completion percentage was actually better in that game as was his ability to hit deep shots! If you can make him a pure pocket passer I don’t think he very good. I’m not sure texas will have the a ability to do that or not?

Tough for me to compare this to the arky game just cause i think hogs ground game is better. That said I do think Duggan has similarities to Jefferson even if the styles of doing it differ. Hogs wernt able to hit many big plays in the passing game vs horns so be interesting to see if tcu can? To me the biggest difference is hogs defense dominated that game in a way I don’t think tcu is capable. I don’t think I have a very good feel for horns yet so can’t say anything would surprise me here, what I do feel strongly about is saying tcu defense is bad!!
Good points, Banky. I certainly don't want to say TCU's D is on Arkansas' level. I do wonder what Arkansas D would have done if Casey Thompson had played the whole game.

I guess two things: I don't think mentioning Texas coaching staff change is much of an objection because the main point is that Gary gets his guys ready for Texas.
We also have access to Duggan numbers from last year

Good points, Banky. I certainly don't want to say TCU's D is on Arkansas' level. I do wonder what Arkansas D would have done if Casey Thompson had played the whole game.

I guess two things: I don't think mentioning Texas coaching staff change is much of an objection because the main point is that Gary gets his guys ready for Texas.
We also have access to Duggan numbers from last year

That fair I suppose (bout Patterson), still think horns havinv a different staff changes the dynamic. I can’t see myself playing it either way, I’d prefer the dog but like I said that tcu defense has been freaking terrible. (Pretty much the opposite of what I used to expect from Patterson teams!)…

Up to 4 defensive players will be back this week for TCU including its best d-lineman and DB. Not going to cure all their ills but big for this Saturday.

I think Horns more likely to lose this weekend than against OU. We know Patterson's history vs. Texas. It's not a mirage and he'd probably sacrifice his first born for a continued string of wins vs. Texas. He hates them. Almost as much as he did Briles. And just a tough spot this Saturday for Texas - they just demolished Tech while seeing an inept TCU get the hell beat out of them. And then the lookahead to OU. Sarkisian has a really tough coaching job in front of him this weekend with all these things and how good his team is between the ears. He's saying the right things this week but I'm really interested to see how the team is prepared / plays. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Up to 4 defensive players will be back this week for TCU including its best d-lineman and DB. Not going to cure all their ills but big for this Saturday.

I think Horns more likely to lose this weekend than against OU. We know Patterson's history vs. Texas. It's not a mirage and he'd probably sacrifice his first born for a continued string of wins vs. Texas. He hates them. Almost as much as he did Briles. And just a tough spot this Saturday for Texas - they just demolished Tech while seeing an inept TCU get the hell beat out of them. And then the lookahead to OU. Sarkisian has a really tough coaching job in front of him this weekend with all these things and how good his team is between the ears. He's saying the right things this week but I'm really interested to see how the team is prepared / plays. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Didn’t realize Ou was next week. That certainly ain’t nothing!

Back