Texas Tech -28 vs. SMU Discussion

S

SoonerBS

This game intrigues me as a possible play.

Let me start by mentioning that I do not believe Texas Tech will miss a beat from last year's success -- offensively or defensively. We all realize they will be starting a new QB in Harrell, but he is a Sophomore that got some experience last season (and did well) and has been in the system for 3 years now? (I'm not sure if he was red-shirted or not.) But, the point is, he should be comfortable with the system and will be just as successful as his predecessors. We have all seen the evidence of this with Leach's (whom I think is just brilliant) schemes. He is able to plug these guys in and continue his success.

Tech was never known for their defense until last season whenever they boasted the 30th ranked defense in the nation. Leach called this defense a "junior" dominated defense that had been playing, and many starting, since they were freshmen. This season, they will be a Senior dominated team and should be just as successful as last season, or even better!

We all know how Leach loves to run the score up on opponents. There is no "love loss" between SMU and Tech. In 2003's opener, Tech beat SMU 58-10. In 2004, they only beat them by 14, but this was a year in which Tech started out slow, but finished strong. The team dynamics were different than what we see this season with an experienced defense and an offense that shouldn't miss a beat. Tech didn't play SMU last season, but defeated Florida Int'l in their opener 56-3! (The line for that game was Tech -34) Some powerful trends in this match-up are: Texas Tech is 12-1 SU & 11-1-1 ATS in their home openers the last 13 years. They are 25-16-1 ATS as favorites under Leach. SMU is 0-18 & 3-14-1 ATS in last 18 September road games (they start slow.)

The only factor holding me back personally in laying the -28 on Tech here is that they go on the road the next week to play a better team than SMU in UTEP. Will they be looking ahead?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
beerchug.gif

C-USA coaches not sold on SMU

[SIZE=+1]After strong '05 finish, Mustangs picked fourth in the West
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]11:59 PM CDT on Monday, July 24, 2006

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News [/SIZE]
UNIVERSITY PARK – Though SMU is coming off its most successful football season since 1997, Conference USA coaches don't seem impressed.
The coaches picked SMU to finish fourth in the six-team Western Division in the 2006 preseason coaches poll released Monday.
Coach Phil Bennett was not buying it; he said Monday that Mustangs fans should expect SMU to qualify for a bowl for the first time since 1984. His team ended the 2005 season with three consecutive victories, good for a 5-6 record and third place in the division.
Tulsa, which won the West as well as the C-USA championship game, was picked first in the division. East champion Central Florida also was picked to repeat.
SMU kick returner Jessie Henderson was the only player selected to the preseason team.
Among those omitted was safety Joe Sturdivant, who led the conference in passes defended (1.27) last season and was fourth in tackles per game (10.2).
Also left off the preseason list was running back DeMyron Martin. The Allen graduate finished sixth in rushing last year at 77.6 yards per game.

TEXAS TECH
Raiders finally build a real defense
After several ugly years, Tech defenders are confident they’ll no longer take a backseat to the prolific offense.

By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star
Nearly three years ago — on Oct. 25, 2003, to be exact — Texas Tech’s defense became the ultimate definition of bad.

Keyunta Dawson, then a true freshman defensive end, remembers how bad after a 62-31 loss to Missouri in which Tigers quarterback Brad Smith ran over, under, around and through the Red-faced Raiders for 291 yards.

“I think (Texas Tech’s defense) was 117 in the country,” Dawson said.

Out of 117.

“It couldn’t get any worse than how we played that game,” said Chris Hudler, then a redshirt freshman defensive tackle. “There was nowhere to go but up. It kind of woke a lot of us up. From that game on, we continually improved.”

You knew something was different when, on Monday, Hudler and Dawson, two defenders, were selected by Tech coach Mike Leach to meet the Big 12 Conference press. Only one offensive player — from a team that has led the NCAA in passing the last four years — was on hand.

And even senior offensive guard Manny Ramirez was talking about the turnaround in defense for a team that finished 9-3 a year ago and could be poised to break through in the contentious Big 12 South.

“My freshman year it was all offense,” Ramirez said. “They were averaging about 50 points a game. And it was to the point where they had to. If not, we would lose the game.

“Our defense was ranked last in the nation. But last season our defense improved obviously 100 percent.”

In fact, Tech wound up ranked No. 30 nationally in total defense a year ago — at No. 6 in the Big 12.

“And they still have a lot more to show and prove this upcoming season,” Ramirez boasted.

Leach explains the turnaround in terms of experience. Remember, that 2003 Tech defense had three true freshman starters and three redshirt freshman starters.

“Last year,” Leach said, “we were predominantly a junior defense. Two years ago we were predominantly a sophomore-freshman defense. And the biggest thing is a lot of those guys have been starting since they were freshmen.”

The preseason Tech depth chart predicts that six starters will be seniors, three juniors and two sophomores.

“Everybody,” Leach noted with a straight face, “got a year older.”

Dawson is actually changing positions, moving to outside linebacker to make way for sophomore McKinner Dixon. The other end, Seth Nitschmann, is a senior.

“The coach felt like it was a good move for the team,” Dawson said, “so I was all for it.”

No longer will Dawson have to bang helmets with 330-pound offensive linemen on every play.

“So it’s kind of cool,” Dawson said. “I like it.”

Perhaps with Dawson at linebacker, Tech will improve on its No. 10 league rating against the rush of a year ago. That same season, Tech ranked as the fourth stingiest at giving up points (22.8 a game) in the Big 12. Against the pass, Tech was No. 2 in the Big 12.

“When we first started playing, we didn’t deserve to be anywhere close to the offense,” Hudler said. “They were No. 1 and we were, at one point, 117th.

“You can’t really ask for respect unless you earn it. But we’re making strides on earning the respect.”

Media Days: Raiders using new QB
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
7/25/2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Four years, four quarterbacks, four national passing titles at Texas Tech.
Up next, apparently, is sophomore Graham Harrell, who remains in competition for the job but hopes to make his mark -- a lot of marks, actually -- for the next three years directing the Wild West Tech Offense.
"For the next three years, he's going to be the top dog," offensive lineman Manuel Ramirez said Monday during interviews at the Big 12 Conference media days. "And every year that he's here, he's only going to get better."
Harrell -- older brother of University of Tulsa newcomer Clark Harrell -- has two built-in advantages over Chris Todd. One, Todd's a redshirt freshman; Harrell is a third-year sophomore. Two, Harrell's high school team at Ennis, Texas, ran a version of Leach's spread offense.
"He's thrown the ball a lot," Leach said. "He's certainly used to kind of reading the field and throwing the ball like we do."
Still, Leach hasn't named a starter. It's likely he'll wait until well into camp.
"As good as (Harrell) is, I think Chris Todd and him were neck and neck when we were leaving spring," Leach said. "I feel good about both of them."
After four years of seniors Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, Sonny Cumbie and Cody Hodges rewriting NCAA record books, how does Leach choose between two guys with virtually no experience?
"There's no real secret to it," Leach said. "I mean, you try to figure out who is the best one and then you play them. I mean, it's honestly about as simple as that. . . . Line them up out there -- 'Let's see, I think this one is a little bit better than that one -- then you play them.' "
Texas Tech went 9-3 and tied for second in the Big 12 South last season. Since 1998, Tech has played in every Big 12 bowl except a BCS bowl.
"Hold that thought," Leach said.
Four receivers and four linemen are back. But for the Red Raiders to take the next step in 2006, Leach must identify a replacement for record-setting running back Taurean Henderson (5,308 all-purpose yards).
And defensively, strides continue. Improvements the last two years -- from 453.4 yards per game in 2003 (last in the NCAA) to 335.8 in 2005 were dramatic.
But All-American safety Dwayne Slay and All-Big 12 corner Vincent Meeks are gone.

John E. Hoover 581-8384
john.hoover@tulsaworld.com

It's always been my opinion that there's no such thing as a look ahead game in the first week...these kids get geeked up for nine months to play football..so I don't take into account look ahead spots in week one matchups..

that's just my opinion..

JumpOnBoard said:
It's always been my opinion that there's no such thing as a look ahead game in the first week...these kids get geeked up for nine months to play football..so I don't take into account look ahead spots in week one matchups..

that's just my opinion..

Good point.
nodassent.gif

I don't doubt TT can match last season's success but I don't see them coming out particularly strong in Game 1. Having said that, I don't see SMU coming strongly either...so for me it's a no-play.

However, this is the first time in a while TT won't start a 4th or 5th year guy at QB and although I think Harell knows the system well, the point production will be nowhere near what we saw in 2003 and 2005. Last time the Raiders started a younger QB, they averaged 25.4 points per game in 2000 and 33.5 in 2001 (both much lower than the next four seasons with a Senior at the helms).

Harell will have a wonderful season...but it won't necessarily come in the first game. About the 28 points. Until someone emerges as a capable RB in this offense, I don't know if the Raiders can cover that spread. Taurean Henderson or whatever his name was, was the x-factor in the offense. Taking this into consideration...SMU has a shot at the cover.

However, Texas Tech is an impressive 11-1-1 ATS in their last 13 home openers but don't get too excited just yet. The push came in 2001 (when they didn't start a Senior QB) and the loss came in 2000 (when they didn't start a Senior QB). This is gonna be interesting.

With sophomore (TT) and freshman (SMU) QB's leading these teams on the field for opening day, I would suggest laying off this game. Neither QB has enough experience to suggest an obvious play here and if you ask me, this game could turn into turnover mania.

MistaFlava said:
However, Texas Tech is an impressive 11-1-1 ATS in their last 13 home openers but don't get too excited just yet. The push came in 2001 (when they didn't start a Senior QB) and the loss came in 2000 (when they didn't start a Senior QB). This is gonna be interesting.

With sophomore (TT) and freshman (SMU) QB's leading these teams on the field for opening day, I would suggest laying off this game. Neither QB has enough experience to suggest an obvious play here and if you ask me, this game could turn into turnover mania.

Ya always gotta wonder. Can they be up by 35 just to push with the good ole' back-door TD?

I think were people are discrediting TT this year is because this is the first time in forever they haven't had a SR QB. Kingsbury, Symons, and Cumbie were all SR QBs and Harrell is not. Harrell though is the first BIG time recruit that Leach has ever had at QB. Kingsbury, Symons, and Cumbie were nothing in HS. And I mean nothing. Harrell IMO will be the best TT QB when he finally leaves campus that Leach has ever had. I've seen the kid play and he's a good one.

I looked long and hard at this playwithme bu thought there were some others that were better plays. I do like it though.

:cheers:

tt first half and game..Leach tries to score every down..you'd be crazy to take SMU.

they have good receivers and harrel is a good qb....they will throw and throw and throw some more.....the RB will always get their yards but my concern is if he can catch out of the backfield.

the SMU coach is pretty good and they've shown some life...plus it's an in-state game...but I never bet against Tech at Tech and Leach loves to run it up...no play for me...

SHSUHorn said:
I think were people are discrediting TT this year is because this is the first time in forever they haven't had a SR QB. Kingsbury, Symons, and Cumbie were all SR QBs and Harrell is not. Harrell though is the first BIG time recruit that Leach has ever had at QB. Kingsbury, Symons, and Cumbie were nothing in HS. And I mean nothing. Harrell IMO will be the best TT QB when he finally leaves campus that Leach has ever had. I've seen the kid play and he's a good one.

I looked long and hard at this playwithme bu thought there were some others that were better plays. I do like it though.

:cheers:

Not discrediting them for the entire year, quite the contrary actually. However, the opening game is almost definitely not going to go as smoothly as Leach would like because it's not a Senior starting QB. As for the rest of the season, they'll probably come close to sweeping the board.

Back