Texas looked good

frankiegotti

Power Boat Enthusiast
Lima Sweede is out for the first 3 weeks with a sprained wrist.

This always happens to me i get a decent line and someone gets hurt.:down2:

You're overreacting FG. If there is a position where Texas can lose their top player it is at WR.

Line is dipping a bit now but it is a bit of an overreaction. If the line really dips and gets to 35 (which it won't) I'll buy more.

rj, do they have sufficient back ups that can still toast ark. state cb's?

i really hope they do.

Somebody hasn't been reading his Phil Steele!

P. 13--Texas has PS's #5 receiving corp. They return from last year with no losses and pickup some very interesting freshmen (who will most likely rs unless phenomenal since this is Texas' deepest group).

Sweed has two gifts. The first is that he is fast. But that is not his primary weapon. His second gift and the primary reason for his success is that he is Texas' tallest receiver.

However, he is not the fastest. That honor belongs to Billy Pittman.

Texas 2 deep is nasty:
Limas Sweed/Nate Jones/Montrell Webber
Billy Pittman/Jordan Shipley/Philip Payne
Quan Cosby/George Walker

Plus TE's Jermichael Finley and Peter Ullman

Shipley may be banged up as well, but then again he might not be.

Texas will be fine at WR.

Colt could drop back and throw the ball to himself and still cover this line vs. Arky St.. I will welcome any drops in the line, this is pure over reaction as RJ said

Let's try to put this in a little perspective by looking at Texas' passing and receiving game in Week 1 matchups the last 3 years.

Texas 56, UNT 7
http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/ncaaf/game/63091/box_score.aspx

Texas puts up 56 points on only 410 yards of offense (212 rushing and 198 passing). Sweed is the number 1 receiver with 5 of the 15 passes caught for 111 and 2 TDs. However, 60 yds came on the first TD.

Texas holds UNT to 95 total yards.

4 rushing TDs and 3 passing TDs, and 1 TD on defense.

Texas 60, ULL 3
http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/ncaaf/game/927/Recap.aspx

Much more offensive game with Texas putting up 721 total net yards vs. 320 from ULL. However, on offense, Texas put up 577 yards to ULL's 188.

But how were those 577 yards gained? 400 via run and only 177 via pass. Again, Texas not passing the ball around with wild abandon. Texas only had 18 total pass attempts and 13 receptions. In this game, as a sophmore, Limas only had 1 reception for 10 yards.

Still, by years' end, Limas was the #1 Texas receiver in terms of yards.

VY's favorite target that year, TE David Thomas, finished with 2 receptions for 27 yards and 1 TD.

Texas 65, North Texas 0
http://www.nmnathletics.com/downloa...AGENT&DB_MENU_ID=313&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Again, Texas dominates on offense with a total of 673 yards to 130 yards. The breakdown? 513 yards rushing to 160 passing.

Texas puts up an uncharachteristic 22 pass attempts in this game and completes 15 for a total of 160 yards.

Limas Sweed, as a freshman, has one catch for 10 yards. The leading receivers are Selvin Young with 3 catches for 32 yards and David Thomas with 2 catches for 48 yards.

------------------------

Looking at the last 3 years of stats, you should expect Texas to attempt approximately 20 passes during the course of the game for a total of 170-220 yards. The numbers above are skewed slightly to the stronger rushing attack Texas focused on during the VY days and VY's explosiveness itself.

Texas' main offensive strengths this year are at QB and WR. So expect a slightly greater focus on the passing game than years past. However, this is still Texas, and Texas will run with great frequency and success.

I don't see Sweed's absence or presence affecting the line or the value of the Texas bet that greatly.

ok RJ you convinced me, i guess i better pick up a phile steele mag. Thats good to know their deep in WR's department, but i don't know what i was thinking them are pretty much have their pick of player's in texas.

All this discussion may be moot anyway. From the Houston Chronicle blog:

Contrary to a published report, receiver Limas Sweed will be back for the Sept. 1 opener against Arkansas State, a UT spokesman said Thursday. Sweed suffered a sprained left wrist during Wednesday's scrimmage.

And from the AAS:

Sweed expected to be ready for first game

By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, August 16, 2007, 04:06 PM

Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed is expected to be ready for the season opener against Arkansas State, Sept. 1, a UT spokesman said Thursday.

Sweed sprained his left wrist during Wednesday morning’s scrimmage. He underwent an MRI later that day. Results were available Thursday.

Longhorn team spokesman John Bianco said that Sweed should be healthy in time for the opener. It’s unclear how much practice time he might miss. Since he’s an experienced fifth-year senior, coaches could keep him out of workouts as a precaution.

There had been unsubstantiated reports circulating Wednesday night that Sweed was expected to miss at least three weeks with the injury. Sweed didn’t even learn his official prognosis until he was told of the MRI results on Thursday. Doctors fit him with a splint Wednesday to keep him from reinjuring the wrist.

Sweed writes with his right hand, but is considered ambidextrous.

Any recommedations on some parleys will be in vegas opening week and would appreciate any advice. Also is there a line on Hawaii, tex A&m,or michigan?

Somebody hasn't been reading his Phil Steele!

P. 13--Texas has PS's #5 receiving corp. They return from last year with no losses and pickup some very interesting freshmen (who will most likely rs unless phenomenal since this is Texas' deepest group).

Sweed has two gifts. The first is that he is fast. But that is not his primary weapon. His second gift and the primary reason for his success is that he is Texas' tallest receiver.

However, he is not the fastest. That honor belongs to Billy Pittman.

Texas 2 deep is nasty:
Limas Sweed/Nate Jones/Montrell Webber
Billy Pittman/Jordan Shipley/Philip Payne
Quan Cosby/George Walker

Plus TE's Jermichael Finley and Peter Ullman

Shipley may be banged up as well, but then again he might not be.

Texas will be fine at WR.
For the record, George Walker is not on the team anymore.

When did we lose Walker? He's listed in Phil Steele so I assume he was still there in June.

But you're right. He ain't in the media guide (which I just got today).

Its not Sweed you should be worried about its the backup Harris being injured. They may want to protect Chiles or Kinne redshirt so they may have a walk on come in and hand the ball off.

The good news is Colt will probably play more then usual and probably air the ball out alot early on to build a huge lead before half.

I'm going to destroy the 1Q and 1H lines when they come out.

Any recommedations on some parleys will be in vegas opening week and would appreciate any advice. Also is there a line on Hawaii, tex A&m,or michigan?

Those lines can be found at 5dimes. Just got released today. Mich is a 21, Hawaii is 55 currently

Back