Teams who had a good year in 2007 but will struggle in 2008

Mizzou won't even be in the Top 5 at the end of the season, nevermind the National Championship.

VK, just curious what teams did you tend to side with past NCAAF season?

The team i bet the most last year was oregon state.

i bet them 5 times !!!!!!!

3 wins --- stanford , at oregon , emerald bowl v maryland
1 loss ---at cincinnati
1 push --- at arizona state ( brutal beat )

i made even more off this team the year before. unfortunately it looks to me like the ride is over with this team. But never know how undervalued they may be again.

unfortunately it looks to me like the ride is over with this team. But never know how undervalued they may be again.

They still have a good offense and good coach, but a tough non-conf road schedule (@ Penn St, @ Utah). 8-5 this year?

no way they get 8 wins blue chip

almost guaranteed losses --- at penn state , home to usc , at utah

likely losses -- home to AZ ST , Home to Cal , at Arizona , home to oregon.

likely toss ups -- at stanford , at ucla , at washington ---and all those on the road bleh.

likely wins -- hawaii , washington st,

This team shouldnt get more than 6 wins and i think 5-8 is the most likely assuming they take care of hawaii and wazzu.

It is surprising...

I completed my Pac 10 power rankings last nite; shockingly (at least to me), I have the Beavers favored in only two Pac10 games...Wassou and a small, small road favorite at Stanford. They'll be dogs at Utah and Penn St as well, while they will be favorites at home to Hawaii.

Going into the season...I have the Beavers favored in only 3 games; very surprising to me.

Mizzou was a great moneymaker last year but I think that they will have a tough time repeating their shot at the Big 12 title with a national championship bid on the line. Even though they return 10 starters on defense and 6 on offense, they won't be sneaking up on people and the linesmakers like they did last year. The opener with Illinois is no sure thing and trips to Texas and NU will be nasty.
Be careful under rating KU. Ok, their schedule last year was soft but they did have some solid wins. They lost some talent but Reesing was amazing. If he stays healthy the Jhawks will win a lot of games.
The good thing about KU is that the fat man likes to pile on the points when he has a lead....... unlike Pinkel who thinks winning by more than 2 TD's is "unsportsmanlike".

Mizzou has playmakers on offense, along with a soft schedule...a senior qb is huge, they will rack up points like crazy.

I would be shocked if they lose to Illini..illini will be the most overrated team in the B10 this year...losing Lehman and Mendenhall will be huge..along with a weak secondary..Mizzou should throw all over them.

I'd add Cincinnati to the list. They have the 2nd fewest starters returning in the league and Mauk was denied a sixth year of eligibility. Also, last year they had almost no injuries of consequence and were +16 in TO's.

It looks as though they have a good coach and they do play in a weak conference, but it looks slim to none that they get 10 wins again.

It is surprising...

I completed my Pac 10 power rankings last nite; shockingly (at least to me), I have the Beavers favored in only two Pac10 games...

...that has a tendency to happen when you make your living with run defense and QB pressure and then you do not bring back even one starter from your front seven. They will win a few games by out-scoring people behind a really nice OL and the QBs cannot be any worse then they were last year, but it is still going to be a really long season in Corvallis and you have to think bowl eligibility would represent a very good year. I'll call them about 5-7.

Mizzou is for real. Jeremey Maclin was just a freshmen last year and barring an injury to Chase Daniel MU will score at will. They bring 10 starters back from a d that was really solid after the first two games. Play on as small faves or dogs(prob only b dog at Texas). Play against as huge faves bc Pinkel keeps in in cruise control in those games. Defenitely play on vs Illinios. Ill has a one dimensional o and MU will be great at stopping the run. More things to remember about this club: They don't turn the ball over despite putting in the air so often; When teams drop 8 deep to stop the pass they run all over u(texas tech, arkansas); They have one of the best kickers in the country; without a doubt Maclin is the best kick returner in the country;

What makes you think Mizzou is all of a sudden so good that they can walk into Austin and win? What indication have they given based off their road games the past few years? They were getting pounded pretty good in Norman last year, and lost every road game but New Mexico and Texas Tech (both early) two years ago.

Pinkel vs. Brown?

Texas will be back with Muschamp's arrival. That place will be wild in the primetime game, and the Horns will be hungry coming off the loss to OU. I don't think Mizzou has won in Austin since like 1893, if I read correctly. That vanilla defense will get carved up by McCoy and Co.

Some programs will just never be good enough to win in some places, assuming the traditional powerhouses are worth a shit. UT will definitely be worth a shit this year, and will be fired up for that game. Coaching mismatch, and all around bad spot for Mizzou/great spot for Texas.

what about..

virginia tech hokies?
I know Beamer always put a strong defense on the field, but they return only 4 starters from last year.
Adding this and the dismissing of Brandon Ore (rb), apparently a rb will be a starter, the inconsistent duo combo with glennon and taylor.
Although the schedule looks favorable, I think vt will get down a few notches..
any opinions?

Mizzou didn't get pounded in Norman, they led in the 4th and uncharacteristically turned the ball over. What Mizzou has done on the road in previous seasons is a moot point. This is a very different team than in years past. Last year than won by 17 at K-st and 45 at Colorado which are two places that they haven't won at in forever. Just because they lost road games in 2006 doesn't mean they can't win in 2008.

i think Mizzou will be good, but completely agree with the thoughts on the Hoos.

...as for Texas, we will have a rough year this year, imo. Our O-line should be very good, and we always have good corners plus the addition of Muschamp, but I think we're gonna struggle on offense. Our WRs aren't much to speak of and i'm really worried about our running game with Whittaker/McGee taking the load after Jamaal Charles's departure. Good thread!

virginia tech hokies?
I know Beamer always put a strong defense on the field, but they return only 4 starters from last year.
Adding this and the dismissing of Brandon Ore (rb), apparently a rb will be a starter, the inconsistent duo combo with glennon and taylor.
Although the schedule looks favorable, I think vt will get down a few notches..
any opinions?

I have not looked into VT much, but I am sure they'll be much better than anticipated. Let's not forget they're in the ACC, and they almost always are more talented than most teams in the conference. I'm sure their defense and special teams will be good enough to get by with a mediocre offense.

That vanilla defense will get carved up by McCoy and Co.

Add Chase Daniel and his WR corps and you have an over... if the number is low enough.

No side for me in this one... at least not as of now

The issue with Texas is most around the country think Texas has gotten top 5 recruiting classes the last 10 years Mack has been there and that isn't the case.

VY's 2002 class was the best in the country that year and that team won the MNC. The 2003-2005 classes were pretty much outside of the top 10 and not very talented because OU was getting alot of the top Texas talent. Even A&M during that stretch was having similar classes as Texas but noone was really paying attention then because VY was still on the team.

Last year Texas' defense had 7 senior starters. Only one was drafted and that was in the 5th round. That shows you the talent level of that defense last year scheme or not.

The 2006-2009 classes have been pretty sick and Texas should turn the corner either this year depending on how these young guys perform but really next year should be the year they make some noise.

Losing Charles and Finley early really hurt this team as they don't have many playmakers on offense that are upperclassmen.

Alot of Texas fans are worried about LSU getting inroads to Texas but that's probably the best news fans could hear since if they don't go to Texas let them go to LSU instead of conference foes Aggie and OU. LSU hasn't beaten Texas out for a recruit Texas has wanted at that position yet except for maybe Mcfarland when he decides to committ.

OU and Aggie are getting their ass handed to them in recruiting right now by Texas and LSU. Right now every top prospect in the state of Texas for 2010 is listing either Texas or LSU as their favorite.

lsu did get russel shepard

Texas offered him as an ATH not QB. Shepard would've committed on the spot if they would've told him QB. LSU offered him as a QB so he choose them.

Dexter Pratt that LSU got was offered as a LB not a RB by Texas. LSU offered him as a B so he choose them.

Why most Texas fans are pissed about this is because I guarentee you knowing Les Miles both these players will be playing WR and LB by their second year after he screws them over.

I won't be pissed because better LSU then these kids going to OU

Mcfarland is the only big name LSU may steal. They will have the top DTs in the country if that is true in Mcfarland and Davenport.

Texas offered him as an ATH not QB. Shepard would've committed on the spot if they would've told him QB. LSU offered him as a QB so he choose them.

Dexter Pratt that LSU got was offered as a LB not a RB by Texas. LSU offered him as a B so he choose them.

Why most Texas fans are pissed about this is because I guarentee you knowing Les Miles both these players will be playing WR and LB by their second year after he screws them over.

I won't be pissed because better LSU then these kids going to OU

Mcfarland is the only big name LSU may steal. They will have the top DTs in the country if that is true in Mcfarland and Davenport.

:shake:

Mizzou has playmakers on offense, along with a soft schedule...a senior qb is huge, they will rack up points like crazy.

I would be shocked if they lose to Illini..illini will be the most overrated team in the B10 this year...losing Lehman and Mendenhall will be huge..along with a weak secondary..Mizzou should throw all over them.

I side with Hunt here. Not saying Nattie Championship or anything but I think this team will be better. Will they equate to a great record ATS? Prolly not as they will be a bit more public or whatever you wish to call it.

Kyle,

Great write-up on the Beavers. Losing that whole front 7 is amazing. May be a team you can still make money off this year just the opposite way.

UK will struggel big time.

Key offensive losses- QB Andre Woodson, RB Rafael Little, TE Jacob Tamme, WR Kennan Burton, WR Stevie Johnson, A lot of the offense gone, with a tuff SEC schedule. Defense even though they lost best player in Wesley Woodyard, may be the strong point of the team, which with UK, is not a good thing.

I know thye are not the college footbal powers some teams mentioned are, but have won back to back bowl games, will not make a third.

Back