Sunday MLB Discussion

Under 9 and smaller 1st 5 inn under

Quickly-

Marshall was nowhere near as bad as the line indicates . Actually know he was doing well in AAA and love his 1bb to 7 K ratio in the Oriole start . Sign of good stuff IMO . Previous times vs Wsox pretty good although weaker lineups at least some experience and Uribe hit him well and he is out .

Buerhle on roll as has been mentioned. So far 16 starts in 9 of them he got 3 runs or less run support and in 9 of them he and the pen allowed 2 runs or less. he pitched well vs Cubs last year .

Cubs struggling vs LHP somewhat since Soriano went down . Wsox loads of potential vs LH still unrealized and Konerko out

BOL

Also 16 starts only 5 bad ones ....

Of that 11 twice he allowed 3 runs the other 9 he allowed 2 runs or less....

Drake behind the dish in night game at Chic, overall he is a nuetral ump with slight lean to unders.

I think Drake has a huge bias to unders actually. Not in the same way maybe all look at it though...

In 2007 his runs avg was below 9 at 8.91 . Yet he called 34 games and only 7 had totals lower then 9. He had 14 10 or higher and just 9 at 9 runs....

So despite some terrible PS he had a good strike % and low runs ..

:cheers:

any insight appreciated, so thanks.

I don't like how CWS hits lefties either, but maybe that's a trend that is more coincidence than noteworthy. i understand why the line is at 138 because of the cubs people, but that's cheap for buerhle right now. i'm behind it.

GL Tide .

Its the world's biggest mystery to this point why the Sox have not blasted LHP outside of those 2 games vs Pitt .

They have 7 quality RHBs and two LH in AJ and Thome who can hold there own.

The problem is clear Dye , Konerko , Swisher and Crede have underperformed to levels unfathomable . Ramirez has been a plus hitting LH real well and Cabrera has been respectable though most of late . Quentin we knew came in struggling vs LHP as illogical as it sounds and he hits 3rd which hurts.

Dye 270 3hr 11 rbi (20-74) from .292 8hr 22 rbi
Konerko .206 2hr 9rbi (13-63) from 296 12 25rbi
Swisher .186 1 hr 7 rbi (11-70) from 291 6hr 22 rbi
Crede .102 0hr 1 rbi (6-59) from 273 10hr 34 rbi in 2006
Quentin .206 5hr 14 rbi (14-68)

There is no rational explanation to say why a bunch of RHBs suddenly cant hit LHs ....

thought about playing chisox RL but didnt get back in time, had a couple happy hour drinks.

didnt lock in on it earlier just because a couple conflicting trends like i hate betting against a team to avoid the sweep in a rivalry spot like this..... especially on sunday night baseball.
wasnt really sure waht to expect from marshall either....got hit pretty hard in his first game back against the o's... but when he has that sinker going hes tough to hit. and weve seen LHSP shut down the chisox before.

chisox just looked too easy on paper, felt the line shoulda been a bit higher

so figured id just watch, maybe root for the cubbies to avoid sweep. enjoy fellas!

I think Drake has a huge bias to unders actually. Not in the same way maybe all look at it though

From 02 to 07, Drake went 89-72 to Over (55%)

While his runs avg, strike % and SO/BB ratios are seemingly positive for Under results, he's simply one of those umps whose positive Under stats simply don't come through with final results.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>5 Days Rest</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>5.29</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>51.0</TD><TD align=right>62</TD><TD align=right>33</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>.316</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>> 5 Days Rest</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>1.73</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>52.0</TD><TD align=right>41</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>.217</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What looks easy and seems odd can usually be easily explained...

Huge difference for Buerhle past 2 years on normal rest and extra rest . I mean 100BAA is about as extreme as we can expect .....

Rather simple 2 LHP's while Buerhle is better he has the tough hill to climb . Overcoming his normal rest trend while facing a sound lineup vs LHs. Meanwhile Marshall gets to face a lineup who has struggled for the nmost part vs LHP despite being all RH . So his path to success is easier on paper if he can excute ..

I think alot of little things get overlooked. Still I preferred to play this WS ML vs Cubs RL if I was going to and hope for another 1 run game with little risk....

Will root for ya then nut.

Excellent call on the texas game earlier, nice work man:shake:

on what you said yesterday, the number of times times that YOU were right and i was wrong are countless, but hell even a sun shines on a doggs ass once in awhile and maybe my ass was last night lol.
but ive learned a lot from you all this season in this discussion alone which is a great read every day and you personally have certainly saved ME a lot of money this year so its much appreciated:cheers:

Last edited:
From 02 to 07, Drake went 89-72 to Over (55%)

While his runs avg, strike % and SO/BB ratios are seemingly positive for Under results, he's simply one of those umps whose positive Under stats simply don't come through with final results.

Over - Under results are more the result of the pitchers and the hitters then the umps . The ump is the guide . This is the part I dont feel people understand or factor .

1st thing is again the total itself says alot about the game . Low totals mean better quality SPs and high totals mean lower quality SP. Rather simple to apply the fact better pitchers throw more strikes and therefore more strikes will be called with lower totals. The opposite is true . Lower quality pitchers throw less strikes and in higher totaled games less strikes will be called.

To many people misunderstand the fact that if a guy calls games with all low totals or a high majority of low totals his strike % is ghoing to be rather good. Just like the guy who calls alot of 10 and higher totals will see a lower strike %.

Its just simple logic applied . Understanding pitching is rather simple. Good pitcher throw strikes . How many good SP walk a 100 batters in a season ? How good SP avg 4 or 5 walks per 9 innings ? It simply doesnt happen very often. The key is getting ahead and staying ahead . The goal of all pitchers is to throw strikes . Naturally different umps have different zones but they dont widely vary as many suggest . Sure some guys give more of the corners other guys more up and down. Some guys maybe give tou a pitch if the catcher doesnt move his glove. Your talking probably 10-15 pitches at most in a game that so called borderline and might vary ump to ump .

What I want to see is UMPS who buck the obvious. Guys who despite great SP because they are tight zones see higher scoring games . I want to see guys who despite terrible SP matchups continually sees his game fall a run or two short .....

Drake is a great example IMO of a guy who can help an under ..

2008-
18 games only 5.9 walks per game which is very good IMO
So why is that ? Well he has 18 games and 14 where in the 8.5 to 9.5 range sort of the normal zone or what we might call the "mean" zone. So for the most part he has quality SP matchups or at least 1 high quality SP involved. He has 1 lower then 3 higher totals. So really he hasnt had many exceptional SP matchups and may have had a few poor ones.

All by just looking at the breakdown of totals on his games w/o looking at who the SP were.

18 games and totals equalling 165.5 0r 9.20 . His runs avg is 9.11

Now look at his 9 overs this year and the SP matchup
- Fogg @ Zambrano
- Badenhop @ James
- Maddux @ Hamels ( 9total but 11 runs)
- Olsen @ Oliver Perez - inconsistent in 2008
- kendrick @ Oswalt -rematch of a 2-1 game sure there was a strong under bias
- Colon @ Burres
- Baek @ Lee
- Burnett @ Bush - No hitter that saw Tor rally late and 8-7 final
- Garland @ Hill - DL after this start

So outside of Hamels vs Maddux he didnt have a quality SP then went over . Which it went over by 2 runs and in a small ballpark . The rest I bolded he had three SP on the road who were ripe to get hit hard , one very medicore SP matchup wiuth COlon and Burres , one inconsistent SP in Perez vs a team who became an over machine . a SP rematch of a 2-1 game , a no hitter turned into 15 runs in the end and a SP who was shelled and went to the DL afterwards....

His 9 Unders?
Owings @ Redman
Harang @ Villanueva
Byrd @ Baker
Danks @Litsch
Zito @ Dumtrait
Arroyo @ Pelfrey
Mussina @ Shields
Webb @ Snell
Boggs @ Bailey

Very little special about these matchups and I would guess alot of these games looked liked overs on the surface . However they all went under . So basically if you have 2 decent guys going and they perform decent he seems to be benefitting the pitchers. Giving the borderline pitches and in big situations w/o having to watch him. There is nothing special about the group above at all.

Those games saw totals combing to 81.5 runs and saw 49 runs !! Just 49 !

The 1st list of SP had a bunch of guys set up to fail and they did. Here these guys were in similiar situations and didnt .

People are gonna say he had 6.7 walks and 62.33 strikes. I say of course he did . He did 34 games . Look at the totals-

7or 7.5 (4)
8 or 8.5 (3)
9 (8)
9.5 (5)
10 (10)
10.5 (3)
11(1)

Mostly higher totals and go back to what I said . Lesser quality SPs throw less strikes so is the higher walk rate and lower strike rate a suprise ? NO! Its representative mainly of the players and pitchers performing while he umps.

Last year avg totals 9.30 and 8.91 runs allowed. The thing about lower totals is well a 7 or 8 total can easily see 3 or 4 runs and miss by 4 runs skewing percentages . Its much harder to get a 10 to 11 total to miss by 4 or 5 runs..there are not alot of 15 and 16 run games most overs with big numbers probably see 10-11-12-13 runs in effect slightily going above the number .....So he did 14 games with totals 10 or above ...

I see a high over rate for 9 and 9.5 totals but nowhere else. I simply think he had alot of badly mispriced totals for the SP in those games .

Bottomline is you have to rationalzie what the ump is doing to the game . Most of the umps are neutral but some guys have biases . Not the biases people here see . Biases that take a clear situation and flip it ....

I think if you have 2 guys throwing strikes Rob Drake well help the pitchers . You have to identify guys who are performing well and think that Drake will be a plus for them.

Thats what I thought here . As I said good stuff last outing despite poor results from Marshall , solid work from Buerhle of late , two lineups doing so-so vs LHP of late , bullpens which appear to be rested and available key pitchers .....

I know your using the pure statisical edge to the above point but it's always understanding why stats occur and not excepting them as anything but results of the situation they were placed in and played under ....

His results come through its just there is some situations where the UMP 's impact will be of little consequence to the result . All his overs had clear warning signs that regardless if I umped it , you umped it or Drake did it there was going to be some runs scored ...:shake:I dont see 1 over that he could he avoided and if I recall correctly the Hamels-Maddux over was a result of the bullpen for SD blowing it late .....I see alot of UNDER results that could have gone over but the fact they went under by so much is a clear indicator of what could happen...

To many people misunderstand the fact that if a guy calls games with all low totals or a high majority of low totals his strike % is going to be rather good. Just like the guy who calls alot of 10 and higher totals will see a lower strike %.

I dont care what an Umps strike % is. I care what his SO/BB ratio is, and what his HR avg is.

And 55% Overs over 6 straight seasons goes way beyond simply lucking out time after time after time with matchups he couldn't control if he tried.

Of all the pitchers in the league , i just can't figure out how buehrle does it. Velocity sucks , he isnt the greatest at changing eye levels or speeds. He has good control and won't beat himself with walks but ....dang he looks so hittable every time i see him pitch. But he gets outs. just an enigma .....

i don't know VK. he's definitely not a power pitcher but he's damn good. when you can locate the way he does, in and out, especially in to RH with a ball that moves 4 inches towards the hands as it finishes... its hard to hit him. he KILLS LH with his control and works RH heads to a frenzy trying to guess. he could easily be a Tom Glavine at age 40, I think. We'll see.

and he master's the most obvious. no walks, no mistakes up in the zone.

with that said, we got lucky with those double plays that were lined shots. could've easily been 5-5 going to extra innings

there are very few pitchers in MLB that can locate in and out consecutive pitches like he does, meaning 3 straight pitches exactly where he wants them on opposite sides of the plate. do this and do it consistently i mean.

i'm riding him at home for a while.

I dont care what an Umps strike % is. I care what his SO/BB ratio is, and what his HR avg is.

And 55% Overs over 6 straight seasons goes way beyond simply lucking out time after time after time with matchups he couldn't control if he tried.

Why though ? HR avg ? What does an ump have to do with K to BB ratio ? Thats a pitchers stat . How do you know what K's are swinging and looking . What Hrs came in small parks or petco? What is the UMP's impact on swinging strikeouts ? I understand that your not exactly brought up living and breathing baseball . I was . Thats all I did probaly with my life until I was 22 years old . I pitched just about everywhere possible and understand what an umpire 's role is in the pitchers results . UMPS dont set the tone 98% of the time . The SP does . Your giving umps to much credit as have alot of people here . How is 55% a bias ? I dont get that . So 55 of 100 games go over and thats a bias ? You change 5 outcomes and you are at 50-50. So I dont see how 55% indicates anything . UMPs keep the flow going they dont dictate it when doing there job correctly.

You should care what an umps strike % is . It tells a story . Umps are getting way to much hype these days . There is no denying umps play a role but its just a piece of the puzzle . I rather se people focus on the strike % in relation to assigned totals and outcomes more then anything . You get a UMP who has good SP matchups and low strike % you will see the runs correlation. Just like when you get the ump with bad pitchers and high % . It tells a story . BB to K and and Hrs avg' are so dependent on who pitches .

Who said luck ? The LUCK if any was that those SP matchups went under and not just UNDER Your right he cant control matchups and thats my point matchups are much more on the outcome of total then who is umping . I am not directing this towards you its a statement about umps in general. The key is finding umps that are doing opposite of what the SP matchup might suggest continually. Thats all I am saying here . Buerhle v Marshall doesnt scream under . If you looked at the way I did it though after I finished looking at it .

The guy had 9 unders this year . The avg total was about 9 and the avg outcome was 5.5 runs . Funny the game ended 5-1 . Those games didnt go under they flew under and there were just avg SP matchups for the most part . What is he going to do when the SP has a bum arm in Shaun Hill's case ? What is he going to do when he gets fringe ML pitchers on the road like Josh Fogg at place like Wrigley or Baek on the road , Badenhop 1st start in his home town , and Bush had a no-no for like 8 innings but Jays scored a bunch late was that his doing ? Shit out of his control . He does seem to have a track record of taking avg and below avg SP who throws strikes and makes them serviceable for a day .

I understand how you keep track of data and maybe you are right . Drake might just hit 55% overs for the next 5 years . It doesnt mean anything to me . I look at everything indivually . To me if I get guys in good grooves and the totals are right as is the situation , then I am more then confident having him behind the dish . To keep the flow going .....

It's all good . I am not looking to argue its my opinion ...sharing my rationale...people can do what they want with it ..

A game like this when I have time to look at sure I will look at the umpire most times I dont . Just like Emmel @ Texas . He had very little impact in my decision . I liked Hurley's ability vs LHB and Moyer was lucky to face a Texas team scuffling vs LHP . Then you have an 11 total and throw in Emmel it s like the icing on the cake.....:shake:

Buerhle has a little bit of everything but he has lost alot of velocity in recent years . He already is Tom Glavine with about 3 MPH more on his fastball IMO. Being LHP , changing speeds real well , putting the ball where you want , being a little herky jerky all wrapped into one does wonders for him. Hitting him isnt the problem as is hitting him square . His game log says it all. Think 17 starts and 5 bad ones but I mean bad then 2 real solid and about 10 like tonight . It's like the announcers who happen to be ex-MLB always say .....you would be suprised how many times a hitter would miss a BP fastball right down the middle.

Buerhle in 2008 17 starts now
5 bad ones (5runs or more allowed)
25 Inn 46H 34R 31ER 5Hrs 9bb 17 K 11.16 ERA

12 other good ones:
86.2 Inn 70H 20 R 16 ER 4Hr 20 BB 45K 1.66 ERA

Buerhle v Marshall doesnt scream under . If you looked at the way I did it though after I finished looking at it .

After 24 runs were scored in the first 2 games of the series, at a venue where these 2 teams matching up produce far less runs historically than when they meet at Wrigley, the situation screamed don't expect a 3rd straight runs fest. The reason I backed Over is ultimately because of a longer term investment angle which comes up for real next Sunday night (BOS @NYY).

sportsnut , i understand what you are saying ..... runs scored might be the most effected by the actual matchups a umpire gets assigned. But his over/under results do matter.

Whether the umpire was calling a game between peavy and webb or calling a game between chen ho park and joel piniero shouldnt make a difference in terms of his over/under numbers. That should already be reflected in the price. One game is set at 10 and the other at 6.5. Assuming all the prices are basically "fair" , the quality of the starters doesn't really matter.

Now it will effect strike percentage as you stated earlier.

I agree that it is just a part of the bigger puzzle but maybe a larger part than you give it credit for.

To each his own , and you are good at capping baseball without taking much consideration in umpiring. I think there are angles with umps though. There is a chance you could be missing out on extra value.

There ' s always a twist . Wrigley is one of the places that can produce Nintendo like scores and its quite clear that Cubs cant hit away like they do at home. It's not a good comparision cause Wrigley is such a good hitters park and the only somewhat simliar comparision is Fenway and Boston. A good hitters park whose team hits grossly better there . Its just commonsense to expect the games not to be as high scoring . Just like Boston scores less on the road so does Chicago. Its to general . Which I am trying to emphasize as being my distaste . I clearly understand your point but think because of Wrigley's effect it really has no bearing on the scores @ US CELLULAR . USCellular though is one of the better hitters parks and HR parks as well . I can understand what you are saying as for the 3rd game in the venue but you also have to look at what the WSox have done past 15-20 at home. WS were 11-3-1 over at home since Guillen's tirade and 2 were vs COL the only games they scored less then 5 times. On the surface thinking game 3 could be low scoring after two high scoring games makes sense to me . Just doesnt make sense when you look at the ballparks as a reason cause WSox park is a launching pad. Venue has nothing to do with it IMO .

There is always many twists . My point is this and not saying it was yours the perception of the matchup is over and its bet in that manner . When most of the info actually suggests an under from what I looked at it. I dont see how past history plays into this series when you look at the current form .

Like I said I know what you look for but I think your weighing some things to heavily . However thats not for me to decide . If this game screamed UNDER then there would have some nice action reducing the vig. Trust me I increased my play as I saw the chasers driving the vig up last minute when I got my last piece in at 9 +105 . So I hear your points and agree to some degree . By no means do I think Mr.Drake made this game an under like I said I just felt he wouldnt do anything to steer it from that direction . Which people who took the over seemed to think he would steer in that direction .

It's pretty simple WSox have struggled vs LHSP avg just 4 runs per even with some big outbursts . Buerhle had been given lackluster run support much of the year getting 3 or less in 9 of his 16 starts. Cubs pen was in decent shape as far as availability . Marshall has decent success in the past vs WS minus Uribe . Cubs minus Soriano lose there biggest bat on offense vs LHSP , there away splits are terrible , there bottom of the order featured Edmonds ( LHB) , Blanco and Cedeno. This game had 4-3 or 5-3written all over it IMO....regardless of past series history , ump or whatever ....current form outweighed them all .....yet it was still getting bet up so thats my version of the perfect storm and I caught it 2 possible 3 times in the last 2 games today with Texas ML and even Texas under though I was cautious...

I know you master all these angles and I dont question any of there validity . I just think your making a mistake if you expect Drake help you on marginal over plays . Which I assume you agree with as marginal since you said it screamed under ....thats all this was about ....

sportsnut , i understand what you are saying ..... runs scored might be the most effected by the actual matchups a umpire gets assigned. But his over/under results do matter.

Whether the umpire was calling a game between peavy and webb or calling a game between chen ho park and joel piniero shouldnt make a difference in terms of his over/under numbers. That should already be reflected in the price. One game is set at 10 and the other at 6.5. Assuming all the prices are basically "fair" , the quality of the starters doesn't really matter.

Now it will effect strike percentage as you stated earlier.

I agree that it is just a part of the bigger puzzle but maybe a larger part than you give it credit for.

To each his own , and you are good at capping baseball without taking much consideration in umpiring. I think there are angles with umps though. There is a chance you could be missing out on extra value.

Why though VK? It's not an easy discussion to have over a message forum .

Think about it logically .

What do low totals suggest ? Besides quality SP?

Dont they suggest lower scoring games . You see peavy vs Webb and we think runs are at a premium . So if the expectation is for a lower scoring game then what does the actual result have to do with it ? Is there any difference if the total is 7 runs and the game scores 6 or 8 runs in what effect the ump had on the game ? Maybe I dont explain it right but the underlying message the total gives doesnt seem to be clear to everyone. Peavy v Webb is supposed to go under if they are in good form , isnt it ? Its supposed to be low scoring regardless of what the posted total is .

I understand paying attention to O-U records but I am saying thaey dont portay a clear example . Sure I am willing to gamble on an Under if a guy has an 11-3 record for UNDERS to date if the situation looks possible. Still I want to know why the UNDER run is coming from. I do pay attention to guys who have huge Home biases as I have uncovered guys who are sometimes 45-18 for home chalk over a span . I like shit that behind me .

I dont think I understand your point about the SP matchups. It does mean alot . Guys with 10 totals are medicore pitchers . Medicore pitchers throw less strikes and may actually have to rely on an umpire more then a quality pitcher does . They allow more hits and more runs . Thats what makes them medicore . Thats my point Jake Peavy when he is going good doesnt give a fuck who is umping , it simply doesnt matter . While Jaime Moyer does because he is at the mercy of the ump on most days . Which is why Moyer will never have a 6. total. So 6.5 totals suggest low scoring games so if an UMP has low totals and a .500 O/U record then he has hardly any effect . Even if he was 9-0 OVER I would be cautious if his runs per game avg 7.1 runs and his avg total was 6.5 . However if he was 6-3 over and avg 8.2 runs with that 6.5 avg I would weigh him heavily as having an effect . WHich again how can you weigh an o/U record without knowing the totals for an ump and his SP ?

So I dont agree the total reflects the SP matchup . In the sense you are saying in that it stops there . Higher totals simple suggest higher probabilities of runs being scored and vice versa . Whats more shocking Peavy vs Webb being 1-0 or Giese vs Pelfrey ?

I am not saying there arent angles to use . Hell I use days of the week angles for side plays . I am saying they all play roles . Rarely does anyone explain what role the home plate ump in helping there posted play achieve its goal . I see so many obvious plays made and people backing it due to the ump and then suggesting the ump played a role . I took the over @ SD today because you had 2 name SP who had battled injuries and probably less then 100% of there peak performance . Still couldnt tell you who the ump was and if it was a guy who had an over bias I think its ridiculous to allow him any credit when he had 1 SP at 75% and another at maybe 85%.

I respect BC and all his points . My only point was Rob Drake from what I see tends to make SP better rather then worse . Which is what I want for an UNDER play . Which is what every gambler should want from ump .....

I dont want waste everyone's time here arguing something that I may not be clear on. I still think they are alot variables when making plays and the lowest factor is the umpire .

:shake:

Peavy v Webb is supposed to go under if they are in good form , isnt it ?

no it isn't. The number a vast majority of the time is fair. Therefore , the over/under percent should reflect that.

I am not talking about the cubs/cws game tonight specifically. I am saying that umpires and their biases ... whether it be home bias , away bias , over bias , under bias , bias against specific teams , bias against specific players , bias under different conditions ... are factors that we as handicappers should look at.

So I dont agree the total reflects the SP matchup . In the sense you are saying in that it stops there . Higher totals simple suggest higher probabilities of runs being scored and vice versa

Can you explain that paragraph to me ....? i have read it thirteen times and it still seems in direct conflict with itself every time i read it. When the book feels a game should have 10 runs scored in it , it makes the total 10 runs. When the book feels the game should have 7 runs scored it makes the total a 7. ( it actually is more trying to get even action but you know what i mean ). So the starting pitching has been accounted for in the line. That is my point. In other words , assuming the book has not made a bad line, there should be about a 50% chance of the game set at 7 going over the total , and there should be about a 50% chance of the game set at 10 going over. If one of those two lines is off , and therefore the percent changes enough to warrant a bet then of course it is different. But from the perspective of betting ....... are you telling me that you think more games set at 10 are going to go over than games set at 7 ??????? It should be about equal.... again assuming the line is right. And therefore , if an umpire shows a lean to games going over or under more than they should , that has to be relevant.

Okay ..

We dont agree on the Peavy v Webb aspect . Peavy vs Webb when bith are on is supposed to be low scoring . There is no arguing that . Thats why the are stud SPs . When they are good they are tough to hit and tough to score on. I am not talking about this in relations to totals . I am talking real life. Probably 75% of the time those guys are going to be real good. Just like 75% of the time Josh Fogg is going to get hit fairly hard . Forget totals . Talking pure baseball logic . So I am saying if they hang a 7 on those 2 in theory they still should go under more times then over .

I know your not speaking about the game today . Neither am I . What I am saying what is a bias to one isnt a bias to all . Which in effect means its not a bias it has to be clear . A 55% over rate is not an over bias IMO when your talking 100-200 games . All you have to is flip 6-8 results to get to 50% which is the definition of neutral . A bias to me is a large majority like 2/3 of the time . So I know this has no bearing .

What I am saying is that it seems as if you say the total being adjusted due to SP makes up for the differnential in talent of SP say bewteen a 6.5 total and 10 total. I am saying I dont agree with that in the sense the total IMPLIES so much more then that . Low totals imply the higher probablility of less runs scored and higher totals imply the higher probability of runs scored . After all isnt a run worth more in a game with a 7 total then a 10 total ? So its not as simple as saying the adjustment makes up the difference . They are two totally different types of games IMO. Which is why I am saying knowing what totals assigned to ump is of huge importance .

Understand my point ? Games with 7 totals vs games with 10 totals are two entirely different animals IMO. By lumping all an umps games together the aspect is lost. Take peavy v Webb if its 1-1 after 6 innings is any suprise ? Is Sowers vs Zito being 1-1 a huge suprise after 6 innings ? Same result two totally different stories though . Now is 6-5 with Sowers v Zit a huge suprise ? Not at all but Webb v peavy being 6-5 kinda is ...

I have always looked at umps looking at there totals in seperate categories . Which is why ShortLine was posting his SN scale after my comments .

So that was my point . Simply adjusting totals doesnt level the playing field IMO.

Obviously I agree with your example but again not really even talking about aspects like oddsmakers objective. Sort of talking just simple logic.

I do see your point in theory that it all starts at being 50-50 chance of winning . Guess I dont look at it like that . Though if I did again a variance to 55% really doesnt say much though its a minor blip.

are you telling me that you think more games set at 10 are going to go over than games set at 7 ??????? It should be about equal.... again assuming the line is right. And therefore , if an umpire shows a lean to games going over or under more than they should , that has to be relevant.

What I am saying is this games set at 10 are implied to have more walks , less strikes , more runs , etc then lower totaled games especially those set at 7 . I am not talking chances of winning which I think is the mixup. I am talking about what a 10 total in baseball implies ? Sort of like what a 50 total in football implies or a 33 total in the NFL. What happens after that could be a result of many different factors . Which I am not getting into . This things may or may not occur but they ae still implied by the simple fact of where the number is set .

So now I am saying if the number is often for a certain ump what can he do to stop this implied offense ? The expectation is for runs already . So how does his presence change that ? I am not saying 10 totals are more likely to go over . I am saying 10 totals are more likely to see runs .

Not sure I can be any clearer . Higher totals implies higher likelyhood of runs making the value of a run lower . Where lower totals do the opposite . So in umpire terms why give credit to an ump for calling a 3-2 game with Peavy vs Webb when that was the implied result ? If it happened to be 3-3 and someone hit a 2 run walkoff Hr did the particular ump skew that result ? I guess I am saying there are alot of obvious things when looking at totals . Certain teams are hitting LHP now . Do I need to wait to see who the ump is to play an under ? You really shouldnt . Which is alot of what I see here . A team on a fairly obvious run strong over or strong under and people waiting on umps as if thats what causing it ....

I need sleep VK . Have to be in the city in a few hours. Just know I am not arguing with your guys we have different approaches . For today my oint was simply if you felt Drake was going to lead to an over somehow cause of his track record then I think his track record is not what it appears. Not directed at VK or BC . Its just how I started on this topic. Hit me up tmrw if we should finish this.....:shake:

There ' s always a twist . Wrigley is one of the places that can produce Nintendo like scores and its quite clear that Cubs cant hit away like they do at home. It's not a good comparision cause Wrigley is such a good hitters park and the only somewhat simliar comparision is Fenway and Boston. A good hitters park whose team hits grossly better there . Its just commonsense to expect the games not to be as high scoring .

I appreciate that, but the O/U numbers between the respective venues also reflect that - on an O/U basis (where conditions are obviously reflected in the line), they produce more Overs at Wrigley, not just simply more runs (which as you point out, is physically expected because of the conditions).
Last weekend they did exactly the same thing, 2 Overs the first 2 games, then an Under on ESPN Sunday night. Only then it "should've" been an Over but for 5 DPs and CWS scoring 1 run off 10 hits. Tonight there can be no argument for it being a "real" Under result.
From my POV, I couldn't afford to allow the chance of an Over result as it relates to what I'm doing, so I bet enough to get back what I lost on the Over last Sun. night, equating to a break even situation if I won, not down a significant amount overall if I lost. Next Sunday is when things get ramped up.

What I am saying is this games set at 10 are implied to have more walks , less strikes , more runs , etc then lower totaled games especially those set at 7 . I am not talking chances of winning which I think is the mixup. I am talking about what a 10 total in baseball implies ? Sort of like what a 50 total in football implies or a 33 total in the NFL. What happens after that could be a result of many different factors . Which I am not getting into . This things may or may not occur but they ae still implied by the simple fact of where the number is set .

You are confusing me again. The respective lines imply this to me ...

Game 1 total 50
game 2 total 33

game 1 should go over the total of 33 roughly 50% of the time it the line is right.

game 2 should go over the total of 50 roughly 50% of the time if the line is right.

I DON'T SEE HOW IT MATTERS THAT GAME 2 IS MORE LIKELY TO HAVE MORE SCORING.

of course it is more likely to have more scoring ... but it isn't any more likely to go over 50 than game 1 is likely to go over 33.... again assuming an accurate line.

Your logic seems to dictate that a low total should be bet under and a high total should be bet over ...all other things being equal. That makes no sense to me. They are the same.

This is where we are stuck in disagreement.

So now I am saying if the number is often for a certain ump what can he do to stop this implied offense ? The expectation is for runs already . So how does his presence change that ? I am not saying 10 totals are more likely to go over . I am saying 10 totals are more likely to see runs .

Right . again of course a game where the total is set at 7 is expected to have less runs than a game set at 10. But the game set at ten is not more likely to go over. If it were , then we would all be betting high totals over and low totals under. So what if there are 9 runs scored in the game set at ten and 8 runs scored in the game set at 7. One game scored more runs but went under and one scored less runs and went over. That is what i am saying. i am failing to understand your point as it relates to evaluating an umpire to determine if he creates added value or decreased value in a possible play..

All I care about is how the umpires bias relates to the posted total of the game.

Understand my point ? Games with 7 totals vs games with 10 totals are two entirely different animals IMO. By lumping all an umps games together the aspect is lost. Take peavy v Webb if its 1-1 after 6 innings is any suprise ? Is Sowers vs Zito being 1-1 a huge suprise after 6 innings ? Same result two totally different stories though . Now is 6-5 with Sowers v Zit a huge suprise ? Not at all but Webb v peavy being 6-5 kinda is ...

of course one is a bigger surprise as far as number of runs scored in those scenarios but neither is a surprise as it relates to the posted total. I am talking about betting here.

I have always looked at umps looking at there totals in seperate categories . Which is why ShortLine was posting his SN scale after my comments

Which is great and i look at that scale. But this is just taking a more detailed approach to umpire bias not eliminating it or making inconsequential.

So now I am saying if the number is often for a certain ump what can he do to stop this implied offense ? The expectation is for runs already . So how does his presence change that ?

It has to do with probability. If the umpire has a bigger strike zone it makes it more difficult for the batter to get hits , it makes it less likely to get baserunners via walks and since the batter is more likely to strikeout it also makes runners by error less likely... , it makes it less likely that pitchcounts get high and the bullpens have to come in earlier. His presence matters.

Not sure I can be any clearer . Higher totals implies higher likelyhood of runs making the value of a run lower . Where lower totals do the opposite . So in umpire terms why give credit to an ump for calling a 3-2 game with Peavy vs Webb when that was the implied result ?

Again , i am not saying bet umpires in a vacuum i am saying that matter when handicapping. That 3-2 game that the umpire called might have been a 4-3 game by someone with a tighter zone. One extra walk in front of a homer. One extra pitch that the pitcher has to put over the heart of the plate cause he knows he wont get the call on the corner or because he already has a 3 ball count and so he hs to groove it to avoid the walk. How can the size of an umpires strike zone NOT effect the game.

Let me ask you this question then , could donaghy effect a nba game as an official ??

If an umpire was crooked , could he effect the game ??

If so , how could he ??

vk - totals betray expected amount of baserunners. More baserunners naturally mean a higher number of walks, which speak to total balls called.

And Overs therefore aren't of equal value when comparing an Umps 10+ total results to his 8-9.0 total results. Not all Overs are equal.

The observation in return is, Jeff Nelson could call less balls with an 10.0 total than he could with a 7.0 total, because he's Jeff Nelson, a cocksucker with a fucked zone. So a 10 total may naturally expect more balls being given by Jeff, but there's no guarantee Jeff's gonna oblige.

Back