South Carolina @ Ole Miss

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Congrats to OM on a big win over UF in the swamp.

Recap of the UAB-SC game is pretty easy. Final score was 26-13, was 20-6 at half and UAB added a score with about 20 seconds left in the game on the 3rd team Defense to make it 26-13. I said a few times, I wouldn't back SC-24.5 when the line came out and then when Bob moved it there was no way I'd lay 27 with them. This game was a glorified scrimmage. Stephen Garcia played the whole 1st half except the first series and he hardly played in the 2nd half.

Garcia: 13/20 - 130yds - 1td - 1int - 18rushes - 86yds.
Smelley: 3/9 - 44yds - 0td - 1int - 1rush - -9yds.
Beecher: 2/4 - 20yds - 0td - 0int - 2rush - -10yds.

Important to understand that most of his rushes are not designed runs, he maybe had some happy feet but if he didn't see anything open downfield, then he took off for the sideline. He didn't slide or get out of bounds nearly enough and he will physically get killed if he tries to do that against an SEC defense 18 times but he can clearly make a play out of nothing. His INT came on a long 3rd down and he just threw the ball towards the endzone. Overall, his first series was a little shaky but after when the nerves were gone it was clear that 1) He brings excitement to the offense, 2) He can make all the throws, 3) He can create something when the pocket breaksdown or there is no one open downfield, 4) Because of his inexperience he is going to make some mistakes but at this point, who the hell cares, we have 15 tunovers on the year already. Smelley looked terrible and I hope he never plays again. Garcia clearly out played him and Beecher played some and shouldn't even be in this discussion. I believe Spurrier is going to start Garcia this week as he should for the rest of the year but I am unsure why he didn't play him in the second half. I would be trying to get the kid as much experience as possible. The running game was slacking and once again for the 5th game this year, the Gamecocks DID NOT win the turnover battle.

I will keep the status updated about Kenny McKinnley this week, hopefully he is back but I'd say right now its 50-50. Everyone else from the suspensions should be back.

Chess Match:

Ole Miss DC Tyrone Nix will be going against his former employee this week. The Ole Miss defense has a strong DL but they have been gashed for some yards this year.

Turnovers:

South Carolina has not won a turnover battle in any game this season. They have a total of 15 turnovers on the year. The most yards SC ha given up this yr is 285yds of total offense to Wofford. They have out-gained every team they've played but because of turnovers they are sitting at 3-2. On the flip side, Ole Miss had 6 turnovers in the Vandy game and was -4 overall in that game and in their Wake Forest loss they were -2 in turnovers. Simply put, which ever team wins the turnover battle likely wins this game.

Must Win:

This game is pretty much a MUST WIN for South Carolina and the same can be said for Ole Miss. This game will go a long way in dictating the outcome of the rest of the season for South Carolina.

Line:

Its possible this line is off just a little bit because the Ole Miss win will be fresh in the minds of people. OM was -7 against Vandy at home and they should of won that game, then they win the UF game, so I'm thinking the line comes out at -7 or more, originally I thought it might be -3.5 or -4 but with the poor performances against shit teams for SC, I think it will be closer to the -7ish.

I will be out for a while today so wanted to get this up early. Should be a very fun game to watch this weekend. If you got any questions, comments, be sure to post them. I'm sure Ramble will have some stuff to add this week.

Last edited:
ETG -

Thanks for the early thoughts. Now that I've seen the Rebs actually "perform" I think we're the real deal. It says a lot about a squad to lose to Vandy at home in devastating fashion (6 turnovers) and then go win at the swamp. This is a must-win for SC too but not sure they can keep up with the Rebs on Saturday. Some more thoughts later. :shake:

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1068769" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>RambleOn</TD><TD class=alt2>ETG -

Thanks for the early thoughts. Now that I've seen the Rebs actually "perform" I think we're the real deal. It says a lot about a squad to lose to Vandy at home in devastating fashion (6 turnovers) and then go win at the swamp. This is a must-win for SC too but not sure they can keep up with the Rebs on Saturday. Some more thoughts later. :shake:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm kind of reserved on my thoughts right now, I can not remember the last game South Carolina played a complete football game for 60 minutes. I can't remember the last game I've come away and said, "We played really well today.", even if it was in a loss and I don't know when the light for this team will come on and things will just click. That was a big win for Ole Miss and I'm not going to take anything away from it, holding Tebow to 7yds is an accomplishment. Obviously Hardy at DE is a big boost and he isn't he 100% yet. The stars aligned for Ole Miss in the swamp and it was their day. They were out gained by 125yds, were +2 in turnovers, and held UF to 1-11 on 3rd down. I'm not taking anything away from the win, as I said above, good win for Ole Miss.

September 27, 2008

Win at the Swamp a Turning Point for Ole Miss
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Win at The Swamp a turning point for Ole Miss[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Win at The Swamp a turning point for Ole Miss "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Win at The Swamp a turning point for Ole Miss"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Neal McCready
Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Grove

GAINESVILLE, Fla. _ First, understand this: Kentrell Lockett is from south Louisiana and like many Cajuns, Lockett loves to tell a tall tale.

<!--Start FloridaTebowStuffed405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695806.jpg', '695806.jpg', 0, 220, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss defensive back Marucs Temple and defensive tackle Peria Jerry stop Tim Tebow on fourth-and-1 at the Rebels\' 32 in the final minute Saturday to preserve Ole Miss\' 31-30 win.', 'Dave Childers', 1222558483000, 'FloridaTebowStuffed405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
695806.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Dave Childers</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss defensive back Marucs Temple and defensive tackle Peria Jerry stop Tim Tebow on fourth-and-1 at the Rebels' 32 in the final minute Saturday to preserve Ole Miss' 31-30 win.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaTebowStuffed405 Image-->Ole Miss' defensive end blocked Jonathan Phillips' potential game-tying extra point late in the fourth quarter, preserving the Rebels' 31-30 lead. We all saw it. Television replays confirmed it, as do numerous still photos.

No one can confirm, at least not yet, that Lockett played a key role on the game's penultimate play, but Lockett said he was one of the first to know that Tim Tebow's fourth-and-1 run from the Ole Miss 32-yard line with 41 seconds left came up short.

"I was just looking for the ball and seeing if he had the first down," Lockett said. "I was under the pile somewhere."

Lockett said he was on the ground at the bottom of a massive pile of humanity, his arms around last year's Heisman Trophy winner.

"He wasn't far enough to get the first down," Lockett said as the crowd of reporters around him grew. "He was saying, "I got it. I got it.' I said, 'No, you don't. No, you don't.' I was on the ground looking up at him and he was stretching the ball. I said, 'You don't have it. You don't have it.'"

Tebow didn't have it. Instead, Ole Miss had the biggest win in at least the last five years, probably the most significant win for the Rebels since winning at Auburn in November 2003. It might have been even bigger than that. It was the Rebels' first win over a top-five opponent since beating No. 3 Notre Dame in September 1977 in Jackson, Miss.

"This is big," Lockett said. "I think this is going to be the turning point of Ole Miss. We're climbing now. We're going to the top and we started with Florida. The whole team's on a high right now. I don't know what to say right now. I don't know what to feel. I'm happy."

As the Rebels finally left the playing field to go to a jubilant locker room, one player after another embraced first-year coach Houston Nutt. There were tears, smiles and _ frankly _ relief. After devastating losses at Wake Forest on Sept. 6 and at home against Vanderbilt last Saturday, Ole Miss broke through.

<!--Start FlaTebowLaurent405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695641.jpg', '695641.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss defensive tackle Ted Laurent gets to Tim Tebow during Saturday\'s game. The Rebels sacked Tebow three times Saturday and had four other tackles for loss.', 'John Rauox', 1222558633000, 'FlaTebowLaurent405', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=407>
695641.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: John Rauox</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss defensive tackle Ted Laurent gets to Tim Tebow during Saturday's game. The Rebels sacked Tebow three times Saturday and had four other tackles for loss.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FlaTebowLaurent405 Image-->"We ought to be able to take off," Nutt said. "We really should. This ought to give us a lot of confidence. What you always feel from them _ and this is what we've talked about _ is they have a mindset of, 'Well, we're not going to be able to pull it out.' It was different today. They kept believing today. This ought to really jump-start us to see what happens when we do play without mistakes, play error-free and take care of the ball. Look what happens. You can score 31 points against a great team."

Nutt has preached belief since he first showed up at Ole Miss in November. In the aftermath of the loss to Vanderbilt, that belief could have been shaken. It wasn't. Instead, Nutt was surprisingly upbeat around the players. The Rebels had one of their best weeks of practice, and on Thursday, as equipment managers packed the team's truck for the trek to Gainesville, Ole Miss had a short, loose session.

"I think it's just being comfortable and confident in the schemes and what the coaches are telling you and just believing on what they tell you to do on Saturday," Lockett said. "We felt good with the gameplan going into the game. Everyone knew what to do, knew their responsibility and knew what gap to hit. You're going to feel better, play faster and be comfortable. You can have fun while you're doing this. When you know what you're doing, everything goes well and practice is easy."

"Coach Nutt is unbelievable," Ole Miss offensive coordinator Kent Austin said. "He's the most positive guy I've ever been around. On wins and losses, he's the exact same guy. He keeps building into the players. He keeps edifying them and uplifting them. He keeps them believing, and because of his consistency, I believe that's one of the reasons we were able to win this football game today."

So where to from here? The win over Florida changed everything. No longer does Ole Miss have to look at the remainder of the schedule and whisper, "That's a loss." There are certainly games on tap _ at Alabama and at LSU, especially _ that are going to be serious challenges, but the Rebels now have confidence to go along with the talent.

<!--Start FloridaWallace250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695775.jpg', '695775.jpg', 1, 300, 250, 1, 'Ole Miss wide receiver/kickoff returner Mike Wallace gave the Gators fits on special teams all day, rolling up 140 yards in kickoff returns.', 'Phil Sandlin', 1222558724000, 'FloridaWallace250', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
695775.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Phil Sandlin</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss wide receiver/kickoff returner Mike Wallace gave the Gators fits on special teams all day, rolling up 140 yards in kickoff returns.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaWallace250 Image-->It all starts with Saturday's home game against South Carolina. A win would send the Rebels into the open date at 4-2, and with Arkansas, Louisiana-Monroe and Mississippi State left on the schedule, the Rebels' bowl hopes are more than a little realistic.

"It's only going to get better," Ole Miss defensive tackle Peria Jerry said.

On Saturday, optimism abounded. A team that seemed to find new ways to lose found one incredible way to win. They probably became much more dangerous in the process.

"Coach Nutt just told us to keep believing," Jerry said. "Everybody said the coaches were not giving up on us, and we're not going to give up on them. We kept fighting. He told us the last five minutes of the ballgame would be the biggest five minutes of your life. We took upon that and gave it our all.

"We have to go in and watch film, see where we made mistakes and prepare for South Carolina. This is a turning point for our football team. We know we can win."

Good article. Rebs should be sky-high after that win. I'm not sure about a letdown factor, but I'm pretty sure the line is gonna be jacked a little higher than usual, so line value to SC right off the bat, perhaps?

Good article. Rebs should be sky-high after that win. I'm not sure about a letdown factor, but I'm pretty sure the line is gonna be jacked a little higher than usual, so line value to SC right off the bat, perhaps?

Thats my thinking.

2 games this week with line value right off the bat, should be Utah at home Thursday and South Carolina. OSU and Ole Miss are 22+ point SU dogs off wins over 2 really big names in college football.

Preseason I said this game worried me, I thought we would be 4-1 here and Ole Miss would be 4-1 or 3-2. I said to myself, if the line was anything over -3, there is no way you can play South Carolina but now in WK 6, There is no way South Carolina is going to be favored on the road. I am expecting something around 7 points.

Thats my thinking.

2 games this week with line value right off the bat, should be Utah at home Thursday and South Carolina. OSU and Ole Miss are 22+ point SU dogs off wins over 2 really big names in college football.

Preseason I said this game worried me, I thought we would be 4-1 here and Ole Miss would be 4-1 or 3-2. I said to myself, if the line was anything over -3, there is no way you can play South Carolina but now in WK 6, There is no way South Carolina is going to be favored on the road. I am expecting something around 7 points.

Exactly. Ten point swing to what it could have been. Guess we need to wait and see the line, but I think I am gonna lean Rebs at -6.5 or better.

Congrats to OM on a big win over UF in the swamp.

Recap of the UAB-SC game is pretty easy. Final score was 26-13, was 20-6 at half and UAB added a score with about 20 seconds left in the game on the 3rd team Defense to make it 26-13. I said a few times, I wouldn't back SC-24.5 when the line came out and then when Bob moved it there was no way I'd lay 27 with them. This game was a glorified scrimmage. Stephen Garcia played the whole 1st half except the first series and he hardly played in the 2nd half.

Garcia: 13/20 - 130yds - 1td - 1int - 18rushes - 86yds.
Smelley: 3/9 - 44yds - 0td - 1int - 1rush - -9yds.
Beecher: 2/4 - 20yds - 0td - 0int - 2rush - -10yds.

Important to understand that most of his rushes are not designed runs, he maybe had some happy feet but if he didn't see anything open downfield, then he took off for the sideline. He didn't slide or get out of bounds nearly enough and he will physically get killed if he tries to do that against an SEC defense 18 times but he can clearly make a play out of nothing. His INT came on a long 3rd down and he just threw the ball towards the endzone. Overall, his first series was a little shaky but after when the nerves were gone it was clear that 1) He brings excitement to the offense, 2) He can make all the throws, 3) He can create something when the pocket breaksdown or there is no one open downfield, 4) Because of his inexperience he is going to make some mistakes but at this point, who the hell cares, we have 15 tunovers on the year already. Smelley looked terrible and I hope he never plays again. Garcia clearly out played him and Beecher played some and shouldn't even be in this discussion. I believe Spurrier is going to start Garcia this week as he should for the rest of the year but I am unsure why he didn't play him in the second half. I would be trying to get the kid as much experience as possible. The running game was slacking and once again for the 5th game this year, the Gamecocks DID NOT win the turnover battle.

I will keep the status updated about Kenny McKinnley this week, hopefully he is back but I'd say right now its 50-50. Everyone else from the suspensions should be back.

Chess Match:

Ole Miss DC Tyrone Nix will be going against his former employee this week. The Ole Miss defense has a strong DL but they have been gashed for some yards this year.

Turnovers:

South Carolina has not won a turnover battle in any game this season. They have a total of 15 turnovers on the year. The most yards SC ha given up this yr is 285yds of total offense to Wofford. They have out-gained every team they've played but because of turnovers they are sitting at 3-2. On the flip side, Ole Miss had 6 turnovers in the Vandy game and was -4 overall in that game and in their Wake Forest loss they were -2 in turnovers. Simply put, which ever team wins the turnover battle likely wins this game.

Must Win:

This game is pretty much a MUST WIN for South Carolina and the same can be said for Ole Miss. This game will go a long way in dictating the outcome of the rest of the season for South Carolina.

Line:

Its possible this line is off just a little bit because the Ole Miss win will be fresh in the minds of people. OM was -7 against Vandy at home and they should of won that game, then they win the UF game, so I'm thinking the line comes out at -7 or more, originally I thought it might be -3.5 or -4 but with the poor performances against shit teams for SC, I think it will be closer to the -7ish.

I will be out for a while today so wanted to get this up early. Should be a very fun game to watch this weekend. If you got any questions, comments, be sure to post them. I'm sure Ramble will have some stuff to add this week.

Same old story with these guys .... defense plays great and offense moves the ball but finds a way to not light up the scoreboard.

I think spurrier sat Garcia down for the very reason you mention early in that post. When Garcia was scrambling he kept putting his head down for the extra yards , i can clearly remember him doing atleast once right at the sideline when he could have skipped out of bounds. Garcia is going to be the guy the rest of the season , i would imagine. Thinking spurrier wanted to keep Garcia healthy , where as you and i probably think he needs as many snaps as possible.

First week i didnt bet against florida this year ... sucks.

Exactly. Ten point swing to what it could have been. Guess we need to wait and see the line, but I think I am gonna lean Rebs at -6.5 or better.

I don't think the line should be Ole Miss -7 but because of what has been going on, I was thinking they get a lot of love this week, especially off the big upset and the way SC is playing against inferior teams. Like I said, originally I thought it would be -3.5 or -4.

I have no lean at this point, I have to look at some things on the SC side before I form an opinion on what will happen.

Same old story with these guys .... defense plays great and offense moves the ball but finds a way to not light up the scoreboard.

I think spurrier sat Garcia down for the very reason you mention early in that post. When Garcia was scrambling he kept putting his head down for the extra yards , i can clearly remember him doing atleast once right at the sideline when he could have skipped out of bounds. Garcia is going to be the guy the rest of the season , i would imagine. Thinking spurrier wanted to keep Garcia healthy , where as you and i probably think he needs as many snaps as possible.

First week i didnt bet against florida this year ... sucks.

Agree with the same-old-story. Its very tough for me to watch, I hate our offense and the OBC is the one responsible for this failure. He has what is a top 3-4 defense in the conference and he has a bottom tier offense that he controls. His first new hire should be an OL coach, there is no f'en way they should have this many problems run blocking.

Post game interviews, Garcia mentioned that he needs to slide so I hope he keeps that as a mental note. Also agree that Garcia is going to be the man the rest of the season, there is no reason for him not to be. His timing on some routes was just off but you can just tell he has some talent, unlike Smelley who I feel is at his ceiling.

Sucks about the UF game, we both knew that was way too many points, I have just been fearing this UF outbreak on offense but they are clearly not as potent as last season.

I know y'all will analyze this game inside and out by the time next weekend rolls around but I just wanted to reiterate that the Ole Miss D-line DOMINATED the Gators O-line and controlled the LOS.

Tebow was sacked 3 or 4 times and pressured all day...made the Heisman Winna look like a very ordinary QB.

This is a HUGE disappointment for Gator Nation (our O-line was supposed to be a strength with us being 8-9 solid players deep) but the SEC East is a little weak and I wouldn't count UF or UGA out.

Gotta give PROPS to Ole Miss and Coach Nutt...going into The Swamp and physically pounding the Gators...:shake:

Will USC's O-line be able to control the LOS or at least hold their own?
If not, I see a long day for The Ball Coach...Ole Miss offense with Snead, a really solid QB, can put up points.

Mully :cheers:

This is not a turning point for OM. They are still the 4th best team in the SEC West. I knew they would hang tight, and I give them credit for pulling off the upset. You will absolutely get value on SC, but I'm not touching it.

This is umm as big as it gets

<DIV id=contentcontainer style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt">September 28, 2008

Redshirt Possible for McKinnley

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Spurrier: Redshirt For McKinley Possible[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier: Redshirt For McKinley Possible "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier: Redshirt For McKinley Possible"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Kenny McKinley, close to becoming USC's all-time leader in a number of pass receiving categories, might not play again in 2008.

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier said Sunday during his weekly teleconference with reporters that it was doubtful McKinley would play in Saturday's key SEC contest at Ole Miss due to his lingering hamstring injury, and that the window of opportunity for his return to action this year is closing rapidly.

"He hasn't run at all," Spurrier said. "I've seen him riding the bike but that's about it. Sure, it's possible (we may pursue a medical redshirt for McKinley). If he doesn't come back in a week or two, that's what we should do. I haven't really talked to him about it."

McKinley hasn't played a down since suffering the injury late in the first quarter of the Sept. 4 loss at Vanderbilt. Without him, USC's vertical passing game has evaporated.

"When the injury occurred, it was only the second game of the year, so we thought he'd hopefully be back by now," Spurrier said. "When it first happened, he was even talking about getting ready for the Georgia game. Certainly, that hasn't happened. I think (giving McKinley a redshirt) might be a smart thing to do."

McKinley (152 catches) is eight receptions short of establishing a new record for most career receptions. All-time leader Sterling Sharpe had 164 catches in his career, while Zola Davis is second with 164.

Even USC's medical staff is approaching the frustration point trying to restore McKinley to full health.

"The trainers just say he's not ready," Spurrier said. "They don't know when he's going to be able to run anymore than we do. He keeps getting treatment. That's about all you can do for a pulled muscle."

The longest pass completion in Saturday night's 26-13 victory over UAB went for 23 yards to tight end Weslye Saunders. But it was not for a lack of trying. Spurrier frequently called for long passes down the field, but they rarely connected.

"We could use (McKinley) right now," Spurrier said. "We could have used him in the last three or four games. We've lost by a touchdown in two conference games. It's a play or two here and there. We miss having him out there."

"For some reason, we've struggled to hit the big play. We have guys open, but the ball is thrown (high) or the ball goes off the hands (of the receiver). A lot of times it doesn't even get thrown."

In McKinley's absence, Spurrier and wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier, Jr. have cobbled together a lineup featuring veterans and young players with little experience.

The latest candidate to try and fill McKinley's large shoes is freshman Jason Barnes, who had three receptions for 46 yards in Saturday night's win over UAB. His first career TD catch was wiped out early in the fourth quarter by a questionable offensive pass interference flag. Two other pass-catchers – Moe Brown and Brian Maddox – also had three receptions.

"Jason Barnes had a good night," Spurrier said. "He's earned a starting position. (The offensive pass interference) was a close call. As he was running down the field and the defensive back got behind him, he tried to knock the guy's hand off or pushed the guy's hand off. He slightly put his hand on him. You can call that. You can't put your hands on him."

Redshirt freshman Matt Clements caught the first two passes of his career Saturday and could make an appearance on the depth chart for this week's upcoming clash in Oxford.

"Matt Clements played pretty well," Spurrier said. "He got a chance to go in there when the guy in front of him wasn't doing much. Heck, those two guys (Barnes and Clements) could be the starting wide receivers this week. We'll wait and see how it goes."

After playing most of the game at quarterback in relief of starter Chris Smelley and throwing for 131 yards while rushing for 86 more, redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia has positioned himself for his first career start on Saturday against the Rebels, Spurrier said.

"Stephen Garcia did a lot of good things," Spurrier said. "He ran out of there too quickly at times, but at other times he made good decisions to run out of there. The more he plays, hopefully, the more he can learn. Stephen made some good plays out there.

"In all likelihood, we're going to get Stephen Garcia ready to play and then have Chris (Smelley) ready also and go from there," Spurrier said.

Spurrier didn't express any special concern about the fact Garcia could make his first career college start on the road against a SEC opponent.

"It's going to be loud," Spurrier said. "But we don't do a whole lot of checking anyway. We keep talking about checking, but we don't do too much."

Garcia is currently USC's second leading rusher behind Mike Davis, who sat out Saturday's game for academic reasons, despite carrying the ball just 19 times this season.

"We have to give Stephen Garcia every opportunity to play," Spurrier said. "His ability to run out of the pocket adds an extra dimension to our offense. We'll see if we can teach him where to throw the ball a little bit."

Defensively, USC limited a UAB offense averaging 414.2 yards in the first four games this season to a mere 207 total yards, exactly one-half its average. As a result, USC now holds the title as the top defensive team in the nation. The Gamecocks are No. 1 in total defense (221.4 ypg) and No. 2 in pass defense (105.0 ypg) in the country among the 119 Division I teams.

They lead the SEC in both important defensive categories, two of the leading indicators relied upon by coaches when they scout opposing defenses.

But the Gamecocks should be tested on the road this Saturday by an Ole Miss offense averaging 30.2 points per game. Rebels QB Jevan Snead, a transfer from Texas, is third in the SEC in passing with an average of 205.8 yards per game.

Snead, one of two SEC quarterbacks to eclipse the millennium mark in passing yardage thus far this season, is second in the conference with 1,029 passing yards. He has eight TD tosses, most in the league.

He passed for two touchdowns and ran for another in Ole Miss' stunning 31-30 upset victory over Florida on Saturday at The Swamp. His biggest TD pass of the season came late when he connected with Shay Hodge on an 86-yard scoring play with 5:26 left in the fourth quarter.

"Ole Miss played well," Spurrier said. "They capitalized on all their scoring chances. I saw in the paper where they only had 10 first downs. But they had some big plays and hit some big passes, one for a score. They also got some turnovers. They held on there when it looked like Florida was going up and down the field."

NOTES:

-- Injury Report: Reserve cornerback and special team performer Mike Newton could be sidelined for a couple of weeks after spraining his knee in Saturday night's game. Left tackle Jarriel King suffered a slight concussion and didn't play much in the second half.

-- After reviewing the tape from Saturday night's game, Spurrier said "we did have more positives than I was thinking after the game last night." Spurrier noted the USC offense had 24 first downs. Specifically, Spurrier said the offensive line played "fairly well." Spurrier attributed most of the sacks and pressure on the Gamecock quarterback from UAB's defensive end spot to poor blocking by USC's tight ends.

-- Spurrier said Chris Smelley "played better than what we gave him credit for." His third pass of the game should have been caught deep down the middle by Joe Hills, Spurrier said. Spurrier said he also made a good throw right before halftime, but the receiver never came out of his break, so it looked like an overthrow.

-- Starting tight end Jared Cook had a terrible night blocking, Spurrier said. "I don't know what he was thinking sometimes," Spurrier said. He added backup TE Weslye Saunders wasn't "real sharp" on his blocking, either. When he was asked who would start at tight end in the next game, Spurrier responded "I don't know." Larry Freeman saw action at the position, as well.

-- Spurrier said senior Bobby Wallace should get another chance to contribute at running back after rushing for 51 yards on Saturday night. However, with Davis, Maddox and Baker ahead of him, Spurrier cautioned it would be difficult preparing four RB'sfor the game. "Bobby had some nice runs last night," Spurrier said.

-- The USC coaching staff called Ole Miss DC Tyrone Nix last night and congratulated him on the victory over Florida. Spurrier said he doesn't plan to change the offensive signals for the Ole Miss game.

-- The SEC has six teams ranked in this week's Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls. In the AP poll, Alabama leads all conference teams with a No. 2 ranking behind Oklahoma, while LSU is No. 3. Meanwhile, Georgia is No. 11, Florida No. 12 and Auburn No. 13. Vanderbilt is No. 19 as it continues to be ranked for the first time since 1984.

c.gif

<!-- no ad here-->

I know y'all will analyze this game inside and out by the time next weekend rolls around but I just wanted to reiterate that the Ole Miss D-line DOMINATED the Gators O-line and controlled the LOS.

Tebow was sacked 3 or 4 times and pressured all day...made the Heisman Winna look like a very ordinary QB.

This is a HUGE disappointment for Gator Nation (our O-line was supposed to be a strength with us being 8-9 solid players deep) but the SEC East is a little weak and I wouldn't count UF or UGA out.

Gotta give PROPS to Ole Miss and Coach Nutt...going into The Swamp and physically pounding the Gators...:shake:

Will USC's O-line be able to control the LOS or at least hold their own?
If not, I see a long day for The Ball Coach...Ole Miss offense with Snead, a really solid QB, can put up points.

Mully :cheers:

I know the OM DL is good but I understand they sent the blitz on every down and played a zone coverage. USC OL is better in pass protection than run blocking which makes no sense at all to me, I was never an OL so I don't know. Regardless with the first down advantage (14) , total yard advantage (120), UF prob should of won that game but a few too many things went wrong for them.

This is not a turning point for OM. They are still the 4th best team in the SEC West. I knew they would hang tight, and I give them credit for pulling off the upset. You will absolutely get value on SC, but I'm not touching it.

This might not be a turning point for OM but the game is still very important after they dropped games to Wake and Vandy. For USC, if they want to salvage their season in any way, its a MUST win

Last edited:
Some general thoughts:

I'm really not sure how good South Carolina is. The offense just has not clicked yet and they continue to shoot themselves in the foot but this situation just screams to me "Ole Miss just beat UF, how can they lose to SC at home" and with OM-2, I would have a hard time convincing you otherwise but then again, this is probably the game SC doesn't turn the ball over at all. SC has a knack for playing to the level of their competition as well.

Again, not having Kenny McKinnley of course hurts the offense because not only is he talented, he was a leader as well and to me it feels like they are having trouble replacing that leadership on offense. The defense is good, I am confident of that, but the offense continues to put them in bad situations. I have a hard time convincing myself right now that a team with 15 turnovers through 5 games can actually win the turnover battle. This is only the 2nd game on the road for SC this year, the first was a complete melt-down versus Vandy.

For me, I only watched some of the OM-UF game, they sent a lot of pressure at Tebow and considering this would be Garcia's first start, they will prob send a lot of pressure at him. Garcia is not a sitting duck like the rest of the QB's on the roster, he will scramble some but he is still very inexperienced. The SC OL is much better at pass-blocking than run-blocking, I have no reason for that but I'd expect a lot of 4-5 wide this week because of that, it also opens up the running lanes for Garcia.

Ole Miss has showed some offense over the weeks so I really don't see a way SC wins/covers if Ole Miss scores 27+, that would just not be the type of game that favors an SC win/cover on the road and it would also be the type of game where their defense is dominated because without turnovers killing them, I have a hard time imagining Ole Miss putting up 27+.

Basically, with this spread, you are picking the winner of this game, the points are probably going to be meaningless one way or another. Still unsure where I exactly stand on this game because the spread threw me for a little loop. I guess I was looking to get +7 because it would be almost a sure bet for me but in reality thought it would be close to -3.5 or -4.

this game has SC name all over it.

gl etg.

Not trying to be HOMERISH, but PLEASE tell me what you see in SC here.

Getting 7, maybe. But +2.5?

Guys, Ole Miss is a damn good 3-2 team. We could be 5-0 at this point. And no, don't get me wrong, I'm saying saying "what if" and "could have" showing bias. From a capping perspective, I think this fact is very important. If we WERE 5-0, and had just beat Fla, would the Rebs really be laying -2.5 here? No, not even close. We'd be laying at LEAST 6.5 here. Despite the two close losses, this Ole Miss team is the same team as that 5-0 team. A last second drive to lose by a FG in one loss, and an uncharacteristic 6 turnover game where we were in it the whole game doesn't change anything. I think the Rebels showed at the Swamp that they WERE that 5-0 team and not just a semi-good 3-2 team, if that makes any sense. I would LOVE for someone to tell me how picking SC to win in Oxford for Homecoming when the team is this high is a good bet.

And don't tell me "LET DOWN", because these kids have had TWO let down games already. :shake:

Ramble..I have no interest in the game...just based on the line it screams SC...

Ramble..I have no interest in the game...just based on the line it screams SC...

Got ya. I just don't see it. Power rating wise, looks like we should be laying -3.5/-4. However, ETG and I talked about our expectations at the beginning of the season, and we thought SC might have been laying -3 here. To me, the -2 is a good compromise between those opinions. Looking at this team from today's perpective, however, I see tons of value in this line.

Not trying to be HOMERISH, but PLEASE tell me what you see in SC here.

Getting 7, maybe. But +2.5?

Guys, Ole Miss is a damn good 3-2 team. We could be 5-0 at this point. And no, don't get me wrong, I'm saying saying "what if" and "could have" showing bias. From a capping perspective, I think this fact is very important. If we WERE 5-0, and had just beat Fla, would the Rebs really be laying -2.5 here? No, not even close. We'd be laying at LEAST 6.5 here. Despite the two close losses, this Ole Miss team is the same team as that 5-0 team. A last second drive to lose by a FG in one loss, and an uncharacteristic 6 turnover game where we were in it the whole game doesn't change anything. I think the Rebels showed at the Swamp that they WERE that 5-0 team and not just a semi-good 3-2 team, if that makes any sense. I would LOVE for someone to tell me how picking SC to win in Oxford for Homecoming when the team is this high is a good bet.

And don't tell me "LET DOWN", because these kids have had TWO let down games already. :shake:

Few counter points here.

Rebels could be 5-0, just like they could be 2-3 right now.

Ole Miss had 10 first downs against UF, 205 of their 325 yards came on big plays (over 15yds), 3 of which were TD's.

Hodge = 36yd Catch
Bolden = 28yd Rush
Eason = 15yd Catch (TD)
McCluster = 40yd run (TD)
Hodge = 86yd Catch (TD)

UF let Ole Miss back in the game by gift wrapping 10 points to start the 3rd quarter on 2 consecutive fumbles. I also think SC will be much better prepared for the "wild rebel" formation than UF who seemed to not have a clue.

Snead on the year is a 52.5% passer and if you take away his 86yd pass, he had just 100yds passing with 5 min to go in the fourth quarter against UF. He has struggled as of late, last 2 games against SEC defenses: 21/45 -369yds-2td-5int. One could make an argument that the SC pass defense is better than both of those teams right now.

Ole Miss was able to get pressure on Tebow because they blitzed on nearly every down, the likely will do the same this week and the Ole Miss DL is good but the LB/DB's are not a strength of the team.

The Wake Forest loss loses a little luster in my mind because of what WF has done this year (12 point on FSU and FSU turned it over 6x) and now the loss at home to Navy. Yes it was a close game but the defense didn't come up with a stop on the final drive and allowed a last second field goal to lose the game. The defense also allowed Wake to score 30 points.

Yes in the Vandy game, Ole Miss had 6 turnovers and overall was -4 for the game, they also did not score an offensive touchdown.

Emotionally, where is this team right now. They fumbled in the closing minutes of the Vandy game on the goal line to lose the game and now they just pulled a last second upset in the swamp. So back to back weeks have been very emotional for this team, can they make it a 3rd?

SC has been able to sleep walk and lack intensity for the last 2 weeks so emotionally I think they really get up for this game.

Now, with this spread, you are basically betting the winner as I said, and SC is bringing a RS-Frosh at QB on the road in his first SEC-Game and they are still without their best WR. For SC to win the defense has to again carry the team, they have to play good special teams, and they have to limit the turnovers. I am confident in the defense and special teams, but my confidence in the offense with 15 turnovers on the year isn't that high right now.

Those are just counter points for discussion. When the line originally came out it threw me a curveball like I said but I'm starting to get a firmer grasp on this game now. I think the initial reaction most people have when they see this line is :

"Holy shit, I only have to lay -2.5 to South Carolina at home, Ole Miss just beat Florida"

Last edited:
September 29, 2008

Spurrier: Effort still Lacking
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Spurrier: Effort still lacking[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier: Effort still lacking "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier: Effort still lacking"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

It was really no surprise for him to say it. He's said it every other year he's been around.

"We had a lot of guys that did not play their best," coach Steve Spurrier said after Saturday's 26-13 win over UAB. "I told our guys, 'I don't know how some of you guys can look in the mirror sometimes after the performance you play with. I don't know how you do it.'

"The effort level and the way they play, it's sad, it really is. It really is sad."

If you're counting, that's four years and at least one spot in each where Spurrier rips the Gamecocks for playing soft.

Spurrier didn't want to single out any players and a day after, during his weekly teleconference, he slightly backed off his comments. He said then that things weren't as bad as he first thought.

It's still a pressing concern. USC (3-2), thanks to a round of severe upsets around the SEC, still has a chance to get back in the title race, although it will take some more upsets and the Gamecocks immediately righting themselves to do it.

The chance is still there, but only if more effort, more heart and more gumption enters the locker room.

"I feel like everybody was playing hard, doing everything they could to help the team come out victorious," said receiver Jason Barnes, who started and played a fine game against the Blazers and seems to have earned another start this week, against Ole Miss. "I felt like everybody worked hard. There's some things we keep getting stuck on, but we're going to work hard in practice this week. I believe that's what it is."

Spurrier has criticized the team's effort before, but this year it seems to possess more edge. Since halftime of USC's 21-15 win at North Carolina last season, there has seemed to be something missing from the team.

A 3-7 record since, only one of those losses really out of hand, contributes to that theory.

More factors in the equation:

Talent is there, but results aren't. The Gamecocks have great receivers and tight ends and four sturdy running backs, perhaps not superstars but good enough to chew up yardage and the clock in a close game. The defense is the nation's top unit this week. Special teams, with a new attitude and the virtually automatic leg of SEC Special Teams Player of the Week Ryan Succop, have been almost flawless.

But shoddy protection from the offensive line and a quarterback carousel -- although it seems as if freshman Stephen Garcia will be taking over more or less full-time as quarterback -- has hindered the Gamecocks' success.

There's still no finishing. USC seems reluctant to step on the opponent's throat when the game is winding down. Vanderbilt this year, Tennessee and Clemson last year each embarked on late scoring drives to either tie or win the game. Wofford and UAB stuck around long enough to deny USC comfortable wins where it could have gotten a lot of younger players some playing time.

Moving, but not ending. The Gamecocks, despite their struggling offense, are driving the ball and getting first downs, but they seem to freeze up in the red zone. How else could one explain being first in the SEC in first downs but sixth in red-zone scoring (the Gamecocks have scored 16 times in 19 trips, but six were Succop's field goals)?

Spurrier didn't belittle anybody in particular, which could be because he watched the film and realized the Gamecocks are doing a lot of good things -- they just aren't resulting in wins or comfortable wins. But he's also seeing the little things -- blocking, tackling, playing the assignment -- still come up short despite most of the players being in the system for at least two full seasons.

"I think it's execution," tailback Brian Maddox said. "Like I said, we've got to look at the tape Monday and go from there."

The Gamecocks have seven games remaining, time to reverse the ship and get it headed into clear water. Their conference title hopes could rebound with seven straight wins, or they may be dragged down by the losses to Vanderbilt and Georgia earlier this year.

But there's plenty more to play for even without an SEC title -- a rivalry win over Clemson, a bowl game, a high-profile bowl game, a double-digit win season.

All which can be accomplished with a little more grit, a little more toughness, a little more want-to.

"I guess we only got two touchdowns against Alabama-Birmingham," Spurrier said, the sarcasm peeling the paint off the wall. "I've been watching it quite a while around here. I haven't been able to change it, but we're going to keep trying, we're going to keep trying to change it. We got us a win, we'll get ready to go out and play Ole Miss next week."

Few counter points here.

Rebels could be 5-0, just like they could be 2-3 right now.

Ole Miss had 10 first downs against UF, 205 of their 325 yards came on big plays (over 15yds), 3 of which were TD's.

Hodge = 36yd Catch
Bolden = 28yd Rush
Eason = 15yd Catch (TD)
McCluster = 40yd run (TD)
Hodge = 86yd Catch (TD)

UF let Ole Miss back in the game by gift wrapping 10 points to start the 3rd quarter on 2 consecutive fumbles. I also think SC will be much better prepared for the "wild rebel" formation than UF who seemed to not have a clue.

Snead on the year is a 52.5% passer and if you take away his 86yd pass, he had just 100yds passing with 5 min to go in the fourth quarter against UF. He has struggled as of late, last 2 games against SEC defenses: 21/45 -369yds-2td-5int. One could make an argument that the SC pass defense is better than both of those teams right now.

Ole Miss was able to get pressure on Tebow because they blitzed on nearly every down, the likely will do the same this week and the Ole Miss DL is good but the LB/DB's are not a strength of the team.

The Wake Forest loss loses a little luster in my mind because of what WF has done this year (12 point on FSU and FSU turned it over 6x) and now the loss at home to Navy. Yes it was a close game but the defense didn't come up with a stop on the final drive and allowed a last second field goal to lose the game. The defense also allowed Wake to score 30 points.

Yes in the Vandy game, Ole Miss had 6 turnovers and overall was -4 for the game, they also did not score an offensive touchdown.

Emotionally, where is this team right now. They fumbled in the closing minutes of the Vandy game on the goal line to lose the game and now they just pulled a last second upset in the swamp. So back to back weeks have been very emotional for this team, can they make it a 3rd?

SC has been able to sleep walk and lack intensity for the last 2 weeks so emotionally I think they really get up for this game.

Now, with this spread, you are basically betting the winner as I said, and SC is bringing a RS-Frosh at QB on the road in his first SEC-Game and they are still without their best WR. For SC to win the defense has to again carry the team, they have to play good special teams, and they have to limit the turnovers. I am confident in the defense and special teams, but my confidence in the offense with 15 turnovers on the year isn't that high right now.

Those are just counter points for discussion. When the line originally came out it threw me a curveball like I said but I'm starting to get a firmer grasp on this game now. I think the initial reaction most people have when they see this line is :

"Holy shit, I only have to lay -2.5 to South Carolina at home, Ole Miss just beat Florida"

Nice post.

Hopefully I didn't come off wrong saying the Rebs could be 5-0. What I meant was that this team has the talent, imo, of a 5-0 team and not a 3-2 or 2-3 team (with Florida loss). The fact that in reality they ARE 3-2 and lost at home to Vandy makes me think that this line has value in it. Remember, lines are all about public perception, so I've been trying to see that angle in the games I'm betting.

On the emotional side of things, I'm not really sure where the team stands. I DO know that we tend to play Florida close year after year. We lost 24-30 last year, and this team is a MUCH better squad. So, in that respect, the win at the Swamp can't come as THAT much of a surprise. Coach Nutt is very inspirational and instills it in these kids' heads that they CAN win. Like I said to BlueChip, I didn't post it, but my roomate and I figured we would upset either LSU or Florida, there was no doubt in our minds. I think emotionally these kids are thinking, "We knew we could do it" and not "I can't believe we did it."

As far as the emotions from the Vandy game, I don't buy it. If they had taken that one to heart, they wouldn't have put the full effort at Florida. I think Nutt has these guys ready to play on every Saturday, and they have played extremely well except for the Vandy game.

Just some counter-counter points to your counters, LOL. Mostly rambling thoughts, but hopefully they help in some way. :shake:

September 29, 2008

Rebels in Uncharted Territory

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Rebels in uncharted territory this week[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Rebels in uncharted territory this week "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Rebels in uncharted territory this week"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Neal McCready
Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Grove

Add Houston Nutt to Ole Miss' injury list.

The Rebels' coach was sporting a cut across the bridge of his nose on Monday, two days after Ole Miss shocked No. 4 Florida at The Swamp in Gainesville, Fla.

<!--Start FloridaNutt200(3) Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696946.jpg', '696946.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt was all smiles following the Rebels\' win over Florida Saturday. Nutt and the Rebels will go for two SEC wins in a row Saturday against South Carolina.', 'Dave Childers', 1222724892000, 'FloridaNutt200(3)', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
696946.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt was all smiles following the Rebels' win over Florida Saturday. Nutt and the Rebels will go for two SEC wins in a row Saturday against South Carolina.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaNutt200(3) Image-->In the final seconds of the Rebels' 31-30 win, several Ole Miss players grabbed a bucket of Gatorade to dump over Nutt's head.

"They hadn't had too much practice because I tell you, they hit my nose," Nutt said, laughing. "I don't feel nothing and the trooper says, 'Hey, you're bleeding.' I didn't feel anything, but they've got to get better at that. I hope they get a lot of practice at it."

Nutt said the players put the entire bucket over his head and the rim came crashing down on his nose.

"It hit me in the side of the head and I've got a big gash on my nose," Nutt said. "But I didn't feel anything and hopefully, we can get better at that."

Nutt wasn't worried about his nose on Monday. Instead, the first-year Ole Miss coach was encouraged by something he noticed on Sunday. His team convened for the first time to begin preparations for Saturday's homecoming tilt against South Carolina.

"I like their attitude," Nutt said. "I noticed it in the dressing room after the game, on the bus, in the airplane. You felt it Sunday. They've always been good listeners, for the most part. But it seemed like even though they were listening and they wanted to do it, they won't do it. So we just felt like Sunday when we went to practice, it seemed like they were sitting up in their seats a little bit better. We went to work Sunday a little bit better than normal and we were sore, now. That was a beat-em-up, rock-em, sock-em game. That was a war.

"It ought to help us. It ought to take us to another level."

Nutt noticed something else on Saturday night and Sunday -- recruiting sure got easier.

"It's already helped us," Nutt said. "We got more calls Sunday night _ them calling us _ than we've had since we've been here. Monday night's a good phone call night for us after film study. I'm anxious to get on the phone tonight. It can't do anything but help. We got a lot of Florida calls this past weekend so it was good. It's going to be good. It's going to help us. You can mark that down that this past Saturday at Florida helped us in recruiting, no question."

All of that can be spoiled if the Rebels (3-2 overall, 1-1 in the Southeastern Conference) don't hold serve at home against the Gamecocks (3-2, 0-2).

"They haven't been here. You have to be very steady and go back to work. The thing about this league is all you have to do is look up at the scoreboard. Every week, anybody can beat anybody at any given time. This is a very, very tough grind and it's every week. We have to be ready to go. There's just no room to say, 'Boy, we've kind of made it.' We haven't made nothing, not a thing."

FEIN'S PLAY KEY FOR REBELS: It got overshadowed a bit by Peria Jerry, Greg Hardy, Ted Laurent, Marcus Tillman, Kendrick Lewis and Marcus Temple's stop of Tim Tebow on fourth-and-1 one play later, but Tony Fein's pursuit and tackle of Brandon James on third-and-10 from the Ole Miss 41-yard line Saturday was absolutely critical to the Rebels' win. Rest assured that it was noticed by Nutt and Co.

<!--Start FloridaFein405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/697088.jpg', '697088.jpg', 0, 300, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss linebacker Tony Fein (47) brings down Florida\'s Percy Harvin while Rebel strong safety Jamarca Sanford (13) closes in Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.', 'Dave Childers', 1222725685000, 'FloridaFein405', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=407>
697088.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss linebacker Tony Fein (47) brings down Florida's Percy Harvin while Rebel strong safety Jamarca Sanford (13) closes in Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaFein405 Image-->"It was tremendous," Nutt said. "It was probably his best effort play since I met him. We pointed it out yesterday. What an effort play to come across the field and not give up and to make that tackle. It was a huge play."

Fein, who started in front of Jonathan Cornell at middle linebacker on Saturday, is third on the Rebels' defense with 28 tackles. Only Jamarca Sanford (43) and Kendrick Lewis (39) have made more stops. Given the fact that Fein was nearly dismissed from the team in the spring, it's quite a turnaround.

"He was probably one of the first ones that _ I don't know if I'd say tested the system; that may be a little harsh _ but he was always on the line of kind of doing things his way," Nutt said. "I think he's really helped himself by saying, 'All right, I'm going to give in here, be a team member, play as hard as I can and see what happens.' I think it hurt his pride a little bit when he wasn't the starter. It hurt his feelings. …Even though he might not have liked some of the things Coach (Tyrone) Nix told him, he accepted it and he's worked through it and now he's just playing football and hustling. That's what you like. That helps us win."

OL SHAKE-UP TEMPORARY?: On Saturday, Reid Neely started in front of Maurice Miller at right guard. Miller was demoted for sleeping in on Friday and missing a team function.

"It's not a big deal, but hey, you're late," Nutt said. "Get a better alarm clock or something. It was just a bad deal. Reid came in and did a very nice job."

Miller played quite a bit at right tackle when John Jerry went out with a sprained shoulder. Jerry eventually returned and played most of the second half.

"We kind of liked the way things ended up," Nutt said. "We've got to see here. I like competition like that. We have to see how Tuesday and Wednesday plays out here."

TRAHAN MOVES AHEAD OF PALMER: Ole Miss' Patrick Trahan moved ahead of Ashlee Palmer prior to the Rebels' game at Florida and the former Auburn standout played well enough to hold onto the starting gig.

"He's really been doing a great job against the run and he's getting better in the passing game," Nutt said. "It's tough when you have to come in here straight from junior college and you have to learn a new system and new terminology. He's getting much more comfortable. He's been on special teams for us and he's been hustling. He moved ahead and right now, he'll stay there. Ashlee Palmer, (Lamar) Brumfield, all those guys, I'm glad we have that depth. Tyrone really has developed some depth there for us. We have to keep getting better. …Patrick Trahan, the last couple of weeks, he has a feel for reading the play and being physical at the point of attack."

<!--Start SouthCarolinaDavis405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696580.jpg', '696580.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'South Carolina running back Mike Davis has Ole Miss\' full attention this week. Davis is 10th in the SEC and No. 91 nationally with 63.5 yards rushing per game.', 'Brett Flashnick', 1222725851000, 'SouthCarolinaDavis405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
696580.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Brett Flashnick</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>South Carolina running back Mike Davis has Ole Miss' full attention this week. Davis is 10th in the SEC and No. 91 nationally with 63.5 yards rushing per game.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaDavis405 Image-->REBEL RUMBLINGS: Nutt said Jerry is expected back this week. …Temple had a boot on his sprained foot, but he said he expects to be ready for South Carolina as well.

NUTT WARY OF GAMECOCKS: South Carolina is ranked No. 1 in the country in total defense, allowing just 221.4 yards per game. Ole Miss, by comparison is ninth in the SEC and No. 47 nationally, allowing 328.8 yards per game.

"They're a very talented team that doesn't give up very many big plays," Nutt said. "When you watch the Georgia game and the Vanderbilt game, you just don't see teams going up and down the field. They're very sound, very disciplined. Casper Brinkley, Captain Munnerlyn, all of those guys are experienced. They've got a good tailback and with Coach (Steve) Spurrier, you know they're going to have a good passing game and you know there are going to be tricks, so you've got to get ready to go."

September 30, 2008

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Neal McCready
Senior Writer

Houston Nutt had his radar up on Tuesday, looking for any signs that his players were still basking in the afterglow of Ole Miss' headline-grabbing win at No. 4 Florida and not properly focused at the task at hand.

<!--Start FloridaNutt405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696944.jpg', '696944.jpg', 0, 225, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said Tuesday that he doesn\'t want to see any signs of complacency seeping into his team after a the Rebels snapped an eight-game SEC losing streak with a win over Florida.', 'Dave Childers', 1222821016000, 'FloridaNutt405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
696944.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said Tuesday that he doesn't want to see any signs of complacency seeping into his team after a the Rebels snapped an eight-game SEC losing streak with a win over Florida.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaNutt405 Image-->"My antennas are up," Nutt said. "It's got to be the most important thing that we do, go back to work and it's got to be just like we did last week. Guys came out and went to work after feeling real sick to their stomach. There was a purpose of trying to get better. For the most part, (Tuesday) was all right. We'll see tomorrow when we come back and get much better."

Nutt said there were no overt signs of complacency Tuesday, the Rebels' first full day of preparation for Saturday's Southeastern Conference clash with South Carolina at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Ole Miss (3-2 overall, 1-1 in the SEC) and the Gamecocks (3-2, 0-2) are scheduled to kickoff at 1 p.m.

"All I can really go on is did they go to study hall when they're supposed to," Nutt said. "Did they go to the weight room? Did they come out here and give great effort."

Nutt can take comfort in the fact that some of his seniors have their complacency radars up as well.

"It was over when we got on the plane," Ole Miss defensive tackle Peria Jerry said. "It was a great win and everybody was happy, but it's gone now. We're looking forward. We have to stay focused. We can beat anybody, but we have to stay focused and get prepared for the upcoming game. I feel like a lot of guys are coming along pretty quick and it seems like it's not really a big deal to anybody. Everybody wants to just keep winning and keep this thing rolling. We're not where we can be. We didn't play our best ball there."

Nutt did admit that he is pleased with how physical his team has become. It was obvious in Gainesville that Ole Miss was taking the game to Florida and not the other way around. Reports out of Florida's camp this week have the Gators nursing a myriad of injuries while Ole Miss came out of another SEC weekend remarkably healthy.

"We teach them that if you play extremely hard at the highest intensity level _ and it's hard to get at that level sometimes but especially in the last 30 minutes, we were up there _ and play with a bend in your knee, chances are you're most likely not going to get hurt," Nutt said. "You can always use your head wrong or something like that, but you try to keep emphasizing to see what you hit and we've been fortunate the last couple of weeks."

NIX PREPARES TO FACE FORMER TEAM: Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix will recognize plenty of faces this weekend when South Carolina comes to town. Nix was on the Gamecocks' coaching staff for the past three seasons, serving as defensive coordinator and either defensive line coach or inside linebackers coach during his tenure on Steve Spurrier's staff.

<!--Start Nix200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/694941.jpg', '694941.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix spent the previous three seasons with Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. ', 'Dave Childers', 1222821107000, 'Nix200', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=202>
694941.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix spent the previous three seasons with Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Nix200 Image-->"I'm not playing them," Nix said. "All I do is coach these guys here and try to get them ready as best as possible. As far as the personal relationships, it's no different than probably competing against your brother in basketball or any other sport. You shake hands after it's over and tell each other how you're feeling and then you move forward to the next opponent."

"It's hard," Nutt said. "It's going to be a lot like when we play that other team. It's going to be hard. It's there. You spent part of your life there, so you can't help it. You know the kids. You know the players. You know the coaches. You know all of them. We just have a task, a job to do, and you try to focus on that."

There was speculation late last season that Spurrier, who eventually hired former Alabama and Mississippi State assistant Ellis Johnson as the Gamecocks' defensive coordinator, was not planning to retain Nix in Columbia.

"You have to ask Spurrier that," Nix said.

HARDY'S VALUE BECOMING MORE OBVIOUS: Nutt knew Greg Hardy would be a difference-maker once he returned from surgery on his broken foot. He had no idea, however, that the impact Hardy would make would be so dramatic.

<!--Start FloridaHardy405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696653.jpg', '696653.jpg', 0, 220, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy had his hands on Florida quarterback Tim Tebow all day Saturday in Gainesville.', 'Dave Childers', 1222815503000, 'FloridaHardy405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
696653.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy had his hands on Florida quarterback Tim Tebow all day Saturday in Gainesville.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaHardy405 Image-->"Just the little bit that we knew going against him in the spring, we knew that you needed four hands on him at all times," Nutt said. "He is a tremendous athlete that has a real knack of getting to the passer, disrupting plays, loss yardage plays. He's an athlete. We knew that just going against him. What is difficult is that he hasn't been with us. He missed all of camp. He missed the first three games, so that is what you don't know because fundamentally you are all off. He's coming back a little quicker than I expected because he's a tremendous athlete, but I'm glad he's healthy and he's with us now."

Hardy, meanwhile, has been modest about his return, though he already boasts 2 ½ sacks in less than 50 snaps.

"It's a miracle," Hardy said. "(Ole Miss head trainer) Tim (Mullins) and his staff worked with me and got me back as fast as they could and it turned out to be quicker than I was expecting."

That was bad news for Florida's Tim Tebow, and the Gators' offensive line, on Saturday. Led in large part by Hardy off the edge, the Gators' front was visibly frustrated.

"I just tried to stay focused on Tebow," Hardy said, refusing to embellish his performance. "I was just trying to play my moves. You can always tell when someone is frustrated and you get in their head and you're making plays. You can tell when their whole team is down and their morale is down. For awhile, Peria was coming in. Kentrell Lockett was in the backfield. Chris Bowers was in the backfield. I was in the backfield. They were getting tight and worn down and bogged down and frustrated with us."

LEWIS GETTING PHYSICAL: The knock on Ole Miss free safety Kendrick Lewis going into the season was he wasn't physical enough to excel in the SEC. Through five games, however, Lewis has 39 tackles, second only to strong safety Jamarca Sanford on the Ole Miss team.

<!--Start VandyLewis200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/693104.jpg', '693104.jpg', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Ole Miss free safety Kendrick Lewis, shown here closing in on a Vanderbilt runner earlier this season, is second on the Rebels\' defense in tackles.', 'Dave Childers', 1222815641000, 'VandyLewis200', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=202>
693104.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss free safety Kendrick Lewis, shown here closing in on a Vanderbilt runner earlier this season, is second on the Rebels' defense in tackles.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End VandyLewis200 Image-->"That's a part of my game that I worked on real hard after my sophomore year," Lewis said. "That was my weakness, but I worked on it and I got better at it. I'm still trying to get better at it to perfect it. I'm just trying to be more physical and take a whole different approach of being aggressive when tackling and using perfect form."

Lewis was still kicking himself a little for a second-quarter mistake that resulted in seven Florida points. Had Lewis finished the play the way he wanted to, it would have been an interception returned for a touchdown for Ole Miss. Instead, Tebow's pass went through his hands and to Percy Harvin, who out-raced cornerback Cassius Vaughn for a touchdown.

"I had it," Lewis said. "It's just that I took my eyes off of it and looked downfield. I had it in my hands. I had the perfect break."

SNEAD RELIEVED TO FINALLY HIT BIG PLAY: There have been close calls all season, but Jevan Snead couldn't finish the deal. He overthrew Mike Wallace against Memphis, overthrew him against Samford, and missed Shay Hodge on a deep ball or two as well.

On Saturday at Florida, however, Snead and Hodge hooked up for an 86-yard fourth-quarter touchdown to give Ole Miss a lead it never relinquished.

<!--Start FloridaSneadPass405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695650.jpg', '695650.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead didn\'t have gaudy statistics against Florida, but the Texas transfer was nearly perfect in his decision-making.', 'John Rauox', 1222815736000, 'FloridaSneadPass405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
695650.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead didn't have gaudy statistics against Florida, but the Texas transfer was nearly perfect in his decision-making.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaSneadPass405 Image-->"It feels good," Snead said. "We haven't hit a big one like that. Just to finally connect on one like that, it was a great feeling.

"Shay's been great. I don't think people understand or realize how fast he is. I watched him on film and there wasn't anybody catching him on that touchdown that he scored. He's just a great guy. I have all the faith in the world that if I throw it anywhere near him, he's going to come down with it."

REBS' UPSET GETS NATIONAL EXPOSURE: Saturday's historic upset of No. 4 Florida in The Swamp has earned Ole Miss the honor of starring on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The issue hit newsstands Tuesday.

The magazine's headline reads "Rebels Rise" and the cutline of the cover photo is "Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy clobbers QB Tim Tebow of the Gators, No. 4 no more."

This marks the third time Ole Miss has been featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The Sept. 24, 1962, college football preview showcased the Rebelettes, while Archie Manning presented as the "Idol of Ole Miss" donned the Sept. 14, 1970, edition. The Manning 1970 cover was also a part of the Sept. 26, 1996, issue along with son, Peyton, who starred at Tennessee before going on to the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.

In addition, several former Rebels have appeared on the front of Sports Illustrated as professional athletes, including New York Giants quarterback Charlie Conerly on Dec. 3, 1956, PGA golfer Cary Middlecoff on June 10, 1957, and Giants quarterback Eli Manning on Jan. 28, 2008, and again on Feb. 8, 2008.

McKINLEY WORKS OUT WITH GAMECOCKS: South Carolina wide receiver Kenny McKinley was wearing a garnet practice jersey Tuesday for the first time since hurting his hamstring against Vanderbilt on Sept. 4.

<!--Start SouthCarolinaMcKinley250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696581.jpg', '696581.jpg', 1, 300, 250, 1, 'South Carolina wide receiver Kenny McKinley, out since injuring a hamstring at Vanderbilt earlier this month, returned to practice in a limited capacity Tuesday. He\'s doubtful for Saturday\'s game at Ole Miss.', 'Mark Humphrey', 1222815838000, 'SouthCarolinaMcKinley250', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=252>
696581.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Mark Humphrey</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>South Carolina wide receiver Kenny McKinley, out since injuring a hamstring at Vanderbilt earlier this month, returned to practice in a limited capacity Tuesday. He's doubtful for Saturday's game at Ole Miss.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaMcKinley250 Image-->McKinley's status is still in doubt for Saturday's game at Ole Miss, and his father told The (Columbia, S.C.) State Monday he hoped to return next week against Kentucky. But McKinley was able to jog across the field at Monday's practice, also a first since straining his hamstring, and wearing garnet instead of a yellow jersey on Tuesday was a sign he will participate in some drills.

In other South Carolina-related developments this week, cornerback Captain Munnerlyn has started all five games this season, but that streak could be in jeopardy. After Munnerlyn missed a couple of classes and weightlifting sessions, Spurrier said he might try to get Munnerlyn's attention by keeping him on the bench for the start of Saturday's game. Sophomore Addison Williams is listed as a co-starter with Munnerlyn, who has 20 career starts. …Bobby Wallace has moved up to second on the depth chart behind Mike Davis, who returns after missing last week's win over UAB. Sophomore Brian Maddox did little against UAB to distinguish himself, according to Spurrier. …After saying initially quarterback Stephen Garcia likely would start at Ole Miss — including in a story on his Web site, spurrierhbc.com — Spurrier backed off Monday.

"Stephen Garcia really struggled after about the first drive or two (against UAB)," Spurrier told The State. "He got to where he was just running out of (the pocket) all the time last week. I don't know if he's quite ready to play."

Garcia rushed for a game-high 86 yards on 18 carries, more than half of which were scrambles. Spurrier said Chris Smelley, who has started 10 games in his career was "unlucky" on several of his throws against the Blazers. Spurrier will announce a starter for the Ole Miss game Thursday.

QUOTEWORTHY: "When your team's the homecoming game, they don't respect you very well. I don't care what you say, those people when they circle those games for homecoming, they're circling wins. ... I'll make sure to pass that along. They made us homecoming queen."
— South Carolina special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski, referencing the fact that the Gamecocks are Ole Miss' homecoming opponent, in an interview with The State.

REBEL RUMBLINGS: Offensive tackle John Jerry was back on the practice field Tuesday. Jerry suffered a mild shoulder injury during the first half of the Florida game. …Defensive back Marcus Temple still had a boot on his injured foot Tuesday. Temple did not practice. Ole Miss cornerbacks coach Chris Vaughn said the Rebels were being cautious with Temple and expected him back for South Carolina. Nutt, on the other hand, didn't sound quite as sure. …Jonathan Cornell was working ahead of Tony Fein at middle linebacker Tuesday, though it appears the two players are basically splitting practice reps. …Maurice Miller was once again working at No. 2 right offensive guard behind Reid Neely on Tuesday. Neely started at Florida when Miller was disciplined for oversleeping and missing a Friday team session. …Ole Miss' Nov. 15 home date against Louisiana-Monroe is set for a 1 p.m. kickoff.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Kenny McKinley note...</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>Kenny McKinley is at practice and in full pads. It's the first time McKinley has been in full pads since he injured his hamstring during the Vanderbilt game.

There is no media availability following practice on Tuesdays, so I doubt we'll have another update.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('

<hr align="left" noshade size="1" color="#000000" width="90%">Brian Shoemaker (Shoe)
GamecockCentral.com Founder/Publisher
Click here to contact me');} </SCRIPT>

September 30, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Notebook: A Few Depth Chart Surprises
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Notebook: A Few Depth Chart Surprises "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Notebook: A Few Depth Chart Surprises"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Notebook%3A+A+Few+Depth+Chart+Surprises+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF allowscriptaccess=always TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Related Links:
Quarterback battle ongoing
Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

When your head coach is Steve Spurrier, you should always expect the unexpected.

This week's depth chart heading into Saturday afternoon's SEC clash with Ole Miss in Oxford exemplifies that philosophy. Just when you think a player is safely a starter, he's not, and just when you think a player will never surface again, he does.

Senior running back Bobby Wallace, nearly forgotten as he battled academic and other issues, has resurfaced this week as the No. 2 running back behind Mike Davis, who was suspended for last week's 26-13 victory over Alabama-Birmingham after missing too many classes last fall.

Davis leads USC with 267 yards on 54 carries, an average of 4.7 yards per carry, and enters the Ole Miss game with 1,912 career rushing yards. Wallace had his first carries since the 2006 season last Saturday when he rushed six times for 51 yards.

"I think Bobby has earned the chance to play more, definitely," Spurrier said. "We need to get him out there a little bit more. Bobby made some guys miss. Bobby broke some tackles, came out of the wad. When guys do that, you have to give them the ball."

With Wallace back in the running back picture for the first time in two years, the Gamecocks now have four running backs they could call upon. Is that too many? Spurrier thinks so.

"You can't coach them all," Spurrier said. "Mike Davis is back now. Eric Baker is still just a young guy. But it appears Mike Davis will be back starting right now."

With Baker, a freshman, occupying the No. 3 running back spot, sophomore Brian Maddox finds himself on the outside looking in this week. Baker carried eight times for 26 yards against UAB, while Maddox had 14 yards on 10 carries.

"(Maddox) struggled a little bit the other night," Spurrier said. "All you can do is give them the ball and watch them run. He wasn't terrible. But he didn't have any great runs to get you excited. Eric Baker made a nice little run, made a guy miss here and there."

As Wallace fights his way to the top of the depth chart, cornerback Captain Munnerlyn finds himself battling sophomore Addison Williams for playing time due to missing some classes and weight-lifting sessions. Both players are listed as co-starters at cornerback.

"He may not start this week," Spurrier said when asked about Munnerlyn's status. "He's had a little trouble going to weightlifting all the time, missing a class or two, things like that. So we'll try and get his attention, hopefully, and not start him. He'll still play a whole bunch."

The reason given by Munnerlyn, who has 19 starts over the last three seasons, for his tardiness is one Spurrier said he's heard often from USC players.

"He overslept. A great excuse, I overslept, that's all a kid can worry about," Spurrier said. "He knows he should've been there. He doesn't have any excuses. He overslept, that was his excuse. We get that one a lot. But they do their running and as long as it doesn't continue. . .All of us may oversleep once a year on something, not oversleep, but something could come up where we're late to a meeting or so forth. Just don't make a habit of it. But he's not a problem guy. We're trying to get his attention. Captain's doing fine. He almost ran a punt back (last Saturday)."

Although redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia is listed as the No. 1 quarterback, Spurrier reiterated the decision on who will start at quarterback against the Rebels would not be announced until Thursday. Either Garcia or Chris Smelley will get the call.

Larry Freeman has been playing tight end for only a couple of weeks, but he's already passed Weslye Saunders on the depth chart. Saunders is struggling with his blocking technique and has just four receptions in five games despite possessing considerable physical skills.

"Weslye's a pass-receiving tight end. He's not a great blocker, so it's hard to put him out there a lot," Spurrier said. "We've got other guys that are pretty good pass receivers too, Jared Cook, Larry Freeman and so forth. When Weslye learns to block and takes pride in blocking, he can be a pretty good player."

Sophomore Clifton Geathers filled in for the suspended Jordin Lindsey last Saturday at the defensive end position opposite Cliff Matthews and did well enough (five tackles) that both players are now listed as co-starters.

WHO IS USC'S 'GO TO' RECEIVER?: With Kenny McKinley still out with a lingering strained right hamstring, who will be USC's go-to receiver? Right now, no one has stepped up, though Spurrier is encouraged by the progress made by redshirt freshman Jason Barnes in recent weeks. Barnes had three receptions for a team-high 46 yards in the win over UAB.

"Every offense has a go-to receiver. Who's our go-to receiver? I don't know right now," Spurrier said. "Maybe Jason Barnes can do that, who knows. It's taken him a while. People ask why he hasn't been playing all year. Well, our players, they haven't practiced all that well all year. All of sudden, Jason practiced well last week and started working his feet. He ran good routes the other day and caught everything."

This week's depth chart lists Barnes, Dion LeCorn and Joe Hills as the three starters at wide receiver, with Moe Brown, Matt Clements and Freddie Brown as the backups.

"We're trying some new guys," Spurrier said. "That's all we can really do, so that's what we're doing. We need a couple of playmakers and to coach better to have a good chance."

One player not listed on the depth chart but who could see action this weekend is junior Chris Hail, who has shifted between wide receiver and defensive back throughout his career.

"Who knows what Chris Hail's going to look like? On kickoff coverage, he's the first guy down there all the time," Spurrier said. "He's had a little screwball attitude ever since he's been here. But can he grow up, straighten out and want to be a player? I don't know. So we're trying him. He can run fast and he's tough. Will he run in the right directions. We've got to find out."

Spurrier mentioned McKinley has a slight chance of playing this week as he just started jogging during practice within the last few days. However, a few hours later, McKinley was seen wearing full pads at Tuesday afternoon's practice, a sign that he could possibly be available for Saturday's game.

"I don't know if he'll be ready to play or not," Spurrier said. "He actually jogged across the field last night. First time he's done that since the Vandy game. So, we'll wait and see on him."

Spurrier had raised the possibility of McKinley applying for a medical redshirt if he's not able to return by the Oct. 11 game at Kentucky, but now it appears McKinley should return by then, at the latest.

GOING NUTTY IN OXFORD: Steve Spurrier agreed with the assessment that Houston Nutt of Ole Miss may be one of the most underappreciated coaches in the SEC. He certainly admires the way Nutt, who is 114-72 in 16 seasons as a head coach, managed to escape a bad situation at Arkansas and land squarely on his feet at Ole Miss.

"Houston is an excellent motivator. His players really play hard for him," Spurrier said. "Obviously, he pulled off one of the best deals in the history of coaching in the last year when he left Arkansas and got the Ole Miss job. He ought to be complimented on that. Houston has, obviously, done a very good job getting those people excited about football. So, it will be a full house and their crowd will be really be alive."

Ole Miss recorded possibly its biggest win since the 2004 Cotton Bowl when they invaded Gainesville last Saturday and left town with an exciting 31-30 victory.

"We all know they had that big win last week and they've got a lot of momentum going right now," Spurrier said. "We have the same record they do. In a way, we've had similar seasons. They've lost two close games to Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. They've lost two they've had a chance to win. We had our chances in a couple we didn't pull through. It's two teams that are pretty evenly matched."

Spurrier also admires the way Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead is able to throw the ball downfield. The winning touchdown against Florida came on an 86-yard connection with about 5-1/2 minutes left.

"Jevan Snead has played well a lot this year," Spurrier said. "They've hit some big passes. They've done some things we haven't done. We're still struggling trying to hit a big pass."

WE'RE NUMBER ONE: Just like Monday night, Spurrier was all smiles talking about USC's No. 1 national ranking in total defense after limiting UAB to 207 total yards.

"I'm really proud our defense is No. 1 in the nation. That's pretty neat," Spurrier said. "Ellis Johnson and our coaches and players have done a super job. They have done an excellent job thus far. We'll be tested again this week. I know our players are looking forward to playing against a team that throws and run."

With the defense playing exceptionally well, Spurrier is looking for the offense to reach that same level. How long will it take? Spurrier hopes not long.

"Our defense is very healthy and should be rearing to go," Spurrier said. "I used to say that if we could get a defense around here just in the top half of the SEC. Now that we're got one on top, we're struggling a little bit offensively. So, we need to get the offense up to speed and we certainly have a chance to have a very good team around here."

The question on Spurrier's mind is whether the defense can maintain the current pace with a stretch of six consecutive SEC games on the horizon.

"Our defense is solid. We've got good players, they're well coached, they like to play," Spurrier said. "We have to keep it up, though. We know we're starting to play bigger teams, better teams and both offensively and defensively, the personnel is going to be better than the last few weeks.

Ever since he became the head coach at Florida in 1990, most of Spurrier's teams in Gainesville have typically featured a superior offense and a manageable defense. So, it's a strange feeling for Spurrier to be involved with a team where the defense dominates to this degree.

"I was trying to think when our defense has been this much better than the offense," Spurrier said. "Maybe with the Redskins, maybe the first year (1990 at Florida) the defense was ranked a whole bunch better. But in college, I don't think it ever has. Well, I know it hasn't. So, it's a little new. You feel a little frustrated as an offensive coach. We're not holding up our end of the deal here. This is a team sport, offense, defense, special teams. C'mon on, lets hold up our end of this."

Spurrier stopped short, though, of saying the current edition is the best defense he's ever had, insisting he would wait until the end of the season before passing final judgment.

"We've only played five games, so let's wait until wee get on through," Spurrier said. "It could be one of the best. But we've got the meat of the schedule coming up."

REUNION WITH TYRONE NIX: USC's reunion with former defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix has, not surprisingly, become one of the top stories this week heading into Saturday's game. Nix departed USC in December to accept the same position with the Rebels. Spurrier emphasized Tuesday there were no ill feelings when Nix left.

"We parted on very friendly terms," Spurrier said. "It's worked out super for Ty and, obviously, it's worked out super for us. Just like anything, if it's not working very well, make changes. That's part of it. Ty was never let go. In fact, it happened when we were just discussing that we needed to do some things differently. I didn't know what to do yet. Then, Houston called during that period, so it worked out really super for Tyrone. It really did. He's a good coach, no question about it. He went to Southern Miss, so he's back in sort of his home state."

Spurrier shrugged off the suggestion that Ole Miss could enjoy an advantage on Saturday because Nix is familiar with USC's offensive system and the hand signals used by coaches to send the plays in.

"I don't think there's really a lot into all that," Spurrier said. "It will be loud. We're not an audible team that much anyway, yet. Hopefully, someday, we can do some hand signals and get the better plays. But it will be loud out there. I think they'll run their defense and whatever they feel like is the best against us. And we'll try to get the best plays on against them."

USC defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson was hired by Spurrier after Brian Van Gorder departed after about three weeks on the job to return to the Atlanta Falcons.

"We all feel very fortunate Ellis is here," Spurrier said. "Our defensive guys are playing very well, of course. They're well coached. They're doing a super job."

MISCELLANEOUS: A victory Saturday would snap USC's five-game losing streak to Ole Miss. The last win by the Gamecocks in the series came Oct. 20, 1979. . .Ole Miss leads the all-time series, 8-5. . .Saturday's game marks the first time the two teams have met on the gridiron since 2004. . .USC last won in Oxford in 1974. . .USC carries a six-game conference losing streak into the contest. The last conference win came Oct. 4, 2007, against Kentucky. . .The next win by USC would allow Spurrier to tie Warren Giese (1956-59) for the most wins by a Gamecocks head coach in his first four seasons with USC. . .Spurrier said special teams coach Ray Rychleski sets about 10 or 11 goals each week and that the special teams units met all of them against UAB. . .Spurrier said Tuesday that USC's goal right now is to win at least seven games and "get to a good bowl game or more". . .Despite the struggles of the offense against less talented teams the last two weeks, Spurrier noted USC has punted just twice in the last two games. . .Spurrier explained the offense is "inching along" whenasked about the fact USC is first in the SEC in first downs and eight in scoring. . .USC's 12 opponents in 2008 went a combined 5-7 last weekend. . .Spurrier noted that the breakdowns in pass protection during the UAB game were caused mostly by the tight ends. . .Spurrier said former QB Blake Mitchell was in Columbia last week for a job interview and stopped by the football offices to say hello.

October 1, 2008

5 Questions: South Carolina
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

RebelSports.net Staff Report

Earlier this week, RebelSports.net senior writer Neal McCready submitted five questions to GamecockCentral.com's Scott Hood about the Gamecocks in advance of Saturday afternoon's Southeastern Conference showdown between Ole Miss (3-2 overall, 1-1 in the SEC) and South Carolina (3-2, 0-2) at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

McCready will return the favor by answering questions on the GamecockCentral.com message boards Thursday morning.

RebelSports.net: Here's the obvious first question. What's going on at quarterback for the Gamecocks? Why Garcia now?

GamecockCentral.com: The genesis of the quarterback quandary that USC finds itself in came in 2006 when Syvelle Newton directed the USC offense for seven games instead of Blake Mitchell. Those seven games represent the high water mark for the USC offense in Spurrier's tenure. As a result, Spurrier recognized the need for a mobile quarterback. He signed Garcia in 2007. Unfortunately, off-the-field issues have hindered Garcia's progress. In the meantime, the quarterbacks Spurrier was counting on have been largely ineffective. The offensive line has struggled, as well. Garcia is playing because he's able to escape trouble a lot better, and he has a better throwing arm.

<!--Start SouthCarolinaGarcia405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696601.jpg', '696601.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia could be in line to start at Ole Miss on Saturday after a strong performance this past Saturday against UAB.', 'Brett Flashnick', 1222876496000, 'SouthCarolinaGarcia405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
696601.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia could be in line to start at Ole Miss on Saturday after a strong performance this past Saturday against UAB.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaGarcia405 Image-->RebelSports.net: Are you surprised South Carolina has struggled to get consistent production out of its offense? What, in your opinion, has gone wrong?

GamecockCentral.com: The South Carolina offense has been a paradox in 2008. USC leads the SEC in first downs (22.4 per game), but is eighth in scoring offense and total offense. There have been three persistent problems: turnovers, inconsistent quarterback play and an inadequate offensive line. USC is tied with Mississippi State for the worst turnover differential in the SEC (minus-7). USC has committed 15 turnovers, by far the most in the league. Moreover, USC's quarterbacks have been too inconsistent. One drive, they look great. The next, they look awful. Tied at the hip is poor offensive line play. USC has allowed 17 sacks, which is tied with Arkansas for the most in the league.

RebelSports.net: From the outside looking in, Steve Spurrier seems more frustrated than usual and maybe even a bit resigned. Do you get a sense for where he feels his program is right now?

<!--Start SouthCarolinaSpurrier200 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696588.jpg', '696588.jpg', 1, 267, 200, 1, 'South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has seen his team\'s defense dominate while his offense _ normally his strong suit _ has struggled with inconsistency.', 'Mary Ann Chastain', 1222876591000, 'SouthCarolinaSpurrier200', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=202>
696588.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Mary Ann Chastain</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier has seen his team's defense dominate while his offense _ normally his strong suit _ has struggled with inconsistency.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaSpurrier200 Image-->GamecockCentral.com: I dispute the characterization of Spurrier as frustrated and resigned. Well, he might be a little frustrated, but certainly not resigned. Does he wish the offense was as productive as the Gamecock defense? Yes. The struggles of the USC offense have only made him more determined to turn things around in Columbia. He recognizes he's still building something here. I think Stephen Garcia's unique abilities have Spurrier excited about the future. Right now, I would say he's a little bit frustrated because the USC defense has been spectacular, yet the Gamecocks are only 3-2.

RebelSports.net: What happened with Tyrone Nix at South Carolina? Are there advantages for either side given the fact that Nix knows Carolina's personnel but the Gamecocks know what to expect from him as a defensive play-caller?

GamecockCentral.com: I believe Spurrier lost confidence in Nix after the USC defense was ripped to shreds by Arkansas and Florida last season. It became apparent that some players weren't giving full effort. If you believe the word on the street, Nic was offered the opportunity to return to USC, but not as the defensive coordinator. Around that time, Houston Nutt called and offered the DC job to Nutt. Spurrier, I can assure you, didn't try to talk him out of leaving. I don't believe either side has an advantage. As Spurrier said this week, the players still have to make plays. Spurrier is not going to change anything regarding his offense. This is not the first time he's had a former assistant on the opposing sidelines, so he knows the drill.

<!--Start SouthCarolinaBrown405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696576.jpg', '696576.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'Saturday\'s game at Ole Miss is a huge one for Moe Brown (9) and the Gamecocks.', 'Mary Ann Chastain', 1222876705000, 'SouthCarolinaBrown405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
696576.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: Mary Ann Chastain</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Saturday's game at Ole Miss is a huge one for Moe Brown (9) and the Gamecocks.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaBrown405 Image-->RebelSports.net: This is a huge game for Ole Miss. However, it's every bit as big on paper for the Gamecocks. Is there a feeling around Columbia and the USC program that a win over the Rebels is a necessity for this season to end well?

GamecockCentral.com: This is a huge game for both teams. The losses to Vanderbilt and Georgia make this a must-win game for the Gamecocks. They don't want to drop to 0-3 in the SEC. Further, the losses by Georgia, Florida and Tennessee last week mean USC is still involved in the division race. They could still win it with two losses, but three will make virtually impossible. In fact, I submit this week's game at Ole Miss and next week's game at Kentucky are both must-wins for the Gamecocks. With games still remaining against LSU, Tennessee, Florida and Clemson, USC's bowl prospects could be on the line the next two weeks.

October 1, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Top-Ranked Defense Ready For Wild Rebels
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Top-Ranked Defense Ready For Wild Rebels "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Top-Ranked Defense Ready For Wild Rebels"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>Defense Ready for Wild Rebel</NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

The last time South Carolina saw first-year Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt, his Arkansas team was utilizing the Wild Hog formation to, well, run hog wild over the Gamecocks to the tune of 542 rushing yards.

This year, Ole Miss employs the same type of offense in certain situations. Only this time, it's called the 'Wild Rebel.' They scored a touchdown in last week's upset over Florida off the formation.

As far as the leaders of USC's top-ranked defense are concerned, that's where the comparisons between the Rebels and Razorbacks end.

With a No. 1 national ranking in total defense serving as the backdrop, there's no question the Gamecocks are hoping for a performance on Saturday afternoon at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford (2 p.m. ET, PPV) that's infinitely better than the last time they faced Nutt.

"We saw a lot of running around, a lot of speed, the old wild hog, only they call it the wild rebel," strong safety Emanuel Cook said after watching film of the Ole Miss-Florida game. "They're trying to do the same thing Arkansas did with McFadden, but I think it ill be a different game this year."

Is having the top defense in the country really that important? Steve Spurrier seems to think so, based on his statements the last couple of days. But, the players contend it means nothing unless USC beats the Rebels and snaps a six-game conference losing streak.

"It's fine for right now, but it's just a number," outside linebacker Eric Norwood said. "We're not cocky about it. We just go out and do what we have to do each game."

Jasper Brinkley echoed those feelings.

"I really don't think it (matters this early in the season) because it doesn't really matter how you start, it's how you finish," Brinkley said. "We know we have a big target on us now. Week in and week out, every team we play is going to try to expose us and try to get a lot of yards. We need to keep that in the back of our minds and keep telling each other to stay disciplined.

"We need to keep doing the things we do on the field on Saturdays and that's swarming to the ball."

The decision of Tyrone Nix to leave his post as USC defensive coordinator last December in order to accept a similar position on Nutt's staff in his first year at Ole Miss means USC's veteran defensive players have had to respond to numerous questions this week about reuniting with their former mentor.

One of the most deeply affected by Nix's decision to leave was middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who described his relationship with Nix as like a father and son. But he knows the Gamecocks will be on a business trip to Oxford.

"I think it will be a tough game and both defenses will try to bust the offense in the mouth," Brinkley said. "It will be physical and the one that wants it the most will win."

Other defenders are eagerly looking forward to watching the USC offense knock heads with the quick Ole Miss defense that stopped the Gators in key situations and forced several fumbles that led to points for the Rebels last week.

"It's real exciting and I want to see what (Nix) has up his sleeve, as well " Cook said. "I know Coach Spurrier will have a good scheme going and it' going to be a battle."

Are there differences in the schemes between Nix and current defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson? While some have minimized those distinctions in the past, Brinkley contends there are variations.

"(Nix's) scheme was more geared for the linebackers," Brinkley said. "I think Coach Johnson's scheme is more geared for the safeties. But it's still a great scheme. Look where it has us now. I'm very comfortable with it right now."

Brinkley has 16 tackles and one sack in five games this season since returning from knee surgery that halted his 2007 campaign after four games. He was credited with one tackle in last weekend's win over UAB. Brinkley, though, says he should have had more.

"I watched the film. I had way more than that," Brinkley said. "But I'm not going to argue with the stats, though."

Many of USC's players have said they'll be glad to see Nix again. But they realize a series of poor performances last season hastened his exit from Columbia.

"We could have played like this last year, I guess," Eric Norwood said. "We're just preparing and executing better this year."

Cook senses a greater willingness on the part of many defensive players to come out and play more aggressively this season. Through five games, the Gamecocks are allowing 116.4 yards per game on the ground, 93 yards less than last season when they were at the bottom of the league in rushing defense, and the only team to allow opposing ball carriers more than 200 yards per game.

"Just the attitude of everybody," Cook said when asked what had changed the most from last season. "Everybody wants to hit, we even have young players like Auguste that want to hit, lots of players. Coach simplified the defense so even the young players know what they're doing."

Of course, the Gamecock defenders understand they won't be squaring off with Nix on Saturday. Instead, they're focused on preparing for Ole Miss offensive coordinator Kent Austin and the Rebels' talented quarterback Jevan Snead, who has the second most passing yards in the SEC.

"He's a great quarterback and fundamentally sound," Brinkley said. "We just have to go out and do our jobs, bring a lot of pressure to him, stay in our zones and follow our assignments like we've been coached. I saw him make a couple of plays on Florida because several guys were peeking in the backfield and not following their assignments."

Ole Miss also has a deep backfield led by halfback Dexter McCluster, who spearheads the Wild Rebel offense. He had a 40-yard TD scamper late in the thrd quarter of last week's victory at Florida.

"They do everything well. They run the wild hog and they have several good skill players," Norwood said. "They have real good running backs, wide receivers and quarterback is pretty good. They're legit. We respect them, but we don't fear them."

Cook said the USC defense must settle down quickly and play with the same aggressive, disciplined style that's marked the first five games of the season.

"We're just going to come out and play our game," Cook said. "We have the number one ranked defense in the nation. We feel we can compete with anyone."

With USC's offense struggling to generate points, Spurrier predicted earlier this week that USC would likely have to win a bunch of low-scoring games in order to enjoy a successful season. Norwood welcomes the challenge.

"It's no pressure at all," Norwood said. "If we need to get eight or nine three and outs a game, then that's what we'll do. We're going to come out here and practice and watch film and prepare and do what we have to do to get the ball back.

The defense said they're gladly shoulder the burden until the offense finds a solution to its scoring woes. The emergence of true freshman quarterback Stephen Garcia has, apparently, created some excitement in the USC locker room.

"I think the offense will come around as the season progresses," strong safety Emanuel Cook said. "They seem to have a little more confidence and things seem to be more exciting around here this week. We try to sit back and let the offense do their thing."

USC enters Saturday's game with a six-game conference losing streak. When the Gamecocks take the field on Saturday, it would have been exactly one year since the Gamecocks last defeated a SEC opponent.

"Everybody is hyped up about it," Cook said. "Everybody on defense has been watching and preparing more for the game. Coach Johnson has really emphasized watching film and that everyone has to be on the same page to get a victory this week."

Tomorrow I have post a Q&A with the Ole Miss beat writer from rivals, he will be asked questions from South Carolina fans.

Now as the week is coming to a close and thinking about this game really hard, I have a few more opinions on this one.

Kenny McKinnley has been practicing this week but for the sake of being conservative here, I'm going to assume he doesn't play like he hasn't the last 3 games. Anything in my mind that SC gets out of him this week in the game is bonus.

I think if South Carolina doesn't beat themselves in this game, they will win. I think the team, after 2 straight weeks of sleep walking, is ready to pick the intensity back up and going on the road for this team might not be a bad thing, our fans are really harsh on the offense right now, even at home. I believe Garcia is going to start and he brings that swagger and confidence to the huddle that can pick everyones spirit up. When Smelley is in there, I get the impression he is playing "not to lose" where as Garcia is cocky and plays "to win". Now, I've seen Garcia play for exactly 2 quarters against UAB, this is a real big test for him but he has the arm, he has the legs to get out of trouble, he has the right attitude about being successful, and the players gravitate to him. He is going to make his share of mistakes, hopefully it isn't 4 ints, but he is going to get better as the game goes on, he showed that positive factor in the UAB game.

South Carolina can not go on the road and make 3 turnovers and put their defense in bad position, that is not how they win the game. They win this game with good special teams, with good defense, and with smart offense. The Ole Miss DL versus the SC OL is a huge huge matchup but its time for this group to man-up and play like they are capable of. If you go back to the UGA game, they gave Smelley time to throw, UGA's DL is pretty decent so its not like SC is going to get blown up every play. SC has to force Ole Miss to bring a blitz and then hit the man in the open spot. I do think, with time, SC can throw on Ole Miss. On defense, SC has to stay home, watch the misdirections, and force Snead into bad decisions. He has been far from stellar these last 2 games against SEC defenses and I believe Ellis Johnson has these boys ready. I think Spurrier and the team know how important these next two games are to the season, to recruiting, to the program, and they MUST WIN these next 2 weeks and they are capable of it.

don't know if this is a bluff, still going to assume he has little impact

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Yet another Kenny McKinley note...</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
Following Wednesday's practice, Steve Spurrier said Kenny McKinley is expected to play Saturday. And Larry Freeman did not practice due to a root canal.

October 1, 2008

Rebels Fein gets Redemption

Neal McCready
Senior Writer

There might be a debate about who made the tackle of Tim Tebow on fourth-and-1 on the Ole Miss 32-yard line this past Saturday.

<!--Start FloridaFein405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/697088.jpg', '697088.jpg', 0, 300, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss linebacker Tony Fein, shown here bringing down Florida\'s Percy Harvin while strong safety Jamarca Sanford closes in to help, has 28 tackles this season. Only Sanford and Kendrick Lewis have more so far for the Rebels.', 'Dave Childers', 1222886085000, 'FloridaFein405', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
697088.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss linebacker Tony Fein, shown here bringing down Florida's Percy Harvin while strong safety Jamarca Sanford closes in to help, has 28 tackles this season. Only Sanford and Kendrick Lewis have more so far for the Rebels.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaFein405 Image-->However, there's absolutely no question who stopped Brandon James on third-and-10 from the Rebels' 41 one play earlier, making it possible for Marcus Temple, Peria Jerry, Kentrell Lockett and Co. to playfully argue for the rest of their lives about who ultimately brought Tebow to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium turf to set off one wild party in The Swamp.

That player, racing across the field to catch the speedy James before he could get the first down, was Ole Miss middle linebacker Tony Fein. For Fein, a senior who has climbed out of Houston Nutt's doghouse and into a starting role, the play was a bit of vindication.

"The whole time I've been here, I've heard how I was slow and I wasn't fast enough to play here," Fein said Tuesday, breaking a bit of a silence he's had towards the media covering the team this season. "I got trashed pretty well by you guys and by some of the message boards and all of that. I'm glad I had an opportunity to show what I can do. …People turned on me a little bit. When I got here, everybody loved me. …It's a tough transition from junior college to the SEC. It's different. I don't feel like I had time to get my feet wet."

In addition to the motivation provided by critics, Fein has been aided by the loss of about 15 pounds. Fein played last season at 260 pounds or so, and he's playing at around 245 pounds this season.

"I'm in the best shape of my life," Fein said. "I'm a lot faster, a lot quicker. I feel like I have a chance to get my feet wet. It was my first year in the SEC last year and like I said, I got trashed. I'm going to continue to make plays this year and silence my critics.

"That's really where I'm coming from. I'm a football player. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't make plays. I won't lie. I have a little chip on my shoulder. I feel like I was abandoned a little bit. I came here and everyone was on my side. I had a bad season. I feel like before the season, no one said anything about me, like I wasn't even here. (I was) the second-leading tackler on the team. Like I said, it's a team game and I want to help my teammates win, but I feel like I've got some stuff to prove."

During his weekly press conference Monday, Nutt had high praise for Fein, saying that the senior from Port Orchard, Wash., and Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College had improved dramatically once he bought into Nutt's system.

"I've always been a team player," Fein said. "I don't want it to seem like I've never been a team player, but I felt like me playing was best for the team, so I just had to, you know, continue to play hard in practice and I knew when I got my chance on the field, I'd do what I do."

Fein played in 11 games last season for Ole Miss, starting five, and finished with 84 tackles, which ranked 10th in the Southeastern Conference. Still, in the offseason, Fein found disfavor with the coaching staff. He started spring ball behind Jonathan Cornell and Chris Bowers and finished No. 2 behind Cornell after Bowers was moved to defensive end.

"I don't feel like that," Fein said, when asked if he had been in the coaching staff's doghouse, "but they're the coaches and what they say goes. So now when they tell me to go in, I play. I do the best I can and I just want an opportunity in the future to try to help the team again."

That opportunity will almost certainly come Saturday when Ole Miss (3-2 overall, 1-1 in the Southeastern Conference) entertains South Carolina (3-2, 0-2) at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

"We can build off (the win over Florida)," Fein said. "I feel a different vibe, an energy within the team and the locker room, like we can really build off this. I think this is the beginning of something special for Ole Miss."

<!--Start FlaTebowLaurent405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695641.jpg', '695641.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'Ole Miss defensive tackle Ted Laurent pressures Florida quarterback Tim Tebow during the Rebels\' 31-30 win at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium this past Saturday. Laurent was one of 10 defensive linemen to play for the Rebels at Florida.', 'John Rauox', 1222886230000, 'FlaTebowLaurent405', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=407>
695641.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ole Miss defensive tackle Ted Laurent pressures Florida quarterback Tim Tebow during the Rebels' 31-30 win at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium this past Saturday. Laurent was one of 10 defensive linemen to play for the Rebels at Florida.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FlaTebowLaurent405 Image-->REBELS GETTING DEEP ON D-LINE: Yes, Greg Hardy and Peria Jerry are back, and that's helped immensely. However, Ole Miss took 11 defensive linemen on the trip to Florida and all but one _ Jermey Parnell _ played and played extensively.

"We talk about personnel every week and who we play on playing in the ballgame," Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix said. "We try to play as many guys as possible. We have a package or two where we have as many as six D-linemen in the game at the same time. We had an idea if we got in certain situations that there was a possibility that all of them may play. That came as no surprise to me."

REBS SHOW GOOD CONCENTRATION: There have been no signs of a letdown of any sort this week. Wednesday's two-hour session in shorts and shells was no exception.

"We had some good work today," Nutt said. "I like the way everyone is concentrating. We had a good workout."

<!--Start Scott_James250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/697931.jpg', '697931.jpg', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Ohio State transfer James Scott dressed out for the first time Wednesday since transferring to Ole Miss earlier this fall. Scott, a Daytona Beach, Fla., native, will have three years of eligibility remaining starting next season.', 'Neal McCready', 1222905541000, 'Scott_James250', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
697931.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Neal McCready</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ohio State transfer James Scott dressed out for the first time Wednesday since transferring to Ole Miss earlier this fall. Scott, a Daytona Beach, Fla., native, will have three years of eligibility remaining starting next season.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Scott_James250 Image-->The Rebels did get their first dose of bad injury news in awhile when nickel back Marcus Temple was unable to work. Temple, who finished the Florida game despite a foot injury suffered in the third quarter against the Gators, was wearing a protective boot again Wednesday.

"It does not look like he is going to be able to play," Nutt said. "Right now, Dustin Mouzon will take over his duties as the nickel back. He looked good today. He's the best we've got."

MUSICAL CHAIRS ENDS WITH EVERYONE SMILING: Nix is happy to be at Ole Miss after three seasons at South Carolina. The man who replaced him as the Gamecocks' defensive coordinator, former Alabama and Mississippi State defensive coordinator, Ellis Johnson, is happy too.

"Right now, everybody has a job," Johnson told The (Columbia, S.C.) State. "That's the best thing. Somebody won't be happy after Saturday.

"It's been good for me personally. I haven't looked back on any of it. Hopefully, we can do what we need to do here because we'd certainly like to be here a while."

Nix received a big pay increase from Ole Miss, going from $200,000 a year at South Carolina to $350,000. Johnson, in turn, got a similar package when he was hired at South Carolina. The Gamecocks head to Oxford ranked No. 1 and No. 2 nationally in total defense and pass defense, respectively.

"It's worked out super for Ty and, obviously, it's worked out super for us," Spurrier told The State.

South Carolina has allowed 221.4 yards per game, including 105 in the air, while giving up less than two touchdowns per game, statistics Johnson said don't interest him.

<!--Start SouthCarolinaSmelley405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/696586.jpg', '696586.jpg', 1, 300, 405, 1, 'South Carolina quarterback Chris Smelley, shown here scrambling for yardage against UAB this past Saturday, is still in the mix to possibly start Saturday at Ole Miss.', 'Brett Flashnick', 1222886359000, 'SouthCarolinaSmelley405', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=407>
696586.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>South Carolina quarterback Chris Smelley, shown here scrambling for yardage against UAB this past Saturday, is still in the mix to possibly start Saturday at Ole Miss.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SouthCarolinaSmelley405 Image-->"I don't think they're irrelevant, but I don't put a lot of stock in them," Johnson told the Columbia newspaper. "We've probably not played the tougher part of our schedule. We've been very blessed with injury problems not biting us like it did last year. A lot of things still got to play out. We'll see where we are at the end of the season."

GAMECOCKS STILL UNSETTLED AT QUARTERBACK: As of Wednesday morning, Stephen Garcia is listed as the first-string quarterback for the first time at South Carolina. However, Spurrier still hasn't named the redshirt freshman the starter for Saturday's game at Ole Miss.

Garcia "may start" and would "probably" play a lot, Spurrier told reports Wednesday.

"We'll let them practice this week and make a decision," Spurrier told The State. "But we're not filing (away) Chris Smelley yet. He threw one low-ball interception (in Saturday's win against UAB)."

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who has started all but one game the past two seasons, might not start Saturday as punishment for missing classes and weightlifting sessions. Spurrier said he has spoken to the junior, who said he overslept. The coach indicated the situation was nothing serious and benching him was an effort to "get his attention." Also, sophomore Clifton Geathers and senior Jordin Lindsey are co-starters at one defensive end spot, as are sophomores Terrence Campbell and Heath Batchelor at right guard. Lindsey and Batchelor were suspended for the UAB game, and Geathers started in Lindsey's place.

October 1, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Spurrier: McKinley Expected To Play
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier: McKinley Expected To Play "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier: McKinley Expected To Play"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>McKinley expected to Play</NOSCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood

After sitting out nearly four full games, wide receiver Kenny McKinley is expected not just back on the sidelines wearing a South Carolina uniform this weekend, but on the field as well.

Sidelined with a strained hamstring since late in the first quarter of the Vanderbilt game, McKinley participated in practice Tuesday afternoon for the first time since sustaining the injury on Sept. 4. He practiced again on Wednesday.

Head coach Steve Spurrier, though, is non-committal about how much playing time the senior from Mableton, Ga. will get on Saturday when the Gamecocks travel to Ole Miss for a critical SEC game. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. ET.

"Kenny was running around decently," Spurrier said late Wednesday afternoon following a two-hour workout on the Bluff Road practice fields. "He's expected to play some. We'll see how much as we go. But he'll suit up and go play."

Spurrier contended he will not allow McKinley to take the field against the Rebels unless he was close to 100 percent. He rejected the suggestion McKinley will be utilized as a decoy in case he can't go full speed.

"He was cutting okay. He didn't do a whole lot but what he did he was okay," Spurrier said. "He has to be full go before he'll be real valuable. We don't need any decoys out there. I don't think anybody is worried about our passing game right now. I'm sure Ole Miss will play just about what everybody else has been playing, plus their stuff. We haven't really scored a lot of points against anybody. But we're hopeful we can get the offense going."

If he plays, McKinley will continue his pursuit of most of the school's major receiving records. He needs eight receptions to break Sterling Sharpe's 21-year old mark of 169 career receptions. Zola Davis (1995-98) is second with 164 catches.

Spurrier also rejected speculation that McKinley will be 'rusty' when he takes the field on Saturday.

"He's been catching a few balls here and there," Spurrier said. "He's caught a lot of balls the last two days."

McKinley was not made available to the media on Wednesday. He was seen jogging across the street towards Williams-Brice Stadium following practice.

Chris Hail, a junior who was recently shifted from defensive back to wide receiver, said McKinley has taken some snaps with the first team offense in practice this week. Hail is backing him up.

"Kenny is making a good comeback," Hail said. "They put him out there and I'm glad to have him out there. I'll just be the next man off the bench. (McKinley) is about 90 percent. He's looking real good, he's looking all right. He goes to the training table every day and gets that work in. He goes to the swimming pool to work those quads. It's killing him not to be out there but he's making a good recovery. He'll be back."

Spurrier's pronouncement Wednesday represented a quick reversal of fortune for McKinley. During his weekly teleconference on Sunday, Spurrier mentioned the possibility of McKinley taking a medical hardship for the year of he didn't play against Ole Miss or Oct. 11 at Kentucky.

"Actually, I hadn't really talked with the trainer that much," Spurrier said. "His rehab has come along nicely. He tested out on that strength machine in (the weight room) almost full speed. He's not 100 percent but he's close."

Earlier in the day, Spurrier said this: "Kenny practiced a little bit yesterday. How much he'll play, we'll just have to wait and see on Saturday. But he's going with us and we're definitely planning on suiting him up."

Over the last three games, USC's vertical passing game has come to a screeching halt even though Spurrier has continuously called for deep throws down the field. USC has averaged 18.7 points and 223.3 passing yards in the last three games.

"We're not going to blame our problems on Kenny not being there," Spurrier said. "We blame our problems on a little bit of all of us. We're trying to work our way out of it. The (offensive) line is trying to work their way, receivers, running backs, quarterbacks. Actually, the quarterbacks threw the ball a lot better today. It was a little bit encouraging."

USC could use McKinley's talents on Saturday. Burdened with a 0-2 conference mark, USC faces a must-win situation against Ole Miss, which avoided dropping to 0-2 when it upset Florida, 31-30, last weekend in Gainesville.

"They certainly proved they're one of the best teams in the SEC," Spurrier said. "We're looking forward to the ballgame out there on Saturday afternoon."

One of the most heavily discussed plots leading into Saturday's game is the familiarity of the respective defensive coordinators for their opponent. Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix, of course, served in the same capacity with the Gamecocks for two years before joining Houston Nutt's new staff in December.

"That's part of the game. I'm certainly very happy for Tyrone," Spurrier said. "We had a wonderful three years here together. He has a better situation there than he did here. Change is a part of coaching and all coaches know that. We don't take a job to have for 10 years. We take a job, have a run at it and, hopefully, there's a better one down the road. Or, if you've done it long enough like I have, you're trying to make some success right where you are. That's what I am. I'm not looking for anything down the road. Most assistant coaches, if they've done a super job, maybe there's a bigger and better job down the road somewhere."

Moreover, USC defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson is very familiar with the Rebels program following a four-year stint (2004-2007) as defensive coordinator at Mississippi State. He's also faced Nutt and his offense enough times throughout the years to have a good idea about what to expect from Ole Miss.

Spurrier, however, reiterated Wednesday that it's less about coaches or schemes and more about players when it comes to determining who will win the game.

"To tell you the truth, it still comes down to players making the plays and so forth," Spurrier said. "I still believe the players on the field will determine the winner. As coaches, we try to put them in position to make plays. Then they determine who wins and loses.

"We're going run our defense and I'm sure Ole Miss is probably going to run their defense. We don't really change up a whole bunch. Maybe we'll emphasize one coverage or one type of defense more than others. But the way we've played offense, we've struggled against almost everybody we played. We just haven't done a whole bunch offensively yet this year. Hopefully, we can get something going soon."

Statistically, Ole Miss has struggled defensively under Nix's guidance in the first five games. The Rebels are in the bottom one-third of the conference rankings in all of the major categories, including ninth in total defense (328.8 ypg) and 11th in scoring defense (23.4 ppg). However, Ole Miss has 38 tackles for loss in the last three games.

However, Spurrier contended Wednesday that he's been impressed watching the Ole Miss defensive line on film. The Rebels' defensive front is led by the trio of defensive tackles Peria Jerry and Ted Laurent (tied for SEC in TFL's with 6) and defensive end Kentrell Lockett.

All-SEC defensive end Greg Hardy, who had 10 sacks last season, has returned to the lineup after missing the majority of pre-season camp and the first three games with a stress fracture in his foot. Hardy, though, is not listed on the depth chart, but expects to see significant snaps. In just two games, Hardy has 2.5 sacks.

"Their whole defensive line is very good," Spurrier said. "Shoot, they've got good athletes up and down the field at all positions. We're not going to try and leave a back in to help on one guy or something like that. We're basically going to run our offense. Their defensive guys are very active."

QUARTERBACK BATTLE CONTINUES: Spurrier refrained from naming a starting quarterback on Wednesday, but his comments to the media clearly gave a slight edge to redshirt sophomore Chris Smelley, who has started the last four games, one fewer than his career long stretch established last season, and made 10 career starts.

"They've thrown a little bit better," Spurrier said. "Chris Smelley is obviously ahead of Stephen (Garcia) as far as knowing what to do and where to throw it, things like that. But we'll wait until tomorrow to announce who's going to start.

Spurrier acknowledged Smelley's experience and "knowing what to do with the ball" gave him an edge in the starting quarterback race with Garcia, who has 131 yards passing and 86 rushing yards in last week's win over UAB.

"But, then again, Stephen can run out of there," Spurrier said. "Our passes are based on protection to start with and not just take off running. But sometimes that is good. Anyway, they'll both be ready to play. There's a good chance maybe they'll both play quite a bit."

Prior to Wednesday's practice, Spurrier contended he's still looking for one of the Gamecock quarterbacks to emerge as the clear favorite.

"We're not 100 percent settled (on quarterback)," Spurrier said. "I wish we were. I wish we definitely had a guy we could all look to and so forth. Chris Smelley is more experienced and probably takes care of the ball a little bit better than Stephen Garcia. Stephen has played just a little bit. He's sort of helter skelter out there as far as knowing what to do."

Garcia led USC with 18 rushing attempts last Saturday night and averaged 4.8 yards per carry. His longest run was nine yards. His first career TD came midway through the second quarter on a five-yard run up the middle. Sophomore running back Brian Maddox was second with 10 carries.

"Stephen does give us the ability to run the ball," Spurrier said. "He can run out of the pocket and make something happen. We're planning on playing both of them and we'll go on from there."

RYCHLESKI VOWS TIGHT ENDS WILL IMPROVE: USC's tight ends had a difficult time in last Saturday's victory over UAB, particularly when they were required to block. Steve Spurrier challenged the media after the game to find one play where the tight ends executed their blocking assignments properly. Tight ends coach Ray Rychleski said a few glaring errors tarnished the entire performance of the tight ends.

"The tight ends did not have a good night," Rychleski admitted. "As I've said before, you can have 80 good plays and you might have two bad ones, but those two can really hurt on some big plays. That's what stands out, and that's kind of what happened to the tight ends. We played decent at times, but our bad plays were really bad plays. We helped cause a fumble, we helped cause two sacks, and one was totally our fault."

As a result of his poor play, Weslye Saunders was demoted to third team for this week's game at Ole Miss, though No. 2 tight end Larry Freeman wore a non-contact yellow jersey during Wednesday's practice. Rychleski offered this one example: Saunders made a 23-yard reception on one play but gave up a key sack on the next snap.

Efforts to make sure the poor performance is not repeated started soon after the UAB ended, Rychleski said. The coach accepted part of the blame for the problems experienced by the tight ends, and eagerly looked forward to Saturday's game at Ole Miss was a way to erase the memory of the UAB performance.

"We had a heart to heart talk with the three tight ends and how we can get better," Rychleski said. "We're all in this together and hopefully come Saturday we'll do a lot better. We're going to bounce back on Saturday, I promise."

Rychleski has emphasized the fundamentals in practice this week, and the scout team linebackers have been rushing off the edge to allow the tight ends to improve that facet of their game. Saturday's SEC contest at Ole Miss is still three days away, but Rychleski is already looking forward to the game.

"I can't wait for this Saturday to get here from a tight end standpoint so I can get the bad taste out of my mouth from this past Saturday," he said. "We have something to prove in all areas. Our guys are disappointed with how they played. It's good to play poorly and still win the game. Now we have to play well and win the game. If we play bad this week, we' won't win the game."

EVERYBODY RUN, THE HOMECOMING QUEEN'S GOT A GUN: Nobody likes to be the opponent for Homecoming, especially in the SEC. Well, it's Homecoming this weekend in Oxford when the Gamecocks show up to play a critical SEC game. That fact clearly irked special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski earlier this week.

"That tells you something right there," Rychleski said. "When your team is the homecoming game, they don't respect you very well. I don't care what you say. When those people circle those games for Homecoming, they're circling wins. Nobody wants to go home a loser on Homecoming. I'm glad they made us the Homecoming Queen. Nobody wants to be (the) Homecoming (opponent)."

Spurrier, though, isn't too concerned. He said Auburn was frequently scheduled as Florida's Homecoming opponent during his 12 years in Gainesville. Often, the Homecoming opponent is dictated by the schedule.

"I don't worry about that," Spurrier said Wednesday. "They had to schedule somebody. It's like us pulling those players out of the game last week. We had to pull them out for somebody. Nah, it's no big deal."

NUTT GUARDING AGAINST COMPLACENCY BY REBELS: Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt fears an emotional letdown by his football team following last Saturday's upset win by the Revels at previously No. 4 Florida. The Rebels worked out Tuesday for the first time in preparation for the meeting with the Gamecocks.

"My antennas are up," Nutt was quoted on saying in an article published on RebelSports.net, the Rivals site covering Ole Miss football. "It's got to be the most important thing that we do, go back to work and it's got to be just like we did last week. Guys came out and went to work after feeling real sick to their stomach. There was a purpose of trying to get better. For the most part, (Tuesday) was all right. We'll see tomorrow when we come back and get much better."

Nutt did not notice any outward signs of complacency during Tuesday's workout.

"All I can really go on is did they go to study hall when they're supposed to," Nutt said. "Did they go to the weight room? Did they come out here and give great effort?"

Some Ole Miss seniors are looking out for signs of complacency, as well, from some of the younger, les experienced players on the Rebels' roster.

"It was over when we got on the plane," Ole Miss defensive tackle Peria Jerry said. "It was a great win and everybody was happy, but it's gone now. We're looking forward. We have to stay focused. We can beat anybody, but we have to stay focused and get prepared for the upcoming game. I feel like a lot of guys are coming along pretty quickly and it seems like it's not really a big deal to anybody. Everybody wants to just keep winning and keep this thing rolling."

By all accounts, Ole Miss dominated Florida from a physical standpoint. Numerous Florida players were nursing a myriad of injuries following the game, while Ole Miss exited Gainesville with virtually no injuries.

"We teach them that if you play extremely hard at the highest intensity level and play with a bend in your knee, chances are you're most likely not going to get hurt," Nutt said. "You can always use your head wrong or something like that, but you try to keep emphasizing to see what you hit and we've been fortunate the last couple of weeks."

NIX PREPARES TO FACE FORMER TEAM: Ole Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix will face his former team this weekend. Nit served on the USC coaching staff for the three seasons, serving as the sole defensive coordinator for two years (2006-2007). He left in December to join Nutt's first staff in Oxford and was eventually replaced by Ellis Johnson.

"I'm not playing them," Nix said. "All I do is coach these guys here and try to get them ready as best as possible. As far as the personal relationships, it's no different than probably competing against your brother in basketball or any other sport. You shake hands after it's over and tell each other how you're feeling and then you move forward to the next opponent."

Nutt will go through what Nix is feeling this week later this month when Ole Miss travels to Fayetteville to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks.

"It's hard," Nutt said. "It's going to be a lot like when we play that other team (Arkansas). It's going to be hard. It's there. You spent part of your life there, so you can't help it. You know the kids. You know the players. You know the coaches. You know all of them. We just have a task, a job to do, and you try to focus on that."

NOTES:

-- Spurrier said the punishment for Captain Munnerlyn has been determined: he will sit out the first play of Saturday's game against Oxford. "Whether or not he plays the second or third play, we'll see how the game goes," Spurrier said. "He's going to play. Coach Beamer has been playing a lot of guys. Captain needs to pick up his play a little bit. He can play a little bit better, we think. He's been very good on punt returns. Bur his defensive play, he could pick it up a bit."

-- USC has started a "little extra conditioning program" for any player that commits a mental error in a game. "We're going to try to do that every week to remind our guys that if we play our assignments and play with effort we have a chance to be a really good team."

-- Spurrier reported Wednesday that USC is "pretty healthy for this time of year."

-- Backup tight end Larry Freeman wore a yellow jersey during Wednesday's workout after undergoing a root canal. "He had to go see the dentist, so he was held out today," Spurrier said. Freeman should be ready to play on Saturday.

-- Saturday's upset of No. 4 Florida in The Swamp has earned Ole Miss a place on the cover of Sports Illustrated. In the issue set to hit newsstands Tuesday, the magazine's headline reads "Rebels Rise" and the cutline of the cover photo is "Ole Miss defensive end Greg Hardy clobbers QB Tim Tebow of the Gators, No. 4 no more."

-- Freshman QB Reid McCollum has mononucleosis and missed practice on Wednesday.

-- When asked about Spurrier's comment Tuesday that he had a "screwball attitude," Chris Hail responded "I don't really know what he means by that." However, Hail admitted he has missed some classes and workouts in the past, but that he's learned from his mistakes. "I want to prove I can go out there and play ball and not screw up." Hail said Spurrier asked him to move back to wide receiver. He has three career receptions, all against Auburn in 2006. When asked if he would provide a boost to the downfield passing attack, Hail said "I add that extra fuel because I have a lot of speed" . Hail said he ran a 4.4 flat in the latest testing.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Thursday practice notes. And the starter is...</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>Chris Smelley will start at quarterback.

Kenny McKinley may start. Will be a gametime decision.

Terrence Campbell will start at right guard ahead of Heath Batchelor.

USC will wear white jerseys and white pants.

Ok my thoughts on this: Spurrier has to be worried about starting Garcia on the road, that is the only reason I can see Smelley still being QB of this team. If we lose this game, Smelley and Beecher should never sniff the field again and it should be Garcia through thick and thin. Really I can't see any other reason, besides experience, to give Smelley the start. He looked horrible against UAB.

God fuken damnit, another game of musical fuken QB's. Pick 1 and fuken stop switching them.

As you can see, this bothers me

Garcia will play and Spurrier will stay with the hot hand, I just hope it doesn't take a Chris Smelley telegraphed INT for a PICK6 to make the change.

Last edited:
Any picks yet ETG?

If I was on SC, I could openly reccomend that side to someone, but I'm not, so I don't have my money where my mouth is.

The best I can do is provide you with the most information possible so that you make an informed decision.

I think its going to be close game and I think we win although Ramble will tell you the same thing. It might be a fun game to watch but not so fun to bet.

After sleeping this QB move over, I've come up with another way of looking at this ....

Spurrier knows this game is the crossroads of our season. We are 3-2 and 0-2 in the SEC. In front of us, we have 2 games that are winnable and can change the fortunes of our season. He is essentially saying to Chris Smelley, “Do you want to be QB on this team? Here is your shot to show everyone that you are QB.”

By starting Garcia, it means he is already thinking about the future and next year but by starting Smelley, he is saying, well the season is not lost yet, here is your shot at QB, what are you going to do Chris?

If we lose to Ole Miss, Garcia will be the starter @ UK next week and for the rest of the year but if Smelley can play good enough for the Gamecocks to win, he will retain his job.

With that said, few more previews for anyone interested:

<DIV style="FONT-STYLE: italic">October 3, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("USC-Ole Miss Preview: Must-Win In Oxford?
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "USC-Ole Miss Preview: Must-Win In Oxford? "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "USC-Ole Miss Preview: Must-Win In Oxford?"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Must Win in Oxford?

Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

USC-OLE MISS PREVIEW

What: USC (3-2, 0-2) at Ole Miss (3-2, 1-1);
Where: Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS;
When: Sat., Oct. 4, 2 p.m. ET;
TV/Radio: Pay-per view (Mike Morgan, Brad Muller, George Rogers); Gamecock Radio Network, 107.5 FM In Columbia (Todd Ellis, Tommy Suggs, Duce Staley); Replay on SportSouth.

It's been four years since South Carolina and Ole Miss knocked heads on the gridiron. In fact, the last time the two teams squared off the head coaches were Lou Holtz and David Cutcliffe, both of whom are distant memories to their respective programs. The stakes, though, have probably never been higher. USC hasn't won a conference game in a year, and unless they pull out a win on Saturday will fall to 0-3 in the SEC. Ole Miss will try to sustain the momentum from last week's upset win over Florida. After defeating the Gators, a Homecoming loss to USC is not what the natives in Oxford have in mind. Houston Nutt is in the early stages of changing the Rebels' mindset after the disastrous three-year reign of Ed Orgeron. But this is a huge game for Steve Spurrier, too. For whatever reason, USC has played better on the road under Spurrier than at home. Will the trend continue?

Here's how the two teams matchup on both sides of the ball:

USC OFFENSE v. OLE MISS DEFENSE:

Steve Spurrier waited until two days before last week's win over UAB to announce the starting quarterback. With the competition so close, he decided to hold off again this week while Chris Smelley and Stephen Garcia battled it out.

Smelley will make his fifth consecutive start, matching his career-long stretch of last season, and the 11th start of his two-year career. While many USC fans have clamored for Garcia, a heralded prospect from Tampa, Fla., Smelley was thrown for over 200 yards in three of the past four games. This season, he's completed 61.6 percent of his passes (77 of 125) for 844 yards with six touchdowns and six interceptions.

Smelley, 6-4 as a starter, surpassed 2,000 passing yards in his career during last week's victory over UAB. His career completion percentage (58.9) ranks third in USC history behind Blake Mitchell (60.7 percent) and Steve Taneyhill (60.5).

Smelley's superior experience, maturity and knowledge of the offense tilted the scales in his favor when the time came for Spurrier to reach his decision.

Garcia came off the bench last week to lead the USC offense with 86 yards rushing and 131 yards passing. In the first extended playing time of his career, Garcia completed 13-of-20 passes and threw the first touchdown pass of his career while compiling the most yards rushing by a USC quarterback since Cory Jenkins had 101 yards against Georgia in 2002.

One of the great mysteries of this season is how the Gamecocks can lead the SEC in first downs (112 in five games) and rank fourth in the conference in passing offense (220.2 ypg), yet stand eighth in scoring offense (21.4 ppg) and eighth in total offense (324.4 ypg). It's become the paradox of the 2008 season.

The reason for the discrepancy? USC has committed 15 turnovers, most in the SEC, and enters this week's game with a minus-7 rating in turnover margin, tying Arkansas for the worst figure in the league and 109th nationally. Moreover, the Gamecocks have kicked six field goals in 19 trips inside the red zone, second most in the conference, and have gained 15 first downs by penalty, nearly double the next SEC team.

While Kenny McKinley has sat out the last three games with a strained hamstring, USC has turned more and more to its ground game to gain yards. This season has produced the top three "Most Rushing Attempts" games in the Spurrier Era. USC rushed 45 times last week against UAB, the most since Spurrier took over the program. The previous high was 42 rushes set twice previously this season against N.C. State and Wofford.

Leading rusher Mike Davis (254 yards on 54 carries)) returns from a one-game suspension for missing too many classes last fall and should spearhead USC's rushing efforts against an Ole Miss defense ranked ninth in the league in rushing defense (119.6 ypg). Ole Miss has allowed 131 and 124 yards to Vanderbilt and Florida, respectively, the last two weeks.

When it comes to the USC rushing game, the biggest surprise came earlier this week when senior Bobby Wallace was promoted to No. 2 on the depth chart after a solid performance against UAB. His six carries for 51 yards represented his first carries since the 2006 season against Middle Tennessee when he carried three times for 98 yards, including an 88-yard touchdown run, the fourth longest run in school history.

The possibility of McKinley returning to action for the first time since Sept. 4 is one of the intriguing plot lines heading into Saturday's matchup. His addition, even on a limited basis, would provide a much-needed spark to a downfield passing game that's been practically nonexistent the last three weeks. Most of the throws completed by USC's quarterbacks in recent games have been short, safe passes, including dump passes, swing passes and middle screens. Much to the chagrin of Spurrier, of course.

Redshirt freshman Jason Barnes made the first start of his career last week and impressed the coaches enough to earn another opportunity against the Rebels. Barnes has four receptions for 58 yards this season.

The tight ends have caused a degree of consternation with their recent struggles trying to block. But there's no questioning the pass-catching talents of Jared Cook (team-high 19 receptions for 262 yards) and Weslye Saunders (4 receptions). Cook became the go-to receiver when McKinley went down with his injury. Cook is tied for eighth in the SEC in receptions per game (3.8) and ninth in receiving yards per game (52.4).

The experienced USC offensive line will face a stern test this Saturday trying to block an Ole Miss defensive line that features two potential first-round NFL Draft picks in DE Greg Hardy and DT Peria Jerry. The Rebels gave Florida's offensive line fits last weekend in Gainesville with three sacks and a critical fourth-down stop late in the contest.

Despite the addition of defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix, the Rebels are currently in the bottom one-third of the conference rankings in all of the major categories, including ninth in total defense (328.8 ypg) and 11th in scoring defense (23.4 ppg). However, Ole Miss has 38 tackles for loss in the last three games.

KEY OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: QB Chris Smelley, RB Mike Davis, RB Bobby Wallace, WR Jason Barnes, WR Kenny McKinley, TE Jared Cook, OL Jarriel King, C Garrett Anderson.

KEY DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: DE Greg Hardy, DT Peria Jerry, NT Ted Laurent, SS Jamarca Sanford, MLB Jonathan Cornell.

COACH'S COMMENT: "We've lost two Eastern Division games, but who knows what could happen. We've just got to play our best, try to win one game at a time. We don't need to be worried about anything else this week except beat Ole Miss and go from there. We don't need to put pressure on our guys except just play the best we can. We need to play with a little bit more confidence, go out somewhat relaxed and see if we can make some plays. We're coaching just as hard as we did 10 years ago, eight years ago, or whatever. Somehow or another, we need to get a spark." - USC head coach Steve Spurrier.

OLE MISS OFFENSE v. USC DEFENSE:

This week will present the top-ranked USC defense with one of its toughest tests of the season. The Rebels offense is directed by talented quarterback Jevan Snead, a transfer from Texas that initially committed to Florida before Urban Meyer decided to pursue Tim Tebow.

Snead continues to lead the SEC in touchdown passes (8) and is ranked third in average passing yards (205.8 ypg) and fifth in passing efficiency (131.8). The biggest TD toss of his career came with less than six minutes remaining in last week's win over Florida when he hooked up with junior Shay Hodge on a 86-yard scoring play that went into the record books as the longest pass play in Ole Miss history.

The Ole Miss backfield features three players with 198 or more yards rushing. Freshman Branden Bolden leads the Rebels with 261 yards, while Cordera Eason is second with 219 yards. However, the most versatile offensive threat for Ole Miss sits in third – junior Dexter McCluster.

In addition to 198 rushing yards, McCluster leads the Rebels in receptions with 19. After a career-high receiving day against Vanderbilt, he had a team-leading 60 yards rushing on 11 carries against Florida. He is averaging 97.4 all-purpose yards per game, which ranks sixth in the SEC.

McCluster directs the offense when they go into the Wild Rebel formation. That offense worked to perfection last week when he took the shotgun snap and scampered 40 yards for a touchdown against Florida.

Under Nutt, the Ole Miss offense has cranked up the yards and scoring. Ole Miss is averaging 386.4 yards per outing, the most since 2003 when some guy named Eli Manning was calling the signals for the Rebels' offense. Ole Miss is averaging 30.2 points per game, also the highest since 2003.

Nutt said earlier this week that the Ole Miss offensive line has been a little bit of a disappointment with its consistent lack of physical play thus far this season. However, the Rebels have allowed only four sacks, which is tied for second in the SEC.
Last week, the top-ranked USC defense overpowered the woeful UAB offense, limiting the Blazers to 12 first downs, 67 rushing yards and 207 yards allowed.

Without question, a lack of serious injuries has boosted this season's climb up the national rankings by the USC defense. After losing two key starters in September last season (Nathan Pepper and Jasper Brinkley), the Gamecocks have used just 12 different starters so far in 2008.

The only defensive regular to not start all five games is Jordin Lindsey, who sat out the UAB game after violating the school's class attendance policy.

By now, most Gamecock fans know USC is ranked No. 1 nationally in total defense and No. 2 in passing defense. USC is allowing just 221.4 total yards per game. In 280 total plays, they have yielded 1,107 yards, an average of 3.95 yards per play, and six touchdowns. Nobody has gained more than 300 yards against the Gamecocks this season.

KEY OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: QB Jevan Snead, RB Brandon Bolden, RB Cordera Eason, HB Dexter McCluster, WR Shay Hodge, WR Mike Wallace, LT Michael Oher.

KEY DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: MLB Jasper Brinkley, NT Ladi Ajiboye, DE Cliff Matthews, OLB Eric Norwood, SS Emanuel Cook.

COACH'S COMMENT: "I think we had a good week. Overall, we've had a good week. I get them for 3-1/2 hours a day and everybody else has them the rest of the time. And when you're in uncharted waters, that's what worries you, that's what concerns you. What all's being said to them? What all's been thrown down that system? The only thing I can go by is are they on time for the training room? Are they on time for the weight room? Are they going to school? Are they practicing hard? For the most part, we have been all week. Hopefully it's been good enough this week that we can go out and perform against a good team" – Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt.

SYNOPSIS: Believe it or not, USC has lost five straight games to Ole Miss dating back to 1979. The last time the Gamecocks visited Oxford in 2003, a wild shootout (43-40) ensued in which USC nearly roared back from a huge deficit. USC hasn't beaten the Rebels on their home field since 1974. But the losing streak most USC fans are focused on is this one: the Gamecocks have dropped six straight SEC games. The last conference win came exactly one year ago (Oct. 4, 2007) against Kentucky. The series between USC and Ole Miss has been extremely close in recent years. Three of the last four meetings have been decided by three points or less. Unfortunately, the Rebels have won each of those contests. This year, the teams appear to be evenly matched again.

PREDICTION: This game is going to be won or lost in the trenches. Specifically, USC's offensive line must play its best game of the season against the seasoned and exceptionally talented Ole Miss defensive line. If they do, and USC's quarterbacks have time to throw the ball and pick out receivers, the Gamecocks have a great shot to win this one. Spurrier has decided to go with Chris Smelley, hoping his experience, knowledge of the offense and competitiveness will carry him through. Of course, he's not a running quarterback for the most part, so protection from the offensive line is critical. But he's not afraid to tuck it and run when nobody's open. Defensively, USC must put pressure on the Rebels' Jevan Snead, who has proven he will pile on the passing yardage quickly. Will Captain Munnerlyn's absence hurt USC? He is not expected to miss much action, so his absence will hardly be felt. Thanks to multiple solid recruiting classes by former head coach Ed Orgeron, the cupboard wasn't bare when Houston Nutt arrived last December in Oxford to take over the reeling Rebels program. They certainly have enough talent to be competitive in the SEC. Right now, the two teams are close to being equal in talent. It could come down to special teams. USC has an edge in that department, which should be enough to sneak out of Mississippi with a victory.
The Pick: USC 17, OLE MISS 13.

October 3, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("The Ole Miss - South Carolina match-ups
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "The Ole Miss - South Carolina match-ups "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "The Ole Miss - South Carolina match-ups"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT>

MATCHUPS

Dave Childers
Publisher

The match-up: The 1. p.m. meeting on Saturday will be the 14th meeting between Ole Miss and South Carolina dating back to 1947, and the fifth since the Gamecocks joined the SEC in 1992. The Rebels lead the series 8-5 and have won five straight dating back to a 20-13 win at Columbia in 1981. Ole Miss has won the four SEC meetings: 30-28 at Oxford in 1998, 36-10 in 1999 at Columbia, 43-40 in Oxford in 2003 and 31-28 in Columbia in 2004. The Rebels are 4-2 in home games against the Gamecocks, including one game each in Memphis and Jackson, and own a 3-1 mark in Oxford.
<!--Start 04FlowersGWTDUSC Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/185412.jpg', '185412.jpg', 1, 310, 250, 1, 'The last time Ole Miss and Carolina played, Bill Flowers pulled this pass down for a late win ', 'AP File Photo', 1223038695000, '04FlowersGWTDUSC', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
185412.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>AP: AP File Photo</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>The last time Ole Miss and Carolina played, Bill Flowers pulled this pass down for a late win </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End 04FlowersGWTDUSC Image-->At stake: After a 2-2 start that included a home loss to Vanderbilt, Ole Miss was pretty much given up for dead when it came to the bowl scene, but a 31-30 road win at Florida has the Rebels half way home to bowl eligibility. With a road trip lingering in two weeks to Alabama after an open date next week, the Rebels are looking at a near must-win situation against Carolina to stay on track and not have to depend on a win over the likes of Auburn or LSU later in the season to have a winning season. The Rebels also don't want the Florida win to be viewed as a fluke and want to keep the momentum they gained last week in Gainesville before playing back to back road games at Alabama and Arkansas later this month.

Keys to the Game: 1) Turnovers. The Rebels had nine combined in losses at Wake Forest and Vanderbilt, but won the turnover battle three to one last week in Gainesville. It was a major consideration in winning the game. With Carolina featuring a stingy defense, the Rebels can't give up short fields and the ball on turnovers 2) Defensive domination. The Rebels gave up over 400 yards to Florida, but limited Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow to just seven yards on 14 carries and put relentless pressure on him. The defense doesn't need to allow Carolina's sometimes struggling offense to get any confidence and needs to dominate, especially early in the game. 3) Offensive line play. The Ole Miss offensive line wasn't aggressive and certainly was dominating in the first half at Florida. Head coach Houston Nutt challenged the group and they played much better in the second half. They'll be challenged against a good Carolina defense, but must find a way to effectively run block and protect Rebel quarterback Jevan Snead.
Ole Miss rushing versus the South Carolina ground defense: Ole Miss enters the game ranked No. 45 among the 119 Division I-A teams in rushing offense picking up 172 yards a game, which includes running for 140 yards last week against Florida. The wild card in Ole Miss' success on the ground has been the Wild Rebel - and Nutt noted after the Florida game that he used the unique formation last week because of its success - getting six or seven yards a carry and keeping the clock and chains moving. It also produced the 40-yard run by Wild Rebel quarterback Dexter McCluster that went for a touchdown. The Rebels will face the current rated "best defense in the country" (total defense). However, the Gamecocks are currently giving up 116 yards a game on the ground and are ranked No. 39 in the country in that category. Expect the Rebels to continue to use a trio of backs led by junior Cordera Eason along with true freshmen Brandon Bolden and Enrique Davis. Eason and Bolden have picked up 261 and 219 yards, respectively, through five games, while McCluster has added another 175. Key for Ole Miss will be run blocking along the offense line. If the Rebels can establish a running game, it should put pressure on the Gamecock defense that should open up some passing opportunities.
Advantage: Ole Miss
<!--Start FloridaTebowPressure250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/695799.jpg', '695799.jpg', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Greg Hardy gets pressure on Tim Tebow - key for an Ole Miss win over Carolina will be defensive line pressure and contain', 'Dave Childers', 1223038787000, 'FloridaTebowPressure250', 1036, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=252>
695799.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Greg Hardy gets pressure on Tim Tebow - key for an Ole Miss win over Carolina will be defensive line pressure and contain</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End FloridaTebowPressure250 Image-->Ole Miss passing versus the South Carolina secondary: After struggling against Samford and Vanderbilt, Snead rebounded with a nice game against Florida including an 86-yard touchdown strike to junior wide receiver Shay Hodge late in the game on what turned out to be the game winner. While Snead's performance wasn't flashy - nine of 20 for 185 yards with three touchdowns (one rushing, two passing) and one interception - perhaps what he didn't do was more important than what he did do. He didn't force passes and made all the right decisions as far as taking losses or getting rid of the ball when the play wasn't there. It was the improvement offensive coordinator Kent Austin was looking for. Still, there's been times this season where not only Snead, but the offense, has struggled in the passing game. The Rebels come in respectable, however. They are currently at No 60 in passing offense, accounting for 231 yards a game, but face a South Carolina defense that has been stingy on defense, giving up just 105 yards a game and ranked second nationally among Division I teams. Key for the Rebel passing game likely will be establishing an effective running game that causes the Gamecock secondary to loosen its coverage on Rebel receivers in favor of run support.
Advantage: South Carolina
South Carolina rushing versus the Ole Miss ground defense: Concerns for Carolina headed into the season were along its offensive line and having a featured back. Through five games, that concern is glaring in the running game with the Gamecocks coming in at No. 91 nationally in rushing offense at 122 yards a game. The leading rusher is senior tailback Mike Davis with 54 carries for 254 yards and a touchdown. Ole Miss enters the contest ranked at No. 43 giving up 119 yards a game on the ground. The challenge for Carolina will be a Rebel defensive line that is very deep, talented, and finally, healthy. The Rebels threw a defensive line rotation of about 10 players at Florida with little to no drop off in talent, when for example, former five-star recruit Jerrell Powe replaced former four-star recruit Ted Laurent at nose tackle. Now a near full speed, All-American Greg Hardy along with freshman All-American Marcus Tillman (now a junior) and former four-star defensive end Kentrell Lockett were obvious disruptive forces at defensive end and appeared to hang on Tebow on just about every play. Linebackers support in stopping the run has been excellent with former JUCO transfers Tony Fein, Ashlee Palmer and Patrick Trahan improving greatly over the course of the season.
Edge: Ole Miss
<!--Start VandyWildRebel250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1036/694447.jpg', '694447.jpg', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Look for Ole Miss to continue to run the Wild Rebel with Dexter McCluster playing quarterback', 'Dave Childers', 1223038896000, 'VandyWildRebel250', 1036, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
694447.jpg
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Look for Ole Miss to continue to run the Wild Rebel with Dexter McCluster playing quarterback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End VandyWildRebel250 Image-->South Carolina passing versus the Ole Miss secondary: Despite giving up 319 yards to Tebow and Percy Harvin (13 catches for 186 yards) at Florida, Ole Miss enters the game ranked No. 71 in pass defense, giving up 219 yards a game through the air. With a three quarterback rotation, South Carolina is ranked No. 56 in passing offense, good for 220 yards a game. Among the three quarterbacks, Chris Smelley leads the group with 77-of-125 passing for 844 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions and apparently will draw the start on Saturday. Redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia saw the most action last week against UAB, completing 13-of-20 passes for 131 yards and rushing for another 86 yards. The junior tandem of tight end Jared Cook and wide receiver Moe Brown are the top targets with 19 catches for 262 yards and 18 for 267, respectively. While pass defense was to be an area of concern for Ole Miss headed into the season, the effort has been helped considerably by a defensive line that has applied pressure to opposing quarterbacks. Former offensive players Marshay Green and Jeremy McGee have successfully made the transitions from wide receiver and running back, respectively, to cover corners. The Rebels will likely be without true freshman Marcus Temple, a key contributor on special teams and rising nickel back who was one of the heroes of the Florida win with his first hit on Tebow on fourth and one late in the game. The stuff gave Ole Miss the win. He is nursing an ankle injury and is questionable for Saturday.
Edge: Even
Special Teams: Both teams feature solid kickers who are ranked in the Top 50 nationally, the Rebels' Josh Shene is five of six on field goals on the year while Ryan Succop is ten of 12. The Rebels' punting has been inconsistent at times, but senior punter Rob Park followed a short punt last week with a couple of nice punts that helped the Rebels with field position. Justin Sparks has done an admirable job in placing kick offs from sideline to hash mark that has aided the Rebels coverage. Ole Miss had 151 return yards against Florida and 208 against Vanderbilt with db]Mike Wallace[/db] being a major threat on kick of returns for Ole Miss. On the downside, Ole Miss has given up over 200 return yards in their last two games.
Edge: Even
Weather forecast: Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 81F. Winds light and variable.
Broadcast information: TV: The South Carolina-Ole Miss game will be televised on a pay-per-view basis in the state of South Carolina. It will also be available throughout the rest of the country as part of ESPN's GamePlan package. However, the game will be blacked out in the state of Mississippi and in Memphis. The CSS replay of the game will be Sunday at 1 p.m. CT (Richard Cross, play-by-play; Harry Harrison, color analyst). RADIO: Ole Miss Radio Network (David Kellum, play-by-play; Pete Cordelli, color analyst; Stan Sandroni, sideline reporter). XM Satellite Radio channel 201. WEB: OleMissSports.com will provide live audio through RebelVision, live stats and an in-game blog. The official Rebel athletics website will also provide a full game recap, a photo gallery and live post game video.

Back