SoonerBS' Week #5 Plays

• Thread starter Thread starter SoonerBS
  • Start date Start date
S

SoonerBS

Like Yanks said in his thread, we have one night off this week (Wednesday) and then it's football for a week and half. Great time of the year for a football fan! I had a break out week last week and came away with some good money. On to this week -- I'll have write-ups as the week goes along but I wanted to get these up now:

Southern Mississippi -4 (2 UNITS) w

Florida -13 W- My reasons for playing Florida and Auburn are similar.Last week I faded both these programs because they were coming off BIG wins and playing lesser opponents with better opponents upcoming. That is known as a "sandwich" situation. The time to play them is NOT after they come off a BIG win, but 2 games from the win. That would be where we are playing them here.

Last year, BAMA won this game 31-3. BUT, let's face it here -- this is not the same BAMA ball team that held the field last year. Last year's team may have struggled at times on offense, but they led in all categories defensively. This season they are middle of the road at best in all categories. Florida, on the other hand, has taken over the role as defensive leader. And, we all know what they are capable of offensively. It's time for revenge here, and there is no better place for it to take place than in the swamp!

Auburn -8.5 (L) - Note the situational play from Florida above. Match that with the fact that S. Carolina has not been impressive in anything this year so far. USC has not beat a quality opponent yet, and has for the most part played a soft schedule. Auburn got to rest a lot of their players last week against Buffalo and should be fresh for tonight's game. Everything about this game points to a play on Auburn or "no play." I got a great early line and look forward to an easy cover here.

Miami -14 L - I've been amused by some who say Houston will score against Miami. That may be true, but will 10 points from Houston allow them to cover? I don't think so -- especially whenever you consider that Houston has one of the worse defenses I have seen this season! Last week in Houston, Houston played their toughest opponent to date in Oklahoma State. OSU has a much improved offense (although their defense still sucks!), but that doesn't excuse the fact that they were able to go up and down the field at will against Houston. That was a game where Phil Steele predicted it best -- the team that has the ball at the end of the game will win. Lot's of offense against inferior defenses.

Yes, Houston has a squirrelly, sandlot type offense. But, Miami, who has one of the best defenses in the country and has played a schedule of very tough competition so far this season, has had two weeks to prepare for this meeting. Not only will they be the toughest defense that Houston has had to face by FAR this season, but Houston will have to play this game IN Miami! Miami has a lot of pent up frustrations to let go of here and it will not be pretty for Houston.

Navy +3 (3 UNITS) W- First off, can anyone say they have been impressed with UCONN this season? Has anyone noticed who they have played and who has beat them? Now add to that the fact that you have a Navy team coming off a loss where they are 12-1 ATS coming off losses, and they are bringing the #1 rushing offense in the country to play an untested UCONN team! Navy's discipline and experience will be too much for UCONN here and Navy will win this one SU!

Nebraska -20 L- Revenge and a sorry Kansas team that has lost their defensive stars and swagger from last two years. That's all you need to know about this one. Last week was a "quality" win for Kansas. Quality in the sense that all wins will be few and far between for this team this year. Now, they have to go to Lincoln . . . . .

Rice +11 W- You know, there are a lot of "angles" to consider and play in college football. Ideally, you'd love to find plays that will meet every handicapping criteria and angle, but let's face it, if we waited for that we would likely only be making about 4 plays a season. My reasoning for this play is this: Rice is dedicating this entire game to their lost comrade who passed away last Sunday. Emotions should be running high, and they will have an opportunity to finally be able to do something against a team they can actually play with. I'm not disrespecting Army's accomplishments this season, but should they really be laying 11 points here?

Miami (OH) +10 L - Two teams that have had about the same success this season and I'm playing the one who is getting DD points.

Arkansas St +8 W - Whenever the Sun Belt teams start playing each other, I like to bet the team that has the better defense and is catching more than a TD. ASU fits the bill here.

Air Force -13 W - This will be the third week I have faded New Mexico after being bit by them the last two times. I know this may not make a lot of sense from a capping standpoint, but I have followed Phil Steele's *4 plays almost religiously over the last two years and have won some great money! This is his *4 play this week.

Colorado +16 (2.5 UNITS) W

Washington St +17 W

Iowa +7 L

Notre Dame -14 (2.5 UNITS) P

Tennessee -13.5 W

Iowa State -16 (2 UNITS) L
Good luck, dudes!!
stpatrick2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
BS.. Card looks good. Probably tail you on a few.
OT..sorry about the KU/S.Florida game. Who would have thought Barmann would have a career day.

GL this week Den and kudos on your Tulsa pick last week, you got me on that one (damn missed XP in OT) took away my chances with Navy getting the ball first in the 2nd OT.

Den...
You see that big reverse line movement for byu/tcu? as of late, late last nite...all the plays were on tcu, yet the line fell to 4.5...though it came back to 5 today.

great value on auburn sooner. will be against u on atleast 1 play, so good health to ya but good luck on tha others an lets see another fuckin week like las week. get money

Yanks26Sox6 said:
Den...
You see that big reverse line movement for byu/tcu? as of late, late last nite...all the plays were on tcu, yet the line fell to 4.5...though it came back to 5 today.

BYU is still underated and I don't know why. It's like everyone knows that but Vegas. BYU has proven they can play with tough opponents on the road. I think they can win this one SU!!

den- nice going last week :wacka wacka: you almost had that teasr also.

I was without computer from Tuesday till Sunday as we have moved about 30 miles from old home.
Good friend with Pinnacle account put in twelve plays for me and I went 5-6-1 , with one of the losses being Penn State. :hairout:
I had no time to study, no resources available, and no Division 2 games on my card, so I really can't complain.

Like your Navy play. UConn is likely to change QBs this week, in case you didn't know.

GL --- bull

bull said:
den- nice going last week :wacka wacka: you almost had that teasr also.

I was without computer from Tuesday till Sunday as we have moved about 30 miles from old home.
Good friend with Pinnacle account put in twelve plays for me and I went 5-6-1 , with one of the losses being Penn State. :hairout:
I had no time to study, no resources available, and no Division 2 games on my card, so I really can't complain.

Like your Navy play. UConn is likely to change QBs this week, in case you didn't know.

GL --- bull

Penn State screwed you over, Bull, for sure. I played a Div 2A game last week for a DIME -- ok, part Div 2A and part Div 1A.
evillol.gif

Moving sucks, bull. Moving sucks.

Bull-do you have a link for the UConn QB switch? If Bonislawski actually gets in there, UConn has a much better chance of beating Navy than they originally did. Bonislawski is merely below average, whereas DJ Hernandez is horrible.

uconn qb switch

IT WAS IN THE LOCAL PAPER YESTERDAY. iT WASN'T DEFINITE, AND bONISLAWSKI WAS ONE OF TWO POSSIBILITIES MENTIONED , but I forget the other name. And Hernandez wasn't ruled out.

Why doesn't Connecticut ever recruit players with good 'ole Southern names like Billy Bob Jones or Bubba Hill or something? LOL
evillol.gif

I'm hoping UConn does start to get players like that. When I graduate college this year, I plan on getting UConn season tickets from here on out, so I'd love to see the program continue to grow. I think they are doing ok, now...but they still have a loooong way to go.

I looked up the Hartford Courant and Randy Edsall is expected to announce the starter today. He is apparently deciding between all three guys, Hernandez, Bones, and Dennis Brown (who I know very little about). Either way, I'm going to ride out my Navy +3 bet...but I'll feel a lot more confident if we're going against Hernandez or even Brown.

Haven't looked into the last 2 but certainly agree of the first four plays bro. :shake:

Looks like we'll be watching the same games this week!

:cheers:

Sooner--How high do you go with Miami? When do you bite (if you bite) on Cal? UGA -17?

Thanks, bud.

I'm not playing Cal/OSU because I can see good reasons to take both.

RJ, I think Miami up to -18 is good. I just think this spot is great for a superior team to kick the dogshit out of an inferior team. All the situations point to it.

I'm not playing Georgia. I hope a lot of the guys on here cash who are playing them, but personally, I have concerns about their offense. Until I can see them play some quality teams and produce consistently, I'm not going to play them.

And, yes, I know you were already thinking this in your heart and you're right -- Sooners will be the dominant team on October 7th and will send the Longhorns crying back to Austin.
sgrin.gif

Thanks, Sooner.

SoonerBS said:
And, yes, I know you were already thinking this in your heart and you're right -- Sooners will be the dominant team on October 7th and will send the Longhorns crying back to Austin.
sgrin.gif

This will be Exhibit A when they take your license away for drug abuse.

UConn hopes to ignite offense by switching to Bonislawski

STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut quarterback Matt Bonislawski has regained the starting job following a poor performance by sophomore D.J. Hernandez in the Huskies' win over Indiana. Coach Randy Edsall announced Tuesday that Bonislawski, who started seven games last year but missed time with a broken collarbone, will get the start against Navy on Saturday.
"I'm hoping that he can go in and move the ball and generate more points and not turn the ball over," Edsall said. Bonislawski, a senior, has completed 86 of 169 passes for 858 yards with six touchdowns and seven interceptions in his career. "I think I have to bring the confidence back," he said Tuesday. "Guys looked pretty unsure of themselves. Everything's got to be faster. It seems like we're going in slow motion sometimes."
Hernandez completed 5 of 13 passes for just 27 yards with two interceptions and a lost fumble in the 14-7 victory over Indiana last Saturday. Hernandez beat out Bonislawski and sophomore Dennis Brown for the starting job in the preseason. But Hernandez has thrown for just 373 yards as UConn has started 2-1. On Saturday, UConn started eight drives at its own 45-yard line or better, but managed just one offensive touchdown. The Huskies converted 4 of 19 third-downs and had three turnovers and a blocked field goal. Hernandez hurt his left wrist during the first half.

from watching the Uconn game last week, I think a lot of their problems stem from the offensive line, or lack there of...they couldn't open too many holes for Caulley and Hernandez didn't have much time to throw...taking my chances with Navy and the points here...

smh212 said:
Nice number on Southern Piss. You gonna buy back?

I did that on West Virginia whenever they played Maryland. Although I got close to a middle, in the end I still paid the juice. I'm going to ride this out, I think it's a winner!

SoonerBS said:
Like Yanks said in his thread, we have one night off this week (Wednesday) and then it's football for a week and half. Great time of the year for a football fan! I had a break out week last week and came away with some good money. On to this week -- I'll have write-ups as the week goes along but I wanted to get these up now:

Southern Mississippi -4 (2 UNITS)

Florida -13

Auburn -8.5

Miami -14

Navy +3

Nebraska -20

Games I'm watching lines on and plays I'll likely make:

BYU

Iowa

Good luck, dudes!!
stpatrick2.gif

How dare u go agan my TIDE......What the F#&# does Florida have?? Oh, yeah......REVENGE......Think we can hang, here, denny....

There was NOT reverse linemovement on the BYU game. its been reported there injured starting QB will play. Not the one who played vs Utah State. Forget the 1st names one is John but the funny part is they are unrelated and both named Beck. It was a line adjustment based on this news.

Congrats on all the winners there tonight, guys! Winners on both sides of the ball according to what line you got.
beer.gif

I've added Rice +11 to the list of plays, guys, I'll explain later.

Shamefully with that kids death I think they mighgt be distracted. I had actually circled that as a nice fade situation but havent really checked the game. I think 'death' is very hard for a bunch of 19 and 20 years old to deal with. I cant see them being focused and the head Coach seemed a bit lost on that situation. Just my two cents

SportsNut said:
Shamefully with that kids death I think they mighgt be distracted. I had actually circled that as a nice fade situation but havent really checked the game. I think 'death' is very hard for a bunch of 19 and 20 years old to deal with. I cant see them being focused and the head Coach seemed a bit lost on that situation. Just my two cents

Almost seems mean to bet against them, the key word being almost.

I missed that Auburn early line bad and it was one of my fave plays. Honestly just forgot to bet it. Hopefully doesn't bite me in the ass getting in at -13.

Den, love your card this week. I'm seriously playing everyone of those you have including the two leans. GL to us! I think Rice will hang around as 11 is way too many for Army to be laying to anyone!

You guys talking about how Rice will be unfocused, I can understand what you are saying, but did anyone read the article yesterday on Yahoo about the entire team deciding to go ahead and play this weekend -- dedicating the entire game to to this kid who died? That's similar to what Northwestern did in their opener this year and New Orleans did against the Falcons Monday night!

I'll ride the emotion to a cover.

Horn, I did get lucky getting that line early. If the line makes it up to -16, it's going to be very difficult for me to sit back and not "buy it back" for a middle opportunity.

Moot, good luck to us, dude!
beer.gif

Yeah I agree Sooner. its one of those spots were is it motivation or distraction. I thought the HC was kind of lost for words and lost to explain the situation to the media. If he cant explain to the media I wondered how could he as the leader of that program relate it to his team. I know a stretch by me and by no means do I have a true feel for this game( Army as chalk is a headache in itself). I just thought it would be a tough spot.

Like Cubsker said its almost mean to fade them. Like Tony LaRussa said on Monday though after Edmonds was cleared to play earlier in the day and hit a PH 3run HR to tie the game if this was a movie we would have won. Unfortunately it wasnt.

I think NO won cause ATL is the same Falcon squad we moan about year in year out and poeple dont realize the Saints are a decent team. Nothing like overarted ROAD CHALK backed by the publicA. lso Nwestern has laid some eggs this year losing to 1 AA school( i think) and sneaking by EMU.I think they beat Miami Ohio cause Miami stinks and cant score not cause of emotion. Just my opinions on the situation. You made it clear hwy you liked them so I fgure I would tell ya my side. GL

I've updated my plays for the week and note the fact that I added more UNITS to Navy +3. I think Navy wins this one SU Saturday. Navy, Army and Air Force, being military schools, are all very disciplined after coming off losses. Air Force is 12-1 ATS off a loss right now and they go play a UCONN team that has not played a lot of talented teams and took a loss against Wake Forest. UCONN has had to forsake their usual passing game and rely more on the run. Navy is better at stopping the run than UCONN will be. AND, although they stopped Indiana's run game effective enough to get eek out a 14-7 win, they have not seen anything like Navy's #1 run offense this year! I love this side!

Sooner, It is a little concerning that Navy was barely able to beat UMass on the road. UConn can play some defense. I just don't see this as a big play game.

They played UMASS at home and UMASS is ranked #2 in the nation in Div. 2A according to Keeper's ratings. UCONN had a big blow out of Rhode Island. Know what RI is ranked? #64 in nation Div. 2A.
grins.gif
Helmut, UCONN hasn't played anybody yet. Navy's quality schedule will do them more service going into week #5 than UCONN's will by far. Navy's only road game so far? A 37-9 shallacking of Stanford -- all the way across the continent! Also, Navy doesn't have any injury issues while UCONN does.

UCONN might be able to play some defense, but we don't really know if they can do it against a quality team because they haven't played on yet.

smoke.gif

Rice +11 - You know, there are a lot of "angles" to consider and play in college football. Ideally, you'd love to find plays that will meet every handicapping criteria and angle, but let's face it, if we waited for that we would likely only be making about 4 plays a season. My reasoning for this play is this: Rice is dedicating this entire game to their lost comrade who passed away last Sunday. Emotions should be running high, and they will have an opportunity to finally be able to do something against a team they can actually play with. I'm not disrespecting Army's accomplishments this season, but should they really be laying 11 points here?

I understand the death angle but Northwestern has had simliar issues with their head coach and they've been spinning their wheels since the season started.

You've got Army at home with a 2-2 record against the floundering Rice squad (0-4) that has some of the worst run defense I've seen in a while. The Rice D gives up an average of 430 yards and 247 of those to the run. The problem for Rice, among other things, is that running the ball is Army's strong suit with 141 average rush yards a game. Out of 7 offensive touchdowns for Army 6 have come from the rush.

I'd like to know who schedules for Rice because for such a shitty team they play one of the toughest schedules to start a season with Houston, @UCLA, (@)Texas, @FSU and now another road game.

Another reason I really like Army is a stupider one though. I was playing in the US Poker Championship up in Atlantic City the other day and a really good player, who ended up finishing in the top 5 of a $180K tourney was sitting at my table early on. I got talking to a kid with a Rutgers sweat shirt on about spreads and shit like that and this guy told me about the Army game and gave me a full rundown of why they were going to win. He wasn't advocating a bankroll play but his bookie gave him -9 and he had taken it Tuesday.

So take it for what it's worth and good luck with your play but a team avenging a dead player seems like for of a reason to fade Rice. Did you know that Rice's enrollment is under 5,000 students?

SoonerBS said:
They played UMASS at home and UMASS is ranked #2 in the nation in Div. 2A according to Keeper's ratings. UCONN had a big blow out of Rhode Island. Know what RI is ranked? #64 in nation Div. 2A.
grins.gif
Helmut, UCONN hasn't played anybody yet. Navy's quality schedule will do them more service going into week #5 than UCONN's will by far. Navy's only road game so far? A 37-9 shallacking of Stanford -- all the way across the continent! Also, Navy doesn't have any injury issues while UCONN does.

UCONN might be able to play some defense, but we don't really know if they can do it against a quality team because they haven't played on yet.

smoke.gif
Navy's win over UMAss by one point is more impressive than UConn's dismantling of URI. All 3 teams are in my backyard.
I'll be pulling for you to cover that Auburn spread tonite, den. Then tomorrow I should be able to focus on the importnt stuff. Been thoroughly occupied with moving into new quarters, and just got back from a two day business trip to Freeport Maine.
I'm seriously considering the Canuck thing for this week-end.
GL bull

Scourge, thanks for the input, dude.
beerchug.gif
For 1 UNIT, I'm willing to take the points and the risk.

Bull, good luck with the system! Who are you on tomorrow night?

Guys, I have added 3 more plays including a 2.5 UNIT play on Colorado. I may have about two more plays max before Saturday. I'm looking at another Div. 2A play and a possible play on Rutgers.

Back