Some really sad and unfortunate news....

sportfanatic71

Pretty much a regular
Redskins' Sean Taylor shot in S. Dade

Posted on Mon, Nov. 26, 2007

Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --><SCRIPT language=Javascript> function PopupPic(sPicURLx, sHeight, sWidth) { var sPicURL = "/news/breaking_news/v-morephotos/story/320910.html"; y=Math.floor((screen.availHeight-sHeight)/2); x=Math.floor((screen.width-sWidth)/2); window.open(sPicURL,"slideshow","width="+sWidth+",height="+sHeight+",top="+y+",left="+x+",scrollbars=auto,resizable=yes").focus(); } </SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
NICK WASS/AP PHOTO
Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor escapes the grasp of Detroit Lions tackle George Foster on Oct. 7 during a game at FedEx Field in Landover, Md.
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
  • <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/non_image_assets.comp --><!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/non_image_assets.comp -->
<!-- no polls to display -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --><!-- story_videobox.comp --><!-- /story_videobox.comp -->
Sean Taylor of the Washington Redskins was shot and wounded early Monday by an intruder in his home on Old Cutler Road in South Miami Dade.
Taylor, a former University of Miami star, was airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Details were sketchy about the shooting.
According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that a homeowner had been shot in the leg. The homeowners told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.
The male homeowner went to investigate and a female in the house then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found the victim, with a gunshot wound to the groin.
The shooting happened at 18050 Old Cutler Rd. County property records list it as the address for Taylor. It is a four-bath, four-bedroom house with a taxable value of $704,297.
<!-- story_mapbox.comp --><!-- /story_mapbox.comp -->

its really serious...this fucking sucks...my fav play since drafted from miami.. hope they hang the bastard who did this

That is sad and unfortunate news and I hope everything turns out ok

But before we go rushing to any judgment about hanging the bastard that did it, lets not forget Taylor isnt exactly a saint - this is the same guy that has been charged with felony assault with a firearm in the past.

Yeah, this one is tough, because it's not like that guy's ever really won a 'good guy' award. Still, you never want to see this happen to somebody.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

yep, an unfortunate incident and I hope he makes a full recovery.

The question I would ultimately want answered though is if he knew the intruder or not.

This begs the question what was he doing in miami? Did he go from tampa bay game to his miami home?

I don't think it "begs the question" at all.

Taylor did not travel with the team to the game in Tampa because of his knee injury. And he lives in Miami, thus he wasn't in DC all week.

Are you trying to imply something with your post?

absolutely unbelieveable...by far my favorite player and this just absolutely sucks ass. And for those who think this isnt serious, its life threatening. Hes listed as critical condition and when you severe the femoral artery you begin to lose blood fast. Please continue to post any new updates on this matter as I will do the same. Prayers are with 21

His attitude completely changed when he had his kid, he's not the same thug that he was coming out of college. Someone broke into his house and shot him, no one deserves that. He was in Miami at his house because he's recovering from an injury. It isn't abnormal for players to go home when they're injured. This is awful

This is just total speculation...MSNBC reported he was sleeping with a female guest when they both heard a noise in the house. Taylor went out to check out the noise and was shot.

Now the injury is in the groin area and police are not suspecting a burglary or home invasion. Just a guess but Sean Taylor got caught with another woman and got shot in the balls by his current girlfriend/spouse/whatever.

What kind of man would break in and shoot another man in the groin area?

PS I wish him the best and a speedy recovery...

:prayerSean Taylor:prayer

As an Eagle fan I hate to admit it but I love watching this kid play and Im really hoping he can fully recover from this:prayer

jesus that is unbelievable....well actually it doesn't surprise me one bit. He was a thug coming out of college and everyone knew this. I got a feeling there is a crazy story behind this incident. People just dont go busting into million doller houses and shoot someone randomly. Sean did do something to bring this on himself. Why wasn't he in washington rehabbing?

Regardless there will be some answers to come, my prayers are with him and his family.

And lets face it, people get shot everyday. More than half of you in here wouldnt give three shits if the guy didnt play football.

how the hell does somebody just walk into his crib and fire shots at his leg? hes got no body guards or people over while he rehabs?

hope he make it

jesus that is unbelievable....well actually it doesn't surprise me one bit. He was a thug coming out of college and everyone knew this. I got a feeling there is a crazy story behind this incident. People just dont go busting into million doller houses and shoot someone randomly. Sean did do something to bring this on himself. Why wasn't he in washington rehabbing?

Regardless there will be some answers to come, my prayers are with him and his family.

He was getting a second opinion on his knee moron

for those who say he has changed as a person... do you know him personally?

or are you taking the word of guys like, say.... Clinton Portis?

You know... the guy who defended Mike Vick.

I am sad to see this happen but one must wonder about the situation.

I seen C.S.A.H said they had to revive him twice and he is in a coma, if that is the case, I am speechless and saddened and I hate to speculate on why this happened but here goes.

He lives in a 700k house, most likely in a nice neighborhood. This most likely was not a random event and most likely is someone who targeted Taylor because he had money (see Jonathan Joseph who was tied up in his own house in Houston) or they had some beef with Taylor which should be no shock to anyone. I am positive the shooter didn't know if they shot him where they did that they would put him in a Coma so its possible if this was a B&E turned bad, they panicked, shot him in the leg and left. If this was an intended robbery with a gun from someone who had problems previously with Taylor, why didnt they finish him off after the 1st shot.

He was getting a second opinion on his knee moron

I'm a moron? I can understand why you are upset but i'm no moron. No you got that one wrong....this is a moron

And its only assumed that he went the Miami for a second opinion, its not comfirmed.

DUI arrest

On October 27, 2004, Taylor was arrested at 2:45am for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol following a birthday party for former Redskins' receiver Rod Gardner. A Fairfax County, Virginia judge later acquitted Taylor of the charges in March 2005, after viewing a videotape of Taylor's roadside sobriety tests that, according to the judge, failed to demonstrate obvious intoxication. Taylor was, however, convicted for refusing to take a blood alcohol test requested of him by a Virginia state police officer. However, when this case was heard on appeal in March 2005, Taylor was acquitted of refusing to take a BAC test, due to lack of probable cause for the request

Now I can understand a DUI arrest, I am lucky to have not gotten one. I've been too drunk to drive and can afford a taxi home. I also do not have a multi million dollar contract where he could have a limo follow him around with all his money. Yet he is stupid enough to jeopardize it all by hanging around thugs like Pacman.

Missing 2005 Redskins mini-camp

In May, 2005, Taylor, seeking a new contract with the Redskins, was the only Redskin who refused to appear for a Redskins' training mini-camp. Redskins coach Joe Gibbs acknowledged that the Redskins had had no contact with Taylor since he returned to Miami in January, 2005, and that he had failed to return repeated phone calls to him by Gibbs and other Redskins' coaching staff. Despite his legal and other difficulties, though, Gibbs has defended the drafting of Taylor, calling the preparation that went into his selection one of the "most researched things in the history of sports."

Why did he want another contract? He just got into the league and wants a new deal already. He has fired 2 agents because its their fault he count get a new deal. Are you sure the Redskins did enough research on that?

Arrested for armed assault

Events:
  • On June 3, 2005, Taylor was named publicly as a "person of interest" by Miami-Dade County police in regard to a Miami assault case involving firearms, and was being sought for questioning. "We need to speak to him, we don't know if he's a victim, witness or suspect," Miami-Dade police spokesman Mary Walters said. Taylor allegedly was present at, and possibly involved in, an incident on June 1, 2005 in Miami, in which bullets allegedly were fired into a stolen vehicle.
  • On June 5, 2005, ESPN and The Miami Herald both reported that Taylor, accompanied by his lawyer, surrendered to Miami-Dade police at approximately 10pm ET on June 4 at Miami's Cutler Ridge district police station, where he was transported to Miami's Turner Guilford Knight correctional facility. He was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, a felony, and misdemeanor battery.
  • On June 5, Miami-Dade police issued a statement indicating that Taylor had been arrested for aggravated assault with a firearm (a felony) and battery (a misdemeanor), for allegedly pointing a gun at a person over a dispute over two ATVs that Taylor claimed were stolen.<sup class="noprint Template-Fact"> </sup>Taylor then allegedly left the scene, but returned shortly and punched one person.
  • The Associated Press reported on June 5 that Taylor was held in detention at Miami's Turner Gilford Knight correctional facility and released the evening of June 4 after posting bond of $16,500. The Miami-Dade County Clerk's Office announced that Taylor would soon be officially arraigned on the charges
  • he Washington Post reported on March 3, 2006 that Taylor's trial has been postponed until April 10, 2006. Days before that date, the trial was moved back once more, this time by a week, because of conflicts with Passover and Easter celebration
Plea agreement and resolution
  • On January 28, 2006, the Miami-Dade County prosecutor announced that he was filing new charges against Taylor, which would have increased his potential maximum jail time from 16 years to 46 years
  • The new charges include increasing his felony assault charges from one to three, which reflects the allegation that, on June 1, 2005, he brandished a firearm at three individuals who Taylor believed stole two all-terrain vehicles from him.
  • The trial was again postponed on April 17, 2006 (to May 8, 2006), after the prosecutor in the case asked the presiding judge to be removed from the case. The County prosecutor's request for removal from the case came as Taylor's defense lawyers argued that the prosecutor was using the case to promote his side-work as a disc jockey in South Beach. Defense lawyers for Taylor entered a motion for the case's complete dismissal, due to prosecutorial misconduct
  • On May 8, 2006, the prosecution requested and received yet another extension of the case, citing the new prosecutor assigned to the case and a need for additional preparation time. It was scheduled to begin July 10, 2006 in Miami. On June 2, 2006, however, the charges against Taylor were dropped as part of a negotiated plea bargain. Taylor donated his time to various charities and made $1,000 donations to 10 southern Florida schools in scholarships and, in exchange, will avoid jail time and a felony record.
He sure is lucky he is in the NFL and has all that money and lawyers at his disposal.

Last edited:
And lets face it, people get shot everyday. More than half of you in here wouldnt give three shits if the guy didnt play football.

Pretty much none of us would give a shit if he didn't play football, because no one would know about it. I don't think it's wrong to feel a little more emotionally invested when you see the guy play every Sunday, wear his jersey, etc.

What would you be saying if this was TO that got shot? Would you not care because he has a fucked up past? I don't think anyone should be passing any judgment on what happened when no one knows anything. All we know right now is that someone that a lot of people on this board appreciate got shot and might die. We should save the speculation until he's ok.

Well TO didnt get shot, and he doesnt have a history of violence and armed assault. So i would be surprised if that happened.

All I am saying is that there is more to this story. It doesnt make sense at all. Did somebody put a "hit" out on Sean Taylor? Why didnt he get capped in the head? Why was it only one shot? How did the shooter break in and know that Sean was there?

There are just way to many questions and based off of his past history I am not surprised. I dont know what is wrong with what I say. This has nothing to do with me being a Dallas fan at all, that is irrelevant to this tragedy.

being shot in the groin at close range is not a normal act of random violence... sounds domestic to me..

Hope he recovers and can ID the shooter.

I watch enough CSI to remember that B & E's usually happen through the backyard.

Initial report said he went to the disturbance so it wasnt like the intruder saught him out, it could very well be the intruder thought the house was empty, alarmed to see somebody come down / who knows if Taylor went at him et.

Lots of possible explanations though, all we can do is hope he gets better and makes it through this.

His lawyer just came out and gave a statement:
Taylor's lawyer and family friend, Richard Sharpstein, said Taylor emerged from surgery in better shape and will likely live. He is in intensive care and doctors have allowed his family to see him.

That's the first good news I've seen.

It's unbelievable to me that this story hasn't been mentioned on ESPN since I've been watching it for the last 2.5ish hours. If this was some other elite player ESPN would be all over it, it's disappointing. Even if it was a guy like Ray Lewis who killed a guy, it'd be wall to wall coverage. Sean Taylor was in the running for the Defensive Player of the Year. There have been more ESPN Deportes updates then Sean Taylor updates.

i'm watching comcast sports network here locally and that is all they are talking about. A lot of worries and speculation but not much information on how he is doing.

They just said he is in a coma, out of surgery but still unconscious. The report is the Taylor "will likely live."

That quote was recently replaced in the miami herald article with this quote:
"Sharpstein said Taylor, 24, emerged from surgery about 12:30 p.m. but had lost a lot of blood and remained unconscious, possibly jeopardizing his brain. He is in intensive care and doctors have allowed his family to see him."
That is a really scary edit.

yea that it was poor decison making to go to miami during the season instead of staying in DC.

Dude, that is not true. Don't take it from me, the Redskins beat writer Jason La Canfora from the Washington Post wrote in response to emails he was getting about the same question. Notice that he said that Taylors home had been broken into previously, these athlete's houses are obvious targets becuase the guys are rich as hell and are never home. Here's his post:
Some people have emailed me or called unsure of why Sean was not with the team, so I figured I'd clear that up if necessary while I have a spare minute between phone calls.

As is the norm, the Redskins do not require many injured players to travel with the team. Sean Taylor, recovering from a knee sprain, receiver James Thrash (ankle) and fullback Mike Sellers (back) were all left off the trip and did not make the team flight to Tampa Saturday afternoon. Again, that's normal for injured players. Those not making the trip - a group that always includes practice-squad players as well - are essentially off for the weekend, and have to report back to Redskins Park Monday for the beginning of the work week.

Now, part of the reason why those injured players are not traveling with the team is to avoid excess travel. No sense constricting legs and ankles and risking swelling to these kind of ligament strains in the air. So, ostensibly, flying would be frowned upon in this case. However, we do not know all of the details yet. According to an earlier Miami Herald report, neighbors of Taylor say there have been multiple robbery attempts on his property recently, and, just guessing here, that could have had something to do with why Sean was down in Florida.

He was with the team at Redskins Park for the team meeting and walkthrough that day, and obviously traveled to Miami after that.

Also, there were some reports earlier in the day that Sean was in Florida to get a second opinion on his knee. I have chatted with several people here, including team officials, who said that if he was in Florida for a second opinion it was news to them

Guys,

Keep it cool in this thread. No need to nitpick with each other.

Kid has had a troubled past so people will obviously make links.

Everyone just hope he recovers and such.

Also, there were some reports earlier in the day that Sean was in Florida to get a second opinion on his knee. I have chatted with several people here, including team officials, who said that if he was in Florida for a second opinion it was news to them

So am I still a moron SF71? His own team didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I knew before I clicked on this thread that I was a moron to do so, and some of you in here have proven me correct.

I would fathom that a few in this thread are borderline thrilled about this, and its sickening.

It's easy to act like this gangster lifestyle is ok online, and I know some of the people making these comments are about 18, but its not how the world works. Whatever Taylor did, the right approach isn't to break into his house when his baby is home and shoot somebody.

And I don't buy the burglary thing...they know Taylor is only around these 2 weeks, why wouldn't they wait for him to go back to Washington...

So am I still a moron SF71? His own team didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Yes I would say you still are a moron. His team did know what he was doing in Fla and it WASN'T getting a second opinion on his knee, which is why it said if he was it would be news to them. I am pretty sure you can read so where do you get that Washington didn't know what the hell he was doing?

Sweet i'm still a moron!! And you are? Can you read?

So his own team said that if he were in FL for a second opinion it was news to them. So then what the fuck was he doing in Florida?

Back