So...when does Favre sign with the Vikings?

ESPN was ruined well before Farve Watch '07, '08, or '09 started. But it is a good point.

I'll tell you who this helps, though, and that's Detroit precisely for the reasons the three posts above this one point out.

Look at the QBs in that division now, is there anybody who realistically expects the Lions to compete for that division? Even in Michigan? I doubt it. This gives them at least a year to sit Stafford on the sidelines and have him learn the game.

The NFC South has 1. Brees 2. Delhomme 3. Ryan and a #4 to be named by TB later. Individually and collectively I would take those three over the NFC North QB's.

WERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

SUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll

I just threw up in my mouth

What a bum. I really can not believe he is thinking of going to the Vikings. His hatred for Ted Thompson must be on a level that is unprecedented.

I'm assuming it stems from there meetings last year, when Brett wanted to play and Ted chose to go with Rodgers.

Some positives about this would be from a competitive point of view, that Brett would give 150% every game, because he wants to prove Ted Wrong.

Alot has been said about him in NY, and how he was and played. I think its obvious, he never wanted to go there. And its obvious where he wanted to go to get at TT and thats Minnesota, ala GB putting in the no trade clause to Minny with the Jets.

Yes this fucks over his legacy in GB, but I really don't think he cares about that, when ted told him he was going with rodgers.

IMHO this meeting would not be playing, if Favre was not going to be wearing purple next year.

Why i like this is because it would be A.) the biggest sports story in almost 20 years in Minnesota, and B.) to piss of all of the GB packers fans. No offense Signal on a personal level, but the hatred for each other that Minny and Wisky fans have is huge.

"the defense with 8 in the box... favre takes the snap...play action to peterson.. quick slant to harvin.. breaks a tackle! to the 30.. 20... 10.. 5... touchdownnnn"

"the defense with 8 in the box... favre takes the snap...play action to peterson.. quick slant to harvin...throws it behind him...the corner steps in...picks it off...breaks a tackle! to the 30.. 20... 10.. 5... touchdownnnn"

Fixed it for ya.

:shake:

The good news for Minny is this might finally force through that stadium they're trying to get. That hasn't passed yet, has it?

If im a vikings fan I dont want this. If im on any team in the NFL, I dont want this. First of all the impending media blitz, if they signed him or dont sign him, is not worth it. Second of all, the Jets got lucky they got Sanchez, but they still wont be good this year, bringing a guy like him in is a good way to get a franchise back to sqaure 1. Why would would you want to bring in a QB, who you know will stay 1, maybe 2 years if youre shit out of luck. I can promise you the Vikings wont win the Superbowl with him or Sage Rosenfel or whoever the hell they have. Third of all, he just wasnt very good last year. I mean he was ok, he beat some decent teams, but he didnt get them into the playoffs in a division that wasnt exactly great. But you can argue that he was the reason they didnt make the playoffs. His countless mistakes. I mean there were a few times where he just got plain bullshit lucky. Then the guy that the Jets cut because of Brett, (Pennington) actually did take his team to the playoffs, in the same division. Bringing in a guy who just wants to throw the ball also wont be good for AP, one of the best halfbacks in the lead, you will be taking carries away from him, is this something you want? You want Brett throwing Pick 6's rather then AP taking it to the house?

I dont think that the NFC North will be really that bad, honestly I dont. Bears will be better with Cutler, Forte in a second year. I think I expect Aaron Rodgers and the team to get better, and then I really dont think the Lions are THAT terrible. They have some decent additions and im sure they will be competitive and they will put together 6 or 7 wins. By the way, the Lions, even as shitty as they were, were pretty close to beating the Vikes last year both times.

Taking a QB his age, who you are planning to start from Day 1 (or else he wouldnt sign) is a huge mistake IMO, but thats just my .02.

disagree with you alex. if AD has a QB that defenses are even the least bit afraid of he may get 50 less carries but just as many if not more yards. sure favre is turnover prone and not what he used to be but hes still 10x better than sage and tavaris. i want this to happen for a couple reasons. first of all i think minny could be a real exciting team to watch. second i hate how much man love there was/still is for favre from packer fans and would love to see it disappear.

if you're the vikings you have to do this. it puts you in the playoffs and gets fans real excited. and who doesnt wanna see favre back in green bay as a viking?

If im a vikings fan I dont want this. If im on any team in the NFL, I dont want this. First of all the impending media blitz, if they signed him or dont sign him, is not worth it. Second of all, the Jets got lucky they got Sanchez, but they still wont be good this year, bringing a guy like him in is a good way to get a franchise back to sqaure 1. Why would would you want to bring in a QB, who you know will stay 1, maybe 2 years if youre shit out of luck. I can promise you the Vikings wont win the Superbowl with him or Sage Rosenfel or whoever the hell they have. Third of all, he just wasnt very good last year. I mean he was ok, he beat some decent teams, but he didnt get them into the playoffs in a division that wasnt exactly great. But you can argue that he was the reason they didnt make the playoffs. His countless mistakes. I mean there were a few times where he just got plain bullshit lucky. Then the guy that the Jets cut because of Brett, (Pennington) actually did take his team to the playoffs, in the same division. Bringing in a guy who just wants to throw the ball also wont be good for AP, one of the best halfbacks in the lead, you will be taking carries away from him, is this something you want? You want Brett throwing Pick 6's rather then AP taking it to the house?

I dont think that the NFC North will be really that bad, honestly I dont. Bears will be better with Cutler, Forte in a second year. I think I expect Aaron Rodgers and the team to get better, and then I really dont think the Lions are THAT terrible. They have some decent additions and im sure they will be competitive and they will put together 6 or 7 wins. By the way, the Lions, even as shitty as they were, were pretty close to beating the Vikes last year both times.

Taking a QB his age, who you are planning to start from Day 1 (or else he wouldnt sign) is a huge mistake IMO, but thats just my .02.

Alex I agree with alot of what you have said....the thing I disagree with is...Minnesota has a Pittsburgh esque defense that is actually starting to get really old. They are in the position to win NOW. With that said, many have said QB is the only position lacking.

No it has not, and im not sure it will....but this wont hurt

Then this is a major reason you do this.

Look, my opinion on Farve has come around to what sort of seems to be the majority. He's obviously totally self-centered and only all about himself.

You look at that interview he did when he retired (this time) and he said he'd "never" ask the Jets for his release, because they'd been soooooooooo good to him, he just couldn't do it. Yeah, well, turns out he did it. Twice.

But Minny can use him just like he's using them.

No matter what happens this makes them a playoff candidate all year. That mean all the more interest and it will get bandwagon fans off the sidelines. That's what gets stadiums done, public pressure. And if they were to go to or win the SB? Forget about it.

One of the things nobody remembers about the Denver Broncos replacing Mile High Stadium was that the vote for their new stadium ended up happening right after they won, I believe, their first SB.

Guess how long that thing took to pass.

at this point i don't even care, just reinforcing my opinion of him... in terms of the vikings, think it helps a bit more than it will hurt... but depends how AD reacts

Tough to retain much respect for Trent Dilfer when Brett Farve lies to him, flat out, then Trent goes on ESPN the very next day and says "that's OK, he's earned the right to change his mind as much as he wants."

Thing is, he may have earned the right to change his mind--I think you can argue we all have that right. But that has nothing to do with being a flat out liar.

I turned on ESPN about 30 minutes ago and sportscentre has had 40 seconds of highlights and 29 minutes and 20 seconds of talking about the Childress/Farve meeting

I wonder if their 'undisclosed meeting location' is Dick Cheney's bunker. They have to be renting that thing out by now, right?

I mean, what else are they supposed to do with it?

meeting is tonight, and tomorrow in Mississippi.

Hear there gonna skip rocks in Favre's pond to test his bicep.

Alright, Favre gets A LOT of hate amongst the people I know. And I understand it. But I never really hated the dude. But now, if he signs with Minny, I officially jumped on the Favre Hate Train. I can't even list all the reasons.

favre to stay retired

Believe it when you see it. One thing everybody seems to agree on this is that Farve doesn't want to do OTAs and mini-camps.

So unless that's a deal-breaker for Childress, this whole thing just gets kicked down the road a little bit.

Source: Favre rebuffs Vikings, will stay retired
By Rick Schwartz, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 44 minutes ago
Buzz up!
Print
The Minnesota Vikings will not sign free-agent quarterback Brett Favre(notes), a source close to the team told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

In a phone call that took place sometime in the last day, the source said Favre told Vikings coach Brad Childress that he wanted to remain retired. Favre is expected to publicly explain his decision soon.

Favre, who announced his first retirement in March 2008 after spending 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, decided to resume his career last summer and was traded to the New York Jets in August. After one season in New York, Favre retired again and was subsequently released by the Jets on April 29.

Just days after his release from the Jets, speculation began that the Vikings were interested in bringing in a veteran to compete with Sage Rosenfels(notes), who was acquired this offseason from the Houston Texans. Rosenfels is atop the depth chart heading into training camp, with Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty(notes) also on the roster.

thats where i got the news as well. Yahoo is a ok source, but once werder or someone else says the same thing I will still hold out hope.

Thank the lord. I really did not want to hate the guy for the rest of my life. If he would have went to Minny, I really don't know if he would have been ever welcome back in Green Bay.

Back