So...when does Favre sign with the Vikings?

Smokedawg

Eagles Fan
Jets Officially Release Favre
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 10:07 p.m.

Wow.

On the same day we speculated that the stage could be set for the Second Annual Brett Favre Retirement to be followed by the Second Annual Brett Favre Unretirement, the Jets threw the NFL world a curve ball by releasing Favre from the reserve-retired list.

Per Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets announced the move Tuesday night.

The move means that Favre is an unrestricted free agent, free to sign with any team.

Including the Minnesota Vikings.

Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last year, but the Packers refused to grant him an unconditional release. At one point, the Packers accused the Vikings of tampering with Favre, based on communications between Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darell Bevell and head coach Brad Childress. (The charges were found to be unsubstantiated.)

Green Bay held firm in its position, and Favre ultimately accepted a trade to the Jets. Under the terms of the deal, the Jets would have owed the Packers three first-round draft picks if they had traded Favre to the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.

The Jets reportedly declined to release Favre in February, when he retired for the second time in less than a full year.

“[Agent] Bus [Cook] and Mike [Tannenbaum] have been talking about this for a while,” Favre said in a statement. “Nothing has changed. At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football.”

But unless Favre is planning to sign a one-day contract to officially retire (again) with the Packers, there’s no reason for the Jets to make the move if Favre has no intention of returning to football.

Our guess? Once Cook sufficiently and successfully pestered the Broncos to trade quarterback Jay Cutler to the Bears, Cook embarked on an effort to pester Tannenbaum to release Favre, if for no reason other than to clear out any potential impediments to the wild gray hair that might crawl up Brett’s butt in the next month or two.

The next step for Cook? He’ll start pestering Bevell and Childress to start pestering Brett to provide the final piece for one of the most talented teams in NFL history at every position except the one that counts the most.

Report: Favre Asked To Be Released Twice
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

Though retired (for now) quarterback Brett <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_27_0">Favre</nobr> claims that his recent release by the Jets doesn’t mean that he’ll be playing football again in 2009, the facts paint a different picture.

As we pointed out last night, the act of releasing Favre’s rights has no meaning, unless Favre plans to bury the hatchet with Packers G.M. Ted Thompson as part of a ceremonial one-day retirement contract. (Then again, the only hatchet-burying Favre would ever be doing with Thompson would involve the burial of a hatchet by Favre in Thompson’s silver-haired head.)

So what gives? Per Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, Favre asked to be released twice — most recently after the Jets landed Mark Sanchez in the 2009 draft.

As Hutchinson tells the story, citing an unnamed source, Favre believed that with Sanchez on the roster it would be easier to force his way out.

And the Jets wisely opted against the same kind of drama the Packers endured last year, especially with their quarterback of the future on the roster.

Thus, even if Favre could prevail in a showdown with Mike Shanahan’s lie detector test regarding the quarterback’s current intention not to return to pro football, Favre and agent Bus Cook at a minimum seized upon the local eupohria resulting from the arrival of Sanchez in order to put the pieces in place for a Second Annual Brett Favre Unretirement, if/when Favre gets an itch that only playing football on Sundays in the fall can scratch.

I cant wait till we're playing the Vikings in the NFC title game and we're up 27-24 in the waning moments and Favre attempts a quick out to Percy Harvin that Asante Samuel steps in front and takes to the house to set off a raucous celebration amongst the 65,000 rabid fans in the Linc

I cant wait till we're playing the Vikings in the NFC title game and we're up 27-24 in the waning moments and Favre attempts a quick out to Percy Harvin that Asante Samuel steps in front and takes to the house to set off a raucous celebration amongst the 65,000 rabid fans in the Linc

Funny, two years ago that would have been Lito's greatest moment. Now it'll just be another playoff touchdown for Asante.

Frankly, though, as much as I want to see this happen, I think we all know it'll be a hanging jump ball picked off somewhere between the 40s.

One that should be caught by Brian Dawkins but will likely be picked off for a kneel-down by Sean Jones.

Oh, and if Brett Farve comes back this time, can anybody really respect him?

Even the hardcore Farve fans?

i'm tired of this guys shit!! fukn retire already!! how many times is he going to hold a press conference and cry about retiring!!??? I think we are at 7 already

Even myself, a huge Favre supporter for everything he did in Green Bay, will lose all respect if he comes back out of retirement again and signs with the Vikings. The thing is, I believe all he wants to do is stick it up Ted Thompson's ass and show him he can still play while beating him twice a year in the division. But even the huge Favre supporters still think they should have kept Favre and let go of Rodgers. Thats how stupid these people are. It is not even close right now who is the better quarterback.

Even myself, a huge Favre supporter for everything he did in Green Bay, will lose all respect if he comes back out of retirement again and signs with the Vikings. The thing is, I believe all he wants to do is stick it up Ted Thompson's ass and show him he can still play while beating him twice a year in the division. But even the huge Favre supporters still think they should have kept Favre and let go of Rodgers. Thats how stupid these people are. It is not even close right now who is the better quarterback.

if we were all in favre's shoes, we'd all do the same thing. come back and stick it to the guys who fucked us over... amazingly, this applies to real life situations also. :36_11_6:

And if, by the way, he comes back, both he and the media will sell the story that the Vikings came to him and said, 'just one more time, Brett, just give it one more shot.'

They'll try to play it as something heroic, some sort of Willis Reed moment, when it's nothing more than self-serving self-indulgence.

The thing is, I dont understand how we fucked him over. He is the one that was fucking the Packers over if anything. I don't think he comes back though, so this is all a moot point imo

I don't want Brett Favre, I want Derek Anderson.

Fixed it for you.

=)

Actually, JP, I have been on record with that statement. Rooting for Favre would be so impossible, but Sage=Derek imo, so we're even at this point.

LMAO if they sign Favre. Poor Tarvaris. Sign TWO qb's to come in the offseason. :36_11_6:

:seeya:

1.) I want favre for just this reason
2.) but we really don't need him to beat you twice a year.

Sig

Favre gave you 13 season's, Rodgers has given you 1 season that padded his stats because your defense was so attrocious. Saying Rodgers is better than Favre right now, even though Favre is at his worst in his career, is just absurd.

:tiphat:

You are nuts if you do not think Rodgers is better than Favre right now. Rodgers as of today does everything better than Favre as far as what a QB needs to get done. Arm strength, accuracy, mobility. The only thing he obviously lacks is the experience.

speak for yourself homer

I will, but I spent 15 years waiting for some rookie defensive end to come around the corner to go low on Favre just so the Vikings would have a chance.

Ask a Red Sox fan how they'd feel if Theo traded for Derek Jeter.

Plane Flies From Minneapolis To Hattiesburg, And Back Again
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

It probably means nothing.

But, let’s face it, Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport is hardly a major hub of transportation.

Only five flights arrived there today, and only six departed.

One of the arrivals came from Minneapolis, and one of the departures headed back there.

The plane from Minneapolis arrived at 9:11 a.m. local time, and left at 4:14 p.m. local time.

It probably has nothing to do with one of the more famous residents of Hattiesburg. After all, he’s retired from playing football, and he has no intention of coming back.

Favre said so himself. “It’s all rumor. [There’s] no reason for it.”

Oh, wait. That was last year, when Favre shot down in early July talk that he wanted to come back.

Since he was telling the truth then, he’s surely telling the truth now.

I will, but I spent 15 years waiting for some rookie defensive end to come around the corner to go low on Favre just so the Vikings would have a chance.

Ask a Red Sox fan how they'd feel if Theo traded for Derek Jeter.

Agree, but nothing would feel better than walking into Lambeau and having Favre wearing purple.

To be honest I'm happy with what we have now. We have wanted Sage for some reason the last 2 seasons, and we finally got him. Let's at least give him a chance.

i can't believe packers fans feel that way...i wouldn't give a rats ass what he did after he left...he gave everything he had and pretty much carried your organization on his back with his leadership for how many years and won a title and got you a lot of playoff memories...who cares what he does now when he's half way to 80? he's not going to win a title anywhere else and he'll always be remembered as a packer.

spoiled fuckin fans in their championship cities lol

I'll start the next rumor.

Mangini really likes his ability and he's coming to Cleveland in June!

You read it here first, on CTG!

Childress Says Vikes Will Discuss Favre
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2009, 6:06 p.m.

With Brett Favre unattached and eligible for conversation without those annoying tampering allegations, coach Brad Childress acknowledges that the Vikings will at least be discussing the 39-year-old quarterback.

“We haven’t [talked about Favre],” Childress said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “It doesn’t mean we won’t. We talk about everything from what’s going on in the United States on the front page today. . . . We talk about everything. So, yeah, I’m sure we’ll talk about that.”

It doesn’t mean that they’ll pursue Favre. It only means that they’ll be talking about it.

“I think the thing there is we’ve had our heads down so hard here on the draft and then after the draft signing free agents and after that getting ready for this minicamp,” Childress said. “I go through the waiver wire every night. [But] we haven’t really even had a chance to even talk about that. Our focus has been on the guys we sign and getting ready for this and then just finishing up the draft stuff.”

But the head coach’s position is far different than “we’re not interested,” even though owner Zygi Wilf said just that in February 2009.

I would be seriously shocked if he doesn't come back. Shocked. He's like Jordan. These guys love the game, and the chance for glory, too much. It's like a drug. They gotta be pulled out of the game kicking and screaming. Only thing they know how to do, only way they know how to live.

Report: “Favre Can’t Stand Green Bay”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2009, 4:05 p.m.

Though plenty of folks continue to accept at face value the same “I ain’t comin’ back” message that a certain quarterback was communicating as late as early July of 2008, the signs point to the Second Annual Brett <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_29_0">Favre</nobr> Retirement becoming the Second Annual Brett Favre Unretirement.

Why? Favre reportedly still wants revenge on the Green Bay <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_30_0">Packers</nobr>.

“Favre can’t stand Green Bay,” an unnamed league source told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “He wants to play Green Bay and say, ‘I told you so.’ His bitterness is creating this. I think he’s calling Minnesota. I think Minnesota is talking about this as we speak. You haven’t heard the end of Favre. No way. He is bionic. As long as somebody will let him in, he will play.”

With him at QB, I would say the Vikings might be the favorite for the NFC. Very good OL and the best Running back in football, to go along with a capable defense would be great. Although they do still have Childress as the coach so that sets them back a whole lot

With the attitude Favre has it is no wonder why some Packer fans hate the s.o.b.

What's even more amazing is that it's not as if he doesn't have a good role model.

I do NOT like John Elway, but just look at the way that guy's career ended. Sure, there was the SB. But beyond that, when he walked away he did a lot of smiling and baby kissing and to this day--just like in Miami with Marino--they still ask what it's going to take to replace the guy.

He's a God.

And Farve, with every move he makes, makes it easier on Aaron Rogers to succeed and easier for the fans to forget him.

Source: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing
<cite class="source">By Ed Werder
ESPN.com
Archive </cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->
Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.
<!--NEW:-->
There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.

Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.
<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (BEGIN) -->
<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (END) -->While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

BREAKING NEWS on Sportscenter...Favre to talk to childress.

I fucking despise brett favre. go the fuck away. seriously go the fuck away,

What a bum. I really can not believe he is thinking of going to the Vikings. His hatred for Ted Thompson must be on a level that is unprecedented.

This is fantastic

Hes going to the Vikings

Theyll be all good for a little while

Everyone will be on his nuts

and then he'll throw some mind blowingly dumb interception to crush their season

Its what he does

Though I dont give a shit about Favre coming back...the inevitable never ending coverage on ESPN needs to stop before it starts

that shits annoying

NFC north = best QB conference?? Greatest of all time, Highest paid of all time, and 2 emerging stars in cutler and rodgers

Yeah thats a hell of a conference for QB. How would you rank them right now if he did end up coming to Minnesota, I would go.
1. Rodgers
2. Cutler
3. Favre
4. Culpepper

I know the Cutler/Rodgers debate is very close and would like to hear some arguments about that one. Both young, athletic QB who have proven they can play in the league. I just really like the accurace and mobility of Rodgers although Cutler has a cannon.

And I also hate this whole thing because it now hijacks Sportscenter until he either signs or says he is not coming back. Favre this, Favre that, for half the damn show

Back