So, what have we learned? - NFL Week 1

The Bills are now officially thin at corner for the rest of the month after losing CB Stephon Gilmore to wrist surgery. They'll get guys back eventually, but not soon.

So the question is, after what you saw from them yesterday, are you confident they will be able to score points in their next three games?

[h=1]Opening Line: Vegas reacts to NFL[/h] [h=3]Week 1 gambling reactions and examining Week 2 early line moves[/h]
Updated: September 9, 2013, 11:56 AM ET
<cite class="source"> By Dave Tuley | ESPN Insider</cite>

nfl_g_manning_gb3_576.jpg
<cite>Ronald Martinez/Getty Images</cite>Eli Manning and the New York Giants didn't cover against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night.
LAS VEGAS -- There was a surreal scene at the LVH SuperBook here right around 4:30 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday.
The Packers-49ers and Cardinals-Rams games were still in progress, yet it was time for the LVH to post its opening NFL lines for the upcoming Week 2. After 6½ thrilling hours of wall-to-wall pro football with a standing-room crowd in the race and sports book proper and more than 1,000 more fans/bettors in the LVH Theater, the business of moving ahead to next week's card couldn't wait -- even though there was action on the current day to be completed.
And that's what this new Monday morning column here on ESPN Insider will be all about. Even though we'll still have a Monday night game to complete the current week (and in today's case, two games), we're going to plow ahead by looking forward. I'll start by giving my takeaways from the weekend's action from a gambling perspective, and then we'll apply those lessons to next week's games, as well as examine the early line moves. We'll also look at any injuries that have affected the lines or kept games off the betting boards.

[h=3]Takeaways[/h]
1. Parity is alive and well
Everyone talks about parity in the NFL and how "any team can beat any other on any given Sunday," but when it comes time for casual bettors to place their wagers, it seems they forget that mantra. Standing in the betting lines at the LVH making last-minute wagers (and this was true in the dozen other Vegas books I visited over the course of the weekend), all the surrounding chatter was about the teams people were using in their parlays and the most common phrases heard were "the Patriots are going to blow out the Bills and their rookie QB," "the Jets are the worst team in the league and are going to get crushed by the Bucs," "the Raiders can't keep up with Andrew Luck and the Colts," "the Seahawks are for real and are going to run over the Panthers," and so forth. But as we all saw, parity is alive and well and most bettors were left humbled on a day that went well for the bookmakers.
Underdogs went 5-4-1 ATS in the early games with three outright upsets -- the Titans, 17-9 as a 6-point dog to the Steelers; the Jets, 18-17 as a 4-point dog to the Buccaneers; and the Dolphins, 23-10 as a 2.5-point dog to the Browns (all lines are the ViewFromVegas Consensus Closing Lines that I post in the forums at my website using the Don Best live odds screen at kickoff). The other two underdogs to cover the spread despite losing their games were the aforementioned Bills and Raiders, and both nearly pulled the upsets that would have eliminated millions of survivor-type pool players. By the end of the day, faves and dogs split 6-6-1 ATS (and faves held an overall 7-6-1 ATS edge if including the Broncos win and cover on Thursday night), but several more of those could have gone to the dogs. Chad Millman posted on Twitter that "8 of 12 games today were within a score of going either way ATS in last 5 minutes of 4th quarter." The Giants-Cowboys game made that 9 of 13, so never forget that the point spread is the great equalizer and that routs aren't foregone conclusions.
2. Scoring lower than many expected
All we've been hearing and reading about heading into the season is how the NFL is a "quarterbacks' league" now and how offenses will dominate with all recent rule changes helping passing games. So what happened in the early games Sunday? The unders went 8-2. Again, it's important to know that the bet-takers see the same thing everyone else sees, and a quick look at the Week 1 totals showed that oddsmakers had already inflated the totals based on this perception that scoring would be out of control. Only the Bucs-Jets game had an over/under that was lower than 40 (closed 39.5), and I don't ever recall seeing that before. The trend reversed with the two "afternoon" games (here in Vegas) going over as well as the Sunday night game, so unders lead just 8-6 heading into Monday night, but bettors should realize that overs aren't automatic bets even if you assume it's going to be a shootout.

[h=3]Off-the-board report[/h]
This is the section where I'll discuss which games are off the betting boards in Vegas. This is usually due to a major injury (especially to a quarterback) but could also be due to a team considering a QB change or other factors that make the oddsmakers uncertain of where to set the line.
However, the LVH put up all 16 lines for Week 2. There were relatively few injuries around the NFL during the Sunday afternoon games, and Jay Kornegay said none of them were significant enough that a number couldn't be posted. The biggest adjustment he pointed to was the ESPN "Monday Night Football" battle with Pittsburgh visiting Cincinnati.
The LVH posted the Bengals minus-6.5. Last week in the advance line the LVH posts on Tuesday, the Bengals were minus-3. The biggest part of the adjustment was Pittsburgh's embarrassing 16-9 loss to the Titans as a 6-point favorite, but the Steelers also lost Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey for the season. Kornegay said the loss and the injury might not have moved the line so much, but they moved it even more because of how "awful" (Kornegay's word, not mine, but I agree) the Pittsburgh offense looked, gaining only 195 yards with 60 of those coming on their lone TD drive against a prevent defense.

[h=3]Early line moves[/h]
Here are the openers from the LVH. Let's look at how we got to those numbers, how they've moved in early betting and how they might move during the week. While the biggest part of winning at football is picking winners, it's just as important to be able to read the market and know when to place your wagers to get the best number. Shameless plug: See my "Top 10 gambling tips" piece on ESPN Insider from last week (No. 7 was that you'll usually want to bet favorites early and underdogs late, but knowing which way the line is likely to move is invaluable).
[h=4]LVH Week 2 openers[/h] Jets
Patriots -11 (Thursday)
Chargers
Eagles -6.5
Browns
Ravens -6.5
Titans
Texans -8.5
Dolphins
Colts -3 EV
Panthers -3 EV
Bills
Rams
Falcons -6.5
Redskins
Packers -6
Cowboys
Chiefs -1
Vikings
Bears -6.5
Saints -3
Buccaneers
Lions -1
Cardinals
Jaguars
Raiders -5.5
Broncos -4
Giants
49ers
Seahawks -3
Steelers
Bengals -6.5

Jets at Patriots (Thursday): This line was Patriots minus-12.5 last week but obviously was adjusted downward after the Patriots struggled to beat the Bills (they won 23-21 on a late field goal but didn't cover the 10-point spread) and the Jets beat the Buccaneers 18-17 as a 4-point home dog. By the time the Cowboys-Giants game ended Sunday night, the LVH was holding the line at 11, but the Wynn was at 12.5 and the William Hill chain was at 13 (and most offshores at those numbers as well). I expect this line to keep climbing but not go any higher than 13.
Chargers at Eagles: This line was Philly minus-6.5 last week, re-opened 6.5 and looks solid (though obviously could be impacted by either team's performance Monday night).
Browns at Ravens: This also looks solid at Ravens minus-6.5. It might have gone lower if the Browns hadn't lost 23-10 to the Dolphins as 2.5-point closing favorites, but they did.
Titans at Texans: This is in the "dead area" between 7 and 10 points at Texans minus-8.5. It'll probably stay there unless the Texans really put in a clunker on Monday night (in which case it will drop closer to a TD) or if they look overly impressive (in which case it could move closer to double digits).
Dolphins at Colts: This is a solid minus-3 for the Colts at even money. This isn't likely to move to either 2.5 or 3.5 all week, so lay the lowest odds you can on the side you like.
Panthers at Bills: Similar situation here with the Panthers minus-3, even, on the road. Both teams played well in losing efforts to elite teams. This is more likely to dip to 2.5 than rise to 3.5, so this is one dog you'd want to back early and one fave you might be better off waiting on.
Rams at Falcons: This opened Falcons minus-6 or -6.5 most places here and offshore, but we saw movement toward a touchdown, so chalk players should lay it before it gets to 7, while dog bettors should wait. I'm assuming this move is due to bettors thinking the Falcons should have beaten the Saints (on the road), while the Rams beat a worse team in the Cardinals and at home, so it wasn't as strong a performance.
Redskins at Packers: This looks like a pretty solid Packers minus-6, though William Hill made it -6.5. This could move a little depending on how the Redskins look Monday night.
Cowboys at Chiefs: This was pick-em a week ago, but the LVH upgraded the Chiefs to minus-1 after their blowout win at Jacksonville. After the Cowboys' win Sunday night, Kornegay said he thought he might raise it to minus-1.5 or -2 if Dez Bryant is out (he was injured late in the game).
Vikings at Bears: This looks like a fairly solid Bears minus-6.5 with William Hill and some offshores at minus-6, so I'd expect it to dip instead of rising to a full TD.
Saints at Buccaneers: If you like the Saints, you'd better lay the minus-3 before it's gone. Late Sunday night, several books were already at minus-3 (with -120 attached to it) while the Wynn was already at minus-3.5. With the way the Bucs lost to the Jets and the Saints holding off the Falcons, this is almost certain not to stay at a field goal.
Lions at Cardinals: This line was the Lions minus-3 last Tuesday and we've seen it adjusted downward to Lions minus-1, but it looks more likely to drift back up than to see a change of favorites.
Jaguars at Raiders: This was Raiders minus-3, even last week at the LVH, and the offshore book CRIS went with minus-3.5 after the Jaguars' ugly 28-2 loss to the Chiefs and the Raiders' narrow (and spread-covering) 21-17 loss to the Colts. The LVH countered by going even higher at Raiders minus-5.5, but all of the early money has been coming in on the Raiders and pushing it to minus-6. It's going to be hard for bookies to find anyone willing to back the Jags, so it wouldn't be surprising to see this keep climbing.
Broncos at Giants: Peyton Manning's seven-TD performance in the Thursday night opener moved this number from Broncos minus-3 last Tuesday to minus-4 on Sunday afternoon. But after younger brother Eli's six-turnover performance (OK, they weren't all his fault, but in this brother-versus-brother battle, that's the way it's going to be viewed), don't be surprised to see this number drift higher, especially since William Hill already made it minus-4.5 before the Giants' game. This should be the case of "bet the favorite early if you like it/bet the underdog late."
49ers at Seahawks: In Week 2's other marquee matchup, this one on Sunday night, this number has been Seahawks minus-3, has continued to be minus-3, and while I think the juice will be adjusted (and some books have shaded it toward minus-3, -120 on the Seahawks), I don't think any book will go off the key number.
Steelers at Bengals (Monday): As discussed above, this has been the biggest movement from the advance line. Normally I'd say that this can't be adjusted any further, especially since the Steelers have been a far more public team than the Bengals, but there are already indications that this could be moving to a full TD. That's how ugly the Steelers really looked. If the Bengals had held on to beat the Bears, we'd probably already be there.
So there's the first look at the Week 2 lines. See you Friday with Tuley's Take after we see the market settle on all these games.

Excellent as always JP - thanks for the thread!

Quick notes from watching the bengals/bears game.

1. Re-tooled oline for the bears finally gave Cutler time in the pocket, this unit has only played together for a few weeks so barring injuries they should get better.
2. Coaching staff made 2nd half adjustments - Lovie always seemed to be stubborn in this department he went in with a gameplan and whether it was working or not he never changed in game. In 1st half yesterday offense was very vanilla and then opened it up in the 2nd half once they were down 11.
3. Bears offense is still very raw and you can see the work in process but the potential is there to put up some big point totals once things are clicking.
4. Just get the ball to Marshall he and Cutler are on another level in terms of chemistry.
5. Tillman playing CB - seeing him and Green go at it yesterday was terrific. AJ Green is on another level more on this later, love watching this kid play.
6. Robbie Gould nailing 58yd fg WTF??!!??!

Dislikes:
1. Bears pass rush was non-existent (where was Peppers?) and Bengals were missing their LT
2. Forte looked apprehensive (could be learning curve on offense)
3. The game plan on stopping Green - single coverage for the most part and that doesn't work against that guy.
4. Bengals TEs being open a lot - linebackers unit needs some work Briggs appeared to be forcing things and missing a lot of tackles.
5. TE Bennet too many drops and penalties - the same problem they had last year with Kellen Davis.
6. Kickoffs that go out of the endzone - league has taken away Hester weapon with that rule.
7. Bengals had I think 3 scoring drives of longer than 80 yards.

Bottomline - bears defense will still create turnovers but the lack of pass rush coupled with the offense eventually gelling and you have a nice recipe for future overs.

Bengals appear to have a nice offense that should have no trouble putting up points especially against teams within their division (none of the AFC north secondary's will be able to keep up with the bengals).......only a matter of time before Bernard takes away BJE's primary role.

Coulda had a souvenir cup!

DETROIT, MI – SEPTEMBER 08: Joseph Fauria #80 of the Detroit Lions celebrates a fourth quarter touchdown while playing the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field on September 8, 2013 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

[h=5]Filed Under[/h]97.1 The Ticket, Sports,Stoney & Bill, Syndicated Local, Syndication

DETROIT (WWJ) There are kids in Latvia who have no souvenir cups at all, so it may be a petty complaint.
But it’s a complaint nonetheless.
<iframe name="adsonar_serve297759" id="adsonar_serve297759" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" width="260" height="410" src="http://ads.adsonar.com/adserving/getAds.jsp?previousPlacementIds=&placementId=1557448&pid=2728767&ps=-1&zw=260&zh=410&ssl=false&url=http%3A//detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/09/09/lions-outed-for-re-using-2012-souvenir-cups-at-opening-game/&v=5&dct=Lions%20Outed%20For%20Re-Using%202012%20Souvenir%20Cups%20At%20Opening%20Game%20%C2%AB%20CBS%20Detroit&ref=http%3A//t.co/sF6KJ024xA&metakw=97.1%20the%20ticket,sports,stoney%20%26%20bill,syndicated%20local,syndication," style="margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block;"></iframe>
The Detroit Lions sold snazzy souvenir cups at their opening game Sunday, and if they looked overly familiar, you weren’t imagining things.
They were the same cups as last year. That’s right, they sold $7 drinks in cups with 2012′s schedule emblazoned on them.
Watergate? More like Soda pop gate. The re-gifting of sorts was noted by ESPN’s Darren Rovell, who was sent a Twitter picture of the cup displaying last year’s schedule.

going to post my thoughts b4 reading any other posts
1. brandon weeden sucks, i watched a bit of the cle/mia game and when he drops back to pass I am afraid he is going to throw into coverage or fall over his own feet.

2. terrible job by the refs to let SF replay 3rd down on the offsetting penalties but there was no reason for clay matthews to do a jimmy superfly snuka at kaepernick and hit him when he was out of bounds. had all day to lay off

3. this WR controlling the catch or whatever rule annoys the fuck outta me. Calvin Johnson caught a pass near the 1 yd line, dove across the endzone line and then hit the ground n the ball moved.. its a fucking catch
if a RB runs it from the 10 yd line dives and crosses the goal is a td

4. fuck mike perriera, cant stand seeing his face on tv

5. Atlanta, terrible playing calling at the end of the game, 1st n goal from the 7. why would u have steven jackson running pass routes as he gets hit in the facemask by a matt ryan pass that should have been a TD. would have been a TD if u had qizz rodgers in as the pass catching RB in that spot

6. Enjoyed watching Terrel Pryor run around n make plays

7. Bone head LB for TB who hit Geno Smith out of bounds looked like he was crying on the sideline when camera went to him, he should still be crying, idiot

8. luv getting a chuckle watching tom brady attempt to "scramble".

Chiefs open -2.5 in a few places. If you like them I'd wait. Public will pound Dallas IMO

Parity is alive and well

I'm starting to hate this point. A lot. In fact, as I started the initial post of this thread I briefly included the line that I think parity is dead. And if you look you can see where I dialed that back.

To be clear, I do think the playing field is there for it, but I'm not convinced it exists. Not league-wide for a whole season.

You can make the argument for it in Week One. Because teams had all summer to prepare for their opener—at least the style they expected to see. So good for certain teams for being competitive or winning or whatever.

But the way teams are structured and the way the league is officiated right now if you're not putting a quality QB on the field you may have a matchup advantage in a particular week for whatever reason (scheduling, scheme, etc.), but on the whole? Please.

Right now you can pick half the teams that will be in the post season barring serious injury. That's not wrong or right, but that's not true parity.

What that guy witnessed at the window was public bettors being stupid. That is not only old as time, it's also not parity.

Good point, ManU. And thank you. =)

Also, some really good points on the Bears in post #53 from Deuce's, his bottom line is particularly compelling:

bears defense will still create turnovers but the lack of pass rush coupled with the offense eventually gelling and you have a nice recipe for future overs.

Blaine Gabbert sprained his ... foot. So Chad Henne will start Sunday against the Raiders according to PFT.

Jags vs. Raiders. Try to contain your excitement.

I just learned that preseason IS important judging on RG3's and the rest of his team's performance.

Brees actaully didn't have a great day...he looked a lil off to me. Bad pick, and missed Stills which woulda been a TD. Kenny Stills is the deal boys.

ATL abandoned the run and threw wayyy too much.

The amazing thing in this game was the pass rush the Saints got.....Cam Jordan is also really really coming on...dude is all around nice talent.....Outside of Jordan, a bunch of no name guys on the Dline, and they play hard and get more push than a Sedrick Ellis 7th overall

Vacarro also looks to be the deal at safety.....Roman Harper may be 50 years old but he can also shine some in this defense. It was just nice to see some kinda D since the SB years

Also I may finally have to say: Patrick Robinson just doesn't look good. When he rotated in, Matty Gayblade immediately went after him....everytime

Id say S-Jax looked good and rejuvenated....he dropped a crucial ball but he ran hard

Jury out on Saints D, and we all wanna see it on the road. I know this. They are better, but how could they be worse.

Offense needs some tweaking though....Were probably the bests team(or 2nd) in the RZ last year, and they were shit on Sunday. That must be fixed.

I just learned that preseason IS important judging on RG3's and the rest of his team's performance.

Really one half of live football is all it takes to find the rhythm. See Schaub, RG3, Eli.

Apparently that how long it took to figure out how to defend Chip Kelly's and Mike McCoy's offenses too, which is a new record, beating the previous time set by Steve Spurrier.

The Bills are now officially thin at corner for the rest of the month after losing CB Stephon Gilmore to wrist surgery. They'll get guys back eventually, but not soon.

So the question is, after what you saw from them yesterday, are you confident they will be able to score points in their next three games?

Gilmore will be out at least 7-8 games. They were thin at corner already with him gone, but now cb Ron Brooks is out indefinitely with a broken foot. With Byrd quite possibly being held out again this week, the secondary is extremely depleted. DaNorris Searcy will likely get the nod again at safety- he only played half the game vs NE but was great. Pretty sure that will not be an everyday performance though.

I honestly thought with Gilmore out the Bills secondary would get eaten alive vs Brady, but they held their own. How much of that was due to the Pats being without Gronk remains to be seen, but all in all I think the Bills defense performed better than expected. McKelvin, who is prone to boneheaded plays/getting turned around, had a solid game. Justin Rogers who had been the whipping boy pretty much all last season had some big plays. Just so happens Brady/ne wrs came up bigger when it mattered most. Problem is now with Brooks out those are the top two cbs for Buffalo. After that they are all virtually unknowns, and they may have to dip into the practice squad.

All in all the Bills defense played much better than I expected. The first Pats td was off a turnover which gave them the ball at the Bill's 16. The second td came off a fumble giving them the ball at the Bills 32. NE had 2 drives over 50 yards and came up with 3 pts off them.

To answer your question I do think the Bills will be able to score in upcoming games... Spiller had just about as bad a game as he could, but Fred performed, and that was against a very stout Pats run D. I think going forward Spiller only gets better. EJ missed a couple targets (most notably a long sideline pass to tj Graham who had beat his man) but he was elusive and escaped pressure well. All in all I think he had a pretty solid first start- would like to think that they open him up a bit vs the Panthers secondary that allowed quite a bit of passing yards vs Seattle (disclaimer I watched zero of that matchup).

Chiefs open -2.5 in a few places. If you like them I'd wait. Public will pound Dallas IMO

AGREED. Also give KC a fairly big coaching/game-plan edge with Andy Reid being so familiar with Dallas. Chiefs could wind up being a big play on my end. Cheers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Elias Says NFL players threw 63 touchdown passes this week, the highest total of TD passes in any week in NFL history <a href="http://t.co/7T8yHJMQ77">http://t.co/7T8yHJMQ77</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statuses/377345796586217472">September 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I learned that

the Lions are really good. Lions are very dangerous, they totally should of won by a lot more.. Was very impressed with what I saw.

Raiders might be a little better than I thought, Pryor is probably a good fantasy pickup.

Already knew Steelers and Redskins were going nowhere this season, my under win totals look solid.

Geno Smith impressed me a bit. He had a lot of time to pass, I'm concerned about the Bucs pass rush.. But nonetheless I'm one of the few people who actually think he might be a decent NFL starter, I'm rooting for the guy.

(Since 1980, including last night) Opening week MNF faves are 23-21 SU (14-30 ATS) and when favored by 6 and under are 12-20 SU (9-25 ATS)

I learned Amendola is injury prone. Oh.

Also Shady Mccoy when used properly is the best all around back in the league.

Also learned Reggie Bush still has a lot of tread on the tires since he was never really an every down back except that one year in Mia. He is going to be a huge asset in Detroit. I didn't really learn that, Ive been saying it for 5 years..

Jim Harbraugh is a whiny lil kid. LOL this guy is comical and becoming a laughing stock among players.....what a pussy!

I agree about Jim. He built on Stanford on being tough, now he bitches about everything.

BTW this is a great gif.

ELI-MANNING-INTERCEPTIONFACE.gif

still not sold on dallas - you're on the receiving end of 6 TOs yet still only manage to win by 5 at home? The NFC east is wide open at this point. Phil has no defense, Giants with no running game, Wash with a gimpy RGIII and don't know what to make of Dallas.

we learned Von's dumb ass wont be seeing the field anytime soon

Von-500x531.jpg

Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller is in trouble with the law again for the second time in a month. CBS4 has learned the star linebacker was stopped again by law enforcement last week and cited for driving while his license was suspended and speeding, adding to a multitude of legal woes. Miller is suspended for the first games of this season, which besides game checks will cost him $1.25 million in bonus money.

we learned Von's dumb ass wont be seeing the field anytime soon

Von-500x531.jpg

Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller is in trouble with the law again for the second time in a month. CBS4 has learned the star linebacker was stopped again by law enforcement last week and cited for driving while his license was suspended and speeding, adding to a multitude of legal woes. Miller is suspended for the first games of this season, which besides game checks will cost him $1.25 million in bonus money.

might as well put him on IR and get him some real help - either he is going to kill someone or kill himself

wow...i don't remember character concerns on him at all? Am I misremembering? I thought that was considered a strength of his.

Back