Shoutout to Portland..

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
Might need to have a shoutout to the lakers thread real soon ;)

Lets wait and see what happens against the Celtics first, before we go mentioning the Kobes.

Only 6 teams have had a tougher schedule so far this season, and only the Lakers have a better record than Blazers, of those teams.

I agree. Im not anointing Bynum like Throw is. He still has a long way to go.. but hes a lot better than Kwame

I agree. Im not anointing Bynum like Throw is. He still has a long way to go.. but hes a lot better than Kwame

Very true, I've been equally impressed with what Bynum has done the past few weeks. What happens when Kwame comes back, can anyone really rationalize cutting Bynums minutes?

Blazers lose tonight. Wasn't in the 6ers a year or two ago, that came out of nowhere without Iverson, and stopped the Suns who were on a 13 or 14 game winning streak? Maybe I made this event up, I don't know. But I got a feeling the streak ends tonight.

Couple weird things to think about. What many are calling the "turning point" for the season for the Blazers, the moment of realization, was when the Blazers blew a 26 point lead to these same 6ers. Since then, they've turned their season around, and obviously gone on this streak. So what happens when they face them again? Can they get revenge? Is that even possible, when it was themselves that cost them that game? Can the sixers get under the Blazers skin?

I wish Philly was more then 2:1 payout, this line baffles me, how it isn't atleast -8 for Portland, is shocking, I really do not understand the line, which is appears to be begging for portland action, who on this streak, is winning by an average of like 12 points or something. I may put a little on the Philly moneyline and if it loses the streak goes on, if it hits, I make some money.

What are you thoughts abcs, do the Blazers fall tonight?

Yea I dont know if they lose, but I wouldn't bet Portland just for the fact the line stinks. I don't get it at all.. it makes zero sense.

I think you guys are underestimating Philly and there turnaround. Blazers are smoking hot and playing excellent ball probably top 5 in the NBA type.

Philly is 8-4 last 12 . You cant group them with Seattle and Minny they are actually alot better then those teams now. Look at the past 2 games and the lines 7.5 and 8.5..Sixers are at least 3 points then both...

Hard to believe they derail tonight cause they find ways to win. I did play 1st H Philly cause they are only 1-4 ATS in the 1st H on this homestand and that win was due to a nice run before half vs Minny....had to value play the ML though since +160 was fair IMO..

Really like this Portland team but enjoying Philly nearly as much..Good Luck

True Sports..Im not impressed with philly whats the combined record of sac - mia and memphis?

True Sports..Im not impressed with philly whats the combined record of sac - mia and memphis?

I know your not a fan of Philly. Not hard to figure by reaction to the Korver deal. Which I tend to really like since Korvers only use is shooting but there is nothing worse then a shooter who cant make shots. Which is what he is now. He wasnt going to make Philly better this year cause they were playing fine w/o him contributing.

Anyway your right no real big wins. They didnt play poorly versus Boston or LAL though. Portland has played very well but win by win whats all that impressive? Batch of nice wins and playing excellent but they seem to playing the same opponents at the right time. For as talented as Den , Utah ans GSW are they dont play any defense and are extremely inconsistent. Not trying to downplay there accomplishments( cause I did say they were playing like one of the top 5 teams) but just as much as there success can be attributed to heart as timing. Philly has no stars but I like the workmen types in Miller , Iggy , Dalembert , Reggie Evans , etc...

Its nice to have stars but how many stars lead there teams somewhere? NJ must be real happy to have Kidd -VC -RJ but they lack something .

By the way sometimes it just okay to disagree. We have different opinions doesnt make anyone wrong or right..

Hey, Philly is a nice little team for the East, but they aren't particularly good. They are playing nice, but will always get exposed by better ballclubs.

Sports Nut, You talk about how the Blazers have run into teams at the right time, but their strength of schedule is .502 in the last 10 games maintaining a +8 margin of victory, whereas Phillys SOS in the L10 is .388 2nd lowest in the NBA and by a margin of only +4. And their best win against who, maybe an underachieving Cleveland club, or equally disappointing Houston Rockets.

I don't buy the 6ers, that's a once proud franchise who when you really look at the situation, has one maybe 1.5 assets. Outside of Iguodala, and maybe Salembert. What is their to be excited about? Getting Miller off the books as soon as possible? Louis Williams, a guy will never develop, a couple young pieces whose games don't appear to translate (Carney/Young/Smith). This is not a good team, and won't be good for a few years without drastic shakeup.

And about stars, yeah true there are a lot of 'stars', but only one can lead his team to the title each year, and how many teams in the past couple decades have won championships without a star? Maybe the Pistons of recent memory. Yeah not all 'stars' lead their team to rings (Malone/TMac) but they give their team a lot better shot of winning than a psuedo star like Iggy.

Portland should win this game, will they? who knows, the streak has to end at somepoint. But this would be more of an 'all good things come to an end' than the 'better team won'.

:4_17_208: It's pretty amazing to think the Blazers are doing all this as the youngest team in the NBA. If this were the Boston Celtics or the LA Lakers, ESPN would be stuffing this streak down your throat. Instead it's a 30 second clip. To watch this team is simply amazing. I went on Vacation for a week after the GSW game, and came back to a completely different team. This team is unbelieveable, and I've been reserved in my hopes for this team. But lord willing, if this team stays intact, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

(WOW, Outlaw with a thunderous slam, that will be on the top ten tonight, nice way to close an 18-0 run in the 4th quarter)

Thats the point how many better clubs are in the East? I never said Philly was as good as Portland. I said they were better then Ports recent competition Minny and Seattle. The Hawks are a step ahead of Philly but these teams are easier to figure out then some of the others..

Stats are ALWAYS useless if one cannot put them in context. These games were not played using computer simulations. They were played on a court where daily performance varies. Which one of the Port's wins was playing well at the time they meet? They have 2 wins against both Utah and Denver both teams have had issues the past 15 games. Sure on paper they are loaded and when they click they can kick some ass but why they arent ON these teams look like shit. How many road games has Utah won in the past 10? Outside of DET when it was shorthanded? Like I said Portland is playing like a top 5 team and Philly is holding there own. I am not knocking Port by any stretch but your only as good as the tests you take. Do something undeniable go to LAL and beat the Lakers or Boston and taken on the C's.

It looks like they trend will continue Port now 1-5 ATS at Home in the 1st H on this stand 5-0-1 ATS in the 2nd H.

Absolutely agree with ya . Nothing to get excited about except a team that works hard and plays hard. As indivuals they are now worth much. For a team in the East though they could win 40 games and thats not so bad. Never said they would be a good team but a team that competes night in night out. Though I do like Louis Williams as player off your bench. These days role players are lost.

My point about stars is the term is used loosely. If you are a STAR you are leading your team deep in the playoffs but as KG knows you still need help. Why have a bunch of stars surrounded by crap , it will always be a team effort . So you have to build a team and not around 1 player. So if I am Philly screw getting a star keep adding pieces. Alot of blue collar teams win championships but your right you need a go to guy to get somehere.

Why would you be concerned about the better team winning? I certainly dont ever care about the better team only the winning team.That said Port did it again clamped down late 3rd quarter and CRUSHED Philly in the 4th. Just trying to point out something I have noticed ...Port wins the 1st Q loses the 2nd Q and usually half then plays so-so but has OWNED the 4th quarters..

Again never tried to compare Portland to Philly only Philly to the recent teams Port has played....:cheers:

13 in a row, phew. The streak ends more thean likely ends tomorrow though, Jazz showed some life against Boston last night, should be interesting.

Actually this match up was interesting because Phillie and Portland tend to be weak in the 3rd, both good in the first and both good in the fourth. But one was much Better. Great team Portland and the ride is Not over. Wonder if they can make to 4th in the West.

The one caution about thinking about a 4 seed is just as much as they underperformed when LOSING 9 of 10 they may be over performing now. When your Hot it all goes right and vice versa. They have been a team of streaks..4 wins , 3losses ,1-9 and 13 straight..

Utah is such a tough spot because they have beaten them twice recently but going back to Utah and winning again will be a huge accomplishment if they can do it. They wont be catching 14 this time either. Also young team on NYE ..focus? This is also 1st of four in 5 spot.

Be proud of your Blazers...

Philly doesnt really seem to be a good 2nd H team especially away this isnt the time they faded big time after HALF.

Thats a lot of writing to digest, but regardless of whatever funk the Jazz and the Nuggets were in, they are still better then the 6ers, or anyone the 6ers have beaten on their 8-3 run. And likewise with beating NOH, GS, and Toronto. I was high when I orginally started this discussion, so I'm a little bit foggy to what we're talking about. But, my point is, the Blazers have beaten every team they've faced for 13 straight games, and have looked good when the game mattered the most (the 4th), and that's all there is too it. Are the Jazz and Nuggets better this year then Portland, yeah of course, but should Denver have beaten Portland, then they wouldn't be in a funk any longer, so because Portland beat them devouring that whole concept, then it's simply the Nuggets are in a funk? I don't buy it.

And yeah stats or meaningless when taken out of context, however I don't think my stats were out of context. Portland has fared better and against stiffer competition than the 6ers.

I just derailed myself on a weird tangent, so I give up.

What happens if Utah squeaks by Portland tomorrow night, and go on a run. Did Portland play an in the funk Jazz squad, or a hot Jazz team (because its the beginning of a run), or did the Jazz win because Portland was on a b2b and travelling.

I don't care to break things down to much, I am far to lazy, what I do know is Portland has beaten everyone that's stood in their path for the last 13 games, regardless of hot streak, cold streak, good team, bad team, on the road, at home, favorable spot, bad spot.

Portland hasn't won two in a row in Utah, since 81.:4_12_13:

That's where we are getting crossed.Somewhere you feel that I was comparing the two teams ( Port and Philly). I said I was comparing Philly to Port's recent competition saying that the Sixers were BETTER then Minny and Seattle. Thats all...

Its not real hard to decipher if a team is playing well or not. Regardless of what happens tmrw Utah is still not playing well but there play at home is signficantly better then there road play. Look at the start of Port streak OT vs a terrible Bucks road team , edged Miami by 6 and won @ Memphis by 1. That 3 game period started this streak and the momentum from the win in Utah is what has raised there level of play to its current standard. Recently they squeaked by a Denver team off a double OT game you dont see that as favorable , how about playing Toronto without um TJ Ford ? NO playing a b2b? My point was those teams at the time were not playing to there potential. It's not a bad thing but you cant say there great either. Portland did what a good team does and that is win....

GL tmrw night..

Yeah, agreed we were definitely talking about different things. That's more my fault then anything, haha.

I will say this though, like I said I was out of town for quite a few games, but when I left, even against the Warriors, the Blazers were not that impressive. Yes they had won 4 or 5 in a row, but they were a completely different team. And being as I was gone, I have no idea when it started. But this Blazers team is playing a totally different level of basketball, then the team in the first half of the streak. Before they were getting lucky, they caught Utah off gaurd, which was the real premiere of their zone defense. Utah outplayed the Blazers in that game, we just came out lucky. Milwaukie should've won that game that went into OT, Blazers were down by like 10 with 2 minutes to go (A comeback unheard of from the Blazers the past few years).

But now they are playing a team game, it's unbelieveable, I'm young enough that I don't remember the Rip City days, as far as digesting those clubs. But this team is playing with Cohesion that "good" ballclubs play with. Not near Detroits level, but you can see it in the rhythm of the team as a whole, they are on the same page.

We are making the extra pass, working the PnR, the zone defense, the outside shooting of Jones and Blake has stretched the defenses. These are things we were horrible at, couldn't rely on, and you'd see the other teams doing it to us for 48 minutes night in night out. It was as if there was never a really easy bucket scored. Nothing came easy, buckets were came from the final seconds of the shot clock, off balance one on one breakdowns, coupled with all the wrong bounces. But times have changed, and so has the team, honestly, it would not shock me if lost 6 or 7 of their next 8 games. But with the way the team is playing, I think this team that has comprised a season of streaks, can finally level out, and naturally come back to earth.

But I do believe we are witnessing something special, and it's not just that I'm a blazer fan, ok, you caught me, it is a factor. But what we're seeing is more then just a 13 game winning streak. This is a 13 game winning streak from the youngest team in the league. This is the rise of Brandon Roy, who's underrated skill set from his college days, has developed into one of the best off guards in the league. And more importantly then all that, this is a team who got the 1st draft pick Greg Oden, and proceeded to lose him for the entire year. Oden who before the injury, was the most hearlded young big man since Duncan. More so than Dwight Howard. But the season was a loss before it started, and was quickly about to be another wait til' next season type of year.

I truly believe this is a remarkable coming of age team story, no longer marred by the JailBlazers cliche. It's just exciting, that's all, haha

Portland blazes winning trail following angry practice

AUBURN HILLS -- The Portland Trail Blazers are pointing to an angry practice in a dank community center gym in San Antonio on Dec. 1 as the day their season turned around.
It was during that practice, according a marvelous report by the Oregonian, that teammates Martell Webster and Joel Przybilla got into a fight; Steve Blake kicked a chair and then pulled a Bob Knight and threw the chair; Brandon Roy trash-talked on his teammates and tempers nearly boiled over.
The Blazers lost to the Spurs the next day, dropping their record to 5-12. Since then, though, they ran together 12 straight wins heading into Sunday night's game against Philadelphia.
"I feel like everything changed that day," Roy told the Oregonian. "I can't say I felt it was going to result in this many wins in a row, but it was a big moment."
<!--startclickprintexclude-->Advertisement
<!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' begin --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); //--> </SCRIPT><!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' end -->
<!--endclickprintexclude-->And from the sound of it, the entire dust-up was orchestrated by coach Nate McMillan. He had only two rules for the team's scrimmage that day -- no switching on screens (forcing guys to fight through screens and stay with the man they were guarding) and only one dribble allowed at a time (to facilitate more ball movement).
"The practice was basically set up for a fight to happen," McMillan said. "We were talking about pressuring. We were talking about being physical. We were talking about grabbing. And, we got into a fight, a couple tempers flared and a couple of other things happened."
The best was between Webster and Przybilla. In a three-on-three drill, Przybilla nailed Webster with a rolling screen. Webster yelled for a foul and Przybilla basically told him to quit whining.
Webster shot back, "Why don't you make a dunk for once?"
Przybilla, who had clanged a couple of dunks in recent games, fumed.
During a four-on-four scrimmage, Webster drove hard to the basket. Przybilla caught him in the air and threw him to the ground.
"That's when your pride comes in and some ego gets in the way," Webster said. "While I was arguing with Joel, I looked at coach, and he was just sitting there smiling. He was looking at me like, 'Well, get into it then. Show me something.'
"And you know what, it seemed to ignite everybody, not just for me and Joel, but for everybody. The intensity of the whole practice changed."
The intensity of the team's approach to games changed, as well.
"One of our frustrations as coaches was that we didn't go at the other team as hard as we go at each other, which is the sign of a young team," assistant coach Bill Bayno said. "And Nate made that point again after practice, saying, 'I don't know what more I can do, or how many more times I need to say it.' And Channing (Frye) stepped up and said, 'You don't have to say it anymore, coach. We are going to do it for every game now.' And that was big."
The 12-game win streak is the second longest in Blazers' history, behind the 16-game streak in 1990-91.

Good read B.A.R.

Portland streak was snapped. props to Utah, anyone who watched that game, saw a different Utah team, perhaps the one we expected to see all season long, it was a tight game, Utah was fearless on the glass, very physical game, some suspect calls, but overall an interesting game.

Question becomes do the Blazers bounce back, or fall into a funk of their own. They've been blessed with the Twolves on deck, they played the Blazers tough a week ago, hopefully the Blazers have shaken off the L already.

Yes, now they just need to keep going strong. We'll learn their mental fortitude and what type of team they really are as they encounter more bumps in the road.

Even though this is sort off topic suprised that no one mentioned the fact that both Portland and Philly were both 9 pt dogs in Utah? Would have expected some serious Utah love...

I was a coward. Played Portland 3rd quarter which was pic and just hoped they would win. They did. Think they can make to 3rd spot in the West?

He is practicing with the team now. Probably be activated at some point but that insurance money is slowing things down plus everyone is playing well.

I figured once they got rid of Ha theyd struggle.. guess not
ha-seung-jin-hd.jpg

Great team this Portland. Wonder if they can make it to third spot in the West.

damn i fucked that up. lol. what i was trying to say was somebody good in the West isn't going to make the playoffs.

golden state, houston and utah are all going to battle for that final spot.

if any of them played in the east, they'd be in line for the 3 seed.

that's just sad.

portland has always had great fans. the old memorial coliesium was one of the toughest venues in the league with its 14,500 strong in there...the whole "jailblazers" era kinda turned some of them off but they are back full force

Shit man, Clyde was pimpin b4 pimpin was pimpin.

Peep those fingerrolls at 137 and 150 were dank.

Too bad he played during prime of MJ, Bird, Magic, and Isiah.....he def. deserved a title.

Kobe is a little bit filthier in my opinion.
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKf7UV15t-E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
That behind the back 360 on vincent was nice.. he did like 4 sick dunks that week ( the baseline on the twolves as well)
A little surprised this dunk wasnt on there
kobe_041112_320.jpg

I love the Blazers!
:cheers:

Team will be in trouble in the post season in my opinion. Especially if Joel get its in foul trouble. However, saying they make the postseason is accomplishment considering where they were the previous years. I think they need blake to be healthy as well.

Back