Shockey finally traded to the Saints

The Giants have agreed to trade their disgruntled tight end to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is pending league approval, according to a league source. Shockey must also pass a physical.

The compensation is the same the Saints offered New York back in April prior and during to the draft ... and it was turned down.
The move comes one day after Jason Taylor was traded from Miami to New York's NFC East rivals in Washington. According to a report on SI.com, the Giants had held discussions about a three-team trade in which they would have ended up with Taylor, the Saints would have landed Shockey and the Dolphins would have received a pair of draft picks.

well I'm sure Eagle and Cowboy fans prefer Jason Taylor with the Redskins than the Giants.. that's for sure...

we coulda used him... ;)

as for Shockey leaving.. FUCK!

I guess Reese had enough of Shockey's mouth in NY. Reese went from requesting Roman Harper and some to just settling for a 2nd & 5th.

I hope Shockey keeps his attitude in-check in New Orleans.

Shockey has a big head and needs an attitude adjustment... but the guy can play... he can be a big playmaker when you need him....

I really think Reese WAS trying to land Taylor somehow.. it makes sense that once Taylor was no longer an option, they went through with this deal...

It's kind of a shame to see Shockey go... I was already getting used to the idea of them playing around with two tight end sets...

I'm sure Reese will be making use out of those two picks (second and fifth rounder) next year though... as young as the Giants are right now, I can still see them getting younger with last years', this years' and next years' draft picks.

I also think this a plus for the Saints as well... another big weapon for Brees.

I also think this a plus for the Saints as well... another big weapon for Brees.

It will be most helpful in the red zone. Shockey should get enough TD catches to keep him quiet. We will see...

This may be a dream for fantasy owners....I am already starting to contemplate the options for my fantasy team.

2nd and a 5th for shockey seems like an almost identical deal that Miami got for Jason Taylor, but I think Taylor is more valuable.

Shockey posted his best career numbers for receptions and yards his rookie season (2002) with NY. Care to guess who the OC was at the time? Sean Payton!

A decent OL can protect Brees and open holes for the running game, but much of the Saints offense depends on the health of Deuce and Shockey. If both stay healthy, then you have a two-headed running monster and Brees now has another target to throw to over the middle and in short yardage situations.

Mixed feelings about this one, we sure are gonna miss his presence on the field, but im ready to move on ... not to mention saints are my number 2, so ill still get to cheer for him and he should get quite a few catches from Brees.

If duece can stay healthy and the saints have the 1-2 punch in the backfield (duece & bush), having shockey as an extra receiver when bush runs out for the option will add another dimension to their offense. Look for some overs and look for some point spreads in favor of the saints!:cheers:

"I have had a relationship with coach Payton and I appreciate what he has done as a head coach," Shockey said in a statement released by the Saints. "The Saints have a lot of weapons starting with Drew Brees and I look forward to joining my teammates at training camp. This will be a fun year."

Coughlin called the departing tight end "an outstanding football player who plays the game full speed and plays the game the way it was meant to be played."... "I wish him the best," the coach added.

"Jeremy is a player that we are excited to have on our roster. He is someone I am familiar with as a player," Payton said. "He brings a skill set to the position that I feel will be a tremendous benefit to our offense."

"He's been one of the most successful tight ends in NFL history, but now I think he's going to be more prolific in the Saints' offense," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think Jeremy could ask for a better situation."

here's the part I like...

The Giants also unload the remainder of a five-year, $31.2 million contract extension that Shockey signed in 2005.

now we can get Plax signed through the year 2050... oh wait... 31. mil?... well, that should be enough to get him signed through next year anyway.

wow, i just got home from work but I'm glad we made this move. As long as he can stay healthy and out of trouble (please?).

and we didnt have to give up roman harper. thank god

My friend just asked if I want to buy one of his two season tickets Upperdeck on the 45-50. I think only about $300

Yes?

My friend just asked if I want to buy one of his two season tickets Upperdeck on the 45-50. I think only about $300

Yes?

Of course! I was going to hustle for some, but I figured it would be prudent to save the money, watch on tv, and study for CFA.

That's gonna be a dynamite offense with Brees, Colston, R. Bush and Shockey. BTW, who plays the 2nd starting wr?

gonna be between patten/meachem/henderson/moore. i think blue_chip said something about moore struggling in camp but I hope Meachem can break out this year because I dont trust the other 3 as a #2 WR maybe patten but he's nothing special. Devery is nothing but a deep threat. rumor has it that Meachem has been doing well in camp

Moore is trying to establish himself as a return man because he cannot contend with Colston or Meachem's talent, Patten's experience, or Henderson's speed.

Meachem is raising eyebrows at camp, but his legs have been liabilities just like they seem to be to every Tennessee WR. Patten is old but experienced. Devery is only a threat when there is open field to run, and that is why I am happy about Shockey. Brees had no one to throw to besides Colston in red zone and short yardage situations because Patten is not a big target, and our TE's have accounted for 11 TDs in the last 4 seasons.

Shockey is going to get some catches, and Colston will be freed up rather than facing double coverage in every situation. I had a debate with a guy last night at the gym about whether Shockey increases or decreases Colston's fantasy value. While I am more concerned with the Saints winning than fantasy value, I argued that Shockey boosts Colston's value.

I keep reading little blurbs saying Colston's value increases, I have to agree with that, dont see how it hurts in any way.

Back