Shark's Bowl Picks

Thanks guys....you crack me up JoJo...glad you made some cash my friend :cheers: I'll add some plays tomorrow morning. :cheers:

You must be on some kind of CRACKS ! since you are in FL ! must be Brazilian then !

IT"S a PERFECT 5-0 !

:36_11_6:

Awesome New Year's sweep! Keep up the good work! Iowa seemed almost too easy, and it looks like lots of CTG folks made out with some loot from that one.

GL with the rest of your bowl plays :cheers:

Happy Mother Fing New Year Shark

Nice work Big Man:cheers:

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

South Carolina/Iowa -4 (big play) ...................................W

Clemson/Nebraska +2.................................................. .W

Michigan St./Georgia -7 1/2..........................................W

Penn St./USC -9 1/2................................................. ....W

Cinci/Virginia Tech +2 1/2............................................W

You must be on some kind of CRACKS ! since you are in FL ! must be Brazilian then !

Thats funny. Hey JoJo, I forgot to thank you for your generous contribution towards the NFL contest. Thats good stuff my man. We appreciate it very much. :shake:

Happy Mother Fing New Year Shark

Nice work Big Man:cheers:

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

Nice work Shark

OK, here's the rest of the bowls for me. Thes plays are locked in.

1/2/09

Mississippi/ Texas Tech -4.....Tight line here.

East Carolina/Kentucky +3.....This game should be a PK. Slight edge to KU

Alabama/Utah + 9 1/2...........Bama should not be favored by more than 4

1/3/09

Connecticut/Buffalo +6 1/2....This game should be a pick

1/5/09

Texas/Ohio St. +8...............Line should be Texas by 6, slight edge to OSU

1/6/09

Ball St./Tulsa......................Line is dead on. Flip a coin. NO PLAY

1/8/09

Oklahoma/Florida -3............Could be viewed as a homer play for me but in all honesty, I think Florida not only has an explosive offense but a fast and very good defense wheras Oklahoma has an explosive offense but weak defense. Florida's defense will cancel out Okie's offense but Florida should be able to put up plenty of points on that porous defense. Bottom line is I'm throwing a sizable chunk of my bowl winnnings on this play.

Best of luck to everybody, it's been one hell of a bowl season. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Hey Spanishshark,

You leaning any way on the ECU/Kentucky game, either the side or total? I'm leaning Kentucky and the over seems pretty low (41), especially since both teams on average score more than 20 pts on the road, as well as give up more than 20 pts at home. Gotta think that each team can hang 20-ish.

Just wondering bout your thoughts? Been following your plays...

Hey Spanishshark,

You leaning any way on the ECU/Kentucky game, either the side or total? I'm leaning Kentucky and the over seems pretty low (41), especially since both teams on average score more than 20 pts on the road, as well as give up more than 20 pts at home. Gotta think that each team can hang 20-ish.

Just wondering bout your thoughts? Been following your plays...
I'm on Kentucky. It's posted above. :cheers:

Dont follow on Utah cause I'm on the downslide right now. So far 0-1 and looking like 0-2 if Kentucky doesn't wake the hell up!!

Recap

Navy +3
@ Wake Forest............................................L

Fresno St. @ Colorado St. + 2 1/2.............................W

Memphis +12 1/2 @ S.Florida....................................L

BYU @ Arizona -3.................................................. ..W

12/24

Notre Dame PK / Hawaii..........................................W

12/26

Florida Atlantic/Central Michigan.....Florida Atl. +7....W

12/27

West Virginia/North Carolina.......West Virginia PK......W
Wisconsin/Florida St...................Florida St. -5...........W
Miami (FL)/California..................California - 7 1/2.....L

12/28

N.Illinois/Louisiana Tech..............N. Illinois -1 1/2......L

12/29

NC State/Rutgers.........................Rutgers - 8 1/2.......L
Rutgers - 6 1/2.......L
Northwestern/Missouri.................Missouri - 12 1/2.....L
Missouri - 11 1/2.....L

12/30

Nevada/Maryland..........................NO PLAY
Western Michigan/Rice...................Rice -3..................W
Oregon/Oklahoma St......................Oregon +3............W

12/31

Airforce/Houston - 3 1/2..............................................w

Pittsburgh/Oregon St. - 2 1/2........................................w

Vanderbilt/Boston College - 3 1/2..................................L

Minnesota/Kansas -9....(Big Play)...................................W

LSU/Georgia Tech - 4 1/2.............................................L

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

<!-- / message -->
1/2/09

Mississippi/ Texas Tech -4..............................................L

East Carolina/Kentucky +3.............................................W

Alabama/Utah + 9 1/2...................................................W

1/3/09

Connecticut/Buffalo +6 1/2....This game should be a pick

1/5/09

1/6/09

1/8/09

Oklahoma/Florida -3............Could be viewed as a homer play for me but in all honesty, I think Florida not only has an explosive offense but a fast and very good defense wheras Oklahoma has an explosive offense but weak defense. Florida's defense will cancel out Okie's offense but Florida should be able to put up plenty of points on that porous defense. Bottom line is I'm throwing a sizable chunk of my bowl winnnings on this play.

<!-- sig -->

SHARKS had been WANTED from the bookies in SOUTHERN CALIFONIA as of to night !

7-1 ( in 2 days) to start off the 2009

:36_11_6:

Buffalo :(

Recap

Navy +3

12/24

12/26

12/27

12/28

12/29

Rutgers - 6 1/2.......L
Missouri - 11 1/2.....L

12/30

12/31

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

<!-- / message -->
1/2/09

Alabama/Utah + 9 1/2.................................................. .W

1/3/09

Connecticut/Buffalo +6 1/2.............................................L

1/5/09

1/6/09

1/8/09

any lean to Ball St. now that the line has moved so much? Not sure why anyone thinks Tulsa is any good.

any lean to Ball St. now that the line has moved so much? Not sure why anyone thinks Tulsa is any good.
Cubsker, I'm waiting till game day hoping the line moves to -3 then I'm going to hammer Ball St. +3. Look for a good ML too. :smiley_acbe:

sounds good, buddy. MAC has looked like ass, but I do think Ball St. is a solid team with a better defense than Tulsa.

ADDING:

Tulsa/Ball St. +3.....................Wrong side is favored here.

Thanks Cubsker :shake: Decided to take it now in case the line moves back down.

Recap

Navy +3

12/24

12/26

12/27

12/28

12/29

Rutgers - 6 1/2.......L
Missouri - 11 1/2.....L

12/30

12/31

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

<!-- / message -->
1/2/09

1/3/09

1/5/09

Texas/Ohio St. +8..........................................................W

1/6/09

Tulsa/Ball St. +3...............Made it a play. Should be a PK

1/8/09

Oklahoma/Florida -3............Could be viewed as a homer play for me but in all honesty, I think Florida not only has an explosive offense but a fast and very good defense wheras Oklahoma has an explosive offense but weak defense. Florida's defense will cancel out Okie's offense but Florida should be able to put up plenty of points on that porous defense. Bottom line is I'm throwing a sizable chunk of my bowl winnnings on this play. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Congrats on the win tonight, Shark. I should have hedged for that middle shot with you. As it was I almost had a heart attack.

Thanks for giving me that three points, I needed 'em.

Now we'll both be on the same side, pretty heavy on Thursday.

Congrats on the win tonight, Shark. I should have hedged for that middle shot with you. As it was I almost had a heart attack.

Thanks for giving me that three points, I needed 'em.

Now we'll both be on the same side, pretty heavy on Thursday.

haha I was looking for you in game to tell you I had delivered those 3 points. LOL. Lets make more tomorrow :cheers:

Why Ball St.?

Hey Spanishshark,

Nice plays recently. I was on the same side for most of them (minus Buff and Ohio St). General pub favoring Tulsa hard - pushed the line 6 pts. from Ball St. -3 to 3. I was leaning Tulsa +3 when the line came out, but didn't pull the trigger - didn't think it would swing that much. Even still, I'm leaning Tulsa -2.5. Ball St. might have a better D than Tulsa, but the Tulsa offense IMO is on a different level than Ball St. (even despite Ball St. being in a tougher conference). I see a Tulsa win by 7-10.

Curious to know why you're on Ball St. Especially if you got an angle, or just see value in those 3 pts...

Thanks!

Hey Spanishshark,

Nice plays recently. I was on the same side for most of them (minus Buff and Ohio St). General pub favoring Tulsa hard - pushed the line 6 pts. from Ball St. -3 to 3. I was leaning Tulsa +3 when the line came out, but didn't pull the trigger - didn't think it would swing that much. Even still, I'm leaning Tulsa -2.5. Ball St. might have a better D than Tulsa, but the Tulsa offense IMO is on a different level than Ball St. (even despite Ball St. being in a tougher conference). I see a Tulsa win by 7-10.

Curious to know why you're on Ball St. Especially if you got an angle, or just see value in those 3 pts...

Thanks!
Hey bud, sorry I just saw this post and I just finished answering this question more or less in Sammy Meatballs thread. For the sake of not repeating myself please visit his thread. :shake:

ADDING:

Tulsa/Ball St. +3.....................Wrong side is favored here.

Thanks Cubsker :shake: Decided to take it now in case the line moves back down.

with ya aalllllllll the way on ball here shark! could give a flyin fuck bout the line movement! the better team is gettin the points! :cheers:

Hey Shark,

Sorry bout that Ball St. loss, they really stunk it up. I figured Tulsa would roll, but I didn't expect a blow out. And when the rain came it, you would've figured it might help Ball State's running game a better and detract from Tulsa's passing - guess not. Oh well. Maybe we both cash on Thursday if we are on the same side.

I'm all over Florida, like the rest of creation. Normally that has me sensing something amiss, but I just can't see Oklahoma hanging with Florida. Offenses bout the same, maybe a minimal edge to Florida with the two dimensional Tebow, Harvin in, and Murray out. Special teams heavily favor Florida and their returns should give Tebow some short fields. And defense, Florida over Oklahoma. Not impressed anymore with Oklahoma's wins over Tech, Okie St., and Mizz after all those teams' performances versus other conferences this bowl season. Just my opinion. Curious (as always) to know what way you're leaning and especially why! Thanks bro! Aloha.

Hey Shark,

Sorry bout that Ball St. loss, they really stunk it up. I figured Tulsa would roll, but I didn't expect a blow out. And when the rain came it, you would've figured it might help Ball State's running game a better and detract from Tulsa's passing - guess not. Oh well. Maybe we both cash on Thursday if we are on the same side.

I'm all over Florida, like the rest of creation. Normally that has me sensing something amiss, but I just can't see Oklahoma hanging with Florida. Offenses bout the same, maybe a minimal edge to Florida with the two dimensional Tebow, Harvin in, and Murray out. Special teams heavily favor Florida and their returns should give Tebow some short fields. And defense, Florida over Oklahoma. Not impressed anymore with Oklahoma's wins over Tech, Okie St., and Mizz after all those teams' performances versus other conferences this bowl season. Just my opinion. Curious (as always) to know what way you're leaning and especially why! Thanks bro! Aloha.

I posted my pick above a while ago. Matter of fact I got Florida at -3. Although some people might construe this as a "homer" play for me, it is not. I have bet against my teams before if the circumstances dictate. But this Florida team I dont think really matches up like they seem to do on paper. I think Florida has the superior atletes. I've been on heavy public favorites before and the feeling you describe is a normal feeling. I have also been on the winning side of a heavy public favorite. The fact that Harvin is playing and supposedly at 90% is really a great thing. I think 90% is bull...he's 100% Florida has a speed that Oklahoma hasn't seen yet. Here is a few questions and answers by coach Meyers in his last media Q&A.

One of the themes of the week has been speed, particularly your speed. How does speed manifest in a football game? A fast team, where exactly does it take advantage of a speed advantage?

COACH URBAN MEYER: I think every element. But also, we’ve coached against teams with great speed that the speed is not utilized. Speed running into a big pile of people and getting tackled is not utilizing speed, so we run a style of play, I’m speaking offensively, where we try to match that speed against some inferior speed and let them go to work in the open field. That’s how we utilize or manifest, your term, that’s how we try to utilize that speed.

But also, it’s much deeper than that on our punt block unit or punt return unit, we have a lot of tremendous amount of athleticism in that group, and when you recruit you can start utilizing it in other areas.

And also it’s unselfish speed. I use Jeff Demps. Jeff Demps is the fastest player out there, 10 flat 100 meters. Someone told me he’s the fastest running back to ever play the game. If that’s true, then he’s also the fastest left missile on kickoff and our fastest No. 7 on punt block unit, and he understands he’s as important in those units as carrying the ball. That’s how we utilize the speed.

Given the tough, physical nature of the last two games you played in the regular season, Florida State and Alabama, was it good for you or bad for you in terms of the competition? And how is the injury situation with Percy?

COACH URBAN MEYER: It’s always good to play top-flight competition, especially when you’re on a roll, and I felt our team at the end of the year in that fourth quarter, really the game against FSU and then that Alabama game, that’s as fine a football as I’ve been around. I was very proud of our team and our preparation and the way they played.

With it comes risk, and the risk is if we had to play this game any earlier than January 8th, I don’t think we’ve had a chance to win just because of our injury situation. We lost four players in that Alabama game and then Percy Harvin did not play and Brandon Antwine didn’t play.

The good thing is January 8th we should be fairly healthy. We should—I like the way Percy Harvin had limited practice yesterday, went full practice the day before, today he’ll do some stuff, but we are expecting him to be close to full speed, and Carl Johnson is going to be ready to go, Louis Murphy and Kestahn Moore, who actually had cartilage surgery right after the Alabama game will be ready to go, as well.

Could you talk about the intangibles with your quarterback in Tim Tebow and maybe what you see in preparing for Sam Bradford, some either similarities or things that separate the two?

COACH URBAN MEYER: Well, quarterback is a unique position, and it’s—all eyes are on the quarterback, not so much to the country, but all eyes—when a guy calls a play, when a guy on 4th down and 1, he’s the guy that has to make it go. So the ability of a quarterback to get those around him playing at high levels.

I’ll hear something about Tim’s throwing motion or the NFL is looking for—I sometimes get confused. Do they want a guy that’s going to lead a team to win games? I don’t know if there’s any better than Tim. Coach Stoops and I are friends, and he’s often told me about Sam, and you can see that on film. The one play that sticks out in my mind with the quarterback we’re playing is not the throwing, it’s the play on the 4-yard line where he laid out to go try to score a touchdown. You have to be a leader, you have to show toughness, and you have to have the ability to raise the level of play of people around you.

Our quarterback, I can’t imagine there’s a better one in America doing that.

Can you talk about your offensive line this year. When you started the season you really had four guys who weren’t playing—starting on offensive line the year before and how they’ve been able to mesh together?

COACH URBAN MEYER: I think this is a great story line for young coaches and people who admire football. You keep hearing about Bradford and Tebow, and what you’re really going to see is probably the two best offensive lines in America going against each other. There’s the reason for the success those quarterbacks have. It’s not the scheme. Oklahoma runs a very up-tempo offense that’s hard to defend, but it’s hard to defend because they have very good players and it starts up front. The quarterback has a very good ability to go from the first read to the second read to the third read probably as good as any quarterback I’ve ever seen do. However, if you have a bad offensive line, by the time he looks at the second read he’s getting hit.

Same thing with Tim Tebow. He has an excellent cast around him. This is the best offensive line I’ve been around, and I’ve been around some really good ones. They’re great people, they love the game of football, there’s energy in practice, they’re motivated, and it’s just a great study. If you really study the game of football, all the quarterback stuff is real interesting and the receivers and everybody else, but it all starts with the offensive line, and we have our best offensive line. I haven’t been at Florida more than four years, but it blows every other offensive line away.

When you watch Oklahoma’s offense on tape, how different is what they do from what you guys have seen this year?

COACH URBAN MEYER: Well, on videotape it isn’t as different because you don’t see the TV copy and you don’t see—when you’re involved in the tempo. What you see is a good group of players executing at a high level. You don’t understand you have substitution limitations because of tempo, you have the fatigue factor and you have the chaos factor where you like to line up. The positive is we’ve had three weeks to prepare and we’ve been operating at a very high level of chaos on defense trying to get lined up and be ready to go. They create a lot of plays because teams are misaligned.

TCU is a perfect example. They were playing their tails off and even the coach Gary Patterson made a comment he screwed them up because he was talking when the play was snapped. We have to get lined up and get ready to go. That’s a problem.

The personnel is a problem. I’d like to play a team that does this with really bad players, and it’s not a problem. It’s the fact that they’re really good.

Talk about the difficulties in dealing with Oklahoma’s up-tempo offense, no-huddle. And what have you done in practice to try to get ready for that?

COACH URBAN MEYER: Well, everything we’ve done is no-huddle and up-tempo, so we’re getting a multitude of plays. They average over 80 plays a game compared to we average I think in the 50s or 60s. But their intent was to run as many plays as they can.

The biggest thing I think that’s going to happen in this game is all great offensive, when we consider them a great offense, we consider the Gators a great offense. If you allow them to start anywhere other than deep into our territory, we can’t have that happen. It’s turnovers and coverage units. So we start talking about their great offense, if you keep them pinned back and on a long field as I’m sure that’s the feeling that’s really—what this game is all about is making a team drive the length of the field and not giving them short ones, I think that’s what’s going to be the difference in this game.

Last year you talked about how you had some tough guys but you didn’t have a tough team. Could you talk about how this has evolved from last year into what you have called a tough team?

COACH URBAN MEYER: Personnel, maturity, and I think our assistant coaches have done a great job, starting with Mickey Marotti, developing toughness. We’ve recruited toughness. Last year’s team was not a tough team. Last year’s team was just not very tough.

Our team two years ago really turned out to be—4th down and 1 against Ohio State on the 25-yard line, that showed its toughness. This team showed its toughness. This is a very—this is one of the toughest teams I’ve been around.

Would you agree or disagree that in a game this big, this important to these young men, it can sometimes come out too fired up, too emotional and do you address that?

COACH URBAN MEYER: Sure, I have to watch what I say. Coach Holtz gave me one of the greatest pieces of advice, and the way he said it was—he said it about three times, because I kept asking him the question, he said, Play the game January 8th at 8:30. Do not play it early January, do not play it on Thursday before the game. Play it on January 8th.

We have not used—we’re pretty well known as far as we do a lot of motivational things as it gets closer to game time. Whether it be speeches, whether it be hitting tables, whether it is to get guys going, there won’t be a lot of that. Take the right step, focus on your job and your responsibility. This year will not be when you walk in that arena and the flashbulbs, that is a very critical element, especially guys who have not played in this. How we start the game I think is going to be critical because momentum is very important. You don’t want to put Tim in a bad situation. You want to let him get into this game.

All those things you just said, that’s a great question, and that’s something that we have—whatever we do, it’s going to be well thought out. I’m not sure it’s going to work, but it’s going to be at least well thought out.

:cheers:I'm ready:cheers:

Awesome post, Shark. I'm feelin' Florida even at -4. Should've jumped on it before bowl season, but I'm not even sweating it now. Florida win and cover. Let's end it with a win, sir!

bol shark...im thinking of just taking the under. would you take florida at the current line?

bol shark...im thinking of just taking the under. would you take florida at the current line?
I would as I think Florida might cover by a TD or more but I wouldn't place the same amount of money on the bet. I thought 3 was a gift and I unloaded on it. I'm still comfortable at -5 though. Thats less than 2 fieldgoals ;)

Navy +3 @ Wake Forest............................................L

12/24

12/26

12/27

12/28

12/29

Rutgers - 6 1/2.......L
Missouri - 11 1/2.....L

12/30

12/31

1/1/09 HAPPY NEW YEAR

<!-- / message -->
1/2/09

1/3/09

1/5/09

Texas/Ohio St. +8.................................................. ........W

1/6/09

Tulsa/Ball St. +3.............................................................L

1/8/09

Oklahoma/Florida -3............Could be viewed as a homer play for me but in all honesty, I think Florida not only has an explosive offense but a fast and very good defense wheras Oklahoma has an explosive offense but weak defense. Florida's defense will cancel out Okie's offense but Florida should be able to put up plenty of points on that porous defense. Bottom line is I'm throwing a sizable chunk of my bowl winnnings on this play. SPEED KILLS Good Luck guys. Should be a good one. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

19-11 Bowl games 63% Going for win 20 Tonight <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Congrats to an awesome bowl season, Shark. Cashed it with Florida. e chattin with ya soon, bro, as I'll be coveting your insight to the remaining NFL playoff games. Aloha from Hawai'i.

:tiphat:

Back