UGA -6 vs Miss St
SCAR -10.5 vs La Tech
Tenn -26.5 vs UMASS
Florida -4 @ UK
LSU -23.5 vs Syracuse
Auburn -18.5 @ Mizzou
Alabama -19.5 @ Vanderbilt
Ark +3 vs aTm - game in Dallas

AU backup QB Sean White was arrested after the game Saturday night for public intox. He was suspended for the opener for a rumored failed drug test. The AU beat writers expect him to be dismissed today. If true, does that mean that Gus dials back any on Stidham running? Pretty sure the 3rd string QB is a true freshman that was supposed to be RS.

Mentioned it in the what did we learn thread, but Alabama played Saturday's game missing 5 LBers. Probably the main reason you saw Col St hang around and then score 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. We also likely lost a TE for the season. We have depth, more than most, but the injuries are starting to pile up. If we continue to have to play a lot of the younger players, I think there will be an opportunity to bet on our opponents or at least their team total over, because our defense won't be near what we saw the last few years, or even against FSU in week one. Not sure that Vandy has the O to take advantage though. I thought that Hurts looked pretty good throwing the ball Saturday night. He's still a 1st read then check down or run guy, but we can win games with that. Biggest thing for our offense right now is that we have zero turnovers through 3 games

Only other game I saw any of was the UF/UT game. Biggest takeaway is that Butch Jones continues to be one of the worst in-game coaches in the country. It's bad enough to allow the WR to get behind the DBs on the last play, but they could have run a ton of clock in their last possession, or at least force UF to use their timeouts. I don't know how hot Jones' seat is, but it had to get much worse after that loss. If UF can use that 4th quarter and actually find something on offense, they could be a pretty tough team from here on out. But I'll have to see more than one quarter to believe they have anything on that side of the ball worth talking about

It was probably the biggest head coach mismatch in the conference, and Dan Mullen and Miss St played like it. Ed O at LSU will be a disaster. If the strength of your team are the coordinators, you are destined to fail. AU tried it under Chizik, and while they found lightning in a bottle/checkbook, it failed spectacularly. It wouldn't surprise me if Orgeron only lasts this season, especially with the Chip Kelly sweepstakes that will most certainly be going on.

As far as the conference, I think there has been a great deal of improvement at the bottom of the league: SCAR, UK, and Vandy are on the rise. But teams like AU, LSU, Ole Miss, Tenn are mired in mediocrity. Jury is still out on UGA and UF right now. Miss St looks like they can make some noise. Mizzou looks to be pretty bad, and I don't think Ark is going to be very good either. Alabama even looks like a weaker version of what we're used to seeing. Luckily for us, the schedule isn't too daunting moving forward and we can get healthy in time for the November run.

LSU lost two defenders with targeting calls I think. Don't remember their names or what half it was in.

Roll Tide gps (i go here) and bol this week. Nice thoughts. Disagree with saying sc on the rise tho especially with samuel out, who else will be productive for them?

Roll Tide gps (i go here) and bol this week. Nice thoughts. Disagree with saying sc on the rise tho especially with samuel out, who else will be productive for them?
They have one of best skill groups in the SEC. I'm not making light of losing Deebo, he is one of the most electric guys in CFB, but between Bryan Edwards, Hayden Hurst, Shi Smith, OrTre Smith and several other TE and RB I think they can still produce at a high level. Shi Smith is made most in the mold of Deebo and Bryan Edwards is made most in the mold of an NFL WR1. My guess is he is the largest beneficiary. He leads the team in targets with 25 compared to Samuel's 23.

I meant in general as a program, not necessarily within the context of this season and the remaining games. Even without Deebo, they are on a better trajectory than AU/LSU/OM/Ark/etc

AU backup QB Sean White was arrested after the game Saturday night for public intox. He was suspended for the opener for a rumored failed drug test. The AU beat writers expect him to be dismissed today. If true, does that mean that Gus dials back any on Stidham running? Pretty sure the 3rd string QB is a true freshman that was supposed to be RS.

Mentioned it in the what did we learn thread, but Alabama played Saturday's game missing 5 LBers. Probably the main reason you saw Col St hang around and then score 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. We also likely lost a TE for the season. We have depth, more than most, but the injuries are starting to pile up. If we continue to have to play a lot of the younger players, I think there will be an opportunity to bet on our opponents or at least their team total over, because our defense won't be near what we saw the last few years, or even against FSU in week one. Not sure that Vandy has the O to take advantage though. I thought that Hurts looked pretty good throwing the ball Saturday night. He's still a 1st read then check down or run guy, but we can win games with that. Biggest thing for our offense right now is that we have zero turnovers through 3 games

Only other game I saw any of was the UF/UT game. Biggest takeaway is that Butch Jones continues to be one of the worst in-game coaches in the country. It's bad enough to allow the WR to get behind the DBs on the last play, but they could have run a ton of clock in their last possession, or at least force UF to use their timeouts. I don't know how hot Jones' seat is, but it had to get much worse after that loss. If UF can use that 4th quarter and actually find something on offense, they could be a pretty tough team from here on out. But I'll have to see more than one quarter to believe they have anything on that side of the ball worth talking about

It was probably the biggest head coach mismatch in the conference, and Dan Mullen and Miss St played like it. Ed O at LSU will be a disaster. If the strength of your team are the coordinators, you are destined to fail. AU tried it under Chizik, and while they found lightning in a bottle/checkbook, it failed spectacularly. It wouldn't surprise me if Orgeron only lasts this season, especially with the Chip Kelly sweepstakes that will most certainly be going on.

As far as the conference, I think there has been a great deal of improvement at the bottom of the league: SCAR, UK, and Vandy are on the rise. But teams like AU, LSU, Ole Miss, Tenn are mired in mediocrity. Jury is still out on UGA and UF right now. Miss St looks like they can make some noise. Mizzou looks to be pretty bad, and I don't think Ark is going to be very good either. Alabama even looks like a weaker version of what we're used to seeing. Luckily for us, the schedule isn't too daunting moving forward and we can get healthy in time for the November run.

This is spot on. I am going to head down to PCB and see if I can't get this monologue airbrushed onto a tank top!

Week 3 in the SEC certainly was an interesting one. Here are a few things we’re thinking about following the third weekend of the season (which means, of course, that the season already is a quarter over).

Jalen Hurts’ stats don’t look much different
Alabama QB Jalen Hurts’ passing stats through three games this season: 36-of-53 (67.9 percent) for 472 yards (157.3 per game), four TDs and no picks. Hurts’ passing stats through three games last season: 48-of-78 (61.5 percent) for 563 yards (187.7 per game), four TDs and one interception. His running stats through three games this season: 36 carries for 312 yards (8.7 yards per attempt) and three TDs. His running stats through three games last season: 38 carries for 197 yards (5.2 yards per attempt) and two TDs.

That Hurts has thrown 25 fewer passes this season is surprising, considering all the offseason talk about developing him as a passer. And that he basically has the same number of carries is surprising, too, considering the Tide’s incredible depth at running back. He is the team leader in carries (by three) and yards (by 154), but the yardage part of that is an offshoot of the line not being as dominant as it has been – or was expected to be. The right side, in particular, has been inconsistent, and Hurts has done more tucking-and-running than expected.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that while the offense has changed with Brian Daboll as the coordinator, a lot has remained the same. The biggest difference, though, is stark: Points. Through three games last season (against two Power Five teams and a Conference USA opponent), the Tide scored 138 points. Through three games this season (against one Power Five team and two Mountain West foes), the Tide (3-0) has scored 106 points.

About that Florida offense …
At first glance, Florida’s offensive production against Tennessee (380 yards on 57 plays) was vastly better than it was against Michigan (192 yards on 53 plays). Look closer, though, and a lot of the same problems remained.

The offensive line was expected to be a team strength. Heck, coach Jim McElwain raved about the line all offseason. But that group was awful against Michigan and mediocre against Tennessee. There was no consistent push in the running game, and QB Feleipe Franks had a lot of quick passes against the Vols, maybe because he and the coaches don’t trust the line to keep him clean.

The one difference with Florida in Game 2 opposed to the opener (well, other than the fact that the Gators actually scored an offensive TD) was the big play. The game-winning TD pass covered 63 yards and an almost-TD run covered 72 yards. The problem: Those two plays produced 36 percent of the offense on the day.

And look at those play totals. Florida has run 110 plays in two games. That’s the fewest of any team in the nation that has played two games. That obviously is indicative of an offense that can’t stay on the field because it can’t convert on third down, and a lot of that can be blamed on the line. Florida is 9-of-27 on third down.

The Gators had a 15-play first drive against the Vols, which means that almost a quarter of the plays UF ran in the game came on the first possession. Florida ran eight plays in the third quarter and 14 in the fourth quarter – and it won. That’s another obvious difference between Games 1 and 2.

Game 3 is against Kentucky, a program Florida absolutely owns; the Gators have won 30 in a row in the series. UK is so-so defensively this season, and if the Gators struggle to move the ball on the Wildcats, there may be no hope for Florida’s offense this season.

Remember that Florida has not averaged 400 yards in a season even once this decade; the only other SEC school in that group is Vanderbilt. Nothing Florida has done in the first two games leads you to believe that it is going to average 400 this season.

And what about Mississippi State’s defense?
Mississippi State’s defense was as bad as Florida’s offense last season. The Bulldogs surrendered 459.1 yards and 31.8 points per game in 2016, and Todd Grantham was brought in as coordinator from Louisville to turn those numbers around.

Through three games, the turnaround has been astounding. After dominating LSU 37-7 on Saturday night – MSU’s largest margin of victory over the Tigers in the 111-game series – the Bulldogs have surrendered just 28 points and 618 yards through three games with basically the same players.

The only “new” starter is OLB Montez Sweat, a junior college transfer. The other 10 starters were around last season. One of those returnees is NT Jeffery Simmons, a former five-star recruit who had a good freshman season and appears on his way to an All-SEC-type of sophomore season. Simmons has startling quickness for a 300-pounder and has 2.5 sacks, two quarterback hurries, two blocked kicks and a fumble return for a TD through three games. Grantham also has moved Gerri Green from an inside linebacker spot to an outside spot opposite Sweat.

Grantham has said he wants his defense to be fast, physical and aggressive from seemingly the second he was hired, and the Bulldogs have lived up to that so far. Grantham also has utilized different schemes – sometimes a 3-4 look, sometimes a 4-2-5, sometimes a 5-2 – all in an effort to get the best matchup against the opponent.

The Bulldogs (3-0) get another test this week, when they travel to play Georgia (3-0) in the second game of a huge three-game stretch (LSU, Georgia and Auburn). Like LSU, Georgia wants to run the ball and not have to rely on its quarterback to make plays. Against LSU, Mississippi State stymied the run and forced LSU QB Danny Etling to the air, where he struggled. The Bulldogs will be looking to do the same thing to Georgia and true freshman QB Jake Fromm.

There is an added storyline this week in that Grantham spent 2010-13 as Georgia’s defensive coordinator. His last two Georgia defenses were his two worst, and not many Bulldogs fans were sad to see him leave following the ’13 season.

Short takes
Purdue hammered Missouri 35-3, and the final margin was indicative of the stark difference between the teams. And that’s embarrassing for Mizzou. Purdue has a first-year coach, Jeff Brohm, who took over a program that had won nine games in the past four seasons. The Boilermakers (2-1) had a clue on both sides of the ball. The Tigers (1-2), under second-year coach Barry Odom, appeared clueless on both sides of the ball. … Texas A&M’s offense looked great in the first two quarters against UCLA, but it has struggled in the 10 quarters since. Injuries certainly are a reason, but so is uneven line play. The Aggies used six different line groupings in the first half of Saturday’s win over UL-Lafayette, which came in with one of the worst defenses in the nation. … South Carolina has some of the best skill-position talent in the SEC, but the Gamecocks (2-1) are averaging just 321.0 yards per game, which is ahead of only Florida in the league. That’s 26.5 yards per game less than they averaged last season. They also have lost their best player, WR Deebo Samuel, for at least five weeks and maybe for the season. The rushing offense has been pitiful (85.7 yards per game) because the line is not that good. … LSU and Ole Miss are averaging 10 penalties per game. That’s hard to do. Just one team (ahem – Baylor) averaged more than 8.3 per game last season, and the Bears were at 9.9. … Non-conference records for each Power Five league against other Power Five teams (including Notre Dame) through three weeks: ACC 5-8, Big Ten 7-5, Big 12 4-6, Pac-12 5-3 and SEC 5-6.

A look at all the action from the third weekend of the season in the SEC.

The results of three big conference games this week set up two big showdowns next week: Florida at Kentucky and Mississippi State at Georgia.

Florida 26, Tennessee 20
In an ending that had to be seen to be believed, the host Gators (1-1) scored on a 63-yard pass on the final play of the game to gut-punch the Vols (2-1). Feleipe Franks hit Tyrie Cleveland on the winning TD pass — the ball traveled about 73 yards in the air — as Vols CB Micah Abernathy let Cleveland get past him and haul in the game-winner in the end zone. The Gators led 6-3 at halftime after an atrocious offensive first half for both teams. But the game got exciting and dramatic in the fourth period; the Gators scored 20 in the final stanza, the Vols 17. In 2015 in Gainesville, the Gators beat the Vols by one on a fourth-down pass with a bit more than a minute left — and that also was a 63-yarder. The Vols wasted a huge game by RB John Kelly, who ran for 141 yards and a TD and also had 96 receiving yards. The Gators had taken a 20-10 lead with 5:13 left, but the Vols scored 10 points in the next 4:20 to set up the frantic final seconds.

Mississippi State 37, LSU 7
The host Bulldogs (3-0) dominated, crushing the Tigers (2-1) and getting their biggest margin of victory in the history of the 111-game series. The previous largest margin was 25 in 1954. Mississippi State pushed around LSU on both sides of the ball. MSU outrushed LSU 285-134 and held LSU to 3-of-13 on third down. Overall, Mississippi State outgained the Tigers 465-270. Bulldogs QB Nick Fitzgerald rushed for 88 yards and two TDs and threw for 180 yards and two more TDs. He has accounted for 36 TDs in his past nine games – 17 rushing, 19 passing; that’s the most in the nation in that span. Mississippi State led 17-7 at halftime, and at no point in the second half were the Bulldogs ever truly in trouble after they kicked a field goal on their first possession of the third quarter. LSU had allowed just four plays of more than 20 yards in its first two games; Mississippi State had five such plays Saturday night.

Kentucky 23, South Carolina 13
The Wildcats (3-0) gave up a touchdown on the host Gamecocks’ first play of the game, but grinded their way to the key SEC East victory. UK has won four in a row over the Gamecocks. South Carolina (2-1) couldn’t run – 54 yards on 20 carries – and were one-dimensional offensively. QB Jake Bentley was 24-of-36 for 304 yards and two TDs, but he also threw two picks. UK, meanwhile, rushed for 184 yards and two TDs, with Benny Snell Jr. doing most of the damage (102 yards and both scores on 32 carries). This is Kentucky’s first 3-0 start since 2010; the Wildcats lost by 34 at Florida in Game 4. UK plays host to the Gators next week. South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel had the TD on the Gamecocks’ first play and finished with five catches for 122 yards and the score. He also was injured.

Vanderbilt 14, Kansas State 7
The host Commodores (3-0) got their first win over a ranked non-conference opponent since 1945 by upsetting the Wildcats (2-1) in a defensive struggle. K-State finished with 277 total yards, Vandy with 270. Vandy’s Kyle Shurmur threw a TD pass in the first quarter and ran for a 2-yard score in the final period. K-State was 4-of-16 on third downs, and Vandy was 4-of-13. Vanderbilt plays host to Alabama next week in a battle of unbeaten teams. The Commodores, who are 3-0 for the first time since 2011, have allowed just 13 points this season. Vanderbilt had three sacks, giving the Commodores 11 this season; they had a league-low 15 last season.

California 27, Ole Miss 16
QB Shea Patterson’s early-season magic ran out and the Rebels (2-1) fell on the road to California (3-0) in their first-ever game against a Pac-12 opponent. Patterson had thrown for 918 yards, with nine TDs and one interception, in Ole Miss’ first two games. But in his first action this season against a Power Five foe, Patterson tossed three picks, including one returned for a TD with 3:00 left that provided the final margin. He finished 26-of-44 for 363 yards, two TDs and the three interceptions. He got zero help from his running game: Ole Miss had 55 yards on 28 carries. Cal ran 88 plays – 16 more than Ole Miss. In addition to the three turnovers, Ole Miss committed 16 penalties and was just 5-of-17 on third down. The Rebels led 16-7 at halftime.

Purdue 35, Missouri 3

The host Tigers (1-2) were overwhelmed by the Boilermakers (2-1), who scored TDs on their first two possessions and rolled to the win. Mizzou was held to just 203 yards and 10 first downs. Purdue had 477 total yards and had the ball for 43:43 to Missouri’s 16:17. The Boilermakers basically did what they wanted on offense in the first half: Their first four scoring drives had an average distance of 83 yards. Mizzou fired defensive coordinator DeMontie Cross during the week, but the staff change had no impact. Mizzou QB Drew Lock was 12-of-28 for 133 yards and tossed two picks.

Alabama 41, Colorado State 23
Jalen Hurts accounted for 351 yards of offense and three TDs as the host Tide (3-0) rolled past the Rams (1-2). Alabama led 41-10 before allowing two Colorado State TDs in the final 10 minutes. The Tide passed for 248 yards and two TDs and ran for 239 and three scores. CSU finished with 391 yards and was 10-of-18 on third down, but the game never was in doubt after the Tide built a 17-0 lead after its first three possessions. It was the Tide’s 67th
consecutive victory over an unranked team.

Texas A&M 45, UL-Lafayette 21
The host Aggies (2-1) looked lethargic in the first half, then woke up in the second half and cruised past the Ragin’ Cajuns (1-2). ULL led 21-14 at halftime, but the Aggies scored on their first three drives of the second half and also got a pick-six to blow it open. The Aggies were without star RB Trayveon Williams and likely starting QB Jake Hubenak, who were out with injuries. True freshman QB Kellen Mond threw for 301 yards and three TDs, and eight different Aggies caught passes that gained at least 10 yards. A&M finished with 480 total yards against a ULL defense that had been allowing 590.5 yards per game.

Georgia 42, Samford 14
Nick Chubb ran for 131 yards and two TDs as the host Bulldogs (3-0) whipped their FCS opponent. Georgia led 21-7 at halftime, then blew it open with 21 third-quarter points. Georgia rushed for 284 yards and held Samford to 22 yards on the ground. Georgia welcomes in Mississippi State next week in what has become a huge SEC showdown.

Auburn 24, Mercer 10
A week after being shut down in a loss at Clemson, the host Tigers (2-1) eased past their FCS opponent. Auburn led 10-3 at halftime, and Mercer cut the lead to 17-10 with a TD early in the final quarter. But Auburn RB Kamryn Pettway’s third TD of the game ended any suspense with 4:55 remaining. Auburn had 510 yards of offense but committed five turnovers. The Tigers were 12-of-17 on third down, but enabled the Bears (1-2) to hang around because of the turnovers. Pettway rushed for 128 yards, but it took him 34 carries. Tigers QB Jarrett Stidham was 32-of-37 for 364 yards.

My man has it out for the cocks eh? As gps said there are a ton of weapons. Hayden Hurst has only been targeted 8 times this season for 108 1TD because he has been schemed to block more to protect Bentley but that will have to open up now with Deebo out for 6 weeks. There are number of people that the public knows nothing about like our second tight end August who may be just as good as Hurst. My concern would be more with the regression of Roper that game. He had some questionable decisions such as using our speedy back to pick up 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 twice up the middle and missing. The run game of 2.7 ypp needs to be addressed. I thought Dowdle would be having a better year so far for sure. The o line is improved but seems that improvement has been for Bentley protection rather than run game.

Ole Miss hasn't looked as bad as they did Saturday night since the Orgeron era. Missed assignments, penalties, terrible decisions, and a questionable offensive approach all but ensured that Matt Luke won't get the gig. If their Alabama road trips are complete disasters, then there's a good chance that the train goes off the tracks.

I'm obviously biased, but I still think that State's defensive improvement is a little overblown. LSU's offensive line is really bad. However, Simmons is dominant, and their LBs are very good, but they don't have a true edge rusher, and their secondary can be had. The good news for them is that until they face a QB that can exploit their weaknesses, they should be able to limit most teams' run games. How good is UGA's OL? Can UGA beat State over the top?

LSU lost two defenders with targeting calls I think. Don't remember their names or what half it was in.
Donnie Alexander........no loss at all. Maybe thought the Aranda magic could turn him into a Debo or Duke...but nah

Neil Farrel.....young....really just hurts depth. especially if Rashard Lawrence isn't back

My man has it out for the cocks eh? As gps said there are a ton of weapons. Hayden Hurst has only been targeted 8 times this season for 108 1TD because he has been schemed to block more to protect Bentley but that will have to open up now with Deebo out for 6 weeks. There are number of people that the public knows nothing about like our second tight end August who may be just as good as Hurst. My concern would be more with the regression of Roper that game. He had some questionable decisions such as using our speedy back to pick up 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 twice up the middle and missing. The run game of 2.7 ypp needs to be addressed. I thought Dowdle would be having a better year so far for sure. The o line is improved but seems that improvement has been for Bentley protection rather than run game.

I'm a big fan of Bentley man, I saw his gritty comeback against South Florida, he's poised, intelligent and I can't wait for him to blossom. I have a good friend who goes there and I wish you guys well.

No doubt on the coaching mismatch. Didn't Clemson do this though, and it worked? Don't get me wrong.....Coach O was weird hire. and Canada hasn't shown me shit yet. Not worried about Aranda.

The penalties are alarming.

LSU offensive line is offensive....

No doubt on the coaching mismatch. Didn't Clemson do this though, and it worked? Don't get me wrong.....Coach O was weird hire. and Canada hasn't shown me shit yet. Not worried about Aranda.

The penalties are alarming.

LSU offensive line is offensive....
Even as a Gamecocks fan that used to say that all the time that Dabo is an idiot and he relies on his coordinators, I can admit that is not true even if it is still the narrative. Dabo is a way better coach than Ed ever will be, and his coordinators are better, and arguably his recruiting is better now too.

Hotter than a pistol. I don't know how long I have been saying this, but Butchie can't coach. He is a top notch recruiter, but has no clue how to call a ball game. Not only that, he can't hire anybody that can either.

I mean 1st n goal on the 1 with a RB that was tearing up the Gators D and they are in shotgun. End up throwing into double coverage. Then the back up QB comes in (Dormandy was shaken up on that play) and a QB sneak play was called but they false started.
Pay attention to what I just said. Then Dormandy comes back in a throws a pick.

How did I know a QB sneak was called? In Butchie presser today he said so. BUT they were in a SHOTGUN FORMATION then as well!?!? A QB sneak from a shotgun.

Another thing that pisses me off is no reporter in Knoxville has the balls to flag out question him during these presses.

Let's fast forward to the last play of the game. He said he wasn't in DIME formation because he didn't have enough DBs to put out there because of injuries.

@JimmyHyams: While Butch Jones said UT had too many inuuries to run dime package on last snap v. Florida, Vols actually had 5-6 other DBs available

m.twitte...

@JimmyHyams: Jones was unhappy UT didn't run ball with first and goal at 1. Said 2nd play was to be QB sneak but didn't want to run it with backup QB

m.twit...

Even as a Gamecocks fan that used to say that all the time that Dabo is an idiot and he relies on his coordinators, I can admit that is not true even if it is still the narrative. Dabo is a way better coach than Ed ever will be, and his coordinators are better, and arguably his recruiting is better now too.
I like Aranda. A ton.

Venables is good too......but fact is Clemson has out recruited LSU on the D line as of late....that is what you are seeing.

So while the O Co is better for sure......I am good with Aranda and wouldn't trade him for Clem guy. Although Aranda looked like dogshit on Sat.....

WAS it true is the question

No doubt on the coaching mismatch. Didn't Clemson do this though, and it worked?

Hire a head coach after he failed miserably as a head coach at the school's number-one rival? I don't think so.

Like Danny Ford, Dabo was an internal hire promoted directly from position coach to head coach with no head coaching or even coordinating experience. It was a gamble, but at least -- unlike Orgeron -- he did not have a track record of failure in that role.

It's pretty rare, and therefore pretty amazing that Clemson was so successful both times the administration saw a position coach with the "it" factor and took a chance. I imagine the Alabama pedigree didn't hurt.

Some of my SEC team takeaways from the games I watched.

Missouri was worse, if possible, than the score indicated. They were extremely disorganized on both sides of the ball. Effort was lacking. And late second quarter the body language was such that I (holding a mizz ticket) knew they were not going to make headway into their deficit. They were defeated and playing defeated. The QB has no confidence, the tackling is suspect for a power 5 school, ingame adjustments were non-existent (this coaching mismatch was known before the game started but damn), and the team just isn't executing well. Very difficult team to back going forward.

South Carolina - pretty much just shows the importance of offensive line play. They don't get it for the most part which makes it hard for the playmakers to matter for them. Their offense vs ncsu was nonproductive, their offense against missouri was nonproductive (which doesn't look good) and their offense vs kentucky was nonproductive. I think they are what they are in that regard and it will be that much more evident against better defensive lines. They play hard and they are opportunistic but they cannot win the trenches right now.

TAMU doesn't have an "it" factor. Mond actually played pretty good I thought but the offensive line which mashed ucla seemed to struggle at times against ull. ULL was the better team for over a half of football so don't let the score deceive you. "Dead Coach Walking" is a tough way to go through a season. The tackling is inconsistent at best and they miss the DL stud. Again, a tough team to back imo because I don't think they have an "edge" to them this season. Incidentally, the ULL rush defense may be horrible their offense is kinda nice.

I only saw the fourth quarter of the Florida Tennessee game and couldn't make heads or tails of that garbage. Meaning I don't think I learned anything from it.

And I didn't see a play of the Miss State LSU game though I think I will try and rewatch that somewhere.

Vanderbilt games are currently the slowest paced in America from a plays per game perspective and they play pretty good defense. Tough to lay big numbers against them I think.

Hire a head coach after he failed miserably as a head coach at the school's number-one rival? I don't think so.

Like Danny Ford, Dabo was an internal hire promoted directly from position coach to head coach with no head coaching or even coordinating experience. It was a gamble, but at least -- unlike Orgeron -- he did not have a track record of failure in that role.

It's pretty rare, and therefore pretty amazing that Clemson was so successful both times the administration saw a position coach with the "it" factor and took a chance. I imagine the Alabama pedigree didn't hurt.

Guy went from being a running joke, to creating an elite program. Guess he shut some people like me up from when he started. Oddly, I was cheering for him back then but he rubs me wrong now sometimes. Neither here nor there, it is hard to question the guy anymore.

WAS it true is the question

No, it wasn't true. He seemed corny and goofy and clownish at times. There was a lot of derision on handicapping discussion forums, and I think a lot of Clemson fans were a bit embarrassed at times, in a way that we weren't with Danny. I mean, Danny was country -- just salt of the earth. He was a captain under the Bear, and for all his genuine country demeanor he was nonetheless an academic All-America at Alabama. But I'll never forget whom he thanked first in the locker-room interview after Clemson beat Nebraska to win the 1981 MNC.

He thanked the coaches' wives! I'm still laughing as I type this.

Anyway, Dabo has two degrees from Alabama, and the University of Alabama is not graduating any idiots from its MBA program. He's a good CEO, he has shown the ability to hire and delegate wisely, he's a great marketer and salesman, he's passionate, and his personality connects with the target audience of high school football players and their parents.

Some of my SEC team takeaways from the games I watched.

Missouri was worse, if possible, than the score indicated. They were extremely disorganized on both sides of the ball.

The program is in trouble. Enrollment and attendance are way down since the controversy two years ago. Boosters have to be questioning their support of a program in which players threaten to strike and forfeit games. Things will get worse before they get better.

No, it wasn't true. He seemed corny and goofy and clownish at times. There was a lot of derision on handicapping discussion forums, and I think a lot of Clemson fans were a bit embarrassed at times, in a way that we weren't with Danny. I mean, Danny was country -- just salt of the earth. He was a captain under the Bear, and for all his genuine country demeanor he was nonetheless an academic All-America at Alabama. But I'll never forget whom he thanked first in the locker-room interview after Clemson beat Nebraska to win the 1981 MNC.

Anyway, Dabo has two degrees from Alabama, and the University of Alabama is not graduating any idiots from its MBA program. He's a good CEO, he has shown the ability to hire and delegate wisely, he's a great marketer and salesman, he's passionate, and his personality connects with the target audience of high school football players and their parents.
Well said.

When the yearly "Saban to Texas" rumors were happening every offseason for about 5 years, conversations on Alabama message boards would inevitably turn to who we'd want to replace Saban. Most people would advocate Kirby, or McElwain, if they were going to say anyone other than Urban, Gruden, Bill Cowher, etc. The idea of Dabo was laughed at, even as he was reeling off 11 win seasons and recruiting elite talent all over the field. Now, if the transition has to occur relatively soon, I hope Dabo will consider us. I think he would be the exact change from a personality standpoint from Saban, but still have the same ideas of building an elite program with recruiting and great line play. And Dabo's record on QBs is far and away better than Nick's

When the yearly "Saban to Texas" rumors were happening every offseason for about 5 years, conversations on Alabama message boards would inevitably turn to who we'd want to replace Saban. Most people would advocate Kirby, or McElwain, if they were going to say anyone other than Urban, Gruden, Bill Cowher, etc. The idea of Dabo was laughed at, even as he was reeling off 11 win seasons and recruiting elite talent all over the field. Now, if the transition has to occur relatively soon, I hope Dabo will consider us. I think he would be the exact change from a personality standpoint from Saban, but still have the same ideas of building an elite program with recruiting and great line play. And Dabo's record on QBs is far and away better than Nick's
This is my opinion, Why would Dabo wanna leave what he has built to follow up 2 legends at Bama. Those are some UGE shoes to fill. While at Clemson, he is the "Saban", the "Bear"

Of course this is "IF" Saban ever left. Which I seriously doubt he would. He will retire at Bama I think.

This is my opinion, Why would Dabo wanna leave what he has built to follow up 2 legends at Bama. Those are some UGE shoes to fill. While at Clemson, he is the "Saban", the "Bear"

Of course this is "IF" Saban ever left. Which I seriously doubt he would. He will retire at Bama I think.

Well, he's going to leave eventually. While I agree about the difficulty in following a legend, I think that most coaches are competitive enough and confident enough to think that they can do it. It's not impossible. Jimbo has followed up Bowden pretty well, though the program had dipped. I think the biggest thing we'd have in our favor is that it is home for Dabo, and the knowledge that you will always have the best of anything you can ask for. Though that may be true at Clemson as well. The biggest downside would be that a 10-3 season would have people calling for you to be fired

I meant the rest of your post...not the 1st part

I know he can recruit and evaluate talent properly....or his staff can

Not sold totally I guess on "him" per se(no disrespect...and he is doing something right. I just do not know how much is "him".....I digress, and I don't feel like typing all out what I mean I guess), but something is working and they are recruiting on another level right now.....they are the best team in CFB for me.

I looked at the Kelly Bryant offer list......lotttttttta people were off on him. Or he didnt fit the style, but not sure why he didnt have more offers

Mizzou under again. Crockett isn't healthy and they can't even run now. Their best bet is be very conservative and not turn it over and let their amazing punter(the punter is the best player in team right now) make Auburn go length of field. The game won't be close so both teams will just try to run it out in 4th. Even if Crockett turns out to be better it still helps under bc it means more grinder out first downs for mizzou but it won't be enough for points. It'll just give auburn a longer field. The only thing is the MU defense is real bad. They actually looked good against SC(points were from turnovers) but I think it's a product of SC having a sit on the ball type offense that really can't burn you with big plays. It was mentioned above that Stidham might run less which will help. Even if it's 21-0 in a blink of eye the game probably coasts to a 35-3ish like last week. The under last week was such a gift. I also took first half under 39.5 and the entire game didn't hit that.

Heard a stat I have a hard time believing so I will ask here and see what answers we get.

Who has the best SEC record the last 14 games in the SEC. Answer should be obvious but who has the 2nd best record?

OK all well and good re last week but how about some pix for this week. I'm still the guru of grade b games, but I am terrible on grade a conferences like sec. Last week I lost all 3 of my plays- Georgia, Tennessee, and parlay that included Scary at the ML. (The other half of parlay was a nice winner - Mercer +41 )

The numbers say Vandy but I'm thinking Tide is an ats winner this week.
I like Ark SU, and can UK finally beat Florida. ? Will Tenny come back with a cover against U Mass? And how about the big one between UGA and Messy State. ?
Anyone got the winners ?

The answer must be Florida right?

2017 1-0
2016 6-2 (6-3 with SEC Title)
2015 7-1 (7-2 with SEC Title)

Florida is 10-4 in their last 14 SEC games (W vs UT '17, LSU, SC, UGA, Miz, Vand, UK '16, SC, Vand, UGA '15) (L vs Bama, Ark, UT '16, Bama '15)

The answer must be Florida right?

2017 1-0
2016 6-2 (6-3 with SEC Title)
2015 7-1 (7-2 with SEC Title)

Florida is 10-4 in their last 14 SEC games (W vs UT '17, LSU, SC, UGA, Miz, Vand, UK '16, SC, Vand, UGA '15) (L vs Bama, Ark, UT '16, Bama '15)
I must have heard the incorrectly then I caught the tail end of the radio segment about betting UK Florida. It was Todd Furman's segment.

So he was talking about Florida then. Thanks s--k I was too busy to look (&lazy)

Happy to help...lol! Not sure when the last time UK was over .500 in SEC play, ever? Even the Rich Brooks "glory years" they'd go no better than .500 in SEC, clean up in the non-con and often win their bowl game for nice 7-8 win years, but UK always loses more than they win in SEC to my memory.

Wow. Looks like John Travolta was still banging Annette in the back of Bobby's car the last time Kentucky had a winning SEC record (10-1/6-0) in 1977.

Rashaan Evans, Anfernee Jennings and Dylan Moses have all been back at practice this week for Alabama. Last I read was to expect Evans to start, and the other two to get plenty of playing time. Will be good for Alabama to have their LB rotation back at near full speed. I'd expect a pretty good defensive effort against a marginal offense this weekend

If Alabam's havoc-creaters are healthy, I can't see protection having a chance for Vandy. Shurmur will see more of the sky than the end zone

Back