SEC Week 13 Discussion (also known as SEC-SoCon Challenge week)

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
A well deserved rest for several teams in the SEC. The weekly toll of playing Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Miss St, and South Carolina has worn down these elite programs, and I'm glad they are getting a break.

Alabama vs Western Carolina
AU vs Samford
aTm @ UGA
UK vs UT-Martin
Vandy vs East Tenn St
Arkansas @ LSU
Miss St vs Abilene-Christian
Tenn @ Mizzou

My PR lines:

UGA -14.5
LSU -45
Mizzou -5

Situational stuff:

UGA off a rivalry game in which they clinched the division, but they know they can't afford a loss. Still might be a little beat up.

LSU on auto-pilot? Does it even matter?

Tennessee battling for bowl eligibility, Mizzou in the tank lately

Alabama w/o Tua, and probably a number of other starters. Probably doesn't matter, but I could see myself taking the under depending on the number. Obviously have an eye on the game with AU the following week. Can't see AU playing their starters for long either against Samford

What is going on with Arkansas? Injuries? Redshirts? Why did they lose to W. Kentucky? WTF is going on with them?

It feels so mizzou under this coach to win these last 2 against a so so team and a complete dumpster fire so they can convince us he has them heading in the right direction. Seems like same bs different year, like freaking Groundhog Day.

What can anyone possibly like about Missouri?

Their D plays decent, but the O is pitiful.

On the other hand, Tennessee can be kinda ok at times, but not good either.

Tough game of equal below average teams - a hard game to bet I think.

Sad. Mizzou should be getting ready to play Kansas next week. That was a real rivalry. Nine- and 10-team conferences were better than these 14-team monstrosities.

UF plays Mizzou instead of Auburn. Georgia plays Mizzou instead of Clemson. And Mizzou's playing everyone under the sun except the only real rival it's ever had.

Last edited:
You are right MW. Missouri made a major blunder when they went to the SEC. They no longer have rivalries, they lost their identity. One branch of my family lives in Missouri and they are die-hard alums,, but they have no real interest in the teams coming to town except as a curiosity and no interest in traveling to an away game in any sport.

They made a lot of money I guess, but the Big 12 teams are making a bundle too. I'd like to see them go back. They're just treading water in the SEC

Not playing any of these games, but my guess is aTm will be the most motivated of any of them this week.The Aggies are playing a little better every week.

14 team conferences suck and the push for expansion and money grabs damage the roots and regionality of the game that matters to fans and neighboring school.

Then with these large super conferences we get this great idea, not. 8 conference games, teams only play 61.5% of their league - teams face less than 2/3 of their other league teams in a season. 9 game schedule in a 14 team league is only slightly better, teams still miss 4 fellow teams each year.

Make Tennessee play maryland, so Nebraska can play misery.
Maryland and Tennessee have a history. The 1951 Tennessee national championship team lost to Maryland in the Sugar Bowl, 28-13. So it sounds good to me,.

Texas A&M at Georgia is pretty interesting this week I think.
I'll be on the ML at some point.
UGA off the physical game, clinched the east, the one negative is that UGA has nothing to worry about next week vs. a cupcake "rival".
To me, the Ags should give effort this week, because they have no chance vs. LSU. If coach O was playing qb, they have little chance. The Tigers are going to want some flesh for last years 7ot game, even if it's scrubs playing.

What can anyone possibly like about Missouri?

Their D plays decent, but the O is pitiful.

On the other hand, Tennessee can be kinda ok at times, but not good either.

Tough game of equal below average teams - a hard game to bet I think.

Not as much liking them but as you say Vols equally average at best and mizzou track record is winning these late in year games vs other not so good sec teams. At home they have beaten several the sec teams I’d put right in same area as Vols. Just fact this number only -4 while they laid way more to ol piss (took the points in that one but wasn’t easy) and scary.

feel like there some value on this number w tigers at home due to how awful they been the last month but mostly on the road. They do have possibly the most drastic home/road splits in country. Think Bryant be more healthy this week and like I mentioned it just very much their MO to finish out strong in a couple winnable games and think we see the same thing these next 2 weeks (although no chance I’ll back them on road at arky) for me this just a very rare chance to bet them, maybe I’m being a homer but doesn’t sound right cause I fade them more than play on. Lol

Sad. Mizzou should be getting ready to play Kansas next week. That was a real rivalry. Nine- and 10-team conferences were better than these 14-team monstrosities.

UF plays Mizzou instead of Auburn. Georgia plays Mizzou instead of Clemson. And Mizzou's playing everyone under the sun except the only real rival it's ever had.

I hated when they jumped to sec. money grubbing whores..lol

Not as much liking them but as you say Vols equally average at best and mizzou track record is winning these late in year games vs other not so good sec teams. At home they have beaten several the sec teams I’d put right in same area as Vols. Just fact this number only -4 while they laid way more to ol piss (took the points in that one but wasn’t easy) and scary.

feel like there some value on this number w tigers at home due to how awful they been the last month but mostly on the road. They do have possibly the most drastic home/road splits in country. Think Bryant be more healthy this week and like I mentioned it just very much their MO to finish out strong in a couple winnable games and think we see the same thing these next 2 weeks (although no chance I’ll back them on road at arky) for me this just a very rare chance to bet them, maybe I’m being a homer but doesn’t sound right cause I fade them more than play on. Lol

Maybe so, but certainly not a very good spot for Missouri. I'm certainly biased too, but losers of 4 in a row scoring 27 combined in those losses. Gotta imagine Missouri might be a little more banged up after playing Georgia and Florida. Vols off a BYE and healthiest they have been all season. I'll trust Pruitt with 2 weeks to prepare a defensive game plan to keep Missouri's offense anemic.

No doubt Texas and Oklahoma were at fault. They demanded more power--and more money--than the rest of the schools. That's a selfish attitude and a stupid way to run a conference.

I don't blame Nebraska and Missouri and Colorado for telling Texas and Oklahoma FU. I would have done the same thing.

The result was the Big 12 wound up worse off, but all three of those schools wound up worse off as well. They make more money, but they lost their identities. They now have no rivals, have trouble recruiting, and all are worse off than they were before they left.

One of those case studies where the schools that stayed and the schools that left did what they thought was smart and what would benefit them and yet everyone lost.

No doubt Texas and Oklahoma were at fault. They demanded more power--and more money--than the rest of the schools. That's a selfish attitude and a stupid way to run a conference.

I can't counter this. Part of our problem (at the feet of old AD Dodds) has been an infatuation with money. Not saying that's necessarily wrong but we just go overboard and it has become nauseating. Small example is attending a home game in Austin - the entire atmosphere is whored out and polluted with ads and commercials to point where it's become pathetic. For many years now. And we're bathing in money overall but still feel the need to squeeze out more wherever we can.

It will probably never happen, but I still have hopes Nebraska and Missouri will come to their senses and come back to the Big 12.

It's almost comical when you think of it--all the teams that stayed and all the teams that left are worse off since the split, and all of them would be better off if they came back, and yet they probably won't do it.

All the suits in the executive jobs at colleges are people whose jobs are secure even when they completely screw up so they just refuse to admit their errors. We've seen it over and over and over

Alright enough about that half a conference in this SEC thread. I think the fact that Oklahoma has little more than a tiny sniff at the CFB playoffs with 1 loss tells us all we need to know about how much the suits care about the fans.

I would be careful with the Aggies vs Georgia. Last week they played a team that had given up on the season and didn’t take control until well into the 3rd quarter. As much as Herman gets questioned why is Jimbo getting a pass with all those resources and that insane contract? And that’s with a gifted/stolen win on last years record. These teams are on two different levels and playing fields despite how the Aggies feel about themselves. A&M hosting Auburn and vs Arkansas told me all I needed to know. Georgia will use this game as a scrimmage for the SEC championship and end it by halftime. Georgia reminds me of a BCS era SEC championship team and they are starting to peak at the right time. The Natty is not out of their reach by any means.

I'm not good at defending A&M but has any team ever had to play three #1 teams, a #4 team and a #8 team, in the same season?

The issue with UGA is, it's offense goes with Cager. If he gets dinged, they roll up into a ball. The baby Bulldog receivers are incapable of picking up his slack. Their defense will keep them in games, but Fromm cant seem to buy a decent completion without Cager in the game.

Conversely, A&M "D" has been atrocious. Kaepernick Jr. has no touch and rifles balls into receivers. He makes the right read more times than not, but it is hard to catch a fastball 5 yards away.

UGA up early and leans on th he ground game to eat clock. Backdoor should be open, but can the Aggies take advantage? 24-13 Bulldogs sounds about right.

Not that there's any reason to wager on the game, but I would expect Alabama to run their first string offense and play-calling a while longer in this one than normal, in order to get Mac Jones comfortable leading up to auburn.

Not that there's any reason to wager on the game, but I would expect Alabama to run their first string offense and play-calling a while longer in this one than normal, in order to get Mac Jones comfortable leading up to auburn.
Good point

It will probably never happen, but I still have hopes Nebraska and Missouri will come to their senses and come back to the Big 12.

It's almost comical when you think of it--all the teams that stayed and all the teams that left are worse off since the split, and all of them would be better off if they came back, and yet they probably won't do it.

All the suits in the executive jobs at colleges are people whose jobs are secure even when they completely screw up so they just refuse to admit their errors. We've seen it over and over and over

I really miss it for hoops. Was much more entertaining to me when mizzou was in big12, the football too but just totally lost interest in their basketball program once they went to sec.

A few days old, copying it here as it sounds like it will be something Cager has to play through assuming he can.

Wide receiver Lawrence Cager left the Auburn game in the first quarter after making just one catch.

On Saturday, Smart discussed the injury, which came to the shoulder that has been bothering Cager all season.

“He took a shot, and it bothered him. He took a shot on the (fourth) play of the game I think, maybe, and it started bothering him.”

On Monday, Smart updated Cager’s status.

“Cager will be cleared to practice, it will just be a matter of if he can sustain,” Smart said.

I agree, and I'm going over in this one.

So is Nick really gonna burn Tua 2’s redshirt in mop up duty in this game? Do you have any input on Bama’s 4th string QB? I may have heard wrong but it was a topic on local radio about Lil Tua being put in a game earlier in the season to make a couple handoffs and it resulting in his 4 game limit being reached going in to this weekend. This true/Thoughts?

gonna be raining throughout aTm/ Jorga. (waiting on a response of the type rain... (gully washer or lite drizzle), If anyone is on the ground there please chime in...
But Jorga knows how to run the ball as long as they do not turn the ball over.
Lean Under there

gonna be raining throughout aTm/ Jorga. (waiting on a response of the type rain... (gully washer or lite drizzle), If anyone is on the ground there please chime in...
But Jorga knows how to run the ball as long as they do not turn the ball over.
Lean Under there
It’s just pissing but moderate at times. Not heavy by any stretch. Athens should get a half inch for the day with SSW at 10-15. Obviously I’m not close enough to give a true update, but that’s what I’m seeing from this pushing thru

Back