SEC Week 0/1

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Seeing BAR's B1G thread got me fired up to start talking some football. I am in the very beginnings of my SEC capping. I've basically read a couple of preview mags and whatever pops up on my Twitter feed. I don't think there's much debate at the top of the conference, or the very bottom, but teams 3-12/13 are very interesting. A lot of scenarios could play out. I'm trying to figure out if a 3rd team will rise above that pack, or will there be a lot of pretty good teams that end up going 8-4? Should be a very competitive conference this year, at least once you get past UGA and Alabama, though I can totally buy that those 2 will slip up a game or two.

I can talk Alabama later in the thread, though I'm not sure I can provide anything that most of y'all don't already know.

Here are my initial PR, based mainly off of last year and what they have coming back:

Alabama
UGA

aTm
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Florida
S Carolina
LSU
Miss St

Mizzou
AU

Vandy

Hopefully I'll be able to refine some as practice reports, depth charts, etc become more readily available. You could re-order that 2nd tier in 100 ways and I wouldn't argue it.

Looking forward to a great and profitable season

Surprised Ole Miss that high, LSU that low
They are basically interchangeable. I'd have LSU as a favorite over Ole Miss in BR as of today. And vice versa. Plus, it's just my first run-through, based pretty heavily on where they finished last season. I'm of the opinion that Brian Kelly will do very well there. Not the recruiter that O was, but for everything else, pretty big upgrade

Mainly agree GPS the middle/lower tier super interchangeable.

LSU should be pretty spot on DL. The CBs are a question and LB in a way. The OL could get dicey. The QB depth is pretty nice as is WR

WR JoJo Earle has a broken foot and will be out 6-8 weeks. He was one of the many WR Alabama is hoping to step up to fill the void at the position. Not a huge loss per se, but it is a hit to the depth at a position where there are few proven players. He was also in the running to start as a return man

I'm becoming concerned that Ole Miss doesn't have a QB. RB is loaded, and the OL is fine. There's potential in the WR room, but potential has never caught a TD. My guess is that if Dart doesn't put serious distance between himself and Altmyer then Kiffin is going with Altmyer, and Ole Miss will be much more run oriented.

Ole Miss DL and secondary should be pretty good. LB is a major concern.

I'm becoming concerned that Ole Miss doesn't have a QB. RB is loaded, and the OL is fine. There's potential in the WR room, but potential has never caught a TD. My guess is that if Dart doesn't put serious distance between himself and Altmyer then Kiffin is going with Altmyer, and Ole Miss will be much more run oriented.

Ole Miss DL and secondary should be pretty good. LB is a major concern.
Dart hasn't separated himself?

Nuss was running 1st team he’s out though. Daniels and Nuss will both play gotta think early on at least.

Seems Brennan. Just kinda punked out when informed he wasn’t starter

They are basically interchangeable. I'd have LSU as a favorite over Ole Miss in BR as of today. And vice versa. Plus, it's just my first run-through, based pretty heavily on where they finished last season. I'm of the opinion that Brian Kelly will do very well there. Not the recruiter that O was, but for everything else, pretty big upgrade

I think talent just falls into your lap at lsu so don’t think recruiting as vital. Obviously you gotta have dudes but doesn’t lsu get dudes anyway? I think Kelly will prob win a natty here.

Will be interesting to see who Alabama’s 3rd permanent opponent will be. I assume AU and Tennessee will be locked in. Hate to lose the LSU game every year, but Mississippi St makes the most sense from a proximity standpoint.

Will be interesting to see who Alabama’s 3rd permanent opponent will be. I assume AU and Tennessee will be locked in. Hate to lose the LSU game every year, but Mississippi St makes the most sense from a proximity standpoint.
Yea tall definitely keep those 2….LSU would have cache obviously over Moo St.
I bet LSU fans are pretty split between Bama/FLA game.

A couple of Alabama notes after 2 scrimmages:

Jahmyr Gibbs may end up having an impact similar to Jameson Williams last year
But Eli Ricks may not. Injury recovery and learning the defense have proven to be more difficult than anticipated
OL is rounding into shape as Vandy transfer Steen is on the cusp of winning the starting LT job. Won't have anyone as good as Evan Neal this year, but looking they may be a more consistent unit as a whole
Starting TE Cam Latu is out for a few weeks due to injury. Haven't seen a definitive timeline, but he is a loss if he can't play in the first few games

Not Alabama, but saw a tweet that Zach Calzada is running 3rd string QB at AU

A couple of Alabama notes after 2 scrimmages:

Jahmyr Gibbs may end up having an impact similar to Jameson Williams last year
But Eli Ricks may not. Injury recovery and learning the defense have proven to be more difficult than anticipated
OL is rounding into shape as Vandy transfer Steen is on the cusp of winning the starting LT job. Won't have anyone as good as Evan Neal this year, but looking they may be a more consistent unit as a whole
Starting TE Cam Latu is out for a few weeks due to injury. Haven't seen a definitive timeline, but he is a loss if he can't play in the first few games

Not Alabama, but saw a tweet that Zach Calzada is running 3rd string QB at AU

Calzada has been hampered by his recovery from the shoulder injury and “learning the system “. That’s what the word is anyway. Personally I think the Mercer game is huge for the QB position. The Bears are projected to be a top 20 team and are going to be stout on D. Even if Finley does well, Ashford is going to be getting some snaps. And if Finley has not improved his accuracy, he may get a lot of playing time. Personally I don’t think the position is settled. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I think we’ll at least get some answers

Calzada has been hampered by his recovery from the shoulder injury and “learning the system “. That’s what the word is anyway. Personally I think the Mercer game is huge for the QB position. The Bears are projected to be a top 20 team and are going to be stout on D. Even if Finley does well, Ashford is going to be getting some snaps. And if Finley has not improved his accuracy, he may get a lot of playing time. Personally I don’t think the position is settled. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I think we’ll at least get some answers
You are obviously closer, but all the talk here is it’s Finley all day…

Finley has clearly been working on his mobility, as evidenced by him avoiding those campus police trying to detain him for riding a Vespa without a helmet

Greene is pretty much the only roadblock to firing Harsin right?

tons of speculators going on about Jimbo's choice for #1. It's almost comical.
Max to start, with King also in the backfield/King has always been the starter/Jimbo is waiting bcux he's gonna name the frosh as QB1.
I've watched many camp highlights.
Max looks like a more pure passer, King can run and has speed, CW looks just as good, but you can see more the feet positions/pitches/passes seem more mechanical than natural. Just what you'd expect and not a knock on the kid.

tons of speculators going on about Jimbo's choice for #1. It's almost comical.
Max to start, with King also in the backfield/King has always been the starter/Jimbo is waiting bcux he's gonna name the frosh as QB1.
I've watched many camp highlights.
Max looks like a more pure passer, King can run and has speed, CW looks just as good, but you can see more the feet positions/pitches/passes seem more mechanical than natural. Just what you'd expect and not a knock on the kid.
If Lefty Max really looks like the more pure passer, y’all are fuxked at QB

I have no opinion on Vandy tonight. My first instinct is to fade them, but as mentioned in the ML dog thread, Hawaii looks to be historically bad this year. Stay away from me, though I may fire in a halftime bet while watching. Actually have a chance to stay up for it since I’m in pacific time zone this weekend

Spitballing here but looking at the LSU/FSU game in the starters I would say on paper the Dline of LSU should get a push on the Noles.

FSU seems to have some good safeties and CBs(not as good as the S position though), LSU has some really good WRs.

LSU at LB and CBs are a question for me at this point…FSU has a Johnny 6’7”.

Guys that watched the P12 a lot. What do y’all think of Daniels with some WRs around him at LSU?

Guys that watched the P12 a lot. What do y’all think of Daniels with some WRs around him at LSU?

Before last season the read on him was does not turn it over and can run, will run, but doesn't look to run first. Then last year he had a 10-10 ratio and ran for 700y. So I don't know exactly. If LSU has WRs that can go up and win on deep balls the he will get it in the area pretty regularly.

Putting this here for LSU/FSU. Touched on the WRs a bit and everyone knows the next LSU 1st rounder Kayshon Boutte, but every….and I mean every report is saying Malik Nabers might be another Jordan Jefferson.

Gotta expect FSU to test LSU’s corners

Back