SEC Week 0/1

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
I'm ready to start talking about the games themselves. Will add any other news in this thread as well.

Week 0:

Florida -7 vs Miami (Orlando)

Week 1:

aTm -34.5 vs Texas St

Kentucky -12 vs Toledo

Miss St -22.5 vs UL-L (New Orleans)

Ole Miss +6 @ Memphis

Tennessee -25.5 vs Georgia St

SCAR -7.5 vs UNC (Charlotte)

Alabama -34 vs Duke (Atlanta)

Georgia -21 @ Vanderbilt

Auburn -3 vs Oregon (Dallas)

LSU -27 vs Georgia Southern

Mizzou -17.5 @ Wyoming

Arkansas vs Portland St (No line yet)

Ole Miss looks like the best bet to me.

Also looking at the Statesboro Blues and the Ragin' Cajuns.

An extremely reliable lookahead angle points to Texas State, but the increased tempo of the Boobcats under the new OC will extend the game and presumably expand the margin.

5Dimes has Arkansas -26.5 with a total of 60.5.

I think I really like UGA here. Vandy strength on offense figures to be the RB, and UGA is as good as anyone against the run. No HFA to speak of, in fact I'd wager there will be more UGA fans than Vandy fans at the game. Feels like a 45-10 game to me

Sure, it feels that way, but historically this is the kind of game Vandy inexplicably covers.

Sure, it feels that way, but historically this is the kind of game Vandy inexplicably covers.

Last 2 seasons it's been 41-13 and 45-14. I think Kirby has washed the stink of Richt off the program by now.

Hearing some chatter that Bo Nix will be named starter at AU. I know he's the more talented player, but I don't understand the thinking here. Gus is back to calling plays, and while he's a gifted play-caller, his best offenses had a significant runner at QB. Not saying Nix isn't athletic, but he is definitely more of a pocket passer. I'm really interested to see this game.

That's the point. Two blowout victories over Vandy will typically lead to taking them lightly.

I think 1st game of the season with no lookahead mitigates that. These guys are tired of hitting each other, ready to take it out on someone else

That's the point. Two blowout victories over Vandy will typically lead to taking them lightly.
Going back to 1980, teams that beat Vandy by 28+ the year before and by 8+ the year before that are 3-20 ATS.

Last edited:
Talk to me about Ole Miss. What makes them such a strong play?

Talk to me about Ole Miss. What makes them such a strong play?
It's an SEC team getting more points than they've ever gotten from an inferior program. (Previous high was + 3 in 2005.) Rebels are 8-0 ATS (7-0-1 SU) vs Memphis when the line is > -2.5. Two great coordinator hires by Ole Miss. They have their full compliment of scholarships again. Memphis lost their difference-maker at tailback, and it's not like they have a Danny Wimprine at QB. They've played three times in the last five seasons, and Ole Miss was favored by double digits each time and covered spreads of -20.5 in 2014 and -16 in 2016.

This is not a historically extreme situation that justifies an historically extreme pointspread.

Bammers: Hearing that prized LA recruit from last year DT Ish Sopsher is fat and weak(rumored all during recruiting this isnt sour grapes, check old posts)

true?

Oregon‘s o-line has gone in a totally different direction under Cristobal both physically and conceptually. Hard to imagine it handling strong SEC-level physicality

aren't they considered one of the best O-lines in the NATION?

isnt O Line Cristobal's background?

Bammers: Hearing that prized LA recruit from last year DT Ish Sopsher is fat and weak(rumored all during recruiting this isnt sour grapes, check old posts)

true?

I'm not sure how the public message boards talked about him, but the folks I talk to were never really impressed by him. Haven't heard anything good or bad on him in camp that I can recall

I'd be surprised if Goodman has any real contact with anyone of importance within the program. He's the writer who said last year that our basketball team would be better without Collin Sexton. As for his tidbits:

Robinson has played more than Najee so far due to some injury stuff, so yeah I guess you could say he's outperformed him. And Robinson is much better than his recruiting rank would suggest

McKinney is a badass, but I've heard more than once that Anfernee Jennings is the leader on defense

Billingsley is good at a thin position, but needs a full year in S&C before he breaks out IMO

I wouldn't expect much out of Ben Davis, but he may actually see the field this year which is an improvement

And yes Waddle is a freak. Not sure about best on the team, but he is a future NFL player

Hearing some chatter that Bo Nix will be named starter at AU. I know he's the more talented player, but I don't understand the thinking here. Gus is back to calling plays, and while he's a gifted play-caller, his best offenses had a significant runner at QB. Not saying Nix isn't athletic, but he is definitely more of a pocket passer. I'm really interested to see this game.

Bo Nix named starter today

We may discussed it the other thread.
Bama first halves this yr?

I don't see why not, at least until we get to the better defenses on the schedule. It sounds like there will be a more concerted effort to use the run game and more high percentage throws, but the offense should still be an efficiency machine. Hopefully there has been enough self-scouting and practice to counteract what LSU, Miss St, UGA and Clemson were able to do last year

Any thoughts on UT/GAST? I'm leaning Vols and over here. Feels like a game UT wants to make a statement and I expect big improvements with Chaney back.

Might rethink that Alabama 1h this week. Najee Harris and Brian Robinson (1&2 on depth chart) suspended for the 1h for missing a team function. Or it just means Tua has to throw it more and he throws 4 TDs

Add Devonta Smith and Terrell Lewis to that list. Probably not a big deal overall, but not a good way to start the season for 4 guys who are expected to be big contributors this season

Any thoughts on UT/GAST? I'm leaning Vols and over here. Feels like a game UT wants to make a statement and I expect big improvements with Chaney back.

I definitely lean Tennessee, no real feel on the total. I agree that Chaney is an upgrade, and there's plenty of experience on the offensive side of the ball, so points could come in bunches in this one

Apparently Dylan Moses tore his ACL and is out for the season. This has been as bad an August as I can remember

Apparently Dylan Moses tore his ACL and is out for the season. This has been as bad an August as I can remember
I literally gasped when I read your first sentence. Sorry to hear that. I know that ILB was a depth issue already, and I understand the importance of Moses to the defense regardless of how good his replacement might be.

I need to crawl out from under a rock. How South Carolina's game with North Carolina slipped under my nose is beyond me. Can't wait to watch this. Muschamp is not exactly a fan of Brown's (and their wives especially don't get along).

I need to crawl out from under a rock. How South Carolina's game with North Carolina slipped under my nose is beyond me. Can't wait to watch this. Muschamp is not exactly a fan of Brown's (and their wives especially don't get along).
I understand the bad blood between the coaches, but what's this about the wives?

I've taken the plunge and played USC -6 for the 1H.

Sally (Brown) was effectively the Co-Head Coach while her husband was at Texas. She had her own way, or the highway, of running things primarily relating to off-field activities. Carol (Muschamp) wasn't always in line with how those things were run. We can safely say she was happy when Will got the job offer in Coumbia.

I literally gasped when I read your first sentence. Sorry to hear that. I know that ILB was a depth issue already, and I understand the importance of Moses to the defense regardless of how good his replacement might be.

Most of our fanbase is in full melt down mode. It is certainly not ideal, but I'm not ready to concede being favorites in the West or SEC just yet. The two guys who are replacing the starters in the middle are both likely future NFL players, they are just freshmen and will make freshmen mistakes. Also have to factor in that this will be a much longer season than they have played to date. Offense will have to be on their game if we are to beat teams like UGA or Clemson, should we get the opportunity

Sally (Brown) was effectively the Co-Head Coach while her husband was at Texas. She had her own way, or the highway, of running things primarily relating to off-field activities. Carol (Muschamp) wasn't always in line with how those things were run. We can safely say she was happy when Will got the job offer in Coumbia.
And I'm pretty sure she'd been to Columbia before. so that speaks volumes about the conditions she was fleeing.

Most of our fanbase is in full melt down mode. It is certainly not ideal, but I'm not ready to concede being favorites in the West or SEC just yet. The two guys who are replacing the starters in the middle are both likely future NFL players, they are just freshmen and will make freshmen mistakes. Also have to factor in that this will be a much longer season than they have played to date. Offense will have to be on their game if we are to beat teams like UGA or Clemson, should we get the opportunity
Really unfortunate for Moses, but the bright side is the potential of Harris and Lee and the coaching staff ability to get them ready. These first couple games will really help get them going I think.

Back