SEC Scheduling

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
I saw a tweet that said the SEC will mandate at least 1 OOC game from each team against a team from the big 5....do I have that right, or close to it?

I saw a tweet that said the SEC will mandate at least 1 OOC game from each team against a team from the big 5....do I have that right, or close to it?

Big deal when all other major conferences play 9 conference games, should play 10+ games against anyone with a pulse. See USC.

Big deal when all other major conferences play 9 conference games, should play 10+ games against anyone with a pulse. See USC.
they play one less game right?

And SEC plays itself KJ, cmon we have been through this

LSU opens neutral with Wisky

I cant speak for Bama tho...

C'mon twink SEC schedule isn't better than the others, it's ruined the sport already, time to save face

So LSU plays Whisky and 8 SEC games, what's that mean? That they're more fresh for the postseason than any other team? I get it, the SEC is smart and plays the game well.

Which sucks, cuz college ball was about the game until it became about the money, and that's why we're where we are

I cannot speak to all but I bet you start seeing teams play one and other more now...

And it aint just the SEC, you know this.......Ohio St wasnt playing the toughest teams either...not to single them out

Why can't they play a 9 game conf schedule like everyone else unless it's fear?

It's sad really

smart I guess, still sad

dirty south ftw, workin it out

I just hate CFB anymore, a once great sport that has deteriorated into politics and greed, it was the greatest thing growing up. Now it's just about advantages.

Schedule used to be 11 games which was 10 good and a cupcake

They made it 12 games for money reasons only and so a lot of teams just added another cupcake

can't hold it against em for playing the system

props to USC for not doing that

USC also used to not play a championship game and get to better post season games because of it also...no one is perfect

Should Notre Dame get props for playing Air Force every year?

All these schools can get beat up for the scheduling.....USC included

Like I said, I really think it gets better going forward for ALL schools

they are all gonna start playing each other

Sure, but no 1AA teams ever, they play a real schedule every year, their cupcake might be Colorado St or Notre Dame

is that better than LSU's?

2014 USC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Aug. 30 – Fresno State
Sept. 6 – at Stanford
Sept. 13 – at Boston College
Sept. 27 – Oregon State
Oct. 4 – Arizona State
Oct. 11 – at Arizona
Oct. 18 – Colorado
Oct. 25 – at Utah
Nov. 1 – at Washington State
Nov. 13 (Th.) – California
Nov. 22 – at UCLA
Nov. 29 – Notre Dame

twink, NCAA FB is what it is, a shadow of what it once was

It's a political, money grabbing disaster that is no more intriguing than arena football, they are parallel except ESPN pimps the shit out of it. It's been destroyed and might as well be a professional sport, it's fallen ill to the money grab. And I have to quit bitching and adapt, but it just isn't college football anymore

[TABLE="class: tablehead, width: 756"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">[TR="class: oddrow team-23-275"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Aug 30[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent, align: left"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]9:00 PM ET [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Buy on StubHub[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-2534, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Sept 6[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1, align: left"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]TBD[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Buy on StubHub[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2433"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Sept 13[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]TBD[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]573 available from $64[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-344, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Sept 20[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]533 available from $102[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-166"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Sept 27[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-2, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Oct 4[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-57"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Oct 11[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-96, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Oct 18[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-145"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Oct 25[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-333, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Nov 8[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-8"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Sat, Nov 15[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-245, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Thu, Nov 27[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

2014 USC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Aug. 30 – Fresno State
Sept. 6 – at Stanford
Sept. 13 – at Boston College
Sept. 27 – Oregon State
Oct. 4 – Arizona State
Oct. 11 – at Arizona
Oct. 18 – Colorado
Oct. 25 – at Utah
Nov. 1 – at Washington State
Nov. 13 (Th.) – California
Nov. 22 – at UCLA
Nov. 29 – Notre Dame

missing Sam Houston and ULM like you got next year

Sam Houston game interesting if nothing else I guess

twink, NCAA FB is what it is, a shadow of what it once was

It's a political, money grabbing disaster that is no more intriguing than arena football, they are parallel except ESPN pimps the shit out of it. It's been destroyed and might as well be a professional sport, it's fallen ill to the money grab. And I have to quit bitching and adapt, but it just isn't college football anymore
i pretty much agree with you here

all except the not intriguing part....I think it has never been more popular. The problem would be the haves and the have nots..

But I seriously think we are headed in the right direction and all the big teams will be forced to play each other more...I really do

they have to have the home games bro...is what it is

unlike USC, alotta people go to the games

you don't think alotta people go to home games in the Watts? they do and need home games as well, they just don't give in

@Lambeau in 2016 vs Wisconsin.....just for Clown car. cant say these things are regional anymore:hello:

you don't think alotta people go to home games in the Watts? they do and need home games as well, they just don't give in
I do not think USC gets the amount of people to home games that many other schools do....no I don't

am I wrong? I could certainly be...

@ Carrier Dome in 2015 too...wayyyyyyy up north

anything to do in the Cuse? I may have to make that one

I do not think USC gets the amount of people to home games that many other schools do....no I don't

am I wrong? I could certainly be...

when they're good they pack it in, just gotta dodge a couple bullets on the way to the turnstyle

I cannot ... but I can say you have a chance of losing it ... see how that works?
we shall see

have a chance of losing the one in TX soon here

I cannot believe you think these things are so weighted on neutrals...blows my mind CC

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva blasted a decision by the SEC Sunday to maintain permanent cross division opponents in football beginning with the 2016 season. Alleva said the 10-4 vote was made in the "self interest" of individual schools rather than for competitive fairness of the conference overall.
"I'm disappointed in the fact that the leadership of our conference doesn't understand the competitive advantage permanent partners give to certain institutions," Alleva said. "I tried to bring that up very strongly at the meeting today. In our league we share the money and expenses equally but we don't share our opponents equally."
Alleva said the decision was locked in for 6-to-8 years and means LSU will continue to play Florida, a perennially top-ranked program, which won two BCS titles since 2006. He pointed out that since 2000 LSU has played Florida and Georgia, another league powerhouse, 19 times, and Alabama has played them eight times.

"That is a competitive disadvantage," he said. "There are a lot of other examples."
The conference also voted to maintain the eight-game schedule in which each team will play six division rivals, and one permanent and one rotating foe from the other division. The league will also require its teams to schedule a non-conference foe each season from one of the other four power conferences - the ACC, Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 12. The conference will assist teams with the scheduling to ensure teams meet the requirement.

Alleva said he understood the historical aspect of keeping the cross-division format intact. The Georgia-Auburn game is the conference's oldest rivalry and the Alabama-Tennessee game maintains significant meaning. He chided other schools for acting in their own "self interest".
"If I'm Ole Miss and I'm playing Vanderbilt, I'll vote to play Vanderbilt," Alleva said. "If I'm Mississippi State and I'm playing Kentucky, I'm going to vote to play Kentucky. People voted their own self interest instead of what is in the best interest of competitive balance.
"I understand Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia for the history, but that's only four schools. The rest were voting in their own self-interest. They could have kept those games and the rest of us rotated. That was brought up but voted down.
"I'm not pushing for the self-interest of LSU. I'm pushing for the equity."
Alleva said he has no problem with playing schools from the other power conferences. LSU has sought opponents from those leagues in the past including Oregon, TCU, North Carolina and West Virginia. LSU has future games scheduled with Wisconsin, UCLA, Syracuse and Arizona State.
"I'm good with that," he said. "If you look at our history we do that. I have no problem with it. People say its hard to schedule those games but if you really try you can get those games. you have to schedule them way out ahead. It's just an excuse for teams that don't want to do it."
SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said tradition was the main reason for staying with the permanent cross-division setup and SEC strength of schedule was a deciding factor in staying with eight games.
"Tradition matters in the SEC, and there is no denying that tradition was a significant factor in this decision because it protects several long-standing cross-division conference rivalries," Slive said. "It has been a hallmark of the SEC over our history to be able to make continued progress while also maintaining traditions important to our institutions.
"The existing strength of the SEC was certainly a significant factor in the decision to play eight games. In fact, just last year, five of our schools comprised the top five toughest schedules in the nation according to the NCAA and nine ranked in the top 20.
"A number of our schools play annual ACC opponents, and recent history shows our schools are already playing a significant number of strong non-conference opponents across the country on a home and home basis or in neutral site games."
The permanent non-division opponents are as listed below:
· Alabama (west) vs. Tennessee (east)
· Arkansas (west) vs. Missouri (east)
· Auburn (west) vs. Georgia (east)
· LSU (west) vs. Florida (east)
· Ole Miss (west) vs. Vanderbilt (east)
· Mississippi State (west) vs. Kentucky (east)
· Texas A&M (west) vs. South Carolina (east)

LOL at Mike Slive talking tradition when the landscape is ever evolving and you just absorbed TX A&M and Mizzou, tradition gets tossed right there

Your conference is big enough, play 9 conference games you lemming, quit patting yourself on the back with how "strong" your conference is because it plays, on average, weaker competition

The conference has been no better than about 3 other conferences for awhile now, get over yourself

Why not play great teams? SEC teams can lose and they only drop 2 spots in the rankings (if that) where if other teams lose they drop 8-10....They have ESPN in their pocket

Agree with Alleva? Anyone?

LSU's mad that they have to play a 5-7 team while Alabama gets to play...a 5-7 team? It's not that I disagree with the LSU AD and their fans, but it's a bad look to publicly cry like they do. LSU is one of the best at scheduling good OOC opponents. Alabama does too. Since '07, Alabama has played FSU, Clemson, Va Tech (twice), Penn St (twice), and Michigan, and has games scheduled with West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Michigan St. Florida is probably the highest profile team that doesn't, but in fairness, they play FSU every year.

When the SEC coaches voted on adding a 9th conference game, it was 13-1 against it. The one in favor? Nick Saban. I hate games against the 1-AA teams as a fan, but I understand why they do it. And this new rule doesn't change much. I think there are only 4 teams that don't have a Big 5 OOC game this year. And UF, SC, and UGA have one every year against the same opponent. Once an 12-1 SEC Champ gets shut out of the playoff due to SOS, they will move to 9 conference games. But I worry that when that happens, the 3 OOC games will be diminished even further

gotdamn tru, i didn't realize that other thread was that old. Timing good that y'all mentioned my name. Been doing shitloads of work but not getting my Phil The Thrill in hand until tomorrow night when I go to watch the UFC with a buddy who just got back from the states. Brutally late start to him but I've gotten a lot done and should be up to speed pretty quickly, before the end of the month for sure.

gotdamn tru, i didn't realize that other thread was that old. Timing good that y'all mentioned my name. Been doing shitloads of work but not getting my Phil The Thrill in hand until tomorrow night when I go to watch the UFC with a buddy who just got back from the states. Brutally late start to him but I've gotten a lot done and should be up to speed pretty quickly, before the end of the month for sure.

Good to see u around kid. Damn Steele is jus now gettin to you? Main downfall to livin in tha rica then. I already got 2 fbs chalkie bets and a fcs one in already. I'm interested in seein ur ball state squad after losin wenning.

In Lembo We Trust

Feel free to disregard the Nadders at your own risk, but I'm so thankful that Wake and UConn hired other (inferior, I'm quite sure) coaches. Maybe this will be the year they can get over the hump and win a bowl game. That has to be the main goal. But obviously there's a glaring hole at QB that you're never quite sure will be filled until you see it. I look forward to seeing what they'll try to do on offense.

Confirmed that Alabama and USC will play opening game at jerry world in 2016. We play Wisconsin there next year I'm pretty sure

Back