SEC Preseason

I figure if Bo Wallace was the best they had and they couldn't really get him to play any better than he did, then they probably won't be any better. They really have never run the ball against anyone with a pulse.

I figure if Bo Wallace was the best they had and they couldn't really get him to play any better than he did, then they probably won't be any better. They really have never run the ball against anyone with a pulse.

That's pretty much it. They have a top tier defense, but the offense has lacked consistency. Not sure what Treadwell we'll see this year either. But they do return the whole OL, so it's not much of a stretch to say they'll be better running than last year. The top end talent at Mississippi is as good as anyone, they just don't have enough of it

A little boy asked Summy about Mack. "When he got here and we got him on the scale, it didn't register. We took him over to the equestrian complex and that scale read 350." Something along the lines of "Our 106 lb. full time nutritionist and Daylon had different dietary needs, Daylon was eating quad-burgers in the nutrition center when he showed up. But now we've got him down to 335, and we've got him just about right for the fall."

Another kid asked Sumlin if he's brought in Navy Seals again for special training. Sumlin responded with a smirk and the quote of the night. "Just because you didn't read it on TexAgs, doesn't mean it didn't happen." (apparently they did that a week or two ago)

I like Cubs PR a bit better

look at Arky again maybe gps...

I'm happy with my PR on them. Basically if everything goes right for them, they are around 3rd in the conference. Just don't see a lot that separates them from Aggie, UT, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St. Could probs take any of the teams 85-90 and switch them up

I'm happy with my PR on them. Basically if everything goes right for them, they are around 3rd in the conference. Just don't see a lot that separates them from Aggie, UT, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St. Could probs take any of the teams 85-90 and switch them up

I just think also there is a much more open feel in the West....I don't see Bama and Aubbie as heads above everyone else

which I guess is what you said lol

If the starter is Kelly, he wasn't on campus while Wallace was in Oxford. I'm not arguing that Ole Miss will be better or worse without Wallace. I just wanted to point out that Wallace didn't start over Kelly. For what it's worth I think that Kelly is much more talented than Wallace, but he lacks the experience that I think is vital to success in this conference unless you are a transcendent talent.

I don't understand the relationship between Bo Wallace being "the best they had" and Ole Miss' potential or lack thereof this season when the guy replacing him was not on the roster. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest. I just don't get it and thought maybe you were unaware of that. I share your concerns about the running game.

The hatred for Bo Wallace continues to amaze me; ypa of 8+ (which is quite good, if not excellent), 60+ percent completions and a 22/14 ratio (which has to be the primary complaint). The real culprit of the Ole Miss offense has been the run game which has been set up by the passing game the last 2 years. They had Auburn beat save Treadwell's fluke injury which clearly carried over to the Arkansas game two weeks later. This is an elite team, with Treadwell back and Engram at TE. The defense is flat out rude, esp in the front 7. @ 'Bama and Auburn is no picnic and even the Florida game in Gainesville won't be easy but this team look pretty stacked to me...like me some Ole Miss this year as long as Kelly (or whomever) works out but with a better run game, I don't think they'll rely on the QB as much this year.

The complaint I often heard with Wallace - and frequently found it justified - were the total head scratching plays at the worst possible time. As one of my capping buddies said "he had the crazy gene."

I agree with that sentiment as well, but that has more to do with team performance than actual handicapping imo; Ole Miss went 14-11 ATS the L2Y, hardly breaking the bank but not a crime either. Wallace did have the 'crazy gene' and it can be argued he didn't handle pressure situations well, but from a handicapping performance standpoint, he was a pretty good quarterback.

18/31, 251 yds, 3/0 ratio, 8+ ypa vs Bama
14/33, 176 yds, 1/1 ratio, 5.3 ypa vs LSU

I get it...not consistent always, but he was hardly their weak link in my opinion.

Well with few exceptions one running back is as about good as another, so if the running game is the thing holding them back then really you're blaming the OL. Right? Will they be any better this year?

Thanks BAR.

Gar...right...they return everyone including a couple projected all-sec performers...so yeah, I expect whomever is toting the rock to have some success this year.

I don't understand the relationship between Bo Wallace being "the best they had" and Ole Miss' potential or lack thereof this season when the guy replacing him was not on the roster. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest. I just don't get it and thought maybe you were unaware of that. I share your concerns about the running game.

It has to do with coaching.

i have never seen a multi year starting sr qb play worse in a bowl game than wallace vs tcu. guy was flat out terrified. Not terrible, terrified. The throw he made against LSU in the waning seconds was one of the worst plays I've ever seen a guy make.

I just don't trust their overall scheme/coaching to fix their run game issues, which puts big games on the QB's shoulders. What we've seen the last three years at the QB position does not inspire a lot of confidence in a first year starter to me. Three years in and we have a senior QB afraid to even throw the ball in his final game. Freeze has clearly done a great job upgrading talent (I assume they're cheating like crazy, but good for them either way) but he's allowed some colossally stupid short yardage play calls to happen under his watch and at some point and you have to blame him and his staff for the aforementioned crazy gene from their QB. I just can't trust Freeze over Saban, Gus, and even Lester and Richt. ymmv.

Went through it again, read a lot of other's opinions here and elsewhere, and changed my numbers a bit. Don't think I will change these until we see some actual football being played, barring injuries and suspensions. Here's my PR version 2.0:

Alabama 100
UGA 97.5
LSU 95
AU 93.5
Ole Miss 92
aTm 89.5
Arkansas 89.5
UT 89
Missouri 87
Miss St 86
UF 85
SC 85
UK 82
Vandy 68

Looking at odds for conf champ, the two i'm looking at taking are UGA +450 and LSU +900. UGA obviously as I expect them to be the East rep in Atlanta, and can't see them lined as a dog bigger than that. LSU at 9-1 seems a bit too much for a team that will be firmly in the mix well into November

Looking at odds for conf champ, the two i'm looking at taking are UGA +450 and LSU +900. UGA obviously as I expect them to be the East rep in Atlanta, and can't see them lined as a dog bigger than that. LSU at 9-1 seems a bit too much for a team that will be firmly in the mix well into November

I have some friends in LV hitting this as I type..

i have never seen a multi year starting sr qb play worse in a bowl game than wallace vs tcu. guy was flat out terrified. Not terrible, terrified. The throw he made against LSU in the waning seconds was one of the worst plays I've ever seen a guy make.

I just don't trust their overall scheme/coaching to fix their run game issues, which puts big games on the QB's shoulders. What we've seen the last three years at the QB position does not inspire a lot of confidence in a first year starter to me. Three years in and we have a senior QB afraid to even throw the ball in his final game. Freeze has clearly done a great job upgrading talent (I assume they're cheating like crazy, but good for them either way) but he's allowed some colossally stupid short yardage play calls to happen under his watch and at some point and you have to blame him and his staff for the aforementioned crazy gene from their QB. I just can't trust Freeze over Saban, Gus, and even Lester and Richt. ymmv.

So mediocre QB play from a mediocre QB is an indictment of Freeze? Got it.

Let what go on? Winning 24 games over his career? Setting school records in completion percentage, total offense, pass efficiency, and 300 yard passing games? Building on horses' numbers:

Wallace had the second highest QBR and passing efficiency rate of SEC quarterbacks prior to Laquon Treadwell's leg injury. Also, he was tied for third with the most passing touchdowns in this category and tied for second with the fewest interceptions.

After the Treadwell injury, an injury to his own ankle, and a Vince Sanders injury during the early portion of the Mississippi State game, Wallace saw his production plummet when targeting wide receivers.

After the loss to Auburn, Wallace's fell to 27.9 (12th in SEC) on throws targeting wide receivers. He threw the second-most interceptions during this time (4) and the third fewest touchdowns (2).

In the TCU game, Wallace was without his top 2 WRs, lost his All American LT in the 2nd quarter, and was sacked 5 times in the first half. Not surprisingly, Wallace was a better quarterback with a healthy ankle and a healthy Treadwell and Sanders on the field with him.

Wallace engineered 24 wins for a program that to date has only produced two NFL Draft selections (Donte Moncrief and Senquez Golson) and piloted the Rebels to their highest ranking since 1964.

"Good Bo, Bad Bo" was a narrative that ran constantly during Wallace's three-year career, much to his irritation. However maybe neither is appropriate and maybe he lies somewhere in between. Maybe he was just slightly above average.

If you don't think Freeze maximized Bo Wallace's potential as a lightly recruited, oft injured, weak armed, poorly protected QB with no running game then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For the second day in row, quarterback Brandon Harris continued to take first string reps. I’ve heard from a lot of you who are convinced that the quarterback competition is not really open and that Coach Miles has his mind set on starting Anthony Jennings, but so far all signs point to that not being the case. The fact that Harris is taking first team reps doesn’t just mean he’s performing the drills first, it means he’s building chemistry with the first team backs and receivers while Jennings is working with the second stringers. Of course, that could change in a heartbeat and there are still 11 practice days between now and the end of camp, but for now all signs point to Harris having a sincere opportunity to earn the starting role. It’s also worth noting that Coach Miles reportedly spent all of the media’s allotted time carefully watching the quarterbacks.

Let what go on? Winning 24 games over his career? Setting school records in completion percentage, total offense, pass efficiency, and 300 yard passing games? Building on horses' numbers:

Wallace had the second highest QBR and passing efficiency rate of SEC quarterbacks prior to Laquon Treadwell's leg injury. Also, he was tied for third with the most passing touchdowns in this category and tied for second with the fewest interceptions.

After the Treadwell injury, an injury to his own ankle, and a Vince Sanders injury during the early portion of the Mississippi State game, Wallace saw his production plummet when targeting wide receivers.

After the loss to Auburn, Wallace's fell to 27.9 (12th in SEC) on throws targeting wide receivers. He threw the second-most interceptions during this time (4) and the third fewest touchdowns (2).

In the TCU game, Wallace was without his top 2 WRs, lost his All American LT in the 2nd quarter, and was sacked 5 times in the first half. Not surprisingly, Wallace was a better quarterback with a healthy ankle and a healthy Treadwell and Sanders on the field with him.

Wallace engineered 24 wins for a program that to date has only produced two NFL Draft selections (Donte Moncrief and Senquez Golson) and piloted the Rebels to their highest ranking since 1964.

"Good Bo, Bad Bo" was a narrative that ran constantly during Wallace's three-year career, much to his irritation. However maybe neither is appropriate and maybe he lies somewhere in between. Maybe he was just slightly above average.

If you don't think Freeze maximized Bo Wallace's potential as a lightly recruited, oft injured, weak armed, poorly protected QB with no running game then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

i'd say Freeze did get what he could out of a mediocre QB. Whose fault it it that Bo Wallace, a lightly recruited, oft injured, weak armed QB was for three years Ole Miss's best option? Whose fault is it that he was a poorly protected QB with no running game? Why should I think that those problems are now gone just because Bo Wallace graduated?

It was largely Houston Nutt's fault that Wallace was Ole Miss' best option. Freeze inherited 2 scholarship QBs. 1 of those became a WR, and the other was used in short yardage situations only. In 4 years, Freeze has signed 3 4 star QBs with multiple P5 offers. There isn't a lightly recruited, oft injured, weak armed QB on Ole Miss' roster this year.

As for the issues with the running game and protection, who said that they were fixed because Bo Wallace has departed? You seem to be making up arguments and then refuting them. Addressing your underlying concern about the OL and the running game, I'm not telling you that they will be better, but problems can be fixed because players develop and experience matters. Injured players heal. More talented players replace less talented players. Fortunately, the answer to your question will begin to take shape in less than 30 days.

GPS, how is Cam Robinson?

Mild knee sprain. Was a full participant today. Last night's internet rumors were something else. First report I saw was that he was out for season and I nearly had a heart attack

Back