SEC Offseason Thread

Let’s get some early Myles Brennan love of hate going....the offensive line is a pretty big question mark, maybe the biggest.

Agreed, they are highly thought of.

Reading that Saban has wanted to move toward a more scientific approach to S&C for a while now, thus the new Athletic Performance Science Center that is being built. Cochran was more of a run 110s until you puke and then deadlift/squat small cars type guy. Also hearing that while Cochran wanted an on the field job at Alabama, he wasn't doing the things Saban asked him to do to prove how bad he wanted it. Most good work relationships come to an end, and it was time for this one to end.

Someone mentioned that LSU stopped tackling in practice midway through season, that true? Looking back, it could explain why Alabama has had relative difficulties in November-December the last few seasons. Maybe the players are just worn out, especially so when half our team is injured.

Reading that Saban has wanted to move toward a more scientific approach to S&C for a while now, thus the new Athletic Performance Science Center that is being built. Cochran was more of a run 110s until you puke and then deadlift/squat small cars type guy. Also hearing that while Cochran wanted an on the field job at Alabama, he wasn't doing the things Saban asked him to do to prove how bad he wanted it. Most good work relationships come to an end, and it was time for this one to end.

Someone mentioned that LSU stopped tackling in practice midway through season, that true? Looking back, it could explain why Alabama has had relative difficulties in November-December the last few seasons. Maybe the players are just worn out, especially so when half our team is injured.
It’s well known Les wore players down in practice.

Ed has been wiser here

Well no shit

I’ve seen some folks have him back of the pack....I’m not so sure

I think there's too much change to feel confident about any prediction for LSU, especially on offense. Spring practice should help answer some questions for sure

Anthony Bradford true F for LSU out of Michigan....He is huge. Coach O in February already has him starting at Guard/.
Interesting to single him out already

I'm all over this bama team this year. They are going to be very, very motivated and very, very good. The defense will be much better.

Kirby still stuck in the year 1993. The oc change does nothing for me as far as modern football philosophy. Maybe they'll surprise. I doubt it.

Lsu took a major step back with their losses with OC and DC. Plus, it's extremely tough to repeat obviously. Brady was the main cog in that offense along with Burrow... I don't give a shit what anyone says. Arranda is Arranda, one of the best dcs in the country.

I personally like Trask for Florida, but think bama is head and shoulders above everyone in sec.

Hardest games are at home with exception of lsu. Great oline, great rbs, wrs, defense will be very good. So many injuries last year and with Moses back.. Expect a much better defense. Especially with DC in second year.

I personally don't mind Mac. With that oline and his weapons, he just needs to be accurate, and manage the game. Have often said the one team that can win without a modern offense or qb it is bama because of the way they recruit. Waddle is such an dynamic talent too, can flip the game so many ways. It's a crime seeing him at +9500 to win Heisman.. I put cash on him and Najee +4000. Along with most preseason wagers for bama to win MNC at between +550-+750. I think ohio state is the best team in the country by far. Clemson and bama neck and neck..Clemson qb may put them over the edge straight up at the end of the day but like bama at almost every other position more. .. But happy with position if bama gets in playoffs. Like the hungry, motivated teams.

I don't think it can be overstated how important it was for Alabama to keep most of the coaching staff together this year. Defense is still a concern with the secondary having to replace 4 of the 5 main contributors. DL and LB should be much much deeper because of how many had to play last season, but still can't ignore the injury history of some of our best players. Having Moses back will be huge, because Christian Harris is a budding star and having Moses tell him where to be will help him play faster. Having two TF LBs next to each other last year was blind leading the blind. Golding being in his 2nd year should be a plus, but it is concerning that we were still making the same mistakes in game 12 that we did in game 1. Not worried about the offense. I'm guessing we'll see far more power run game than we did with Tua, and it makes sense with the OL and RBs we have. Mac is more than capable as QB, knows the offense real well, is tough, and hopefully learned from the disaster in Auburn. He'll be pushed by Bryce Young, and if BY takes over, then I feel really good about our chances because that means he is a superstar. Schedule sets up pretty well with some good tests, there won't be any discussion about lack of schedule strength this year. Might have to play UGA twice if we win the West. For the first time in a decade, I'm concerned about Tennessee.

As far as motivation, I think there is a really bad taste in the team's mouth after the way the last 2 seasons ended. I think the new S&C staff will pay dividends too. Whether we can compete with Clemson and Ohio St for national championship will depend on young player development and injury luck. I just hope we get to see a full season play out

I don't think it can be overstated how important it was for Alabama to keep most of the coaching staff together this year. Defense is still a concern with the secondary having to replace 4 of the 5 main contributors. DL and LB should be much much deeper because of how many had to play last season, but still can't ignore the injury history of some of our best players. Having Moses back will be huge, because Christian Harris is a budding star and having Moses tell him where to be will help him play faster. Having two TF LBs next to each other last year was blind leading the blind. Golding being in his 2nd year should be a plus, but it is concerning that we were still making the same mistakes in game 12 that we did in game 1. Not worried about the offense. I'm guessing we'll see far more power run game than we did with Tua, and it makes sense with the OL and RBs we have. Mac is more than capable as QB, knows the offense real well, is tough, and hopefully learned from the disaster in Auburn. He'll be pushed by Bryce Young, and if BY takes over, then I feel really good about our chances because that means he is a superstar. Schedule sets up pretty well with some good tests, there won't be any discussion about lack of schedule strength this year. Might have to play UGA twice if we win the West. For the first time in a decade, I'm concerned about Tennessee.

As far as motivation, I think there is a really bad taste in the team's mouth after the way the last 2 seasons ended. I think the new S&C staff will pay dividends too. Whether we can compete with Clemson and Ohio St for national championship will depend on young player development and injury luck. I just hope we get to see a full season play out

Yep. Schedule makers gave the Vols a big, big break on that one this year. Spot bettors probably gonna be all over UT + the points in that one.

Also - think some people are giving Jimbo the Harbaugh treatment, but I think it’s them or Bama for the West this year. LSU gonna have something to say about that still, of course.

injuries is main concern...I think chemistry was an issue last year as well...it's modern football, offense wins, and bama's o is elite. Defense looked good in bowl game after first half.

injuries is main concern...I think chemistry was an issue last year as well...it's modern football, offense wins, and bama's o is elite. Defense looked good in bowl game after first half.

They did look good in that 2nd half, but Shea Patterson couldn't hit water from a boat that day. How much our defense had to do with it is unclear.

They did look good in that 2nd half, but Shea Patterson couldn't hit water from a boat that day. How much our defense had to do with it is unclear.

I fear that Saban’s takeaway from the last 2 years will be to go back to the old days and lean on the run game. It’ll go over well with the fan base and will win a lot of games in a weaker SEC this season especially with the Georgia game early before their new offense can get worked out, but taking this approach to prepare against Clemson and OSU won’t be enough imo. Not in this era when no matter what you do defensively you can’t keep the best teams below ~24-28 points. Btw I could be COMPLETELY wrong about their approach, with Waddle and Smith no reason why they can’t keep airing it out. My primary point is I can’t pick Bama over OSU or Clemson given QB situations.

I fear that Saban’s takeaway from the last 2 years will be to go back to the old days and lean on the run game. It’ll go over well with the fan base and will win a lot of games in a weaker SEC this season especially with the Georgia game early before their new offense can get worked out, but taking this approach to prepare against Clemson and OSU won’t be enough imo. Not in this era when no matter what you do defensively you can’t keep the best teams below ~24-28 points. Btw I could be COMPLETELY wrong about their approach, with Waddle and Smith no reason why they can’t keep airing it out. My primary point is I can’t pick Bama over OSU or Clemson given QB situations.

I don't worry about Saban trying to revert back to 2008-2014 Alabama style. He knows as well as anyone that the ability to stretch the defense through the air is what wins games. But with Tua, we lost almost all semblance of balance because he was so good at throwing. I think our offense this year is much more balanced even with the drop off at QB. But Najee and Trey Sanders, plus the newcomers, behind that OL, should be one of the best run offenses in the country. The WR group isn't as good as the last 3 years, but it's still really strong. The biggest thing missing the last two years was being able to run the ball when we needed to, and on the flip side, stopping the run. We do those two things this year, I think we are good as anyone.

Shea was hungover from his party week.

The adjustments at half were very good though. UM coulda had 24-30 in 1st half.

Oh @HUNT would have a heart attack if they went back to man ball .

I don't worry about Saban trying to revert back to 2008-2014 Alabama style. He knows as well as anyone that the ability to stretch the defense through the air is what wins games. But with Tua, we lost almost all semblance of balance because he was so good at throwing. I think our offense this year is much more balanced even with the drop off at QB. But Najee and Trey Sanders, plus the newcomers, behind that OL, should be one of the best run offenses in the country. The WR group isn't as good as the last 3 years, but it's still really strong. The biggest thing missing the last two years was being able to run the ball when we needed to, and on the flip side, stopping the run. We do those two things this year, I think we are good as anyone.
The run game is going to be tremendous.

Najee will be dealing this year.

And spot on about stopping the run.

Yup, this is what makes it difficult for bama. You have two generational talents at qb for bucks and Clemson, and like you said, the explosive offenses.

I do think bama will rely on a shotgun heavy play action offense like patriots with Brady. They have the personnel to do it. But the tempo will be down.

I personally just like the makeup of this team... But if they get in shootouts they won't win.

Yup, this is what makes it difficult for bama. You have two generational talents at qb for bucks and Clemson, and like you said, the explosive offenses.

I do think bama will rely on a shotgun heavy play action offense like patriots with Brady. They have the personnel to do it. But the tempo will be down.

I personally just like the makeup of this team... But if they get in shootouts they won't win.

it’s just a shrunken margin of error when you know you’re at a QB disadvantage. Same reason why I’m framing any Super Bowl futures as “can this team outscore Reid+Mahomes?” That question effectively renders almost all AFC futures close to worthless imo except for 1, maybe 2 non KC teams. I don’t question Bama’s talent level or ability to win regular season games, I just question their qb’s ability to outscore Lawrence or Fields. Even with a guy like Newman who some feel is QB3 this year, that gap can still be very meaningful head to head.

it’s just a shrunken margin of error when you know you’re at a QB disadvantage. Same reason why I’m framing any Super Bowl futures as “can this team outscore Reid+Mahomes?” That question effectively renders almost all AFC futures close to worthless imo except for 1, maybe 2 non KC teams. I don’t question Bama’s talent level or ability to win regular season games, I just question their qb’s ability to outscore Lawrence or Fields. Even with a guy like Newman who some feel is QB3 this year, that gap can still be very meaningful head to head.
Be wild if JT got his waiver too (re: Georgia)

Newman? All in all I'd rather have Buck Belue or even Greg Talley.

quite possible the Ags go under the season win total.
Unless Mond walks, then we have a chance.

What is their RSW total? I've seen multiple people say that they have a pretty favorable schedule and there's a better than average chance they are undefeated when they come to Tuscaloosa in November

What is their RSW total? I've seen multiple people say that they have a pretty favorable schedule and there's a better than average chance they are undefeated when they come to Tuscaloosa in November
At Scary and at Barn the only two games that are challenging till the finale of Bama/LSU

He's gone Chubba

Alabama schedules home and home with Oho St. Our non-con in 2028 includes @ Notre Dame and home to the Buckeyes

Alabama schedules home and home with Oho St. Our non-con in 2028 includes @ Notre Dame and home to the Buckeyes

Obviously with the scheduling all p5 is doing the last year or so they know the system is changing...hence one big game a year OOC.

But, why would Bama do that to themselves in '28?

Obviously with the scheduling all p5 is doing the last year or so they know the system is changing...hence one big game a year OOC.

My guess is we expect an expanded playoff field by then. I am skeptical that Saban is our coach in 2028, so wonder how many of the games we've scheduled moving forward will still happen. Hope they do, great for the fans and the sport to have more games like this

My guess is we expect an expanded playoff field by then. I am skeptical that Saban is our coach in 2028, so wonder how many of the games we've scheduled moving forward will still happen. Hope they do, great for the fans and the sport to have more games like this
Definitely awesome for sport and hence in my reply the expansion of playoff is why we are seeing these great lookahead matchups.

Because they never do

Outside of that one year a decade ago, has LSU regularly scheduled 2 P5 teams in the same season? LSU and Alabama have scheduled pretty similarly in recent history, with maybe LSU playing more true road games, I don't know I didn't check

Outside of that one year a decade ago, has LSU regularly scheduled 2 P5 teams in the same season? LSU and Alabama have scheduled pretty similarly in recent history, with maybe LSU playing more true road games, I don't know I didn't check

I’m having a bit of fun but I would definitely say w/o looking. Yes. LSU does

Back