SEC Fall Camp/Week 1 Discussion Thread

I'm going to revisit my PR before the season starts. The more I read about SC, the more I think I lean toward you and S&P+. I had forgotten how they won some big games despite huge disparities in yards, etc. Even with that, I think they still might be the clear #2 team in the East. And trust me, I still remember that AU beat UGA and Alabama last year. They won't let us forget it. AU is such a bipolar team and program, it's hard to know what you're going to get year to year or game to game. They are a momentum team all the way through, both within a game and a season. Both good and bad. I think they are the clear #3 in the SEC, and plenty capable of beating anyone, but their schedule will keep them from winning the conference.

I think one of the things you gotta remember about SC is the addition of Dan Werner. He's been a QB whisper basically everywhere he goes, and everything I have seen about SC is that they are going to go much, much quicker. I think they actually have the personnel to do it as well. I actually think we'll see them have more issues on the defensive side of the ball this year, especially if the D has to be on the field more witht he O going much quicker.

I know -- I'm not really going out on a limb with these rankings. I really only have a couple of comments -- as someone whose team has been playing Alabama, Auburn, and USC each year since Muschamp took over, I just see too much of a gap between USC and the top tier (in our games with these opponents) to put them 4th (as you have done) or 6th (as BC has). Y'all could be right, but I put the Cocks lower. And I seem to be one of the few people who recalls that Auburn actually beat Alabama and Georgia last year, although that's not enough for me to move them up from third.

i'm rarely impressed when watching them. even that bowl game was just ridiculously fluky. I have em 8th. I just couldn't put them ahead of teams like Fla or LSU who have loads more talent. For the same reason, I can't put a team like Northwestern ahead of Nebraska. The talent level discrepancy is just too wide.

So ville, not only loses Lamar but All conference LT and top 2 running backs, lost FB Little for year a few days ago, Is top WR, Jaylen Smith really going to be back for Bama after appendectomy or maybe wait for Indiana State? Also Van Gorder is DC for them now, he is not good.

On top of this, everybody hates Petrino, he is a piece of garbage. SEC v. ACC He must have left terrible taste in SEC mouth with Arky freak show, I so hope they get pounded. Roll Tide

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Kentucky? It seems like they should be able to control the game up front but that’s a big number.

Nick Fitzgerald suspended for opener from violation of team rules during the summer. Don't think it matters in this game, but not good for your starting QB to be getting suspensions

Not good but a good way to get the attention of the team as far as no one being untouchable. HC hasn't coached a game yet so laying down the law early and setting the tone as the leader of the team is huge. Probably eliminates him from heisman contention (was plus 6000) without those easy stat pad yards.

Plus the backup has already started and won a game last year - the bowl game against Louisville

I’m biased, but would be absolutely shocked if TN doesn’t beat both Vandy and Kentucky this year. Much better talent, but actually have a coach now.

Exactly. I think people forget that Botch was essentially a lameduck after the UF debacle. The team quit and in spite of that they lost three games in the final minute. It's not like UT lost any key players either and getting Jennings back should really help the receiving corps. There is a lack of depth but plenty of decent talent on the first string. The talent they have will be much better utilized under the new staff.

5 wins top.
ETSU, UTEP, Char, UK, Vandy.
And Honestly those last 2 could go either way.
Mizzu at home is possible.
Injuries are gonna play a big part this season getting adjusted to a whole new way of playing football. And with those last 3 teams they are either gonna be paper thin or getting players back form injury.

The end of Sept and all of October are going to be BRUTAL. Show me ANY team with a tougher 5 gm stretch in ALL of college ball tougher than what the Vols have to play.
They might be able to score 5 TDs in 5 gms.

No offense but bullshit at 5 games tops. Every East game with the exception of UGA is winnable. They'll go 6-6 or 7-5. Pruitt and his staff are a significant upgrade over Butch in every facet.

Can someone explain why people like Florida this year. Unless the Emory Jones kid is a stud right away, I'm not seeing a good football team here. McElwain was actually a good gameday coach, but a horrid recruiter. Therefore I don't really see Mullen improving them this season. I don't see much talent on this UF squad at all but as usual they have a manageable schedule which might make them look better than they are.

Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong here, but I think Under 8 wins is a gift.

Can someone explain why people like Florida this year. Unless the Emory Jones kid is a stud right away, I'm not seeing a good football team here. McElwain was actually a good gameday coach, but a horrid recruiter. Therefore I don't really see Mullen improving them this season. I don't see much talent on this UF squad at all but as usual they have a manageable schedule which might make them look better than they are.

Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong here, but I think Under 8 wins is a gift.

Agreed. I don't think they will be an awful team, but certainly not as good as some are hyping them up to be. I lost it when someone on ESPN predicted Florida for the playoffs this year.

Agreed. I don't think they will be an awful team, but certainly not as good as some are hyping them up to be. I lost it when someone on ESPN predicted Florida for the playoffs this year.

Yeah it's absolutely nuts. I see absolutely nothing in their personnel that suggests a significantly improved team other than the possibility of Jones being a star. Are people seriously counting on Feleipe Franks?LOL. Everybody is giving them a win in Knoxville when they were badly beaten everywhere an but the scoreboard and absolutely given the game by Butch last year.

I really like Kentucky going into the Swamp this year and finally ending that streak.

Yeah it's absolutely nuts. I see absolutely nothing in their personnel that suggests a significantly improved team other than the possibility of Jones being a star. Are people seriously counting on Feleipe Franks?LOL. Everybody is giving them a win in Knoxville when they were badly beaten everywhere an but the scoreboard and absolutely given the game by Butch last year.

I really like Kentucky going into the Swamp this year and finally ending that streak.

Hope so. I’m being dragged to the Kentucky bar with a client to watch that game that night.

With regard to Florida, I think the optimism is at the coach/system. The defense is there. He has gotten more out of lesser talent, so if he can get them to buy in, they could be decent. They don't need much from the offense to be pretty good. Playoff talk may be a stretch but I do think they are a program on the uptick in the coming years.

Exactly. I think people forget that Botch was essentially a lameduck after the UF debacle. The team quit and in spite of that they lost three games in the final minute. It's not like UT lost any key players either and getting Jennings back should really help the receiving corps. There is a lack of depth but plenty of decent talent on the first string. The talent they have will be much better utilized under the new staff.

No offense but bullshit at 5 games tops. Every East game with the exception of UGA is winnable. They'll go 6-6 or 7-5. Pruitt and his staff are a significant upgrade over Butch in every facet.
I hope you are right but I just done see it.
We are not deep and I think that will show the first game. Vols 1H may be in play but I think WDV wears them down.
This is why I give them 5 tops. No depth (hopefully we get deeper thru coaching and experience)
I would bet on Pruitt being able to coach em up but the talent in my eyes just isn't there past the 1st 22.
We are gonna see some serious drop off in size and speed when injuries hit.
Now.... can we stay healthy during the toughest stretch of games in the country?
Also another question can he coach em up enough to compete w/ the SEC schedule..

The thing I think helps is Pruitts high school coaching experience. It's gonna help. I feel that he is gonna make this team fundementaly better throughout the year.

One thing that makes me wonder is he has had big time talent and depth ever where he has been. Jorga, FSU, Bama.
The depth just isn't there yet.

IMO he is gonna struggle this year but it will absolutely work out for us in the end. He is gonna bring that talent back to the Hill and get the depth we lack and coach em up.

I am very excited for the season though. Because honestly I have NO IDEA what to expect. What O is he gonna run, what D is he gonna play?
I do know he will do the best w/ what he's got in the barn.

Last edited:
I hope you are right but I just done see it.
We are not deep and I think that will show the first game. Vols 1H may be in play but I think WDV wears them down.
This is why I give them 5 tops. No depth (hopefully we get deeper thru coaching and experience)
I would bet on Pruitt being able to coach em up but the talent in my eyes just isn't there past the 1st 22.
We are gonna see some serious drop off in size and speed when injuries hit.
Now.... can we stay healthy during the toughest stretch of games in the country?
Also another question can he coach em up enough to compete w/ the SEC schedule..

The thing I think helps is Pruitts high school coaching experience. It's gonna help. I feel that he is gonna make this team fundementaly better throughout the year.

One thing that makes me wonder is he has had big time talent and depth ever where he has been. Jorga, FSU, Bama.
The depth just isn't there yet.

IMO he is gonna struggle this year but it will absolutely work out for us in the end. He is gonna bring that talent back to the Hill and get the depth we lack and coach em up.

I am very excited for the season though. Because honestly I have NO IDEA what to expect. What O is he gonna run, what D is he gonna play?
I do know he will do the best w/ what he's got in the barn.

I'll be at the game, so I have to have a bet on it, naturally. However, I don't think I can take TN +10 anymore, as I'm sure just worried about a potentially cover late. I think I am going to ride with over, as I think both teams are gonna score.

I'll be at the game, so I have to have a bet on it, naturally. However, I don't think I can take TN +10 anymore, as I'm sure just worried about a potentially cover late. I think I am going to ride with over, as I think both teams are gonna score.
Still debating on whether to go or not. We got a group staying at a bnb great deal on it all actually.

Still debating on whether to go or not. We got a group staying at a bnb great deal on it all actually.

It'll be a great time regardless of the outcome of the game. Just glad for football to be back. A couple of us are making a long vacation out of it as we are flying into Atlanta tomorrow night and going to Cubs/Braves Thursday night before Charlotte Friday morning. The VFL Meet and Greet Friday night should be good as well. Go Vols!

Be sure WVU will score, alot

I like that Bama plays Arky State next, hopefully they go HAM game 1 and then we can all bet that Saban works on things other than scoring in game 2.

I see no reason Bama would let up for a second in hi profile game 1.

I've got a weird feeling about the Ole Miss/Tech total. Kingsbury seemed to suggest that he was going to lean on the run more this year, and Tech's D might actually be solid. On the other side, Ole Miss' D will probably be awful again. What's the best way to protect a bad D? Luke has some Cutcliffe in him, and I think he's inclined to play ball control. The problem is that he's got an air raid OC with Freeze's offensive personnel. I'm not calling for a 13-10 final, but I wouldn't be eager to jump on something crazy high.

Floating under 70 seems to be telling.
TIme has passed since the landshark D.

Not something I'd put too much stock in, but for those of you that bet on starting QB props, word is increasingly that Hurts will start against Louisville, but that Tua will play more snaps. Do with that what you will

Ole Miss back up RB, Eric Swinney, will miss the first 3 games with mono. The starting RB should be decent, but his back ups are now a gray shirt freshman and a true freshman.

From Jason Kirk's newsletter. I don't really buy into bulletin board fodder but Saban seems to indulge in using this type stuff.

Head coach Bobby Petrino and his boss said this:
'If we can get where we have every single guy on our team, every single coach on our team, to believe like I believe — because I believe we’re gonna go beat ’em — so I need everybody else to believe that. And we will go beat ’em.'
That ended the luncheon. Athletic director Vince Tyra also spoke, mentioning his experience attending last season’s national championship, featuring 'Alabama, who we’re going to play and beat.'

Cardinals receiver Dez Fitzpatrick said this:
Every receiver in our receiver corps can honestly beat every one of their DBs one-on-one in coverage. It ties into the other stuff -- if the blocks are right, if the quarterback's drop is right, we ran eight-yard routes instead of a 10-yard route -- that's the kind of stuff I feel like we need to sharpen up.
But I feel like straight talent-wise, I feel like we have the upper edge against their secondary, 1,000 percent.

And offensive linemen Lukayus McNeil and Mekhi Becton said this:
They got a good D front, but we got a great O line. If we can dominate up front, then we're not worried about the defensive front at all.
I definitely think we are capable of starting off fast and dominating their D line.
I think we're gonna stack up real well. We're gonna shock a lot of people. We're ready to play with a chip on our shoulder and show everybody what we got.
We can show you better than we can tell you.

Best thread on ctg and I hate the fucking sec

Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute more in the coming weeks after I’ve had a chance to watch some games. Kids and work have ruined my preparation. Will hopefully put some Alabama thoughts down in a bit, just fired up the smoker, bout to crack a cold snack

Some Alabama thoughts:

This year’s offense has the potential to be the best of my lifetime, assuming Tua is the guy at QB. I do think Hurts can be successful, especially with OC going from Daboll to Locksley. But Tua can distribute the ball better to what I think is our best collection of WRs under Saban. There’s no Julio or Amari, maybe not even a Ridley, but there’s virtually no drop off from our top 3. Throw in freshman Jaylen Waddle, who has shown that he may be a special player, and we have a group that can make teams pay for doubling. Likewise, the OL is likely the best it’s been since 2012. RB is well taken care of with D Harris and Najee Harris. A healthy Josh Jacobs will also add some wrinkles as a pass catcher out of the backfield. This offense is good enough to dominate most of the defenses on our schedule, but if Jalen continues to be indecisive, not anticipatory, quick to tuck and run, and generally inaccurate, the better defenses will continue to dare him to throw, and the offense will likely look like it did against LSU, Miss St, AU, Clemson, and 1h against UGA last year. Tua really is the key here, and I do believe he will be the main guy no matter who takes the first snap tonight

Odd to say it, but defense is biggest question mark. Injuries and draft/graduation has taken its toll on defense more than anywhere else. Losing Terrell Lewis was a huge blow. There are rumors that his recovery is going very well and that he could be ready by potential playoff run, maybe sooner. But he was a true game changer as a pass rusher. Chris Allen was also a big loss, though he’s mostly just potentially awesome at this point. DL will be fine, if not a little less depth than the last few years. LB is also pretty thin, though last year’s ridiculous injury situation did give guys plenty of experience. The secondary is the biggest question mark by far. This will be the vulnerable spot, at least in the first half of the season. The players are talented no doubt, but there’s very little meaningful experience returning, and Saban’s schemes are notoriously complicated. I think teams like Ole Miss and Mizzou will have some success throwing the ball. I’d expect by the end of the season for them to playing at a fairly high level

Special teams, lose a great punter and the PK. Don’t know much about either of the replacements, though I expect they are capable. Remains to be seen if we’ve coached the consistency out of the PK like we usually do. Coverage units should all be filled with blue chip recruits that haven’t cracked the lineup elsewhere yet. Returns haven’t been anything special in a few years, though I’m excited to see Waddle returning punts once he gets his chance

Both coordinators are new, so I’d expect there to be somewhat of a learning curve, especially on defense where Tosh has never called a game before.

As for tonight’s game, I’m having a hard time figuring it out. I think Alabama wins for sure, but until I know the QB situation, I don’t know what to predict. I think we’ll see a lot from the RBs. I expect Damien Harris to be our offensive MVP regardless of QB. Any props on him over on yards would be a solid bet IMO. If Tua plays most of the meaningful snaps, I think we score 45+. We could still get there with Jalen, but I wouldn’t feel as confident. Petrine has given us fits in the past, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he attacks the secondary with some success. How many of those end up in points will be the story for them. Ultimately, I feel like this game is something like 48-17

Thanks for the thoughts.

Saban has me off any TT thoughts full game, that is for sure.

Tua is obv better

whats the problrm?

Your guess is as good as mine. Doesn’t sound like Saban to play Jalen out of some kind of loyalty. The only thing I can think of is that Jalen doesn’t throw INTs because he won’t throw it to a WR if there’s a defender within 5 yards. I’ve heard that Hurts has looked much better throwing in practice, but I can’t imagine he is anywhere near Tua in that regard. I do think there’s a place for him as a running QB that can somewhat throw, but hopefully only 8-10 snaps a game.

We need to not piss Tua off. Not only to keep him around, but his younger brother is also awesome

One of the best threads on the forum, good read and discussion. If you are hesitant to put SCar higher the. You are probably correct. Everything would indicate upward trend but I need to see it first, especially in some big games. Very astute point about their ATS record as dog and fav. One of the best performing dogs last year but always an awful favorite. I’m curious to see if the new OC keeps the pace and they become a better favorite or if they keep down the trend of eeking by as Big favs.

he is such an asshole

he has gotten worse at Bama, but Pawl said it best

You aint GOD motherfuker

you may be the best ever, likely are

but YOU AINT GOD

Back