SEC Championship Game and news and notes

Spot on gps. Hurts was put into too many situations that showed his weakness. He had tunnel vision for Ridley as well.

Look at the stats. Ridley has 55 catches. A tailback, Scarborough, is second with 14 catches.

Spot on gps. Hurts was put into too many situations that showed his weakness. He had tunnel vision for Ridley as well. That was definitely not a Bama team I am used to seeing over the past 5 years. It was a mixture of Aub D & the play calling.
I am gonna try to rewatch it today and get more into breakdown. May comment more later but after watching it live you pretty much nailed it with your insight above. You remind me of a friend of mine that is an FSU fan that knows his team up, down, over and back again and can pretty much spot on tell me what went wrong in a game. You are awesome man.

Appreciate the kind words. I listen to a lot of folks who know way more than I do about the X's and O's, I'm starting to learn it myself I guess. I'm starting to think that our coaches are making the game more difficult than it needs to be. Like we are trying to scheme teams to death and get ourselves into the right matchup each play. We have better players than most teams, let's just try to run it right at them and see if they can stop it for 4 quarters. Maybe a team like AU can. But maybe we should at least find out

I've read and talked with more knowledgeable folks, and unfortunately, it seems like a lot of this loss is on Hurts' shoulders. Saw a great breakdown on twitter that showed that 5 plays basically turned the game from an even matchup, maybe even Alabama being the better team, to AU having a relatively stress-free 4th quarter. I'll try to find it and link it here. But essentially, both the OL and DL for Alabama played pretty well. Hurts just does not step into the pocket with his eyes upfield. He either rolls laterally or tucks it and runs. And once he's on the move, he only has eyes for #3. We had WR running open all game, he just didn't see them. If we aren't going to change our offense, I don't think Hurts will ever be the guy to win a championship. Which is weird to say with his record. But we saw it against Clemson last year, and we saw it a few times this year, and we couldn't overcome it against a team as good as AU.

If anyone's interested, here's the link to that breakdown I was talking about:

https://storify.com/Ben_Litvin/the-2017-iron-bowl

That is cool, thanks.

Makes me think back to the key plays in the first UGA-UA game. Auburn was moving it decent, but only getting FGs. Georgia had that one good opening drive. Fromm was sacked on 3rd down to end 2 of their other drives after that. But the roughing the punter penalty and 3 plays later Auburn had a 42y TD pass. Then trailing 7-16, Auburn goes 4-and-out right after halftime and Georgia fumbled that punt at their own 23 and 4 plays later Auburn had a TD.

did bama even run the shotgun handoffs around end after their td drive? they were killing piss st with that same play in the 2h the week before.

did bama even run the shotgun handoffs around end after their td drive? they were killing piss st with that same play in the 2h the week before.

Doesn't seem like it. Obviously AU made some alignment changes after that first drive of the 2H, and I guess that got us trying to change plays to match their scheme, rather than just see if we could win the one on one battles.

Bama backers should still feel pretty good. Pretty confident in saying that a week from today we will be talking about them in the FF. It's all up to Ohio State (even then assuming TCU doesn't take out OU). I think you just want Ohio State to get a 27-24 like win. Contrast with that hard-to-forget 59-0 OSU beatdown of Wisconsin the '14 title game. The (seismic) outcome of that changed the entire FF landscape.

Reports that Miss St will hire Penn St OC Joe Moorhead

Tennessee on the other hand...

@JimmyHyams: Source: Tennessee is closing in a deal with Purdue coach Jeff Brohm. UT interviewed Chad Morris of SMU last night but apparently UT favors Brohm.
Brohm's buyout at Purdue would be $5 million if he left before Dec. 5, $4 million he left later. He had a $900,000 buyout when he left Western Kentucky with $150K to be forgiven if he remained until Dec. 31. It appears he would owe Purdue about $750K if he took UT job.

FYI...
I have heard Kevin Steele is still in the picture
Willie Taggert has been mentioned.
Tee Martin has not even been contacted about the opening. Which is sad. But I understand he has no HC experience....... yet.

Last edited:
Oregon is a stepping stone program for Taggart. He's afraid that his AD is on the way out, and he is reportedly not happy in Oregon for a lot reasons. Read in to that what you will, but I wouldn't bet on him being in Oregon for much longer. Also a reminder: his agent is Jimmy Sexton.

That's great ProV haha, I've heard the net buyout would be around $750k, so much accounting going on

Oregon is a stepping stone program for Taggart. He's afraid that his AD is on the way out, and he is reportedly not happy in Oregon for a lot reasons. Read in to that what you will, but I wouldn't bet on him being in Oregon for much longer. Also a reminder: his agent is Jimmy Sexton.
It was an interesting hire, out the box but I'd have assumed Oregon would have done their due diligence stepping out that far. If not, it will be a year or two of forget about it but they will no doubt stay West Coast on the next one. All the resources and facilities, they won't take kindly to being considered a stepping stone. And in fairness, most with a pulse would consider it a destination job at this point.

Now I am hearing NC St coach Dave Doersn is interviewing right now. What a complete mess.
This AD Currie should be fired.

Rumor is Hyams leaked the story to soon and Brohm got pissed and said no.
It gave him no time to talk to his players. Discuss buyout, etc.

What a complete shit storm

This is a war between 2-3 top boosters at UT that are butting heads. 1 wants Vols family in and 1 wants to go outside that.
1 wanted and wants Fulmer as AD and may be leaking all this info to make Currie look incompetent and have him fired.

What fun. Drama. Big Boys w/ Big money and are swinging their dicks around to see whose is bigger

Man you're too nice a guy to have to deal with this. Klatt destroyed the fan base on Cowherd today.

Rocky Top Horror Show.
This may be worse than the Death Penalty

Brohm was offered. He said yes. Chancellor said No to the buyout. AD Currie went back w/ a lower offer and Brohm said no.

Schiano is about to file a lawsuit against Tennessee.
My best bet is AD Currie is going to be fired by the before Christmas.

That's as close to the facts as Ive gotten.

Last edited:
Amateur night at Tennessee. I've never seen a more incompetent coaching search.

I can't believe any coach with professional advisers will leave a good job and put himself in that mess at Tennessee. Anyone who goes, A, has no idea who is running the show, B has no idea if the AD will even survive the Schiano debacle, C, is putting himself into a situation where the suits listen to fans on social media, and D, where boosters with inflated egos run the show.

And most comical at all, a chancellor worrying about a buyout when they are going to have to pay Schiano a sum that makes the buyout look like peanuts.

If they want to solve the problem hire Mike Leach. Problem is, while Leach could immediately build a contender he is almost surely too smart to put himself into that mess.

I won't be surprised at all if Taggert leaves Oregon. Oregon's main attraction is the Nike connection. That's a wonderful connection, but Oregon still has the same drawback it has always had. The same one Nebraska has. Not enough home-grown FBS prospects, so they have to fly them in from distant recruiting hotbeds where there are local schools that get first choice. It's wasn't an accident that Kelly had recruiting violations.

As for the SEC title game, I keep coming back to Auburn. I respect Georgia and see their strengths, including a lot of great athletes, a very good defense, and I know it is a rematch, but it still comes down to the same problem Georgia had in the first game--they are a running team that is unlikely to be able to run against one of the best run-stopping defenses in football, and their QB is not good enough to force Auburn to back off.

On the Auburn side, the Auburn QB is on fire, getting better every game, Malzahn is a smarter, better, more creative coach than Smart, and they have the best kicker in football. They cross midfield and they are within the kicker's range.

I see only two ways Georgia wins--Auburn's tank is empty, a possibility after playing and beating two # 1 teams in three weeks, and Johnson can't play and Pettway is still out (likely, since he seem to always be sidelined). That might happen, but today everyone is reporting Johnson is a go, and Auburn appeared to have plenty left in the tank at the end of the Iron Bowl.

Spot on Tahoe w/ the Vols.
I honestly think coaches are also waiting on Auburn & FSU to make their decisions. No coach wants to jump the gun and take a job, if they feel they actually have a shot at something better.
Example. I've been told Kevin Steele is interested in Vols, however if Gus leaves Auburn for Arky. Steele would prob be Auburn's #1 choice. (That would be my guess but a lot of you know way more than I)
Would he want to interview for FSU if Jimbo left for aTm?
I believe Grove mentioned Taggert was holding out for FSU, but would FSU want him or Pruitt?
1 move needs to be made before all the dominoes begin to fall and Auburn losing on Saturday would almost certainly flick the first one. Hell, it may not matter if Gus wins Sat. He may want out anyways, who knows.

Tahoe- to your other thought on Aub run D....
Do you think Jorga could possibly control the ball and keep Aub D on the field and wear down that Aub D that may still have some gas left in the tank.... but not enough for the entire game? That would also keep Aub O and that "Hot as a pistol" QB sitting on the sideline?
Or are you just sold on their run D?

ProV, it's certainly a possibility that Auburn runs out of gas. No team in history has ever beaten two #1 teams in a 3-week span. And one of them was the traditional rival. If there was ever a spot where a letdown could be expected this is it.

If Ga could get some long drives and hold the ball Auburn could wear down, but I don't see how they can do it unless the Ga QB can complete some passes to back them off.

Auburn looked to me like they had plenty left at the end of the Bama game though and if that's the case I don't see Georgia being able to run against them. LSU came back against them, but that was mainly by throwing the ball as I recall. I think it was more that Auburn let down after getting a big lead and dominating the early going than anything LSU did.

I'm leaning toward over 48 in the SEC CG. I think it could be similar to what's being discussed in the B1G thread, and that the 2 most likely scenarios are either AU winning comfortably, scoring 40+, or it's a back and forth game where both teams have success and the playbooks open up. I think it's fair to note that AU is a far different team away from home. They have one of the most underrated HFA in the country. Kind of like the Alabama game, the first game between these two was pretty evenly matched until a few plays went AU's way, and then the floodgates opened. Crazy that AU forced two pretty good teams to implode like they did, can they do it again? I'm not so sure. I lean giving the points, but I can't shake the feeling that UGA pulls it off. In fact, I kind of think there is going to be several surprises this weekend.

Saw some retweets that Tennessee fans are going to protest if they hire Doeren. This is a disaster

Now I am hearing NC St coach Dave Doersn is interviewing right now. What a complete mess.
This AD Currie should be fired.

Rumor is Hyams leaked the story to soon and Brohm got pissed and said no.
It gave him no time to talk to his players. Discuss buyout, etc.

What a complete shit storm

This is a war between 2-3 top boosters at UT that are butting heads. 1 wants Vols family in and 1 wants to go outside that.
1 wanted and wants Fulmer as AD and may be leaking all this info to make Currie look incompetent and have him fired.

What fun. Drama. Big Boys w/ Big money and are swinging their dicks around to see whose is bigger

Such a smoooooooooth operator, slick mofo, not

Saw some retweets that Tennessee fans are going to protest if they hire Doeren. This is a disaster

As Booger said, who does Tenn think they are? Who really would want to go there unless you were born in state. The people in the state have great pride, but seriouslyvtryvto keep itvreal, hardly a special place. Snowflakes ftw.

Why? They could do a lot worse.
I've heard henis a dick. He ran off Matt Canada by not letting him "run his system"
Just what I've been told, other than that. No clue about the guy. But if they try to hire him, the mob will be out for blood again.

A lot of VFL want Tee Martin.

IMG_4515.PNG Not sure I trust Stallworth as a source but is true.......
I seriously doubt Steele would make a lateral move like that.

News on Kerryon?

Hasn't practiced, won't practice, but will start if medically cleared. Obviously hard to know how effective he'll be and if he can last. That's why I'm not touching this game unless it's a live play. I can't picture the offense being the same without him.

I agree with you Captain. Malzahn's offense HAS to have a effective RB to be effective.

Pettway is out for sure, the injury report is listing another RB (one I've never heard of) also out, and Johnson as probable.

I'm not betting this game until the broadcast comes on and the sideline reporter gives an injury update.

Rocky Top Horror Show.
This may be worse than the Death Penalty

Brohm was offered. He said yes. Chancellor said No to the buyout. AD Currie went back w/ a lower offer and Brohm said no.

Schiano is about to file a lawsuit against Tennessee.
My best bet is AD Currie is going to be fired by the before Christmas.

That's as close to the facts as Ive gotten.

I hadnt heard Brohm buyout. Wow. About 5 people destroying thst fine university. Same thing for this country, maybe 700 powerful fuckheads that do it all. The fall of the roman empire, so much printed money floating around. The fact that most of these loser coached have buyouts is retarded. But nobody will talk about POS agent Jimmy Sexton. Seriously that mofo gets 10% of everybodys deal, its absurd. People are stsrting to not care about any of it anymore.

Its just football, a gigantic distraction, most people hope to make 15 bucks an,hour and have 5g in bank account. The house of cards is about to crumble. What a farce.

As many Finebaum callers noted yesterday, protests are fake everywhere. Literally, in America now, when you want to protest, you make one phone call and shazam protest. Its not organic, its all bs, the entire country is being gaslit.

Thank god for regular southern folks, not Currie, not Sexton they are rentiers,but the real salt of the earth types that love the vols unconditionally.

Yall need to run those 5 fuckheads the hell out of Knoxville.

I've heard he is a dick. He ran off Matt Canada by not letting him "run his system"
Just what I've been told, other than that. No clue about the guy. But if they try to hire him, the mob will be out for blood again.

A lot of VFL want Tee Martin.

The first sentence is probably true. Narduzzi is the only coach who ever really let Canada do his thing. He was run off by lots of other coaches. Maybe I just want to get him out of the ACC-A.

UGA now favored by a point and a half. Guess that’s the injury to Kerryon. I took the over at 48. I think one of these teams gets in the 30s today

I guess first round is almost impossible since UGA couldn't get a 1 seed unless wiscy, ou and clemson all lost .. but question stands on a neutral line.

I haven’t done PR #s this year, but I’d guess Alabama -6.5 on neutral vs UGA

The first sentence is probably true. Narduzzi is the only coach who ever really let Canada do his thing. He was run off by lots of other coaches. Maybe I just want to get him out of the ACC-A.
Canada already rubbing people wrong here

He sought out the Rice job apparently on his own

This won't last long here

gps - time to get an understanding of the bama injuries. What does it look like for recovery by kick?

gps - time to get an understanding of the bama injuries. What does it look like for recovery by kick?

I assume the LBs will be healthy. Not sure on Hootie Jones. Though if he’s out, might be addition by subtraction.

Back