SEC Championship Game and news and notes

Since there's only the one game this week, figured we could use this thread to discuss anything else going on in the conference, namely the coaching hires.

First, the Alabama game: That was not the Alabama team I have watched for the last decade. AU took it right at them and we were the ones who blinked and backed down. Never thought I'd see that. I always knew we could lose, but I did not expect it to happen like it did. First big game in a while where Alabama looked like the unprepared team. Have no clue what happened, but it was a collective loss. There were some players who played a great game, but they were few.

I have no idea what our offensive game plan was. It appeared that it was to get Jalen Hurts into situations that magnified his weaknesses. Obviously AU has a good defense, and a great defensive line, but Damien Harris averaged 8.5 ypc, and we gave it to him 6 times. 6!! Scarborough averaged 7.7 ypc and he also got 6 carries. I'm not a coach, but it seems that 12 carried between the two is a little light. After the first drive of the 2nd half, I (and I'm guessing almost everyone watching) thought that we were going to take control. But we barely tried to run after that drive. I don't know if it was the plan, or the execution or what, but the offense was a mess. Maybe Daboll doesn't realize he doesn't have Tom Brady at QB and that he can't change philosophies game to game or drive to drive. Who knows? Plays of the game may have been the two defensive pass interference penalties AU committed. One would have been a TD and the other would have gotten Alabama deep into AU territory, but instead, AU took the penalty and gave up no points on either drive

I thought the defense played well enough to win, but they did a poor job getting off the field on 3rd down, same thing that killed us against Clemson last year. AU had an excellent offensive game plan, and they executed it well. Stidham played really well I thought. Took a bunch of hits but stood tall and made the throws, something he had struggled with up until now. Kerryon got his yards, but like all season it took a bunch of carries. But he ran hard and fell forward most of the time, keeping them in manageable down and distances

All those things contributed to the loss, and I can handle a loss, but what was so surprising to me were the unforced errors we had. Had multiple momentum killing penalties on both sides of the ball. Especially the delay of game on 3rd and 4 while in the red zone. Backed us up and after Jalen made a monumental error throwing into double coverage, we botched the snap on the FG attempt. Just a complete meltdown. Not used to being on the receiving end of those.

Silver lining is that even with as bad as we played, I think a playoff berth is still possible. I know many will say we don't deserve it, and I tend to agree with that sentiment, with the amount of parity this season, I think it's actually likely we get a spot in the semifinals. If TCU can beat OU, I think we are definitely in. If Ohio St beats Wisconsin, I think we have a pretty decent chance. Our SOS hurts us, in that we don't have any "great" wins, but we also don't have any bad losses, which everyone else does. I think we may get a glimpse of what the committee is thinking with this week's release, but we won't know for sure. Alabama is still the betting favorite to win the national championship, so I guess Vegas isn't ready to write us off. But if the team that played this past weekend shows up again, we won't beat any of the playoff candidates. I can only hope that this was a blip on the radar for Alabama, and not a sign of things to come

Now that that bit of catharsis is handled, I'm not sure what to think about the SECCG. I don't know how anyone could have watched the first game between these two and think that UGA can win, but it's a funny game and it's hard to beat a good team twice. AU won't have the crowd advantage in this one. AU is beat up, not sure of Kerryon's status, but they didn't come out of the last three games unscathed. I know there have been rematches in the champ game, just not sure how many and what the results were. I think AU has done it twice (Tennessee in 2004 maybe, and South Carolina in the Cam Newton year) and won both games both times. Hard to bet against AU's momentum right now. I'm sure Kirby watched what happened against Alabama and has a few ideas of what to do better. The problem with AU playing both UGA and Alabama so close together, and then having to replay one of them, is that they used up a lot of their tricks the first time around. There won't be as much new stuff to surprise the UGA defense this time around. May not matter. I can't see myself betting UGA here, but maybe with some line movement or injury news. Will be interested in the over. SECCG seem to always have points

Other big news in conference is obviously the coaching changes. Mullen to UF makes sense, even if it's not the home run Florida fans wanted. But Mullen has consistently fielded a good offense and developed unheralded QBs, all at one of the hardest places to recruit and compete in the conference. If they are patient with him, I think this works out great for Florida. Ole Miss taking the interim tag off Luke makes me think the NCAA is going to hit them hard. They need a guy who will get them through it without making it worse. Kind of like Mike Shula did for Alabama. Jimbo to aTm seems like a good hire. Sounds like he and FSU were just growing tired of each other. aTm is a tougher job, but he won't want for resources.

The Malzahn to Arkansas rumor hit the skids with the way AU finished the regular season. I guess I could maybe see it still happen, but probably not. Though Gus may wish he had when he's back on the hot seat when AU goes 8-4 next season. Not sure where Ark or Miss St go from here. Think either a coordinator from a big program, or raid a mid-major.

And then there's Tennessee. What a dumpster fire. Good luck getting a big name coach now. And has there ever been a program that had to pay a coach it never hired? Best bet is to bring back Fulmer now.

I was as surprised as you to see an Alabama team that looked to be reeling. I am sure you are not used to being on the receiving end of that. As you say, a playoff berth is still very likely. May need a few chips to fall but I feel like the committee will give them the benefit of the doubt unless it just shakes out worst case scenario.

I do not think I can take UGA after the last outing but with Auburns last few games they are definitely banged up. You bring back bad memories of the Cam Newton team that beat SC down in Atlanta for the second time that season, and beat us worse in the second game.

I am blown away that Tennessee has put themselves in this position. I was surprised that Tennessee hired Schiano but also the fact that they jumped on Schiano so quickly and then the fans reacted this way. As you say, who the hell is going to want that job now? Theme of the day is AD ineptitude between tone deafness, mismanaging coaching searches, getting suckered into ridiculous buyots, etc.

Curious your opinion on the playoff here gps, I've made it clear I think that game Sat was a playoff but really could make a case for Bama if I had to..as a Bama fan I'm sure you have the want, but what do you think? I'll take winner of ACC, Big10, SEC and Big12 over Bama but can certainly make a case for Bama. Conference was garbage, #3 there probably has no biz but curious what a fan with a thought process thinks.

Excerpt below. Would seem they could get him to go with the shoulder injury, if there is an leg injury involved or Kam Martin's injury limited him that is a different issue I think. News of the week should reveal more.

Now the only question is this: Will Auburn’s warrior of a running back be healthy enough when Auburn takes seventh-ranked Georgia on in a rematch?

“There’s no way you can keep him out,” said fullback Chandler Cox.

Not so fast.

“We’ll see where we’re at,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said.

After scoring the go-ahead touchdown, giving Auburn a 20-14 lead midway through the third quarter, Johnson headed immediately to the sideline medical tent. He returned to view a few minutes later seeming no worse for wear.

He keyed Auburn’s next drive, rushing five times for 25 yards and setting up the icing touchdown. Stidham converted that one on a 16-yard dash to the end zone.

After Alabama threatened and stalled at the Auburn 33, Johnson’s task was familiar: Run out the clock. Three carries in, he headed left and suddenly stopped.

Reaching to the turf with his good arm, he downed the ball then slumped to the turf. The culprit was the shoulder injury that his other arm numb.

Before the injury, he was steadily spectacular, finishing with 104 yards on 30 carries. Only Ole Miss’ Jordan Wilkins’ had cracked the 100-yard mark against the nation’s second-best rush defense this season, and that came on the bad end of a 66-3 Alabama rout.

Can Auburn beat Georgia again without Johnson? Kamryn Pettway has been AWOL with injury for a month. Kam Martin had four carries against Alabama but was also playing with a noticeable ankle injury.

“Kerryon’s a great back and he does a lot of things with the ball in his hands,” Craig-Myers said. “Still, we have other backs to help us.”

That may be debatable, not because of talent but because of availability.

What Auburn does have is a passing game that has gone to the next level. Stidham completed 21 of 28 passes for 237 yards against Alabama. He also ran for 51 yards, primarily on scrambles, as Auburn unveiled a new facet that the Crimson Tide probably didn’t expect.

But the biggest tweak of all came on the first scoring drive, with Johnson’s pop pass to Craig-Myers.

“We executed it all week (in practice),” Craig-Myers said. “We were seeing the safety bite down (to stop the run), and he did.”

Auburn has evolved into an explosive, play-making offense. There are options beyond Johnson.

Still, there is no one more dependable, when healthy. Will he play?

“We have enough talent to win without Kerryon,” Cox said. “But I know Kerryon will play.”

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ry-leaves-his-return-georgia-doubt/881272001/

Even with the pending ncaa hammer and Luke being far from the ideal coach for Ole Miss in ideal times, got to be happy for him. I just hope they can maintain some semblance of competitiveness and don't shrink to a bottom feeder. Assuming Arkansas goes through some growing pains and there isn't much in the cupboard there I don't think Ole Miss might be able to stay out of the basement in the foreseeable future.

Curious your opinion on the playoff here gps, I've made it clear I think that game Sat was a playoff but really could make a case for Bama if I had to..as a Bama fan I'm sure you have the want, but what do you think? I'll take winner of ACC, Big10, SEC and Big12 over Bama but can certainly make a case for Bama. Conference was garbage, #3 there probably has no biz but curious what a fan with a thought process thinks.

I don't think Alabama has any case over a 1 loss, power 5 conference champion. So ACC winner definitely in. OU definitely in if they win. I think the SEC champ is definitely in. Wisconsin is in if they win. That's probably the cleanest scenario for the committee, even if most feel that Wisconsin is not one of the best 4 teams in the country. But that has probably the fewest arguments. But if tOSU beats Wisconsin, the debate begins. The loser of SEC championship is definitely out, but 11-1 Alabama has a case to get in over 11-2 Ohio St as well as an 11-2 TCU.

Kind of like 2011, it's hard for me to say we "deserve" to get in. We had a chance to get in by winning, and we didn't accomplish that. Obviously as a fan I want us in. I won't argue too strongly if the committee picked tOSU over us, but I can make a pretty good case that a team that lost 2 games, and by 31 points in one, doesn't deserve that slot too.

I don't think Alabama has any case over a 1 loss, power 5 conference champion. So ACC winner definitely in. OU definitely in if they win. I think the SEC champ is definitely in. Wisconsin is in if they win. That's probably the cleanest scenario for the committee, even if most feel that Wisconsin is not one of the best 4 teams in the country. But that has probably the fewest arguments. But if tOSU beats Wisconsin, the debate begins. The loser of SEC championship is definitely out, but 11-1 Alabama has a case to get in over 11-2 Ohio St as well as an 11-2 TCU.

Kind of like 2011, it's hard for me to say we "deserve" to get in. We had a chance to get in by winning, and we didn't accomplish that. Obviously as a fan I want us in. I won't argue too strongly if the committee picked tOSU over us, but I can make a pretty good case that a team that lost 2 games, and by 31 points in one, doesn't deserve that slot too.

If Ohio State wins Saturday night a lot is going to hinge on how they win that game.

Thanks for that, I place TCU above them if they win but if I was an attorney I'd make a helluva case for Bama....this is a crazy year where it's easier to make a case against pretty much everyone

Nobody knows anything about the NCAA sanctions, and it makes no sense to hire Luke before you get them. He wasn't going anywhere, and if better candidates wanted more clarity on the situation, then why not wait until you actually had it? It was just an awful hire for Ole Miss. The AD and the Chancellor both need to be put out to pasture. Maybe the sanctions will be bad enough to get them both fired. I have hinted at it before, but for those that have followed the Ole Miss NCAA saga, you will definitely want to pay attention to Leo Lewis' testimony at the hearing which should be included in the NCAA's findings. Sanctions are expected this week. We'll see.

Thanks for that, I place TCU above them if they win but if I was an attorney I'd make a helluva case for Bama....this is a crazy year where it's easier to make a case against pretty much everyone

Yes, I think the parity this season sets it up for something crazy to happen. To be honest, as a fan of the sport in general, I'd say this is the year to put in an undefeated UCF, if they win on Saturday. But I have zero confidence the committee has any desire to do that, so probably not worth the effort to argue on their behalf

Reactions: KJ
And I hate the narrative of comparing "good" losses, but at some point who you lost to has to count

Yes, I think the parity this season sets it up for something crazy to happen. To be honest, as a fan of the sport in general, I'd say this is the year to put in an undefeated UCF, if they win on Saturday. But I have zero confidence the committee has any desire to do that, so probably not worth the effort to argue on their behalf

If UCF makes it as an undefeated I will have no issues with it, this is the year for that to happen

And I hate the narrative of comparing "good" losses, but at some point who you lost to has to count
And what's great, I assume you know who my team is

The B12 champion will have lost to that 7-5 dynasty

Although I don’t have an issue with it, it is hard to believe they let UCF in with all the made up metric at their disposal.

Reports that Jeremy Pruitt (Alabama DC) has interviewed for Miss St job.

If offered, I expect he'll take it

Agreed, but the fact UF did not get him leads me to believe it is only a matter of time until NEB announces his hire. Fruitless effort.

If so, fine. Every NEB fan wants him and that hire is quite the hit...just don't understand it from his perspective. NEB isn't the great job it was 30 years ago and Husker fans still think it is, funny and all but you aren't the only team on tv with unlimited schollys....you're just another team in middle America now. Deal with it.

Coaching where you went to school has to hold a special place in the hearts of these coaches. Do I believe it is a better job, no. Being able to throw a rock from your front porch and hit a recruit makes this a better job in MY opinion.

If so, fine. Every NEB fan wants him and that hire is quite the hit...just don't understand it from his perspective. NEB isn't the great job it was 30 years ago and Husker fans still think it is, funny and all but you aren't the only team on tv with unlimited schollys....you're just another team in middle America now. Deal with it.
Are they though? The B10 west reminds me of the SEC east. Lots of opportunity for a team to win games. Look at Wisconsin they are undefeated and playing for the playoff with a very weak SOS. Obviously Nebraska got blown out by a few bad teams but they also had some one score games to Oregon and NW. It does not seem unreasonable for them to think that if could do an about face with UCF from the skeleton of O'Leary than he could possibly do something with Nebraska.

Interesting, If I were Scott Frost, Nebraska, a Husker fan or anyone else that wants an offense I'd be pissed off

That would be a mismatch like, well, Vag Cav and anyone here...Nebraska should get Schiano, that would light the lamps

I walked up to a BJ table as the dealer was telling some guy , "no way, ain't gonna happen". I had a feeling it was Bama/Au.
I told him Aubbie was gonna eat dat azz on Saturday and I'm gonna get almost 2 to 1 on it.
He was unbending. Home field, momentum. He wouldn't budge.
I didn't go look for him Saturday night, scotch induced walking zombie that I was. I don't know what he saw that prevented any slightest chance for the Tigers.

Only two things were sure:
LSU wins
Sumlin hits the bricks.

A few more rematches off the top of my head, but going way back.

2000 Florida over Auburn twice
2001 Tennessee over LSU in Knoxville, LSU won in Atlanta
2003 LSU over Georgia twice, first one in Baton Rouge

I feel like Alabama beat Florida on the road in 99 and then again in Atlanta, but not positive. Maybe even another one of those early Alabama-Florida years?

Probably doesn’t matter but I don’t remember a rematch coming so soon after the original game. It seems like the others were all September-October.

Can’t believe I forgot ‘99. Alabama beat Florida in the swamp in OT, then again in Atlanta in a blowout. Shaun Alexander ran wild in that first game

Didn’t a missed extra point play a part in that OT game?

And speaking of Alexander running wild, I was there for his breakout in Baton Rouge in 96. Something like 291 and 3 or 4 TDs, with most of it coming in the second half.

Last edited:
I took UGA +3. Like them in revenge, Auburn RB will be banged up though I'm sure they'll shoot him up and he'll play. Like the dogs in a close one.

Biggest shock of the Bama game was how they came out to start the 2H and ran it right down Auburn's throat and then seemed to abandon the run after that....I was shocked.

Reports that Jeremy Pruitt (Alabama DC) has interviewed for Miss St job.

If offered, I expect he'll take it
He should

Not sure it's a good hire tho

Messy St had the best they coulda had I think....he did pretty amazing there

I also can't believe people didn't think Mullen would take it....I also can't believe people don't think it's a good hire for Gator

GREAT hire I think....we know he can run an offense.

Can he recruit at the level needed at FLA?

I know he can't be worse than the nekkid shark boy

And he can find diamonds in the rough and he can coach em up!

He's going to Florida. You shouldn't need to "coach em up" there

Different animal

Didn’t a missed extra point play a part in that OT game?

And speaking of Alexander running wild, I was there for his breakout in Baton Rouge in 96. Something like 291 and 3 or 4 TDs, with most of it coming in the second half.
Lol

I thought you said you were there for his coming OUT

Haha

Had a small play ( was juiced to hell) on Kerryon under 119.5 in the iron bowl (which I was fortunate to win) and will more than likely so so again if they post him for this one. I'm not really interested in the side or total on the CG. It will be interesting to see what wrinkles the GA offense has for this one because one would think they will need to do so. Props only for me or I'll just pace the floor and talk out loud.

As far as Bama making the playoffs they were -190 to do so when I first saw it. It then dipped to -125 and settled around -150 but I don't see it this morning. My first instinct was to play no but I didn't so whatever as far as that.

Since there's only the one game this week, figured we could use this thread to discuss anything else going on in the conference, namely the coaching hires.

First, the Alabama game: That was not the Alabama team I have watched for the last decade. AU took it right at them and we were the ones who blinked and backed down. Never thought I'd see that. I always knew we could lose, but I did not expect it to happen like it did. First big game in a while where Alabama looked like the unprepared team. Have no clue what happened, but it was a collective loss. There were some players who played a great game, but they were few.

I have no idea what our offensive game plan was. It appeared that it was to get Jalen Hurts into situations that magnified his weaknesses. Obviously AU has a good defense, and a great defensive line, but Damien Harris averaged 8.5 ypc, and we gave it to him 6 times. 6!! Scarborough averaged 7.7 ypc and he also got 6 carries. I'm not a coach, but it seems that 12 carried between the two is a little light. After the first drive of the 2nd half, I (and I'm guessing almost everyone watching) thought that we were going to take control. But we barely tried to run after that drive. I don't know if it was the plan, or the execution or what, but the offense was a mess. Maybe Daboll doesn't realize he doesn't have Tom Brady at QB and that he can't change philosophies game to game or drive to drive. Who knows? Plays of the game may have been the two defensive pass interference penalties AU committed. One would have been a TD and the other would have gotten Alabama deep into AU territory, but instead, AU took the penalty and gave up no points on either drive

I thought the defense played well enough to win, but they did a poor job getting off the field on 3rd down, same thing that killed us against Clemson last year. AU had an excellent offensive game plan, and they executed it well. Stidham played really well I thought. Took a bunch of hits but stood tall and made the throws, something he had struggled with up until now. Kerryon got his yards, but like all season it took a bunch of carries. But he ran hard and fell forward most of the time, keeping them in manageable down and distances

All those things contributed to the loss, and I can handle a loss, but what was so surprising to me were the unforced errors we had. Had multiple momentum killing penalties on both sides of the ball. Especially the delay of game on 3rd and 4 while in the red zone. Backed us up and after Jalen made a monumental error throwing into double coverage, we botched the snap on the FG attempt. Just a complete meltdown. Not used to being on the receiving end of those.

Silver lining is that even with as bad as we played, I think a playoff berth is still possible. I know many will say we don't deserve it, and I tend to agree with that sentiment, with the amount of parity this season, I think it's actually likely we get a spot in the semifinals. If TCU can beat OU, I think we are definitely in. If Ohio St beats Wisconsin, I think we have a pretty decent chance. Our SOS hurts us, in that we don't have any "great" wins, but we also don't have any bad losses, which everyone else does. I think we may get a glimpse of what the committee is thinking with this week's release, but we won't know for sure. Alabama is still the betting favorite to win the national championship, so I guess Vegas isn't ready to write us off. But if the team that played this past weekend shows up again, we won't beat any of the playoff candidates. I can only hope that this was a blip on the radar for Alabama, and not a sign of things to come
Spot on gps. Hurts was put into too many situations that showed his weakness. He had tunnel vision for Ridley as well. That was definitely not a Bama team I am used to seeing over the past 5 years. It was a mixture of Aub D & the play calling.
I am gonna try to rewatch it today and get more into breakdown. May comment more later but after watching it live you pretty much nailed it with your insight above. You remind me of a friend of mine that is an FSU fan that knows his team up, down, over and back again and can pretty much spot on tell me what went wrong in a game. You are awesome man.

Back