1/1:

Outback:
South Carolina (+9.5) vs Michigan

Peach: AU (-10) vs UCF

Citrus: LSU (-1) vs Notre Dame

Rose: UGA (PK) vs Oklahoma

Sugar: Alabama (-1.5) vs Clemson

Lots to get into here. Will update the openers as they occur

Only thing to really say about the SECCG was that AU looked like a team that was just flat beat up. 3 huge, physical games that close together, not sure there's any team that could have gone 3-0 there. UGA had the game plan that I wished Alabama had run against AU, but that's neither here nor there.

I will add injury and suspension/transfer news in this thread as time allows, hopefully all the great posters here will help out and contribute.

On the Alabama side of things, at this point we expect to be fully healthy, save Shaun Dion Hamilton and Hootie Jones. SDH will be missed, hate that it's the 2nd straight year he will miss the playoffs due to injury. Hootie is a senior, but I wouldn't say that he (or Tony Brown for that matter) has the full trust of the staff. Deionte Thompson will likely start in his place, based on formation. Thompson is young, but has looked pretty good when he's played this year, especially in run support. Not sure of his coverage skills. Heard something on the radio this morning, that Alabama has missed 40 starts on defense due to injury, and 37 of them will be back for the game against Clemson. 30 of those missed starts were at LB. I don't think this is insignificant

Clemson will struggle to stretch out Bama's defense considering Bryant's numbers on intermediate and deep passes. https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/936412960754360325

I think the key question is how much will Bama's recovering health at linebacker make a difference to its run defense.

I also would like to see more from Bama's offensive line

It's interesting all the talk about the two defenses, but both of their previous match-ups have gone 'over,' right?

Last edited:
Can't say I'm excited about any of the other SEC bowls. Miss St vs Louisville would have been a whole lot more compelling with Nick Fitzgerald, but without him and no Mullen, no thanks. Interested to see the motivation levels of both AU and UCF. I fully expect to hear that Kerryon Johnson is having or had surgery today or tomorrow to fix whatever is broke on him. I definitely do not expect him to play, but that is just my feeling with no solid info behind it. As VK has pointed out, UCF is probably the worst undefeated P5 team in a while, and their coach is leaving. Hard to peg their motivation/prep for that one. LSU gets a chance to avenge their loss in the Music City Bowl to ND a few years ago. Interesting because of the names involved. I'll probably watch Mizzou-Texas, but no interest in UK or aTm games other than if I bet them. Haven't even looked at the other non-SEC bowl matchups, so need to start planning my watching/betting schedule

Clemson will struggle to stretch out Bama's defense considering Bryant's numbers on intermediate and deep passes. https://twitter.com/CFBFilmRoom/status/936412960754360325

I think the key question is how much will Bama's recovering health at linebacker make a difference to its run defense.

I also would like to see more from Bama's offensive line

It's interesting all the talk about the two defenses, but both of their previous match-ups have gone 'over,' right?

Yeah they both went over. Was basically a by product of Deshaun Watson having virtuoso performances and both teams leaving it all out there.

I haven't watched much of Clemson this season, but I am really happy that we aren't playing Watson again. From what I've heard, Bryant doesn't stretch the field vertically all that great, and is mostly a dink and dunk passer, but is a good runner. Having the healthy LBs will certainly help. Clemson's front 4 vs our OL is the matchup that worries me the most. If it's a game where we are constantly in 3rd and 7, I don't see it ending up well for Alabama. They will have to have success running the ball. For the love of Mike, please give Damien Harris more touches, fewer for Scarborough. Should be a fun game, both fanbases can get to NOLA easily, the teams know each other, both have been in the playoffs before, and now they have a month to prepare for each other, rather than 9 days. I think the only intangible that favors one team over the other is that Jalen has played in this game before, and Bryant hasn't. Not sure that makes much of a difference, but it's all I can think of.

Frost is leaving obviously, but is coaching the bowl. I do not think motivation and prep will be difficult for UCF team. Coaches, perhaps. Matchup and physicality difficulties, yes. Then there is the question about Gus staying or going, which we should know soon enough.

LV DC was the Miss St DC last year (Sermon). Granthom was LV DC last year, but he left Miss St to follow Mullen to UF. So perhaps slight advantage to LV in that regard among others.

Is a month enough time for someone else (other than Ridley) to develop as an option for Hurts? I couldn't believe that Scarbrough is 2nd on the team with 15 or so receptions.

Frost is leaving obviously, but is coaching the bowl. I do not think motivation and prep will be difficult for UCF team. Coaches, perhaps. Matchup and physicality difficulties, yes. Then there is the question about Gus staying or going, which we should know soon enough.
Looks like the Gus question just got answered. $49M/7 years at AU.

Last edited:
Know what the buyout is? That's insane. They lost 3 games this year...contract values are becoming less important to me (see NFL) than the terms.

I don't see how UCF can care about this too much outside of wanting to finish undefeated maybe? Coach leaving, missed playoffs, won their superbowl in overtime, playing a three loss team instead of being in the playoffs ... just seems tough to think they care a bunch or are prepared enough. They should struggle at the line of scrimmage even if they are ready and not sure there is a way to change that fact for UCF. I think Frost, if he is focused, will come up with a gameplan to try and get Milton to release faster but that isn't always his style and his willingness to force into coverage could be really bad in this one. There is also more upside to Auburn getting better with the extra practices when you consider they were steadily getting better as the year went on anyway. Pretty sure UCF is plateaued.

Grantham isn’t coaching State in the bowl game either, correct? If so, you have to think it’s extemely difficult without both he and Mullen.

Not sure if it matters because of reasons outlined above, but I would still expect UCF to be motivated. They don’t seem bitter about the decision and he didn’t just walk out on them.

Is a month enough time for someone else (other than Ridley) to develop as an option for Hurts? I couldn't believe that Scarbrough is 2nd on the team with 15 or so receptions.

I don't know. If you watch the 11v11 view from the AU game, Alabama had WR open all day. It's all on Hurts. If he has a clean pocket, he usually spreads the ball around, but he is prone to break from the pocket rather than step up in it, so he doesn't get a whole lot of clean ones, especially against better defenses. And if he's scrambling, he only has eyes for #3. Even if Ridley is on the sideline. I feel like Kiffin would have realized this and just built something with it, similar to when Amari caught 100+ passes a few seasons ago. To me, it seems like Daboll is still trying to get Hurts to fit into what he wants to run on offense, rather than play to Jalen's strengths. On the other hand, Hurts' stated reason for coming to Alabama was to develop as a pro-style passer, so I guess he's trying his hardest to do it. But so far it's almost like a fish out of water. Jalen has so much talent and poise, but he is clearly not a consistent down the field passer to this point

Grantham isn’t coaching State in the bowl game either, correct? If so, you have to think it’s extemely difficult without both he and Mullen.

Grantham is in Gainesville already and will not be involved in Miss St's bowl I'm pretty sure.

I don't see how UCF can care about this too much outside of wanting to finish undefeated maybe? Coach leaving, missed playoffs, won their superbowl in overtime, playing a three loss team instead of being in the playoffs ... just seems tough to think they care a bunch or are prepared enough. They should struggle at the line of scrimmage even if they are ready and not sure there is a way to change that fact for UCF. I think Frost, if he is focused, will come up with a gameplan to try and get Milton to release faster but that isn't always his style and his willingness to force into coverage could be really bad in this one. There is also more upside to Auburn getting better with the extra practices when you consider they were steadily getting better as the year went on anyway. Pretty sure UCF is plateaued.

This team didn't in any way have playoff expectations before the season or probably even last week. I don't think their playing will be affected by disappointment.

I don't know. If you watch the 11v11 view from the AU game, Alabama had WR open all day. It's all on Hurts. If he has a clean pocket, he usually spreads the ball around, but he is prone to break from the pocket rather than step up in it, so he doesn't get a whole lot of clean ones, especially against better defenses. And if he's scrambling, he only has eyes for #3. Even if Ridley is on the sideline. I feel like Kiffin would have realized this and just built something with it, similar to when Amari caught 100+ passes a few seasons ago. To me, it seems like Daboll is still trying to get Hurts to fit into what he wants to run on offense, rather than play to Jalen's strengths. On the other hand, Hurts' stated reason for coming to Alabama was to develop as a pro-style passer, so I guess he's trying his hardest to do it. But so far it's almost like a fish out of water. Jalen has so much talent and poise, but he is clearly not a consistent down the field passer to this point
I hate comparing college QBs to their counterparts, but he reminds me of Russell Wilson. Good athletic ability, but always looking for Doug Baldwin.

I hate comparing college QBs to their counterparts, but he reminds me of Russell Wilson. Good athletic ability, but always looking for Doug Baldwin.

For NFL QBs, Dak Prescott is a good comparison IMO. For college, I fear he is a younger version of JT Barrett

If Hurts is Dak Prescott, he should be the first QB taken in this years draft.

I am referencing current Dak, and mean that Hurts has some tools, but he can't be great by himself, e.g. Dak without Zeke Elliott. Hurts in Mullen's offense, or Malzahn's offense, is a true game changer. In our offense as we last saw it, Hurts can make some plays, but is also a liability far too often

I am referencing current Dak, and mean that Hurts has some tools, but he can't be great by himself, e.g. Dak without Zeke Elliott. Hurts in Mullen's offense, or Malzahn's offense, is a true game changer. In our offense as we last saw it, Hurts can make some plays, but is also a liability far too often[/QUOT

Ok gotcha. Don't disagree in regard to offensive fit

Don't think I could disagree more. UCF has been buried in the rankings since they started releasing them and they knew they had no shot at the playoffs. But now they get an SEC team and get to play in a New Years Bowl and really prove themselves. This is their Super Bowl and they should be jacked. The fact that students were camping out waiting to get tickets should tell you all you need to know. Auburn kids won't give a fuck.

The only team that won't care or be prepared is Auburn. They played in monster games way bigger than this down the stretch and were all the way up to #2 in the playoffs only to come up short. Season has to feel like a disappointment for all in the locker room now based on what has happened. A group of 5 team won't interest them a bit. Think UCF is one of the better plays of the bowl season.

Reactions: KJ
VK: Why do you think last week's game was UCF's Super Bowl? It was a rematch against a geographically-distant conference opponent they had already stomped earlier in the year. If anything, this past Saturday would have been the time UCF had a letdown. Now a bunch of Group of 5 kids from the south get a shot against one of the SEC big boys - a team twice played for a national title while these players were teenagers, including a win led by one of the most visible and popular players in the NFL right now? There may be talent and system reasons to support Auburn (I personally won't have a play on this one either way) but the motivation department is one of the few places I confidently feel UCF has a big edge.

Backup LB for Alabama Dylan Moses broke his foot at practice, and is assumed unavailable for the playoffs. Beginning to think we pissed off the gods of LB health

Excerpts from here: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...an_moses_injury_means.html#incart_river_index

Moses, an SEC All-Freshman team selection who had started the last two games, could become the seventh Alabama linebacker to miss multiple games due to an injury and could be the fourth to have sustained an injury that's either season-ending or long-term.
While this is yet another injury-related blow for the Tide and takes away one of the team's most talented young players, Alabama is better prepared to handle this type of injury than it would have been in November.

Promising sophomore inside linebacker Mack Wilson is back from a foot injury that caused him to miss three games in November. So, even though Shaun Dion Hamilton and Moses are out, the Tide still has All-SEC selection Rashaan Evans at one inside linebacker position and the capability to play either Wilson or redshirt junior Keith Holcombe at the spot previously occupied by Moses.

Back