SEC Bowl Season Discussion

Nothing I really like in today's game. Took the over

Around the rest of the conference, here's what I'm looking at:

No way I bet AU. Purdue or nothing. I wrote about it in the B1G thread, but AU is a mess with a lot of internal issues within the AD right now. Gus has shown that he's not great at preparing his team for bowls, so I can't in good conscience bet them. So of course, they'll win by 21

I like Florida for a variety of reasons that are also mostly covered in the B1G thread. Not sure if there are anything to the rumors, but sounds like Harbaugh might be a sought after coach for some NFL teams. In that regard, much better that this game is before Black Monday. But with all the UM guys sitting out, I like UF to keep this close if not win

Got nothing on SC vs UVA

14 is a ton against a team that can score like OU. If nothing else, the backdoor will be wide open. There will be no quit by either team unless it's a 35 point game in the 4th, which I can't see happening. I'm interested in Alabama TT over, as well OU TT over. And definitely those in 1H. And as good as Alabama has been in the 1H this season, I kind of like OU 1H, as I think they'll throw the kitchen sink at that defense, knowing they can't afford to get behind

No real opinion on Mizzou or aTm, though I lean both SEC squads. Would feel better about Aggies than Mizzou

Miss St-Iowa should be pretty boring. Think State is better team overall, but Iowa knows how to get in and win a fistfight. Lean Bulldogs

LSU should trounce UCF. And they'd be doing us all a favor. UCF has somehow made themselves an unlovable underdog. I feel it's wrong that they and other G5 teams start the season without any way of making the playoff, so it's not that I think they don't belong. I fully expect them to win though and the narrative will continue

Feels like Penn St should win easily, but UK has hung around all year. Will have to look into this one further, but Penn St is my pick at first glance

If UGA and Texas both play their best game, UGA wins easily. I think it's fair to question UGA's mindset these last 4 weeks. If they are feeling sorry for themselves, I can see Tom Herman improving on his underdog record.

No way I bet AU. Purdue or nothing. I wrote about it in the B1G thread, but AU is a mess with a lot of internal issues within the AD right now. Gus has shown that he's not great at preparing his team for bowls, so I can't in good conscience bet them. So of course, they'll win by 21

How did Aubbie do on early signing?
I could see Gus needing to impress considering the haul other schools had in conference. I wouldn't hang my hat on it, but looking at motivational angle.
Irsay flying the purdue fan to the bowl will definitely give motivation to the Boilers.

LSU should trounce UCF. And they'd be doing us all a favor. UCF has somehow made themselves an unlovable underdog.

Somehow = many ways.

750x422

UCF is thoroughly enjoying the illusion it created of being a legit powerhouse. They should just schedule real teams out of conference! They only wanna play legit teams during bowl season hmmm

How did Aubbie do on early signing?
I could see Gus needing to impress considering the haul other schools had in conference. I wouldn't hang my hat on it, but looking at motivational angle.
Irsay flying the purdue fan to the bowl will definitely give motivation to the Boilers.

I don't know what they were expecting, but I don't think there was anything that they are overly excited for. I agree that Gus needs to impress, I'm just not confident he can do it. There is a large faction within the boosters and administration that were ready to fire him this year, and everyone knows it. I don't know enough about the team to know if Gus is the kind of guy that has the loyalty of his players, but based on how they botched that kid's redshirt this season and the subsequent transfer, my guess is that Gus doesn't have the full support of the players

Over hit easily yesterday, try to keep it going. Took Purdue +3.5. Obviously lost value from open, but I’ve always had more success by waiting to bet than firing in early

I think Brown to Cotton is more than a slight drop off, but at least it's someone with experience

More than a slight drop-off in the run game for sure. Don't think it's much of a drop-off in the passing game. Don't think it'll be much of a factor for the Oklahoma game, but could very well be a big factor in the Clemson game.

It’s not that I generally lose betting on auburn games, it’s that it’s never even close

Same. One of the most schizophrenic teams in college football. Case in point: had I played the Auburn game today, I probably would have taken Purdue and the points. Maybe I should just fade myself on Auburn games.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter if I bet on or against AU, I’m almost always very wrong

It’s not that I generally lose betting on auburn games, it’s that it’s never even close

gps, my betting partner and I looked yesterday. We bet on 8 Auburn games this year. 4 with them, 3 against them, and 1 total

0-8

U Buffalo was the same way. Kryptonite for us, even with a winning year so far

L12 seasons Saban 21-7-2 O/U on a neutral surface:
  • 20-2-2 when Bama scores more than 24
L12 seasons Saban 15-5-1 O/U in the postseason:
  • 14-1-1 when Bama scores more than 24
  • 13-2-1 against teams who allow more than 13 ppg

Opposing teams 10-24 versus Saban in the postseason:
  • 0-22 scoring 28 or less
  • 10-2 scoring more than 28 points
Sooners +565

Just want to say a quick thanks to all of you here at CTG for another fun season. I'm not as active as I used to be due to life, but always a great place to talk shop. The end of the season is a little bittersweet, I do get a little burned out by the end, so will be good to focus on my golf game for the next 8 months and maybe do a little capping on the side in preparation for the coming season.

Back