12/31:

Missouri (-10) vs Oklahoma St

aTm (-4.5) vs NC St

1/1:

Miss St (-5.5) vs Iowa

LSU (-7.5) vs UCF

Kentucky (+4.5) vs Penn St

UGA (-10.5) vs Texas

LSU line is the worst of bowl season. Don't see how they don't destroy UCF in ugly fashion.

Tua suffered a high ankle sprain against UGA. SOP at Alabama seems that the players receive a "scope" of the ankle to facilitate and speed recovery. Saban said it usually takes 2 weeks until the players are ready to go after having it done. Hurts had the same thing done earlier this season during the bye week. I don't know the severity of either, but if you saw Jalen walking around before the Miss St game (2 weeks after bye), he barely looked like he could walk, much less play football. If Tua had procedure done Sunday, that's 27 days until the Oklahoma game. Obviously not having to practice for the next 2 weeks will allow him to fully concentrate on his rehab, but it's worth keeping an eye on. Even if fully "healthy" by the 29th, will he trust it? I'm sure there will be some rust as well. At this point, I would expect Jalen to have a pretty hefty role in the OU game.

It's possible/likely that Alabama will lose some coaches in the next few days. Locksley is interviewing for the Maryland job, and he is on record as saying it's his dream job. I've heard there are a few things he wants before he takes the job, but assuming Maryland offers and meets his conditions, I think he's gone. It's rumored that Pete Golding is up for the OU DC job, but last I heard is that he is staying put. Also, Tennessee is interested in Enos for their OC. I think we will definitely try to keep him on staff, particularly if Locks leaves. Outside of the Kiffin/Sarkisian fiasco, Alabama has handled coaches leaving during this prep as well as could be hoped for. Thankfully none of the key guys this year seem to be of the Kiffin/Sark mold

Unsure on whether Terrell Lewis will be able to play the OU game. He was practicing during the AU and UGA weeks, so my guess is that he will be medically cleared. He can redshirt regardless, so there are no eligibility concerns. As far as I know, the team Alabama puts on the field in Miami will be as healthy as they've been since October, depending on Tua

Of note, Kirby Smart is 32-8 with a conference championship in his first 3 years. That is the exact same record and conference titles as Mark Richt in his first 3 years

Read a pretty interesting analysis of the UGA fake punt call. Said that UGA noticed that when Alabama ran punt safe, they left a slot gunner uncovered because he was usually covered up by the outside gunner, making him an ineligible receiver and not worth covering. UGA moved this slot guy into an eligible receiver alignment, but Alabama's coaches noticed it and got it covered. The two key mistakes Kirby made were sending Justin Fields out there, tipping the defense off that something was up, and not calling a timeout to opt out of the fake. I think that Fields was tasked with changing the play if it wasn't there, but with him being a true freshman in a huge moment, he didn't. So while Kirby gets a lot of criticism for trying a fake against "safe", that was actually the entire point to run it against the safe formation. But Alabama recognized it, and Kirby's failing was to use a timeout to get out of the play. Maybe he wanted to save the timeout since he had already used one?

I've heard all that as well. The bottom line is, punt the ball and play good D and go win it in OT. UA best player was out. If Kirby wanted to be aggressive he had plenty of opportunities in the 2h to be just that but just did not.

I've gone back and forth over the years trying to handicap perceived motivation. The one year I leaned on it heavily was a disaster. My basic premise now is basically the same as in season. I cap based on both teams playing their best game. Then I adjust from there based on any and all tangible and intangible information available. But no longer will I fade a far superior team just because I think they don't want to be there

I've gone back and forth over the years trying to handicap perceived motivation. The one year I leaned on it heavily was a disaster. My basic premise now is basically the same as in season. I cap based on both teams playing their best game. Then I adjust from there based on any and all tangible and intangible information available. But no longer will I fade a far superior team just because I think they don't want to be there

Do you think Greedy‘s decision to sit out the bowl at all reflects LSU‘s attitude towards this game with UCF?

Do you think Greedy‘s decision to sit out the bowl at all reflects LSU‘s attitude towards this game with UCF?

I don't think his decision, or anyone who elects to skip the bowl, necessarily reflects on the team's attitude toward the game

I've heard all that as well. The bottom line is, punt the ball and play good D and go win it in OT. UA best player was out. If Kirby wanted to be aggressive he had plenty of opportunities in the 2h to be just that but just did not.

That's the Jim Chaney offensive way...dates way back to the Tiller years are Purdue. Aggressive play calling in the 1st half and turn it around and try to hang on for dear life in the 2nd.

Read a pretty interesting analysis of the UGA fake punt call. Said that UGA noticed that when Alabama ran punt safe, they left a slot gunner uncovered because he was usually covered up by the outside gunner, making him an ineligible receiver and not worth covering. UGA moved this slot guy into an eligible receiver alignment, but Alabama's coaches noticed it and got it covered. The two key mistakes Kirby made were sending Justin Fields out there, tipping the defense off that something was up, and not calling a timeout to opt out of the fake. I think that Fields was tasked with changing the play if it wasn't there, but with him being a true freshman in a huge moment, he didn't. So while Kirby gets a lot of criticism for trying a fake against "safe", that was actually the entire point to run it against the safe formation. But Alabama recognized it, and Kirby's failing was to use a timeout to get out of the play. Maybe he wanted to save the timeout since he had already used one?

don't even need to take a timeout. just take the delay of game

you said that last year

I can't be wrong? Ucf was better than Auburn. No doubt they proved that.

But this version is miles worse, lsu is right there with aub of last year and no Milton.

A little worried about motivation with ucf playing for back to back National Championships but LSU should physically destroy them

I would have to think that Jimbo doesn't want to lay egg in his first bowl with the Ags.
He's going to be working on recruits for his system and that's an added positive.

I would have to think that Jimbo doesn't want to lay egg in his first bowl with the Ags.
He's going to be working on recruits for his system and that's an added positive.
Jimbo has done a good job with the extra practice time through the FSU years. Outside of the Oregon debacle, which can’t be put at his feet, his teams have performed well.

If I'm Bama, I never throw a pass.
Kansas ran for 348 vs. OU, 9.7yds/attempt.
In a pass happy conference all but three(quick perusal ) rank 100+ in pass defense. Leads me to disregard the B12 defensive rushing stats, overall.

The Tide runs for 142 vs. Messyst #3 defense. They run for 157 vs. Jorja #13 defense.

I wonder what the over /under on Bama punts will be.

If I'm Bama, I never throw a pass.
Kansas ran for 348 vs. OU, 9.7yds/attempt.
In a pass happy conference all but three(quick perusal ) rank 100+ in pass defense. Leads me to disregard the B12 defensive rushing stats, overall.

The Tide runs for 142 vs. Messyst #3 defense. They run for 157 vs. Jorja #13 defense.

I wonder what the over /under on Bama punts will be.

The Texas offensive line was pathetic last Saturday. That is still a bad OU defense and we couldn't establish a GD thing on the ground.

Don't expect the same outcome on Dec. 29. Bama will run it down OU's throats.

The Texas offensive line was pathetic last Saturday. That is still a bad OU defense and we couldn't establish a GD thing on the ground.

Don't expect the same outcome on Dec. 29. Bama will run it down OU's throats.

Probably my fault, I was rooting for you guys.
Had to look around and make sure no one I knew saw me.

Excellent post.

The net result of the fake punt was 30 yards of field position. Honestly, even if Georgia punts the ball, I'm not convinced the result would have been any different.

I pretty much like all of the SEC teams to cover except Alabama and Auburn.

If, however, Kyler Murray wins the Heisman, I may change my mind on Alabama.

Is there a Heisman curse the way there exists an MVP curse for the super bowl?

I can give you 3 that I'm aware of.

Bo Jackson, Ags beat Auburn in the 86 Cotton Bowl
Tim Brown , Ags beat ND in the 88 cotton Bowl
Ty Detmer, Ags beat BYU 65-14 in the 90 Holiday Bowl and dislocated both of Detmer shoulders, knocking him out of the game.

A buddy of mine used say he hoped we would play a Heisman winner.
Ags had defense in those days, tho.

Weinke lost to OK.
Troy Smith to UF.
Bush to UT.
Mariota to tOSU.
Bradford to UF.
J White to LSU.
Crouch to the "U".

Off the top of my head lost the NC after winning the trophy.

Gino Torretta spent a lot of time on his backside against Alabama after winning the Heisman. OTOH, Ingram and Henry won national championships after winning the Heisman

Gino Torretta spent a lot of time on his backside against Alabama after winning the Heisman. OTOH, Ingram and Henry won national championships after winning the Heisman

Funny! Just posted about Gino Torretta in VK's bowl thread. Haha!

But I do think if Kyler Murray wins the Heisman, it will provide an extra measure of motivation for Alabama.

Re: Tua....Always seems like a high ankle sprain is simply an injury that (normally) just takes a long time to heal. What sort of surgery did Tua have to expedite the recovery? I've never heard of surgery for a high ankle sprain, and I tend to follow this stuff pretty closely.

Re: Tua....Always seems like a high ankle sprain is simply an injury that (normally) just takes a long time to heal. What sort of surgery did Tua have to expedite the recovery? I've never heard of surgery for a high ankle sprain, and I tend to follow this stuff pretty closely.
High ankle sprain. Hurt had the same surgery earlier this year. He sat 4 weeks. UnlessTua is a quick heel, he will not be ready for this game.

Thanks. Realize there may not be many MDs on this board but what is the specific surgery for a sprain, high ankle or otherwise? Just thought elevation and rest was the only treatment.

Thanks. Realize there may not be many MDs on this board but what is the specific surgery for a sprain, high ankle or otherwise? Just thought elevation and rest was the only treatment.

From what I've heard, it's a relatively new procedure developed by one of the orthos that works with the team from the Andrews Sports Medicine practice. There are rumors that Hurts wasn't as consistent with his rehab as one would expect and that it delayed his recovery, though I don't know that to be the case and it sounds somewhat out of character for him. Maybe he figured he wouldn't get much playing time in the games that figured to be closer?

3 Alabama players did not make trip to Miami due to violation of team rules. Only one was a starter, G Deonte Brown. He’s great at run blocking and the offense is worse off without him

3 Alabama players did not make trip to Miami due to violation of team rules. Only one was a starter, G Deonte Brown. He’s great at run blocking and the offense is worse off without him
Interesting. Thx.

That means last year's starter at left guard (Lester Cotton) will have to play, so only a slight drop off. Brown is a mauler in the run game though, and will be missed.

Back