Schedule Release 2023

I see the Bears are now the favorites to be the Chiefs opponent overseas (Detroit had been mentioned)...

If they stick with no division opponent for the season opener we could see...

Buffalo
Cincy
Detroit
Miami

Be the Arrowhead guests on championship night.

All of those are highly intriguing.

If I were to bet I'd go with KC/Miami. Tyreek back in Arrowhead. Would hate to burn one of the big three matchups this early. CBS will want to keep KC/Buff and KC/Cincy at all costs. You can probably ink one of those two as a week 9 or 10 4:20 matchup.

If I were to bet I'd go with KC/Miami. Tyreek back in Arrowhead. Would hate to burn one of the big three matchups this early. CBS will want to keep KC/Buff and KC/Cincy at all costs. You can probably ink one of those two as a week 9 or 10 4:20 matchup.

Plus Buffalo played in the opening night game last year against the Rams. Not that it would necessarily matter, but you’d have to imagine they aren’t going with a team (any team) two years in a row on opening night outside of a repeat champion of course.

Wonder who will get stuck on TNF twice?

Hopefully the Jets so we aren't subjected to them on other primetime nights as much.

What’s the point of Thursday Nighter move?
They have to obviously be aware of the criticism about those games.

Wonder who will get stuck on TNF twice?

Hopefully the Jets so we aren't subjected to them on other primetime nights as much.
I was thinking more we dont get forced panthers or texans games at all in primetime

Allows them to do cowboys on a regular Thursday night game as well which Amazon will love

Kinda sad we don’t have an AFC and NFC network anymore. 60 years of tradition drowned by money.

Big loser is going to be the 1 o’clock games. Filled with crappy teams, poor markets and small fan bases.

I was thinking more we dont get forced panthers or texans games at all in primetime

Allows them to do cowboys on a regular Thursday night game as well which Amazon will love

But wasn’t it already set up where every team would play one TNF game a year?

As in, who cares…it’s the TNF game. Every team plays one, the season moves on.

Wouldn’t it be plausible, that if every network knew the TNF schedule was eventually (and quickly) going to be something it wasn’t when they were all bidding, that some networks would have made much bigger bids to get the games?

But wasn’t it already set up where every team would play one TNF game a year?

As in, who cares…it’s the TNF game. Every team plays one, the season moves on.
It gets cut off but the schefter tweet says not every team is guaranteed a prime time game

so now if they can put teams twice, and some teams don't get a prime time game at all. Amazon is going to push hard for double cowboys, chiefs, Bills etc.

Wouldn’t it be plausible, that if every network knew the TNF schedule was eventually (and quickly) going to be something it wasn’t when they were all bidding, that some networks would have made much bigger bids to get the games?
Also may explain why the guy who owns TNF games didnt even bid to own the team everyone has assumed he was gonna buy, which would likely have caused issues with them keeping TNF

I still dont get why they just didnt add another bye week instead of 17th game

Then use 1 bye to give to every team before they play Thursday

So their schedule would go

Sunday game
Off for 10 days
TNF
Off for 9 days
Sunday game

TV money would still have gone up because the extra bye artificially creates an extra week, even if there arent more games they are spread out more

It gets cut off but the schefter tweet says not every team is guaranteed a prime time game

so now if they can put teams twice, and some teams don't get a prime time game at all. Amazon is going to push hard for double cowboys, chiefs, Bills etc.

TNF being accepted as a “prime time game” is exactly the issue many have with it.

Cowboys/Lions the Thursday night after Thanksgiving seems like it would be a no brainer. They both get a full week of practice and both should be in contention in their division. So, it probably won't happen.

Other Dallas TNF game would then be a road game, probably either at the Giants or Miami around week 4.

I'm looking from Dallas at Philly to be a mid-season SNF game. Seattle at Dallas to be an early season SNF game. Dallas/Buffalo or Dallas/Chargers on MNF. So many attractive national games available this year.

Last edited:
Cowboys/Lions the Thursday night after Thanksgiving seems like it would be a no brainer. They both get a full week of practice and both should be in contention in their division. So, it probably won't happen.

Other Dallas TNF game would then be a road game, probably either at the Giants or Miami around week 4.

I'm looking from Dallas at Philly to be a mid-season SNF game. Seattle at Dallas to be an early season SNF game. Dallas/Buffalo or Dallas/Chargers on MNF. So many attractive national games available this year.
Does Thanksgiving Day (Detroit n Dallas) count as one of the two?

If black Friday game isnt steez or raiders home game what are we doing

Should play each other whenever it's on schedule for the year that day as well

Why are we assuming Dallas would play twice on TNF? Every team won’t be doing it, seems like they wouldn’t punish a team like Dallas with the extra TNF game, especially seeing as how they play on Thanksgiving as well.

Why are we assuming Dallas would play twice on TNF? Every team won’t be doing it, seems like they wouldn’t punish a team like Dallas with the extra TNF game, especially seeing as how they play on Thanksgiving as well.
Two reasons: 1) Ratings. 2) Ratings.

But I agree it's an extra burden. That's why I think they play they Thur night after Thanksgiving. The full week between games lessens the burden.

Lions have some fun tests on the road this year..

Baltimore
Kansas City
La Chargers
Dallas

Add in southern stops vs NOLA and Tampa to the division opponents as well.

This feels like a 7-1 home team and 3-6 road kinda team.

Back to those first 4 road games... I'd expect that 2 of those are some sort of primetime.

$$$$$$$$$

Bezos is paying over 50 million a game every year

I'd be shocked if Thursday isnt loaded, especially after ratings were softer than expected last year with the switch to streaming

YouTube pays double what amazon is paying but they get every non prime time game for Sunday ticket

On NFL Network, how many of those Thursday games do they get? Is that Thanksgiving night and Amazon just slides into the Friday game?

Whole thing between agreements is confusing
Thanksgiving never been part of the thursday deals

Black Friday game is amazon though yes

Thanksgiving never been part of the thursday deals

Black Friday game is amazon though yes
So that's the Thanksgiving night game I guess which is great

Assume even with all the rights stuff going on that Detroit and Dallas still will both get home Thanksgiving games

So that's the Thanksgiving night game I guess which is great

Assume even with all the rights stuff going on that Detroit and Dallas still will both get home Thanksgiving games
Ya, especially with this being first year both teams are expected to be good at the same time in decades

If they werent gonna change it during the Quincy carter/joey Harrington eras, they won't now

Back