Saturday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
OK fellas... First Saturday of the season. Can't believe the 2008 campaign is already here.

Locked in nine plays so far...

Took Utah plus 148 at Mishitgan. They've got the Carlos Huerta Award-winning 9th-year senior Brian Johnson under center once more, and he's healthy this time around.

Johnson and wideout Brent Casteel were each members on the unbeaten 2004 Utah team and they've both mentioned that the mentality is the same as that team had. This team clearly has more talent than Michigan, which is young and has an offense that wasn't recruited to run the spread. The Wolves will be better as the season goes along, but this is a bad time to catch an old and experienced bunch of BCS-hungry Utes.

Prediction: Utah 27, Michigan 20
The play: Utah plus 148

Tailing the board (or most of it, anyways) on Wyoming. I made the game much higher. And Solich has an AWFUL ATS record on road games he loses SU.

The play: Wyoming -11 for a medium bet

Western Michigan has a lot of the same weapons that Ball State had last year when it went to Nebraska and lost a game it shoulda won. Tim Hiller is a stellar quarterback if he's not turning the ball over. He threw for 367 yards, three scores and no picks in an upset at Iowa last season, and he threw 20 touchdowns and just three INT's in 2005 as a freshman. Jamarko Simmons and Brandon Ledbetter are NFL-type receivers.

With 10 seniors starting on defense, significantly better depth than a year ago and BCS-level talent in the secondary and at linebacker, a 9-win season looks pretty realistic. So does their chances of winning this game against a rebuilding Cornshitters unit.

Prediction: Western Michigan 34, Nebraska 28
The play: WMU plus 14.5 for a big bet

A tepid endorsement for Washington and do-it-all QB Jake Locker. If he is healthy, he will give the Ducks fits. This has the makings of a down-to-the-wire affair as well. Oregon has more talent, but is searching for the 'perfect' QB to run that offense that fit Dennis Dixon like a glove. Costa isn't it; he's out for the year.

Prediction: Oregon 27, Washington 19
The play: Washington plus 14 for a small bet

Jerry Kill can flat coach. This is his first I-A game but he's 104-57 in his career at three stops. A great story on him here...

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2008/08/24/sports/niu/doc48b0f0dc6219f912824205.txt

NIU returns nearly everyone, and everyone who is familiar with Phil The Thrill Steele knows how unlucky and injury-prone they were last fall. They should not be intimidated by the Metrodome.

With Ted Roof coaching the defense, the Gophers will certainly be better on that side, and NIU is preparing for the 4-2-5, the 3-4 and the 50. Can you really be serious about making a team that allowed 500-plus yards per game last year a 2-possession favorite over anyone?

Prediction: NIU 34, Minnesota 30
The play: NIU plus 8 for a medium bet

Hawaii catches Florida in a great spot (Miami on deck) and the Bows have been on the mainland for enough time to prepare. The line has gone up way too much and I expect it to be close for awhile before the Gators pull away behind a vanilla gameplan...

JUST CHECKED HG's THREAD.

No need to say more.

The play: Hawaii plus 35.5 for a medium bet

Lot of points to give a solid Illinois team fresh off a Rose Bowl appearance. The Zooker is always a dangerous dog. Especially now that Benn appears to overmatch the Mizzou defense and the Illini appear once again capable of trading points. Last year, the Tigers won 40-34 but the Illini were statistically better and this looks to go to the wire.

Prediction: Illinois 34, Missouri 31
The play: Illinois +9 for a medium bet.

Skip Holtz always seems to get the cash, particularly in the dog role. Last year in Blacksburg, the Hokies had the massacre to play for, yet ECU was as good or better for a good part of the game. This time, it's in a neutral field. There's no Tyrod Taylor to bail out Glennon, and the Pirates have been in the positive column in turnovers in each of Holtz's three years (not a coincidence at this point)... With vet Patrick Pinckney at the helm again, expect a shot at an outright win.

Prediction: VT 24, East Carolina 23
The play: ECU plus 10 for a medium bet

Florida Atlantic doing a little bit too much talking for my taste, but they should be able to back it up. The Owls return nearly everyone and Texas is laying a hefty price. With UT being able to fully focus on the Owls since UTEP blows, I am a tad concerned about The Pipe's comments. But Rusty Smith is a solid QB capable of dissecting the Longhorn secondary. This stays within earshot all the way.

Prediction: Texas 41, FAU 31
The play: FAU plus 24.5 for a medium bet.

GL fellas!

:cheers:

Rex, love ECU outright and Virginia is terrible so USC should crush in that game! I was wondering why no Dr. Bob posts? Noticed his plays were being blocked in the tout section at CTG and thought you might have the answers.

Good luck Rex; only lean against you is Missouri but I won't be on them anyway. I fully respect Zook as an underdog.

Question if you see this...any concern playing W Mich and NIU knowing they have the MAC opener against each other next week?

None at all, horses. I am drinking the KILL Kool-Aid.

And if Hiller is decent, I expect him to shred the Nebraska defense much like Davis did last year.

Back in the morning... GL fellas...

Against you on Mizzou-Illinois but I like the rest. I especially like the points you bring out on WMU, FAU and ECU. I haven't locked in any of those three yet but will likely make small plays on each.

Best of luck!

Not against ya anywhere...the starting RB and placekicker being out for Skip's bunch was enough to keep me off with the talent disparity..

GL on em bro..good stuff.

Good Luck Rex,

I have the same thoughts on Utah and The Illini, I just hope that Juice has developed his pass a little more...

GL

Whose Locker going to throw to? And will he ever hit them with his horrible completion %'s?

I realize he can move/run... but even with that they couldn't run the ball at all last year.

Oregon's line is top of the PAC10 IMO and top 5 in nation. Don't see Washington stopping them...

but GL

like the rest of your plays!

firesale on Wyoming. Wiseguys, squares, etc., doesn't matter... people can't get enough.

Store gonna need Ohio for a big figure :(

GL today fellas, let's get 'em...

firesale on Wyoming. Wiseguys, squares, etc., doesn't matter... people can't get enough.

Store gonna need Ohio for a big figure :(

GL today fellas, let's get 'em...

Yeah...thank God I had them in a ML parlay as a saver. GL tonight.

rex, you are a sick, sick man

almost hit the utah/UM score on the head.

shop must have had a big day with games like pitt/wyoming... if UCLA covers could be a monster day. BOL sir

Last edited:
Back