sandwiches

possibly both in their first game. buffalo hosting my alma mater utep. and temple gets a rematch with army.

I may be naive and wet behind the ear, but it seems that the Academy schools kind of run themselves in a sense. Air Force plugged in a new coach last year after Fisher Deberry (23 years at the helm) and they had one of their best seasons ever last year. He did leave the cupboard quite full as I expect them to have a major dropoff this year. I basically need to get the magazine and check this out. That commander in chief trophy is wide open if all three acadamies are going to stink this year.

I agree. Just got my athlon this morning and here is a qoute from in there that supports your position.....

"The well regarded Paul Johnson is off to Georgia Tech, but don't expect too many changes under niumatalolo, who will run the famed triple option..."

Niumatalolo has been groomed to take over this position and been with the team a long time. I know that I personally love paul johnson as a coach but this should be a pretty seemless transition. I am more concerned with the fact they lost some key OL guys , and they also look to be terrible in the front seven on defense. But army bad ?? really ?

Here is navy schedule
towson ....navy favored
at ball st .... ball st favored
at duke ......navy favored
rutgers ......rutgers favored
at wake .....wake favored
at air force ...???? not sure but with air force only having 1 win vs an fcs school i would think navy might be favored
pittsburgh pitt favored
smu ............navy favored
temple ........navy favored
notre dame ....notre dame favored
at northern illy .... navy favored
army ................navy favored

so i really dont see how the scheduling can make one think that army finishes with a better record than navy either. of course i could be wrong about who is favored too.

jpicks is generally right about navy and generally wrong about the mighty utah state aggies.

I just checked it and it worked..the video doesn't start until 5 seconds into the video.

Guess i will do the big east now.

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Cincinnati:

Nov 29th vs. Syracuse - between a home game with revenge vs. Pittsburgh and a trip to Hawaii. (post 6)

west virginia
One spot that i consider a pretty big sandwich.
nov 1 at connecticut -- The week before mountaineers host Auburn and the week after the mountaineers host cincinnati. With UCONN successful season last year some may say they dont look past them at all but they won 66-21 at home to uconn last year. They might take them lightly here and uconn will remember that game.

nov 22 at louisville -- Have to bring this game up. They will actually be coming off of a bye after hosting cincy but the following game is at pittsburgh. You have to think that is the look-ahead of the century for West Virginia. Just felt compelled to point out that spot even though it really isn't a sandwich

south florida
no sandwiches. All relevant spots have a bye week included.
the bad spot will be oct 30 at cincy. After road game on the 25th at louisville , they have short week and travel again to cincy.

pittsburgh
sept 27 at syracuse -- preceded by home to iowa and followed by at usf.

rutgers
Well this one is tough to figure out. here is their oct schedule

oct 4 at west virginia -- rutgers seeks revenge ( 3-31 )
oct 11 at cincy ---------- rutgers seeks revenge ( 23 -28 )
oct 18 connecticut -------rutgers seeks revenge ( 19-38 )
oct 25 at pittsburgh ------ pitt seeks revenge ( 20 -16 )

Connecticut
sept 19 baylor -- preceded by home revenge game vs virginia and followed by conference opener at lousiville --the famous fair catch rematch for cardinals.

oct 25 cincy -- preceded by rutgers and followed by west by god virginia. cincy will also be entering this game off a bye week. By this point peoplemight have figured out that cincy is a decent team though.

louisville
most will think the nov 1 syracuse game applies but revenge game for louisville after embarrassing loss last year.

nov 14 cincy -- preceded by pitt and followed by west by god virginia. Schools dont like each other much though. hard to see a much of a lookahead or letdown. compelled to mention it though, decide for yourself.

syracuse
roflmao

That's how i see the Deli store as far as the big east is concerned

I think were missing some, so I'll try to get to the rest:

WAC

Boise St.

- September 13th, vs. Bowling Green - they have a bye week before this game, but it is a lookahead spot with a trip to Oregon the next week. Boise St. always looks forward to games against big time competition, so BG could be a potential problem.

- October 11th, at Southern Miss - lookahead spot as they have a revenge home game against Hawaii six days after.

Fresno St.

- Spetember 20th, @Toledo - Very dangerous game here in my opinion. They get Wisconsin @home on the 13th, and they travel to UCLA on the 27th. Pat Hill loves games against the big name teams, but I can't imagine he'll be too up for the Rockets.

Nevada

- October 18th, vs. Utah St. - sandwich/lookahead here as they have NMSU on the 11th and then travel to Hawaii on the 25th.

- November 15th, vs. San Jose St. - Between a trip to Fresno St and a home date against Boise St.

Hawaii

- October 11th, vs. Louisiana Tech - Between trips to Fresno St. and Boise St. La. Tech should have beat them as 4-TD dogs in Ruston last year, and I'm sure the returning players will remember that game.

- November 1st, @Utah St. - Between a home date with Nevada and a trip to New Mexico St. Probably a minor sandwich spot, but Utah St. only lost by 15 as 39.5 favorites in Hawaii last year, so it could be a dangerous spot.

New Mexico St.

- Spetember 20th, @UTEP - Between a trip to Nebraska and a revenge rivalry game at home against New Mexico.

San Jose St.

- Spetember 13th, San Diego St. - Before this game, they travel to Nebraska. They follow this game with trips to Stanford and Hawaii.

Louisiana Tech

- Nothing. Probably getting to the point where the team isn't good enough to overlook a team anyway.

Idaho

- Sandwiches don't apply.

Utah St.

- Sandwiches don't apply. However, in order to placate VK, I'll say that October 11th @San Jose St. (between Nevada and Fresno St) is a possible minor sandwich.

Last edited:
That Ruston LA to Hawaii trip is one of the longest in college football that a team makes. One should pay attention to when LaTech plans to arrive in Hawaii.

MAC

Central Michigan

- Spetember 13th, @Ohio - Tricky one here, as it is a conference game between two non-conference games, but it still applies. They'll get beat up at Georgis the week before, then they have a revenge date @Purdue the week after Ohio.

- October 25, @Toledo - Minor sandwich between Western Michigan and a trip to Indiana.

Western Michigan

- Spetember 13th, @Idaho - This is basically a dead spot as they go to Idaho for some reason. They start at Nebraska and then they have a home conference game against Northern Illinois. Can't see them being up for this game.

- November 15th, vs. Toledo - Between a neutral field game against Illinois (at Ford Field?) and a trip to Ball St.

Ball St.

- Didn't see much here. They travel to Akron between Navy and a trip to Indiana (possible revenge), but that might be a stretch.

Northern Illinois

- Didn't see anything here either.

Toledo

- September 13th, @Eastern Michigan - Between games @Arizona and a home game against Fresno St. (a great spot for them, by the way). EMU also has revenge as Toledo torched them by 24 last year.

- September 27th, vs. Florida International - Between a home game against Fresno St. and a homecoming game against Ball St. (BSU beat them by 21 last season).

- October 18th, @Northern Illinois - This could be my favorite sandwich spot of the year. This is between a trip to the Big House and a home game against Central Michigan. Toledo put up 70 on NIU last season (a 70-21 win). This is also Northern Illinois' homecoming game and I'm sure that their 21 returning starters will want to make good on that debacle.

Eastern Michigan

- September 13th, vs. Toledo - probably a minor sandwich given the team, but it qualifies as it comes between trip to Michigan St. and Maryland.

Bowling Green

- Spetember 6th, @Minnesota - Between trips to Pittsburgh and Boise St. Minny has revenge here as well as BG beat the Gophers @Minny as 14 point dogs last season.

Miami OH

- Nothing strikes me here.

Kent St.

- Nothing.

Buffalo

- September 13th, vs. Temple - Between trips to Pittsburgh and Missouri. Temple has revenge as Buffalo whipped them 42-7 last year. Pretty sure the Owls were my favorite bet of the week there.

- October 18th, vs. Army - Probably a stretch, especially as it is homecoming, but it is a weak non-conference foe sandwiched between two conference games (Western Mich, @Ohio).

Temple

- They probably don't qualify. Buffalo comes between Connecticut and a trip to Penn St., but I doubt they forget the drubbing Buffalo handed them last season.

Ohio

- Probably don't qualify. Nothing much there anyway.

Akron

- Same as above.

Agreed ETG - Hawaii shouldn't struggle, but it's simply a game where the schedule doesn't favor them.

Sun Belt

Florida Atlantic

- September 6th, vs. UAB - Between trips to Texas and Michigan St. I would really keep an eye on this if they give Texas a run for their money in week 1.

Troy

- Very tough non-conf with trips to LSU, Okla. St., and Ohio St., but no true sandwich spots.

Louisiana-Monroe

- September 20th, @Tulane - Just a possible dead spot in my opinion. They start with @Auburn, @Arky, and Alabama A&M. This will be their 3rd road game in four games and this might not mean much to them as the conference schedule is on the horizon.

Louisiana-Lafayette

- September 20th, Kent St. - The Golden flashes are the better team, but this comes between trips to Illinois and Kansas St.

- October 11th, @North Texas - Dead spot as it is their 5th road game in six games.

Arkansas St.

- November 29th, @North Texas - Between games against the Sun Belt contenders: Florida Atlantic on the 22nd (at home) and @Troy on December 6th.

Middle Tennessee St.

- September 20th, @Arkansas St. - Between a trip to Kentucky and a Tuesday game against Florida Atlantic. Arky St. has revenge after the Blue Raiders beat them by 17 last year.

North Texas

- Doesn't apply.

Florida International

- Doesn't apply.

Conference USA

Tulsa

- October 26th, vs. Central Florida - Probably a minor sandwich between UTEP and a trip to Arkansas.

- November 22nd, vs. Tulane - Another minor hiccup between trips to Houston and Marshall.

SMU

- September 25th, @Tulane - Between a home game against TCU and and trip to Central Florida. It is also a short turnaround. It is a Thursday game just five days after the TCU battle.

UTEP

- August 28th, @Buffalo - Lookahead as a home date with Texas awaits.

- November 8th, @Louisiana-Lafayette - annoying non-conference game that likely means more to the opponent. Between conference foes Rice and SMU.

- November 22nd, @Houston - Between SMU and a trip to East Carolina. Both should be contenders in conference.

Houston

- September 13th, vs. Air Force - Between trips to Oklahoma St. and Colorado St.

Rice

- Septembet 27th, vs. North Texas - O/U here should be 110. Between trips to Texas and Tulsa. Also the last game before the bulk of the conference schedule.

Tulane

- Nope.

East Carolina

- September 13th, @Tulane - This will a pain in the ass for ECU. It's a sandwich/hangover/lookahead spot all rolled into one. Leading up to this game, they have a neutral game against Va Tech and a home date with West Virginia. After Tulane, they travel to NC State and have a home game against Houston.

Central Florida

- Nothing much here. They do have two conference games (@UTEP, vs. SMU) between trips to Boston College and Miami FL.

Marshall

- Nothing. Ridiculous non-conference sched should prepare them for conference play.

Memphis

- September 6th, vs. Rice - between trips to Mississippi (revenge) and Marshall.

Southern Mississippi

- September 13th, @Arkansas St. - Between a trip to Auburn and a home game against Marshall.

- October 18th, @Rice - Between Boise St. and a trip to Memphis.

UAB

- Nope.

great fuckin topic. godamn god cant want till cfb kicks tha fuck off

Wow what a job guys. I really need to start getting into this now. With this group of guys no doubt CTG will be the place to go for all College football stuff on the whole web this year. Ill start reading some shit and start conference breakdowns in a bit. Big 10 will come first though since its the best conference in the land:cheers:

It is not so much a sandwich as it is a game I will be looking to bet: Bama laying the pts to Tulane on Sept 6 in Tuscaloosa. This will be Tulane's opener, and Bama should be coming home after a loss to Clemson in Atlanta. Bama will want to pacify the home crowd by winning big over a weak Green Wave squad. Matt Forte was Tulane's offense last yr, and now that Forte is filling in for DUI-ridden Benson in Chicago, Tulane could struggle to produce offensively.

Bama laying the wood in Week 2.

Question: Is there a stat or study out there on how many favorites cover in perceived "sandwich" games?

---Lately when I've gone with the dog thinking its a "sandwich," the fav covers. So maybe we are overthinking this sometimes when sandwich games don't always exist.

I think it depends on the teams mental toughness and leadership if they cover in a sandwich spot.

well i will look back on the sec last year as far as sandwixhes and look. i am not taking the time right now to check bye weeks though so some of this could be off a tad.

Wow , atleast with sec you seem to be right ... will check some more of these later in other conferences ... SEC favorites in sandwich games went 10-8-0 vs the number last year. surprising. Again i didnt look at bye weeks at all and there are some games that some people consider sandwiches that others dont.

florida 2007 sandwiches ( 2-1 )
-23 at mississippi won by 6
-14.5 home to vandy won by 27
-35 home to florida atlantic won by 39

georgis 2007 sandwiches ( 1-2 )
-15.5 ole miss won by 28
-7 at vanderbilt won by 3
-15 home to troy won by 10

south carolina 2007 sandwiches (0-1 )
-13.5 home to vanderbilt lost by 11

tennessee 2007 sandwiches ( 4-1 ) wow. maybe fulmer doesnt suck.
-11 home to s mississippi won by 20
-20 home to ark state won by 21
-7 at miss st won by 12
-28 home to ull won by 52
-11.5 home to vandy won by 1

kentcuky 2007 sandwiches
i dont think they really qualified

vanderbilt 2007 sandwiches
i dont think they really qualified

auburn 2007 sandwiches ( 1-1 )
-8 home to vandy won by 28
-18 home ti ole miss won by 14

lsu 2007 sandwiches (1-1)
-41 home to mtsu won by 44
-41 at tulane won by 25

alabama 2007 sandwiches ( 0-1 )
-24.5 home to ulm lost by 7

ole miss

doesnt qualify

miss state
doesnt qualify

arkansas razorbacks 2007 sandwiches ( 1-0 )
-13 home miss st won by 14

hmmmmmmm

running total is 10-8 carried over from post 71

big ten sandwiches in 2007 ( 1-7 ) thats more of what we should expect. will continue with other major conferences and schools.

ohio state ( 0-1 ) ???
-15 illinois lost by 7 illini might have been too good to be overlooked but since it was at michigan next i added it. what an easy schedule last year lol.

penn state ( 0-2 )
-33.5 home to buffalo won by 21
-7 at indiana won by 5

wisconsin
dont think they had any

iowa ( 0-1 )
-10 home to indiana lost by 18

michigan ( 1-1 )
-23.5 home to minnesota won by 24
-2 at wisconsin lost by 16. again is this a true sandwich ?? instate mich st rival before and ohio state after ... but wiscy is hard to overlook. i considered it a sandwich.

illinois ( 0-1 )
-4.5 at iowa lost by 4

michigan state ( 0-1 )
-3 at iowa lost by 7

northwestern
no games that qualify

purdue
no games that qualify

minnesota
team doesnt qualify

indiana
no games that qualify

running total is 11-15 thru the SEC and Big Ten .

running total from post 72 is 11-15 , all sandwiches are subjective. keep that in mind.

big 12 2007 sandwiches ( 4-4 )

oklahoma ( 0-2 )
-30 at iowa state won by 10
-38 home to baylor won by 31

texas tech
they had none

texas
they had none

okie st ( 1-0 )
-14 at baylor won by 31

TAMU ( 1-0 )
-16.5 at baylor won by 24

baylor
team doesnt qualify

missouri ( 0-1 )
-28.5 home to iowa state won by 14

nebraska
no games qualified

kansas ( 2-0 )
-27 home to baylor won by 48 ( think i had baylor that game.soh )
-27.5 home to iowa state won by 38

kansas st
no games qualified

colorado ( 0-1 )
-3 at iowa state lost by 3 ( think i had colorado ... shit blew a 21-3 halftime lead .. bastiges. )

iowa st
team doesnt qualify

favorites in sandwiches running 2007 total is 15-19 thru sec , bigten and big12

Last edited:
running total from post 73 is 15-19 thru sec , bigten , big12

pac 10 2007 sandwiches ( 1-5 )

usc
-41 home to stanford LOST by 1

CAL ( 0-3 )
-14 home oregon state lost by 3
-14.5 home wash st won by 3
-7 at washington lost by 14

oregon
no games qualified

arizona st lucky fucks
no games qualified ( did any team catch as many good bounces as this team? )

arizona ( 0-1 )
-13 home to stanford lost by 1

oregon st ( 1-0 )
-13 home to stanford won by 17

ucla ( 0-1 )
-6.5 at wash st lost by 20

washington
no games qualify

stanford
team doesnt qualify

washington st
no games qualify

favorites in sandwich spots were 16-24 ats so far last year thru sec , bigten , pacten and bigtwelve

ok carryover from post 74 is 16-24 ats for favorites in sandwich spots in 2007 , thru sec , bigten , pacten and bigtwelve.

big east ( 6-6 )

west virginia ( 1-0 )
-24 east carolina won by 41

usf ( 2-2 )
-12.5 n carolina won by 27
-17 at flor atl won by 12
-4.5 at uconn lost by 7
-16.5 at syracuse won by 31

pittsburgh ( 0-2 )
-8.5 home to uconn lost by 20
-13 home to the cuse won by 3

rutgers ( 1-0 )
-17 at syracuse won by 24

louisville ( 0-2 )
-37 home to the cuse lost by 3
-14.5 home to utah lost by 9

cincy
dont think any of the games apply , maybe the uconn game which they covered.

uconn ( 2-0 )
-15 home to akron won by 34
-20 home to the cuse won by 23

syracuse
team does not apply

so ats so far sandwiched favorites are 22-30 thru bigten , sec , bigtwelve , pacten and bigeast. acc is next.

carryover from post 76 is 22-30 for favorites ats in sandwich spots in 2007 ...

ACC 2007 sandwiches ( 6-8-1 )

clemson ( 2-0 )
-16.5 home to central michigan won by 56
-16 at duke won by 37

florida state ( 2-2 )
--34.5 home to uab won by 10
- 18 home to ncstate won by 17
-17.5 home to duke won by 19
-7.5 home to maryland won by 8

wake forest ( 0-2 )
-20 home to army won by 11
-7.5 at duke won by 5

maryland
no games apply ( wow they had a tough schedule last year )

boston college ( 0-1 )
-6.5 at maryland lost by 7

ncsate
not applicable

virginia tech ( 1-0 )
-14.5 at duke won by 29

north carolina
not applicable

miami fl ( 0-3 )
-32.6 home to florida intl won by 14
-24 home to duke won by 10
-10.5 home to ncstate lost by 3

georgia tech ( 1-0-1 )
-24 home to army won y 24
-14 at duke won by 17

duke
team not applicable

so favorites that are sandwiched in the major conferences went 28-38-1 in 2007. Again , each person has their own definition of a sandwich so this could be slightly different depending on how you personally view such situations. I am not going to post the smaller conference good teams or notre dame since the info doesnt seem to be of interest to anyone other than me heheh.

winning percent if you blindly went against favorites within major conferences in sandwich spots is 57.6% for the year 2007.

Well, its different for different teams. but usually a spot against a lesser foe inbetween two superior foes or between rivals. For most really good teams michigan st for instance doesnt make a piece of bread for a sandwich but they do in fact make that bread for the wolverines. I also tried to keep certain things in mind .... for instance , uconn was far more likely to be the meat of a sandwich early in the year and far less likely to be that meat late in the season after they had posted all those wins.

For the purposes of the posts in this thread i didnt look at 2007 bye weeks. so personally , i dont really think a sandwich occurs when a bye week is inbetween the meat and the bread. But some might argue otherwise.

sandwich is basically tough and/or emotional opponent , followed by a lesser opponent or less emotional game , followed by another tough and/or emotional opponent.

got a question, anyone got an answer..

road teams who lost a close game or went to OT and lost, how did they fair the next week?

ex: SC losing in OT @ Tenn, then getting blown out of the water @ Arky the next week, especially in the 1st half.

give me a day or two and i will get you the game after ot ats for winners and losers of said games.

Back