Sanchez

hile75

CTG's ambassador of sexy
Will enter the nfl draft.

Decision was probably made pretty easy once Bradford said he was coming back.

Yeah, this was a no-brainer and doesn't hurt USC too much with Corp and Mustain to fight it out. Loser may transfer.

I think he'll be a better prospect than Stafford. Stafford has never impressed me. Highly recruited out of high school but just looks ugly in games.

he has 16 starts in college. 16!
serious question: has there been a qb in the last 15 years of the nfl draft with less than two full seasons of experience as a starter in college who got draftet on day 1 and who wasn't later called "a bust"?

As a lions fan I would rather take a chance on Sanchez than stafford (I actually would rather avoid a QB this year but they wont do it) Like has been said Stafford hasn't really impressed me at all and Sanchez's speed should help as he'll be running around in the backfield a lot avoiding the many Dlineman breaking through the line.

I think he will be the best QB out of this class. He basically has everything you ask for in a QB except for the experience. He showed up in big games he did play in at SC though so I would not be too worried about that

im just glad that noone is in here talking about how Freeman is gonna be the best of the bunch. I heard that on local radio the other day and I almost puked in my car

im just glad that noone is in here talking about how Freeman is gonna be the best of the bunch. I heard that on local radio the other day and I almost puked in my car

Freeman is like the 7th or 8th best QB in the Big XII.

Freeman is like the 7th or 8th best QB in the Big XII.

Yes, in the Big 12; at the NFL combines and the subsequent draft, he immediately moves ahead of reesing and daniels; with mccoy and bradford staying put, he's the 2nd QB out of the B12 drafted, behind Harrell and not even that is a lock...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Freeman is a better pro prospect then any QB in the Big 12 not named Sam Bradford.

Losing Sanchez is going to hurt the Trojans. Remember when he played green for Booty and what happened.

Mustain is going to be walking into a hornets nest at the Shoe.

And Mustain from what I hear is the QB that is going to take over not Corp.

Last edited:
Freeman is a better pro prospect then any QB in the Big 12 not named Sam Bradford.

Totally agree and I'm glad YOU said it because I didn't want to say it for fear of being blasted by all the Longhorn fans on this board.

Totally agree and I'm glad YOU said it because I didn't want to say it for fear of being blasted by all the Longhorn fans on this board.

I'm hoping you're taking Colt out of the equation on this one, Horn.

I personally think Reesing, Daniels, Harrell, and Freeman are not very good pro prospects. But what about Ganz? I think Ganz is better than Freeman and he graduated this year so he'll be in the mix.

Ganz is only 6'1", which from a prospect standpoint, puts him behind Freeman immediately.

Harrell is a mystery for me; tough call.

sorry, but mccoy wouldn't necessarily go ahead of freeman if they were both in the draft this year.

I'm hoping you're taking Colt out of the equation on this one, Horn.

I personally think Reesing, Daniels, Harrell, and Freeman are not very good pro prospects. But what about Ganz? I think Ganz is better than Freeman and he graduated this year so he'll be in the mix.

Freeman isn't a better college player then Mccoy because Mccoy runs the spread has a much better team, and coaching staff around him...so yes he is a better pro prospect then Mccoy.

Freeman has all the tools to be a big time player. He's 6-6 240 pounds, can run very well, and has a cannon for an arm. He fits in much better with the NFL style offenses then Mccoy.

Mccoy may be the next Jeff Garcia in the pros but if your a scout breaking down the two the clear choice is Freeman.

Joe Flacco got beat out by Tyler Palko and ended up at Deleware St.

He goes to the combine throws the ball 81 yards, shows ability, a high IQ, and gets drafted out of nowhere.

Now he is the greatest rookie playoff QB ever.

At the mid point of last college season noone would've said anything about Matt Ryan either.

Ganz is only 6'1", which from a prospect standpoint, puts him behind Freeman immediately.

Harrell is a mystery for me; tough call.

sorry, but mccoy wouldn't necessarily go ahead of freeman if they were both in the draft this year.

Look, I've got questions about McCoy's ability at the next level, but Freeman is fucking awful. He may have the physical ability in both frame and skills to go to the next level--I question the skills part--but even if he does, I question what is between the ears. The kid cannot put it together.

I mean, look at these stats:

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#633194"><td align="left">Stats Overview</td> <td colspan="10">Passing</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">YEAR</td><td> CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YPA</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2006</td> <td>140</td> <td>270</td> <td>1780</td> <td>51.9</td> <td>6.59</td> <td>80</td> <td>6</td> <td>15</td> <td>25</td> <td>103.45</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>316</td> <td>499</td> <td>3353</td> <td>63.3</td> <td>6.72</td> <td>68</td> <td>18</td> <td>11</td> <td>17</td> <td>127.26</td> </tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2008</td> <td>224</td> <td>382</td> <td>2945</td> <td>58.6</td> <td>7.71</td> <td>77</td> <td>20</td> <td>8</td> <td>15</td> <td>136.48</td></tr></tbody></table>

Honestly, I'm a little shocked at the 8 Ints this year. He threw 2 against L-ville and 3 against OU and Kansas. Also, 59% completion rate? Really? And less than 3000 yards passing.

Compared to Ganz:

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#fe0d04"><td align="left">Stats Overview</td> <td colspan="10">Passing</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">YEAR</td><td> CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YPA</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2006</td> <td>7</td> <td>13</td> <td>122</td> <td>53.8</td> <td>9.39</td> <td>31</td> <td>3</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>208.83</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>89</td> <td>152</td> <td>1435</td> <td>58.6</td> <td>9.44</td> <td>62</td> <td>16</td> <td>7</td> <td>5</td> <td>163.38</td> </tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2008</td> <td>285</td> <td>420</td> <td>3568</td> <td>67.9</td> <td>8.50</td> <td>69</td> <td>25</td> <td>11</td> <td>21</td> <td>153.62</td></tr></tbody></table>
Shit. Jerrod Johnson at A&M had just as good of a season.

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#6a3333"><td align="left">Stats Overview</td> <td colspan="10">Passing</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">YEAR</td><td> CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YPA</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>2</td> <td>7</td> <td>50</td> <td>28.6</td> <td>7.14</td> <td>33</td> <td>2</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>182.86</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2008</td> <td>194</td> <td>326</td> <td>2435</td> <td>59.5</td> <td>7.47</td> <td>62</td> <td>21</td> <td>10</td> <td>30</td> <td>137.37</td></tr></tbody></table>
I just can't give the kid any love.

rj, Put Freeman on Texas without Ron Prince as his coach and he puts up different numbers.

KSU is fuckin awful and he had nothing around him.

The kid was incredible in HS and wasted his college years by going to school there.

As a lions fan I would rather take a chance on Sanchez than stafford (I actually would rather avoid a QB this year but they wont do it) Like has been said Stafford hasn't really impressed me at all and Sanchez's speed should help as he'll be running around in the backfield a lot avoiding the many Dlineman breaking through the line.

I couldn't agree with you more orangemonk. They need to solidify so many holes they can't worry about a QB this year. Next year, yes!

I believe(pray?) they get a MLB and OL/DL in the 1st round.

I'm so depressed being a lions fan. father-in-law has season tix and I feel bad for the guy. I've told him for 5 years now that he can give them up but he loves the tailgating and time with the family. We've basically got to have blind faith at this point. :hang:

I've heard some reports about Mayhew having "disagreements" with Millen on previous draft days so hopefully this guy can get it done. :prayer

-old man Ford :down:

rj, Put Freeman on Texas without Ron Prince as his coach and he puts up different numbers.

KSU is fuckin awful and he had nothing around him.

The kid was incredible in HS and wasted his college years by going to school there.

I agree with you on all counts. But how much better would he be?

From seeing him the last two years, I've seen him make bad decision after bad decision. And the mistakes weren't due to a bad supporting cast, they were just him being dumb and making dumb mistakes.

I agree with you on all counts. But how much better would he be?

From seeing him the last two years, I've seen him make bad decision after bad decision. And the mistakes weren't due to a bad supporting cast, they were just him being dumb and making dumb mistakes.

You might be right bro. I have the same exact opinion of Stafford while others are really high on him.

That's one thing you just can't predict about the NFL QBs and that's what they got in between the ears when they step on the field.

i wish there was a way we could bet this, but if i was a GM i would take QBs from the lesser teams because i don't feel it's that hard to have success like Bradford has when you have a huge o-line and better athletes at all skill positions than almost every team you come up against.

...i like Stafford best, but i think Sanchez was VERY smart with this decision because he should be QB #2 and he won't have to fight McCoy, Bradford and Tebow next year

The stats you are posting RJ, are useless when determining how good an nfl prospect he is going to be.

Do you want me to post Brennan's stats vs Flacco's from last year to prove my point?

Mccoy's completion % doesn't mean shit (to me) since 50% of his passes are short hitches or slants that you or I could pretty much complete (well, not me since my passes would likely get tipped, lol). Every Kansas St game I saw this year, Freeman was running for his life...

yeah, I saw it; Petey said what was on his mind and I agree with him. Fifteen games is a joke...and none of them really had any pressure associated with them except maybe the 2nd half of the oregon st game this year.

In strong disagreement
Carroll reveals why he disagrees with Sanchez’s decision to turn pro early
0115msface.jpg

By Ben Malcolmson
USCRipsIt
PeteCarroll.com

After days of deliberation, Coach Pete Carroll and Mark Sanchez agreed to disagree.

But that definitely doesn’t mean Carroll is content with Sanchez’s decision to forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL Draft.

Carroll fleshed out his disagreement with Sanchez’s decision during a passionate exclusive interview with USCRipsIt about an hour after the quarterback’s announcement on Thursday morning.

“The facts are so strong against this decision,” Carroll said. “After analyzing all the information, the truth is there — he should’ve stayed for another year.”

Carroll cited a study that shows 62 percent of underclassmen quarterbacks who declare early for the Draft eventually don’t pan out in the NFL. He also pointed to Sanchez’s NFL Draft evaluation, which projected Sanchez as a second-round selection.

“Mark’s chance to increase his value and become the top player in college football next year would have been worth $10-$20 million or more — likely more,” Carroll said. “One more year of running a team is almost priceless, so he lost the chance to fully prepare himself and become the very best he could be before going to the NFL.

“That’s why there’s a 62 percent failure rate for underclassmen quarterbacks.”

During the press conference, Sanchez repeatedly referred to achieving a lifelong dream as to one of the reasons he made this decision.

“We have always been in full support of Mark pursuing his dream,” Carroll said, “he just should have postponed realizing his dream another 12 months.”

Carroll stressed that his advice to Sanchez throughout the last two weeks had the quarterback’s interests in mind, not his team’s.

“I’m trying to help him be the best he can be, and that would’ve been to stay in school another year and increase his value,” Carroll said. “The facts are there. And he knew all of it, but that’s what he wanted to do it, so we wish him the best.”

Carroll wasn’t alone in his disagreement.

“His family didn’t want it and everybody else told him he should’ve stayed,” Carroll said. “Also, he let go of the opportunity to affect the people around the university and the community, something that would’ve been unforgettable.”

Although he remained strong in his disagreement, Carroll emphasized that he still supports Sanchez and knows he “will always be a special member of the Trojan family.”

“Even though we disagree, I still support him and we’re going to try to help him in any way we can,” Carroll said. “It’s like a family member — you’re not going to stop loving him just because he makes a bad choice.

“Hopefully he’ll overcome the history of these decisions and the people’s opinions out there and becomes very successful.”

Pete Carroll usually gets what he wants. He has a higher winning percentage than any active coach in college football. Probably lands a higher percentage of the players he recruits than anyone in the country.

And recently, he's compiled an impressive track record convincing underclassman to stay at USC instead of entering the NFL draft.

This is why you mostly see Carroll smiling, laughing and jumping up and down during games and practices like an overzealous freshman stepping onto the field for the first time. Life is generally good when things go your way.

When they don't, however, you get the type of embarrassment that occurred during Mark Sanchez's press conference on Thursday when he announced he would forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

It should have been a happy occasion for Sanchez, who has spent four years at USC, will graduate in the spring with a degree in communications and set a Rose Bowl record by passing for 413 yards and four touchdowns in his last collegiate game.

Instead, Carroll used the occasion to rain on Sanchez's parade and tell anyone that leaving USC early is a big mistake.

"We don't see this decision the same," said Carroll. "Mark's going against the grain on this decision and he knows that. He knows coming out early is a tremendous challenge for a quarterback and the statistics don't back up that it will be easy the way he's going about it."

Sanchez, who made up his mind to leave school early on Tuesday, waited until Carroll returned from a Hawaiian vacation to make his decision official on Thursday. He wanted to tell Carroll in person and have him there when he announced the most important decision of his life. Judging from the way the tense press conference unfolded, he would have been better off simply issuing a statement and staying as far away from USC as possible.

It was easily one of the most awkward press conferences ever to announce a player's decision to go pro. After Sanchez, dressed in a suit, announced he would be entering the NFL draft to a silent Heritage Hall crowd, Carroll took the microphone and proceeded list the reasons Sanchez made the wrong decision for five or so minutes.

"I am disappointed in that the information that we have wasn't compelling enough to make it clear to him," said Carroll. "Our view of it is, and as you guys will see as you dig into this a little bit more, you'll see that these early-entry quarterbacks are less than 50-50 successful."

All the while, Sanchez sat five feet to Carroll's left, awkwardly smiling as his coach failed to fully support his decision. Watching Carroll list the statistics Sanchez had to overcome was like watching a best man giving a toast at a wedding and listing the reasons the marriage was doomed to fail instead of simply offering congratulations and well wishes.

After he spoke, Carroll, who also put a story on his Web site outlining why Sanchez made a bad decision, stood up and walked into the crowd as Sanchez took questions from reporters, apparently unable to even stand by his former quarterback in a physical sense as he had done with other players holding similar press conferences. Carroll then walked out the back of the room before Sanchez was even finished with his press conference.

Carroll may have just returned from Hawaii, but in that moment Sanchez was the one suddenly on an island, with no supporters outside of his father, Nick, standing nearby.

It was a sad display for the usually gregarious Carroll, who spoke of Sanchez as a statistic rather than a person and a player he's known for five years. If that's what Carroll has to say about Sanchez in front of the cameras, I'd hate to hear what he's going to say about him behind closed doors when NFL scouts and general managers start calling him.

It was understandable for Carroll to say whatever it took to get Sanchez to come back to school. Whatever he said to Taylor Mays amazingly kept him on campus for another year. But once Sanchez made his decision to go pro, Carroll should have respected his decision and saved his "50-50 failure" talk for another underclassman down the road.

The fact that he couldn't resist taking one last public shot at Sanchez's decision before leaving the press conference early says a lot about the kind of man Carroll is when things don't go his way. Luckily for him, those moments are few and far between.

selfish move by carroll imo, and he's wrong. you have a chance to go pro as the #1 or #2 qb taken, you do it. unless you come from a family that is already wealthy, or you get one helluva insurance policy. humiliating for sanchez. and fuck pete for getting mays to stay another year--which was also stupid. was hoping he was a cleveland brown.

The fucked up part was him getting up and leaving the conference. What a piss of shit.

In regards to Bradford turning pro supposedly the scouts were saying the seperation his WRs were getting and the space he had to throw the ball was the best they had ever seen in college football. Bradford's grade wasn't as high as the media and we thought on here according to NFL scouts.

Pete knows what he is talking about.

Look how much more effective and rich Leinhart is for coming back that extra year.

Agree on Pete being a piece of shat.

Even if Sanchez does mature over the next year he wouldve been in a draft with ten times the talent at QB than this draft will have in it.

The fucked up part was him getting up and leaving the conference. What a piss of shit.

pom pom went on the radio and claimed the reason he stormed out was cuz there was supposed to be a podium and instead they had a table set up

lmao

piece of shit is right

I disagree with Freeman being a good athlete. I think his mobility is average at best.

Yes its true that Bradford's receivers were never covered, but he still put the ball on the money each and every time. Accuracy translates, doesn't matter if there is a defender in the area or not. That guy is money and I would take him before Sanchez or Stafford.

That's why I compare him to Jason Campbell and why I think that Tavaris Jackson comparison ins't a good one at all...He's mobile enough..meaning, mobile in the pocket....he's not a statue, but he's far from a burner...he's a big kid...with a very live arm.

why we talking about sanchez so much?

How about we talk about ARAKNOID? He is going to dominate O lines boucning all over the place and making sacks

Matt Leinart was about the most accurate college QB to ever play; watch the 2nd half of the USC/Texas Rose Bowl and see all the tight places he had to fit the ball into and did. Matt Leinart is a bust as a pro.

I'm not calling for Bradford to be a bust by any means; but better than Stafford? C'MON!!! I KNOW Stafford can stand tall in the pocket, take a hit and deliver the ball. I think Bradford might get snapped in two if he had taken some of the hits I saw Stafford take this year.

Matt Leinart was about the most accurate college QB to ever play; watch the 2nd half of the USC/Texas Rose Bowl and see all the tight places he had to fit the ball into and did. Matt Leinart is a bust as a pro.

I'm not calling for Bradford to be a bust by any means; but better than Stafford? C'MON!!! I KNOW Stafford can stand tall in the pocket, take a hit and deliver the ball. I think Bradford might get snapped in two if he had taken some of the hits I saw Stafford take this year.

:smiley_acbe:

I've held off on saying this for quite some time because I know people will look at me crazy.

Count me as a person who is not impressed with Bradford

My problem with Stafford is competiveness.....I see a QB that see's some adversity and folds more times than I want...esp with the first pick and franchise money you'll be paying him...we saw this in the game vs FLA...we saw this in the game vs Bama...we saw in flashes early his Junior year...we saw a kid that could give two shits the first half vs Mich St in the Capital One Bowl...he has all the tools...Kiper said earlier this year he'll step into the NFL and there won't be one arm there his equal..not Cutler's, not anyone's.....his individual workouts will be amazing...but I have huge issues getting those few times he's faced adversity and I wouldn't like those images...esp with that check amount..

I don't see those issues with Sanchez...yes, we have way less content to examine..but look at the Oreg St game...a USC team saw a buzzsaw in the name of true frosh Jizzy Jizz...they fell behind I believe 28-7....You saw a QB take his team on his back and get em back in the game...he was leading...he has the tools too..he doesn't have the best arm in the league, but neither do 30 other QB's in the NFL...he's mobile in the pocket...this is what you want at this position in the NFL...you don't want Vince Young or someone else who ran the zone read in college and was in the shotgun his entire career...people always like to talk about reinventing the QB postion and mobility this and mobility that...that's not what you want..you want mobile in the pocket..when the blitz comes you want someone who makes that shuffle step east or west and delivers the ball..you find someone mobile enough to pickup that 3rd and 7 when all the underneath routes have cleared and taken the dropping LB's worth them and he picks it up with his feet, that's even better and added bonus...Flacco does this...another knotch up the ladder...he hurts his plant knee a few weeks prior to the season and he's still on the field in a week...he shows toughness and resolve...the same thing that will hold Beanie Wells back should be taken as a positive for Sanchez..toughness at the QB position is imperative at the next level..physical and mental...

Pete Carroll says he has a great workout...the head coach at UDub and former OC of USC (Sarkiscian, sp uh) says he's got the best work ethic and drive of any player he's ever coached....this is music to my ears.

You want him in a position like KC...I don't want him starting day 1 like Matt Ryan..he was a three year starter...Sanchez isn't ready from reading a defense in that manner not yet...the Lions would prolly want him to start and that's not a good postion for him...you want him on the sidelines one year like Carson Palmer...Kitna was great for him but he can't stay healthy enough now...the Lions will have him on the field...KC has a serviceable guy there..he played OK...they were in every game....but he's not star quality and you aren't winning playoff games with him...you had a great draft last year...with steals at DT and OL...now you get the QB..improve a couple other spots...you let him learn a year...Pioli puts other things in place...2010 would be perfect for him...Palmer sat a year, started 2nd year went 8-8, 11-5 in his third year....we've seen it happen.

Pete knows what he is talking about.

Look how much more effective and rich Leinhart is for coming back that extra year.

Agree on Pete being a piece of shat.

Even if Sanchez does mature over the next year he wouldve been in a draft with ten times the talent at QB than this draft will have in it.

Yup. If Leinart comes out early he's the #1 choice by SF instead of Alex Smith and he gets to stay in his home state. Cost him a couple of million.

I'm not sold on Stafford between the ears. He has made some stupid decisions in big games.

Bradford's first win against a big name opponent will be his first. He didn't look so hot in games he got pressured the last two years which were pretty rare.

That being said I would still go:

1. Bradford
2. Stafford
3. Sanchez

Just don't think these guys should be getting taken in the top 5.

Just for the record, I do like Stafford, and I like him better than Sanchez. I remember Bradford being bad or sub-par against Colorado two years ago and not looking too good against KSU this year, but other than those two I don't think he has had many games where he didn't look good or played real badly. Contrasted with Stafford where I can think of many times when he looked like absolute dog shit. And I don't just mean against Florida or Tennessee that would be unfair, but he always struggled with South Carolina and somehow Vanderbilt. He wasn't very good against Arizona State this year either. Now you could say he faced better defenses than Bradford, but I could say he always had a productive rushing game whereas Bradford is responsible for opening up the run. I think he is probably the top QB available in April's draft, but I wouldn't take him in the top 10.

Pete Carroll says he has a great workout...the head coach at UDub and former OC of USC (Sarkiscian, sp uh) says he's got the best work ethic and drive of any player he's ever coached....this is music to my ears.

Does anybody else here think Sarkisian gave Sanchez an immediate thumbs up to go pro, so he doesn't have to face him next year?

Back