Sabathia traded to Brewers

dstang26

Pretty much a regular
C.C. sweepstakes is over!

1250 sports radio in Milwaukee just reported that the Indians have announced they will be holding a press conference on their day off tomorrow. It is also confirmed that AAA outfielder Matt La Porta has been scratched from the lineup tonight along with A 3B Tyler Green (both Brewers farm system players who Indians had been reported to covet)

Additional info is that Brewers GM Doug Melvan gave the Indians a Sunday deadline otherwise La Porta would be pulled off the board as this will allow C.C. to pitch on normal rest on Tuesday and then again on Sunday giving the Brewers two starts before the break...

Good, get him out of the AL Central away from the white sox and put him in the NL Central so he can own the cubbies. This couldnt have worked out better.

Just got my tickets for Tuesdays game. and for celebration of getting CC
:line:

Yeah its no doubt on that one. Coming to Milwaukee either tonight/tommorow and will make his scheduled start Tuesday.

Got 5 in the LF bleachers earlier. Game should be rockin. Cant wait.

<small>MILWAUKEE (TICKER) </small>—The Milwaukee Brewers just made themselves legitimate contenders in the National League Central.
According to published reports, the Cleveland Indians on Sunday traded reigning American League Cy Young Award winner C.C. Sabathia to the Brewers for a package that includes top prospect Matt LaPorta.
Sabathia could be on the mound for Milwaukee as soon as Tuesday against the Colorado Rockies, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported. The deal is contingent upon paperwork being finalized and medical reports being exchanged.
The left-handed Sabathia will become a free agent at the end of the season and already had turned down a lucrative contract extension to stay in Cleveland. it is believed he will test the market at the end of the season, meaning he may just be a three-month rental for the Brewers.

Sabathia is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA this season, but is 6-5 with a 2.16 mark since April 22. As the AL’s top pitcher in 2007, the hefty went 19-7 with a 3.21 ERA while pitching a league-high 241 innings.
Fifteen days from his 28th birthday, Sabathia will team with current ace Ben Sheets to give the Brewers perhaps the best 1-2 punch of any team in the National League, rivaling Arizona’s duo of Brandon Webb and Dan Haren.
Sabathia could be the last piece to the puzzle for Milwaukee (49-39), which has won five of its last six games and leads the wild card race while sitting 3.5 games behind the Chicago Cubs (53-36) in the Central.

apparently the trade is for real

Just read in the Sentinel Sabathia has been traded to the Brewers. Already liked them for tomorrow. Have to think this really pumps them up.

I've been hearing that Green is NOT involved in the trade.

Latest I heard was LaPorta, Zach Jackson, and a PTBNL - with that being Lucroy who was the Brewers 3rd round pick in 2007 and is a catcher. I'd be ecstatic if Green wasn't part of the deal, but still trying to find more on it. I need to get some cheap tickets for Tuesday night. Standing room or something.

This coming from Taylor Green's agent... "Green's name has popped up several times however he is at home right now and has been since the game ended and nobody has contacted him. I doubt he is moved at this point but you never know." I've also read that Michael Brantley is 100% NOT in the deal and Lorenzo Cain was called up to AA to replace LaPorta. Best guess is Lucroy and (shrug)... Gillespie maybe...

Rob Bryson is a possibility along with Zach Jackson and LaPorta... if that was the trade I'd be thrilled... Losing a future All Star like LaPorta hurts, but I trust Jack Z to get two more good players next year, LaPorta is blocked, and need to make a run for it while we can.

WOOHOO!

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/breaking_news/294883

Brewers: Sabathia deal set; LaPorta, Jackson, Bryson to Indians
By VIC FEUERHERD
608-252-6175
vfeuerherd@madison.com
MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers have agreed to acquire left-hander C.C. Sabathia from the Cleveland Indians, a source familiar with the discussions said Sunday night.
The Brewers will give up outfielder Matt LaPorta, left-hander Zach Jackson, right-hander Rob Bryson and a player to be determined in the deal.
Sabathia, a 6-foot-7, 290-pounder who turns 28 next week, is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA this season. He was last year's American League Cy Young Award winner.

LaPorta is hitting .288 with 20 home runs and 66 RBIs for Class AA Huntsville. Jackson is 1-5 with a 7.85 ERA for Class AAA Nashville, while Bryson is 3-2 with a 4.25 ERA for Class A West Virginia.

Just got 15 dollar ones off the Brewers website Fondy. Try that

Honestly this could be one of the biggest steals this decade if true. We get to keep Gamel, Brantley, Escobar, Salome, AND Green? Are you serious

trx-smly16.gif

Get your money ready. The guy wont lose a game the remainder of the reg season.

Finally - pitching for a team that hits a little. Tribe injuries, and banned steriods??? - killed Cleveland!

Honestly this could be one of the biggest steals this decade if true. We get to keep Gamel, Brantley, Escobar, Salome, AND Green? Are you serious

Don't forget Cain.

There is going to be a PTBNL along with the previous mentioned 3... someone who signed after July 6th 2007 from the 2007 draft would be the best guess or someone on the DL.

Just read this as well from TH.
Jackson, Bryson included in trade

By Tom Haudricourt

Sunday, Jul 6 2008, 09:19 PM

A source familiar with the Brewers' trade for Cleveland lefty C.C. Sabathia just told me that the other players going to the Indians with Matt LaPorta are minor-league pitchers Zach Jackson and Rob Bryson and a fourth player, perhaps minor-league third baseman Taylor Green.
The fourth player currently is listed as "to be named later" but it is believed the Indians want to look more at Green, with the idea of moving him to second base.
Jackson, who was up briefly with the Brewers this season, is 1-5 with a 7.85 ERA at Class AAA Nashville in 22 appearances (six starts).
Bryson is pitching at Class A West Virginia, where he is 3-2 with a 4.25 ERA in 22 outings (five starts).
If Green indeed is the fourth player, he is batting .298 with 10 homers and 54 RBI at Class A Brevard County.

25 minutes ago from Taylor Green's agent " Taylor Green HAS NOT BEEN TRADED. Not yet at least, it's only speculation and he has not heard from the team."

Congrats Milwaukee fans. I was hoping he'd end up in Philadelphia, but fully realized that if Milwaukee wanted him, they'd get him.

I don't know if this guy is a genius or an idiot for making all of this public, regardless I have a lot of respect for him... Agent39 is an agent of about 15-25 Brewer minor leaguers has this blog going... This is his newest installment.

http://39ontheline.blogspot.com/
Without You I'm Nothing

This was without a doubt one of the most annoying and frustrating days I have ever had in my entire career. The sad part is, if the word sad is even applicable here, is that this day is going to drag into tomorrow and possibly even longer. I literally spent the whole F**king day on the phone from 10 am until now (11:45 pm). I have talked to every media outlet alive and probably was the primary source on many stories I havent even read. I am beyond annoyed but whatever life goes on. This has gone on all weekend to. For those not in the know, the Brewers evidently have traded for CC Sabathia and have included 3 or 4 prospects depending on who you ask. I knew about all this on thursday and heard rumors that a few of my clients could be involved in the trade. Lorenzo Cain, who I thought was going to get traded ended up getting promoted. That happened pretty early today so his suspense ended some 7 hours ago. The next client I thought could get dealt was Michael Brantley, but I was told by good sources that I trust that he was not ever up for discussion so problem solved there. Luis Pena's name came up in conversation a few times but I didnt think there was anyway the brewers would get rid of a guy whose rights they would control for some time. Now comes the annoying part........

Taylor Green. An absolutely special baseball player and even better person has been the focal point of almost 99 percent of the trade rumors. Taylor has not been informed he has been traded nor has he been informed that he is any part of a pending transaction. What does all that mean? Nothing, because if the Brewers drop the PTBNL bomb anyone can go including Taylor. I know everyone in the game is an adult and I know it's a business but you would think maybe someone in the entire organization could let Taylor know what his status is instead of letting him just float in the wind. I know what everyone is doing and what their reasons are but it still doesnt make it any easier on the player.

I cannot wait until this is all situated and everyone ends up where they are supposed to be. I think this is a bold move for the Brewers franchise but it sends a really good message to the fans that they are serious about winning this year. For the guys traded it certainly presents them with a great opportunity to get to the big leagues a little more quickly than they likely would have if they had stayed with the brewers.

So to recap---- Media rumors are usually false and tend to have one source per 50 outlets.

Taylor Green will be a superstar

Taylor Green is a Brewer as of right now

I'm tired and I am going to take a nyquil and listen to The Pixies, Placebo, Nirvana and watch fight club.

Oh yeah and I will keep my cell on so this hell of a day can continue til tomorrow and bleed into forever.

Keep fighting the good fight, at worst you will prevail

Mahalo

J

:shake:

Agreed, if these named players are all the screwers are going to have to give up to get CC, it will be, in essence, a MLB version of the pau gasol trade.

screwers building a solid rotation? finally giving sheets some support and McClung FINLLY coming around??? gonna be tough to beat.:new_shocked:
(still got the soup can and dave bush though)

Get your money ready. The guy wont lose a game the remainder of the reg season.

Finally - pitching for a team that hits a little. Tribe injuries, and banned steriods??? - killed Cleveland!

Don't know if he won't lose another regular season game, BUT I will be gambling on this man, since he finally has an offense. :cheers:

you screwer fans know your prospects better then we all do obviously,

so if theyre supposed to be superstars or chris davis's then maybe its somewhat fair.

seems like a excellent deal for the screw crew though IMO. if you all think otherwise then post it.

:36_11_6:
poor STEED

keep your head up bro! maybe youll wake up tomorrow and theyll throw borowski in the deal

:popcorn:

:36_11_6:
poor STEED

keep your head up bro! maybe youll wake up tomorrow and theyll throw borowski in the deal

:popcorn:

We cut him on Friday, ha...seriously. Best thing that has happen to that team all year.

holy fuck! youre right

i take some time off of bases for 3 days and im already missin shit!

about damn time they made kobayashi the closer, good shit.

you screwer fans know your prospects better then we all do obviously,

so if theyre supposed to be superstars or chris davis's then maybe its somewhat fair.

seems like a excellent deal for the screw crew though IMO. if you all think otherwise then post it.

Matt LaPorta at his worst is a Pat Burrell type of player. Big power, high onbase, decent amount of k's. He'll play 1st base or leftfield or DH. My opinion is LaPorta turns into an All Star player, may win a home run derby or two... belongs in the AL though, and won't be a game changing performer (think Adam Dunn/Pronk/etc)

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="540"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#000000" width="5%">1.</td> <td bgcolor="#001851" width="95%"> Matt LaPorta, of Born: Jan. 1, 1985B-T: R-RHt: 6-1Wt: 215</td></tr></tbody></table>
Background: The Brewers pulled the first surprise in the 2007 draft when they called out LaPorta's name with the seventh overall selection in the first round. They already had a young, slugging first baseman by the name of Prince Fielder emerging as a superstar in the majors, and no one figured they'd take another. But they had another plan in mind for LaPorta. Milwaukee believed that his advanced bat was a steal at No. 7 and that he could make the transition to left field. He wasn't even supposed to be available in the 2007 draft. After leading NCAA Division I with 26 homers as a sophomore at Florida, he figured to be a first-round pick in 2006. But when he was bothered that spring by an oblique injury, he hit just .259 with 14 homers and dropped to the Red Sox in the 14th round of the draft. Rather than sign for less than he felt he was worth, LaPorta returned to the Gators and batted .402 with 20 homers, leading Division I with a .582 on-base percentage and 1.399 OPS. The first-ever two-time Southeastern Conference player of the year, he signed quickly with the Brewers for $2 million, though he didn't make his pro debut until the end of July because he had an injured quadriceps muscle. LaPorta didn't miss a beat, hitting a homer in his first game at Rookie-level Helena and totaling 12 in 115 at-bats, most in low Class A West Virginia. In an effort to give LaPorta more at-bats and work in left field while also showing confidence he could adapt to advanced competition, Milwaukee sent him to the Arizona Fall League, a rare assignment for a first-year player.

Strengths: LaPorta has game-changing power and doesn't have to pull the ball to get it out of the park. Area scouts who covered him said his approach improved in 2007, and he also kept his hands inside the ball better and made more consistent hard contact. Unlike many sluggers, he also has a good eye at the plate and will take a walk if he doesn't get a pitch to hammer. The Brewers also like his poise and maturity, which is why they weren't nervous about challenging him with the AFL assignment. LaPorta's willingness to move from first base to left field and his work ethic in doing so also impressed club officials. Milwaukee isn't asking LaPorta to be anything more than an average left fielder. After all, they committed to Carlos Lee in left a few years back, and as one club official noted, "This guy's better than Carlos Lee."

Weaknesses: Like most young hitters, LaPorta still has to learn how to handle breaking balls, both quality pitches for strikes and those off the plate. He's a below-average athlete and runner, and his arm strength is fringy. He doesn't have the speed to run down many balls in the gap, but he has shown improved instincts in left field. He still needs to work on getting the ball to the cutoff man more quickly and mastering the other nuances of outfield play. He spent a lot of time in the AFL learning to read balls off the bat.

The Future: LaPorta's AFL experience may allow him to bypass high Class A Brevard County and start 2008 at Double-A Huntsville. As with 2005 first-rounder Ryan Braun, LaPorta shouldn't need much more than a full season in the minors before becoming an impact hitter in Milwaukee. The Brewers are bidding goodbye to Geoff Jenkins as a free agent and likely will turn to a stopgap in left field while they wait for LaPorta to arrive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also interesting to note that Baseball America has the predicted 2011 Brewers team and they have Rob Bryson as the closer on that team...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If Taylor Green is included in the deal I'm going to be heart broken as I think he's going to be another future star in the middle of the diamond or at 3rd base....
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Zach Jackson is garbage, change of scenery will help him, but he's been a bust for the last 3 years

If Milwaukee is giving up Green (as it appears to be him, Lucroy, Hammond or someone in the 5-15 prospect range), I'm hoping the Brewers also receive a player such as Betancourt, Kobayashi, or Andy Marte (who I still have hope for ala Brandon Phillips).

I hear that that don't really care about weight gain there, and have lots of big fun buffets for CC...

It should work out quite well..

Perhaps C.C. Sabathia can make Rick Reushel look like a 400meter sprinter by the end of September.

Not exactly out of the realm of possibility...........:popcorn:

<!--nav--> <!-- #BeginLibraryItem "/Library/nav.lbi" -->
nav_left.jpg

<!-- #EndLibraryItem --> <!--main content-->
photo_about.jpg

hdr_about.jpg

<!--C.C.'s thoughts on his work in the community:--> Baseball is his passion. Family is his life.
The Brewers are his team.

These are what the Cleveland Indians’ CC Sabathia brings every time he steps on the mound. Standing at 6’7” and with his trademark hat cocked slightly to the side, Sabathia has the build of a professional football player and the heart of a champion to go along with his flame throwing left arm.
His imposing presence on the mound belies a community and family oriented man off it. CC Sabathia is active with the Cleveland Indians off-the-field and performs lots of community service of his own accord. He will donate a total of $250,000 over the life of his current contract with Cleveland to the Larry Doby RBI Program via a donation to Cleveland Indians Charities.
For the ace of the Cleveland Indians’ staff, it all started in Vallejo, California where he was a three sport athlete – football, basketball and baseball. In addition to his baseball prowess, scouts were also interested in what he could do on the gridiron as the all-conference Tight End actually had a signed letter of intent with the University of Hawaii to play football before being selected as the 20th overall pick in the 1998 Amateur Draft. Sabathia wasn’t just a ballplayer, he’s also been an athlete and that’s just what the Indians got.
After blowing through the minor league competition, it wasn’t long before CC got the call to the “show.” In 2001, barely 20 years old, he burst onto the Major League scene as the league’s youngest player at the time and won 17 games while also amassing an impressive 171 strikeouts. His success as a rookie was instrumental in helping the Indians reach the American League Division Series where CC won the only game he pitched. There was no doubt at the end of the season that Sabathia’s performance had announced loud and clear that he was here to stay. Baseball experts acknowledged that as he finished 2nd in the American Rookie of the Year voting to the Seattle Mariners’ Japanese import, Ichiro Suzuki.
Over the next five seasons, CC was selected to the All Star team twice and put up double digit wins and strong strikeout totals in each of those seasons.
Despite already being a two-time All-Star, Sabathia’s real breakthrough season came in 2006 in which he recorded a career low 3.22 ERA which was good for 3rd in the American League. Most notably, he cut his walk totals by more than 20 from the previous year and by more than 50 compared with his rookie year. With fewer baserunners reaching, Sabathia thrived and was able to stay as aggressive as ever on the mound. He delivered more complete games than any other pitcher in the American League, a testament to his ability to stay strong deep into games when his team needed him. With his electric stuff, the Majors took notice in 2006 that he wasn’t just a gas-throwing up and comer anymore but that he was a complete pitcher, more dangerous than ever.
subphoto_aboutus.jpg

Entering the 2007 season, Sabathia had collected 81 career wins and is a good bet to get his 100th win this season at the young age of 27. Since his first pitch thrown in 2000 as a 20 year old on a 92 win team, Sabathia has shown steady improvement. And since the first pitch of the 2007 season, Sabathia has been among the top across all the major pitching leader boards. He’s once again improved on his walk rate while keep his ERA down. With more run support than he’s had in previous years, he’s been able to deliver in the win column and will threaten his previous career high of 17, achieved in his rookie season.
While the fans in Cleveland are thrilled to see the gentle giant Sabathia fulfilling his immense promise as a frontline starter on a contending team, there can be no fan happier than his mom, Margie Sabathia.
At an early age, she instilled the importance of family into CC. With a strong base and belief in yourself, CC knew he could accomplish anything. “Be confident” she always told him “but be humble too.” CC knows he’s blessed to have a mother who understands sports and was able to help him understand to appreciate the game, fulfill his God-given ability and above all, to display good sportsmanship.
“We talk about everything,” Sabathia says. “She understands the game big-time. I’ve been able to talk about sports with her – all sports – since I was 12.”
When he steps out on the mound, the lessons she taught him as a child ring loudly in his head. What will his legacy be? How can he have an impact on people’s lives? That’s the importance of displaying good sportsmanship. It might be tough when you have the talent Sabathia has and the success he had at such a young age but “she always made sure I was humble and appreciated the game.”
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/472b8f6ebd268dc3/486ffaa2b26172cb/472b8f6ebd268dc3/7ce48f" id="W472b8f6ebd268dc3486ffaa2b26172cb" height="387" width="300">

</object>
His wife Amber now helps to keep CC happy, healthy and focused. Amber and CC are the American Dream – high school sweethearts who remain happily married to this day. She shares in all his successes and helps him the through the highs and lows of the grind of a 162 game season, which will hopefully last deep into October for many seasons to come.
Now the fans of Cleveland can appreciate the man and the player Sabathia has become and make it an even bigger family. As CC lives his dream as a professional athlete, he looks forward to passing on the lessons he’s learned both on and off the field to his own family including his two amazing children – CC and Jaden.
When all is said and done, there’s no reason not believe that CC can continue to pile up the wins in front of the amazing fans on the lake. Sabathia is spearheading the Indians’ resurgence in one of America’s great baseball cities. CC knows what’s at stake for the city and for his team and yearns to be a part of a championship with the organization where he started his career. So he puts every bit of his 6’7”, 290 pound frame into every pitch that he throws.

Good for CC and good for Milwaukee

I like CC a lot and hope he can take the Brew Crew to the next level. I love seeing a team like Milky to make a move and go get the big name. Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt Sheets going to be a free agent after the year as well? Milky is in position to get more picks now if they lose both Sabathia and Sheets at the end of the year.

I love this Laporta also. From what I hear, he has the potential to jump from AA to the bigs! The Indians will be fine. With the combo of Carmona and Lee at the front end of the staff, they will be contenders next year. I just hope they do not play the old "we had a lot of injuries" bs card. Yes, they have had their share of injuries (big time) but they were struggling early. Astrubal Cabrera looks to have gotten his shit together in the minors. I think Barfield, if healthy can return to the form. Hopefully he be the person we thought we were getting.

I believe Blake will be gone after the year is over. We must replace him with a power corner spot. Blake is having a career year and will get a decent contract somewhere else. He is making 6M this year and should get more money next year.

Biggest thing will be to get a closer. It is amazing that the Indians thought they were safe with Joe Blow.

brewers are an immediate contender to win the central now

nl central prolly gets 2 teams in the world series hunt now

this is probably actually a fair deal, brewers have the best farm system in baseball, probably not even debatable and they gave up some nice prospects which cleveland needed b/c it's farm system is down and they'll be loaded with picks in the 09 draft, which is supposed to be one of the best drafts or shaping up to be one of the best drafts of the 2000's.

Woke up and still pumped about this trade. Will lose a little luster to me if the PTBN is actually Green. I think he is going to be very good. Out of all out huge prospects last year Greenwas the Minor league POY. But you Indian fans got a good one in LaPorta. Like Fondy somewhat said at worst hes Adam Dunn. I think at best he can go 275/35 HR/375 OBP something like that. If we do give up Green though I want Betancourt or Marte back for sure. Both buy low candidates who I both think can rebound in the Majors. Otherwise cant wait until tommorow. Nick you end up finding tickets to the game?

Back