s--k's plays week 6

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
I'll be traveling after mid-week as friend and I will be attending Oregon-Colorado. And likely won't have time to post much leading up to Saturday. I will post some thoughts as time allows, but not much in depth this week.

Here's what's on the radar:

UCLA

SD ST

Iowa

Eastern Michigan

Maryland

Syracuse

Nebraska (need line drop)

Colorado (fuck it I'll be at the game, go Buffs!)

Arkansas

Tulsa (only if Cody Green remains benched)

Rutgers (don't want to lay many)

Washington

Kent St

Ole Miss

Tex Tech

Akron

Baylor (even at current #)

ML potential

Akron, maybe Syracuse

week 5 / 10-9 (-1.25u)
week 4 / 7-11 (-4.45u)
week 3 / 8-7 (+.95u)
weeks 1-2 / 25-21 (-.7u) unposted
futures

Door mats. On Eastern Michigan and Akron, two of the worst teams in the country in recent years and think one of them can pull an upset? Surely I jest? Well, if you've read my threads you know I do take mostly dogs and will not shy away from ugly dogs.

Let's take Eastern Michigan first.

Eastern Michigan

I believe I would be the biggest Buffalo supporter here. I have a o5.5 wins and a 6:1 MAC East wager on them. I had them vs tOSU and had them last week vs UConn. I like them. But I do not like them laying 13' pts.

This doesn't exactly feel like the same Eastern Michigan teams. but you wouldn't necessarily know it by their final scores.

Vs Penn St they lost 45-7, but that game was just 17-7 halftime (EM's TD was on D). Eagle D forced 5 3-and-outs. EM had 9 FDs and 144 yards in that 1st half. PSU started slow, but did eventually gain 242y 1st half and wore Eagles out in the 2nd half. EM would have only 2 FDs the entire 2nd half and PSU would score 31 more pts. But it is baby steps here for EM. QB Benz didn't throw any INTs (lost 0 TOs for game) and their TE had 8rec 73y. While PSU did sack the Eagles 3x, would you believe that EM sacked PSU 4x?

Vs Rutgers they lost 28-10, but that game was just 14-10 Rutgers at halftime where one of Rutgers's TDs was a KO ret and EM missed a FG from the from the 14 at the end of a 10p-53y drive. EM's TD drive was 5p-85y. EM had a 220-122 1st half yard edge. In the second half, EM was SOD at the Rut 25 after a 15p-64y drive and Rut used two 50y TD runs by James for the final margin of 28-10. EM missed 2 FGs. For the game EM had 21-12 FD, 373-274 TY, and was 7 of 19 3rd down compared to Rut 1 of 8. Rut did get 6 sacks to EM's 3. Benz passed for 60% for 335, but did throw 2nd INT of the year, that was the only TO EM lost. EM's TE Russel again was the leading target 9rec 84y.

Vs Ball St they did lose 51-20 (ouch) and 34-13 halftime, but Ball only had a 258-213 yard edge. Quoting Phil Steele on this one:
EMU fumbled at its own 17 setting up a Ball St td, then got off a short punt which set up a 45 yard BS td drive. EMU fumbled at the BS26, was SOD at the BS21. BS took over with 2:21 left in the half, up 14, and went 50/6pl for a td to lead 34-13. EMU was intercepted at the BS9 on its second 3Q possession and went on a 79/16pl drive but was intercepted in the endzone with 4:45 left, BS had a 543-416 yard edge but the FD’s were even at 25 and BS won by 31 as Keith Wenning hit 17-26-317.

Benz did throw his 3rd and 4th INTs of the year, but still completed 62.5% for 212y. And EM's running game finally got on track again running for 204 (4.6) with Bronson Hill leading the way 126 (6ypc). Their 416 yards were the 8th highest under English (54 games).

So after all that what did we learn? EM's D still sucks, but their offense has life, not just life, but they've actually been good at times with a 2nd year QB and RB. There were real positives to take away from the BCS opponent games along with the Ball St game who is one of the two best teams in the conference.

Benz has passed for atleast 60% in every game and topped 200y passing 3x including a 335y game vs Rutgers.
Hill has struggled to rush vs the BCS teams, but his numbers vs Ball St are good and #2 Jackson has 142 (4.6) on the year.
Russel leads with 23r from TE, the top 3 WRs combine for nearly 40r.

Their 12 sacks are already 5 more than they had all of 2012 (7).

Stat rankings

In terms of their MAC peers through 5 weeks EM ranks 7th in total O and 8th in total D, not bad considering the opposition I think. Buffalo is worse in both categories (also played tOSU and Baylor).

Eastern Michigan and Buffalo have similar numbers on offensive 3rd down conv EM 34% and Buff 32%, however EM does boost the MAC's best 3rd down D at 31% (27th nationally). Buff and EM are sacking opposing QBs at a similar rate EM 3 pg, Buff 3.25 pg (both rank top 20 nationally). However EM is allowing 3.5 pg to Buff's 1.5 per gam.

The special teams, nearly ever facet of the special teams are a weakness for EM.

Buffalo last week

41-12 beating of UConn looks pretty doesn't it? I'll quote myself from the misleading final thread:

Buff did have 330-220 TY edge in the 41-12 win over UConn, but Buff also benefited from a +4-1 TO ratio. Buff had 8y TD ‘drive’ and 26 & 19 FG ‘drives’ along with a 33y INT TD. UConn had 208-169 1st half y edge but trailed 28-12. Buff D dominated in 2nd half holding UConn to 27y on 7 possessions!

2 weeks ago Buffalo beat Stony Brook 26-23 in 5 OT. Which it is hard to fault them too much since they were off the tOSU and Baylor games and SB is a decent IAA team. Buff's top RB was out for that game as well. The struggles on O vs SB are still concerning, just 10 pts in regulation.

Buff does have a stud WR Nuetz (27r-414y) and All-MAC caliber Rb in Oliver (1400y '11, slow start '13, inj '12). QB Licata is servicable, hit 53% vs UConn and 57% vs SB.

Buff's D limited Uconn to 220y although SB had 440y (only 52 in OT). They do have All-MAC caliber players all over the D led by NFL prospect LB Mack.

EM Beating Buffalo and feeling the pressure

Eastern Michigan has beat Buffalo 5 straight. I fully expect that to end this week. The Buffalo teams that lost those games never finished with more than 3 wins. I do not think you can make a case that EM wins this game. Buffalo is on the verge of competing for the division and EM is likely on the verge of another losing season.

At the same time, I don't think that Buffalo has played well enough, even vs UConn last week, to justify them being a 13' pt fav even a bad EM team who has at times not looked completely awful this year. If EM can have good moments at Penn St and and at Rutgers then they could have similar success here as well one might think.

This is a big game for both teams obviously, Buffalo has MAC title goal and this is their conf opener. EM is looking to Buffalo and Army as winable games to pull to .500. Ron English's job is on the line. He was retained after last year's bust of a season possibly because there just wasn't any better option. They have a new AD this year and the expectation is if they don't win 6 games he is gone.

Anything around the 2 TD level and I'm interested in EM, much less than that no thank you.

I've been looking at SDSU a lot today. Still doing some gathering, but Rocky Long has good success against option and pistol offenses. As well as SDSU likes to run the ball and Nevada loves to let people run all over them

Akron

I like this one better than EMU. Akron has some positive things to point to on O, D, are at home and taking on an Ohio team that has appeared beatable.

Last 3 games

Akron's offense has come alive once again. The offense came out of dormancy in year 1 under Bowden, but lost a 3400y QB and took some time to get things going this year. Soph Kyle Pohl has a firm grasp of that spot now.

Over the last 3 games vs Mich, ULL and BGSU (all of whom were in bowls '12) Akron has posted 418, 455, and 296 TY with Pohl in that span passing for 277 ypg, 58% (51% vs Mich) and 6-4 ratio (2-2 vs Mich) and also rushing for 43y (8.6) vs ULL and 26 (4.3) with a TD vs BG.

Here is Phil Steele's recap of the Akron - BG game:

Bowling Green struggled at times vs Akron. The Zips opened with 67/3pl and 72/12pl td drives and led 14-3. The two teams combined for 5 punts on the next 5 possessions. BG blocked a punt with 4:53 left in the half and got a 22 yard td pass with 1:41 left to gain momentum. They only trailed 14-10 with Akron having a 204-159 yard edge. BG went 69/11pl, and 60/6pl for td’s to lead 24-14. The key play happened when Akron went 74/11pl. On 4&gl at the 1 they settled for a 19 yard FG, much like last week when they missed FG’s in the final minutes of the game. They missed the 19 yard FG and BG went 80/13pl getting an 11 yard td run with 4:49 left to have their biggest lead of the game, 31-14 and Akron’s final drive was SOD at its own 31. BG had a 396-296 yard edge.

BG owned the 2nd half with Akron having just 112 2nd half yards (222 1st half). Much BG they did a few weeks ago vs Kent (252 1st half yards - 65 2nd half yards). Vs teams their own size, BG D is top 3 MAC in all major yard and point categories.

While Zips did not cover, they were just inches away from coveing. Their 17y FG hit the upright after a 74y drive, which if good would have made the game just 24-17 early 4th qrt and BG would go on to front door and win by 17 laying 15/16.

Post game Dave Clawson had this to say:

“Going into the week I really thought Akron was much more physical on both sides of the line than a year ago, and all that proved to be true,” Clawson said in Monday’s MAC coaches teleconference. “They really got after us in the first half.”

2 weeks ago vs ULL, the Zips had just the opposite occurred. Akron started slow, but finished strong. Akron did have to backdoor ULL for the cover, but Zips did have the lead twice in the 2nd half and yards were even, ULL only had 4 more FDs.

Phil's recap of the ULL game:

Akron was off its big game vs Michigan and a couple of times Louisiana appeared on its way to a rout. UL got a td with 9:51 left in the 2Q to lead 14-0 but UA got a 77 yard td pass and drove 69/6pl for a td to tie 14-14. With :36 left to go in the half, UL was at the UA15 yard line when they opted to go for it on 4th down, passing up the FG and they came up short getting no points out of the drive. UL had a 223-189 yard edge at the half. The lead changed hands four times in the 2H but UL took the lead 28-24 with 8:07 left then surprised UA with an onside kick and recovered. They went 54/5pl for a td with 6:19 left for an 11 point lead. UA missed a 46 yard FG on 4th & 9 with 3:49 left but UL threw an interception. UA was at the UL32, but missed a 48 yard FG on 4th & 5 with 2:33 left. UL punted with just 1:32 left and UA25 went 75/7pl and got a 28 yard td pass with :29 left saw them only lose by 5 (2ptng). UL recovered the onside kick. Terrance Broadway hit 25-37-305 and rushed for 68 while Kyle Pohl hit 27-43-321.

We all know how the Michigan game played out.

I'm still amazed that Akron had more FDs and only 7 less total yards and actually led Michigan late and had a couple chances to win at the end. The ND hangover was surely a factor and Michigan did have 4 TOs, but Akron had 2 themselves in that game and Zips also missed 2 FGs.

That makes 4 straight games (including James Madison which they won) that they have had the lead in the 2nd half. And their margin of loss is 8.6 pts the last 3.

Offense

Zips have only allowed 4 sacks in 5 games which is 2.1% per attempt, this is an improvement over last year's 4.1%.

Their passing offense ranks 3rd MAC (5th eff) and converting 47% 3rd down.

Pohl's numbers are above.

They don't run it nearly enough for the quality of RB they have. Jawon Chisholm was just 47y shy of 1000 last year and he is capable of being one of the MAC's best, but zone blocking isn't his strength and the OL isn't strong run blockers. Chisholm only 35 attempts L3g, 130 (3.7). Bowden says he wants to run it, but Akron is just simply better at throwing it around. 5 players have DD catches, including Chisholm. Zach D'Orazio is the key and LT Smith is a big play type.

Defense

Akron still gives up bunches of yards especially rushing. 451 total ypg. However, there are some positives burried within. Akron has 14 sacks this year just 2 shy of their '12 season total. They can get after the QB, sacked BG 6x in the 1st half last week. Also sacked UCF 4x. Akron seems so committed to getting to the QB sometimes and do not put as much emphasis on their run D. Still, there are some All Conf potential players (James, Caponi) in this front 7 which is a rarity for Akron and LB March is playing well.

They also rank 3rd nationally with 38 tkl for loss. USC is #1 with 44 for comparison. 7.6 pg, last year was 5.92 per game.

Ohio

The biggest problem for Bobcats and their offense is the OL is hurting. 3 5th yr seniors are out with injuries (McGrath, Lechner, Johnson as is Jr Mark Smith). There have been 4 different starting lineup combos in 4 games. As of 9/28 there were only 7 players in rotation, 3 of which are Sophs, 2 rFr, 1 tFr - only one of the preseason projected starting lineup (Prior) is currently starting. This is on top of losing 2 All Conf OL and some top reserves from last season.

Solich wants to run the ball, but the OL has not allowed them much success there. They were able to run for 251 on Austin Peay and 203 on N Texas, but just 60 (1.67) vs Marshall (top 2 RBs combined for just 1.7 ypc on 27 att). Tettleton ran for 240 LY, but has -5 net this year. Instead they bring in Vick at QB for runs, he has 52y. Ohio will want to run it vs Akron and the stats say they should be able to, but how will their OL matchup?

I've thought that something has seemed off with Ohio this season. You can really only judge them by the N Tex and Marshall wins. They did beat NTex by 6 at home (had 42y INT ret TD) and had a misleading final win vs Marshall, Herd outgained them by 150y, but lost 4 TOs in 3 pt Bobcat win.

The defense hasn't seemed especially good either. Even vs Austin Peay who gained 298y, their best output of the season. Previously Austin Peay only gained 210y on Chattanooga.

I guess they haven't played as good as I might have thought they could, without factoring Louisville game.

2012 Akron at Ohio 34-28 (+20')

Zips moved the ball early gaining 112y on their first 3 drives, but were SOD and INT'd inside Ohio 30; while Bobcats got out to a 20-0 lead. Akron started finishing drives in the 2nd half and had 456-441 TY edge, but was -2 TOs.

Akron on the cusp of a win vs IA team?

It has been 0-25 vs IA teams dating back to 2010 finale, Akron's last win vs an FBS team. They would appear to be getting closer.

Zips couldn't seize the opportunity vs Michigan. They started slow vs ULL, but finished strong. They started fast vs BG, but faded. Is this the week Akron puts together a complete game?

Marsski, Ohio is your team. Upset?

I've been looking at SDSU a lot today. Still doing some gathering, but Rocky Long has good success against option and pistol offenses. As well as SDSU likes to run the ball and Nevada loves to let people run all over them

If SD St can play as well as they did vs Oregon St then they will be fine. They were just one bad decision from possibly winning that game. They had a new RB last week, not sure if Muema is injured again? I need to look into this more.

Fajardo is a great QB did have huge game last week, but I saw him limping at times too, still might not be 100% (knee). I would keep in mind that Air Force D has allowed everyone to have stat padding days.

Looking at SDSU and Ole Miss myself.

Glad to hear it!

always a great read in your threads...BOL this week :cheers:

Thanks. This might be about it for the week though. I've chosen to spend my time on two of the worst teams in football. LOL. I have a strange attraction to bad teams sometimes.

Like I said traveling mid week and will have to focus on some other things soon.

Good luck Hammers, MW and play2win!

solid stuff dude. very solid.

ill be honest that when I read EMU's game 'summarys' it sounds like they make some untimely and bad football plays, but I do agree with 13 points being a lot for Buffalo to cover...

Akron

I like this one better than EMU. Akron has some positive things to point to on O, D, are at home and taking on an Ohio team that has appeared beatable.

Last 3 games

Akron's offense has come alive once again. The offense came out of dormancy in year 1 under Bowden, but lost a 3400y QB and took some time to get things going this year. Soph Kyle Pohl has a firm grasp of that spot now.

Over the last 3 games vs Mich, ULL and BGSU (all of whom were in bowls '12) Akron has posted 418, 455, and 296 TY with Pohl in that span passing for 277 ypg, 58% (51% vs Mich) and 6-4 ratio (2-2 vs Mich) and also rushing for 43y (8.6) vs ULL and 26 (4.3) with a TD vs BG.

Here is Phil Steele's recap of the Akron - BG game:

BG owned the 2nd half with Akron having just 112 2nd half yards (222 1st half). Much BG they did a few weeks ago vs Kent (252 1st half yards - 65 2nd half yards). Vs teams their own size, BG D is top 3 MAC in all major yard and point categories.

While Zips did not cover, they were just inches away from coveing. Their 17y FG hit the upright after a 74y drive, which if good would have made the game just 24-17 early 4th qrt and BG would go on to front door and win by 17 laying 15/16.

Post game Dave Clawson had this to say:

2 weeks ago vs ULL, the Zips had just the opposite occurred. Akron started slow, but finished strong. Akron did have to backdoor ULL for the cover, but Zips did have the lead twice in the 2nd half and yards were even, ULL only had 4 more FDs.

Phil's recap of the ULL game:

We all know how the Michigan game played out.

I'm still amazed that Akron had more FDs and only 7 less total yards and actually led Michigan late and had a couple chances to win at the end. The ND hangover was surely a factor and Michigan did have 4 TOs, but Akron had 2 themselves in that game and Zips also missed 2 FGs.

That makes 4 straight games (including James Madison which they won) that they have had the lead in the 2nd half. And their margin of loss is 8.6 pts the last 3.

Offense

Zips have only allowed 4 sacks in 5 games which is 2.1% per attempt, this is an improvement over last year's 4.1%.

Their passing offense ranks 3rd MAC (5th eff) and converting 47% 3rd down.

Pohl's numbers are above.

They don't run it nearly enough for the quality of RB they have. Jawon Chisholm was just 47y shy of 1000 last year and he is capable of being one of the MAC's best, but zone blocking isn't his strength and the OL isn't strong run blockers. Chisholm only 35 attempts L3g, 130 (3.7). Bowden says he wants to run it, but Akron is just simply better at throwing it around. 5 players have DD catches, including Chisholm. Zach D'Orazio is the key and LT Smith is a big play type.

Defense

Akron still gives up bunches of yards especially rushing. 451 total ypg. However, there are some positives burried within. Akron has 14 sacks this year just 2 shy of their '12 season total. They can get after the QB, sacked BG 6x in the 1st half last week. Also sacked UCF 4x. Akron seems so committed to getting to the QB sometimes and do not put as much emphasis on their run D. Still, there are some All Conf potential players (James, Caponi) in this front 7 which is a rarity for Akron and LB March is playing well.

They also rank 3rd nationally with 38 tkl for loss. USC is #1 with 44 for comparison. 7.6 pg, last year was 5.92 per game.

Ohio

The biggest problem for Bobcats and their offense is the OL is hurting. 3 5th yr seniors are out with injuries (McGrath, Lechner, Johnson as is Jr Mark Smith). There have been 4 different starting lineup combos in 4 games. As of 9/28 there were only 7 players in rotation, 3 of which are Sophs, 2 rFr, 1 tFr - only one of the preseason projected starting lineup (Prior) is currently starting. This is on top of losing 2 All Conf OL and some top reserves from last season.

Solich wants to run the ball, but the OL has not allowed them much success there. They were able to run for 251 on Austin Peay and 203 on N Texas, but just 60 (1.67) vs Marshall (top 2 RBs combined for just 1.7 ypc on 27 att). Tettleton ran for 240 LY, but has -5 net this year. Instead they bring in Vick at QB for runs, he has 52y. Ohio will want to run it vs Akron and the stats say they should be able to, but how will their OL matchup?

I've thought that something has seemed off with Ohio this season. You can really only judge them by the N Tex and Marshall wins. They did beat NTex by 6 at home (had 42y INT ret TD) and had a misleading final win vs Marshall, Herd outgained them by 150y, but lost 4 TOs in 3 pt Bobcat win.

The defense hasn't seemed especially good either. Even vs Austin Peay who gained 298y, their best output of the season. Previously Austin Peay only gained 210y on Chattanooga.

I guess they haven't played as good as I might have thought they could, without factoring Louisville game.

2012 Akron at Ohio 34-28 (+20')

Zips moved the ball early gaining 112y on their first 3 drives, but were SOD and INT'd inside Ohio 30; while Bobcats got out to a 20-0 lead. Akron started finishing drives in the 2nd half and had 456-441 TY edge, but was -2 TOs.

Akron on the cusp of a win vs IA team?

It has been 0-25 vs IA teams dating back to 2010 finale, Akron's last win vs an FBS team. They would appear to be getting closer.

Zips couldn't seize the opportunity vs Michigan. They started slow vs ULL, but finished strong. They started fast vs BG, but faded. Is this the week Akron puts together a complete game?

Marsski, Ohio is your team. Upset?

I took Ohio -6. I think Ohio emptied the bench early vs. Austin Peay so I think you are misreading that game. I look at it like Frank has had 2 weeks to lay low with AP and a bye and get the Cats ready to take care of business in the MAC. Misleading win vs Marshall sure but Marshall is much better in my book so I wasn't surprised.
I don't think 6 is much to cover for Cats considering Akron has played someone under 6 pts one time in last 14 MAC games. Game last year vs. Akron Ohio was so so so banged up.
Akron did play Michigan tough but needed bullshit back door drive to get LaLa under double digits.
They will have no crowd, the Michigan buzz is gone and the OU alums will be coming out in NE Ohio. I'm not interested much in betting teams that haven't won in 2 years catching less than a full score. Feel similar about Eastern although I won't be on Buffalo laying that many...Bad MAC teams are pretty bottom barrel by an order of magnitude you don't see in bigger conferences in my opinion. Not sure anyone cares about Englishs job but I do agree its probably now or never for him.
Just not seeing it your way this week but I sometimes have a homer bias concerning Ohio.

SDSU note for ya - MLB Jay Fely got hurt last game and is now out for the year with a broken foot. It's a huge loss for their defense IMO, and now has it to where I'll prob lay off the game.

Ole Miss is climbing higher and higher up my list this week. Possibly could be my biggest bet of the week.

Also will most likely be opposite of you as I really like Stanford again this week.

I was eyeing Ohio also. Curious to know the health of their o-line??? I saw 2 were questionable?

Power out in the Valley? I was expecting to argue with you over obscure games this week...good luck brother

Hey guys, first time I've been able to have much time at the computer. Left home Thursday and was in Boulder for the CU-Ducks game. Won't be home until this upcoming Fri. I do not know who is playing this Saturday, haven't seen any lines and haven't read any box scores from last week yet. So this week I won't be around much either - don't have a smart phone or anything like that.

Didn't play anything Thurs or Fri which is a bummer because they both (UCLA & SD St) would have been winners. My actual Saturday card looked like this:

2u (1-0 = +2u)
W - Washington +10

1u (3-3-1 = -.3u)
W - Tex Tech -17
P - UNC+10
W - Marshall -16
W - Rice +3
L - Colorado +40'
L - Ark +13
L - Ole Miss -3

.5u (0-5 = -2.75)
L - E Mich +13'
L - Maryland +17
L - Akron +3
L - 'Cuse +14'
L - Kent St +9

ML 0-1 = -.5u
L - Wash .50 to win 1.6

4-9-1 incl ML loss = -1.55u

I chased on Washington, plus it was the only game I really had a chance to watch start to finish Saturday.

I feel embarrassed about E Mich and Akron. They are only 2 losses, but when you go on record like I did with them it is ugly. I am personally really surprised about Akron. Glad you hit that Marsski. Still the fact that Arkon had those 2nd half leads last 3 weeks, they appeared ready to turn corner and I had thought that OU was arguably the weakest team they faced in their last 3 games (all respect to Solich and OU, you proved me quite wrong). I don't know what happened there, but there was absolutely no value on Akron by the time I got to call in, going from 6' mid week to 3 by KO. It saved me money, since if the line was higher I would have had it for more.

Talking to Dollaz last week I realized I actually liked Rice and flipped from Tulsa. Talking to VK make me realize Marshall was a game I should have on my list. Got lucky push on UNC, why did this line go to 10? It was nearly a blind bet just on perceived value - probably should have lost. The last 2 weeks I've lost 2.2u by a combined 1.5 pts betting against Oregon. Buffs played an exciting 1st qrt vs them, throwing everything including the kitchen sink at them, after that they didn't have much left. Had a chance to get TD late 3rd qrt which would have resulted in cover, but failed 4th down inside the 10.

I don't really know how many of these games played out. Time in Boulder was fun, but I don't like being in the dark about all the other games.

Back