s--k's plays week 5

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Not posting lines since none of them matter, mine will be whatever they are on game day. Don't have much time this week for lengthy info posts, not like it lead to wins last week anyhow.

Games of interest:

MTSU
Virginia - scratch
N ILL
Buff
Kent St - scratch
ECU
UAB
UTEP
USC - scratch / flip to Az St possibly
La Tech
Okla
S Miss
S Car - likely scratch unless line drop
FL - scratch
Wazzou
FAU

And if I can stomach the thought of these teams again this week:
Troy
Ark St
Tulane

Edit - some new considerations:
Ole Miss
Cal
Miami, FL
N Mex - scratch

I'll figure out what I actually intend to bet and sort that out this week.

Actual plays Sat AM, copied here from within the thread:
1u
NIU -4
Buff +1
OU -4
LT -3
Miss +14'
Ariz +10
SMiss +29
Cal +38

.5u
Mia, Fl -17'
ECU +12'
Troy +12'
UTEP +14
Tul +13
FAU +14
Ark St +21'
UAB +20

LT fucking steaming sucks, felt like i had to call it in at 3 rather than waiting in fear of 3'. Only actually called in 7 officially, most I'm hoping for line movement in my favor. Wazzou I want, but TBD.

'Zona is a game I thought about all week, I can't explain why I added it exactly. That always happens, always a game that shows up on my sheet that never was there before. And if I can get Az St below 4 I will play them.

Wish I had a strong ML play, but all those dogs I like just with the pts, although I'd think that somewhere will be an upset among those dogs.

week 5 0-1 -1.1u
week 4 7-11 (-4.45u)
week 3 / 8-7 (+.95u)
weeks 1-2 / 25-21 (-.7u) unposted
futures

Last edited:
Quick thoughts is all for now:

MTSU -
BYU does not do alot of things well and MTSU should have offense to hang within 3 TDs. Travel and altitude is concern, but BYU off Utah loss, so unknowns on both accounts there.

Virginia -
I think Hoos D is underrated and not sure Pitt is going to field the kind of O we saw vs NM and Duke weekly. It would appear Pitt D can be run on and thrown on.

N ILL -
Have to be a little worried about NIU defense on a near weekly basis I guess, but with Lynch at QB I can't seem Purdue D stopping Huskies either.

Buff -
Bulls get to catch their breath off games at tOSU, at Baylor then an uninspired effort vs a not bad IAA Stony Brook team that went to multiple OT. RB Oliver didn't play vs SB, will check status here. UConn may have shot their load last week and played way over their head (coupled with a Michigan team that might think too much of themselves). Games vs Towson and Maryland were not nearly as competitive and might reflect reality. Can't see any reason why Bulls can't win outright if they play to the preseason potential.

Kent St -
Both teams get to take on somebody their own size for a change. Kent off PSU and LSU and W Mich played 3 of first 4 vs B1G. Through WMU's O struggles with new staff, I at one time still thought WM D wasn't that bad, but then I saw what happened vs Nichols St and I hold that against them. Kent isn't a bad all around team. Dri Archer likely returns. Both teams probably banged up, will need to check depth and health for both. Might be a good Over game.

ECU -
UNC in GT - VT sandwich and ECU off bye. Could see shoot-out with these QBs...ECU might even have the better D? Not sure, but I don't think ECU D gets pushed around here (check VT only ran for 1.5 ypc on them). In state game likely a bigger deal for Pirates.

UAB -
Not really sure how good this Vandy team is yet (see game at UMass, see first half vs S Car, see only 38 pts vs Austin Peay). UAB offense should challenge them and getting 20 pts currently.

UTEP -
Is Col St getting respect for "close" loss to Bama? UTEP hasn't been all too impressive, but it hasn't really taken impressive to hang with Rams and Rams laying DD here?

USC -
Almost took the pts with Az St last week, but didn't like what I saw in the Wis game for them and definitely didn't like what I saw last week. For all Az St's hype they did only beat one team with a winning record last season. USC O is always going to be concern, but I rate USC big D edge as I was quite impressed with their game vs Utah St defensively. This could be a game I scratch if the 7 or better isn't there by game day.

La Tech -
Looking to go against Army here. Their O was a big disappointment last week and lost 2 fumbles on poor ball handling (not necessarily forced by WF). Could happen again this week. LT O still finding their way, but it isn't like Army D puts up much resistance. I still really like the LT D front as well. Hopefully they aren't hanging heads off the KU heartbreaker.

OU -
Quite unimpressed with ND this season. Mich St all but handed them points last week with all the penalties. I'm not totally sure of the OU D, but they aren't taking on a jugernaut here and I like OU O vs ND D matchup.

S Miss -
Boise was -10 at 0-4 SMiss last year. Sure bottom hadn't completely fallen out yet, but to see it 26 now, if you believe SMiss is going to be improved this year that is a ton of points.

S Car -
I'd like spread to drop to 4 or lower, not sure it will. Bright House stadium will be rocking for sure. Was quite happy to see UCF beat Penn St 2 weeks ago, but this is going to be quite a different task and that upset likely got Cocky's attention so there should be no taking lightly here.

FL -
Don't want to be happy that Driskle broke his leg, but am interested to see what kind of O Gators can put together with the new guy, I'm thinking it will be improved and Gator D should hold UK in check. Still pretty much on the fence here though.

Wazzou -
Never easy to go against Cardinal. Wazzou is improving no doubt and that improvement includes their D. Line seems fishy, Cardinal was -25 at the Farm last year and now just 10. I think Wazzou can make this a 4 qrt game.

FAU -
Battle of the Owls! Oh where art thou top shelf FAU D? FAU back in the spot we like them best, DD dog. New found FAU O that improved from week 1 to week 2 (life began for this offense vs USF 2 weeks ago) which makes them more attractive.

Troy -
If I can totally forget the Miss St debacle, then there would appear to be good value on Trojans. Just two weeks ago Trojan O appeared well equipped to hang with most any midmajors. If Troy has any pride and self respect they rebound. But this is going to be a hard play for me to make still on the heels of MSU game.

Ark St +21 seems like a ton of value, although this is the same team that got whacked by Memphis of all teams! I don't feel Mizzou is quite as good as the IND game would suggest. Toledo played good game, Ark St getting more pts and may be better than Toledo, but after last week who knows?

Tulane -
ULM has been shell of former self this season (even vs lesser competition like WF). Tulane could not overcome numerous mistakes, baring a repeat of which I don't see any reason why they won't compete here and getting 11 is an overreaction to last week's Syracuse result.

Last edited:
Hard work over time will result in good things. Your thread is a great read each week. I re-read it several times. Appreciate all of your contributions.

Hard work over time will result in good things. Your thread is a great read each week. I re-read it several times. Appreciate all of your contributions.

This. And also what I wrote in VK's thread.
Completely get/understand the frustration. Hopefully we all persevere. :shake:

Louisiana Tech

About La Tech:

Last week LT was going for a 17-3 lead when they fumbled at the 1 and the ball went through the EZ for a touchback. Earlier LT missed two FGs from the 20 and 23 yard lines. K was 5 of 7 coming in, but just 1 of 3 vs KU.

RB Kenneth Dixon got back on track vs KU with 129y (7.2) a week after Tevin King led with 88y (6.3). King also had 182 vs Lamar and Dixon led with 118 vs NC St. LT hasn't gotten big games out of both RBs in the same game yet like they did last year before King's injury (OFY), but that would appear to be around the corner. Especially if they can get Ds to respect their passing game more, which also appears to be around the corner.

LT QB Scotty Young was horrible vs Tulane (9 of 28 - 108y) before being injured and replaced. He wasn't healthy enough to practice last week and they started Higgins (7 of 16 - 57y 1-1 vs Tulane). Higgins had a good game vs KU going 35 of 55 - 289 1-1. Holtz says the INT was not Higgin's fault, did fumble at the 1. You don't see it in the stats because of sacks, but Higgins is a runner. He's only netted 18y on the year, but before sacks his gain yardage is 79. He is expected he starts vs Army this week. Lleading returning receiver (#3 overall '12) DJ Banks finally showed up last week with 13r-82y.

I've like the La Tech DL since I saw their play vs Tulane. Charlie Weis complimented the LT DL as well after KU's misleading/undeserving win last week. I watched WF NT Nikita Whitlock absolutely dominate the Army OL (15 tackles). I think the Army OL is going to have their hands full this week vs LT as well. When taking on teams their own size, their front 7 should matchup well. DE Enemkpali is #2 ncaa in sacks (5.5). As I said last week, LB Daniel Cobb has been a big addition to the D (trans from TT) (2.5 sacks, t-2 ncaa 9 tfl). The LT D forced 4 TOs vs Tulane, including 3 fumbles.

Tech has put up just 15 and 10 pts on O the last 2 weeks, but if we remember back to the Tulane game they blew numerous TD opportunities early and settled for FGs. And last week they missed FGs and fumbled twice inside the KU 5. So it isn't that they are just inept on O, they just are not cashing in. 443 yards vs KU. As for Army, they at times appear to be both inept while also not cashing in.

Holtz said he felt the OL played their best game last week.

About Army

I watched all the Army - WF game and it was close early and Army did lead 11-10 at one point, but they really struggled moving the ball outside of an occasional Terry Bagget big run. Their QBs are not performing and ball handling (and fumbles) are still a problem. Army has scored only 8 TDs over their first 4 games (half those vs Morgan St)(none vs WF), last year they had scored 12 TDs in their first 4 games (with 4yr starting QB as well). Last week they played without FB Larry Dixon (game time scratch) and RB Raymond Maples missed last week. Dixon could return this week. Army has been rotating QBs all season and this week they might throw a new hat into the ring with Soph Kevin White who played last week after Schurr got hurt (he had the 2 fumbles too). White is said to have the best arm. After 4 games and seeing Schurr and Santiago, Army is still trying to find good play out of their QBs.

Army may also be without their best defensive player S Geoggery Bacon who dislocated his wrist vs WF, but did return with a soft cast. Status as of now is TBD for him. Maples (1000y '12) is out again. Army had 6 false start penalties at home last week, which on one hand you would think is correctable, but on the other you wonder why a team that is supposed to be so disciplined has these kinds of mental mistakes? Could be the WF DL was in their heads, that could happen again this week. 8 total penalties home vs WF and 10 vs Stan and Ball combined.

Two of Army's last 3 opponents had familiarity in playing Army recently. LT does not have that advantage and is my only concern going into this game, any and all other areas I like LT.

This game is at the Cotton Bowl.

Why LT?

How the LT O is coming around with Higgins at QB, the Army O struggles, the LT D personnel and a Army D that couldn't keep the wraps on a struggling WF O last week are leading me to playing LT. Army keeps turning it over and has more penalties then they'd like. Army's QB play has just not been good this year and they potentially will be without their best defensive player here (Bacon). If they get Dixon back at FB that will be a boost for them, but one more thing is Army has lost the last 13 road games (including neutral). Their last road/neutral win was the 2010 Bowl vs SMU. Army talked the talk last week after a decent showing vs Stanford, but they failed to deliver the goods.

hard not to like tulane here....lil revenge angle as well

the mere thought of having money on them is sickening tho

Thanks guys. I'm glad I can bring some info to the site. As long as you aren't coming here for wins (ytd = 40-39 and down a few units). But if I bring something up that helps others that is cool. Or I should also say that if you think I say something that you totally disagree with that deserves a second look tell me.

Yeah, what's up with Boise laying that many? Stood out to me too...

Well S Miss is in the nation's longest losing streak and that includes 2013 loses to Texas St and a blowout loss in Lincoln after Huskers struggled with Wyoming. So not many are going to give SMiss much love and the game has been lined as such.

12 wins to 12 loses in one year and they haven't righted the ship yet this year. The players on this team can't be that bad except at QB obviously, which arguably just happens to be the most important position.

I don't know if a legit case can be made for S Miss here other than just a leap of faith.

I'm leaning usc... I like them in a dogs role..

They tend to play to their competition..

Is Tulane worth it again?

What happened last week:

Last week vs Syracuse, Terrel Hunt was the real deal for Orange. And the OL was every bit of a problem as expected it could be.

Here are Tulane's 1st half drives.

11p-50y 1st and goal at 5, kick FG.

3-and-out, punt blk'd.

5p-75y TD drive.

3-and-out, punt tipped/blk'd.

10p-61y 1st and goal at 2, FG blk'd.

7p-59y TD drive.

254 yards, 4 drives inside the Cuse 5 and just 17 pts.

Here are Syracuse's 1st half drives:
7p-75y TD

7p-75y TD

2p-6y TD

3p-15y TD

4p-17y TD

3-and-out, punt

9p-85y TD

Syracuse was going to get their points and yards in this game, eventually atleast, but 2 blk'd / tipped punts and a muffed punt allowed Syracuse to get off easy and 3 TD drives totaling just 38 yards. In total 4 special teams break downs including the blk'd FG preventing 3 Wave point directly accounted for 31 pt Cuse advantage in the 45 point win.

Tulane was able to move the ball, but failed to cash. Mostly because of the OL either in lack of run blocking, QB hurries or sacks. We knew the OL was a major problem area and Syracuse made it a glaring weakness.

Second half, neither team had much left. Syracuse scored with just a couple seconds before halftime for a 45-17 lead (10 yard advantage) and the wind was taken out of Tulane's sails.

The positives to take away for Tulane were that a #2 WR emerged in Justin Shackelford (7-106-TD). And Darkwa/Kelly RB combo did run for 91 (5.95) on just 16 attempts (including only 3 in 2nd half). Montana proved his toughness getting knocked down several times. With 3 sacks vs Cuse and 6 vs LT that makes 9 in 2 weeks.

Tulane D obviously struggled, which we knew was possible if Hunt was the real deal and that he was. The encouragement from the LT game was squashed pretty quickly.

Injuries

I hear that Jeremy Peeples should be back on the DL this week (LSU transfer only played 1 full game '13, injured vs LT), however leading tackler S Sam Scofield could miss (concussion) and RB Darkwa is doubtful at this point (shoulder). Darkwa is quality player for sure, but Kelley has led the team in rushing the last 2 weeks. Kelley is also dealing with a shoulder injury, but Johnson didn't seem to think he'd miss.

To my knowledge ULM is fairly healthy.

2012 63-10 ULM blow-out win

ULM was 20 pt fav in the Superdome in an incredible hot streak that saw them beat Arkansas in OT, nearly beat Auburn in OT and only lost by 5 at home to Baylor in a primetime Friday night game. Many thought that ULM would be flat vs Tulane, but ULM kept that momentum and rolled right over Tulane.

It must be noted that Tulane was starting a career backup QB and 42% passer DJ Ponder, officially 3rd string, in that game. I believe Darkwa was not 100% as well (missed first 3, returned here). Tulane gained just 151 total yards. In the previous 2 games vs Ole Miss and Tulsa, Tulane had totaled 159 and 177 yards respectively, clearly this offense was not in a very good place last year. And defensively Tulsa had just gained 651 yards on Wave 2 weeks prior and ULM racked up 553 yards here. The Wave DL was in bad shape and they had not adjusted to Mackey's loss at LB.

You have to believe that overall, Tulane is in a better state offensively and defensively this year over last. What about ULM?

Is ULM as good as last year?

After last year, you'd expect ULM to be competitive vs most of the big boys, but they got steam rolled by both OU and Baylor, but hard to hold that against them. They beat WF (Wake dropped game tying 2pt conv late 4th qrt) and maybe since WF isn't a good BCS team, ULM isn't getting any credit for that win. They did have 424 yards on 104 plays in that one and held WF to just 325 on 63 plays.

Despite not competing well vs OU or Baylor, ULM is largely the exact same team they had last year. 4 OL starters are back (incl 9 of 10) and everyone else on O except the #1 WR and TE return. On D they essentially lost just 1 starter since LB Cameron Blakes was injured in '12 and he was actually 1st tm SB 2010. They have elevated rFr Justin Backus to starting CB over Vincent Eddie, but everything else is just about as you'd expect on the 2 Deep.

Kolton Browning is not leading them in rushing this year though. Jyruss Edwards is #1 with 233 (5.3). Browning is #3 with 90y (3.6). Browning is struggling throwing with just 54% overall (63% vs WF) for 208 ypg and a 7-6 ratio.

The D numbers aren't great because of who they've played. They did sack WF 4x on 52 drop backs.

After finishing +7 TOs last year they are -6 so far this year including -2 and -1 vs Grambling and WF respectively.

Who do I like?

I haven't been overlooking the faults of Tulane necessarily, but put more emphasis on their potential last week vs Syracuse. That and the massive spread move really got my attention with perceived value there. The Syracuse game could have gone differently, but with bad teams you get bad play sometimes, so it is what it is.

I actually like Tulane less this week than I did last week. I mentioned in schrute's ML thread about them being a potential ML play for me, but that is really hard to envision after thinking on it more.

ULM might not quite have the mojo they had last year, but they should be just as good as 2012 when they were quite good. I think playing a fantastic Baylor team and maybe a OU team that many didn't expect to have an improved D has masked that. They did beat WF and that game could have been a more comfortable ULM as they were SOD and WF 9 and missed a FG from the WF 7 on successive second half possessions. Browning's play might be of some concern.

I think Tulane isn't getting enough points to have me play them this week. The line was 20 last year and a hot ULM team thumped a bad Tulane team. Tulane is better this year and ULM isn't playing at the same level, but has the gap narrowed so much that the spread is now just 13 on ULM's turf?

It's tempting for me to go back on Tulane this week, but I think I have to be a little smarter and stay away unless the spread dramatically rises. You just can't make a real compelling case to take Tulane. Revenge? Maybe, but Wave doesn't have all the pieces and 2-2 ULM wants to bounceback from a 7-70 Baylor loss just as much as Tulane would like to get back in the win column. The only difference is that ULM is much better positioned to make that happen.

Last edited:
I'm leaning usc... I like them in a dogs role..

They tend to play to their competition..

I don't know anymore.

I really do not know how good Arz St is. Like I said, even vs Wisconsin I wasn't impressed all that much. So I was figuring to take the points with a high quality D vs an Arz St O that hasn't proven to be very inspiring to my eyes. But my trust in the USC O is also low and this road night game might be a tough spot for Kessler.

The Stanford loss makes this game really big for Az St's Divisional aspirations.

I respect the Utah St D, but USC had just 282 yards vs them and Kessler was just 48%.

My lean right now might be to scratch USC. I'm just not quite feeling it.

ASU's defense is undersized, quick, and tenacious. USC doesn't have the power running game that Wisky or Stanford has to exploit it...nor are they remotely as well coached to find things to exploit.

ASU's defense is a better unit than Wazzou's, and they kept USC down in the Coliseum.

Troy, again?

I had Troy +14 last week, even thought they could win. Instead they lost by 55! Against a Miss St secondary that was missing their two best players from 2012, Robinson was INT’d on Troy’s first drive (pick 6). Their second series saw a Deon Anthony fmb in the RZ. Their 3rd series was a TD and then that was it. Troy would only get 2 more FDs over the course of the next 3 qrts. Miss St was going gang busters scoring on their first 8 drives.

In the last 6 years, Troy has only been held to 7 or fewer points once before (at #1 Florida 2009). This was an offense 547 yards vs UAB, Sav St, Ark St and Robinson was 77 of 102 (75%) – 870y – 7TD – 3 INTs. Vs Miss St he could only muster 15 of 25 –105 1-1. For his career he’s thrown for over 11,000 yards, 66%, with a 69-43 ratio.

So here we are. Troy is now a 10.5 pt dog to a team that just allowed an ACC record (tie) 6 TD passes and 600 yards of offense.

Pitt vs Duke

Pitt was actually up by 17 pts mid way through the 3rd qrt, but Duke scored, then blk’d a punt setting up a 30y drive for TD with under 4m left to make it a 3 pt game. Pitt had been consistently up by DD throughout the game.

Pitt QB Tom Savage had a career day vs a Duke secondary that only returns 1 starter from ‘12 and the new guys are all first year starters and they threw 3 true frosh out there last week as well.

Pitt is no doubt better than Troy on many levels and the biggest thing that Pitt has that Troy doesn’t is a run game. Pitt’s top two RBs ran for over 200y. Troy is heavily one dimensional this year.

Duke’s offense had put up around 480y of offense in their first two games (under 300 vs GT) and they came up with 532 vs Pitt. Troy has allowed about 1100 yards just in their last two games and that includes 450 rushing yards! Obviously Duke should find success in whatever they want to do offensively even with a 2nd string QB.

Troy at Duke

Troy’s OL is bad. They haven’t had a go-to RB emerge, but their biggest problem in both rushing and passing is the OL. Vs an SEC D last week that was painfully apparent. Duke does not posses the same skill on their DL as Miss St did, but it is still going to be tough. Troy is going to try and be more balanced. They said so before Miss St and I’m sure now more than ever they are going to want to run more. In Troy’s case they will still be pass first, and with some success through the air they can open up the run. That would be the plan, but if they aren’t efficient through the air (last week) and the OL can’t run block (like all weeks) then the offense isn’t going to have consistent success against good to semi-good teams.

How good is the Duke run D? It is so weird. Vs Memphis Duke held them to 89y (2.7 ypc). Then Memphis goes and explodes for 329y (7.3) vs Ark St. Duke wasn’t able to control the Pitt run game, but Pitt and Troy are not comparable at all in that respect.

On the surface you’d think that an experienced QB and receiving unit can exploit a weak Duke pass D similar to what Pitt did, and on paper Troy should. But no doubt Duke is going to be working all week to improve their pass D, nobody likes being in the record books for bad performances. And again, Pitt also had the ability to have offensive balance, Troy hasn’t shown that ability.

You can’t count on the Troy D to do much of anything either. There was some optimism that with Wayne Bolt back at DC the D would show some improvement, but they have just been anialated the past 2 weeks vs Ark St and Miss St. How they slow Duke down I do not know.

The predictability of unpredictability

I say that because I can see Troy competing in this game, for the fact that strange things happen that don’t follow reason. How could one have guessed that Duke would score 55 pts on Pitt after only scoring 42 the last two weeks combined? Or that Troy would lose by 55 to an arguably weaker Miss St team than they competed well against last year?

I don’t know to what extent I’ll play Troy at this point. It seems like in some ways I should play Duke, but I can’t lay it with them. Duke has been a TD+ fav just a handful of times (IA opponents):

2012 38-14 (-23) v 0-4 Memphis
2011 48-27 (-10) v 2-1 Tulane
2010 21-35 (-6’) v 2-1 Army
2008 31-3 (-7) v 1-2 Virginia

Any flirtation with a possible ML is out the window with me.

If I focus just on Robinson and Co’s potential vs a Duke secondary that is some combination of bad/young then maybe I throw $50 on Troy. But hard to ignore some of the other issues here.

Buffalo

I had my eye on this Buffalo team in the summer and played them o5.5 wins and to win the MAC East. I thought they could beat UConn here.

Depending how you value both Towson and Stony Brook likely effects your impression of UConn and Buffalo. I don’t follow FCS much, but I believe that both Towson and Stony Brook are among the better FCS teams so I won’t put too much emphasis on those results.

And for Buffalo, vs Baylor, they were just in an extreme mismatch and as we are seeing, just about everyone on Baylor’s schedule looks to be at an extreme mismatch. I think when you look back to the Ohio State game, Buffalo showed well for themselves. They withstood a big opening wave vs tOSU getting down 23-0, over the next 3 qrts Buffalo actually outscored Bucks 20-17 including a great defensive play and TD by LB Mack. Buff nearly had another huge defensive play that would have resulted in a second D TD had it not been for a penalty on the play. Buffalo athletes vs Ohio State athletes isn’t going to be something that Bulls are going to come out ahead on much, but they competed well and opened some people’s eyes.

The Stony Brook game wasn’t an ideal spot for them off the Baylor beat down. Credit to Bulls D, they held SB to just 10 pts in regulation. Of concern is the offensive struggles vs SB. RB Brandon Oliver was a scratch (inj) and Buffalo relied on the pass in the first half quite a bit, with not a ton of success. 30 first half pass attempts to just 8 rushes. I don’t know if Oliver being out overly effected the play calling, but that is not who Buffalo typically is. Oliver ran the ball 8x vs Buckeyes just in the first quarter. Indications from HC Quinn is that Oliver will be back this week and it also sounds like they want to meet UConn’s physical front 7 in their run game. So I think getting one of Buff’s best offensive players back and getting the ball in his hands can only be a good thing that was missing vs SB.

So a bye week / bonus week was a good time for Buff to get healthy and recoup after the road trips to Ohio St and Baylor and prepare for a beatable UConn team.

2012 24-17 UConn –16’

Oliver DNP in this game LY and Licata had not yet become the QB. So offensively they will be much different this year than last. When Oliver is healthy is a great back (1st tm MAC 2011 w/ 1400 yards).

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="align: left"][/TH]
[TH="align: left"]BUFF[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]CONN[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]1st Downs[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="align: left"]3rd down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]6-18[/TD]
[TD]4-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]4th down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]1-3[/TD]
[TD]1-1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]361[/TD]
[TD]360[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Passing[/TD]
[TD]220[/TD]
[TD]227[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Comp-Att[/TD]
[TD]13-30[/TD]
[TD]15-22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per pass[/TD]
[TD]7.3[/TD]
[TD]10.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Rushing[/TD]
[TD]141[/TD]
[TD]133[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts[/TD]
[TD]39[/TD]
[TD]42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per rush[/TD]
[TD]3.6[/TD]
[TD]3.2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Penalties[/TD]
[TD]3-30[/TD]
[TD]3-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Turnovers[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Fumbles lost[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Interceptions thrown[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Possession[/TD]
[TD]26:34[/TD]
[TD]33:26[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

UConn was up 24-7 at one point, but UConn had very little 2nd half offense with their last 5 drives amounting to about 35 yards and all ending in punts. Buff did have two 2nd qrt back-to-back drives end on TOs in UConn territory.

UConn offensively returns most of the offense from that game, although their defense lost many key contributors (7 starters gone on D incl 4 All Big East players, 3 of which were drafted).

Buffalo returns nearly all their D from that game and has an improved offense.

Buffalo is better this year

Bulls went with Fr QB Joe Licata in November last year and the team played their best ball of the season down that stretch going 3-1. Licata is not a great QB, but he is a huge improvement over Zordich who had been starting previously. Licata had all off season to prepare and practice as the starter and he has stud WR Neutz to throw to (65-1015-11TD with mostly poor QB play last year). The OL may not be any better, but doesn't appear any worse than '12 either.

Buffalo had been playing pretty good D throughout last year, but over their last 6, no opponent scored more than 25 on them (including Pitt and Toledo).

This year the defense is a very veteran unit with an All MAC player at ever level (DE Way, LB Mack, CB Johnson). The starting secondary is all upper classman and the Sr CB / S due of Johnson and Houston have been playing since their Fr years. Johnson had 6 pbu's LY and has 5 already TY. Mack is a high NFL draft prospect and his skills were on display vs Ohio State.

UConn

We all know UConn is 0-3 and off a tough loss to Michigan. Which way will this team go after last week? A home national TV game vs a premier school in the nation is not a frequent opportunity for the Huskies.

For as close UConn came to winning that game, their offense was not the reason why with just 206 of offense and 12 FDs. Uconn scored on a fumble ret TD and had a 9y TD 'drive' set up when Michigan punt ret team touched the ball allowing Huskies to fall on it inside the Mich 10.

Neither team has very high offensive rankings, but there are some things that UConn does poorly. Whitmer has 4 INTs in 3 games. He has also been sacked 14x, 4.6 pg. On the other side of the ball, they don't get many sacks of their own, just 3 so far and after 10 tfl vs Mich they had just 2 vs Mary and 4 vs Towson. They have poor 3rd down O at 24% and have allowed 10 of 10 RZ conversion to opponents with 7 TDs. After a stout 98 pg and 2.7 ypc rush D 2012, this year UConn is allowing 200 ypg and 4.35 ypc.

Really this offense is not good and the defense is below recent standards.

Of note, leading receiver Shakim Phillips DNP vs Michigan, status unknown this week.

So a QB who gets sacked a bunch (here comes Mack) with a negative TD-INT ratio (vs and experienced Buff secondary)

Buffalo's goals

They have stated goals of winning the MAC and playing in a bowl game. On the later goal, winning home games is a must as they only have 5 true home games. Naturally players and coaches have emphasized the importance of winning at home. Situationally off a bye, Uconn off shooting their load...an improved Buff O and D vs a diminished UConn O and D...a team on the rise (IMO) vs a team wallowing in failure. I think Buffalo gets this win, I'd probably lay up to 3 if I had to.

Oklahoma

Looking at ND

I have bet on or against ND every game this year (on vs Tem, Mich, Pur, against vs Mich St). Part of my plays on ND were also partial plays against their opponents, that didn't work out. I finally wised up to what I was seeing, last week I bet Michigan St almost exclusively for Spartan defensive prowess against an average ND offense. So I grew a little bitter on ND through weeks 1-3 and have come away thoroughly unimpressed with their team on O and D.

Against Temple and Michigan ND had trouble with those dual threat QBs. Rob Henry used to be a dual threat type, but he has not run much on the year and did not do so vs ND either. Temple, Purdue and Mich St offenses aren't much to write home about, vs the only decent O ND faced they allowed Michigan 460 yards and 41 pts.

To me, ND's DL hasn't played well and the back 7 on D looks very different than a year ago. For a team that really won with defense last year, it looks like this year they are losing (or on the verge of losing more) because of their defense. 4 games into 2012 Irish had 14 sacks, 4 games into 2013 they have 4. Last year they held Mich St to 2.0 ypc rushing, this year that ypc increased to 3.4. Michigan was 3.9 LY, 4.26 TY. The 3rd down conv % is worse, as are yards and FDs allowed. And one of the biggest differences, turnovers. First 4 games 2012 ND was +9, this year they are +1. The Te'o and Motta loses were or have been underestimated and the D overall doesn't appear to have the same passion or fire and lacks leadership.

They were fortunate to beat Mich St. 6 times Michigan St was called for a 15y PI or 10y DB holding call that gave ND first downs, a few times on 3rd down.

Rees struggled vs Mich St D, but on the year he'd been fairly good although but not great.

ND has not rushed for over 100y as a team since week 1 vs Temple. Only 91y (2.46) vs Purdue has to raise an eyebrow.

The O is only converting 64% RZ trips into points, that ranks 114th in the nation (80% 2012).

It is a different team for sure.

Oklahoma

I think the jury may still be out on how good the OU D is. But with just 4 returning starters to a D that ranked 60-something last year, this year's unit is atleast back on track.

The defense opened some eyes with the shutout of ULM, not that shutting out a Sun Belt team is news, but ULM was hot last year and returned nearly everything on O. OU's pts allowed, total and rush yards allowed, ypc, ypp and sacks were all at statistical low levels in 2012, so to open by holding ULM to 166 total yards is something.

Holding WVU to 7 pts is no accomplishment and Sooners did so while allowing nearly 400y. Tulsa was able to put some drives together enroute to gaining 320y and 20 pts. So there are some unknowns on how good the D is still. There is improvement though.

Some of the improvement is coming from better DL play, a unit that returned just 1 starter (Ndulue and he hasn't started yet this year). OU has a new DL coach and I found this:

There have been philosophical changes made this season that have helped. In layman’s terms, the defensive line is no longer being used to occupy blocks. They’re firing off the ball, getting in the backfield and are expected to make plays. That change has created opportunities that didn’t exist in previous years.

Players like the changes. It allows them to make more tackles and create the negative plays the Sooners struggled to fashion last season.

We'll see how much improvement this D has vs Irish 2012 vs 2013 this weekend. Last year ND ran for 215 (5.5) on Sooners with 64 from Golson. Actually every positive rushing yard ND gained last year vs OU is no longer on the Irish roster (Golson, Riddick, Wood).

Bell-Dozer not just a plow you over type

We all knew him as a short yardage and goal line specialist when backing up Landry Jones. The expected heir apparent was beaten out in fall camp, but due to Knight's injury Bell got the start vs Tulsa and he put on a show (413 (73%) 4-0 TD-INT). If Bell can have that kind of consistency throwing while also retaining the ability to run with the size he has (6-6 263) this OU O is going to be tough to deal with. With Knight at QB, the passing game was bad (44%). It is a small sample size, but the Tulsa game provided alot of optimism not seen out of this offense the first 2 weeks.

Last year vs this year's matchup

I mentioned how all of ND's rushing production from LY's game is gone. That and ND hasn't run the ball very well with the cast they have this year.

I've also mentioned how much different this year's ND D is from last year's unit that upset OU. That Irish D held OU to 15 rushing yards. 15! Take out 2 sacks and OU still just ran for 31 yards! 31!

I see no way possible that happens this year with the way that OU has been running the ball and also now with their dual threat QB coupled with ND's run D regression.

That game last year was just 10-6 ND at the end of the 3rd and tied 13-13 early into the 4th. Then ND went on to score 17 unanswered points. A 73y ND TD drive, followed by a Te'o INT for a 16y FG 'drive' and OU's SOD led to ND's 20y TD 'drive'. A close game blown open in a matter of minutes.

ND controled both LOS last year. I haven't seen the ND DL play like that this year and it has been a point of emphasis for the Sooners how they were manhandled last year.

Cal

Copied some thoughts I had in marsski's thread on why I liked Cal:

I think Cal offensively will be in the best position of any recent Cal team with regard to moving the ball and scoring vs Ducks in a very long time. Zach Maynard was an awful QB and the Riley/Longshore years were very inconsistent at best.

Goff is lighting it up and the new offense is paying dividends. Goff went 31 of 53 371y 3-1 vs tOSU. Problem here is that was at home, now he gets his first ever road start at Autzen for a 7:30 night game!

Oregon has been crushing the spread with covers by 17 laying 28, 25' laying 23' vs IA teams.

This is the highest spread by over a TD, but in my opinion, this is also the best offense the Ducks have faced.

I'm not sure Cal D (even if now healthier) can slow Ducks, but catching over 5 TDs I think Cal can certainly get into the 20s and maybe even more of their own. If Cal can get say 24, then that means Ducks would have to score 60+ to cover and I don't think it is unreasonable to see Cal get more than 24. Oregon will get theirs, only way Cal doesn't I think is if they can't finish in the RZ or have their drives end in TOs. Cal is 13 of 14 in RZ this year, although with just 7 TDs.

Marsski added the fact that Dykes was playing it to the very end with calling TOs to squeeze out every last play even though they were down 18 with under 2m left. Good coaching philosophy to have for a back door if nothing else.

Last edited:
Middle Tennessee State

Tried posting this last night, but site was down.

I'm open to hearing from any BYU backers to get that side of the story on why you like them -23 or so.

Not completely sure why MTSU is getting so many points here. This is the kind of line that BYU would lay to the likes of Hawaii from 2012 (26’) or Idaho and NM St from 2011 (both 22). Those are/were bad teams. MT was 8-4 last year, 3-1 so far this year and would appear to be on pace for bowl eligibility again at year’s end.

Raider O

The level of competition has not been great, but also not as horrible as it might look to some. 446 yards, including 296 rushing vs an FAU D that many including myself had been praising. Now 284 yard to Memphis and just 17 pts there isn’t something to brag about, however, we all saw how Memphis dominated Ark St. While it caught many of us off guard, if we look back at how that Memphis D closed 2012 their improvement has been steady and noticable. Memphis has a great DL. Memphis’ DL might be better than what MTSU will face at BYU and the DBs MTSU just played at FAU are every bit as good or better than what BYU fields. Throw in an average, but still BCS level UNC D and this Raider team hasn’t faced creampuff Ds in my eyes.

RB Jordan Parker is 2nd CUSA rushing and has topped 100y 3x including 109 (4.95 ypc ) vs UNC. Reggie Whatley contributes with 243 and 8.1 ypc!

QB Logan Kilgore is 3 year starter. Kilgore did injury his throwing shoulder in week 1 and he has played through the injury and is not 100%. On the year he is just 61% – 729 – 3-4 ratio (3 INT vs UNC)(16-6 ratio LY).

The OL had been dealing with some injuries at C and RG, but according to the recent depth chart, the #1s are all listed as they were for week 1 except at C. Coming into the year MT returned 9 of top 10 and now have about 80 career starts between them.

They convert 48% 3rd down (44% vs UNC, 53% FAU)

rFr K Cody Clark is only 2 of 4 on the year (L40).

At UNC in week 2 (were only +17' by the way), MT lost 20-40 and scored some late TDs to help the margin and didn’t have much clicking on O in the first half, they did blow some chances. The first drive MT had a 1st and goal, but was INT’d. Kilgore was later INT’d at UNC 12 and also SOD at the 9.

Raider D

BYU offense that when it is right can churn out yards and points in bunches. FAU and Memphis aren’t those kinds of teams, although FAU somehow did explode offensively vs MT which might be a bad omen.

MT does some things well that could help them here. First they have 7 INTs (t-7th ncaa) by 7 different players – only 12 INTs last year. However, you look at the QBs they have played and except for Renner the opposing QBs aren’t good. But neither is Taysom Hill. Hill is still completing just 35% with a 1-3 Ratio. So an opportunistic Raider D could pick off a couple more here. MT has also has 13 sacks (#1 CUSA) plus 11 hurries, last year Raiders had a total of just 14 sacks! Year 2 of Tyronne Nix’s system is paying some dividends. Hill hasn’t been the best at avoiding sacks - 8x in 3 games. Hill did have career best 260 passing last week, but it was on 48 attempts.

MT has also forced 7 fumbles (t-3 ncaa).

Having said all of that, BYU will get yards and points here. I’m not saying it is all roses and sunshine for MT D, statistically they aren’t good and will certainly be the weakest that BYU has played by far, but after all BYU is 123rd in pass efficiency and their RZ TD of 36% so this isn’t a jugernaut Cougar O.

BYU can and will run the ball and they will run it well I’m sure. MT has not seen an O with the desire to run like BYU. It should be noted that one of BYU’s best players, RB Jamaal Williams will probably miss this game (not official). Williams had 1100 all-purpose yards ‘12 and has 371 ry ‘13. Williams was taken to the hospital after suffering a concussion and sevre stinger last week. Also, Ross Apo has an injured shoulder that limited him vs Utah. He’s expected to play here, but shouldn’t play a major role. LB Spencer Hadley is still suspended.

East going west and altitude

MTSU has no experience playing in altitude and the travel on a short week and the thin air could play a role. But let’s look at recent previous east teams coming to BYU.

2011 24-17 UCF (also on Friday night)
2009 28-54 FSU
2005 3-20 BC
2004 20-17 ND

So maybe the altitude and travel angle shouldn’t be over played. The last 4 IA eastern teams that played in Provo either won SU or lost close games.

I think my opening comments sum up my feelings best. BYU isn’t playing a team as bad as Hawaii or NM St or Idaho, the type of teams BYU typically is favored by this high of a spread over. I don’t know if BYU will jump out early, or if MTSU will be fighting them throughout, or if I will need a back door, but gimme 3+ TDs and the Raiders and I’ll take my chances.

ECU

2012 NC 27-6 -14'

Last year ECU was in 3rd of 3 straight road games and UNC held them to just 233. EC actually had 5 fewer yards the week before at SMiss, but did post 403 yards at SC 2 weeks prior. NC was off their near comeback at LV and only had Idaho on deck.

EC did kick a 22 and 27 yard FGs after two long drives. However, NC also kicked a 20y FG and missed a mid range FG as well.

Renner was 27-43-321-2-0 / Carden 17-30-124-0-0

The UNC D wreaked havoc, sacking Carden 7x (their most since 2000). Carden was also under heavy duress in his last game vs VT who coincidenitly sacked Carden 7x as well. Nearly half of NC's 2012 sacks are gone, but Kareem Martin is the leading returning sack man, he had this to say: "After watching film, I see a lot of things I like.”

Bad news for ECU when looking at the ODU game?

EC secondary was expected to be improved this year as last year they broke in 3 first time starters including 2 JUCOs. In the opener this year Old Dominion's Taylor Heinicke 38-51-338-3-0. Now compare that to how Heinicke faired vs Maryland the next week...18-34-166-0-3 INT. That doesn't reflect very well on the Pirate D.

Not much to like for ECU other than the situation

This year we know that EC is off a bye and NC is in a GT - VT sandwich.

The last 2 times we saw ECU vs FAU and VT their high powered offense was sputtering. It was their defense that led the way in those. EC's D strength appears to be the run D, but they can be had through the air as both ODU and UNC have showed.

Suspensions/Injuries

NT Terry Williams is suspended, Jr Chrishon Rose will start and has started before. It is a significant loss however, Williams was said to be arguably EC's D mvp. Still missing Jeremy Grove at ILB (leading tkl'r at time of injury vs FAU), but Zeek Bigger has been an impact player of his own stepping into the starting lineup. The other ILB Kyle Tudor may return this week who also missed vs VT. EC is hopeful to get Joshua Hawkins back at DB who is a top reserve/nickle (concussed vs VT).

Downgrading ECU

It's a bigger game for ECU and there is a chance that UNC takes them lightly based off of last year's result and the VT look-ahead potential. ECU is off a bye to try and get their shit right on offense which has disappointed the last 2 games. Would have liked a ML shot here, but don't think so. Gut tells me ECU finds a way to compete here maybe with the pts, but the the head isn't liking it much.

s-k, ur time, info and knowledge is much appreciated!!
BOL this wk

Thanks man, like you, a labor of love. I put off way too much life stuff I need to be doing this time of year because of the football obsession.

Northern Illinois

Just some quick notes:

• NIU D ranks 90th in scoring D at 31 ppg, but they've only yieded 9.7 ppg in the 2nd half.
  • NIU D 100th allowing 448 TY pg.
  • DT Anthony Wells is expected back this week from a broken foot. 7 career starts, 28 games and 4 sacks last year. NIU D can use him.
  • Jordan Lynch missed a couple plays vs E ILL and has been limited in practice. Nothing serious here (yet), Lynch is avg 22-23 carries per game and has unexpectedly have to shoulder more responsibility vs Idaho and E ILL when I expected they could get more help out of their other ball carriers, but the games have been too close to not have the ball in his hands.
  • Purdue CB Ricardo Allen (all Big Ten 3 years straight) left Wisconsin with ankle injury. He is probable.

I think this game could end up being pretty close. Purdue didn't show well vs Cincy or Wisconsin, but depending how you value Notre Dame, they played well at home vs them. I respect Hazell and he did prep against NIU in last year's MAC Title game. It is homecoming for Purdue has a bye on deck and a win here sends them off into their bye with heads high and ready to work harder.

NIU takes pride in playing "the big boys", they want wins vs BCS schools just as much as they want wins vs MAC teams. And this game is certainly very winnable.

The D has alot of potential vulnerability, but the NIU offense is so strong. They've got good play out of RB Cameron Stingley the last 2 weeks since #1 RB has been out and remains out. The OL is good, the receivers are good.

Should be a fun game to watch and as long as the line is 4 or less I will play Huskies. It is dangerous play potentially and I understand this, but I'll take the better team with better offensive personnel all around who still plays with a chip on their shoulder.

Ole Miss

The perception is you get in front of Alabama, you get run over time and time again. But in the games vs 'good' teams, that isn't always the case. If say that 'good' means atleast 7 wins then Tide was 3-5 ATS last year including the Title game. In the SEC vs 7+ win teams that record was just 1-4 ATS.

So is Ole Miss a 'good' team this year? They won 7 last year and are 3-0 so far this year. I like that their wins have not been vs all IAA, Sun Belt, CUSA types. Vanderbilt and Texas are not great teams, but they atleast provide better competition. What I'm saying is that I like that Ole Miss has atleast played some probable bowl eligible teams so far. And I, like many people, believe they are a team on the rise. Texas sucks, ok, sure, but compare 2012 home result to the 2013 road result. Compare losing to Vandy in the last minute last year at home, to beating Vandy in the last minute this year on the road. Things are pointing up and last year they lost by 'just' 19 and held Alabama to their fewest yards (305) on the season.

2012 vs 2013 Alabama

The situation was very similar for Tide last year as it is this year. All the off season hype last year was the Arkansas game, that was supposed to be the team to challenge them. We know how that played out. Then Tide comes back home and plays a noncovering game vs FAU. Then Ole Miss came to town. This year they come home from aTm, play an uninspired effort vs CSU and now Ole Miss comes to town.

But if we use the FAU and CSU games as comparables we find they are not comparable at all. Vs FAU Tide had 500+ yards of O, 25 FDs, 50% 3rd down conv, 5.4 rushing ypc, Lacy had 100y 1st half, McCarron threw for 200+ and 3 TDs, and FAU was sacked 3x held to just 41 yards prior to their late 4th qrt TD drive.

Now contrast that with the CSU game...338 yards of O, 16 FDs, 20% 3rd down, 3.1 ypc rushing, McCarron 258 py, but 1-1 ratio, Tide didn't top 100 ry as a team, let alone the first half and CSU was sacked 1x and gains nearly 280y for the game.

So just what is going on here, why such a stinker vs CSU? The conventional wisdom is that Alabama shot their loads all over Kyle Field and that Saban wanted to play some young guys and wasn't going to embarrass McElwain. That is all true. But under 100 rushing yards, 3.1 ypc and 2 of 10 3rd down? Is it because Cooper was out? You almost have to try to be that bad vs a lower teir MWC team. aTm didn't show much of a hangover dominating SMU until Manziel was pulled.

Alabama's OL just isn't great. It isn't just about purposely not adjusting vs VT in week 1 to not show anything to aTM anymore. They are getting beat and out physicalled. Steen DNP, but that still doesn't say much for the other starters.

Pass D was bad against aTm, no big deal. Heisman QB, stud WR, ok give them a pass. But why so bad vs CSU last week? Saban is searching for the right CB combo and he hasn't found it yet. In fact CSU QB Garret Grayson had more completions, better %, more yards and better ypc vs Alabama than he had vs Colorado or Tulsa!

Oh, but everything is a plan and process they say. So people are saying it is all a set up, Saban wanted his team to play bad so he could fire their asses up this week for Ole Miss. I don't buy it.

Ole Miss is hungry

They have momentum carried over from last year and believe they can play with anyone. They're all one year older and Wallace has 11 more games under his belt as starting SEC QB.

Alabama's corners are young and have been beaten often. Enter future NFL'r Donte Moncrief. Better receivers than aTm? That is what Wallace thinks, and he might be right. Frosh Laquon Treadwell and Moncrief will challenge the Alabama CBs and Miss' #2 and #4 receivers are back as well.

Ole Miss wants more TEs. Fr TE/Slot Evan Engram is actually the leading receiver on the team, but Ole Miss has something else they are working on, 6'4" 302 lb DT Lavon Hooks says he played WR in high school. Hooks had 9.5 sacks at JUCO last year and could be playing both ways for Miss.

Denzel Nkemdiche is expected back at starting LB (proclaimed himself 87% Wednesday). Charles Sawyer is back from suspension and expected to be the #3 CB.

If Ole Miss has a weakness, it is pass coverage, which gives McCarron and Cooper and advantage.

Don't tug on superman's cape.

Wallace says 'they will put points' on Alabama and 'will be close game'. Treadwell tweeted, 'stay tuned upset'. Not that anyone would want to wake up the beast, but clearly this is a statement game for Rebels, or blackbears whatever, and they are confident.

Recent history shows it could be a close game. While Tide has won 9 straight, Ole Miss has covered 6 of last 8. And Ole Miss plays surprising well vs Tide in T-town. I'm not one to put alot of historical emphasis when different coaches are involved, but looking back Ole Miss has covered 4 straight at Bryant-Denny dating to '06 with an average loss of just 9.75. Is this Ole Miss' best team in that span? I think so.

Tremendous work here...thanks for the effort...
much luck this weekend!

Appreciate that.

Some Army / LT Updates:

Quick Sept. 26 practice blog

By Sal Interdonato | Published: <abbr class="published" title="2013-09-26T09:30:20-0400">September 26, 2013</abbr> | Leave a comment
Junior free safety Geoff Bacon (wrist) didn’t practice Thursday morning and is doubtful for Saturday’s game against Louisiana Tech at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Army could use juniors Steve Ricciardi and Hayden Pierce or senior Tyler Dickson in Bacon’s place if he can’t play.

Sophomore quarterback A.J. Schurr and junior defensive end Joe Drummond didn’t practice. Also didn’t see sophomore linebacker Alex Meier.

Junior fullback Larry Dixon was practicing and looks to be on schedule to start after missing last week’s game against Wake Forest with an ankle injury.

- See more at: http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/#sthash.zxvLZDfG.dpuf

The Bacon situation is one to keep tabs on, he is Army's best defensive player.

Not uncommon for Army to be outweighed on the lines, LT DL looks to be another tough matchup for them this week:

The offensive line is small, which could factor into Tech’s success. It also plays into Tech’s strength — the defensive line.
Led by IK Enemkpali, who is tied for the NCAA lead with 5 ½ sacks, and tackle Justin Ellis, who at 357 pounds will outweigh Army’s center by triple digits, the Bulldogs are capable taking over the game and clogging up run lanes.

“We have been struggling so much with some of the defensive fronts that we have faced in the last couple of weeks and this looks like another one,” Ellerson said.

They confirmed that Higgins is starting QB again for La Tech.

Some Tulane / ULM updates:

Leading tklr S Sam Scofield is looking like he will play (concussion). Kelly and Darkwa (both shoulders) have looked good in practice. One of Tulane's top recruits, Chris Taylor may play for first time this week. Johnson had said earlier he was maybe their 6th best OL, now maybe 2nd or 3rd - easy to understand since the OL has sucked so bad.

We know that Tulane has had some issues, most notably OL (and punting last week). ULM's biggest issue is their TO margin, in a negative way. -1.5 per game ranks them 117th, Browning has thrown 6 INTs this year. He had a lower body injury suffered vs OU, but is said to be 100% (or near) now. ULM leading receiver Je'Ron Hamm is likely out with his own lower body inj.

As is always the case, I can't play anything until Sat morning so just trying to see how the card will set up.

I'm simply too undisciplined to stay away from some of the bad teams I have here. The .5u will be games like Tulane, Troy, Ark St, UAB, ECU and UTEP. Probably shouldn't even play them. I'll call those my junk games that I have to play to satisfy guilty pleasures of rooting for bad teams getting bunches of points. Southern Miss fits that bill, but that is a borderline 1u game for me I think. Most everything else looks like 1u. I'll update the card on Sat morning as usual.

Games I really have not dug into much but still like/lean are Wash St, FAU, Mia FL and N Mex. If anyone has opinions on these or info that may help one way or other feel free to post.

Good writeups s--k - I'll play devils advocate for you as the Mormons almost made my card.

I don't like MTSU's ability to stop the run at all, and if BYU gets out to a comfortable lead early, they will wear MTSU out in the second half pushing them off the line and scoring while running down the clock. Will it be enough? Dunno, but they are definitely built to hold a lead, and grind away a game, getting scores along the way against weak run Defenses.

I don't see Ole Miss stopping Bama this week. Tide should be able to score on the Rebels pretty easily, and Bama's DB's should be good enough to bait Bo Wallace into throwing a few interceptions. His comments to the media this week should be all Saban needs to motivate his guys to come out with fire after last week's shaky showing vs CSU: "We can put points up on Alabama. We can score on anybody."

The stuff on LT vs. Kansas was very eye opening...got me on LT as I don't think Army defense will be as good as the Jayhawks and we know Army's offensive is struggling. Good luck this week...

Good writeups s--k - I'll play devils advocate for you as the Mormons almost made my card.

I don't like MTSU's ability to stop the run at all, and if BYU gets out to a comfortable lead early, they will wear MTSU out in the second half pushing them off the line and scoring while running down the clock. Will it be enough? Dunno, but they are definitely built to hold a lead, and grind away a game, getting scores along the way against weak run Defenses.

I don't see Ole Miss stopping Bama this week. Tide should be able to score on the Rebels pretty easily, and Bama's DB's should be good enough to bait Bo Wallace into throwing a few interceptions. His comments to the media this week should be all Saban needs to motivate his guys to come out with fire after last week's shaky showing vs CSU: "We can put points up on Alabama. We can score on anybody."

No problem scdoggy, respect your opinion. I remember a couple games you called that nobody was on, VT-Pitt last year comes to mind.

Obviously BYU runs and runs it well. I have read that Mendenhall really wants to get the passing problems both on Hill's part and the receiver's part improved ASAP. So they could work on the passing game more than one would expect just because they need to improve on it and doing it in game action is better than practice.

Tyronne Nix fell out of good graces with some after Ole Miss tailspun, but I respect him and like him as DC at MTSU. Their D appears to be improved over last year, but tonight will be a test.

Mostly I like this game because of the spread. I can't agree to it being this high, so I might be totally off as it keeps going up. I'll sink or swim with it.

Also, Bama O weapons are scary. Key will be if Ole Miss can cause problems at the line, there is some reason to think they can. If not, agree, Bama will score on them. Play is a confidence/momentum one. I like the personnel Miss has, Bama's is obviously better though. Talk about flipping the switch on and off and on and off over and over, what if they think they can just turn it on one day/night and the juice isn't there? Again, Bama has shown to have vulnerabilities against 'good' teams, just how good Ole Miss is we'll soon find out.

Best of luck to you!

The stuff on LT vs. Kansas was very eye opening...got me on LT as I don't think Army defense will be as good as the Jayhawks and we know Army's offensive is struggling. Good luck this week...

If I'm correct, then I am seeing through the 10 and 15 point offensive outputs to a team that is just missing things by a little, not alot. I think the line is reflective of LT's offensive shortcomings, but I think they can bust out of the rut vs Army. Last week opened my eyes to how much the Army offense is limited.

Hope it all comes together for you tomorrow.

Good stuff s--k. I passed entirely on the BYU game, so I'll pull for you there.

Good luck this weekend

Good stuff s--k. I passed entirely on the BYU game, so I'll pull for you there.

Good luck this weekend

Cool. Thanks.

I don't like when an ass face like Randy Cross just said "Alabama is giving up tons of yards and tons of points, ranked 47th in defense". We know Bama just allowing 8 ppg and about 250 ypg to teams not named Texas A&M. Stupid shit from people like that make me not want to be on the same side as them (didn't listen long enough to actually see if he picked Ole Miss). Anyway, I like Ole Miss, but it isn't because I think Alabama is giving up tons of yards or points this year. You hear some of these people on TV and realize that 99% of them have no fucking idea what they are talking about. How could they say something like that and not be embarrassed for themselves?

I don’t follow FCS much, s so I won’t put too much emphasis on those results. I do follow

but I believe that both Towson and Stony Brook are among the better FCS team True

I think by end of season, Towson will have provn better. But we will find out pretty quickly because they play one another this week.

Great stuff s. . . k. I like it.

gotta read this earlier next week, so I have time to absorb..

great stuff

good lick s..k:cheers:

Tomorrow's another day.

MT D gave as good as they could for me, about what I expected through 3+ qrts. Thought they played the run as good as they could, but had trouble vs Hill, which most do. Forced some TOs which they are good at. Really disappointed with Kilgore. Don't mind them trying to get the run going, but thought at a point they were being stubborn about it when it was not producing. Kilgore had some drops, but he hardly looked like a 3yr starter out there. Back up QB in now and in 2 throws already looks much better, maybe he can deliver miracle backdoor.

I'm going to scratch N Mex, but still play Mia, Fl, FAU and Wazzou. They'll likely be .5u plays.

Interesting that last year on the Farm Wash St held Stanford to their 2nd lowest yardage output of their season and Wazzou nearly doubled Stan's FDs in the 24-17 game. Nunes was QB for Cardinal and the 7 pt margin was courtesy of a 25y pick 6. Stanford also collected 10 sacks! I don't like the line, in fact I hate it, but I find it hard to stay away for some reason. Late game, will be game-time-decision for me, but also afraid the line might keep moving against me. I tend to be more of a Stanford hater than believer. 1-0 against them this year (SJ St).

FAU I'm going for a defensive bounceback. Rice's O did struggle vs Kansas for some reason. Before last week vs MTSU game I would have said that FAU brings the best D that Owls will have played. Doesn't sound the same now, but my belief in their D and seeing Rice lay 2 TDs leads me here. Rice is rarely this big of a fav. Rice as a fav of any number they are just 4-3 L2y+, 1-1 as fav of 14+ (19-7 vs Tulane 2011 -14)(28-6 vs Memphis 2011 -20'). Comes down to if I think FAU is better than the odds makers do. Didn't work out last night with MTSU, try it again here.

Not that line movements typically bother me, but seeing the line dropping on USF does concern me. Who in the world wants USF here? Their QBs are putrid. Have a decent RB and a D that maybe the jury is out on. Have a hard time seeing how they sustain drives and don't think they can stop the U with any consistency. USF is off a bye, if that matters for them I do not know. Maybe if they signed another QB during the off week.

Will update everything soon.

On Wazzou for the very reason(s) you said.
Also Miami F and Fla Atl.
Took FL in a tease with an FCS play
GL

1u
NIU -4
Buff +1
OU -4
LT -3
Miss +14'
Ariz +10
SMiss +29
Cal +38

.5u
Mia, Fl -17'
ECU +12'
Troy +12'
UTEP +14
Tul +13
FAU +14
Ark St +21'
UAB +20

LT fucking steaming sucks, felt like i had to call it in at 3 rather than waiting in fear of 3'. Only actually called in 7 officially, most I'm hoping for line movement in my favor. Wazzou I want, but TBD.

'Zona is a game I thought about all week, I can't explain why I added it exactly. That always happens, always a game that shows up on my sheet that never was there before. And if I can get Az St below 4 I will play them.

Wish I had a strong ML play, but all those dogs I like just with the pts, although I'd think that somewhere will be an upset among those dogs.

On Wazzou for the very reason(s) you said.
Also Miami F and Fla Atl.
Took FL in a tease with an FCS play
GL

Hope it all works out you, and all your FCS plays too.

I need a little luck, need a bounce back week to keep the enthusiasm up.

Back