Roy Jones/Joe Calzaghe Fight Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
S

signalcaller

Just started watching 24/7 last night. One of my favorite shows on TV. Jones seems might focused for this fight. Have not seen Calzaghe fight but he seems like hes a good one. RJJ is my favorite boxer of my life and hope he can pull the "upset" just think he might be a little too slow however. Anyone else have any thoughts.

I saw Calzaghe vs Kessler, he has incredible hand speed, and moves very well.
That gave him a clear win despite Kessler's longer reach and bigger strength, and Kessler is a very good fighter too.

I thought Jones was done after getting beat 3 straight, but moving down to his natural weight class was a smart move and he looked good against Trinidad in January.

I didnt rate Calzaghe that highly mainly because of the shitty Euro boxers he's fought in the past. But against Lacy and Hopkins he proved he can stomp with the big boys.

Gonna be a really good fight and HBO 24/7 did an amazing job of hyping it up as they always do.

Having faced both, Hopkins picks Jones over Calzaghe
Thursday, November 6, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Dan Rafael
Who better to offer insight into the Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones Jr. light heavyweight championship fight Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET) than Bernard Hopkins?
Hopkins, of course, has been in the ring with both of them, so he knows what he is talking about.
In 1993, Hopkins lost a decision to Jones in a fight for a vacant middleweight title, after which Hopkins didn't lose for 12 years.
Hopkins also fought Calzaghe in April, but was outpointed in a very questionable split decision and lost the light heavyweight title. I was ringside and thought Hopkins eked it out, and so did many others.
Regardless of whom you thought won it, they fought a close fight. Hopkins would love a rematch.
As for Jones, he and Hopkins have talked about a rematch on and off for a decade, but it has never happened.
Obviously, whoever wins Saturday, the logical next fight would be a rematch with Hopkins, who looked sensational last month easily dominating middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik.
Hopkins plans to be ringside for the fight Saturday, the same way Jones was ringside for Hopkins-Pavlik and Calzaghe-Hopkins.
Never one to pass up an opportunity to talk, Hopkins took some time out this week to offer his educated opinion on Calzaghe-Jones.
He was not shy about picking Jones, the underdog, to win the fight. I have no idea whether he picked Jones because he's just rooting for him knowing that a rematch with Jones is more likely if he wins than one with Calzaghe. Whatever his reasons, Hopkins sounded pretty firm on his selection.
"Roy can handle the volume of punches," Hopkins said of Calzaghe's output. "He has the ability to neutralize it. Roy's not going to stop it, but he will neutralize it to the point where Joe will fight using a different tactic and see what else he can do.
"I think I exposed to the world that Joe throws a lot of punches -- you can't take that away from him -- but are the punches he throws effective? Does he connect enough to get points? He throws a lot of punches, but not effective punches. That's where Roy beats him by a landslide."
Hopkins said he thinks Jones is a better puncher than Calzaghe, and only a "tad" slower.
"Roy is fast, and Roy can hurt you," Hopkins said. "Once that happens, Joe will realize he will have to give Roy Jones respect. It's not how many punches you throw, it's how hard you hit.
"That's the difference in the end.
"I think Roy Jones wins by unanimous decision. I think he busts Joe up. Roy is two times faster than me, and I had Joe's face busted up. Last time I saw, Roy Jones is faster than Bernard Hopkins. I look for Roy to pot-shot Joe. Roy knows this guy very well. Roy ain't a fool. He's a smart man. He knows who to pick on as far as what they can do and what they can't do. Joe's not a big puncher who can hurt him, so Roy is going to take a lot more chances than he ever took. He saw me fight Joe from ringside. I'm not the biggest puncher in the world, and I put [Calzaghe] on his a-- [in the first round]. Roy knows something. I gave him something to realize about Joe. I think Roy, at the end, with his speed and all-around athleticism, you will start seeing the difference between him and Joe in the middle rounds.
"Joe ain't gonna knock Roy out; he doesn't punch like that. He doesn't put himself in position to knock you out. He's mastered volume. He is a Hall of Famer. He wants to outwork you. But unless Joe comes out and does something out of character, that's the only way [a knockout] will happen. I don't think it will happen that way, like one punch knocks Roy on the ground. But that is not Joe.
"It's going to be a long fight. It will be mainly about conditioning. Who can throw, who can hurt, and who can do it for 12 rounds? It's a big task for both of them."

This isn't the same Roy Jones that B-Hop fought back in the day.

When he was at his most effective, dude was a quick, skillful combo throwing machine. Now a days he's throwing one punch at a time and using more of a defensive strategy.

already got 1.08 units to win 8.10 units on roy jones from underdog(blazers,Grizz,Heat) ml parlays.

will be adding more b4 the fight and parlayin with some NCAFF plays want to have atleast to win over 20 units :shake:

Calz has incredible endurance. threw over 1000 vs Lacy and destroyed his will... Can RJ still bring the endurance? Don't think so.. Calz is living his dream now and RJ lives his a decade ago... Not sure what I end up with but I like Calz and I lean it not going the distance.. Should be a good one:cheers:

GOOD ARTICLE

Boxing: Joe Calzaghe chases his very own Fairytale of New York!

Nov 8 2008 Phil Blanche, South Wales Echo
A MONTH from now the old tune will be dusted down to fill the Christmas airwaves once again.
The Pogues and Kirsty McColl’s classic Fairytale of New York will ring out as ever, but Christmas has come early to Manhattan this year.
Because there's a new fairytale of New York which could play any theatre on Broadway – the Joe Calzaghe story.
Since picking up a pair of boxing gloves for the first time at the age of nine, Calzaghe has always imagined himself fighting at Madison Square Garden.
Calzaghe’s Italian heritage guaranteed there would be a lot of natural support for him in the ‘Big Apple’.
But it was the idea of transferring his talent onto the same stage as ring legends like Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Leonard which has fired Calzaghe's dream all these years.
It is an irony in a world obsessed with celebrity that Calzaghe – one of Wales’ most recognisable figures – has had little time for the TV programmes, parties or film premieres which would have increased his profile further and swelled his bank account accordingly.
During an unblemished 15-year professional career it has just been about the boxing for Calzaghe – the power and the glory.
That’s why when he enters the ring against Roy Jones Jr here in New York in the early hours of tomorrow morning, Calzaghe will feel that he has finally arrived.
Yes, he has packed out the Millennium Stadium and dug deep to beat the dangerous Dane Mikkel Kessler and send 50,000 delirious Welsh fans home happy.
Yes, he has dazzled under Las Vegas’ neon lights and conquered a fearsome Bernard Hopkins.
But the Garden is something else and, even though the suspicion remains that another chapter will be written to this remarkable story, for now Calzaghe believes there is no more fitting end to his career.
“What a fantastic way to finish it off,” he said ahead of attempting to extend his perfect record to 46-0.
“Madison Square Garden is the mecca of boxing, so this is a fairytale ending for me.
“I always wanted to be in this position and now I’ve got to make sure it’s a fairytale result.
“Over the years I’ve struggled with injuries, I didn’t get the big fights nor the respect from the boxing world.
“But my last few fights have been incredible.
“The Millennium Stadium was amazing and it was great to do the Vegas thing, but as soon as I walked into Madison Square Garden I knew I had to fight there.
“Just standing in that venue, looking around and realising what great boxers had boxed there in the past hit me.
“I just knew this was the place to finish off. I’m really excited and can’t wait to get into that ring.
“Hopefully I will leave my mark, fight the best fight I can and win in style.”
In what is billed as the ‘Battle of the Superpowers’, Jones will be trying to prove that the skills which made him an eight-time world champion in four weight classes have not deserted him.
At 39, he is three years older than Calzaghe but the conventional wisdom is that his tank is almost empty, while his Welsh opponent is a young 36-year-old with his speed and reflexes still intact.
Jones, two inches shorter than Calzaghe and conceding four inches in reach, has won his last three fights – the most recent against Felix Trinidad in January extending his record to 52-4 (38 KOs).
But he still carries the baggage of consecutive knockouts by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson in 2004, and you suspect the American boxing public has lost the unshakeable faith it once had in Jones.
Stateside fans are desperately crying out for a new hero, but blue collar favourite Kelly Pavlik was dismantled by Hopkins last month and Jones insists that he and Calzaghe is as good as it gets at the moment.
“Right now, this is the best fight out there,” said Jones, who was named the fighter of the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America.
“You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see.
“There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight.”
Jones has had a confident air about him this week, yet Calzaghe starts as the clear favourite. Just like against the veteran Hopkins, Calzaghe seems to be meeting Jones at the right time.
It’s likely that Jones will have good moments in the fight, probably early on, but the key for the American’s chances is whether he is able to sustain those attacks.
For his part, Calzaghe can count on amazing endurance levels which show no sign of diminishing.
He might never again throw the 1,000 punches he did in destroying Jeff Lacy a few years back, but those trademark flurries which wore down Hopkins should keep Jones on the back foot and Calzaghe ahead on the judges’ scorecards.
I expect Calzaghe to engineer his way to a decisive points victory, take a long holiday and then shelve talk of retirement for one more lucrative pay day.
* MERTHYR light-middleweight Kerry Hope, who was due to fight on the Joe Calzaghe under-card at Madison Square Garden had his contest cancelled at the last minute.
New York opponent Willie Lee failed to make the weight, five pounds over the limit, and the bout was called off.

This is gonna be a sick fight tonite. Can't wait to start hittin the beers.

The undercard is gonna be pretty good as well. Jones boy from Florida is gonna fight. Normally I wouldnt give a shit, but the fact that he looks like a 45 year old 350 pounder should make it pretty interesting.

Cant wait for this shit. RJJ my favorite fighter. Thinking he is fast enough to pull the upset. Just think he outboxes him.

Cant wait for this shit. RJJ my favorite fighter. Thinking he is fast enough to pull the upset. Just think he outboxes him.

I hear that big sig, but if roy goes back to the old one-punch at a time mentality he's adapted after getting ko'd 3 straight times, he won't get it done.

To beat Calzaghe tonite he's gonna have to open it up a bit more, like the old RJJ would often do.

:box:

Gonna head out soon to start the pre drinking but gotta deal with some gold old fashion kfc bucket deal before i make a move.

:cheers:

Should be a decent fight. I don't know who RJJ is kidding though stepping in the ring with this guy. Probably just a set-up for his broke ass to get more money. As all boxers do, besides the smart ones like Oscar who makes millions and still stepped back in the ring. I think Joe pummles RJJ tonight. Cheers mates.

can give round by round in-game if anyone needs it.. Let me know.. Note: I will be somewhat biased.. JC:smiley_acbe:

Back