Rod's Super 14 - Week 1

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
When played correctly, this is without doubt the greatest game on the planet in my humble opinion.

Due to differing opinions with the moderators on the other site I post, CTG is where I will be posting my plays for the entire Union, League and AFL season.

Hope to develop the interest as we progress during the season in each code, beginning with the Super 14 rugby union starting next week. :wacka wacka:

Should be an interesting and fairly even beginning to the season given all the AB's will not be taking part for the first part of the season. :down:

Week 1 Fixtures

Home team stated first. The "Super 14" is essentially a provincial competition made up of teams from Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td> 1. Friday 02 February </td> <td> Blues v Crusaders
</td> <td> Auckland
</td> <td> Fri 2<sup> </sup>Feb 17:35
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 2. Friday 02 February
</td> <td> W Force v Highlanders
</td> <td> Perth
</td> <td> Fri 2 Feb 21:05
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 3. Friday 02 February </td> <td> Lions v Waratahs
</td> <td> Johannesburg
</td> <td> Sat 3 Feb 04:10
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 4. Saturday 03 February </td> <td> Chiefs v Brumbies
</td> <td> Hamilton
</td> <td> Sat 3 Feb 17:35
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 5. Saturday 03 February
</td> <td> Reds v Hurricanes
</td> <td> Brisbane
</td> <td> Sat 3 Feb 20:40
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 6. Saturday 03 February
</td> <td> Sharks v Bulls
</td> <td> Durban
</td> <td> Sun 4 Feb 02:00
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 7. Saturday 03 February </td> <td> Cheetahs v Stormers
</td> <td> Bloemfontein
</td> <td> Sun 4 Feb 04:10
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar with this game, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkbjtAfpNc4

This is what I meant by saying if played correctly, best game in the world for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1_puuceg0

Most awesome sight in world rugby, got to be live to see it though - called the "Haka" which is performed by the New Zealand team before every International match. It is basically the traditional dance of New Zealand's indigenous people, Maoris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uT66Tn0wQM

Rod-

Why did you get "boxed" at Covers? I am stunned, to say the least, and am disappointed you won't be available for the God/Gonzo ingame. WTF is going on there????

Anyway, I'll be over here exclusively for rugby and Aussie Rules now.

Can't wait for S14.

Toronto Mike-

If you can't get a live satellite feed out of Europe, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand, your best bet is to go here:

www.mediazone.com/channel/rugby

You can get a year of rugby there for 99 bucks. I may do it me-self, since the satellite I have doesn't work all the time, and I get tired of having to fuck with it every goddamn night/day I want to intercept a feed.

The 99 bucks may be worth not having the hassle.

Your guess is as good as mine CCL....

Anyway as I mentioned, posting all season plays in here going forward, look forward to the usual chatter from yourself ;)

Rod-

Covers are fools to run peeps like you out the door. You were probably the best poster/gambler on the site. If I ran a goddamn gambling forum, I would roll out the goddamn red carpet for people like you who know gambling up and down, can post winners, can write in perfect English, and don't cause trouble. I don't know what the fuck is up with the world today, goddamn it.

I don't know what the fuck is going on there, but it pisses me off. I'm not in to being boxed there, though, so I got to keep it cool.

Anyway, I'll be here exclusively now for the greatest sport of all.......rugby.

First the other section was used as a dumping ground (and prob still is, havent been there in ages), but when we ask for a Down Under specific section, they hoist the Rugby only one on us, and then use it themselves to dump in?

What a fucking joke. Anyway, their loss is our gain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a feeling the Cuntsaders are going to have the type of season they had 3 or 4 years ago. They lost numerous home games, and when they did win, covered the spread easily (memroy serving correctly). Bout time this outfit struggled.

We've also got the Wellington 7's coming up this weekend, that'll be my focus over the Super 14's 1st round.

BC and Rod-

Help me out here. First match on the ledger is Auckland/Canterbury. No way in hell am I not getting down on it. Do any of you have an early line on it? I am leery that the public will get all over the Blues, and I can't blame them, if you know what I mean. Is it true that the AB contingency is being held out the first 6 rounds? I know from ANZC completed a few months ago that Auckland was clearly superior to Canterbury, but don't know of roster changes, who's fit, etc.....

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Rugby..........the greatest sport.

BC-

It's sad. Unfortunately on Covers, there weren't too many peeps who really followed rugby closely. Outside of Hawksteel and me, I don't know of anyone who followed the sport and posted who lived in North America.

I'd take live rugby over any sport on the planet....no questions asked. And that comes from someone who grew up in an American football culture, who played it, and had it blooded in me from the first day. I like American football, don't get me wrong, but it is nothing compared to rugby (either code).....the greatest sport.

CC - Its usually my pattern to let the first couple of rounds play out to find out whats what. I realise that also means the books getting a better handle on teams as well, but the fact still remains that they (and here I mean especiually the TAB) always oversell the NZ *name* teams anyway.

As far as specific team details go, I'll be scrutinizing the newspaper's sports sections this week to see what I can find out, so anything I come across I think of merit I'll post in here. As far as I'm aware, some ABs do have dispensation to play in the S14, but they're not first choice/team players. Cuntsaders will surely pay for missing McCaw & Carter.

Agree with BC, going to tread carefully first couple of rounds given there are a few more variables to contend with early this season.

BC and Rod-

Help me out here. First match on the ledger is Auckland/Canterbury. No way in hell am I not getting down on it. Do any of you have an early line on it? I am leery that the public will get all over the Blues, and I can't blame them, if you know what I mean. Is it true that the AB contingency is being held out the first 6 rounds? I know from ANZC completed a few months ago that Auckland was clearly superior to Canterbury, but don't know of roster changes, who's fit, etc.....

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Rugby..........the greatest sport.

Blues are paying around the -135 mark, Saders +105 from early signs

One that does interest me a little are the Reds paying +135 against the Canes. Will look into all the games a bit more later in the week.

Rod, i still remember this line you told me a few years back

"What I call footie is rugby for most, non of the Victorian bullshit"

hahaha, i love it

Rod, i still remember this line you told me a few years back

"What I call footie is rugby for most, non of the Victorian bullshit"

hahaha, i love it

But it is true :smiley_acbe:

A lot of negativity on Queensland from my reading so far, so, I like them, of course.

I expect that price on Blues to get steeper.

The Reds backline for the opener does look at little thin which worries me in terms of clocking over the scoreboard, but will finalise closer to the day.

To be honest the Six Nations Week 1 interests me more at this stage, some of the opening lines look a little odd, the Azzurri catching 14.5 at home to the French, when will the books learn that Italy are not the easy beats of prior years :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Had a lot of success playing Reds (home) games to go under their set totals last season .. They kept setting them in the mid 40's despite the Reds' difficulties getting across the line ..

Can't get a bead on 6 Nations.....none at all. Azurri ATS looks so easy I wonder if it's a trap????

Irish/Wales should be a cracker.....will certainly be watching that one.

England.....same old same old. Sad, at least to me.

Initial lean for opening night is: Western Force -6.5 ... Should be a much improved team to last years .. they've put in a pretty torrid pre-season and at home in the heat I think they might do a number on the Highlanders who're of course missing their all black contingent (Anton Oliver and Carl Hayman) and key flyhalf Nick Evans is out through injury .. But above all I think this is a big statement game for Force .. They were the whipping boys in their inaugural season and will be revved to prove themselves right from the get go infront of what is certain to be a huge (and optimistic) home crowd .. The warm conditions in Perth should also suit the hosts ..

The main concern I have is the Force being a little down chemistry wise .. Will their impressive new look lineup struggle in it's first major hitout?

Interested to read others' thoughts ... :shake:

I have a bigger desire to get out on a rugby pitch than I do on a football field again. I really want to play. Soon as I get into law school next fall (and get insurance again), club team here I come. And damnit I'll drink da boot.

Ok guys all season, plays are 1-5 units - aiming to get around +40units for the season across all the codes, so we'll see how we go.

For friday:

Blues -2.5 v Crusaders - (-110) (2.5)

:shake:

S14 Friday:

Match One from 5 Dimes-

Blues -3 -115 over 'Saders (1 unit)

With you Rod. Thought line would be higher, and had it been 5-6, I'd have taken 'Saders, but at -3, I got to go with Blues. Blues, to me, have big edge in pack, and at Eden Park against the big, bad 'Saders, I like the Blues to cover this 3.

Let's get it started, cheers.

Leaning on the Highlanders catching 7.5 points at Subi against the Force - line still looks like it is moving, and given it only starts 2 hours still got a bit of time to decide

Auckland "Freaking" Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blues 34
'Saders 25

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bet for me on the match at Subiaco......am very happy to take my 100 rocks and just be a fan with no stress.

Good work, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlanders +7.5 v Force - (-110) (1.5)

Smaller play then the Blues because to me, getting a positive day regardless of how confident I am on the second play in any sport I bet on is crucial from a confidence perpective. But I do like this one.

Might throw a few coins on the ML as well :shake:

Rod-

Good luck, man, I'll cheer you in on Otago. But, man, no bet for me. Don't need the stress.

I got no problem watching rugby or tennis with no action. Can't say that about any other sport, though.

Alright 2-0 start. Passing on the Tah's-Cats (or whatever the hell they call themselves now) game, but hope my boys do a job on them ahead of the big one next week against the Sharks.

Tomorrow my interest lies with the Chiefs-Brumbies & Reds-Canes games. Also the 2 Six Nations games.

Back tomorrow

On 5 Dimes,

taking:

Lions +8.5 -115 to win 20 dollars, 1/5 unit.

Not a good spot for 'Tahs opening up at Ellis Park with the public all over them.

2 hours 'til we see for sure.

Just caught the highlights of the game - not the best of games but the conditions didn't do any favours for either side.

On to Saturday, my favourite play of the round:

Reds +5.5 v Hurricanes (3)

Jones revolution begins tonight in a scrappy game :smiley_acbe:

:shake:

Also I decided to pass on the Chiefs-Brumbies game - line looks about right even though chiefs are missing a couple of AB backs, they still retain their classy forward pack. That backrow is one of the best going around in provincial rugby anywhere in the world

I watched a bit of Messam in the Air NZ Cup last year, one hell of a talent :cheers:

W/you on Reds. Played Brumbies +5.5 for 10 dollars.....betting it so small is reason why ACT won.

So, playing Queensland for 5 dollars.....lmao.

Reds win easily in the end, Hurricanes were truly awful tonight. Barnes at 10 for the Reds at a great game tonight.

Might be playing "fade the kiwi team" a lot in the early rounds, never thought the day would come.

Sweep them up for the round, two games in South Africa but not really sure I want to be caught up in the bullshit that goes down over there.

Will post if I do make a play otherwise on to next week :shake:

Take the money and run, Rod. 2 local derbies in the Republic.....trouble written all over it, man.

I ain't messin' with 'em. Good luck on 6N, man.

I'm getting on the Poms hard and laying 13.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

---Pink Floyd

Back