Rod's NBA Playoffs 2008/09

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
For the playoffs I will document all my plays in this thread. Units will range up to a max of 5 units. No exception to the rule.

Kick off with a couple of futures:

Magic to win NBA Championship - (+1451) (0.5)
Magic to win Eastern Conference - (+570) (1)

Will break down each series over the next couple of days :shake:

I would LOVE you to be right about the Magic winning the East, though I'd prefer it if Jameer Nelson would be healthy for the Finals.

And I'm not even a Magic fan.

I would LOVE you to be right about the Magic winning the East, though I'd prefer it if Jameer Nelson would be healthy for the Finals.

Ultimately it will most likely be their lack of PG depth that will prevent them to go all the way but I chose to take a flier on them as I believe the injury to KG has opened the door for this team to make it to the ECF final. If they get there anything could happen.

Will see what happens.

Last edited:
GL with the playoffs Rod. Any word on the injured guys (Lewis, Turk, and Nelson)?

Both Turk and Lewis are good to go against the Sixers according to what I have read from Van Gumby. Lewis actually wanted to play against the Bucks but late decision was not to risk him.

"Turk's had very little swelling and no discoloration," Coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I think he could have even played [against the Bucks]."

Nelson is out for the season.

Why in god's name would you want to see that team in the NBA finals?

Both Turk and Lewis are good to go against the Sixers according to what I have read from Van Gumby. Lewis actually wanted to play against the Bucks but late decision was not to risk him.

"Turk's had very little swelling and no discoloration," Coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I think he could have even played [against the Bucks]."

Nelson is out for the season.
:shake:

i like this play on the magic too, also like the rockets on a 1st round series play - no idea the price tho

bol this playoffs rod

Celtics v Bulls

Season Results (Home team first)

Oct 31 Celtics 96 Bulls 80 (Celtics/UNDER)
Dec 19 Celtics 126 Bulls 108 (Celtics/OVER)
Mar 17 Bulls 127 Celtics 121 (Bulls/OVER)

Obviously the big news in this series is the absence of Garnett, most likely for the whole post season. Therefore the pressure immediately is turned to Leon Powe who himself is only coming back from injury after missing 13 games towards the end of the regular season. The timeshare between himself, Davis and Moore has to be effectvie enough to negate Ty Thomas. The only clear advantage I see the Bulls having is at power forward.

No play for me with the series prices, believe it is fairly priced as it currently stands now purely because I don't see the Bulls beating the Celtics in Boston as their road form has been dismal all season.

Game 1:

Statement game time for the Celtics, experts have pretty much written their chances off now that KG is gone. But at home they are still a formidable team against a team that plays markedly different on the road than it does at home - The Bulls average 4.3 fewer points per game on the road and allow 5.1 more points.

Celtics -8.5 over Bulls (3)

bulls and celts are played in the early game...no edge to the fav.

I don't know what that means you are going to have to elaborate.

The Blazers are very raw and Rockets have two quality shot stoppers in Battier and Artest to alternate against Roy. If not for a buzzer beater trey by Roy the Rockets would have swept the Blazers in the season series. Blazers may get game 1 but I'm confident the Rockets go back to Houston at worst with a split in Portland. I think the Blazers are 1 season away from making a serious post season run.

Taking the following series play

Rockets over Blazers - (+120) (3)

I love both your sides today.

I took Rockets to win the title. I believe they are the one team that can match well with pretty much every team in the playoffs.

After the 1st day of the playoffs

0-1 -3 units

All not completely lost with the Rockets laying the beatdown and regaining HCA. Probably a good thing I laid off the other games as I was leaning Spurs -4.

Rod, I just picked up the Rockets at +150 for the series, at SportsInteraction. Tell me that's just wrong that they are still offering that?

Rod, I just picked up the Rockets at +150 for the series, at SportsInteraction. Tell me that's just wrong that they are still offering that?

This was after they won? Must be a mistake but if you can get away with I would pound that for sure.

Although I think the Magic will win this series against the Sixers, the first game presents the Sixers best chance to be competitive in Orlando IMO with both Lewis and Turk returning from injury having not played in over a week. Think it will take a couple of games for the Magic to get their ryhthm back

Sixers +10 over Magic (3)

:cheers:

I like nugs also, cant see them not beating orleans, i think they are too big inside and ahve too much depth for them.

Yep, it was a mistake. They have it voided now, although no money has been credited back to my account.

Ah ok, don't think the current price really presents much value to be honest. Skip them in Game 2 but play them game by game at home and you should be up in the washup :cheers:

It's funny because I think the Blazers have all the tools to make a deep playoff run in the future, they have all the key elements covered IMO to be a successfull post season team

- A go to scorer who can take over when a game is on the line
- Deep shooters
- Inside presence with length and athleticism
- Solid defensively

Just not this season, will be on them to win it all next year.

I like nugs also, cant see them not beating orleans, i think they are too big inside and ahve too much depth for them.

Can't believe I am saying this but that scrub JR Smith is probably the difference between the two teams, just don't see the Hornets getting much offense from their second unit to be competitive in this series.

Not happening for you in Game 2 Mavs game, but I had the Under so it looks like I'm joining you in a loss tonight.

Looking forward to your Tuesday plays.

A couple tonight sorry no time to discuss. Will post my thoughts of the playoffs so far this weekend

o184 Hawks v Heat (3)

Magic -10.5 over Sixers (2)

Will probably play the late game but starting off with the first one tonight

Celtics ML over Bulls - (+140) (3)

One for the moment

Magic -3.5 over Sixers (2)

The emergence of Lee has helped overlook the defensive pressures both Turk and Lewis have had to face in both Game 1 and 2. Can't see both having quiet nights with Lee emerging as a legitimate scoring option of the Magic averaging 21ppg so far and as a result another focus for the Sixers defense.

"Well, we respect him now," [Andre] Miller said of Lee's team-leading 24 points. "We need to put a little more focus on him. He brings confidence; he knows we are going to force him to make plays because we are focusing on Hedo, Rashard and Dwight [Howard]."

One for the moment

Magic -3.5 over Sixers (2)

The emergence of Lee has helped overlook the defensive pressures both Turk and Lewis have had to face in both Game 1 and 2. Can't see both having quiet nights with Lee emerging as a legitimate scoring option of the Magic averaging 21ppg so far and as a result another focus for the Sixers defense.

"Well, we respect him now," [Andre] Miller said of Lee's team-leading 24 points. "We need to put a little more focus on him. He brings confidence; he knows we are going to force him to make plays because we are focusing on Hedo, Rashard and Dwight [Howard]."

Can't see Lee being as big of a threat now that the Magic are on the road but hopefully he is for ya tonight. Lean Magic myself, but can't pull the trigger. BOL tonight Rod.

my boys didn't go that much further than your boys this year Rod, they're both pretty much done and need overhauls. GL with the late play. :shake:

Back