Rockies at Cubs Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Colorado Serving Rockie Road Upset in Wild Card Game at Chicago

The Cubs host the Rockies on Tuesday, 7 ET on ESPN and ESPN 2 in the Wild Card Game. It’s winner take all and the contrarian road dog will pull off the upset.

MLB Pick: Rockies ML

Colorado will trust its best pitcher, Kyle Freeland, (17-7, 2.85 ERA) off short rest. Freeland’s form has been superb, conceding two runs or fewer in nine of his last 11 starts. Freeland is one of baseball’s most profitable pitchers, yielding +15.5 units. The Rockies have won 10 of his last 11 starts. The one loss came in Los Angeles against future Hall-of-Famer Clayton Kershaw.

The southpaw Freeland relies primarily on a fastball-cutter combo. Both pitches comprise 66 percent of his arsenal. They’re his most effective pitches based on opposing BA. The fastball yields a .238 BA, the cutter .202. His fastball is effective due to its combo of glove-side movement and location. He hammers the periphery of the plate that’s inside against lefties and away from righties. He’s able to use the slight horizontal movement to toy with the batter’s perception of whether it will land for a strike or a ball. Either way, the precision makes it insusceptible to good contact.

Freeland he applies the same principal in a more lethal way to his cutter, concentrating its location not only on both peripheries but also low in the zone. He places it with 19.50% frequency in the lowest-left spot in the zone. His cutter’s vertical and horizontal release points intersect closely with those of his sinker. This intersection creates deception that makes the batter struggle to discern which pitch is leaving his hand and to react well.

The Cubs rank 25th in slugging against Freeland’s two favorite pitches, the fastball and cutter, from lefties. As a whole, their team rhythm is mediocre heading into the playoffs. They’re 4-4 in their last eight games, 6-6 in their last 12. They’re not trending upwards as a team. Kris Bryant, for example, is batting .154 in his past seven days. Ben Zobrist, Chicago’s BA leader, is batting only .208 in his past seven days. Anthony Rizzo has been in good form, but primarily against righties. Against lefties, he bats .248. He’s 0-for-6 lifetime against Freeland.

The only concern with Freeland’s lack of rest is that he may not last as long as he usually do. But that’s not a valid concern because Colorado’s bullpen has been one of the best in September, yielding a 2.97 ERA. Adam Ottavino is yielding a .158 BA, Scott Oberg has thrown 4.1 shutout innings in his past seven days, Seunghwan Oh has thrown 4.2 straight shutout innings. Closer Wade Davis has allowed one run in 11 September innings.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kyle Freeland Guys and Gals unite!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rocktober?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Rocktober</a> <a href="https://t.co/hxCAowFYBg">pic.twitter.com/hxCAowFYBg</a></p>&mdash; Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) <a href=" ">2. Oktober 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Cubs will trust Jon Lester (18-6, 3.32 ERA). This seems like a bed decision given his 5+ ERA in elimination games. He’s pitched well lately, but has had the benefit of facing losing teams like the Reds and White Sox. Against three of his last four winning teams, he yielded an ERA of 4.50 higher and against two of them he yielded eight runs. Lester was a beneficiary in the first half of a low ERA, high FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) disparity, but luck has since caught up with him. The Cubs are 1-3 in his last four starts against winning teams.

The southpaw Lester, like Freeland but to a larger degree, relies on a fastball-cutter combo. Both pitches yield slugging rates well above .400. One big problem with them is location. His fastball hits the middle parts of the plate with 5-6 percent frequency. His cutter does so to a lesser degree, but he also commands it poorly, only throwing it with 22 percent frequency for a strike and batters are able to be selective when deciding whether to swing at it.

The Rockies match up well against him, ranking seventh in slugging against Lester’s two favorite pitches from lefties. The Rox show great rhythm despite losing in Los Angeles like they almost always do. Colorado won two out of three in Chicago in the regular season and has won nine of its last 11. Watch for Nolan Arenado, who is slugging 1.115 against the Cubs (1.143 in Wrigley Field) and .862 in his past seven days.

I know it's unpopular and unpopular loses all the time but you don't need me to say what everyone else says and regardless this is just how I see the game, not trying to be contrarian. Pitching match-up, momentum/team rhythm i'd say are two biggest factors.

They act like they are in Wrigley all high and mighty singing their chants and they don’t like it when we drown them out, just so fucking cocky like they are allowing us to be at our own ballpark.

Not sure what the hate is. Talk about a fan base that was oppressed for 100 years with constant futility. I think any fan base in their right mind would react and behave the same after finally winning. It's human nature. As for Cubs fans being everywhere, hate on WGN who broadcasted the Cubs nationally for a very long time, it created nationwide awareness and exposure. Not really something you can hold against the fan base at large.

Freeland on 3 days rest. In his only other career start with 3 days of rest, he allowed a 1.015 OPS, and 178 tOPS+ in 3 innings in a loss. His 4.35 SIERA also suggests he's been a pretty lucky pitcher this year.

I am not on any side. Just offering my opinion.

Well i‘m a Cards fan so I suppose i‘ve seen more of the nasty side of Cubs fans. No fanbase can be completely angelic like the Cards‘ :)

I love days like this seeing other Cards shirts on on campus and saying go Rockies or fuck the Cubs lol

I’m a Milwaukee fan now, on them to win WS :) they playing best ball of anyone imo and just like their offense and pen, these days damn starting pitching, capable clutch hitting and pens carry teams in playoffs.

Still havnt pulled trigger on rox but did jump on the over 7. Feel like there a really good chance at least 1 team has a big inning which outta be enough to get over this number. Freeland on short rest who knows? Lester not been good vs good teams. Cubs pen shot. Still don’t trust rox pen even tho they been good. Somebody gonna have a big inning if not both!

I used to like scrubbies fans but honestly they became unbearable when they started winning some!! Heads got big and attitudes got extreme. Used to enjoy them during cards/cubs games here in stl or at wrigley, now not so much. Go brewers!! Lol

I used to visit my bro in Chicago he moved there for a while and that made me think of the Midwest as this place full of very friendly people who smiled at you on the bus etc. And then there are Cub fans

I used to visit my bro in Chicago he moved there for a while and that made me think of the Midwest as this place full of very friendly people who smiled at you on the bus etc. And then there are Cub fans

lol. They used to be cool then it all changed in that nlds when they beat us. Not like I’m mad they got good, I guess cause they were losers for so long any ounce of humility went flying out the window the minute they got competitive!! Lol

lol. They used to be cool then it all changed in that nlds when they beat us. Not like I’m mad they got good, I guess cause they were losers for so long any ounce of humility went flying out the window the minute they got competitive!! Lol

Losers will always be losers

They gonna learn some humility here in a hurry, if they manage to get by today they be bounced in quick fashion in the nlds me thinks.

This day and age I just don’t see a team without at least a rock solid pen winning. Stros managed to do it by using starters in key pen spots but not lot of teams have a surplus of starters w the filthy stuff they have. Plus several of those Stros who did it wernt strangers to it, don’t think you can just throw any starter into pen roles,

2 of our best pen options are down with injury, Strop and Morrow. No team advances when your best pen options are injured. Stranger things have happened.

2 of our best pen options are down with injury, Strop and Morrow. No team advances when your best pen options are injured. Stranger things have happened.

Yea they just taxed beyond repair. Brewers that team who just playing their absolute best ball at the right time, I think they dismantle the NL on way to WS.

and i have to say that cardinal fans discussing humility is music to my ears.

I’ve always been a level headed fan who more realist than fanatic. I’ve certainly never acted like a obnoxious dbag to other fan bases cause my team was superior. I’m sure that isn’t true about all cubs fans but overall that has been more the case than not in my experiences since they started playing winning baseball (this more a comment in regards to going to games here or at wrigley than anyone I talk w online), really a shame cause I was happy for ya’ll when they got good!! Now can’t wait for them to be back at bottom where they belong! Lol.

don't think that's going to happen for awhile. i think it's fair for cub fans to be pretty exuberant the last four years. the true cub fan has taken decades of shit from damn near everyone, trust me.

Of course I also realize just cause that what kind of fan I am that in no way reflects cards fan base overall, I’m sure a case can be made that overall cards fans obnoxious and unbearable to listen to! Lol (maybe not as much last few years, lol).

don't think that's going to happen for awhile. i think it's fair for cub fans to be pretty exuberant the last four years. the true cub fan has taken decades of shit from damn near everyone, trust me.

I understand that but I was always incredibly sympathetic to scrubbies fans plight!! Always encouraging and hoping they turned things around, I think much more fun when cards and scrubbies both good, plus I was born in Chicago so maybe that part of it..

Yea I don’t see them sinking into garbage again any time soon, not as long as Theo and madden there.

Not sure how being shat on is grounds for being a douche. I mean ofc I tweeted shit to V tech after the loss to odu cause now they can‘t shit on UVA for losing to UMBC. But damn anger and hate just aren‘t fulfilling emotions. I cant imagine going around and spewing shit to fans of other teams. Its just a low way to be

Not sure how being shat on is grounds for being a douche. I mean ofc I tweeted shit to V tech after the loss to odu cause now they can‘t shit on UVA for losing to UMBC. But damn anger and hate just aren‘t fulfilling emotions. I cant imagine going around and spewing shit to fans of other teams. Its just a low way to be

It classless for sure, almost anytime I go to Busch I make it a point of being friendly to opposing team fans if im seated around any. Think it important to represent my city and fan base in a positive way so folks go home thinking how great we are :)

Again unfortunately I’m prob in the minority in that regard but I can only control myself and have enough self respect to not wanna come off as a douche bag :).

Man I remember going to blues/blackhawks playoff games when I was a kid (well in my teens as I was old enough to be dropped off w friends) and couldn’t believe how fan bases treated each other, one year after hawks swept us we were walking outside stadium and there was a chick in front of us wearing a blackhawks Jersey and some drunk moron blues fan comes running up and just blasting her in the nose, shit crazy. Only good thing bout that was he got tackled and beat the fukk down by security or police, forget which, that was funny tho.

Was at the game yesterday. Was a pretty deflating loss. It was like a bizzaro world at the bar after the game as most Cubs fans were standing around talking about the Bears.

Was pretty crazy how many Brewers fans were in the ballpark. I'd be in line and hear loud cheers and not be able to tell if it was something good or bad for the Cubs. Have heard several Cubs fans saying they'd be OK to lose tonight to just be put out of their misery.

Either way, I'll be watching from home tonight, as I don't typically like watching elimination games in public.

when an organization like the cardinals puts broadcasters on the air who say unclassy shit about the cubs, then yeah, you should expect cub fans to give it you back when they're kicking your ass.

when an organization like the cardinals puts broadcasters on the air who say unclassy shit about the cubs, then yeah, you should expect cub fans to give it you back when they're kicking your ass.

Well I suppose if someone thinks talking/acting rudely is justified because they didbf like what a dipshit broadcaster said I shouldn’t be too distressed as clearly I’m dealing w a below average iq.

Was at the game yesterday. Was a pretty deflating loss. It was like a bizzaro world at the bar after the game as most Cubs fans were standing around talking about the Bears.

Was pretty crazy how many Brewers fans were in the ballpark. I'd be in line and hear loud cheers and not be able to tell if it was something good or bad for the Cubs. Have heard several Cubs fans saying they'd be OK to lose tonight to just be put out of their misery.

Either way, I'll be watching from home tonight, as I don't typically like watching elimination games in public.

I was amazed how few cardinal fans appeared to be at wrigley last weekend. Usually it a pretty good mix up there and here in stl when they play. Kinda surprised you saying milw had strong support at wrigley cause I was thinking cubs fans musta been vulturing all the tix.

Wow lets find one jackass and use him as an excuse to say what i want to a bunch of other unrelated people who happen to like the same team. That makes sense

well if you get butthurt over a fan talking some shit, then i'm not going to get too distressed either. i won't bring intelligence level into it tho

Wow lets find one jackass and use him as an excuse to say what i want to a bunch of other unrelated people who happen to like the same team. That makes sense

yep, just one jackass has talked shit to us for the last x years. you guys couldn't go 5 posts without saying scrubbies for fucks sake. the holier than thou shit ain't going to fly, sorry.

well if you get butthurt over a fan talking some shit, then i'm not going to get too distressed either. i won't bring intelligence level into it tho

Nobody was talking about a single fan but larger segments of a fan base.

Last edited:
Back