Road to the Derby 2017

Have Oaklawn and Keeneland capped for both days. Alive in Keeneland Pick 4 to 123689.

Oaklawn P4
2: 13456791112 single 4 $48
3: 39
4: 2356910
5: 245678910 single 8 $54

PAID $1801

Late pick 4:
7: 18
8: 1356891012
9: 13
10: 16712 $64 PAID $483

Hope you guys hit. $166 investment pays $483!

You need to keep this hot streak going until May.
You are straight fire since the tourney.
i will be sure to tune in for your thoughts/plays for Sat & Easter Sunday
Between you, Play, Gandy & Llyod, we here at CTG are very fortunate that you guys post your thoughts & plays. not only plays but information ya'll put out there to help us make our own plays.

Well the king arrived at last. Classic Empire turns in a strong effort in the Arkansas Derby. Conquest Mo Money was solid doing all the work on the front end and punched his ticket if his connections want to go. Here's the current point standings as we await the next three weeks of potential twists and turns:

1. Girvin (Joe Sharp/Mike Smith) 150
2. Classic Empire (Mark Casse) 132
3. Gormley (John Shirreffs/Victor Espinoza) 125
4. Irap (Doug O'Neill/Mario Guttierez) 113
5. Irish War Cry (Graham Motion/Rajiv Maragh) 110
6. Thunder Snow (Saeed bin Suroor) 100
7. Always Dreaming (Todd Pletcher) 100
8. Gunnevera (Antonio Sano) 84
9. Practical Joke (Chad Brown) 74
10. J Boys Echo (Dale Romans) 63
11. State of Honor (Mark Casse) 62
12. Conquest Mo Money (Miguel Hernandez) 60 ~ Requires supplement
13. Tapwrit (Todd Pletcher) 54
14. Malagacy (Todd Pletcher) 50
15. Hence (Steve Asmussen) 50
16. Fast and Accurate (Mike Maker) 50
17. McCraken (Ian Wilkes) 40
18. Battle of Midway (Jerry Hollendorfer) 40
19. Patch (Todd Pletcher) 40
20. Battalion Runner (Todd Pletcher) 40
------------------------------------------------------
21. Cloud Computing (Chad Brown) 40
22. Untrapped (Steve Asmussen) 34
23. Lookin at Lee (Steve Asmussen) 32
24. Sonneteer (Keith Desormeaux) 30
25. Royal Mo (John Shirreffs) 30
26. Local Hero (Steve Asmussen) 30
27. Iliad (Doug O'Neill) 20

Early Derby past performances are out, check the Louisville Courier-Journal for the Brisnet pps. Time to start going through the field one by one. Let's start with a couple of tosses:

Battalion Runner - 20th on the points list. Set a brisk pace in the Wood before yielding to Irish War Cry, but held for 2nd. Figures to set the pace along with State of Honor, Battle of Midway and Conquest Mo Money. Aside from the usually difficulty in wiring a 20 horse field for 10 furlongs, if you follow the Strike System this horse is loaded with them: 1) no graded stakes races before March 31st, 2) no win in a graded stakes race, 3) failed to hold his position in the stretch of his last race, 4) less than six starts. Four strikes puts him in Mine That Bird territory. Hard not to envision a speed and fade scenario for this horse.

State of Honor - 11th in points. Typically a front runner in his previous starts, this horse was beaten out of the gate by Three Rules and the eventual winner Always Dreaming, and while he ran OK to pass Three Rules and hold off a charging Gunnevera for 2nd, his final 1/8th was over 13 seconds which is not a winning sign. Top speed number of 97 is lacking (looking for 100 or more) and top class rating of 119 is also short (looking for 121 or more). Worst of all, has lost ground to the winner down the stretch in all six of his two turn races. This one figures to be no better than 3rd heading to the first turn and dropping away down the stretch.

More to come.

I am torn about Tepin retiring. My heart knows it is the right decision and far too many of these horses continue running past their prime like most recently California Chrome 1 race too many.

But the selfish side of me will truly miss her, as I was able to latch onto her early on at 9-1 before she was "Queen Tepin" and followed her ever since. Catch a Glimpse may not be far behind, but Dickinson is the next up and comer in that division.

Nice horse, but she beat me in the Just a Game in 2015 when I had Filimbi and Discreet Marq both at 7-1, cost me a very nice pick 4 when Honor Code came in at 7-1 and Slumber won at 14-1 before Pharoah blew the roof off as an easy single in the Belmont. So naturally I'm not sentimental about her.

Nice horse, but she beat me in the Just a Game in 2015 when I had Filimbi and Discreet Marq both at 7-1, cost me a very nice pick 4 when Honor Code came in at 7-1 and Slumber won at 14-1 before Pharoah blew the roof off as an easy single in the Belmont. So naturally I'm not sentimental about her.

That was the day I had her on top, haha and helped a really good P4 despite Pharoah winning.

I rolled into the pick 3 after that, so between that and the Triple Crown I was content. I'll say this, I've been to the Ryder Cup (which was really cool), NFL Playoffs that went to the wire, MLB Playoffs, NHL Playoff overtimes, the Final Four, even the Derby....I have never experienced a roar like the one I heard when Pharoah hit the stretch. Un-real. 37 years of frustration unleashed in about 30 seconds.

Defections starting, Conquest Mo Money will not supplement into the Derby, opting instead for Pimlico.

I rolled into the pick 3 after that, so between that and the Triple Crown I was content. I'll say this, I've been to the Ryder Cup (which was really cool), NFL Playoffs that went to the wire, MLB Playoffs, NHL Playoff overtimes, the Final Four, even the Derby....I have never experienced a roar like the one I heard when Pharoah hit the stretch. Un-real. 37 years of frustration unleashed in about 30 seconds.

I got goose bumps and my eyes welled up, and so did my dad. Just complete goose bumps, when he did it convincingly.

Back