RGIII Total Knee Reconstruction Surgery Needed

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
Chris Mortensen ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>mortreport
Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of <s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(173, 102, 102);">@</s>RGIII's 2009 surgery is complete tear

Expand

<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">27m</small>Chris Mortensen ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>mortreport
Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

Shanny may have just ruined his best chance of winning for the next 5 years.

Years RG3 plays over under

3?

Pretty rare to tear the same knee you already had a total reconstruction on.

once upon a time, ClubDirt had the same two surgeries RG3 had, and is having, and around the same times as RG3 in his life. and while ClubDirt was operating at a slightly lower level than RG3 prior to the surgeries, probably immeasurable to the naked eye, that production dropped off significantly after the second reconstructive knee surgery. it was fun while it lasted, but i highly doubt RG3 will be the same.

RG3 will NEVER be the same....he was NEVER gonna last....unfortunate b/c he was one of the greatest talents we've seen in the NFL in a great long while. Way ahead of Cam, way ahead of Vick. He is dominant off of a simple playbook. Sad Sad day. Shannahan blows the big one.

The surgery has come a very very long way in the past five to ten years, especially the recovery times, but isn't 6-8 months being awfully opromistic? Adrian Petersons recovery time from a total reconstruction of two ligaments was 8 months and he is basically a total freak of nature. He is also the poster child for recovery at this point. To say that RG3 will have the same quick recovery from this is quite a stretch IMO.

This is a damn shame that it came to this if any of this could have been avoided.

He may return to form but it sure as hell won't be next season IMO. Most of the time these guys return to form the following season.

AP also sets a horrible precedent to idiot sports fans. What AP has done is borderline superhuman. You don't destroy your knee completely and somehow comeback 'better' the next year. Sure, the surgery has come a long way, but that's in terms of recovery time and quality of life. That's not, 'hey, no problem, you'll be back as a starter in the NFL by the start of next season.'

I root for the best case scenario. I'm a Birds fan and, hell, RGIII was one of the best parts of the watching the all of NFL this year. But the odds are he won't be the same again. I really hope I'm wrong, but this ain't good.

AP's recovery time for his injury was in the normal time frame, what wasn't normal was he came back and challenged for the yards record so quickly.

RG3 will NEVER be the same....he was NEVER gonna last....unfortunate b/c he was one of the greatest talents we've seen in the NFL in a great long while. Way ahead of Cam, way ahead of Vick. He is dominant off of a simple playbook. Sad Sad day. Shannahan blows the big one.

holy hyperbole batman!

The ironic thing is every time Robert got hurt this season it was due to a play where the pro style was run. It was never during the option read. Most of them occurred when he left the pocket and decided to run the ball on his own after not finding anyone open or the pocket collapsed on him.

Maybe the Redskins will spring for some new turf when RGIII comes back. Not that his injury was necessarily caused by that field, but it's a monstrosity. No excuse for an NFL team (with a billionaire owner who spends money like his life depends on it) to have a field in that condition week in and week out.

You'd think that Snyder would do any and everything in his power to get the best possible turf/sod known to exist. I'd like to know how many players actually get injured on that field every year, and if the number is significantly higher than it is in other NFL stadiums.

Last edited by a moderator:
That field, Pittsburgh and Chicago's are embarrassments

Yep. Don't forget Oakland and SF either. Those are the top 5 worst fields in the league (Wash, Pit, Chi, SF, Oak in no particular order). Why doesn't the league have a standard that needs to be met for playing surfaces? Since they claim they are all about players' safety and all.

Obviously, weather will have a factor on field conditions at certain times, and for certain games, but the fields we have mentioned are never in good shape and, as you said, are an embarrassment to the league.

Jerry came back after 14 weeks after an ACL and MCL

everyone forgets b4 AP, the best receiver in history was tough too

Lets not forget Clemons was also injured on this field and tore his acl, he went off about it and said its a joke to say the least. what a shame.

grass wont grow at that time of the year by yall. Have field turf....simple

Apparently injuries happen more on the field turf than on grass, but I thought the same thing. The NFL makes 9 billion dollars a year, they can probably afford to have the field re-sodded each week. Doesn't really matter if grass grows or not when you just replace it each week. (I'm not even sure that would work, just throwing ideas out there)

Apparently injuries happen more on the field turf than on grass, but I thought the same thing. The NFL makes 9 billion dollars a year, they can probably afford to have the field re-sodded each week. Doesn't really matter if grass grows or not when you just replace it each week. (I'm not even sure that would work, just throwing ideas out there)
I was under the impression that the new shit is better...not astro turf, but the shit the Saints etc have

What will it take for Redskins to fix FedEx Field's turf problem?

The shoddy conditions at FedEx Field during Sunday's wild-card game between the Seahawks and Redskins have already been well documented here at Eye on Football and around the interwebs. But there's more (there's always more).

Seattle fullback Michael Robinson provided the damning video documentation, as well as this assessment: “You care about us, but we play on that field last week that was like, ‘Really? Really?'” he told USA Today. “That should be illegal. That's like working in a sweat shop to me.”

That's overstating it a tad -- unless he's also forced to make iPhones while he's traipsing around the field -- but Robinson wasn't alone in his criticism.

“It was probably the worst field I've ever played on,”defensive lineman Alan Branch told SiriusXM NFL Radio (via the Washington Post). “They painted the dirt green so it looked like grass. It was like dried chunks of dirt that was flying everywhere. When you get to playing, you definitely block it out, but it's a huge topic before the game. [We were] bringing extra sets of cleats just to see which ones are the best footing for you. I mean, you do have to play to the elements, and whatever the field is at. We got the notice [from trainers], but a lot of us were watching that Dallas-Washington (Week 17 game), and it was evident there, so we definitely already knew about it.”

And the NFLPA was concerned enough to to call on the Redskins to replace the playing surface.

"The head coach and players themselves have said that the field was not up to snuff," NFLPA spokesman George Atallah told USA Today. "We certainly hope that they upgrade it."

Here's the thing: FedEx Field has always been a mediocre-or-worse track. In 2011, an NFLPA survey of players ranked FedEx Field 11th out of 18 grass surfaces.

On Sunday, Robert Griffin III wasn't the only player seriously injured. The Seahawks lost defensive end Chris Clemons to an ACL injury, which prompted his agent to call the conditions "crappy."

The great irony: it's the exact same description Redskins owner Dan Snyder used 14 years before when referring to the stadium's turf. In 1999, Sports Illustrated's Peter King profiled Snyder, then the team's new owner.

"Snyder is getting his point across,” King wrote at the time. “He began his reign by firing 26 employees -- 13 in stadium operations, 10 in team operations and three groundskeepers at Redskin Park.

"‘The stadium had out-of-control costs,' says Snyder, who claims that the fired stadium staff wasted about $800,000 in utility costs this year. ‘They were running the air-conditioning in the offseason needlessly in the suites and club seats. At Redskin Park the fields were in bad shape. There were three guys trying to kill the players with their crappy fields, so I brought in the head of the grounds crew at the stadium to oversee the fieldwork. Shame on me for trying to make the fields perfect.'”

Now the question is whether Snyder does anything about it. Coach Mike Shanahan said he'd consider an artificial surface, although at least one NFL study found that "certain serious knee and ankle injuries happen more often in games played on the most popular brand of artificial turf than on grass."

There doesn't appear to be an easy solution, particularly if Snyder isn't willing to fork over the dough for improvements -- a ridiculous notion given all that he has invested in Griffin. Then again, the man's on record as calling the conditions "crappy" -- and that was 14 years ago. Maybe the thought of being just one play away from the return of Rex Grossman will finally motivate Snyder to do something about it.

does baltimore have field turf? field looked fine there on sunday

It does. I think field turf is the answer, but this study has me wondering if it's really that much safer. Although most anything has to be safer than the dirt they paint green in Washington.

yeah, i would guess the sample size is fairly small for the games played specifically on dirt

yeah, i would guess the sample size is fairly small for the games played specifically on dirt

lol.

And even less for dirt fields painted green. Because there are/were a few stadiums that had baseball fields on them, but they didn't try to hide the dirt.

Pretty rare to tear the same knee you already had a total reconstruction on.

Pretty sure Jamal Lewis did this. Once while at Tennessee; once with the ravens.... If I'm not mistaken.

I agree that FedEx Field's surface sucks - but I hope they don't go to field turf.

Am I the only one who hates watching games on field turf? Especially in rain/snow. I like watching those games played in the mud, snow and shit. Guess I miss the grass stains....

I agree that FedEx Field's surface sucks - but I hope they don't go to field turf.

Am I the only one who hates watching games on field turf? Especially in rain/snow. I like watching those games played in the mud, snow and shit. Guess I miss the grass stains....

I miss football in the elements too. I despise Artificial Turf and despise Domes even more. Game is meant to be played outside on grass.

I think there is a market opportunity in a couple of years for another investment group to take a shot at a football league. The NFL product is getting more stale by the year and the more they turn it into two-hand-touch or flag football, the worse it gets.

Unfortunately, RG3 was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch play the game. I like the man too ( from what I know about him ) so I wish him a good recovery for both his sake and for those of us that love watching him play ... even if it is for the redskins ( theisman to raider linebacker ftw ).

As for Shanahan. Guy has been a weasel his entire career so nothing surprises me with him. He gets a brand new set of steak knives everytime he gets a new job in the nfl and when he leaves town they are spread out judiciously in the backs of others. He is a rat-weasel and even looks the part.

If we really care about player safety, we probably shouldn't be playing tackle football, just saying....

Right, but since that's the game, they could at least try to make a real effort and make it "safer." Some of the fields would be a start. They could also look into making it mandatory for every player to have the Kevlar insert that Harrison and other Steelers have been using this year. They have all said that they "haven't seen stars" since wearing the insert. Why wouldn't it be mandatory if it makes even a slight improvement?

They could also make sure that players are wearing their fucking mouth guards, and not just having them inserted into their facemasks on most plays. It also seems that players' helmets pop off of their heads more now than I can ever remember....maybe they aren't wearing them correctly or they aren't fitted properly. Some guys don't even have their chinstraps done up half the time. These things may just be trivial, but the mouth guard and the helmet are pretty much all they have "protecting" them from hits to the head....maybe they should be using them properly. Of course this wouldn't solve the problem by any means, but any little bit of safety measures they can take could/should help.

We could have it on grass and just not have football where the grass doesn't grow in Nov/Dec.
Suits me.

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that there is "much greater concern" about Robert Griffin III's reconstructed right knee than Griffin or "anyone connected to the Redskins" has let on.

Griffin will end up rehabbing both knees because surgeons were forced to use a patellar tendon graft from his left knee in order to fix his right. He tore the ACL, LCL, and partially tore his meniscus in the right knee. Per PFT's source, the "biggest concern" is with Griffin's knee cartilage. Due to two knee constructions and ultimately three surgeries since 2009 at Baylor, there is concern "about how much (cartilage) remains and how long it will last" in Griffin's knee(s). A potential end result could be a bone-on-bone condition, which can lead to microfracture surgery and/or shorten a football player's career.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that there is "much greater concern" about Robert Griffin III's reconstructed right knee than Griffin or "anyone connected to the Redskins" has let on.

Griffin will end up rehabbing both knees because surgeons were forced to use a patellar tendon graft from his left knee in order to fix his right. He tore the ACL, LCL, and partially tore his meniscus in the right knee. Per PFT's source, the "biggest concern" is with Griffin's knee cartilage. Due to two knee constructions and ultimately three surgeries since 2009 at Baylor, there is concern "about how much (cartilage) remains and how long it will last" in Griffin's knee(s). A potential end result could be a bone-on-bone condition, which can lead to microfracture surgery and/or shorten a football player's career.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Ive seen couple doctors opinions that said a second surgery isn't any more of a concern than the first one.

Back