Rexy's Week 9 CFB & Breeders Cup 2015 plays...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Sup fellas. I don't have time to hop to the horse forum and back with the stress i'll be under for the next 48 hours so all BC shit will be in here throughout that time frame. So you won't be getting writeups either, but you can ask me about any game and i'll get to it when I can.

I realize that these two teams in the big FS1 game tonight have played some close ones but the last buddy of mine who finally got his final updates with numbers done makes it 19, which is higher than my 17. It's a lay at the 13 level.

The play: 112 TCU -13 small to med 1.5u.

GL to us all this weekend!

:shake:

Walters really did some work with 129 UMass, getting them other guys to bet Ball State earlier etc. Took out all the 3 flat now.

do you have an opinion on EMU now at the 19 level? or on TNF, but I assume that is off the radar currently

Pinny moved 3 points on it in 20 minutes. Got me nervous on N.C...have over at 55 too but someone was real patient on the side. Here in the DR we call that "un palo asechado"....hmmm

I made WMU 20 so would have never been involved there.

I made UNC 1.5 there and while I did chart a sharp guy or two on Pitt, i didn't see anyone i overly respect on them in the pph places.

2H Oregon +3 +113 medium 2u play

The first of the two-day, 13-race Breeders’ Cup card is for 2-year old colts (and geldings). Cymric (13) is trained by legendary John Gosden and ran a good second in a Group 1 on Arc Day and can win on soft ground, which the Keeneland grass apparently will be. The outside horse (14) Hit It a Bomb is probably the second-best, coming from the strong Aiden O’Brien barn; he’s won on soft footing and has good early speed. These two horses, interestingly enough, have been racing in Europe but were bred in Kentucky. The Keeneland turf course gives the outside horses a big disadvantage running into the first turn. Each of the aforementioned trainers have won this race twice in its eight-year history, and jockey Ryan Moore (Hit It a Bomb) has won it twice as well.
Trainer Mark Casse has had a great month at Keeneland, trains the 2-for-2 Airoforce (8), perhaps the best U.S.-based colt. His other horse, Conquest Daddyo (10), sports the highest overally Beyer Speed figure and best last-race BRISnet fig. Rail horse Dressed in Hermes (1) is off a two-turn stakes win and a bullet local work last Friday; ultra-conservative trainer Barclay Tagg ships in Highland Sky (5), who also comes in off a great work after having a tough trip last out.

I am using combinations with the 1-5-10-6-13 and it will be very small exactas and tris only because if it hits, it'll likely blow up the board.

Matchups:

Conquest Daddyo -120 for 1.5u vs Azar
Birchwood even for 1u vs. Shogun
Camelot Kitten -170 for 1u vs. Hollywood Don

Back for the 7th in a bit...

The most trying race configuration on the Keeneland oval is the Dirt Mile. The horses will be running a mile and 70 yards (the 70 yards gives horses “ample” time to get to the first turn) on the mile-long track. This race figures to again favor horses starting to the inside; those from about post 7 out will be compromised in the 11-horse field. Either they’ll have to gun it to get position, or settle back and save ground. Unlike many other races on this card or Saturday’s however, most folks see the same horses as the chief threats to win.
Odds-on favorite Liam’s Map (3) should beat these like a drum considering he was probably going to be in the top half of betting choices in the Classic on Saturday. He decided to tackle this decidedly weaker field. His speed will be tough to catch. Lea (5) is one horse who could threaten if at his best, but he’s not been close to the same horse he was when he popped that 114 Beyer figure in the Donn Handicap 21 months ago. That said, he's faced the best of the best for each of the last two years. If you buy his class, then you have to give him a chance. Looking at the tote, too many like Lea and he is one of the few that has gotten bet down along with the favorite.

One of my best friends said "Don't bet the horse that should win; bet the horse that CAN win".

So I'll look elsewhere.

Trainer Steve Asmussen is excited about Tapiture (9) and at this price i'll try him. Red Vine (1) is an interesting horse at generous odds, as well, though it's tough to see him fitting in with these, class-wise. War Envoy (7) looked great in the post parade.

I'll use 9-7-10 on top of the 3 in exactas... 9-7-10 while keying 3-5 underneath in exactas and supers as well. I'm throwing out Wicked Strong (8). 0-for-7 this year, gotta beat someone...

matchups:

Valid +145 vs. Wicked Strong - 1.5u
Mr. Z -120 vs. War Story - 1u

Six of the 15 entries in the Juvenile Fillies Turf are or were based in Europe, so there will be some unknowns there. One horse, the (9), Nemoralia, took an opposite route to get to this race. She shipped from Arlington over to Europe and raced between six and seven furlongs in Great Britain four times before coming back to the states to make her debut on dirt in the Grade 1 Frizette. Back on the grass, she retains Joel Rosario. Jeremy Nosada is the conditioner; he was a longtime assistant to John Gosden and has numerous Group 1 wins.
The inaugural running of this race was in 2008 and last year’s win by Lady Eli was the first time a post-time favorite had ever won the race. The shortest priced winner before last year was the $14.20 score to win by Stepanie’s Kitten.

The Keeneland turf has played “fair” to this point in the meet, with 17 racing days from Oct. 2-24, with the most success coming from the runners who have come from just off the pace to mid-pack. It will be interesting to see if there is a bias at play on Friday and Saturday.

American-based 2-year old fillies won the first four races of this event before the Euros won the next two at the Santa Anita course. With the cooler temps expected and a possibility of wet grass, the Euros could have an edge in Lexington.

Some interesting options include the European duo of Alice Springs (3) and Illuminate (10). Harmonize (8) went eight-wide in winning the Grade III Jessamine over this course by going about nine-wide and circling the field earlier in the month and could end up as the favorite. Catch a Glimpse (4) has posted the highest Beyer rating here, but might not get loose up front with Ruby Notion (5) pressuring her. Ruby Notion has won all three sprint starts in the states, although she might not get the distance.

You will see me say this a lot over the next two days, but after what Ward did at Santa Anita last year (6 starts, 2-3-1), you can be sure I'll be hammering him, especially if he gets overlooked at the windows in favor of Chad Brown and others.

The plays: 5 Ruby Notion WPS, 9 Nemoralia WPS
EX: 5/9 with 5/9/10/3
TRI and SUPER: 5/9 with 5/9/10/3/4

Matchups:
Alice Springs -155 over Harmonize 2u
Ruby Notion +135 over Sapphire Kitten 1.2u
Illuminate even over Harmonize 2u
Nemoralia +130 over Catch a Glimpse 1.5u

There might not be a more wide-open race in all of the Breeders’ Cup races than the 2015 Distaff. It’s a full 14-horse field going to post and the connections of no less than half of the starters think they have a good chance to win the race.

That being said, favorites have won 13 of the previous 31 editions of the Distaff, and Wedding Toast (7) would certainly make sense here. She won the Beldame by wiring the field last out; that race has produced five of the last nine winners of this one. She did the same two back in the Ogden Phipps and those two races represent the only two triple-digit Beyer ratings in the entire field. Eight of the last nine winners of this race have at least two 100-plus Beyer numbers, so she would be the lone chance to extend that streak.

Curalina (8) is an interesting option; she could not get to the favorite in the Beldame with the winner taking advantage of a speed-favoring track that day. She’s had three good works and gets the capable Joel Rosario to ride for trainer Todd Pletcher.

I’m a Chatterbox (1) figures to attract strong attention at the window, with her only finish outside the exacta was a good third in the Kentucky Oaks back in May; she should track behind all of the speed in here. Stellar Wind (9) seems a wiseguy horse from some of the backside talk I’ve heard this week. Got Lucky (12) looms a dangerous threat for Pletcher and jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. and loves Keeneland. Stopchargingmaria (4) threw in a clunker last out but has won 8-of-15 in her career and has been training sharply over this surface.

A full field of 14 is expected to start, with outsider Peace And War (15) drawing in after Untapable spiked a fever and was scratched.

After going over the race a bit more carefully, I'm inclined to throw out all of the 3-year olds. Untapable would have won the 2015 Kentucky Oaks by 7 lengths or so. Yet she lost five times in six tries this year against fillies her age and older. The sheer talent of the 4- and 5-year olds compared to the youngsters has me throwing them out. I'll use Got Lucky on top, with Sheer Drama (14) as my key underneath. She's one of the older mares in here, yet has scored twice in a row against Grade I company.

Let's try: 12 Got Lucky - to Win and Show

EX: 12/14 with 12/14/10/2/7
TRI 12/14 with 12/14/10/2/7 with 12/14/10/2/7

A little worried about the four wrecking things, but hey, you can't bet 'em all...GL

Matchups:

Stopchargingmaria +110 over I'm a Chatterbox - 2u (yes, this is a hedge against the parimutuel stuff)
Sheer Drama +130 over Wedding Toast - 1u
Got Lucky -125 over Stellar Wind - 2u

Typical... win some on the matchups get mauled on the mutuels. Let's hope tomorrow is better.

2H Louisville -7 flat med to big 2.5u

Wake 2 longest plays of year came in this game one missed tackle other coverage breakdown, sombrerito came after U of L botched a punt and they also fumber another punt inside 10 and gave up opening field goal that way

UNDER i would like at the opener but don't jive too good with the opener and to be honest there is a correlated parlay on U of L and OVER at this point

Need to post this now, as I mentioned it in the other thread and had to scurry to get it but against BW on 185.

Laid 2.5 on Florida Internacional med to big 2.5u, as I made this game way higher and not even sure about FAU QB health. Homefield means next to zero.

Was gonna wait to see how long i could wait out this Memphis State and Tulane. looks like it's finally topped out.

This is a Doctor Tim "hold your nose" special...

197 Tulane +31.5 medium.

Line is just way too high, i don't care if they lose by 50.

i hope this twunt coach for Utah State dies in a fire. What a real cocksucker to throw the ball 50 yards downfield up by 30 in the 4Q. A backdoor is impossble when teams resort to that. I will get these maggots, they fucked me 2h Boise also two weeks ago. Lost 5 figs so won't get it all back but it's coming to these **** in spades.

not to mention wyoming punting several times right around the 50 yard line down 30 in the 4th quarter. It's not like you can stop them, so why punt and postpone the inevitable? i'm pretty sure utah state didn't punt one time.

i hope this twunt coach for Utah State dies in a fire. What a real cocksucker to throw the ball 50 yards downfield up by 30 in the 4Q. A backdoor is impossble when teams resort to that. I will get these maggots, they fucked me 2h Boise also two weeks ago. Lost 5 figs so won't get it all back but it's coming to these **** in spades.
yeah was horse shit
after wyoming punched it in on 4th n 2 late in the 3rd i figured we would be good

utah st put the damn peddle down again for no reason

well wyoming could have tackled somebody too in the 2nd half. ughh

Skipping the first at Keeneland. I'll be involved in the second; a Breeders' Cup-class level race (like yesterday's Marathon) that simply doesn't have a spot on the card - it's the Juvenile Dirt Sprint, which has never been contested as far as I am aware.

I'll try Ward for all parts of the tri and Super. You'll see me on a lot of his horses again today. Moment Is Right (7) won his first two, then got caught setting hot fractions at the Spa and lost to a bias favoring closers that day. I'll use him on top; but also like favored Sheikh of Sheikhs (4), and Banree (6), all Ward horses. I can make a case for Dan The Go To Man (5) as well...

Play: 7 to win and show
7/4 with 7/4/5/6 underneath in exactas, tris and super

Onto the third, the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies - post for that one is at 12:05 pm EDT.

At least for one race, to set the tone for the Breeders’ Cup Saturday card, we get a west coast/east coast showdown. The top fillies from each coast are undefeated and should go off as the two top choices. Songbird (10) will break from the outside in the 10-horse field and will be compromised early in the 1 1/16 race but won in frontrunning fashion by almost five lengths in a Grade I last time out at the same distance they’ll run today.

The best from the east is Rachel’s Valentina (9), who is 2-for-2 in one-turn races, winning the 7-furlong Spinaway last out. The daughter of former champions Bernardini and Rachel Alexandra has won both of starts coming from off the pace, whereas Songbird has never trailed at a single call in her three races.

Nickname (7) won the Frizette four weeks back at Belmont; that race has produced 11 winners of this one and is the key prep. Tap to It (2) and Land Over Sea (1) drew the best and are the only others that aren’t 10-to-1 or higher in the morning line.

Considering 17 favorites have won this race, are the others even worth mentioning? Believe it or not, the last two years the winners paid $125.40 and $66.60 on $2 win mutuels, so nothing’s a given. Three of the last five winners have wired the field in this race, so whoever is leading going into the first turn could well turn that trick again, although Keeneland doesn’t have nearly the same speed bias that it did 10 years ago before it went to polytrack (the main track at Keeneland went back to dirt last year).

Play: 10 to win only
10 on top of 8/1/9 on exacta, tri, super

The Breeders’ Cup added the Turf Sprint in 2008 when it expanded its card, and it’s likely the most exciting minute of the entire weekend, although not quite as dramatically as when they run it down the Santa Anita hill. Bobby’s Kitten (2) became the first 3-year old to win this race last year, coming from last and not even in the TV picture to charge through and get just one call from the track announcer before going by them all in the last furlong.

The defending champion is coming off an abbreviated and disappointing campaign, finishing seventh and ninth in his only two starts of the year. While the last three winners of this race have come from out of the clouds, two winners have also gone gate-to-wire. It’s a 16-horse field, so one would think anything can happen, yet the favorite has been in the exacta in five of the last six editions (none of that has ever been good for me personally!).

So who looks capable? Lady Shipman (5) is going to be the favorite, and her 7-for-9 mark on the year is impressive. This will be her first start against the boys. Undrafted (3) and Marchman (11) are the only two returnees from the 2014 edition of this race. Undrafted has been training sharply for the Wesley Ward barn that had all of its entries fire in the BC last year – he ran third last year by less than a half-length and was the lowest-finishing of the six Ward entries (two wins, three seconds and a third). The Great War (10) and Green Mask (7) are his other two in here, so don’t be surprised…

Pure Sensation (1) gets the rail and is coming off a sharp score in the Grade III Turf Monster Handicap in Philadelphia. No Silent (9) won the Grade III Eddie D. down the Santa Anita hill in his last prep. That's half the field already. Sheez.

Ready for Rye (12) has won three straight and is 2-for-2 on grass, and Mongolian Saturday (14) has hit the board in 10 straight starts. Tough tough race to handicap.

Playing: 3 across the board
Exactas: 3/10/7 with 3/10/7/12/14/2/5
Trifectas: 3/7/10 with 3/7/10/12/14 with 3/7/10/12/14

Another 2014 champion returns to defend a title in the Filly & Mare Sprint, which has never been won in gate-to-wire fashion. Judy The Beauty (11) was a game second in this race two years ago for trainer Wesley Ward before scoring at Santa Anita last fall. She’s had just two starts since May and was the beaten favorite last out in a Grade II, but was only prepping for this spot.

No 3-year old has ever won this race; they are 0-for-17 in the eight previous editions. This would seem to eliminate Super Majesty (6) and Cavorting (14), but the filly breaking from the far outside in the full field is the morning-line favorite at 3-to-1. She got caught five-wide in winning the Grade I Test at Saratoga in August at this distance. She’ll be well-backed at the windows for popular conditioner Kiaran McLaughlin.

La Verdad (4) has won six straight, but will be stepping up in class against these; she beat Dame Dorothy (2) in the G-II Gallant Bloom last month at Belmont when Dame Dorothy lunged at the gate, tracked the early pace and finished solid for third. There is enough speed in here for her to settle back and make a move in the stretch. Wavell Avenue (7) ran second in that race. Taris (3) has been targeting this spot and she could be dangerous at double-digit odds for jockey Gary Stevens and trainer Simon Callaghan.
Plays: watching the tote for win play
Exactas: 2/3 with 2/3/11/13
Tris: 2/3 with 2/3/11/13/14 with 2/3/11/13/14

Just three of the 16 winners of this event have been 3-year olds, and they’ve all been European. Another one fits the bill in 2015, and it’s the favored Legatissimo (3). She’s won multiple Group 1 races this year and is just a couple of noses from coming into this spot on a six-race winning streak. She has shown she can win on any footing, gets Lasix and has beaten older this year.

Looking at the rest of the Euro invaders (there are a total of eight in this 14-horse full field), Miss France (9) figures to have the best chance of upending the chalk. Andre Fabre’s filly has run second in four straight but can handle any type of ground and figures to fire in her third off the bench. Secret Gesture (12) actually won the Beverly D. at Arlington after going 1-for-2 in 2015 over in Europe but a shoddy ride from Jamie Spencer got her disqualified to third, behind Watsdachances (7) and Stephanie’s Kitten (11). Both of those are Chad Brown horses; he has won two of the last three runnings of this race and US horses have won 10 of the 16. The latter appears to be the best American chance in here (10-to-1 ML).

Brown’s best chance, though, is probably Chilean invader Dacita (8), who came off an eight-month break to win a Grade II in her US lidlifter. She won three Group 1 races back home and should figure prominently.
Plays: to win, watching the tote for 3 or 8
Exactas and Tris: 3/8 with 3/8/9/12

Can't believe I forgot to post that.

Yes, I'm on 125 We Are Marshall -16.5 big 3u. I think maybe i mentioned in the major line moves thread, but yes, that is a play.

Charlotte an autofade every week for me too. Not sure why walters hit them but i believe he got them right a few weeks ago against old dom

The fastest of the fast dirt horses in the world take to the Keeneland oval; sometimes the speed can outlast them all as it did for 2014 winner Work All Week. If likely favorite Runhappy (5) breaks badly (dead last) like he did in his last two starts, he might just find the going too tough to get past the other 14 horses. Then again, he won the Grade III Phoenix last out at this course and distance, and a Grade I in his previous start, so the aptly-named 3-year old sprinter could be real tough to catch at the end if he bothers to break at all. Just one 3-year old has won this race in the last nine years, however.

Private Zone (13) is the morning line favorite and is coming into this race very strongly after finishing third at Santa Anita in this spot in 2014. Returning off a two-month break has been proven successful in previous Sprints.

Those are the only two entries that are lined at less than 10-to-1 in the morning; perhaps something to look at are high-priced horses with good winning percentages; last year’s winner was sent off at 19-to-1 yet was 11-for-14 lifetime. That would at least make you consider longshot Ivan Fallunovalot (6), who is 11-for-19 lifetime but is really stepping up in class. Jockey Calvin Borel thought highly enough of him to go win Remington Park Spring Cup last month and stays on here.

Masochistic (9) had won six of seven starts dating to last year before butting heads with Wild Dude (8) twice and losing in his last two. Wild Dude has won four of his six career starts at this distance. Salutos Amigos (10) ran seventh in this race last year but was coming back off just a week layoff and appears to be rounding into form again.

Plays: 6 across the board
Exactas: 6/5/10 with 6/5/10/8

I reserve the right to edit this; those plays aren't in yet and I am about to consult my horse guy back home.

Songbird +115 vs Field, 2 units. If they're gonna send him off at 1-to-2 or something close to that, I'm stealing taking 23-to-20.

31503 Land Over Sea -170 med 2u over Ma Can Do It. Seems like someone made an error matching up these two horses unless I'm missing something. Should be like -350.
31510 Rachels Valentina -145 med 2u over Nickname. I threw out Nickname everywhere; why not here also?

Hope to get more on these as the day progresses. Two units is the best i can do with available credit and outs right now.

referring to post 28, gonna play the 2 Dame Dorothy to win and show here and also using a ticket with the 10...

so 2/3 with 2/3 with 2/3/10/13/14 tris and supers small

Nubafan I made GT -6. All sharp money on UNDER there, tons of movers etc, i guess i would only have favorite at this level. Not interested, though.

Matchups:

31542 Dame Dorothy -145 i bet but would still recommend -175 which is out there for the 2u vs Fioretti
31543 Taris +125 for the 2u
31554 Merry Meadow -120 small 1u

In the 6th

31572 Dacita -110 med 2u
31574 Secret Gesture -105 med 2u

The fastest of the fast dirt horses in the world take to the Keeneland oval in the Sprint; sometimes the speed can outlast them all as it did for 2014 winner Work All Week. If likely favorite Runhappy (5) breaks badly (dead last) like he did in his last two starts, he might just find the going too tough to get past the other 14 horses. Then again, he won the Grade III Phoenix last out at this course and distance, and a Grade I in his previous start, so the aptly-named 3-year old sprinter could be real tough to catch at the end if he bothers to break at all. Just one 3-year old has won this race in the last nine years, however.

Private Zone (13) is the morning line favorite and is coming into this race very strongly after finishing third at Santa Anita in this spot in 2014. Returning off a two-month break has been proven successful in previous Sprints.

Those are the only two entries that are lined at less than 10-to-1 in the morning; perhaps something to look at are high-priced horses with good winning percentages; last year’s winner was sent off at 19-to-1 yet was 11-for-14 lifetime. That would at least make you consider longshot Ivan Fallunovalot (6), who is 11-for-19 lifetime but is really stepping up in class. Jockey Calvin Borel thought highly enough of him to go win Remington Park Spring Cup last month and stays on here.

Masochistic (9) had won six of seven starts dating to last year before butting heads with Wild Dude (8) twice and losing in his last two. Wild Dude has won four of his six career starts at this distance. Salutos Amigos (10) ran seventh in this race last year but was coming back off just a week layoff and appears to be rounding into form again.

Was looking to back the 6 if I was going to get 20-to-1 or more, but alas, it's 12/1 inside of 20 MTP. Fuck that.

The plays: 10 Salutos Amigos to win and show
Exactas and Tris: 10/6/5 with 10/6/5/13

One of the more diverse fields of the day will hit the Keeneland lawn to kick off the late big guaranteed Pick-4. Defending Mile champion Karakontie (11) has ran just twice since winning the race last season, failing to fire in his first start and being forced to make the lead in his second when running third in France. The Japanese bred will find a pace more to his liking in this spot.

A field of 12 will meet, many for the first time. That’s because they were all busy winning races all over the globe before meeting for the world championship. Of the 11 horses outside Karakontie, eight of them won their final preps. The other three were vanquished by rivals in here. Grand Arch (1) beat Tourist (6) in the Shadwell Turf Mile last out; two back he won the Fourstardave Handicap at Saratoga, as Mshawish (10) ran fifth. Obviously (8) ran third in the Woodbine Mile, as Mondialiste (4) vanquished him. While I’ve mentioned half the field, I’ve hardly gotten to the contenders.

Five entries were Kentucky-breds, four more were Irish-bred and two more were from Great Britain (then there’s Karakontie). Age ranges in here from 3-to-7, with the two youngsters rating real chances. Make Believe (3) is the morning line 3-to-1 favorite by Keeneland oddsmaker Mike Battaglia. Andre Fabre trains the British horse, winning the same prep that the filly Goldikova used on her way to winning this race three times. He’s made just six starts so the upside is there, and the last three 3-year olds to win this race were European. The other 3-year old is Time Test (12), another British invader.

Speaking of fillies, Irish-bred Esoterique (9) comes off an impressive win in a Group 1 at Newmarket, winning despite the jockey dropping the whip. She’s already beaten the boys (including Karakontie two back) and can run on any sort of lawn. Another filly, Tepin (7) is Kentucky-bred and goes after the boys after a 7-length win in a G-I last out on soft footing, which is what the turf could come up today. She’s probably the best US hope, according to the early lines.

I have to wait on play until I see the tote

With only one European 2-year old in this race, and an outclassed one in Waterloo Bridge (14), it’s a matter of whether you believe in the prep races in California, Kentucky or New York having the most merit in deciding the likely 2-year old champion. Somehow (I’ve got a journalism degree and spent an hour looking it up yesterday, and still, no clue until this morning, when they finally scratched the 15 and 16 off the AE list.
The one wild card here? It’s Riker (2), who ships in off a win on the Woodbine synthetic surface on Oct. 4 in a Grade III race. Usually, that’s cause for dismissal but horses running their first race elsewhere after a Woodbine race have been winning at a mysteriously high clip in the last month or so. Keep an eye on the toteboard.

Let’s examine the Kentucky horses first, since they’ve run a recent local race. Brody’s Cause (7) came from the clouds to win the BC Futurity four weeks back to open the Keeneland meet and earn his way in here. Rated R Superstar (6) ran out of gas there, finishing behind the winner and Exaggerator (9) in the BC Futurity four weeks back at Keeneland, with Brody’s Cause coming from last in the 11-horse field to run them all down in the final sixteenth. Those who like any of those three will likely be inclined to support all of them. Another one worth mentioning in this bunch is Unbridled Outlaw (4), who got an absolutely horrible trip in the Iroquois at Churchill Downs in mid-October. He had to check twice and lost several lengths when doing so the first time, yet still lost by just a length to Rated R Superstar. Maybe he’s the best of all the hopes that have been running Kentucky?

Nyquist (13) will likely get the most attention of the horses who have been running in California. He is unbeaten out there, winning two Grade I’s with Swipe (12) running second to him both times. One word of caution: the Cal shippers are 0-for-the-last-5 Juveniles run in Kentucky (to win).

The Champagne has proven over the year to be the key prep, producing the most winners (eight) for this race. In from that race is Greenpointcrusader (3), who beat Grade I winner Ralis (10) and outsider Tale of S’avall (8) in that one. Both were favored over the winner in that race before disappointing when finishing out of the money.

Keep an eye on the toteboard; 11 favorites and seven second-choices have won this race, and NINE straight favorites have ran first or second.
the plays: 4 to win and show
got 4/9 on top of 4/9/13/7 exacta
then 4/9 with 4/9/13/7/2/3/15 with 4/9/13/7/2/3/15 cheap tri and super tickets

This shapes up to be the strangest race on the card based upon one “if”. The 3-year-old brilliant Golden Horn (1) has decimated the European competition so badly throughout the campaign that most of the connections decided it would be best to stay at home rather than to fight this monster.

This is important to know because 12 furlongs races on grass are few and far between in the US, whereas they are commonplace across the pond. Golden Horn’s effort earlier this month in France at the Prix De l’Arc de Triomphe was scintillating. He was near the front of a decent pace, then never was seriously challenged from the closers in posting a monster win at 2:27.23 at Longchamp. There will likely be many who ‘single’ the colt in multi-race exotics.

The “if” comes based on the condition of the Keeneland grass on Saturday in the late afternoon. The 3-year old likes firm footing, and trainer John Gosden was lamenting all of the rain that fell in central Kentucky in the middle of the week. That said, he didn’t come to “eat American food” or “take a walk around the paddock”, as he said about Cymric, who did miss in the Juvenile Turf on Friday.

All that said, Conduit was the last favorite to win this race, backing up his 2008 win in 2009. And gate-to-wire winners are not common here, either, with only a 3-for-31 record lifetime, with longshot Little Mike last doing it in 2012. If trends hold true, one thing is a cinch: there will be a Euro in the trifecta – it’s happened 16 straight times. Six of the last eight winners have won at least once at 12 furlongs.

So who can beat Golden Horn?

Start with the filly Found (9), who ran ninth to Golden Horn while throwing in a dud in Paris before running second in a 10-furlong prep for this. The Irish-bred is the only other 3-year old in here, but Aidan O’Brien has won this race a record four times, and she should be primed for her best after receiving Lasix for the first time. She’s been in the exacta in eight of her 10 career starts. Golden Horn only got her by a length in the Irish Champion Stakes.

The US won’t likely come with anyone who can beat those two if they take to the Keeneland surface. Big Blue Kitten (7) rates to have the best shot from the Chad Brown barn. He won the G-I Joe Hirsch Turf Classic in New York last month and beat Slumber (4), Twilight Eclipse (6), and Red Rifle (11) - though The Pizza Man (10) got him in a shorter trip in the Arlington Million.

Slumber (4) is the asterisk. He’s British-bred but has been racing over here since 2011 and is a 7-year old horse. He hardly counts as a “Euro” at this point of his career. Anyone else would be a surprise, and light up the toteboard.

The play: 4 to win, place and show.
Exactas and Tris: 1,4,9 with 1,4,7,9,11 with 1,4,7,9,11

Finally fuckin got one. Why oh why could the 4 have not gotten into the mix? Would have helped balloon the payouts. What a shit trip by that jockey. He's great at times and awful at others...

There will only be a maximum of nine horses headed to the post on Saturday in the world’s most prestigious race. This bodes well for the morning-line and sentimental favorite, American Pharoah (4). The Triple Crown winner undoubtedly benefits from the champion mare being sidelined by an illness. That said, he will have stiff opposition coming from all corners in his final race, the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Tonalist (1) beat solid competition and was impressive in doing so in the Belmont slop as a repeat winner in New York. He will be one of the elders that American Pharoah is facing for the first (and last) time. Tonalist is listed at 4-to-1 in the morning, and that will go down with the scratch of the stout mare Beholder (10). He has finished behind Honor Code (9) in two of their last four starts together, but at 8 and 9 furlongs, those were almost surely better for Honor Code. Christophe Clement is 0-for-26 in Breeders’ Cup races; it’s hard to put Tonalist on top with these things opposing him.

Frosted (3) set things up for the late close of Keen Ice (2) in Saratoga’s Travers Stakes, yet at the end, trainer Kiaran McLaughlin bemused that aggressive jockey Joel Lezacano (riding as a substitute for Joel Rosario, who is back in the saddle today) was too close to the Triple Crown winner and set it up for Keen Ice to steal it late. It was American Pharoah’s first loss, and it came because he didn’t control the pace.

All that said, an argument can be made that a truly great horse would have outlasted Frosted, then put away Keen Ice. A potentially-tired American Pharoah didn’t do that. If you believe in Keen Ice, you can get a good price; he opened 12-to-1 in the morning. That price has the potential to rise with the defection of Beholder, however – unless one of the other candidates decides to run up front with the Triple Crown winner and literally render themselves out of the race, no one is going to stay with him on the fractions he’ll set and escape alive.

The play: American Pharoah -125 vs the Field. Just a value play considering he's 3-to-5 on the tote and that won't likely go down.
Most of my sharpest friends like the 1 Tonalist on top. So here's what we'll so.
1/4 with 1/4/9/3/5 exacta
1/4 with 1/4/9/3/5 with 1/4/9/3/5/2 tri
1/4 with 1/4/9/3/5 with 1/4/9/3/5/2 with 1/4/9/3/5/2 super

Back