Rexy's Championship Round...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Sup fellas, back to the battle. Won 23 units in the first weekend, and about +1.4 last weekend. Still beats a kick in the nuts. Onward...

The top two seeds in the AFC will meet for the right to advance to Santa Clara, Calif., and Super Bowl 50 in a couple of weeks.

The idea for me is to take the thoughts and try to condense them down into a few hundred words, but it's very difficult. There is so much good and pertinent information out there, as this is yet another highly-anticipated duel between legendary quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

This will be the 17th time that the two will have squared off as starters, but as Manning pointed out, this is hardly "Bird/Magic". Unlike in basketball, the two quarterbacks will never be on the field at the same time. It's up to Manning to figure out how to solve a Bill Belichick defense, and it's up to Brady to score points and keep pressure on what has been a pedestrian Denver offense all season.

The Broncos won the first meeting of the season, twice coming from two touchdowns back to beat the Pats 30-24 in overtime with Brock Osweiler at quarterback for the injured Manning in Denver. That was New England's first loss, and the Pats battled the injury bug and a slump down the stretch to lose four of their last six regular season games before rebounding against red-hot Kansas City last week.

Several key players from both sides missed that Week 12 game. New England didn't have receivers Julian Edelman or Danny Amendola and two defensive starters. The Pats also lost Dont'a Hightower and tight end Rob Gronkowski to injuries during the game. For Denver, Manning and pass rusher DeMarcus Ware were inactive, while safety T.J. Ward and defensive tackle Sylvester

Williams both went down with ankle injuries in the first quarter. All four of those guys will play Sunday as the Broncos field their healthiest roster of the season. New England listed 16 players as questionable on the Friday afternoon injury report, although most of its guys should play. Perhaps a surprising inactive or two could come out Sunday afternoon.

First, let's make a case for New England. It's not a difficult sell for most of the betting public; as of less than 48 hours to kickoff all three books that I looked into offshore showed New England money at a 4-to-1 clip or more, with the Pats also receiving 70 or more percent of all straight bets.

Brady led the league with 36 touchdown passes and had just seven interceptions. He saw Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hit on many big plays last week en route to 339 yards. The Steelers, minus big play receiver Antonio Brown, still put up a season high 396 yards on the vaunted Bronco defense. You can be sure that New England will use some of Pittsburgh's concepts to try to make big plays against a suddenly-vulnerable Denver secondary, especially if Chris Harris is playing hurt.

On the other side, plenty of Manning detractors have been at full throat for most of the season, and they see this as a chance to "get him". He's only thrown for one home touchdown pass this season (Brady threw for 3 in Denver earlier this season) and his arm strength is noticeably weaker than it was two years ago, when Manning piloted the most prolific offense in NFL history. His 9-to-17 TD/INT ratio is laughably bad. The only other NFL offense this year with a negative TD/INT ratio was Dallas, which could not overcome that on its way to a 4-12 record after being the NFC East favorite in the preseason.

Now Manning's merely a "game manager". That said, he's a pretty good one.

Turnovers were a big issue early in the season, but in the 5-plus quarters Manning has played since Week 17, the Broncos have not turned the ball over. Manning can also do something Osweiler (nor many others) can't - get the Broncos into the right spots pre-snap. He continually and repeatedly made proper checks, mostly to run plays, in leading comeback wins over San Diego and Pittsburgh. The running back has featured healthy backs Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson in the second half of the season, and Denver ran 30 times for 175 yards against the Pats in the first meeting. Much of that came after the Pats wore down in the fourth quarter and in overtime, and without Manning in there to put the Broncos in even better situations to succeed.

His arm strength, or lack thereof, was greatly exaggerated last week, when he routinely made the big intermediate pass, including a few out routes that most teams have been daring him to make since the Super Bowl two years ago. Denver's receivers dropped seven passes and have led the league in that dubious stat since the middle of the season. Certainly, that will have to be shored up. But it shouldn't take too many points to win this game.

That's because the Bronco defense is the best in the league, and it's not particularly close.

Denver allowed just 4.4 yards per play this season; no one else in the AFC allowed less than 5! The Broncos rank first overall and against the pass, which should be pertinent because New England has shown no interest in trying to run the ball since losing multiple running backs for the season to injury and with a makeshift line.

The Broncos should repeat what a few other teams with a strong interior pass rush (notably Buffalo, Philadelphia, the Jets and Miami) have done this year, and that's to get pressure up the middle on Brady. It doesn't matter how fast his release time is when the O-line can't even develop a pocket for him. The Broncos led the league in sacks, and the Pats used 13 different starting lineups on their offensive line (most in 22 years by any team, which is far back as STATS records go). The Pats have used 37 different offensive line combinations on the season!

So Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe should be able to punish the guards and center in the 3-4 Denver scheme. Note that linebacker Von Miller had two game-changing rushes in the fourth quarter and in overtime, both coming on stunts inside against one of the guards. Brady isn't going to flee the pocket like a mobile quarterback so edge rushers aren't the main concern - the middle push will be key so Brady can't step up. Kansas City has speed on the edge but got no push up the middle last week, so Brady largely had plenty of time to operate.

Manning has to continue to embrace his role as a dreaded "game manager"; the pressure is truly not on him like it was when he was clearly the best player and had to carry his teams in Indianapolis. He doesn't have to be anything better than adequate here - get the Broncos into the right play and avoid turning the ball over. He's never had a running game like this to lean on during the playoffs, and when it gets colder outside. The Broncos are a stellar 9-3 in games decided by a touchdown or less this season.

Brady has a winning record all-time against "Ol' 18", but they have split four playoff games going back to Manning's days in Indianapolis. Note that Manning has won the last two, and the home team has won all four of those matchups. This is also the first time Manning has been a playoff underdog since 2006, when the Colts went to Baltimore as a 4-point dog and won outright on their way to winning the Super Bowl that season.

In the last 10 years, the Pats have played in just four road playoff games. The only win was in San Diego, by 3. They have lost twice in Denver and once in Indianapolis in the other three games, and Brady's all-time record in Denver is 2-6. The wins came against Denver QB's Danny Kanell (2003) and Tim Tebow (2011). Also notable is New England playing UNDERS in each of their last five AFC title games dating back to 2007's 18-1 season.

One last note: Denver is 6-0 since 2008 when Ed Hochuli has been the head referee, with underdogs going 12-2 ATS this year (two other games he did closed at a PICK). New England is 3-4 in seven Hochuli games since 2010.

Prediction: Denver 23, New England 16
The play: Denver +3.5 for 4u
UNDER 44.5 for 1u.

If the total goes to 45, i will add a peanut, up to another unit. I took 3.5 last week (see post 46 in my other thread from last week regarding that). I would only bet Denver +3, the current available, for about 2 units or so. Just took a price because I was stealing, win or lose. Have to win more of those than you lose in an efficient market.

I also had a few thoughts in the bottom of that thread if you're interested; roughly posts 55-56 ish.

GL, and back with NFC thoughts later on after I finish my writeup.

:shake:

Every paragraph was great. Did not see that play coming. Unfortunately I sided with the public, yet am ice cold which plays in your favor. I think last week Pittsburgh shed some light on the secondary and the cheaters will take full advantage of "showing the line".
Always a good read. Enjoy the game.

Interested in why it's only half as big a play for you at 3 as in 3.5...being less likely to win is certainly a huge negative, but your odds of losing are not increased in the slightest, so seems like a large drop

Interesting write up Rex, appreciate the insight. Having my morning coffee here and open up ESPN, and one of their headlines is how money keeps pouring in on the Pats, yet my book hasn't budged. Report cites like 5x and 85% at most spots in vegas... Sitting -3 -110....what gives?

Interesting write up Rex, appreciate the insight. Having my morning coffee here and open up ESPN, and one of their headlines is how money keeps pouring in on the Pats, yet my book hasn't budged. Report cites like 5x and 85% at most spots in vegas... Sitting -3 -110....what gives?

That might be your problem

how high do you want them to make the pats? The lines dont just move because heavy action is one side... they opened the pats at -3.5 OTR in the playoffs in a location where they have mightily struggled.... the whole shady line business doesn't apply here imho

Denver is one of the ugliest teams to be in this far for the playoffs, the whole entire season they fucking lucked out and won, what a bunch of crap.. Pats should and will destroy this team..34-17

how high do you want them to make the pats? The lines dont just move because heavy action is one side... they opened the pats at -3.5 OTR in the playoffs in a location where they have mightily struggled.... the whole shady line business doesn't apply here imho

Not working that angle necessarily 88, really was looking for some enlightenment. I am not in the business, and am curious as to the inner workings. Just seems like if the action is THAT 1 sided, logic would be to counteract . So perhaps there is some misinformation or not (motivation? if apply) or the books are really locked into their number and no amount of action will sway them (dangerous prospect I would think long term)...or other factors I am not thinking of...hence the question.

Interested in why it's only half as big a play for you at 3 as in 3.5...being less likely to win is certainly a huge negative, but your odds of losing are not increased in the slightest, so seems like a large drop

It's all math in the long run. If you can't ascertain the value of taking 3.5 instead of taking 3, you're in the wrong business.

I've said all I can say about that game. Anyone else who wants to comment in here is more than welcome but i have little use of Wise or AlB's opinion of me losing without backing it up with solid reasoning. I know of zero sharp people who are on New England. That is why the line is locked in at 3. Anytime someone has popped a 3.5 a razorblade has taken it out. I might lose today but I've given you reasoning why I am on Denver and have been for a week straight. The number is bad, plain and simple.

I've been kicked out of there for 10 years. One day I tried to hit Calvin Ayre's house down here on the golf course. Needed to slice it a bit harder and hit it about 100 yards farther than that on No. 6.

I've been kicked out of there for 10 years. One day I tried to hit Calvin Ayre's house down here on the golf course. Needed to slice it a bit harder and hit it about 100 yards farther than that on No. 6.

Open your stance and make sure you swing along your toeline. Keeping the face square down the target line. You'll nail his azz.

Love the thoughts , good luck sir.

Press

Lines rarely move that much in the playoffs. NBA is 100% right. And, I see more than enough posts, touts, etc. supporting the Broncos and the points.

And when ESPN is headlining stuff like that you know it's going to get more Broncos action... RLM has become one of the most novice tools from any degenerate gambler at the bar.

Waiting for 3.5 as well.....can't get in a square shops....agree with the under as well...moved to 45, I think we may see it pushed higher.

ha ha....your the best....we will have to tee it up sometime

I've hemmed and hawed all week about the second game on Sunday afternoon, the NFC Championship. Arizona boasts impressive credentials and has as many meaningful and statement-type victories as any team in the league this season. The Cardinals will visit Carolina, a team that has done little wrong in racking up 16 wins in 17 games.

My raw numbers and adjusted numbers after doing the work both spit out Carolina as a 3-point favorite, with the total being a tad higher than you see.

This will be the first time in NFL history that we get a playoff matchup featuring two former Heisman Trophy winners at quarterback. Cam Newton of the Panthers won the Heisman at Auburn, while Arizona's Carson Palmer won it at Southern Cal.

Interestingly enough, it's also the first time that three of the four teams left in the conference finals have a No. 1 draft choice as their starting quarterback, when including Denver's Peyton Manning to the group. This is also the first time for Carolina to ever host an NFC title game and the first time for Arizona to ever play away from home in one.

As for recent series trends, the home team has won and covered the last four in this series.

Schematically, these teams are polar opposites on both sides of the ball, which should make for a very intriguing game.

Arizona's offense is based on a vertical passing game, while Carolina likes to run the ball using a physical and diverse attack. On defense, the Cardinals are very aggressive and attack out of hybrid sets that come with exotic pressures and various coverage packages. The Panthers are a zone-based defense that stress fundamentals and limit mistakes, while also boasting All-Pro talent at all three levels.

When Arizona is on offense, the key will be whether the O-line can hold up so that Palmer has five options to throw to and plenty of time to do it. The Cardinal offense has an abundance of weapons and should be able to challenge the Panther secondary, which is probably the weakest link for either team in this game.

That's because Bene Benwikere broke his leg in Week 14 and Charles Tillman tore his ACL in Week 17. The starters in their places are Robert McClain and Cortland Finnegan. McClain was cut before the start of the season, and Finnegan was sitting at home, unwanted by anyone, until he was signed on Dec. 15. The only two other active cornerbacks are Teddy Williams, a kick gunner who played just 50 snaps on defense all season, and Louis Young, an undrafted free agent that was promoted from the practice squad after Tillman's injury.

The deep passing attack puts pressure on that line to provide a pocket for Palmer, who is no threat to run the ball when dropping back. Newton actually ran for more touchdowns and yards this season alone than Palmer has in his 13 seasons combined.

Carolina also boasts the league's best duo of 3-down linebackers in Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, Grade-A cerebral players that can cover sideline-to-sideline and overcome any physical deficiencies (of which there are few) with aptitude through the roof. The Cardinals will have some drives where they struggle to do anything, and I don't expect much to happen for them on the ground today. That alone could be the difference.

On the other side, the Panthers could struggle themselves at times. Cornerback Patrick Peterson won't need any help against the limited Carolina reecivers, which will allow the Cardinals to put a safety in the box and focus on thwarting the run. The Cards also will be able to use more base fronts because the only player that will need extra attention is tight end Greg Olsen.

Arizona's defense stopped opposing rushers for a loss or no gain on 27 percent of all carries, ranking second in the league. That defense also ranked second in two other analytic-based rushing stats so the Panthers might have to throw the ball a bit more out of the box than usual. That said, Carolina has run for at least 100 yards in 30 straight games, a remarkable stat in today's NFL.

Arizona will be blitzing from the moment they get off the bus; that's a modus operandi that you don't change after playing 17 football games. And while teams blitzed Newton more often than any starting quarterback other than Cleveland's Josh McCown, they were erring the whole while. Newton was actually better against the blitz! He completed just as many passes against five rushers than against four but threw them deeper and for more yardage. While his completion rate went down against six rushers, his average yards per catch was higher and he didn't throw any interceptions.

There's also a reasonable chance that Newton can pick up gobs of yardage on scrambles or busted plays. While the Cards have a fast defense, it's also very smallish (inside linebacker Deone Bucannon was a former safety) and there is a chance he'll break several tackles on various occasions.

A couple of other notes:

Special teams could well decide this one, and neither team has been very good in those aspects this season. Rate the Panthers with a marginal edge in the field goal kicking game.

Also, whichever team is ahead in the fourth quarter figures to find a way to win. Ron Rivera turned into "Riverboat Ron" in 2013, and the Panthers are 22-4-1 when protecting a one-score lead in the fourth quarter. Conversely, Bruce Arians is 31-1 in the same situation, with his only loss in that spot coming against the Rams in St. Louis in his first game as Cardinal coach in 2012.

The Panthers and Cardinals finished first and second in the league in scoring, with each scoring more than 30 points per game. Palmer and Arians both got the Mouse off their backs last week by finally winning a playoff game and Palmer in particular figures to play more loose and better today. But Newton seemingly lives for these moments, dating back to his days where he won a junior college national championship at Blinn College in 2009 (and a top-level one the next year at Auburn). He gets an overaggressive defense and a home field advantage, to boot.

Prediction: Carolina 34, Arizona 28
The play: OVER 47 for 2.5u

And there it is 2' popping on the board. BOL Rex, had the line nailed from jump street. :cheers3:

I'm tailing you on the early game. I'm glad my Clemson boys came through for you on that big play for you in the title game. Congrats on that one, and good luck today.

Last edited:
Just to add a nugget on the Over in Charlotte...Bill Vinovich and his crew led the league with the most illegal contact,def PI,and def holding(50 such penalties)...something that should aid the offenses as well.

hi all, sorry no comments earlier.

No real worries to this point, as long as Denver doesn't turn it over the thing has played out about as i expect

Hate to say it, was close to breaking shit in the house but I had to come into this thread to say good call.

thanks fellas.

Got Denver +4.5 in the last game for 3u.

Another joke of a line. I expect it to close 3 or so; will hang onto my position if not. Will have writeup later but this line is an insult.

Back