Report: Shaq for Marion deal in the works

H.R. Pufnstuf

Pretty much a regular
The Miami Heat have told Shaquille O'Neal and his representation that they should be prepared for him to be traded in the near future.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that Phoenix has discussed sending forward Shawn Marion and point guard Marcus Banks to the Heat in return for O'Neal. Shaq's representatives said they have been made aware that discussions with Phoenix are serious and ongoing, but that a deal was not definite. Marion can opt out of his contract worth $17.1 million at the end of the season. And if he opts out, the Heat would then have substantial salary cap space this offseason, when potential free agents include Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Elton Brand, Marion, Antawn Jamison, Ron Artest and Corey Maggette. Stay tuned.

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/407442.html

I don't understand why the Suns would trade S.Marion for O'Neal. The Suns would become a 2nd tier team in the West with a trade like that.

Well, because Marion is going to leave regardless. So they should attempt to get some value -- but I'm not sure Shaq is the right idea.

Amare + Shaq in a playoff series does sound interesting. But they'd have to change their whole style of play.

Well, because Marion is going to leave regardless. So they should attempt to get some value -- but I'm not sure Shaq is the right idea.

Amare + Shaq in a playoff series does sound interesting. But they'd have to change their whole style of play.

I get that they may look to move Marion for a player under contract, but Shaq is washed up, and not dependable at this point of his career. Plus, as you mentioned, the change in style would be extremely drastic. Why not just stay on the bench in this year's playoff, and try to win a championship one last time with this team ?

Shaq would make it about 3 times up and down the court with the Suns offense before he

A.) puts too much pressure on his knee
B.) keels over from being too fat and not used to running
C.) complains that hes not getting the ball enough

Aboslutely no shot in the world, doesn't make sense, Shaq can still make a lot of teams better, most in fact, but I truly believe he would hurt the Suns

this has got to be a joke

the eagles have a better chance of trading mcnabb for tom brady than the heat have of pulling this off

no chance in hell

steve kerr is not an idiot

this shits on espn.com now

did someone replace steve kerr with billy king???

why the fuck would they even think about doing this???

do the Suns want to compete legitimately with Seattle, now?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT ASS TRADE?

not gonna happen, I think the Suns pretty much said it was bullshit. Not sure where the miami herald Yaggo got the idea from

It's pretty obvious now that Phoenix will not re-sign Marion after this season. So, from their end, they just want to get something in return for him. The NBA playoffs is a half-court playoffs. Picking up Shaq is strictly a move for the playoffs and to win a title THIS YEAR. Nash is only getting older, time is running out. I do think Shaq has one more year left with tread on the tires (this year). But the concern here is that he is signed for 20mil a year for 2 years after this season. I guess Phoenix has to decide if he has enough to last beyond this season. I don't think he does, and for this reason, the deal won't go down. But if Kerr believes Shaq has another year left in him after this, this deal will go down. Shaq will likely retire after next season, and at that point the Suns could buy him out of his final year.

I don't know the specifics of a buy-out, but it could also be possible that Kerr will push the fact that Shaq can get a solid final chance at another title with Phoenix this season. After this season, Shaq would retire, and the Suns would buy him out of his final two years of his deal. O'neal would basically take a pay-cut for a final chance at another ring.

I think Kerr and Shaq would have some kind of agreement before this deal goes down for it to work.

On Miami's end, they obviously would be freed of a lot of cap space heading into the summer with Marion, Williams, and Davis off the books. Marion would be a nice piece to play next to Wade, especially in the East if Miami decides to re-sign him. Haslem is still a solid 4 man. They would also have a very high draft pick.

It's safe to stay Miami is PRAYING for this deal to go down.

I get that they may look to move Marion for a player under contract, but Shaq is washed up, and not dependable at this point of his career. Plus, as you mentioned, the change in style would be extremely drastic. Why not just stay on the bench in this year's playoff, and try to win a championship one last time with this team ?

I don't think the current Suns team wins in the playoffs. In fact, I think they would do better in the post season with Shaq (but worse in the regular season). The only problem I see is if they slow the game down and feed Amare and Shaq, Nash's lack of defense will be exposed.

But.. if they dont want to pay Marion, they definitely wont want Shaq's next two years.

The only thing I know is Matrix and Amare never got along. This trade looks so shitty from the outside I have to think there is something deeper....maybe shit hit the fan w/ Amare/Matrix/Dantoni....

This could make Steve Kerr a Legend.

Legendary Duesche bag???

This makes the Suns slower and Shaq will miss 1/2 their games anyway.

I do like Miami w/ DWade and Marion.....if they had Jason Kidd or a big man (Gasol), they could contend out East.

okafor dunks demonstrative , got robbed and possibly convinced
that this mix mash stinks n would crash fast not allowing further growth
he's old plus he's slow ,
oafy d' antonio holds no hope
hip flexor did the lecture legs crippled neck's in miserable yes it hurts !
second round again like a bobby brown pipe hit
it goes down out comes the clown highway robbery with a vice grip
stolen like you got 6 fingers and his lighter's off the table
pool shark dueling darts swiped it gone and able
hoodwinked bamboozled
damn they just screwed you
a screw loose , a nincompoop on the drool juice
kerr has riley's nipple in his mouth as he looks up just gawking
milking him , drawing , what spills in his teeth and yes it's all cream...

Guys would it make Kerr a Legend? Yes it would. Isiah Thomas had worst GM of the Decade Locked UP. In One Trade Kerr could leave him in the Dust. I like the Suns and would be a little sorry if it happened but actually being there to see the Worst Trade in History. Got to be worth something.

the only thing that i can think of is that it must be a panic move by the suns as a response to gasol.

the least they should do is trade marion for someone who has value. this makes absolutely no sense. i can't see this going through. someone in the suns organization will have to come to their senses. its as if they haven't seen o'neal play the past two seasons.

the only thing that i can think of is that it must be a panic move by the suns as a response to gasol.

the least they should do is trade marion for someone who has value. this makes absolutely no sense. i can't see this going through. someone in the suns organization will have to come to their senses. its as if they haven't seen o'neal play the past two seasons.
No doubt...when I first saw report..figured it was JERMAINE...not shaquille...

lmao at this proposal

Tuck
any esle

Phx is cheap as hell...almost as bad as memphis...

they hate luxury tax...would this come into play?

The only thing this helps is if the Suns match up with the Spurs in the playoffs. Shaq would defintley help them in defending Duncan but other than that I really dont get this. Talk about the player who is the worst fit for this system and the Suns are going to get that player

Tuck
any esle

Phx is cheap as hell...almost as bad as memphis...

they hate luxury tax...would this come into play?

If I understand your question right, the only way this deal helps the luxury tax for the Suns is if they buyout Shaq. Otherwise, it puts them in a worse situation. Even if Marion were to stay next year (doubt it) then he still makes 2.2M less than Shaq would.

I just think the Suns should keep him. It's obvious though if they make the deal they're panicking or they're trying to get something for Marion. My thing is for those saying get another player other than Shaq, who?

If I understand your question right, the only way this deal helps the luxury tax for the Suns is if they buyout Shaq. Otherwise, it puts them in a worse situation. Even if Marion were to stay next year (doubt it) then he still makes 2.2M less than Shaq would.

I just think the Suns should keep him. It's obvious though if they make the deal they're panicking or they're trying to get something for Marion. My thing is for those saying get another player other than Shaq, who?
thx bro...

obviously...my thoughts is this is O'neals last year anyways..so the buyout would help both parties..

I mean..this is the team that sells draft picks or whatever and trades Kurt....

Have fun with a fat shaq...he would help one series..thats it...even if they somehow made finals...Sheed, KG..even Illyguaskus would have a feild day

The Arizona Republic confirms this is serious and adds that Dallas has offered Josh Howard. This is all very hard for me to believe.

theres no way any of this can be true

its just totally ridiculous

it makes no sense whatsoever

itd be like golden state signing chris webber or something and thinking he can run and jump...

oh wait....

this shit isn't going down. I think GM's nowadays need to show they're trying to do something. This kind of reminds me of the end of last year when there rumors were Amare for KG. It never panned out and neither will this one. Steve Kerr must be thinking right now, "what the fuck was i thinking?"

LOL smokedog, and we even put C-Webb into the starting lineup? wtf, make his ass come off the bench. I'd take Biedrens over him all day.

i feel for you man...if webber gets any sort of major minutes, youre gonna want to strangle him within a week...guaranteed

wait tuck are you serious about howard? howard for who, lol?

Is Dallas still paying 18.5 for Michael Finley to play somewhere else, LOL!!!

espn just reported that if shaq passes his physical tomorrow with the suns...this deal is done. wow.

this shit isn't going down. I think GM's nowadays need to show they're trying to do something. This kind of reminds me of the end of last year when there rumors were Amare for KG. It never panned out and neither will this one. Steve Kerr must be thinking right now, "what the fuck was i thinking?"

:36_11_6:

so here's the probable starting lineup when shaq is healthy........

PG- Nash
SG- Bell
SF- Hill
PF- Amare
C- Shaq

wow, the run and gun Suns are not gonna miss a beat with Shaq running and filling the lanes. :liar:

Bench
Barbosa
Diaw
Skinner

Kerr is an idiot. Doesn't he see Shaq's body is breaking down? And then there's 2 years left at $20 mil a year left on this. Can't wait to see Kobe dunking on his old ass come the playoffs.

I could be the only one that thinks that this'll work out well for Suns

Phoenix still can run a fast break with him on the court. He just won't be part of it. I mean say they get a stop, outlet to Nash and he's off with say Hill on his left and Bell to his right with Amare trailing and Shaq walking down as "safety". if they can't get down court, well then shit with 16 seconds left in the shot clock, throw it into big daddy and let him go to work. everyone loves to note how Shaq won't fit into the Phoenix system cuz he can't run, but how bout how well Phoenix players fit into the Shaq system. If any1 has watched, and I mean seriously watched Shaq's games this yr, he still fuckin dominates. He gets it in the post, double comes, he dishes out, reposts deeper in. Its just that in Miami, when the double came, it stayed, and the likes of Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Quin, Cook, Wright couldn't knock down shots. Teams even came off Wade and when he hit it back out to Wade, Wade would attack the rim and crowd up the center. Wade isn't that great of a passer and relied on getting the calls when he went up.

Now imagine, Shaq in the post. he'll have plenty of options of players that can knock down shots. Nash, Bell, Barbosa, Hill. I mean even Diaw, Amare, and Skinner can knock down the mid-range shots like Haslem can and did with Shaq.

Now imagine the Amare/Nash pick and roll with Shaq weakside. Oftentimes, on the pick and roll teams will rotate a man weakside to sag off- which sometimes led to Marion alley-oops and sometimes led to stopping the pick and roll. No center in the league is allowed to sag off Shaq cuz that leads to easy buckets for him, and you don't let Shaq get into rhythm

Now on the defensive side of the ball. How does this not help both parties?! Its not like teams want to fast break and run with the Suns. Every coach knows, don't get in a trackmeet with the Suns. Teams are told NOT to take the first open shot they get cuz if they just be patient, they can get a better shot, particularly something going to the basket with Amare being a liability at Center. Against this yrs Miami team, team would just run and get Shaq out of the game cuz he couldn't get back fast enough. But teams DO NOT want to run against the Suns. If the do and miss, itll stem the Phoenix fast break. Thus, Shaq can take his sweet ass time down court to defend the big boys.

You can say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as Phoenix is number 1 in the West currently, and "could've, should've, would've" beaten SA last yr in the playoffs. Thing is, even with Amare, they WOULD NOT have won. Phoenix is essentially "broke", they havn't made the finals despite always being in the mix, and for a good reason. They got no D down low. no presence.

Just ths yr they've allowed
23 pts 11 boards to Wilcox 11-17
14 pt 13 coard to bynum on 7-10 off the bench
25 pt 10 rebounds to SHAQ on 11-19
33 pt 18 rebounds to Dwight 13-24
17 pt 8 boards for curry on 7-11 (fouled out)
17 pt 14 boards to kaman
31 pts 13 boards 11-19 to Yao
30 pts 23 boards 13-19 dwight
21 pt 8 boards 10-13 to curry
30 pt 11 boards 14-20 jermaine oneal
32 pt 20 boards 13-26 al jeff
18 pts 11 boards 7-10 SHAQ
24 pts 13 boards Boozer- 20 pts 13 Boards Millsap
14 pts 18 boards Tyson, 15 pts 11 boards West
26 pts, 17 boards 15-25 Duncan
42 pts, 13 boards 10-20 Bosh
28 pts, 12 pts, 11-13 Bynum
22 pts, 20 boards Kaman
19 pt- 11 boards- tyson
22 pts 17 boards- okur
29 pts, 11 boards 14-16 bogut
9 pts, 18 boards- kaman
27 pts, 14 boards 11-20 al jeff
19 pts 13 boards- bogut
39 pt, 15 boards, al jeff
16 pt, 17 reb- duncan

I mean I know other teams get more shots cuz the fast pace thus better numbers, but that was ridiculous. I didn't jsut post the good numbers I saw, I only looked at the boxscores of teams with a C that could score and looks what I got. Shaq will help. I mean I could post Duncan's numbers last yr in the playoffs, but that'd be abusive and ugly. AMarae cannot hang with center of the league and legit low post scorers. Shaq has the body and will be able to help finally without being a big liability on offense

Also, Marion will struggle anywhere else he goes. Mark that down. everyone knows, Marion is a system guy. he does well in this system that the Suns run where he can gets alleyoops and open 3s. same things with plenty of Warriors, which is why the Warriors cannot trade a couple their players (think Barnes, SJax). Marion is easily replaceable with an athletic player with a 3.

Great stuff SF,cheers mate

i just want to know, why shaq???? what happened to the marion for AK47 rumors? or marion for whoever not named shaq?? im sure they can get somebody better or get more value on the market

suns sacrificed two first round picks to create cap space, they did this by dumping kurt thomas' contract to the sonics

now they want to get a bigger and longer contract??? is kerr on drugs???

if they get shaq, everything changes, style of play, offesensive and defensive sets and strategies, what about team chemistry (this takes time)...... with so many things changing, they won't win the championship in TWO years, this deal won't even help the suns short term

i really can't believe this deal happens, maybe riley is holding a gun to kerr's head

if this deal happens, kerr owes the world an explanation

-----------------

obviously miami steals this deal, as mentioned, heat have a lot of expiring contracts, it's up to them whether to sign marion or not

Marion is the best all round player on the Suns. Certainly the best defender. He can not be replaced and this will be a disaster and Steve Kerr is now a Legend. I do think Shawn wants the trade. He has accommodated Amare and Barbosa endlessly and has just got tired of the silliness associated with the Suns

only thing they're waiting on is a physical

i can see this helping them, when shaq goes out, the style of play changes

it's tough for any team defensively to slow down, speed up, but i would imagine it's tough offensively too

steve kerr has ginormous

131124.JPG

I like it. They can run with Diaw/Amare 4-5. Then slow the game down with Shaq/Amare. The only thing they lack is a defensive PG and maybe a long defensive 2-3.

not gonna happen, I think the Suns pretty much said it was bullshit. Not sure where the miami herald Yaggo got the idea from

Well ain't you smart, calling someone a Yaggo who you don't even know.

I actually know Barry Jackson because his parents live down the street from me. The guy has been covering Miami sports for the Herald for about 20 years and is usually the first to break any local sports story, whether it was Jimmy Johnson coming to coach the Dolphins, or the Hurricanes leaving the Orange Bowl before it was officially announced, etc. And as far as I know he's always been right. Looks like this one is correct too as ESPN has confirmed it.

And BTW I'm 100% in agreement with SF Capper. The Suns always kick ass in the regular season but then lose in the playoffs because they don't have a true big man. If Shaq can stay healthy for the playoffs (which granted is a big if, but I tend to think the guy has very little motivation to stay healthy this year because the Heat suck so bad) he can be the low post guy they need.

It's a good trade for both teams. The Suns need a big man and the Heat need to rebuild.

Back