Recaps - Misleading finals - bad beats - stupid coaches

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
UTSA was leading Rice 14-13 with 5 minutes left in the game. They end up with 4th & 2 at the 2 and instead of kicking a FG and taking a 4 pt lead, they inexplicably go for it and are stuffed for a 3y loss. That almost cost them the game as Rice would drive 9p 55y setting up a 42y FG att, but it was missed.

At this point all you can say is Marshall sucks. FAU outgained them 456-436 (7-5.4 ypp). That was the Owl’s best yardage and ypp offensive output of the year. They ran for 281 (6.2). FAU led 14-10 end of 1st, 21-16 HT and 21-19 end of 3rd quarters. Marshall took the lead for good on a 14p 65y drive scoring with under 2 minutes left. FAU did get to the MU 10 where they were SOD to end the game.

UCF built a 25-7 lead and it was 25-14 halftime. If you took UCF then you had the feeling that UCF was just hanging on for dear life the entire second half. Temple did have a 24-14 FD edge. In the 2nd half Temple outgained the Knights 219 – 101 including an amazing game winning 4p 70y drive where they scored and took the lead with :01 left. UCF played soft D letting them complete big chuck plays down the field. As the game went final the TV announcer said “Temple steals one”.

Tulsa and Houston was 24-17 Cougs entering the 4th qrt, but the final qrt saw 4 TDs including a Houston D TD to break a 31-31 tie with 1-1/2 minutes left. Tulsa drove 8p 74y but were stopped at the UH goal line twice, the final play as time expired and the Tulsa receiver just barely kept from not crossing the plane. Tulsa converted 70% 3rd downs, but UH had 30-27 FD, 522-459 (5.9-5.3) yardage edge. UH lost 3 TOs to Tulsa’s 2.

USF led 14-3 at halftime, but UConn would battle back to lead 17-14 in the 3rd. Flowers threw 2 INTs, but both were on 3rd down and acted like punts. UConn had a lot of trouble getting their hands on Flowers running as he often had big runs or critical runs to keep drives alive (he ran for 157) . UConn held USF to 4th and short maybe 4x, but I believe USF was able to convert 3 of those to sustain drives. USF did lose 2 fumbles, one at the 1 yard line when USF was really wearing down UConn to keep a TD off the board for the Bulls. UConn did kick 2 FGs from the 9. USF had a 529-378 (6.3-5) yardage advantage. USF really got after the Husky OL with something like 7 tfl, maybe 3 or 4 sacks, Shirreffs was hit often. UConn was covering for 57 minutes of this game until trailing 20-35 UConn was SOD at their own 34 with 3:07 left. USF scored 1 play later to get ahead 42-20. Huskies marched 7p 48y to get the covering TD with :57 left. Onside kick failed, USF ran out the clock.

FIU trailed 13-26 with 7 minutes left in the 4th qrt, but would go 7p 60y, force a punt and go 2p 45y, final drive being aided by two Charlotte 15y penalties to take a 27-26 lead with 1 minute left. Charlotte drove to the FIU 22, but missed a 49y FG. In the game FIU kicked FGs from the 4 and 6 while Charlotte kicked FGs from the 12. Charlotte had a PAT blk’d earlier in the game. Each team was –3 TO, FIU ran for just 41y, but McGough passed for 315. 49ers ran for 232 (4.9).

Texas St trailed 14-33 HT and 21-40 in the 4th qrt, but would score twice in the final qrt for the cover, one a 50y D fum ret TD and later a TD with 3-1/2 left for the final 6 pt margin. Tx St did have a shot on their final drive getting to the ULM 32 for one last play as time expired. ULM had 31-19 FD, 477-317 total yards, but ypp was even at 5-5.1.

ISU led 6-0 early thanks to a 12p 58y drive 39y FG and following a UT fumble and 15y penalty drove just 6p 15y for a 25y FG. Near the end of the half Tex drove 10p 32y (almost all rush) to the 4 and kicked a 21y FG. Horns would dominate the 2nd half scoring three 3rd qrt TDs and owning a 344-72 yard edge before ISU’s final drive of the game where the Cyclones would go on a 17p 68y drive...almost more yards on the final drive than they had on all 2nd half possessions prior. Texas outgained them 505-280 (5.9-3.6) and registered 8 sacks.

CMich - NIU was lucky to go over the total with all the opportunities these teams had to end the game at various points. 0-0 end 1st qrt, 14-7 half Chips. It was tied at 14 to end the 3rd. With 5m left Spalding broke off a 58y run for the 21-14 lead. But 2 plays later NIU would answer on a 53y run where the runner may have been down, but kind of cartwheeled spun after maybe 15y and would go on to run for the rest. His shoulder or helmet may've been down, but replay upheld the TD (not conclusive to overturn). CM would drive 10p 60y but a 38y FG was no good. On the 3rd play in OT1 NIU threw an INT. But CM would again miss a 35y FG. In OT2, both teams scored TDs, NIU converted a 4th-and-1 on their TD possession. In OT 3 NIU had a 34y FG blk'd and CM threw a 25y TD pass on their first play of the period for the 34-28 final. CM had 25-16 FD and 484-339 yard edge.

More later.

I was discussing this with a buddy after the Clemson/NCSt game. Aside from the fact that on 1st and 10 on the 11 yard line with under a minute left calling a pass play is idiotic, but is it not best to just kneel it and make clemson use their TO or just to have the 20 some yard FG? Do you run that ball a few times trying to score on Clemson D or just take the close FG? Obviously the play that happened resulted in a 8 yard loss creating a 34 yard FG, also Clemson had the TO out left to try and ice the kicker. I am interested in some thoughts here because I was sitting there saying well this is over thinking they just kick the FG from the 11. (also for record I do not usually bet on Clemson as a Cocks fan but had Clemson in a 13 point teaser thinking they would slaughter NC St after last years weird game so i ended up winning big time on this and still thought it was stupid as hell)

UTSA was leading Rice 14-13 with 5 minutes left in the game. They end up with 4th & 2 at the 2 and instead of kicking a FG and taking a 4 pt lead, they inexplicably go for it and are stuffed for a 3y loss. That almost cost them the game as Rice would drive 9p 55y setting up a 42y FG att, but it was missed.

I'm not sure that was a bad decision, although I had UTSA -2.5 myself. If you fail on 4th down, you have three fewer points, but Rice loses 20-25 yards of field position, which is about the difference between the goal line and comfortable FG range.

I was discussing this with a buddy after the Clemson/NCSt game. Aside from the fact that on 1st and 10 on the 11 yard line with under a minute left calling a pass play is idiotic, but is it not best to just kneel it and make clemson use their TO or just to have the 20 some yard FG? Do you run that ball a few times trying to score on Clemson D or just take the close FG? Obviously the play that happened resulted in a 8 yard loss creating a 34 yard FG, also Clemson had the TO out left to try and ice the kicker. I am interested in some thoughts here because I was sitting there saying well this is over thinking they just kick the FG from the 11. (also for record I do not usually bet on Clemson as a Cocks fan but had Clemson in a 13 point teaser thinking they would slaughter NC St after last years weird game so i ended up winning big time on this and still thought it was stupid as hell)

What you don't realize is that, as these events were about to unfold, I rushed to the kitchen to invoke the Miracle Superstition.

I did so muttering "We should have let 'em score", which I had decided was our only hope two or three plays earlier on the play when State got a first down at the 22. Dabo screwed up by using a timeout after State got the first down at the 22, since the clock stoppage to move the chains meant State couldn't run off a full 40 seconds. And State calling a pass play was pretty crazy. But that's the power of the Miracle Superstition.

What you don't realize is that, as these events were about to unfold, I rushed to the kitchen to invoke the Miracle Superstition.

I did so muttering "We should have let 'em score", which I had decided was our only hope two or three plays earlier on the play when State got a first down at the 22. Dabo screwed up by using a timeout after State got the first down at the 22, since the clock stoppage to move the chains meant State couldn't run off a full 40 seconds. And State calling a pass play was pretty crazy. But that's the power of the Miracle Superstition.
Yea I noticed he called the TO right as the first down hit which i thought was interesting. Haha the miracle superstition lives!

But honestly I just want opinions on what is the "right call" to do in that particular spot because the announcers were saying "ok now you go score and take it out of your kickers hands" which I understand completely but did not agree with.

BTW another onside kick returned for a TD yesterday that involved a gambling number. The newest trend in cfb.

I'm not sure that was a bad decision, although I had UTSA -2.5 myself. If you fail on 4th down, you have three fewer points, but Rice loses 20-25 yards of field position, which is about the difference between the goal line and comfortable FG range.

I could agree with that if it Rice would need a TD to tie or win and by leaving the ball inside the 5 now you force they to go 95 some yards, but leading just 1, 2, or 3 I think going up by more than a FG would be best. Needing only a FG, even if they start the drive inside the 5, they can drive about 60 yards and win if they kick the FG. If you go up by more than a FG, then kick off to Rice they must drive the entire field for a winning TD. Now some coaches will say, don't kick the FG because it can be blocked, or don't want to kick off because they can return it for a TD, I say don't coach scared on what could go wrong. Rice could also have a block in the back on the KO return and start their drive inside the 20. Different philosophies, but if you have a chance to go up by more than 3 by kicking a FG late in the game I think you do that. It isn't like Rice was going up and down the field on them and they feared they couldn't hold them out of the end zone.

I don't remember exactly how the end of regulation transpired. I would run it up until 4th down, milking the clock, forcing them to use their timeouts. Not sure I would kneel. That is safer, and if you have all the confidence in the world in your kicker then you can do that. I like trying to get closer and maybe even scoring on the run plays leading up to the FG attempt. Ideally you'd like to have regulation end on your kick make or miss, but if your runs result in a TD and you leave some time for Clemson O then so be it. Scoring TDs and FGs can be hard, and taking the lead at any point however you do it and however much time is left isn't a bad thing.

I do remember watching parts of that game and thinking that NC St was not fully capitalizing on their chances, both the ones they created for themselves and the ones Clemson gave to them. NC St did of course have the pick-six, but NC St hurt themselves alot.

NC St's opening drive got to Clemson 22 with a first down, but on 2 of the next 3 plays they false started eventually creating a 3rd and 20 leading to a missed 43y FG.

After a Clemson fumble, NC St drove across midfield and on 1st down had a 7y run to the Clemson 12, but a holding penalty brought it back. Two plays later they were called for a personal foul eventually creating a 3rd and 35 at the 44 where they punted from the next play. Instead of having the ball at the Clemson 12 2nd and 3, those 2 penalties killed the drive.

On Clemson's ensuing drive, NC St was called for PI and personal foul.

NC St committed 13 penalties for 120 yards (Clemson 5 for 40) was 2 of 5 in the RZ (Clemson 3 of 6) and they were 1 of 4 FGs (Clemson 1 of 1). Lots of ways to replay the game and show Clemson winning comfortably, but just looking the way it unfolded NC St was their own worst enemy.

Last edited:
NC St committed 13 penalties for 120 yards (Clemson 5 for 40) was 2 of 5 in the RZ (Clemson 4 of 6)

Clemson had 3 failed red zone possessions -- fumbles at the 1 and 4 and stopped on downs at the one. Also a lost fumble at the +24 and had another drive that got to the +24 before penalties caused it to end in a punt.

And State missed opportunities as well. Even with a defensive TD and OT, over bettors still have cause to feel they got screwed.

Clemson had 3 failed red zone possessions -- fumbles at the 1 and 4 and stopped on downs at the one. Also a lost fumble at the +24 and had another drive that got to the +24 before penalties caused it to end in a punt.

And State missed opportunities as well. Even with a defensive TD and OT, over bettors still have cause to feel they got screwed.

Yes, you are right, the drive chart shows it correct, but the team stats list shows it 4 of 6. So it was 3 of 6.

Some points left off the board in VT - Cuse as well.

Cuse was SOD at the 1 following 11p 59y drive (the threw 3x from the 1 and then stopped on QB sneak on 4th). They also missed FGs from the 35 and 34. Plus threw an INT from the VT 29 down near the goaline.

VT threw an INT from the Cuse 3 in the EZ following a 7p 73y drive. Also missed a FG from the 27.

561-468 and 32-21 advantages for Orange in that one. Dungey passed for 311 and rushed for 106 on 24 att (only ran for 129 in previous 6 games).

Florida/Mizzou was sure to go under with Mizzou scoring a meaningless touchdown with 8 seconds left then lining up for an on-sides kick. But a Florida guy on the front line caught the kick on a perfect bounce and took it all the way as time ran out for a Florida score to put the total over.

Third time in four weeks the same thing has happened. Arizona State did it against Cal to give Az State a cover and Georgia took an on-sides kick all the way as time ran out against S Carolina to give Georgia a cover.

Florida/Mizzou was sure to go under with Mizzou scoring a meaningless touchdown with 8 seconds left then lining up for an on-sides kick. But a Florida guy on the front line caught the kick on a perfect bounce and took it all the way as time ran out for a Florida score to put the total over.

Third time in four weeks the same thing has happened. Arizona State did it against Cal to give Az State a cover and Georgia took an on-sides kick all the way as time ran out against S Carolina to give Georgia a cover.

I'm surprised how often it happens especially when you can clinch the game by just securing the ball. One of those odd things that is never talked about

Unreal...

Early game offensive penalties were also an issue for Maryland committing 6 for 50 yards, most of which were holding penalties that wiped out 40 yards of runs that would've created 2nd and short opportunities instead resulted in 2nd and 3rd and long downs and punts.

1st half Minn had 10-3 FD edge (all Mary FDs on same drive).

Likely muffed a punt that set Minny up for a 3p 16y TD drive in the 2nd qrt before Min put together a nice drive to close the 2nd qrt with a 14-0 lead.

Maryland did get the O going late 3rd qrt with a 180-143 2nd half yardage edge...half of Min's second half yardage was on a 70y run. For the game Min had just a 311-291, first downs even at 16.

Late 4th qrt with Mary driving, Gophers got a 82y pick-six to cap the game at 31-10. With the muffed punt and pick-six, 2 of Min's 3 TDs were directly off turnovers.

Pigrome QB'd Terps and Rhoda QB'd Gophers, nether was good, but Min had the running game to pick up the slack (246-163, 4.8-3.6 rush advantage)

Iowa led 28-0 and 28-7 HT. Hawkeyes had 377-153 halftime yardage edge, but in the 2nd half Purdue would outgain them 389-125. And at 42-28 in the 4th qrt amazingly the cover looked in question! But Desmond King got a 40y pick-six before Purdue scored 1 more with :17 left. Blough passed 60x!, but completed just 30 for 458y 5TD 1 INT with big plays through the air of 53, 54, 37 and 33. Iowa QBs were 12 of 20 155y 2-O with the ground game doing most of the work for 367 and runs of 75, 67 and 45. Iowa scored their most pts vs B1G foe since 2008 and ran for the second most yards in school history.

Excerpt from Iowa recap:

Iowa pulled its starters in the fourth quarter, and Purdue feasted. Blough through a 7-yard touchdown pass to Bilal Marshall to make the score 42-21 with 8:40 remaining and he connected with Yancy for a 54-yard touchdown to make it a two possession game (42-28) with 5:36 left.

"I don't think (the second-team unit) was that far away, but it was a great illustration for them what the difference is," said Ferentz. "You can't duplicate that in practice and there is nothing about being out there in live game action.

"The ones did a good job today, but the twos got in there and they were struggling a little bit. We didn't want to bring the ones back in, but at that point it was a little dicey. Then Desmond comes up with a huge play."

The Hawkeyes went back to their starters and the game's only turnover sealed the Iowa victory. On first-and-10 from the Purdue 26, Blough threw into double coverage, where King made a leaping interception -- his first of the year -- and returned it 41 yards for a touchdown. It was King's third career pick six -- one that gave Iowa a 49-28 lead with 1:44 remaining.

And Darrell Hazell has been fired.

It didn't look good for Northwestern early. After NW punted from their own 1, MSU was able to go 3p 39y for a 7-0 lead and then next series MSU got a 43y pick-six for the 14-0 lead. That is where the good news stopped for the Spartans. NW would score on 3 of their 4 next drives plus a safety for a 19-17 lead. It was just 33-31 NW in the 3rd when the Cats ran the KO back for TD for the 40-31 lead. 33 more pts were scored in the 4th qrt. NW had 26-18 FD, 490-471 TY, 209-51 RY, 52-31% 3rd down, 36-24 TOP and +1 TO edges. MSU did pass for 424. Each team scored a non offensive TD.

Justin Jackson ran for career high 188. B1G's #1 receiver Austin Carr caught 11-120-2TD.

MSU used 2 QBs (not counting WR Shelton who threw 2 passes) in rFr Brian Lewerke started for (12-19-99-TD-0INT - 30ry) and O'Conner came in as planned (13-21-281-3TD-INT). MSU has been held under 100y rushing 3 out of the last 4 games.

A D-1 kicker has to make that FG for NC St

I agree about the passing play being called being strange, but coaches get killed for shit all day. Kickers can really fuck a coach. As I said, a D1 guy has to nail that....

I don't remember exactly how the end of regulation transpired. I would run it up until 4th down, milking the clock, forcing them to use their timeouts. Not sure I would kneel. That is safer, and if you have all the confidence in the world in your kicker then you can do that. I like trying to get closer and maybe even scoring on the run plays leading up to the FG attempt. Ideally you'd like to have regulation end on your kick make or miss, but if your runs result in a TD and you leave some time for Clemson O then so be it. Scoring TDs and FGs can be hard, and taking the lead at any point however you do it and however much time is left isn't a bad thing.

I do remember watching parts of that game and thinking that NC St was not fully capitalizing on their chances, both the ones they created for themselves and the ones Clemson gave to them. NC St did of course have the pick-six, but NC St hurt themselves alot.

NC St's opening drive got to Clemson 22 with a first down, but on 2 of the next 3 plays they false started eventually creating a 3rd and 20 leading to a missed 43y FG.

After a Clemson fumble, NC St drove across midfield and on 1st down had a 7y run to the Clemson 12, but a holding penalty brought it back. Two plays later they were called for a personal foul eventually creating a 3rd and 35 at the 44 where they punted from the next play. Instead of having the ball at the Clemson 12 2nd and 3, those 2 penalties killed the drive.

On Clemson's ensuing drive, NC St was called for PI and personal foul.

NC St committed 13 penalties for 120 yards (Clemson 5 for 40) was 2 of 5 in the RZ (Clemson 4 of 6) and they were 1 of 4 FGs (Clemson 1 of 1). Lots of ways to replay the game and show Clemson winning comfortably, but just looking the way it unfolded NC St was their own worst enemy.
Details of end of reg are in post #2 but thank you I agree with just keep running it to either get the closer FG or potentially score on the ground and force Clemson to react

They had been running it well on that drive so I was surprised to see the QB drop back

Rutgers out FD’d ILL 23-10 and outgained them 385-320 (but 4.8-5.6 ypp). Rut also was 56% on 3rd down to 31%. But lost by 17. Difference was Rut lost 5 TOs to ILL’s 1. Rut lost fumble at ILL 8 and was SOD at the 27 following 72 and 62y 1st qrt drives. In the 2nd half Rut threw an INT at the 25 and SOD at the 22 following 33 and 58y drives. While the turnovers and SOD kept Rut pts off the board, only 1 of the 5 resulted in ILL pts (pick-six) the other 4 didn’t lead to any ILL pts as ILL either punted, turned it back over or missed FGs following all of the Rut TOs. Rescigno relieved Laviano. Crouch was just 6 of 14 for 92y with 25 rush for ILL in place of injured Lunt.

Georgia had a 23-9 FD and 421-171 yard advantage but fell to Vandy! VU ret’d the opening KO to the 2 yard line and scored 2 plays later to lead 7-0. Vandy’s next FOUR drives netted just THREE yards. Yet they led 7-6 at that point! UGA had 51y and 84 drives result in 45 and 22y FGs. On the 2nd half opening KO UGA return man stepped out of bounds at the 3 while fielding the kick and eventually led to UGA punting from their EZ. That would give Vandy some field position good enough for a 4p 7y drive for a 38y FG to extend the lead 10-7. UGA was able to get ahead 16-10, but Vandy put together a stunning 4th qrt TD drive where Shurmur connected for 27 and 37y passes (on 3rd and 12) to the 11 and they ran it in 3 plays later. That drive contained 3 of VU’s 9 FDs and before that 75y drive VU had just 85y of O all game. On UGA’s final drive, facing a 4th-and-1, Isiah McKenzie motioned into the TB spot and received a pitch but was stopped short of the first down by VU LB Cunningham (who had 19 tackles). UGA ran for just 75y on 35 att.

GT led 21-10 to end the 3rd qrt, but the 4th qrt saw 28 pts scored, the last TD a Ga Southern score with just a minute left..onside kick then failed.

Pitt-UVA was “over” in the first half thanks to an unstoppable UVA O and a KO ret TD and 59y INT ret TD by Pitt. UVA had 270 yards of O in the 1st half, but just 15 yards in the 3rd qrt and 108 total for the 2nd half and UVA could only muster a FG in the 2nd half after scoring 4 TDs in the 1st half. James Conner played a few snaps at DE in the 4th qrt after Ejuan Price (ncaa sack leader entering) left with injury.

Eastern Michigan and Ohio played a defensive struggle in the 1st half. EM went 12p 77y for a 22y FG, on their next 6 possessions of the half they totaled just 52y. EM would however gain 272 2nd half yards scoring on their first 4 drives of the half. Ohio on the other hand started extremely slow as well, but moved the ball a little more consistently after their first three drives, just not quite as efficiently as EM did once they go rolling. Roback for EM had a great day 29-39-347-3TD-O. Windham was replaced in the second half (was just 9 of 17) with Quinten Maxwell (17-26-188-1-1). Stats were fairly even, Ohio ran it better, EM had better ypp. EM +1 TO. EM missed a FG. EM hadn’t won 3 consecutive road games since 1967, but have now!

Offensively challenged teams Kent St lost to Miami, Oh 14-18. Gus Ragland made his season debut at QB for Redhawks after knee injury in spring. He was 10 of 21 for 181y 2 TD passing....and led the team in rushing with...36y (2.5). Each team threw INT in opposing territory. Kent did lead 14-3 in the 3rd, Miami made it 14-12 (Redhawk TD and safety) setting up the go-ahead TD drive for Miami late 4th qrt when Ragland hit a receiver over the middle and he ran 55y down the right sideline for the 18-14 lead and eventual win. The offensive stats were just as anemic as the score. Of note, Kent QB Nick Holley (7 of 11 91y passing, 24 att 84y 2 TD rushing) left the game in the 4th. Kent gained 11y in two drives without him.

Bowling Green – Toledo surprisingly was an exciting game. rFr QB James Morgan had been improving with each game and vs UT had by far his best game of the season going 25-38-335-5-1. Woodside was his normal self 23-30-322-4-1. BG had 502 yards, their best of the season, and RB Coppet ran for 100 for his third 100 effort on the year. BG did fake a punt on 4th and 22 when the punter ran 24 yards. For UT Swanson had 112 on 12 att and Hunt 99 on 25 rushes. UT did lead by 2 TDs twice in the 2nd half, but BG tied it 35-35 late 4th. UT would go on the game winning drive scoring TD with just :18 left. 36 pts were scored in the 4th qrt. The "buy" light may have gone on this BG team.

Armstrong completed just 38% with a 1-2 TD-INT ratio for Nebraska and only found 36y rushing. Newby ran for 102. Lagow also threw 1-2 ratio, Diamont saw duty as well (5 of 7 49y & 31 rushing). Neb built a 17-0 lead with 52 and 64y FG and TD drives then ret’d pick-six 33y for TD. A punt blk for safety and then nice drive of 12p 67y for 36y FG put 5 pts on board for IU. Right before the half Armstrong threw INT giving IU free 3 pts. 17-8 HT. In the 2nd half a nice punt ret set IU up for a 33y Redding TD to make it 17-15. NU got back ahead of the spread with a 72y TD pass, but IU would answer with TD next possession with Lagow going 4 of 4 for 75y. 24-22. With 8:26 left NU would go on a 15p 60y clock killing drive included a 4th-and-1 conversion eventually leading to a 39y FG. 27-22 NU got INT to seal the win. All stats essentially even, Neb edge rushing, Neb scored D TD, each team lost 2 TOs. IU was SOD twice in NU territory.

Last edited:
The "good" Tyree Jackson showed up for Buffalo 28-46-306-3-0, 64y rushing, but unfortunately Ball St RB James Gilbert showed up too and was better with 264 rushing (7.7), 221 in the second half. Buffalo's 459 total yards were a season best, but not enough because Ball had 568, also a season high. Ball was -3 TO (all in the 1st half). The fumble didn't cost them anything or result in anything for Buff. The first INT did spark a 60y Buff TD drive and the second INT came from the Buff 18 near the goal line on 1st down with :42 left in the half. Buff led 14-7 and yards were even at 212-231. Ball played a clean 2nd half and scored the next 24 pts for a 31-14 lead. Buffalo got back under the spread with 7p 82y garbage TD with under a minute left. 31-21 final.

Mitch Trubisky got back to his normal self 33-46 (72%) - 299-2-0 vs Miami even chipping in 47y rushing. UNC outrushed the Cains 164-139 (3.9-3.8) as Hood did return from injury, but Logan led. UNC got up 3-0 on their second possession and never trailed from there. UM did have a 35y FG blk'd following a 56y drive and failed on 4th and 1 Kaaya pass from the NC 25 in the 2nd qrt. 20-3 HT UNC. NC had a FG of their own blk'd in the 3rd and were shutout in the 2nd half. UM connected on a couple big plays to make it 20-10 and threaten, but NC on the next drive hit big plays of their own with three straight completions to Bug Howard of 22, 11, 27...going on a 74y drive...however UM would hold on a goal line stand to keep it just a 10 pt game. NC ate clock in the 4th while Miami's final 2 drives resulted in FG and Kaaya sack fumble.

Ricky Aguayo missed a 47y FG, but 2 plays later after an INT, Noles had the ball back and this time connected on a 29y FG. After anther Wolford INT, Cook fumbled it back 2 plays later at the WF 28. 8p and 46y later WF tied it a 3-3. Late 2nd qrt FSU capitalized on a bad WF punt snap and 5p 26y later Noles had a 10-3 lead. Right before the half FSU was EXTREMELY close to getting a hailmary TD as Rudolph caught a tipped 58y ball short of the goal line scrambled around a bit, but WF was able to tackle him short. Rudolph ended up with 4th highest receiving yards in FSU history (13-238) Cook had his 2nd fumble to open the 2nd half (benched for the next series) to set WF up for a 7p 18y drive and 29y FG. Francois threw INT next possession, but WF did nothing with it but punt. FSU then went up 17-6 on a 81y drive where Francois completed 3 straight for chunk plays marching down the field. FSU did have 3rd and 2 at WF 34 in the 4th, but 15y penalty and sack saw them punt. Later they had 1st down at WF 30, but 2 plays later Francois was sacked and fumbled which WF ret'd to the FSU 20...and Deacs missed a FG there. FSU did have 5 sacks, but WF had 3 and got after Francois pretty good. FSU outgained WF 442-252 and had 27-13 first down edge. FSU lost 4 TOs, WF lost 3. WF hasn't scored a TD in Doak Campbell in 10 years.

Reser Stadium has not been kind to QBs lately. After a putrid game from Cal and Ore St QBs 2 weeks ago, the weather impacted QBs this week as Utah's Williams threw for 4-13-42-0-0 and three Beaver QBs combined for 9-30-100-1-1 (Garretson inj 4th qrt). Ore St was held to 55 first half yards and trailed 12-0, but Utah was held to 88 second half yards while Beavers "exploded" for 242. Beavers missed 2 FGs (27 & 51) and Utah did notch a safety on a botched punt. Due to all the injuries for Utes at RB, Joe Williams returned from retirement and carried it 34-179-TD. It was just 12-7 with 8-1/2 left and Ore St got to the Utah 9, but missed a FG. Following a fumble at the Ore ST 11, Utah got a TD to lead 19-7 before Beavers got a final TD under 2 minutes left (onside kick failed). Ore St's star from the Cal game, RB Ryan Nall aggravated an injury and left after 1 carry for 31y.

Thanks again s--k, really helpful stuff. Am I interpreting this correctly that Pitt RB and cancer conquistador played defensive end for a few snaps this game??

Thanks again s--k, really helpful stuff. Am I interpreting this correctly that Pitt RB and cancer conquistador played defensive end for a few snaps this game??

Yes, I believe it was the final series or maybe the final two series. He came in to pass rush...almost got a sack.

View attachment 41540

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I seem to recall USCw doing this multiple times in one game a few years back. It still is a rare play. Amazing that it has happened so many times in a season.

Back