Recapping Thursday Action..Please Discuss.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Obviously one game still in progress but lets take a look back at the prior games this evening. This is an excellent tool imo to capping. Finding out what you did both wrong and right and looking at the games more indepth to see find misleading finals etc.

ISU/UT

My first impression: If you told me that the Rockets would have 23 pts at end of regulation then I would have said ISU won by double digits. I really thought they would put up 34-44 points here. I still think they should have had more and there were some weird things in this game. Obviously 2-two point convos by UT. Also, the bone-headed move of not kicking FG when up 23-15 by the ISU staff. That may have changed everything.

The yards were nearly identical. ISU ran all over them while Toledo did it more methodically in the air. Rockets had 1 more turnover.

BC/CMU

The eagles had about a 45 yard edge in total yards. CMU did a lot of their work on ground with a 122-84 advantage there. Ryan had over 300 yards passing for BC. Turnovers were even. The stats refelct the final score. But, this was a 31-10 game in the 4th quarter.

Minny/Kent

Total domination by the gophers. They did what they always do against weak opponents OOC. A 6-1 turnover ratio certainly did not help the flash. Minny, despite the loss of Marouney/Russell and a weaker line rolled to 323 yards rushing. The passing was about even as Gophers won yards battle 467-304.

USC/Miss ST

Pretty exciting game(lol) first downs were in favor of dogs 11-10. Yards favored Cocks 248-133. It was the passing 167-43 that was big difference. Lets remember though that 50+ of those were on a trick play. The key to that game was a 15 second sequence. The hold on 4th and the trick play for a TD. Miss St had 2 TO's to 1 for Cocks.

Temple/Buffalo

Only thing I am really getting on this one right now is 356-183 yard advantage for Big Buff. Weird game it looks like.

N'Western-Miami of O

Pretty lame game. Cats had yardage 301-230. Of that, 197 was rushing. Tyrell at his best. No turnovers either way but the blocked punt for TD for NW is like a turnover and more.

Okay gentleman, lets get everyone else's thoughts into these.

Please add..

-any other thoughts
-how you capped it wrong/right
-lookheads for these teams

ISU/Toledo
Just wanted to let you know that ISU was up 23-15 and they attempted the FG with 8:00 to go in the game, however the snap was high and it ended up in a "fire" play.

Minn/Kent
Gophers absolutely looked impressive in this one. I can only imagine what the Gophers will do to Temple in two weeks. Do the Gophers have a chance to keep it close against Cal next week?

Temple/Buffalo
Temple gaining only 183 total yds against the Bulls. They host Louisville next week. Louisville will be favored by 50 points..and will cover.

South Carolina/Mississippi State
Impressed with both defenses...typical SEC speed and anytime you get a shutout (even if it is against the Bulldogs) that's impressive.

Boston College/Central Michigan
God I hate backside covers...a little surprised that BC didn't run the ball more effectively. I think you have to look at C. Michigan as great value this year. Great defensive line (especially for the MAC) Could be similiar to Central Florida and value last year.

Eastern Michigan/Ball State
Haven't seen a box score yet but I'm really confused on this one..thought I had an angle on E. Michigan and last years game???

Northwestern/Miami (Ohio)
Didn't see the game but the box score indicates that Miami (Ohio) was ineffective on offense. Thought NW might be able to run the ball a little better than they did.

Florida Int'l/Middle Tenn State
Liked this one and glad I added it late. FIU played very well defensively...as usual the Blue Raiders fail to cover.

HUNTDOG said:
We saw ISU has no defense and a dumbass coach.

Well, I am not unhappy only giving up 23 points in regulation. I was expecting 24 in my score prediction. Obviously it fell apart as game went on.

Rochclone, thank you for clearing that up. I was really confused and was hearing conflicting reports. Either way, unfortunate. Not saying that was deciding factor whatsoever as their was a world of time left. But, Toledos approach down one score instead of 2 could have been much different.

Still mad FIU couldn't win SU...woulda been a nice +310 ML payout. Ah well, easy cover.

toledo is a fucking force! either that or isu are bums! i cant wait for the isu iowa game!!! expect at 20+ point spread!!!

watching the sdsu game live via internet and the miner's defense is amazing!

arizona st!!

have you already been tracking this game? the sun devils are outgained in total yards vs. northern arizona!!!!!

the 23 points should have never happened in the first place...but ISU couldn't hold them on 4th down two times with over 10 yards to go each time..ISU has lot of work to do on defense.

BC is overrated..........even if they're not ranked. CM is a game team & I'll keep them in mind.

UTEP is decent..........but Palmer will fuck them again sometime this year.

Minny kept up their trend of waxing NC teams........

ISU will be a good over team........maybe even a good dog.

Feel a little lucky on the CMU game. BC is not a team you wanna lay double digit points esp on the road, which is really the only reason I played CMU.

i'LL TAKE IT THOUGH

don't really feel bad about anything, except iowa st. that one really surprised me.

but that game only reaffirmed why Porky is one of my 5 favorite (current) CFB head coaches. dude has got balls. always has, always will.
BTW...i don't mean porky as in pig...jsut that Tom Amstutz always reminds me of Porky's, to movie. I can hear the pigh horn squealing now...

i willl pound the shit outta clemson week 2...bc defense cannot stop the run which is good for the tigers. bc coaching was horrible tonite which is one of the strengths/edge i thought i would have in the game.... isu can't stop fucking toledo 2 times on 4th and long and even giving up a 30 yard play on 4th and my cock?!?!? pathetic! if thye have trouble with toledo they are in for a long season, no pass rush and no defenders.

I think we learned a few things last night, for one, watching that SEC game was about as exciting as mowing my lawn, please mix in a little offense on occasion to keep us fans interested-

BC had bad conditioning, maybe something to look at for future 2nd half bets against them, and they aren't very good-

Minnesota was the easiest bet all night as it should of been, Kent St shouldn't have a football program, -14.5 there was a gift-

I like the potential of Cochran (the Toledo quarterback), he was solid on the road last night-

A couple of things I thought watching the games...

Boston College could have been a lot better but there was a lot of dropped passes and a lot of 3rd and 7+. Need to run a bit more, and those little swing passes need to be caught.

We knew Buffalo and Temple were going to be bad teams. Got to love Wisky playing Temple last year. Forget the final, 70-6 or something I left at halftime, to start drinking again... anyways, they're fade teams against anyone decent under -35 or so.

I think Northwestern will be better than they played. Getting that first game under their belt is important and give them more confidence.

I'll be fading Miami (oh) the next few games, as I think the young offense is really going to struggle to put points on the board.

The most important thing I found... That the rule changes won't have a whole lot of effect on the scoring in these games...

BC vs CMU
Worst coaching I have seen in a long time CMU was the better team and out played BC but coaching cost them the game.
CMU STARTING QB WAS KNOCKED OUT OF THE GAME EARLY IN THE 1ST Q

USC VS MSU
At 6-0 I think early in the 4th or late in the 3rd. MSU has the ball on the 50 it goes on 4th and 1 doesnt make it. Next play is a trick play and USC scores its only TD of the game thus insuring a cover. If MSU punts it away I believe the game ends 6-0. MSU had a QB that was clueless the MSU D had the best chance of see the Endzone.
MSU STARTING QB WAS KNOCKED OUT OF THE GAME EARLY IN THE 2ND Q

UTEP VS SDSU
27-3 UTEP winning midway in the 3rd its over until Palmer becomes a turnover machine and almost throws the game away. SDSU backup QB shines almost a major Moose Job to start the season .
SDSU STARTING QB WAS KNOCKED OUT OF THE GAME EARLY IN THE 2ND HALF

ALOT OF QBS GOING DOWN, NO TIME KEEPING IS NOT HELPING THE OFFENSIVE TEAMS

I disagree fondy...I can't believe how dumbass a rule it is though...it just makes no sense from a fundamental standpoint..

I think CMU impressed me up front esp...they also had their share of drops as well...they need to stop the QB rotation shit...Lefeuvre outclassed the other guys...I think BC looks short on athletes this year and might have some struggles vs athletic teams, which CMU isn't...

The overall trend I saw in every game is that it was obvious this was a season opener. There were lots of mistakes made from technique, execution, and not remembering plays.

CMU covered because their players wanted to win more than BC did. BC was clearly the better team to me -- dominant lines on both sides, offensive passing schemes were surprisingly good, running game was adequate. BC's conditioning was very poor. Had they been in better shape, CMU's lines would have been on their backs all night. CMU showed a lot of heart and it came through towards the end of the game. Will they have that same heart whenever they play someone who is NOT in the national spotlight? We'll see I guess. Their coach made two boner calls though that might have cost them this game.

South Carolina/Mississippi St -- I have to confess, I didn't watch much of this. The SEC trend continues it appears -- take the UNDERS.

Iowa State/Toledo -- I didn't watch any of this one, I couldn't find it on Satellite. I posted this in SHSUHorn's thread about 3 weeks ago -- ISU is a "Jeckle and Hyde" type team. You never know who is going to show up. I as you to reflect back to their Friday night game against Army last year -- a game they should have covered easily but struggled in. You watch this though, they will get it up for Iowa and look like a completely different team!

NW/Miami, OH -- this game looked like a high school game. NW was just a little better than Miami, OH, but I was not impressed with either team. It was just outright ugly to watch.

UTEP/SDSU -- I went to bed at the halftime of this game (benadryl and beer is a bad combination if you want to stay up late, lol). So, what I saw of Palmer looked great! Unfortunately, I heard he didn't look that good in the second half. That was his MO last year -- moments of greatness accompanied by pitiful moments of brain farts.

CMU definitly could have won straight up if their coach didn't throw the game.

punting on 4th and inches
taking lefevour out after his big drive(whaaaaa??)
4th and 8 from your own goaline.....needs no explanation

fact is this guy did everything in his power to give the game to BC, BC was not even close to dominant. Once again, am I blind? I saw BC outgained CMU by what 60 yards?

I know they were down 21 in the 4th, but damn thats after handing the game to BC and they still had a chance to tie.

Tough to see anything to like out of BC, if you can't cover vs a MAC team that literally tried to hand it to you.........

It was a wash yesterday for me. Won 2, Lost 2.

I agree 100% with Chalk about BC...they looked extremely tired and winded toward the end of the game. D-Line was creating absolutely NO pressure whatsoever, which is why CMU had so much success passing in the 4th Quarter.

I also agree with TroyStacks...BC coaching was pretty bad, and IMO, is the reason BC did not cover the spread. BAD playcalling at some points (passing the ball on 2nd and 5 (incomplete of course), with a 14 point lead and 6 minutes left in the game. CMU almost came back to tie it at the end. Not only that, but BC just seemed content to play prevent defense for the entire 4th quarter. They went from bringing lots of pressure to rushing just the front four. That's just bad coaching IMO.

Didn't get to watch my Aztecs lose a tough one to UTEP. Despite the fact I am disappointed we lost, I am pleased to see that SDSU scored twice in the 4th and never showed any quit. If Craft were still HC, the Aztecs would have given up by the 3rd Q. Just looking at the final score, I'm not too pleased with how the Aztec defense played. Anybody here watch this game?...

GL to all this weekend!!! :cheers:

What would a season opening Thursday night be without a few moosings here and there?

I am glad to have come out alive after the Boston College and Iowa State fiascos. By the way, I feel that BC and ISU bettors were on the right side but got the shaft.

interesting night though...

put simply, Boston College did not play the last 8 mins of the football game. even after all their dropped passes in the 1st half, they were still up 2 teeders at the break. thye simply quit playing football midway through the 4th quarter.

two plays stick out to me.

1.)

was when CMU through the deep ball down the right side lines for a long completion. would have been a TD but it was poorly underthrown. zone coverage is what BC was playing and the DB broke on the underneath guy, which would have been covered by another DB or LB, instead of playing the guy going down the sidleines. he was playing off the ball a good bit, so it was not like he didn't see him. scratch head.

2.)

CMU dwon around the 12 going in. CMU through a poor ball over the head of a WR that was runnig a somewhat of a slant and the safety for BC just watched it go by him instead of intercepting it. the DB looked at the guy with his hands in the air, "like what are you doing. why did you not intercept the ball??" scratch my head.

complete breakdown. I can't remember the last time I got soooo fired up over a loss. i hope this is does not play out for me the enitre year!!

come out 1-4 when I should have been 4-1 easily, but that is the breaks of sports gambling. oh well. hope everyone else did well. it appears I was the only one who consistently lost!!! :hairout:

Tarheel...I feel the same way. Shoulda been 1-4 with Miami Ohio the only loss but BC and ISU tanked.

Good Luck this weekend man.

Recap of News Articles on the Thursday Games from TheWizardofOdds.com

Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register: Iowa State has plenty of warts, but it also has a 45-43 victory over Toledo in three overtimes.

Todd Kelly, Arizona Republic: Arizona State defeated Northern Arizona, 35-14, but entering the fourth quarter tied with the Lumberjacks — a substandard opponent — is cause for concern.

Mick McGrane, San Diego Union-Tribune: This appeared to be more than a Miner setback for new coach Chuck Long and San Diego State, 34-27 losers to Texas El Paso.

John Canzano, Oregonian: Oregon State's 56-17 victory over I-AA Eastern Washington was a cozy little eclectic back-alley whipping that proved little. Up next: at Boise State.

Jim Souhan, Minneapolis Star Tribune: Meet Alex Daniels. His name didn't appear on the first- or second-team depth chart, but he ran for 155 yards in Minnesota's 44-0 crunching of Kent State.

Jim Moore, Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Everything was going well in the lovely Alabama town of Auburn, where Washington State will open the season against the Tigers, until emails flooded his inbox.

Teddy Greenstein, Chicago Tribune: The only thing missing from Northwestern's 21-3 victory over Miami of Ohio was Randy Walker, the man who brought the teams together.

Ron Morris, Columbia State: Was South Carolina's defense that good, or was Mississippi State's offense that bad?

Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman: Boise State 45, Division I-AA Sacramento State zip. The scrimmage is over, now it's time for the season to start.

Jeff Flanagan, Kansas City Star: Kansas State coach Ron Prince has canceled all newspaper and magazine subscriptions, and no print publications are allowed at the football complex (registration).

SOONERBS
UTEP/SDSU -- I went to bed at the halftime of this game (benadryl and beer is a bad combination if you want to stay up late, lol). So, what I saw of Palmer looked great! Unfortunately, I heard he didn't look that good in the second half. That was his MO last year -- moments of greatness accompanied by pitiful moments of brain farts.
[/QUOTE]

Palmer was picked-off three straight times in the second half.

Read the story in my "Early Plays WEEK ONE" thread.

I see you pushed with that awesome +7 point early line.:shake:

G-Man said:

I see you pushed with that awesome +7 point early line.:shake:[/quote]

I didn't bet a side in this game, G-man. You must have me confused with another poster. I played a small ML parlay last night with NW, Minny and UTEP and cashed it. After going 2-2 for the night on sides, it was the only thing that kept me on the + side. :shake: It could be SHSUHorn you're talking about.

SoonerBS said:

I see you pushed with that awesome +7 point early line.:shake:

I didn't bet a side in this game, G-man. You must have me confused with another poster. I played a small ML parlay last night with NW, Minny and UTEP and cashed it. After going 2-2 for the night on sides, it was the only thing that kept me on the + side. :shake: It could be SHSUHorn you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

YOURE Right Sooner, I was incorrect. I forgot who it was now...probably was HORN

Being at the SDSU game made me ask...why does SDSU have ANY home field advantage.

Besides the turn out of slutty SDSU coeds and East County chicks, it was pathetic. The student section left at half. The stadium at most had 20,000 people. They yelled their heads off when SDSU had the ball on a crucial 3rd down late in the game. They don't get it and they don't pack the place.

Now, back to the SDSU sluts, these aren't them, but they are a reasonable facsimile of them:

1157051923.jpg

1156858749.jpg

1156868355.jpg

1156973135.jpg

Sluts!

Tulsa had a nice win that eased a lot of concerns about a C-USA championship repeat. 350 yds thru the air, holding 1-AA SFA to 80 yds passing. TU will be a team to take seriously this yr. 45-7 win @ home.

Back