Reasons why Handicapping horses is the best

YoungGun11

Collaborating w/ Tip
Hey fellas I have been out the game for awhile, putting my sports cap on the shelf for my handicapping cap. I have been meaning to post this thread for quite some time, and hope to open new ideas to those who aren't familiar with horse racing. At the end I will attach some of my tickets as examples.

The reason why horse racing is the best gambling on earth is as follows. Knowledge is key! You can be as smart and knowledgeable as any one in the world and still not have the inside knowledge of Vegas and the linesmakers. Of course there is exceptions IMO like Gamehunter and Rex but they only bring the playing field closer to even than the average joe and vegas. In horse racing, your knowledge is what brings you money like any other sports bet, however your knowledge isn't against the house or against some machine that factors every little thing, your knowledge is directly against other players. The more you know the more you make, and all it takes is one horse in a sequence that no one else got to, to win a ton of money.

For those of you who only do sports, and have never tried horse racing we look at the same things you guys do. Past races (games) trainer stats, jockey stats, trainer/jockey combos, class (experience), some horses like to go long, others like to go short. There is so much out there to truly analyze and study it is incredible. There is nothing like watching a 2 minute horse race and watching the race develop just as you had planned. Sometimes there is a lot of horses who only want to run on the front, so you want to find the one horse who can come from behind and close. While other times, none of the horses want the lead, so you try to find the one horse who can get the lead. The options of horse racing are endless. I have been reading the racing form since I was 12 and am now 27. This year alone I have wagered over 40k in bets. I am by no means a big wig, and I think that 40k in wagers was based off an initial $2500 deposit. If you love analyzing sports, you will like horse racing more and it is far more consistent than that one interception or fumble returned for a TD you couldn't ever expect.

I am not sure what the goal of this post is, but I have had a desire to teach people the game and get them truly excited in it. I am not looking for any money or any reward just want to network and share knowledge and tendencies. The past couple weeks I have wagered every day, and not every day is a successful one. Sometimes I bet $100 and win the bet but only get back $40. Other times I bet $30 and get back $2900.

I would challenge any sports enthusiast to show me a wager or parlay he can bet 5 games (5 races) and win Thousands. Attached are just some of the tickets I have played. My focus is usually on the larger tracks, with larger pools. I personally like to play the "exotics" I am not a win better. I play pick 4's and pick 5's solely. I try to find the winner of 5 races in a row. If I get one race wrong, I am out. No questions as just like a parlay. Despite not being a win bettor, I do choose horses called a single. A single is a race where I use only one horse to win that race. The best part about this sequence there is some races where I may have 5 horses out of 8 to win. You don't just have to use just one horse. Every horse you use adds to the cost of the ticket. Each ticket is .50 cents usually.

Examples pick 4 ticket. 4/3/1/4.
Race 1: 4 horses
Race 2: 3 horses
Race 3: 1 horse
Race 4: 4 horses.

Ticket total 4x3x4=$48 however it is a .5 cent wager so $24. You potentially get to watch 4 races (2 hours entertainment) for $24 and make much more than if you bet $8 per race to win on one horse.

Here are some of my successful tickets over the past few months.

View attachment 39126
This was a rare score earlier in the year at Santa Anita. I handicapped all the races and my ticket was far too expensive. I decided that I couldn't afford to use the 8 horses I originally had in the 1st leg. Since it was 2 year olds, I figured I would trust the barn money. Basically I trusted the people betting, and used the 2 favorites the 3 and the 12. Then in the other legs which were wide open I used a ton of horses, and got home horses that no one else saw. In the last leg I used one horse the 14 horse. This was a Maiden race (means none have ever won) The horse I chose my "single" was the class of the field. AKA he had been running in races where he wasn't for sale. No one could buy him during the race. He now enters a race where he could be purchased which is a large "class drop" as all the other horses had been running races where they had been for sale. The horse I chose had been showing early speed in better races and was dying, this race I figured if he could carry that speed a bit further against worse horses he could win. I picture it as if a 2nd grader is playing with the 5th graders and then goes back to the second graders hopefully he can play a little better against them, even if his skill is still the same. Boom show me, where in sports you can win $2900 on a $36 wager.

View attachment 39129

This is a bit more expensive which hurts the Return on investment. This was during the Triple Crown as normally I wouldn't play Pimlico, but like I said I chase big pools and big tracks. With Pharoah running I knew I would be in with a big pool and lots of uneducated money being funneled into that pool. I try to play two tickets with 2 different "singles" lucky for me. Both my singles were right, so I won the ticket twice. Playing two tickets is high risk high reward. I could hit both singles and win, or lose both. However I usually want one ticket to win, and in the other race where I singled I want a bomber horse no one used to win. You can see on both tickets there is 3 races I used the same horses, and am able to use quite a few horses without it being too much.

View attachment 39130
Here is another pick 5, my single was in the first leg then I used 5 horses, 4 horses, 6 horses, and 2 horses. The payouts will vary. If there is 100k in the pool and 100 people win you get 1k, That is why it is so key to find the races where you think the vulnerable is favorite. Which is no different than sports, you find the line you think is weak, and you try to beat it. You find the horse you think is strongest and you single it.

I have no idea where I intend to go with those post. I would love to get an email chain going of guys who love horses from beginners to self touted experts (which I am not). I love the game, I love the horses, I find the analysis of it far more intriguing than the gambling which is true. I want to find a career somehow some day and run with this, but for now I have limited options other than to network and discuss the game I love with others.

If anyone has any questions PM and I will respond to you with any question or comment you have. I have access to all of the Daily Racing Forms and are more than willing to share. I am not selling or touting shit, other than the game of horse racing and how profitable it can be. Beating Vegas is hard, beating someone betting the horses based their look and name.

YoungGun11 (typed while at work, and a rare day off from handicapping to recoup. I apologize for errors as I am sure there are plenty)

Thanks, Schrute. I know you are one of the guys who follows it on big days and enjoys it but doesn't really understand it. That is truly who I am reaching out to and willing to help, teach, learn, or discuss in anyway. I am open to any discussion or questions or anything at all. This is something I have come to understand is my passion and eventually want to make my career in some shape or form. I don't know where to start, but I hear my friends and other people at the track who simply don't understand the game. If you understood how it works, you would realize if you put all of your sports betting studying, and analysis into horses it is far easier to beat your competitors than to beat Vegas consistently. Albeit the tickets used above are the best examples and can easily lose. Results are great

Wagered: $901
Return on Investment: $11,726

I am hoping some of the consistent horsemen on here like Gandolf, Play2win, notmypres, and others read this and chime in and get a good discussion going.

I'm based in Minnesota and own a table in the clubhouse at Canterbury, if anyone ever wants to come on up for a beer and the races let me know.

I love talking about horse racing, by far my favorite and most profitable.
It would be great to have daily discussions during SPA meet to break down the races, it will help others understand what is going on or what peeps are looking at when capping races.
I am open to any and all questions horse racing related.

Well said Play2win. Heads up almost 40k carryover at Gulfstream park P5 tomorrow. For those of you that don't know what this means. 40k was in the pick 5 pot last time, and no one won it. So before any money goes into tomorrow's pool there is already 40k in the pot waiting to be paid out. It will be the last 5 legs of the Gulfstream park card which is located in usually sunny Florida.

You Sir got me to sign up i respect the fact u want to help others. well i recently went to track for first time and fell in love with it but i was betting blindly. Now i want to understand what I'm looking for. What tools are needed to fully grasped what I'm looking for is the drf enough? I'm willing and wanting to learn so bare with the newbie questions lol. I'm betting delmar today tailing your picks from the other post.But i want to understand what to be looking for

It is investor vs. investor but it is also with a HUGE takeout by the house. That is one major part that is hard to overcome. The other is that the pool of money is tiny compared to sports investing and the inside information of the stables is tough to overcome at times as well.

With that said, I think this is one of the better posts on the site in awhile.

I find horse racing about the purest form of handicapping there is and it is insanely enjoyable and rewarding. I can't beat it like some of you but I have come pretty close to breakeven on the harness tracks which is fine for me as I view it as entertainment more than investment. Most of the horses I watched every week I can now go see as the father and mother of the horses running today. Up about $300 this year so far with two outings but I suspect I will be behind by the end of the year if i get enough tries in.

Also, I went to Canterbury for some poker tournaments, destroyed the shitty players in the side games ....... and got to fold pocket Aces preflop.

Sports junkie I will try and post my thoughts and tickets in the other thread I started. Today I am focusing on Belmont, Monmouth, and of course Del Mar. If you watched Del Mar, you can see that hitting one race right you will get paid well on most days. The pick 5 paid 29,000 for a winning ticket. I think I had the winning horse on 4 of the 5 races, however the hardest part is finding that single to hit and keep the tickets cheap.

As a starter who wants to get into it. I would try to read the Daily Classic Racing form, There are tutorials on drf.com to teach you how to read it. I would maybe do some mock tickets, to see how you would have done before actually playing. I am never going to knock sports as I bet sports as well, but in sports you have to win 50% of the time, where I could win 10-15% of pick 4's and potentially be up at atleast even.

Clowncar, always appreciate your thoughts and know we see eye to eye politically as well ;). Like I said I enjoy the handicapping and analysis for the hour or 4 before the races just as much as I enjoy watching the race itself. As CTG appears at least to me to be becoming more of a site that has gamblers and wants to talk sports but also to talk about anything at all, and seems to be expanding from a place like covers to a wide variety of topics, why not try to bring horses to the forefront. People don't realize analyzing a horse race and their past performances is no different than analyzing sports. Also horses are incredibly consistent with their performances and tendencies, but that is all changed when you throw in different surfaces and or trainers.

Love the chat lets keep it rolling. Sports junkie glad to have you on CTG, I am down to answer any question you have at all. Hope you decided not to tail del mar yesterday, as although I had a lot of the winning horses on tickets, it doesn't do any good when your singles are wrong.

thanks young gun i will do mocks for sure yesterday i didn't tail the delmar instead i kinda messed with 10 cent superfectas and i hit i believe race 3 just tailing who u liked for that race it paid $90 ill take it. Race 6 i kinda did my own homework and i hit a 10cent superfecta for $312 not bad. i know nothing big but as a beginner just learning I'm not complaining. just got home from work ready for the weekend and delmar races tonite :cheers3: good luck.

are you gonna start some discussion here and post plays because that would be enjoyable i like to bet horses too

I didn't want to spam up this thread, so I started my own thread with my plays where I will try to post and edit my plays. Today I hit the pick 5 Del Mar $210 returned $2600.... but of course I was driving so couldn't post the late ticket thrown in by a friend I divided three ways.

Del Mar late pick 4:
5: 234671011 single 7
6: 2456
7:356713
8: 236101112 single 2

This is the best website I have found for learning the form. I have sent out some personal emails to those who inquire about the form.

http://www1.drf.com/flash/drf_pp_tutorial.html

I don't want to spam up this thread so I started my own thread where I will post what I am playing. Often times I won't post until just before the race as I am figuring out singles and changing ticket. I plan on playing or looking at tomorrow Belmont, Monmouth, Canterbury, and Del mar. That is also the order the races will go in as well.

Agree with pretty much everything said in here. I love the game and handicapping it. Takeout is certainly an issue but is mitigated slightly when there are larger pools on big racing days and certain meets, like Saratoga.

As far as tips for beginners, try to read as much as possible, bloodhorse.Com is a good sight for some articles. Drf.com unfortunately is putting more and more content behind a pay wall and that is one of the difficult aspects in learning the game is that the information isn't free and is getting more expensive. I will try to post the daily basic drf past performances in the Saratoga contest thread to try to help everyone out with some information. There are many ways to handicap and many different angles to look at when breaking down a race, I'm mostly a pace handicapper meaning I will look at the running styles of the horses running and try to visual how fast the fractions will be and what horses will be where at certain points in the race and what running style has an advantage over the competitors. Knowing trainers and how they run their horses is also a major factor I take into account. There's a few knowledgeable people who post here and if you have questions I'm sure guys like Play and Gandolf will do their best to answer them and Young gun has certainly been adding some nice stuff as well.

have always been wondering how you guys bet horses...i have 0 knowledge about it but whenever I see the discussion going on here I"m thinking damn there's a lot of knowledge passing on here I want in! lol

Agree with pretty much everything said in here. I love the game and handicapping it. Takeout is certainly an issue but is mitigated slightly when there are larger pools on big racing days and certain meets, like Saratoga.

As far as tips for beginners, try to read as much as possible, bloodhorse.Com is a good sight for some articles. Drf.com unfortunately is putting more and more content behind a pay wall and that is one of the difficult aspects in learning the game is that the information isn't free and is getting more expensive. I will try to post the daily basic drf past performances in the Saratoga contest thread to try to help everyone out with some information. There are many ways to handicap and many different angles to look at when breaking down a race, I'm mostly a pace handicapper meaning I will look at the running styles of the horses running and try to visual how fast the fractions will be and what horses will be where at certain points in the race and what running style has an advantage over the competitors. Knowing trainers and how they run their horses is also a major factor I take into account. There's a few knowledgeable people who post here and if you have questions I'm sure guys like Play and Gandolf will do their best to answer them and Young gun has certainly been adding some nice stuff as well.

I'm not much of a horse player and I play mostly verticals but My question to you who I think is excellent in horse's as I thing Play is also do you take Trainers win % into consideration of course in the type of race they're running in. I like also to look at trainer angles. Hope this post is making sense.

I don't want to spam up this thread so I started my own thread where I will post what I am playing. Often times I won't post until just before the race as I am figuring out singles and changing ticket. I plan on playing or looking at tomorrow Belmont, Monmouth, Canterbury, and Del mar. That is also the order the races will go in as well.

This is why you don't see horse racing plays posted on a forum. No one who is successful (and by successful I mean the 0.1% who can win and the top ten percent of losers) can be betting at time distance from post time because you don't know your approximate odds until post time (sometimes even then you do not). So to tail, the lurker has to be too available. It's one of the reasons you just don't see a ton about horse racing on these forums compared to other sports.

Llyod can you explain how larger pools mitigate the takeout. It's an uncapped straight percentage they hold. Less on the exotics generally than the win pool for instance but unless they have changed how they do it, it isn't mitigated by the amount of money in the pool. What big racing days does do is keep you from ruining your own odds. The pools in these races are so tiny that the larger your bet gets the more money you are costing yourself. Your EV in horse betting drops per each next dollar you bet because it adds an a dollar to the pool backing whatever you are backing. So the big race days mitigate that problem because the pool is larger but the takeout is still the same.

You and I cap horses similarly... course I do harness and if you aren't a trip handicapper in that you have no shot. So I am forced into it.

This is why you don't see horse racing plays posted on a forum. No one who is successful (and by successful I mean the 0.1% who can win and the top ten percent of losers) can be betting at time distance from post time because you don't know your approximate odds until post time (sometimes even then you do not). So to tail, the lurker has to be too available. It's one of the reasons you just don't see a ton about horse racing on these forums compared to other sports.

Llyod can you explain how larger pools mitigate the takeout. It's an uncapped straight percentage they hold. Less on the exotics generally than the win pool for instance but unless they have changed how they do it, it isn't mitigated by the amount of money in the pool. What big racing days does do is keep you from ruining your own odds. The pools in these races are so tiny that the larger your bet gets the more money you are costing yourself. Your EV in horse betting drops per each next dollar you bet because it adds an a dollar to the pool backing whatever you are backing. So the big race days mitigate that problem because the pool is larger but the takeout is still the same.

Clown I think we get hung up on the odds too much. When playing multi race wagers, I give zero fucks about the ending odds. As in multi race wagers your bet is locked in before you see the odds, so when an 8-1 ML gets hammered down to 2-1 (happened yesterday at Del Mar), it doesn't matter that the horse went off so low as your wager was previously locked in. Hope that is making sense

I'm not much of a horse player and I play mostly verticals but My question to you who I think is excellent in horse's as I thing Play is also do you take Trainers win % into consideration of course in the type of race they're running in. I like also to look at trainer angles. Hope this post is making sense.

Oh for sure they do. There are certain trainers that may be 25% winning rate but in graded stakes they are 0-22. I mean that glaring right there, if you bet that horse you are betting that the trainer will get his first win in a graded stakes. My rule of thumb that I look for, is I follow all percentages listed on the form, jockey/trainer combo, trainer %'s and things like this. If it is over 15% I highlight it, and take note. I also monitor workouts since last race. The speed of the workouts vary, but rule of thumb for beginners is for every furlong =12 seconds. A good workout is 4 furlongs 48 seconds 5 furlongs 1.00, anything faster is great. However don't get too hung up as some trainers don't work as fast.

Get to know the jockeys, also identify what trainers use what jockeys. If you see a trainer with 2 horses in one race, see which jockey has ridden the most for that trainer typically this will identify the jockey who had "first choice" of the horses. This doesn't always help or work, but if a jockey won on a horse last race, and now that horse is in a race and the jockey is riding a different horse.... Well then you generally know the jockey is making huge wager (amount of purse money) that the horse he is now riding is better than the horse he just won on.

I find trainer angles most useful in maiden and claiming races. Not so much overall win percentage but in specific instances. For example, with first time starters I look at the trainer's win percentage with them, along with the first win %'s for the dam and sire. I found that if those three numbers total over 40, it's got a high potential to be a live horse. Under 30 is almost always a toss, while 30-40 requires further examination (How does the rest of the field stack up? Are there experienced horses that have run to the race's speed par? Does the horse have a sharp workout or a strong gate workout in his recent history? Is the trainer's preferred jockey on the horse?).

Likewise with claimers, I like to see if the trainer has a history of success with some angle relating to the horse in that particular race. Things like first time or second time after the claim, turnbacks or stretchouts, adding or removing blinkers, class dropping or moving up, or percentages off the layoff, or 2nd or 3rd off the layoff. All clues as to whether the horse will be able to run to his potential on that day.

That ties into my general style in handicapping a race. Everyone has their favorite pp's, I'm big on Brisnet's for a few reasons:

1) They are easily accessible online for FREE, at least for the vast majority of races at the major tracks. Many of the major trainers and breeders are allowed to post the pp's for their horses online, and there are a few website that organize the info for easy access. By using free material, it lowers my sense of obligation to play a particular race (now if I could get better at walking away from races I put the handicapping time in for...).

2) They provide running style info, separating horses into the four main groups, E, E/P, P and S. They also provide Quirin points that are an indicator of each horses running style in the first part of the race. This is useful in looking in trying to project the pace of a race. A good E7 or E8 running against a field of P and S horses has a huge pace edge. Believe it or not lone speed still shows up once in awhile. Likewise a good S0 running a 6 furlong claimer in a race with four or five E7's and E8's has a really good chance of picking them all off down the stretch, often at a pretty nice price.

3) They provide a par rating for each race depending on the level of the race. This is great for sprints especially, noting which horses have actually run the par in a recent race. I've found that speed is a key measuring stick for sprints and dirt routes, but basically useless in turf routes. There the class of the horse is a key. Luckily Brisnet has this covered too.

4) They provide a class rating for every performance and a race rating for every race in a horse's PP's. Makes comparing the level of competition easier. Like I said before, turf routes are mainly about class level, but they're also about pace and closing level.

5) They provide pace ratings for early, middle and late portions of each race, and they compare the early numbers to the typical par for the race. It's an easy way to measure closing kicks and also to evaluate a horse's performance in a particular race. For example, a front-runner type that ran on well in a race with a +10 pace has a greater upside than horses generally running in slower paced races.

My general handicapping style involves the following:
a) Note the type of race and par rating
b) Evaluate each horses potential ability to run a winning effort based on a). This is my group of potential contenders. It may be the whole field or less than half.
c) Evaluate the potential contenders based on current form, suitability to the track and distance, projected pace and anticipated price.

I will generally use an A/B/L/X structure for Pick 3's, Pick 4's and Pick 5's:

A - strongest contenders and best value horses
B - 2nd level of contenders, will use on some tickets but much less than the A's
L - longshots that have a small chance to win but figure to go off above 15 or 20 to 1 and are worth a small win ticket as a saver
X - hopeless toss outs and lower price horses I'll try to beat because of some material flaw.

Then I'll usually play the A's, A's with 1B, maybe A's with 2B's depending on the sequence. If all my A's are 5-1 or less on the morning line, I'll throw out the A sequence, the potential reward isn't worth the risk involved. Sometimes I'll use two races of B's in a smaller sequence, a pick 3, especially at tracks that play 50cent increments.

So young gun in order to do mocks I want to use daily racing form to handicap but I just want to do mocks not play for money yet since I don't feel comfortable just losing every bet lol. Is there other ways to handicap to get the info or are there ways to get drf free

Mitigate may have been the wrong choice of words, maybe overcome would have been more appropriate. Mainly for the reason you mentioned in that larger bets by yourself are not costing you odds, also there is more "public" money bet in to the pools on the big race days and meets with more people betting names and numbers and not handicapping sharper information, all of which helps your ROI. The takeout on the exotic wagers is generally higher than WPS takeout and certain exotic wagers are almost unplayable at certain tracks because of it, the best example I know of being the trifecta wager at Parx (Penn National) is an almost criminal 31%, whereas the small Kentucky Downs meet and there relatively cheap takeout is becoming more popular with horse players and has a great handle. Below is a chart of most thoroughbred tracks takeout rates. In general we agree that takeout is too high and needs to be lowered.

[TABLE="class: basictable, width: 660"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]ABBR[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]TRACK[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]WPS[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]EXA[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]TRI[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]SPR[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]HI5[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]DD[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK3[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK4[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK5[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK6[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ALB[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Albuquerque[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.19[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.25[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]NA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]AP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Arlington[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.17[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.205[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.15[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]AQU[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Aqueduct[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.16[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.185[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.24[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ARP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Arapahoe[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ASD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Assiniboia[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.26[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.29[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ATL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Atlantic City[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]BEL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Belmont[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]BEU[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Beulah[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.18[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.225[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CBY[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Canterbury[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Churchill Downs[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.175[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CNL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Colonial Downs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CRC[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Calder[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.21[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.27[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CT[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Charles Town[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1725[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DED[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Delta Downs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DEL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Delaware[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DMR[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Del Mar[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1543[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2267[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2368[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ELP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ellis Park[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]EMD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Emerald Downs[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.221[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]EVD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Evangeline[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FE[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fort Erie[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1695[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.262[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.282[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.173[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FG[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fair Grounds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Finger Lakes[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FMT[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fair Meadows[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FON[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fonner Park[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fairmount Park[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FPX[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fairplex[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1677[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2402[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2502[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2402[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]GG[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Golden Gate[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2268[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]GP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Gulfstream[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HAS[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Hastings[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.218[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.273[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.263[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HAW[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Hawthorne[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HOU[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Sam Houston[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]IND[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Indiana[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.215[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]KD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Kentucky Downs[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1825[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]KEE[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Keeneland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LA[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Los Alamitos[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1763[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2288[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LAD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Louisiana Downs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LRL[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Laurel[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2575[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LS[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Lone Star[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]MNR[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Mountaineer[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1725[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]MTH[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Monmouth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]NP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Northlands[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.145[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.248[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]OP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Oaklawn[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PEN[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Penn National[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.31[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PHA[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Philadelphia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PID[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Presque Isle[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PIM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Pimlico[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Portland Meadows[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PRM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Prairie Meadows[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RET[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Retama[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Remington[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RUI[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ruidoso[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SA[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Santa Anita[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SAR[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Saratoga[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SRP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]SunRay Park[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SUF[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Suffolk[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SUN[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Sunland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TAM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Tampa Bay Downs[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.259[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.259[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TDN[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Thistledown[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turfway[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TUP[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turf Paradise[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2075[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2175[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2175[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]WO[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Woodbine[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1495[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]WRD[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Will Rogers Downs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ZIA[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Zia Park[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

One other aspect to my handicapping I neglected to mention here was simply watching races and making notes and when handicapping watching replays. A great example of this that sticks out to me was a couple of weeks ago Play and I discussed betting a race at Monmouth in the Saratoga thread and we bet a horse, Kharafa, which fortunately won. Play stated the horse was much the best after the race which I missed live and a novice might have wondered why he would state a horse who won by a neck was much the best. What he meant was the horse had to overcome all sorts of traffic and find a hole between horses late in the stretch before he could really accelerate but once he did he was much faster than the competition and was able to get the win. If you go to youtube and search for Trips and Traps, NYRA has a show which highlights horses who had what is called a bad trip, meaning the horse was compromised at least in some point of the race to not be able to fully run and conversely horses who won whose wins might have looked better than they actually were because the events in the race were in their favor and aided them.

Replays and trainer angles are the 2 reasons I prefer DRF Formulator past performances because there is a link to replays to all the horses races run in North America so I don't have to go search for replays. As for trainer angles you can filter numerous different combinations of factors and see how trainers horses perform historically under different circumstances. You can also click on sire and dam of each horse and see how their offspring have performed historically, this is something that can be helpful in handicapping juvenile and early 3yo maiden races, especially when added with the aforementioned trainers angles.

Mitigate may have been the wrong choice of words, maybe overcome would have been more appropriate. Mainly for the reason you mentioned in that larger bets by yourself are not costing you odds, also there is more "public" money bet in to the pools on the big race days and meets with more people betting names and numbers and not handicapping sharper information, all of which helps your ROI. The takeout on the exotic wagers is generally higher than WPS takeout and certain exotic wagers are almost unplayable at certain tracks because of it, the best example I know of being the trifecta wager at Parx (Penn National) is an almost criminal 31%, whereas the small Kentucky Downs meet and there relatively cheap takeout is becoming more popular with horse players and has a great handle. Below is a chart of most thoroughbred tracks takeout rates. In general we agree that takeout is too high and needs to be lowered.

[TABLE="class: basictable, width: 660"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]ABBR
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]TRACK
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]WPS
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]EXA
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]TRI
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]SPR
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]HI5
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]DD
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK3
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK4
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK5
[/TH]
[TH="class: blue, align: center"]PICK6
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ALB
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Albuquerque
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.19
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.25
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]NA
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]AP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Arlington
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.17
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.205
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.15
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]AQU
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Aqueduct
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.16
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.185
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.24
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ARP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Arapahoe
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.23
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ASD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Assiniboia
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.26
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.29
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ATL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Atlantic City
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]BEL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Belmont
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]BEU
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Beulah
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.18
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.225
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CBY
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Canterbury
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.14
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Churchill Downs
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.175
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.22
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CNL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Colonial Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CRC
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Calder
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.21
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.27
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.12
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]CT
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Charles Town
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1725
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DED
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Delta Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DEL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Delaware
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]DMR
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Del Mar
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1543
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2267
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2368
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ELP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ellis Park
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]EMD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Emerald Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.221
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]EVD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Evangeline
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FE
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fort Erie
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1695
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.262
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.282
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.173
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FG
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fair Grounds
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Finger Lakes
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FMT
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fair Meadows
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FON
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fonner Park
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fairmount Park
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]FPX
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Fairplex
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1677
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2402
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2502
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2402
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]GG
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Golden Gate
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2268
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]GP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Gulfstream
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HAS
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Hastings
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.218
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.273
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.263
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HAW
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Hawthorne
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]HOU
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Sam Houston
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]IND
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Indiana
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.215
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]KD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Kentucky Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1825
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]KEE
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Keeneland
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LA
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Los Alamitos
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1763
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2288
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LAD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Louisiana Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LRL
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Laurel
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2575
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]LS
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Lone Star
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]MNR
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Mountaineer
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1725
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]MTH
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Monmouth
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]NP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Northlands
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.145
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.248
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]OP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Oaklawn
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PEN
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Penn National
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.31
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.3
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PHA
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Philadelphia
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PID
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Presque Isle
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PIM
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Pimlico
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PM
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Portland Meadows
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]PRM
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Prairie Meadows
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RET
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Retama
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Remington
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]RUI
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Ruidoso
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SA
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Santa Anita
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SAR
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Saratoga
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SRP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]SunRay Park
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SUF
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Suffolk
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SUN
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Sunland
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TAM
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Tampa Bay Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.259
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.259
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TDN
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Thistledown
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turfway
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]TUP
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Turf Paradise
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2075
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2175
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.2175
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]WO
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Woodbine
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]0.1495
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]WRD
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Will Rogers Downs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]ZIA
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Zia Park
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Yes, I meant to correct myself on that Saturday night ... I played Maywood and was having a discussion and realized I was wrong.

So young gun in order to do mocks I want to use daily racing form to handicap but I just want to do mocks not play for money yet since I don't feel comfortable just losing every bet lol. Is there other ways to handicap to get the info or are there ways to get drf free

Drf used to have a race or 2 a day on their website they would have free past performances for but not sure if they still do, brisnet.com usually has a Pick 4 sequence from a select track each day they will list free pp's for, other than that you can try to check a tracks website for free pp information. As I stated earlier I will try to post the drf basic pp's in the Saratoga contest thread for each day.

thanks for this,
I have always wanted to learn to bet horses but never had an outlet..will read through thread in more depth as I did a quick look over.

:shake:

I love this thread. Like Lloyd, watching replays (taking notes during live and replay) and trainer angles main 2 parts of capping for me as well, track biases (part of notes and replays) are a factor, as is class, recent form and race dynamics, how will race be run? Lots of early speeds, no early speeds? All very important factors when capping a race.

Things I look at ... keep in mind this is harness racing

Trainers
-When looking at two year olds, I like to look to back trainers. I take it a step further and if I can get the price the horse was bought for I look for that too ... but usually the high priced two year olds are with the good trainers anyway. As these horses are all about finding the improvement, the trainer is huge. I would add that I do not like to fade steam on races with two year olds, as it is usually barn money.
-Otherwise, I find the trainers are usually accounted for by market other than when it is a change of trainer and then you are figuring out the difference ... I usually like second and third race after the trainer change for the improvement/decline but it is sometimes immediate.

Drivers
-first thing I like to do is see who had their choice of drives. If a lead driver has a choice of four horses and takes the one with a lesser trainer, it tells me that horse is good. You can be fooled by who the driver selects when he selects a horse from a leading barn as there can be political reasons outside of which horse he thinks is going to win that can lead him to that choice.
-driver change .. this can be big when you have an unknown driver or a driver who is also the trainer that has been driving but has now switched to a regular driver. Most people know the good drivers, so I like this angle more with going from trainer/small track driver to an average driver as compared to trainer/small track driver to a lead driver.

Trip:

-How are they going to line up at the start? This is the fundamental block for how the race should play out.

If I am backing a closer will he have pace to run at? Will he have live cover to follow? I won't back horses who will be tenth at the quarter pole .. just asking for too much. So for outside posts, is my closer capable of leaving for tactical position?

-Last qtr of the last race. If a horse ran an extremely fast last qtr but didn't quite get there it can often be a good sign the horse still had some in the tank and can run faster.

-Cover in the last race. Replay watching helps with this one but there is a huge difference between being second over with good cover and being second over behind a bum.

-Track size results. Some horses handle the tight turns of a half mile track better than other horses. This has to be adjusted for.

Lots more obviously but that is a good starter

More people than expected talking about trainer stats, still have to be taken into context..nothing is be all end all on trainer stats or tendencies..every situation is different, it's just another tool..Mott is 1 for 53 with 1sters last 3 spa meets and is 6/5, I have a reason to find value and be against the favorite. .scenario #2, I know the Mott stats but have a race that's part of a pk3 or pk4 sequence. .race appears to be wide open with many 1sters in the race, Mott's horse is well bred and 20-1 ML and figures to be a decent price when race goes off, I could use this one on my tix...like sports, horse racing is all about value as well

Things I look at ... keep in mind this is harness racing

Trainers
-When looking at two year olds, I like to look to back trainers. I take it a step further and if I can get the price the horse was bought for I look for that too ... but usually the high priced two year olds are with the good trainers anyway. As these horses are all about finding the improvement, the trainer is huge. I would add that I do not like to fade steam on races with two year olds, as it is usually barn money.
-Otherwise, I find the trainers are usually accounted for by market other than when it is a change of trainer and then you are figuring out the difference ... I usually like second and third race after the trainer change for the improvement/decline but it is sometimes immediate.

Drivers
-first thing I like to do is see who had their choice of drives. If a lead driver has a choice of four horses and takes the one with a lesser trainer, it tells me that horse is good. You can be fooled by who the driver selects when he selects a horse from a leading barn as there can be political reasons outside of which horse he thinks is going to win that can lead him to that choice.
-driver change .. this can be big when you have an unknown driver or a driver who is also the trainer that has been driving but has now switched to a regular driver. Most people know the good drivers, so I like this angle more with going from trainer/small track driver to an average driver as compared to trainer/small track driver to a lead driver.

Trip:

-How are they going to line up at the start? This is the fundamental block for how the race should play out.

If I am backing a closer will he have pace to run at? Will he have live cover to follow? I won't back horses who will be tenth at the quarter pole .. just asking for too much. So for outside posts, is my closer capable of leaving for tactical position?

-Last qtr of the last race. If a horse ran an extremely fast last qtr but didn't quite get there it can often be a good sign the horse still had some in the tank and can run faster.

-Cover in the last race. Replay watching helps with this one but there is a huge difference between being second over with good cover and being second over behind a bum.

-Track size results. Some horses handle the tight turns of a half mile track better than other horses. This has to be adjusted for.

Lots more obviously but that is a good starter
pocket trip winners are auto bet against next time out

perfect trips can certainly make the race line flattering like bad bar lighting.

I would also say to make note of how a track is playing on a certain night or in any given season. Sometimes the track has a bias to speed or closers. Also note which tracks have passing lanes and which do not. The lack of a passing lane is an advantage to speed obviously.

My buddy also keeps track variances which I look at when we do it together ... and he keeps notes on the wind (tail winds or head winds). This helps track the qtr times and also shows any increased work the lead horse or first over horse had to do. I don't have time for that crap but he does it so I use it.

As my month long, daily handicapping comes to an end I had a bitter sweet moment on Sunday and it was one of the many reasons why I spend hours studying and handicapping. I would be hard pressed to have someone show me what kind of Sports parlay, I would need to play to turn a $62.50 wager into $16,112.40. Don't get me wrong I love sports betting however, if you like sports you should like horse racing as they are far more consistent then any sports game.

Sunday was Festival of Champions day at Canterbury park my home track. I spent hours capping Saratoga, Del Mar, Monmouth and Canterbury. Out of all the tracks that day I assumed Canterbury would have the smallest pools, I was right. However what happened next I could have never expected.

Knowing things and paying attention come in handy, as I rarely do both. This time I knew Canterbury Park had recently hired on a new Morning Line maker, and have noticed his Morning Lines had been off. So when I saw the first two races in the pick 4 sequence, both had what I though of as vulnerable 7-5 ML odd favorites, I immediately wanted to find a way to beat those two knowing people would single the heavy ML favorite. In race one I used 5 horses. The winner of that race was 8-1 ML and bet down to 9-2. His last out he had lost to one of the horses entered by 4 lengths. That was his first time going two turns, and he was bound to improve second time going two turns. His running line said stumbled start. I saw that he rushed up midway through the race to get within a half a length then lost by 4. I figured with a clean trip, and 2nd time routing he could improve, he did and won at 9-2.

2nd race was a competitive sprint, where the local Favorite Polar plunge was 7-5 and bound to be overbet. Everyone knows that speed kills, and Polar Plunge has the speed of Helen Keller. 10-1 ML who had been battling in some underrated claiming races jumped up and won a thriller dueling all the way around. It helped that Dave Mello a 2% jockey was quietly replaced (not on the form) but in the paddock by hall of fame jockey Scott Stevens who carried him home at 16-1.

Now we are in business. The third leg, was a 2 year old sprint going 6 furlongs. None of these horses had ever run at 6 furlongs and the favorite was Pecos an undefeated 2 year old who was 3-3 winning once at Canterbury, then shipping to Assinaiboi Downs and winning 2 stakes races. I thought with 2 year olds anything can happen. The winning horse was 10-1 ML won first time out and unlike most 2 year olds, closed from off the pace in hand. The time was slow, but when you show the ability to close and are in hand the handicappers don't know how good the horse really is. They laid him off and pointed to this race. Due to the layoff and the slow time, he was overlooked at the window and went off at 28-1. He closed again from off the pace and paced all of the unproven sprinters who had won at 5 furlongs. NOW IT WAS TIME TO GET EXCITED.

I had no idea what to expect for a payout, my ticket was cheap and if I had found them someone else had as well. I realized I was the only ticket alive. I had singled the 9 horse "smooth Chiraz" in the last leg who was 7-2 ML and was not the favorite. I choose him cause his trainer trained 3 horses in the race including the favorite who had the top jockey riding him. However the jockey on the 9 had previously ridden the 5 (the favorite) and was now riding the 9. Upon further look the 9 also had a workout same day as the 5. The 9 worked 4 furlongs in 47 flat which is awesome for a 2 year old, while on the same day the favorite with top jockey had worked it in 48.2. After seeing the trainer owned and trained the 9, I thought for 80k purse I would be willing to bet he has some interest in 9 winning over the 5. The race was one for the books, and I am going to try and post the race in here as it was one of the most exciting races I have ever seen. At top of the stretch I thought I would win by 5, when they hit the wire I had thought I lost.

When it was all said and done I had won. The entire pool all to one winner. over $16,000 on a $62.50 wager. Attached are some of the photos from the day, and just one more reason why horse racing is amazing and I am more then willing to help anyone gain interest or answer questions. Look u the 7th race at Canterbury on September 6th as it is one of the most exciting you will see. The trainer, that race got his best outcome a 1-2-3 finish with the horse he owned winning the race "ironic".

View attachment 39421View attachment 39422View attachment 39423View attachment 39424

[video]http://www.canterburypark.com/LiveRacing/RaceReplays/tabid/107/Default.aspx[/video]

The info in this thread is ridiculous. Unfortunately, this is not for everyone. I tried it for 3 months a couple years ago but just couldn't get into it. It's not my cup of tea and just requires way too much research for my liking. Just so much easier for me to do what I do betting on sports. Good luck

The info in this thread is ridiculous.

I hope it is ridiculous in a good way, as my only goal is to garner more interest in what could be a dying sport. It definitely is not for everyone, but there is a lot of similarities in how you handicap a sports game versus a horse race. Just want to spread knowledge about what can be in betting horses. Thanks for checking out the thread!

Sweet scoop and a great recap, what a thrill ride that must've been, congrats! :cheers3:

P.S. Feel free to post the pics of your girl rolling around naked on the Benjamin's in the NSFW folder. Then we all win! :popcorn:

Young I asked in another thread but can't seem to find it

They opened a casino about 45 minutes away from me near Gillette Stadium called Plainridge Park that has live horses. I only have Mondays off which is when they do live racing so ideally I'd like to go each Monday and learn the sport.

Is this a large track? Any suggestions on getting started?

This is their schedule if you care to take a look -

Appreciate all the kind words, it was luck over skill that is for sure. That is one thing I love about horse racing is it is competitive and you play versus other players versus the house, I can't stress that enough.

Slaptron, I checked out the website, looks like a nice place. I will be honest and tell you I have absolutely no clue how to handicap or analyze harness races. I personally don't find them as exciting or interesting as thoroughbred racing, but to each there own. Monday's are usually a slow racing day. I would recommend doing mock tickets. Handicap anyday you like. There is plenty of days where I handicap a card and put together mythical wagers, then I go back and watch the replays. That is one way you can see what you missed, and get some things that work for you and what you like to look for. Some thoroughbred racing that runs on Monday would be Finger Lakes and Delaware. I think these would be a good starting ground for you, and I could look at the forms as well for comparisons. These tracks are smaller, and likely somewhat close to you being in Delaware and New Jersey.

Good luck to all, and let's keep this discussion rolling.

Back