Rankings Time

True.

I think

1) time to subdivide IA / FCS
2) give the conference champions exclusive entry to any playoff system - no panels, no committees, no votes

Truth

Edsall was asked if the American Athletic Conference is getting the respect it deserves.

“No, I don't,” he said. “There's too much emphasis placed on all this Power Five stuff and everything else. Just take a look. People don't cover anything but the Power Five, for the most part. [UCF] has beaten Big Ten teams [Maryland]. They're undefeated. Their schedule might be as tough as others."

“Something has to be done. The way we are right now, if you're going to just say eliminate the other people from the mix, then just … those five conferences, let them have their own deal. But right now that's not the way it is. I've been in the Big Ten and I’ve been in the ACC. [The AAC] is a very good conference, a very competitive conference"

So what should happen?

When you go to a bowl at 6-6, we're doing what America is doing ... enabling and entitling people on stuff that's not worthy of being enabled or entitled. — Randy Edsall

“Have a playoff system — not with four teams and not decided by people who go in and just look at certain material,” Edsall said. “[The NCAA] talks about the student-athlete. It’s a joke that they talk about the student-athlete. Because here, student-athletes go out and they win their conferences and they don't even get a chance to compete for a championship, nationally. It's all about beauty points and style points and maybe your name and all those sort of things.”

Edsall said it is unfair to place too much emphasis on strength of schedule because teams schedule opponents up to six years out and don’t know how good the team will be when they play.

“To put that in it and disregard if you win your championship? I have a hard time with that,” Edsall said. “I think, you win your conference, you should be involved in a playoff.”

“Get rid of the bowls,” Edsall added. “Get rid of them. They don't serve the purpose anymore. When you can go to a bowl at 6-6 or 5-7, we're doing what America is doing — we're enabling and entitling people on stuff that's not worthy of being enabled or entitled to.”

Edsall said if there’s going to be such separation between the Power Five and Group of Five schools, the NCAA should just make a separate division, “if that’s what they want to do, if they want to discriminate against people. … It's stupid. UCF is a very good team. They’re undefeated. They're only one of how many undefeated teams in college football? They’re playing the schedule they were supposed to play.”

Wow UCF beat a Maryland team with that defense and their third-string quarterback. I'm so convinced:cheerclap:

But I agree bowls are clearly losing the importance that they're supposed to. 6-6 who cares. There's that whole month of December devoted to random bowls without significance. Maybe there can be something like an NCAA and NIT tournament where the latter except in rare cases determined by sos and resume is reserved for non power-5

Coaches have sympathy for other coaches or teams not getting their due. And plenty of coaches have expressed support for a larger more inclusive national championship system.

But not sure I've heard a coach come out and say that 6-6 and 5-7 teams don't deserve a bowl.

I like having the game to watch and wager on, but really these bowls games are all about ESPN selling commercials, have inventory for their channels and the host city bringing in some revenue. They are pretty much just made for TV events, nobody goes to the games except for family of the players and the most diehard fans and students.

And then Edsell connecting that to what is going on in America with rewarding people for mediocrity, that was pretty spot on.

UCF would be in my final four right now and I think they suck. But no one has proven they can be beat yet. That is to say, I think they are the worst undefeated midmajor team since I have fought for equality.

Poor UCF. Irma wiped out their only chance by causing the cancellation of the Georgia Tech game. Georgia Tech is an above-average power-5 team, but that's not really the point. The point is that Georgia Tech plays Clemson, Miami, and Georgia. That's three top-10 teams UCF would have shared a common opponent with.

What if UCF slammed Tech 45-7, compared to Miami's one-point win, Clemson's 24-10 win, and whatever happens with Georgia?

Poor UCF. Irma wiped out their only chance by causing the cancellation of the Georgia Tech game. Georgia Tech is an above-average power-5 team, but that's not really the point. The point is that Georgia Tech plays Clemson, Miami, and Georgia. That's three top-10 teams UCF would have shared a common opponent with.

What if UCF slammed Tech 45-7, compared to Miami's one-point win, Clemson's 24-10 win, and whatever happens with Georgia?

It's a great point about that game. I think they would have lost it (In fact, I think I bet GT that week and it got cancelled) but it would have been interesting had they blown out GT or handled them easily.

Coaches have sympathy for other coaches or teams not getting their due. And plenty of coaches have expressed support for a larger more inclusive national championship system.

But not sure I've heard a coach come out and say that 6-6 and 5-7 teams don't deserve a bowl.

I like having the game to watch and wager on, but really these bowls games are all about ESPN selling commercials, have inventory for their channels and the host city bringing in some revenue. They are pretty much just made for TV events, nobody goes to the games except for family of the players and the most diehard fans and students.

And then Edsell connecting that to what is going on in America with rewarding people for mediocrity, that was pretty spot on.

Culture of mediocrity. We buy as consumers what we want so that we rest content with material security and don't care to strive for greatness. We have virtual reality like video games to be great in.

I'm not interested in a true champion. I think every game should be a championship in its own right. Match up with your natural and historical rivals. Play a conference schedule if you want a "true" championship. Throw in a couple more matchups for fun and money. I have no interest in my team (Clemson) being declared superior to teams we didn't play. This march toward centralization of wealth, power, and everything else -- including college football scheduling -- has got to stop.

Last edited:
Wisconsin 61st ranked schedule per sagarin
UCF 83rd ranked schedule per sagarin

Both undefeated ...1 is in the playoffs and the other is behind a 3 loss team

Why is Georgia behind Bama?

They have the same loss.

Georgia beat the CFP #15 team.

Messy State is still ranked for some reason but Georgia beat the brakes off them while Bama had to come back to win in the final minute.

Why is Auburn an auto #2? They have 2 losses, albeit to good teams and they beat good teams. Oklahoma also has very good wins.

UCF -- nuff said.

Miss St. beat a 4-7 Arkansas team, better leapfrog them over an unbeaten UCF team

fucking joke

you can see what they're doing and bar pointed it out several weeks ago where they did it with LSU. you elevate teams they beat to justify keeping them higher. they want bama in if any of the top 4 lose and this helps their case.

UCF would be in my final four right now and I think they suck. But no one has proven they can be beat yet. That is to say, I think they are the worst undefeated midmajor team since I have fought for equality.

I think UCF would butt rape colt brennan.

you can see what they're doing and bar pointed it out several weeks ago where they did it with LSU. you elevate teams they beat to justify keeping them higher. they want bama in if any of the top 4 lose and this helps their case.

the committee has gone away from the purpose of the top 4. The aim is to find the true national champion. The purpose of the semi's isn't to reward the "best 4 teams" but as a process to help find the best team. UCF may be the best team in the country, they may be the 30th best, but we will never know. Other teams are eliminated because they weren't good enough to win their conference.

The AAC seems to be doing ok with UCF, Houston and Memphis the last few years, along with their coaches hired to bigger schools. Maybe the conference isn't as bad as many make it out to be. But come Sunday, Ohio States win against Rutgers will mean more then UCF beating Memphis (probably) twice

And how can you be a national champion without being conference champion? How did that work for Ohio State last year? But Alabama have beaten 5 teams with a winning record, and 2 of them were MW teams, so lets put them in

I know I'm preaching to the converted on some of this, but it is either straight up collusion or plain incompetence in action

its a very odd system

to have a "power 5" and then have 4 play off spots

then a "group of 5" that almost never have a chance at getting in....

Here is my top 10 (I included 11 so nobody would think I forgot Ohio State). Ranking resume, not guessing who would beat who.

1. Clemson 11-1 – 7 wins vs bowl teams, best wins vs 10-2 Auburn 14-6 plus at 9-3 VT and at 9-3 LV...Loss at 4-8 Syracuse 24-27
*note Clemson more well rounded team with a high quality defense*
2. Oklahoma 11-1 – 7 wins vs bowl teams, best win at 10-2 Ohio St 31-16 plus home vs 10-2 TCU and at 9-3 Okla St...Loss home vs 7-5 ISU 31-38

3. Auburn 10-2 – 5 wins vs bowl teams, best wins home vs 11-1 Georgia 40-17, home vs 11-1 Alabama 26-14...Loses at 11-1 Clemson 6-14 and at 9-3 LSU 23-27

4. Wisconsin 12-0 – 4 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 9-3 FAU 31-14, home vs 7-5 Iowa 38-14, home vs 8-4 Michigan 24-10

5. Georgia 11-1 – 6 wins vs bowl teams, best win at 9-3 Notre Dame 20-19...Loss at 10-2 Auburn 17-40.

6. Alabama 11-1 - 5 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 9-3 LSU 24-10, home vs 9-3 Fresno 41-10...Loss at 10-2 Auburn 14-26

7. UCF 12-0 – 6 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 11-1 Memphis 40-13, home vs 9-2 USF 49-42.

8. Miami 11-1 – 5 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 9-3 VT 28-10, home vs 9-3 Notre Dame 41-8...Loss at 5-7 Pitt 14-24

9. USC 10-2 – 7 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 9-3 Stanford 42-24....Loses at 9-3 Washington St 27-30, at 9-3 Notre Dame 14-49

10. TCU 10-2 – 6 wins vs bowl teams, best win at 9-3 Oklahoma State 44-31...Loses at 7-5 ISU 7-14, at 11-1 Oklahoma 20-38

11. Ohio State 10-2 – 4 wins vs bowl teams, best win home vs 10-2 Penn State 39-38...Loses home vs 11-1 Oklahoma 16-31, at 7-5 Iowa 21-55

thanks but my name isn't suck...LOL. probably auto correct on a phone! It's cool, unless you meant it...haha

Reactions: KJ
S--k, Great list... just like cub mentioned... i would like to flip a few around and ask your thoughts
I would flip wisky & aub then Bama & UCF. Just those 2 changes.

I would almost like to move UCF to 5 as i see Jorga & UCF being very close.
the question is do you rank UCF #5 for not losing a game and having 6 wins vs bowl teams or rank Jorga #5 with the 6 wins but having the best win vs Notre Dame on their resume and the loss being to #4 Aub (which they get the chance to redeem themselves sat)

Cub- who would your "flips" be .... just curious?

Last edited:
I would put Bama ahead of Georgia and I think I would have OU #1. I'd have TCU ahead of USC as well. I am more likely to penalize bad losses. You lose a close game, fine, whatever, but don't lose to 4-8 teams and don't get blown out by 4 or 5 touchdowns.

That's always my deal too, much prefer to penalize bad losses a tad more than good wins. Obviously that doesn't sell advertising so it's moot to this whole thing but just can't unsee that loss to Cuse and if Miami beats them this week the U deserves to be in. Bad loss as well of course, but the domination of ND (who was in at the time) counts a bit too and then potential win over Clemson

But how can you penalize UCF for not having a loss? Is it for not having a good win? I can absolutely understand the Jorga vs Bama argument and may actually be sold on it, if we were in a room discussing and ranking them ourselves.

Just trying to role play as if "WE are the ones doing the rankings"

I'm okay with UCF basically anywhere as long as they are 7th or better and behind Wisconsin. I also agree that if they aren't in the top 4 next week that we have no idea who the best team is.

But how can you penalize UCF for not having a loss? Is it for not having a good win? I can absolutely understand the Jorga vs Bama argument and may actually be sold on it, if we were in a room discussing and ranking them ourselves.

Just trying to role play as if "WE are the ones doing the rankings"
You can't, it's the merry go round discussion we have every year and just wears me down

They should most definitely be in there if undefeated and Cub's point about the GT cancelation was spot on

If FSU beats La Monroe on Saturday, Alabama gets another win vs a bowl team
:shake:

and i do give bama a little credit for that fsu win as it was with Francois and he is worlds better than blackmon

If Clem is #1 and they will have to play #4 team. Wow. Rewarding #1 team w/ a Bama or Ohio St.

Really doesn't matter who is 4.
It's gonna be Clem vs Okla.
no matter who gets in.
This is all for money. Bama will fill up the Sugar Bowl. And have fans just show up there to hang out

If Clem is #1 and they will have to play #4 team. Wow. Rewarding #1 team w/ a Bama or Ohio St.

Two years ago, #1 Clemson had to play Oklahoma instead of the worst team that will ever make the playoff, a Michigan State team that was maybe the 30th- or 40th-best team in the country.

Something I noticed today, unbelievable, Clemson has not been favored in a bowl game since 2011. That marks 7 straight dog roles in bowl games, Tigers are 6-1 SU and 7-0 ATS. They are dogged again this year!

This has the appeal of drinking expired milk

So bad

And I don't drink milk

I looked at the 6 BCS computers. For UCF throwing out the highest rank (1-Peter Wolfe) and lowest (16-Sagarin) and averaging the remaining 4 which is what the BCS methodology did, UCF would rank 5.5. Alabama and Ohio St computer avg would both be tied for 5th. The committee ranked UCF 12th (one of the headlines I read said "UCF gets love" LOL). Alabama and Ohio State are 4 and 5.

I looked at the 6 BCS computers. For UCF throwing out the highest rank (1-Peter Wolfe) and lowest (16-Sagarin) and averaging the remaining 4 which is what the BCS methodology did, UCF would rank 5.5. Alabama and Ohio St computer avg would both be tied for 5th. The committee ranked UCF 12th (one of the headlines I read said "UCF gets love" LOL). Alabama and Ohio State are 4 and 5.
DQIyaD7WsAAzFHv.png

The human polls are what hold the midmajor teams back, in this case UCF, and elevate all the P5 and blue blood teams. Take a look at the individual computers, you will see, UCF average rank among 4 of the 6 used to calculate that computer score is 5.5. Exactly one half of a spot behind Alabama and Ohio State.

Back