Quarterbacks under 28

Cam Newton’s one-year run as NFL MVP will soon come to an end thanks to his sub-par season and the Carolina Panthers missing the playoffs. So who would get his vote for this year’s award?
Newton believes injured Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr should supplant him.
“For him, and his importance to his team,” Newton said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “When we played Oakland, it was a different team. When he came back in … the energy was just as impactful as anybody coming back in the game, and what he meant to his team was everything. That’s why I’d vote for him.”

Yep he said it but guessing there will be some behind closed doors politicking since he looked so bad this year. Can't just expect him to turn it back up next year and he's a concussion away from not knowing his name

to add to the above about what QB teams might want

Schefter said today Pats want a 1 and a 4 for Jimmy in a trade

They've worked his value up well, don't know if they get that or not, and again I think it depends on the team as to whether it's worth it. Some are way more than a QB away and need the picks, a couple aren't. He could shit the bed, or in the right organization could shine. Such is the life of an NFL QB really.

Could see the Browns doing that with the Eagles 1st and 4th, with how many picks they have I think the risk is worth it

then use 1.1 on BPA, or if someone in the top 5 or maybe 10 falls in love with a QB (seems to be Trubisky and Kizer right now)

to add to the above about what QB teams might want

Schefter said today Pats want a 1 and a 4 for Jimmy in a trade

They can want all they wish but only the Vikings are stupid enough to pay that price.

Cassell and Vrabel only got the 34th pick overall out of the Chiefs...nobody is giving up a 1st and a 4th for Jimmy G

Um Cam over Carr? No thanks.

It would be interesting to see an honest GM poll (haha) as to what they'd think between those two, guessing runaway for Carr

Not sure it'd be a runaway for either guy, would be interesting to see the results of that.

Not to beat a dead horse, but one thing that would be a runaway from those same honest GMs would be Wentz not being in any of their top 5's. Maybe his own team would, just for fear the list would be published for all to see, but that would be the only way.

No. Wentz maybe but Goff hell no.

And it's laughable to have Carr ahead of a league MVP in Cam. If every player in the NFL became a FA tomorrow their isn't a single franchise that wouldn't pick Cam over Carr.

3 years from now I think Carr might be considered the best QB in the league. The way officials let Cam get killed on the field, he'll be lucky to be walking in 3 years.

3 years from now I think Carr might be considered the best QB in the league. The way officials let Cam get killed on the field, he'll be lucky to be walking in 3 years.

Agreed, for the most part. The officials haven't necessarily called the penalties against Cam they should have, but there's more to it than that.

First, there are a handful of calls (at most), according to whomever it was that went back and checked (I forget who it was), which occurred in the pocket over his entire career...which leads to the second point...Cam brings most of that onto himself with how he plays and throws himself around, putting himself in the situations to get hit the way he does. The third point, connected to the second, would be that regardless of how many penalties the officials call, Cam is still putting himself in the situations to get battered around, and penalties being called isn't going to stop that at all.

the Jimmy G thing to me is interesting, like I said he could be a Cassel and I would be worried about anything coming out of NE and the Bellichek bubble because in the past they (Cassel, the coaches) have failed

say for example the Bills cut Tyrod loose rather than paying, and Washington doesnt Franchise Cousins and he's an FA. The Jets, Browns, 49ers, Jags, Bears definitely need a QB. Also the Redskins and Bills would too assuming the above happens

plus you have the Texans and Broncos with win now teams everywhere outside the QB position too

Jimmy, Cousins, Tyrod are the clear long term top 3. Romo is there too

plus Bortles, Cutler, Harvard and the rest of the lesser options

I would guess the first 3 are only options for the first group, and Romo only makes sense for a win now team

But I wonder who those teams who want a long term QB would want

I would go Cousins/Tyrod/Jimmy but I would say Jimmy's ceiling is probably highest, but so is his Cassel potential

Brady will be 40 at the start of next season, so Jimmy won't be going anywhere. When age catches up with sportsmen they don't get it back

Luck has done well with shit coaching and what surrounds him. Put him in any of these other teams with their roster and their coaches

This is a fun conversation and I really enjoy talking about these QBs. It is so interesting to me because, in my opinion, a QB is the most important player on the field in any sport, BUT at the same time, the surroundings are so so important.

I think Dak has done an incredible job. It hurts to say that being such a Philly fan, but there is nothing you can take away from him. However, put him on the browns and hes no better than Kessler did.

Stafford is fine (I think he is a little overrated) but I think if you put Luck on the Lions in the last 5 years they have some NFC Championship appearances and maybe even a SB. Luck is that good and not enough people understand how bad of a situation they have him in there.

There are so few guys who can lead a team to a SB, but even those guys, if you give him a crappy OL/bad coaching/poor weapons, could end up 3-13. It makes it very hard to rank based on sheer talent because some of these guys abilities are hidden behind crappy situations. Some guys will go an entire career in terrible situations and develop the stigma of being a crappy QB, when if they ended up in a different spot, could have been considered very good

1) Luck
2) Cam Newton
3) Wilson
4) Mariota
5) Carr
6) Stafford
7) Dak
8) Cousins
9) Winston
10) Tyrod
I
like your list alot....except the order...move Luck down, Wilson down, Dak up somehow and I like that

Dak is the best of these QBs....he has a serious running game and elite WR that helps him, but he looks real good

Luck I thought would be great...I know some things are missing on the team, but he can look like utter shit sometimes

OOps....just saw Cousins on there....nah, take him off

I like Taylor too....needs some growing but he reminds me kinda of Aaron Brooks with a brain

Mariota looks legit and could definitely move up the list in years coming

I like Staff too.....but something just off with him....has he ever won a playoff game? Never seems to win a big one

just quick thoughts

in terms of the rookies, obviously Dak goes higher in the draft, but wouldn't teams still rather have Goff or Wentz?

All Dak has shown so far is in the perfect scenario he won't fuck things up, to me his floor is the highest because of that but who know's ceiling or likelihood of it

Lynch too I forgot
No
Dak is a winner......I like him better. I think he is just proving it again that people slept on him....much like LSU

And it's laughable to have Carr ahead of a league MVP in Cam. If every player in the NFL became a FA tomorrow their isn't a single franchise that wouldn't pick Cam over Carr.
agree

i think everyone takes Cam too

I do really really like CArr tho

I do think Cam has evolved as a face of the team guy, much more than I thought. Seems into the community and matured to a degree (the tie thing was odd), I'm just not sold that he's a big time football first guy.
how
so?

seems like that is exaxtly what he is to me

No
Dak is a winner......I like him better. I think he is just proving it again that people slept on him....much like LSU

So you think Dak goes 1.1?

To me we learned nothing on Goff this year because of his situation and lack of playing time

Wentz to me is a weirder situation, I didnt see every snap he took but he was so good early and reslly horrible for thr lsst 3/4 of the season, his under pressure numbers were really bad too. But ive seen two arguments made, one that it was o line injuries and he had no shot, the more cynical that teams finally got tape on him against quality defenses and adjusted to taking away stuff he liked to do

Dak a winner I think we need to wait a few weeks for, if he csn go toe to toe with Rodgers, Ryan or Russ and win then he's a winner. I just think so far he's basically proven he can be a very good alex Smith like QB who minimizes mistakes and can make plays but consider this

How many games this year has Dak won them

Thats not to say he wont be the guy going forward, just its hard to tell with his situation that he's definitely the best QB of this class

To me we learned nothing on Goff this year because of his situation and lack of playing time

Wentz to me is a weirder situation, I didnt see every snap he took but he was so good early and reslly horrible for thr lsst 3/4 of the season, his under pressure numbers were really bad too. But ive seen two arguments made, one that it was o line injuries and he had no shot, the more cynical that teams finally got tape on him against quality defenses and adjusted to taking away stuff he liked to do

Dak a winner I think we need to wait a few weeks for, if he csn go toe to toe with Rodgers, Ryan or Russ and win then he's a winner. I just think so far he's basically proven he can be a very good alex Smith like QB who minimizes mistakes and can make plays but consider this

Thats not to say he wont be the guy going forward, just its hard to tell with his situation that he's definitely the best QB of this class
yes
if the question is, in a re-draft does Dak go 1? I say yes, convincingly

Dak may lose year one going against those guys, but the future is really bright for the boys i think

i cannot remember a better draft by a team

Well I think bosa goes 1.1 to be fair but if its just qb's its a great argument that becomes much clearer in a month cause I can see a side for all 3

Also tough to say cowboys with best draft when in a few years Jalen ramsey will likely be way more valuable than zeke just because of position, and also Raiders got Mack and Carr in same draft 2 years ago I dono hoe you top that in recent memory

yes
if the question is, in a re-draft does Dak go 1? I say yes, convincingly

Dak may lose year one going against those guys, but the future is really bright for the boys i think

i cannot remember a better draft by a team

No, wouldn't see this happening at all. Dak is, as most have stated, simply in a perfect situation. Someone better versed in the advanced stats can get into it more, but one stat I know is passes over 20 yds completed (and possibly attempted) is where Dak is last in the league. He's winning like Tebow won games (not the same way with defense, but the overall situation), looking a little better (well a lot better but that's not saying much) throwing the ball than Tebow did.

The whole "he's a winner" thing is nothing more than coach speak and analyst speak. It's a football game, the win/loss record of the QB is probably the least important stat there is...it's a team game by a long shot.

Even the cynical side of the Wentz argument: hes still one year from playing at NDSU. Not even like he was in the SEC or even the MAC for cryin out loud. So even if the argument is that the league caught on to him, I am ok with the fact that he didn't come back at them immediately. I think he has a ton of tools to work with and is going to be very special

without reading anything, strictly off the OP:

Mariota, Wilson, Cousins/Carr, Winston, Stafford, Luck, Dak, Tannehill, Wentz Tyrod, Bridgewater, Siemian, Goff, Lynch, Bortles

Wentz is coached by a former QB, OC is a former QB. Dak is coached by an ex QB. Their rise was always going to be more rapid as a result, but I think it just means they reach their plateau earlier. Goff was coached by a former defensive player (now fired) and his OC was a OL and TE coach. His growth rate was always going to be slower

Even the cynical side of the Wentz argument: hes still one year from playing at NDSU. Not even like he was in the SEC or even the MAC for cryin out loud. So even if the argument is that the league caught on to him, I am ok with the fact that he didn't come back at them immediately. I think he has a ton of tools to work with and is going to be very special

That's simply the inner fan speaking.

I don't see RGIII, Kessler, or Hogan on any lists?
I do like Kessler tip.
i am not going to pull a dwoww n say BS he hears Ron jaworski say n make it my own for certain qbs
good feet
great vision
i watched a ton of tape, it's my hobby
o nevermind

I do like Kessler tip.
i am not going to pull a dwoww n say BS he hears Ron jaworski say n make it my own for certain qbs
good feet
great vision
i watched a ton of tape, it's my hobby
o nevermind

His arm strong enough to complete passes this time of the year outdoors like a Roethlisberger or Flacco ?

His arm strong enough to complete passes this time of the year outdoors like a Roethlisberger or Flacco ?

I haven't seen it. Kid looked pretty tough and took care of the ball, on a terrible team. But can't really sling it and holds on to the ball too long, thus the multiple concussions in half a season. Ideally the Browns back-up QB for years to come.

On the real list (the non-Browns), surprised more don't have Winston a few notches up. His ceiling might be as high as any of these guys, made strides this year ...

On the real list (the non-Browns), surprised more don't have Winston a few notches up. His ceiling might be as high as any of these guys, made strides this year ...

Having watched the Bucs @ Cowboys game pretty attentively I can honestly say that I would not trade Dak for Jameis. I understand you can't overstate how good a situation Dak walked into with a special running back and a solid group of receivers and playing behind a great offensive line but Jameis simply doesn't take care of the ball and has a bit of accuracy issues and Dak is better using his feet.

Should I have Jameis in front of Cousins....very possibly considering Cousins is already 28 while Jameis is still only 22 but Cousins has only been a full time starter for 2 seasons now and still has room to improve.

Former league MVP in a year that was the exception not the rule. I highly doubt any gm would take Scam over Carr, well lambs and browns might and that why they would continue being terrible.

I just don't see it. I certainly agree he has room for improvement and I was shocked by the fast start out of ndst but when I actually sit down and watch him I don't see anything more than a middling average at best NFL qb.

I just don't see it. I certainly agree he has room for improvement and I was shocked by the fast start out of ndst but when I actually sit down and watch him I don't see anything more than a middling average at best NFL qb.

Most anyone who is seeing something in Wentz is simply an Eagles' fan. It happens.

i'm surprised so many love Luck as much as they do.

He holds the ball too long and makes so many stupid decisions

i'm surprised so many love Luck as much as they do.

He holds the ball too long and makes so many stupid decisions

In fairness that organization has done him absolutely no favors. IMO there very few if any guys that would have faired much better than he has being drafted to replace a legend, mediocre skill players around him, a terrible oline, miserable coaching.

He been playing against a stacked deck his entire career and has taken a beating most qbs only have nightmares about. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but there no denying this team bottom feeders without him and any successes they have had been squarely on his shoulders.

there's just no way i'm taking him before Wilson, Cam or Mariota and people seem to be unanimously doing that

there's just no way i'm taking him before Wilson, Cam or Mariota and people seem to be unanimously doing that
I don't know man, not having Luck at least in the top 2 seems a bit off. Luck is a true NFL QB who can do it for 15+ years like all of the greats. He "holds the ball too long" because his WRs aren't open and he knows he can still make the play if he just gets that fraction of a second longer. Is it a fact he actually holds the ball longer than most, or does it just look that way as he's almost always under pressure and throws with someone in his face more often than not. Arm strength wise, "being able to make all of the throws," general QB and football IQ (reading coverages, audibling, etc)...he's off the charts.

"Stupid decisions" are, or can be, quite relative. Again, he HAS to make plays and take chances because of the situations he's constantly put in. Lots of QBs make horrible decisions, it kinda comes with the territory and simply shows the gun slinger mentality that most successful QB (long term) have had and do have.

He's also sneakily mobile, similar to Rodgers I guess you could say (maybe there's a better example, not sure....he's not a "running QB" like the 3 others you mentioned, maybe that's what you look at most and why you'd have those guys up there?) and just has that pocket presence to move around and keep plays alive. If Luck was in a situation like Wilson, or Dak this season, at any point in his career, he'd probably have a ring by now. If he does for another decade what he's done up until this point, he's pretty much a shoe-in HOFer, is he not? I guess he may have to win one ring to make it a certainty, but he's the best "NFL QB" on that list quite easily it seems (to most, at least).

I am still thinking about guys further down but for me there's a top 4

Luck
Carr
Wilson
Cam

and then I think its a drop to the next group of a few guys

I also think once he gets a team around him there's a good chance it's a big drop after Luck to those next 3 guys

:shake2:

Maybe a top 3 for me with Luck, Carr, and Cam but I can understand this as I'd have Wilson 4th on the list most likely. Also agree that it's Luck kinda head and shoulders above the rest, and would be more easily proven if he had the team around him some of these guys do/have.

agree that Luck is more mobile than he's ever gotten credit for and that QBs make a ton of dumb mistakes, but i feel like people have written off his time in IND due to what is around him and still hold that utopian idea from when he was at Stanford coming into the league as the next Peyton...

Wilson only one I think there a legit argument for.

Cam goes near bottom of list for me, his MVP season was the outlier, rest of his career has looked much more similar to this season, he will always struggle to complete 60% and the shots he takes gonna continue to render the best part of his game more obsolete every season.

I preferred jamis over mariota coming out and still do. I dont even think it close, what titans doing around marriota I think fits him great but far as pure arm talent, leadership, prototypical qb ability Winston head and shoulders the choice.

Im shocked you would take mariota over luck! I'm wrong all the time so certainly not saying my opinion any more valid than anyone else's but that insane imo. I don't believe for a second any gm in this league would take mariota over luck, I honestly think mariota be middle of this group at best while luck most likely be the top pick of most.

Back