Premier League predictions

gunner4ever

Pretty much a regular
Alright, time for some early predictions for what should be a great Premier League season. Still time to change our minds until end of August and the close of the transfer window, but I'm interested in your top 4 predictions in order and where Leicester will finish in the table.

From the ingame earlier and will likely regret even posting it, but:

Initial top 10 predict for me, can't wait to see how wrong this is:

Tottenham
City
United
Arse
Leicester
Chelsea
Pool
Stoke
Palace
West Ham

Pool are such a wild card for me though, could finish top two imo so I might be low on them

So you have Tottenham champions? That's interesting and could very well be, lots of challengers besides the 2 Manchesters which are favorites before the start of the season.
Liverpool not sure as well where they finish, but I don't think in the top 4.

I like the Mane and Grujic pickups and think they compete and end up in that fourth place area. I think Manchester United is the team to beat but City and Arsenal are right there. I think Chelsea ends up around fifth or sixth this season. Think leicester finishes middle of the pack.

Spurs have the talent and continuity. I like that and yes I know the history but think they should be favored

If leicester does not finish middle of the pack, it ruins the story of last year anyway. hehe

Now as a fan I don't think City lose a match second half of the season, leggo!

Back line needs some fixing though, can't believe Kolarov is still gonna be a fixture ffs

If leicester does not finish middle of the pack, it ruins the story of last year anyway. hehe

Will be difficult for them especially with the 6 extra matches in the Champions League, possibly even more since they will be seeded 1st good chance to advance if they avoid a bad draw.
Also Ranieri didn't need to make a lot of changes last season all his top guys stayed fit all season, this time they will need some time off with more games and don't think they will have the bench depth to rotate successfully to stay at the top of the league.
And last year it was the feel good story, remember when everyone cheered for Chelsea to beat the Spurs to clinch it for Leicester; now they will be the hunted team all will want to beat the champions.

Now as a fan I don't think City lose a match second half of the season, leggo!

Back line needs some fixing though, can't believe Kolarov is still gonna be a fixture ffs

I don't think he will be fwiw .. at least not all year. This is especially true because he has a fan target on his back so any mistakes he makes (which will be enough) are just gonna seem that much worse.

Midfield gonna be fucking sick VK, curious to see it play out

Backline and Hart :hang:

Will be difficult for them especially with the 6 extra matches in the Champions League, possibly even more since they will be seeded 1st good chance to advance if they avoid a bad draw.
Also Ranieri didn't need to make a lot of changes last season all his top guys stayed fit all season, this time they will need some time off with more games and don't think they will have the bench depth to rotate successfully to stay at the top of the league.
And last year it was the feel good story, remember when everyone cheered for Chelsea to beat the Spurs to clinch it for Leicester; now they will be the hunted team all will want to beat the champions.

Yup. I think you sum it up pretty good.

Midfield is where most games are won, other than when it is dominated by teams without a true finisher. Don't think that is a problem for City.

Haven't seen enough Joe Hart to know that he sucks but I assume you have, lol

Do you think Guardiola will be looking to replace Hart or at least get another to challenge him? He likes his goalkeepers with good feet to build play from the back so I can't imagine Hart will play throughout Guardiola's time in Manchester. I have read tabloid talk about a supposed interest in Ter Stegen but he should be number one at Barca. He does have a release clause but not cheap

I really thought Ter Stegen was a done deal honestly but nope. Hart has saved plenty of matches in the past but he can be so bad and if VK isn't 100% the back line could give it up like a $2 hooker

Thought Kompany was gonna be fine? Not so?

Well let's face it, that isn't just a come back injury, gonna take some time. And really, it shows how fragile the league is...one injury and it's just piecing things together. Back line is thin. Pretty simple.

Surprised Pep hasn't solidified depth there....other than that, the transfer period has been a homerun.

Not too sure if this year is more of a Wildcard then last year?
Both Manchester clubs aren't primed to win this year but will be long term success stories.
Spurs really look like the only club that is steady and has improved. Consistency will be their main stay, however, CL will definitely provide an intriguing set up for Poch. Definitely has the depth with the youth set up and midfield as well. Not a club that alters too much during the season.

I'm just waiting to see what happens to Arsenal if Giroud gets injured. There's bound to be a key player on that squad that either has a season ending injury or is gone for a large part of the year. Still missing a midfield enforcer what seems like over a decade. Wenger still up to his old usual self, there's nothing drastic and I think the Arsenal fans will again be left disappointed with a round of 16 or Q-Final CL exit and another mediocre league finish by the fans standard.

Not sure buying Pogba for all that money was a wise strategic move. Marketing wise, sure they will sell a ton of jersey's but United still have some other gaps to fill up. Mourinho has been very diligent with new teams so I expect them to win next season. Winning this year would actually be a bit more of a surprise.

City also need to shore up a few other things, back line is a bit suspect, they won't have a problem scoring but hopefully those fuckers are ready for Pep's fitness test, they will be covering a shit ton of mileage probably the most in the league so I do expect them to make some moves mid season as well.

Chelsea...hmmm Conte is an interesting case, spoiled in Italy with an all star line up, he is coming into a club inheriting a very very good keeper. He will really need to keep guys like Hazard happy and positive after a terrible last season. I'm surprised he hasn't poached one of his old boys from Juve yet.

Top 5
Man City
Man Utd
Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea

Next 5
Everton
Stoke
West Ham
Leicester
Pool

Relegated
Hull
Burnley
Swansea/Bournemouth

Leicester will be in the top 10 due to the parity from 10-20 its a shit show to be honest.

No wildcard team this season like Leicester winning it last time, but more of a wildcard season in the sense I could see any of your top 5 teams winning the league. Yes both Manchesters are bookies favorites with their squads and managers but I could see any of these 5 battle until the end to win it.

Agree about Wenger but it is what it is, he did say last week the objective is winning the league so he can't hide with only top 4 being the objective anymore. Also he did buy Ozil, Sanchez, Cech in successive summer windows and Xhaka this summer is a good start who I believe will be very important for the stability and pace of the team even if he is not a big name yet. No enforcer like Viera but I would argue no english team has one like that and the Arsenal midfield is one of the very best in the league in my opinion with some depth in both defensive/offensive midfield.

About the injuries, we have Welbeck sidelined until the end of the year who can be an important part of the team when healthy, Mertesacker/Gabriel Jesus out for some time too so Arsenal have already their fair share of bad luck with injuries. But let's hope the others who are injury prone like Wilshere/Cazorla can stay fit.. Wenger should buy a new CB soon, Mustafi probably I'm hearing he is the priority. And a striker is needed otherwise I would have to say the ceiling might be 4th place for Arsenal..

And concerning the relegation zone, I really have no idea yet, I like to watch the start of season and evaluate those teams when they play their first games no time to follow the offseason of all the teams. I remember last season an expert at the bbc picked Leicester to be relegated so anything can happen!

In regards to the enforcer...N'Golo Kante
Enough said, dude was integral and look what the result was?

yes the league has changed dramatically in the last decade but at the same time you still have a midfield general that will boss the pace of play both offensively and defensively.

Guys like Dele, Kante heck even Gana play such huge roles on both sides of the pitch.

Hull seem like a freaking mess, Phelan will be an interesting add but if Abel Hernandez leaves for Villa...they are royally fucked

I think Liverpool finish between 5th-10th as well, could be wrong but we will see.

Agree with Kante he was maybe the most valuable player for Leicester, but Arsene got El Neny and Xhaka to replace the deadwood that were Flamini and Arteta last season, therefore Kante was not really needed anymore. By the way I was not suggesting Arsenal had the best midfield in the league now, just that we are up there with the best and if we fail this season it won't be because of the midfield, more likely because of the central defence and attack if we don't reinforce.. I would have loved Mkitharyan I believe Wenger was really interested but didn want to align with the salary Man Utd offered, read reports he is on close to 200'000£/week, that's more than the best earner at Arsenal..

havent really looked at anything yet but to me Liverpool are a year away

you look at what Poch did with Spurs bringing in a system that needs specific players, he took a full season of relative struggles before it took hold, their first year they finished 5th with 64 points which isn't a lot less than last year but the way they played is, they were lucky that season to get 5th as they got probably 10 points specifically just with Eriksen goals after the 85th minute

the difference in shots for/against/possession etc. between his first full season and 2nd full season are night and say

if Klopp is good enough to get that kind of change with Liverpool I don't think it's in full swing until next year (season) or maybe later through this year

will struggle balancing squad with Champions League

I dont think thats really an issue, it's harder to do with Europa and they did it fine

plus way more depth this year, every position has a backup that should play in 25+ games this year

already rotate the fullbacks consistently
have 3 CBs Poch trusts

Dier/Dembele/Wanyama/Alli (Winks*) can all play in the 2 CM spots (Mason/Bentaleb as well)

Eriksen/Lamela/Alli/Son/Onomah/N'koudoh (Edwards*) all behind striker and offer a variety of play styles

Kane/Janssen

Winks and Edwards will be the two youth members that Poch pushes for playing time this year, will definitely get cup games and some PL sub appearances and if they impress get more and more

I think depth wise they are extremely well off

Stones for 42m official

that's hilarious, he might turn out great but there's every chance he is Phil Jones too

id rather have Ash Williams for 12m

Everton got better today

Also he's been rumored to them for 3 years, and with the injuries they have at CB now, I have no clue why Arsenal didnt just offer Swansea 12m or whatever and hijack the Williams sale to Everton

Here are my predictions:
[FONT=&amp]1-ManUnited. Times are bright at OT for a big season. It seems Pogba is just about a done deal and this brings another dynamic player to a very deep team. with the likes of Zlatan, Martial, Rooney and Rashford in the attack, there is plenty to choose from. Mkityarin will hit the ground running and his brilliance will be on display on the biggest stage. Carrick back to playing the defensive midfielder really sures up the defensive posture and United add another athletic CB to pair up with Smalling. So much experience all over the field, and a very good mix of youth and experience. And still with one of the best GKs on the planet, if United able to get another 0.5 gpg or so, they should be just fine to win the title.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2-ManCity. Certainly no shortage of fire power in the attack. KdB, Sterling, Silva, Aguero, Bony all are dangerous - and plenty of depth in midfield and attack. Goals should not be the problem. I do see an issue in the back. Hart is in my eyes one of the most overrated GKs in the league (if not the world). And I think the once stout City defense has a lot of questions abound. Adding Stones would help, but I just see an aging, decaying defense - very similar to what Chelsea had last year which was severely exposed. I'm sure Pep will try to control the ball, but thats another issue in that City are just brilliant on the counter. YaYa and Silvas play has fallen off, I'm not sure the current City side pair well with what Pep has done in the past. We shall see.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]3-Chelsea. Pretty evident that a change needed to be made after the disaster of last season and Conte just seems to be perfect. Their midfield just designed to run opponents ragged and you have to assume an improvement in form from Hazard will assist in the attack. Should be a lot of grinding games, I think opponents will very much dislike playing against the Blues this year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]4-Spurs. this is fully a team on the come, littered with young good players all over the pitch. Just look at all the impact players on the team over the age of 26. Vertonghen and Alderweild are 29 as is Lloris (but really that is a prime age for a gk). And that is it. Everyone else 26 or younger. Two issues keep me from picking this team higher. 1) Not quite as deep as the teams above them and with CL play this year, this could be an issue. Spurs oftentimes were vulnerable in years past after midweek games. 2) overreliance on one Harry Kane to get the key goal. They need to find more consistent scoring from a secondary source in my eyes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]5-Arsenal. I think Arsenal need to make a change. It seems forever they have been content to be good, not great, get into the top 4, take CL money and look for bargains in the transfer market. That formula worked well for years, but with the stupid money now available, Arsenal been too slow to adjust and I think this will be the year changes be made. Wenger a fine soccer mind, but Arsenal just not better than most of the best teams in England and Europe any more. They are just 'in the mix'. They will be decent enough again, but a 5-6 finish will not surprise me at all.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]6-Liverpool. I'm not drinking the Klopp punch just yet. Central defense and GK's just not good enough. Attack may be fun if everyone is at full health, but I dont think Lallana and Milner are anywhere near the level of wingers that Dortmunds attack had in the past. I would be shocked if they finished top 4, I really think 6 is their peak.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]7-Southampton. Liverpool feeder club still with talent but obviously lost quite a bit in the off season. At this point the teams from 6-12 or so are really interchangeable, so wouldnt surprise me to see Southampton at 7th or 12th, I'll give them the benefit of doubt based on talent alone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]8-Leicester City. Shame that the team already lost a few key players and very well may lose Mahrez too. It would have been fun to see if it really were the worlds largest ever fluke or this gutty squad could come close to replicating results. Thin roster, increase of high leverage matches, I just cant see Leicester coming close to the lofty goals of last year. Ill put them this high in hope, but wouldn't surprise me to see a 15th place finish simply due to attrition[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]9-Everton. Mundane table position for a middling club. Not much to be excited for here in my eyes. Defense and goal is relatively weak and loss of Stones wouldn't help. Barkley, Lukaku, Deulofeu, a few nice young pieces surrounded by mostly dreck and guys well past their prime.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]10-West Ham. I want to put the Hammers higher, but I just dont see it. Defense isnt very good and Cresswell already injured. I think Payet is pretty discontent and wants to play for a bigger club. Most of the guys on this club are in the sweet spot of 25-29 years old, but they are just shy of having the talent of playing for the best clubs, and not bad enough to be key contributors to lesser clubs. so 10th seems just about right for them[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]11-Swansea. Don't see enough goals out of them to push much higher than this. Don't see enough weakness to have them in danger of dropping. 11-15 range for Swans seems right, although I could see them even further back with an injury or two as this team is not all that deep.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]12-Crystal Palace. Defense is okay, midfield is good....if they could only find a striker or two. We shall see how long Pardew sticks around, but on talent alone I think this team should have no issues staying above the drop and I'll fancy them for a surprise finish nearer to 10. Plus, you have to love the Palace fans, so keeping them around for years is a nice juxtaposition against the dullards in OT or the Emirates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]13-16 Middlesbrough/Stoke/Sunderland/Watford[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]At this point I'm running out of much positives to mention about each team so I'll just lump these 4 teams together as a whole bunch of meh. I think they will all steer clear of danger and make it another year. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]17-West Bromwich. The never ending saga of Beranhio aside, this team still with just barely enough talent to stay up. An older lot, and surely more susceptible to injury, Lambert, Fletcher, Brunt, Morrison, Olsson all will probably be relied upon to be key performers, all on the wrong side of 30. Johnny Evans coming up on 30, just seems to me this team is a rag tag collection of mediocre players, but when they are all out there, they are professional, play hard and I do like TP as a manager. But, very easy for me to see an injury or 5 take this club apart and lend them in a very uncomfortable position around April of 2017.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]18-20 Burnley, Bournemouth, Hull[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]These three should be relegated but will fight tooth and nail each week for points. I think Hull and Bournemouth I would tip for 19th and 20th, but I'll root a bit for Burnley to stay up. We shall see.[/FONT]

Also he's been rumored to them for 3 years, and with the injuries they have at CB now, I have no clue why Arsenal didnt just offer Swansea 12m or whatever and hijack the Williams sale to Everton

Agree I would have liked Williams but preferably a few years ago now he's almost 32, I suppose Wenger prefers to go with a younger guy like Mustafi who is 24 years old. Not done yet but I believe the talks are fairly advanced with him.

Nice write-ups dy

Agree for the most part give/take, guess I'm higher on Stoke than you and that probably comes from enjoying watching their matches last season, just loved how they played. 7-12 look like a crapshoot to me

aside from Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Pool, lets face it it's a real crap shoot.
Southampton have time again surprised people but damn there's no stability with the manager position there. New manager in Puel not too sure if I like him in the BPL just yet.

The gap is just so big. Spurs honestly been the most consistent team out of the bunch for their standards, once their new stadium is complete that is a shit ton of cash flow coming in...sooner or later they will finish above Arsenal lol.

Think the team that wins it this year must have the best record against the 7-20 teams, there were a shit ton of points lost last season from the big boys e.g. Man City, Chelsea.

Back